Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 831 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 19, 2012, 16:05 Orogogus

I guess it's possible that people in AU/NZ and Canada might get less of a raw deal in MS points than they do with US $ conversions. And there were scammers who were able to get free points and eBay them. Other than that, kind of a mystery.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Rangers HD: A War Apart Announced
28. Re: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart Announced Apr 18, 2012, 19:00 Orogogus

Lord Tea wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 18:54:
I've always wondered what made them decide to add some shitty 3d-RTS to an otherwise great turn-based game. How about keeping the turn-based top-view gameplay on the planet surface but with different features/scenarios?!?

People who want a turn-based game will most likely get turned off by 3d-RTS (and vice versa)...

Other parts of the game were a mishmash, too. The black holes were an arcadey top-down space shooter, and some of the missions were choose-your-own-adventures or puzzles. The RTS was just a lot worse than those other components.

19. Re: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart Announced Apr 18, 2012, 13:49 Orogogus

PHJF wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 13:37:
Didn't this shit have starforce? I remember being keenly interested in Space Rangers if not for that...
Ya. I think the discount jewel case version didn't have Starforce, and I'm not sure about the Steam version. But the initial release of SR2 definitely did.

15. Re: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart Announced Apr 18, 2012, 13:03 Orogogus

The RTS missions give you way, way more money late in the game, for basically no reason at all.

The worst thing about the degradation was that there was a maintenance skill. I hated that in SR2 and in System Shock 2. Points going towards not bleeding money and lessening misery are points not spent towards being awesome.

12. Re: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart Announced Apr 18, 2012, 12:14 Orogogus

It might have just been money, now that I think about it. It was the black holes that gave you stuff you couldn't get elsewhere. I think. But late in the game those RTS scenarios give you a lot of money. In any case you could skip them all and complete the game.

I doubt anyone forced them to put in the RTS. They're Russian, they do whatever they want.

The other thing I wasn't too fond of in SR2 was the spiraling maintenance costs. It's not too hard to adjust to it and plan for it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the way every other game does it where you install new gear and it never breaks and your ship becomes that much more killy. Maintenance didn't really add anything particularly fun, and finding awesome gear but not being able to afford the upkeep was a drag.

News Comments > Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints
11. Re: Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints Apr 18, 2012, 11:27 Orogogus

Frijoles wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 11:19:
I thought it was over too.

Spoiler:
Didn't they destroy obelisk thing (which I thought was a cool sequence)? Although I'm having a memory of his dead wife being in the ship with him.

I can't remember the ending.
More spoilers:
Dead wife was the ending of DS1. They destroy markers at the end of DS1 and DS2, but the one at the end of DS2 was a new one. There are still others in the universe, including the one from DS1 and the original on Earth.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 11:21 Orogogus

That site with Wasteland is pretty sketchy. At least some (and I would guess most) of the links are up with the abandonware defense.

Also, I didn't play through it, but Wasteland is missing a lot of its story without the game manual (that is, the game tells you to read journal entry X from the manual instead of putting the text in the game).

6. Re: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart Announced Apr 18, 2012, 11:15 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 09:29:
SWEET. I LOVE that game!

(and yes, the RTS missions SUCKED, fortunately they had the foresight to make it an option to just skip them).

Didn't you lose out on the bonuses if you skipped them? But yeah, up until I skipped them those missions constituted the worst RTS bar none I've ever played, down to and including free Flash games.

News Comments > Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints
9. Re: Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints Apr 18, 2012, 11:13 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 11:06:
How can you possible die at the beginning of DS2, heck someone even screams RUN RUN for like 30 seconds and everything guides you monsters left and right for one... only 1 way to go..

It's easy to bite it if you turn the wrong way or get stuck on geometry for just a second or two. But still, it's kind of hard to not get past it after 5 minutes of trying.

And I don't know about milking the Dead Space cow. The story clearly isn't over yet. There are some pretty bad spinoffs and side stories, though.

News Comments > Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL
58. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 20:33 Orogogus

nin wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 19:42:
I'm not sure if Blue is saving it for tomorrow or decided against posting it, but according to this:

"On the matter of GFWL, just shy of 20,000 people have now signed a new petition asking for the bloated horror’s removal from the PC version. Nacom told VG247 that GFWL’s inclusion was “still to be decided”, so perhaps there is yet hope they’ll opt for something else."

So keep bitching, people!

I saw that. It's kind of a shitty petition, unfortunately. "Slap in the face" is the kind of language that would make me crumple it up if it were a real letter, and they misspelled deterrent. But mostly I think suggesting that the game will be pirated if it's on GFWL but not if it's on Steam gives the impression that either the petition writers are drooling imbeciles, or else they think Namco Bandai are. Everything that's not an MMO going through an online gateway gets pirated. Suggesting otherwise just damages any attempt at useful discussion.

It also fails to suggest how Steamworks is going to be cheaper than GFWL, which I think is an even bigger question for Namco than selling X number of copies. It's impossible to say for sure how much more or less a game would have sold if only they had done Y, but costs are very real. I hear that the only thing GFWL has to offer is that it makes it easier (i.e., cheaper) to port games from the 360, and given the minimal keyboard/mouse support described in the article, Namco is clearly going for the cheapest option.

I also kind of think that if Namco concedes they'll have a reputation for caving in, and then they'll have to deal with petitions for every pet cause that PC players like to lug around: better KBAM support (inc. rebindings) and menus designed for PCs, FOV, completely-DRM free GOG version, support for deaf gamers, saving anywhere, simultaneous worldwide release, dedicated servers, DLC equality, a more narratively cohesive ending, LAN support, and so on, and so on. I think there was one guy here who wouldn't play games without 3D glasses support.

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
47. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 17, 2012, 19:58 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 09:55:
I don't buy the argument that they make more money per sale and that somehow eclipses all Steam sales. Steam has something absurd like 35ish million active accounts last time I checked. Just even the impulse buys on a platform that large would likely dwarf first run sales on Origin. They are quite likely missing out on a lot of money to build out the Origin platform but I'm not sure they understand quite what they're up against - both their own negative reputation and consumers desire to use as few platforms as possible.

40M Steam (Jan 2012) and 9M Origin (Feb, PC Gamer), apparently. They're doing better than I would have thought, honestly, and large enough that I have doubts about whether the impulse buyers are such a significant factor. I'm sure it would for low priced indie games, but not so much for full priced games. And people seem willing to sign up for GOG, and of course Battle.net is probably bigger than Steam.

News Comments > Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL
51. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 19:30 Orogogus

frag.machine wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 18:59:
Iurand wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 11:13:
MajorD wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 10:48:
GFWL has left a lot to be desired since its birth without many improvements along the way. You would think the largest OS developer on the planet would get it right and get a clue from all the negativity from gamers (i.e. Dark Souls petition), but NO, they just keep throwing enough money and attention at it just to keep it afloat without any modifications, changes, or improvements.

Because improving PC gamimg isn't Microsoft goal. Their goal is sell more Xboxes, and every game sold as PC and not Xbox is loss for them. They have to make our experience as miserable as possible, so we would go to promised land and paise them how Xbox Live is so much better than GFWL.

^^^ This. A thousand times. Microsoft is maybe one of the main culprits for the currently sorry state of PC gaming. DIAF, GFWL. You won't be missed.

You would think if Microsoft was actively malicious instead of incompetent and/or apathetic, they would be able to do a lot more to screw gaming on the PC. They control the operating system and DirectX. Presumably the developers want to make money, too, and it's hard to imagine that Namco Bandai went along with a plan to make PCs look bad when it would be a lot easier to just not make their port.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+
21. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 15:18 Orogogus

MacLeod wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 14:52:
Beelzebud wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 14:43:
No sympathy for that team that blew 3 grand on a trip to Pax East instead of putting in to development costs of their game. Trade shows are not essential to development at all.

Yea, if I'd donated, I'd be a bit ticked at the PAX and iPad thing. (which they bought for PAX because they realized they didn't want to demo the game on their personal phones there.)

What I want to know is who has the SSI / Avalon Hill property rights to Star Command and when are they going to come out and demand a name change?

Wikipedia's description of SSI's Star Command sounds a lot like this new Star Command game:

"The player creates a crew of eight characters. The crew completes missions from Star Command to earn credits and train personnel. The crew can explore planets to obtain valuable elements, and can board intact enemy ships to fight their foes man-to-man and commandeer the enemy ship"

I'm 97% sure that the Wikipedia article is wrong when it says Star Command was based on an Avalon Hill game. No such boardgame shows up on any searches, and the video game manual doesn't make any acknowledgment whatsoever.

As far as the video game rights, as far as I know they're held by Ubisoft. But SSI went through some acquisitions before getting there, and I wouldn't be surprised if all their lesser known games are in legal obscurity now. I've always wondered how Take 2 was able to use the Stronghold name.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2012, 00:53 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 15:45:
I haven't felt addicted to a game as much as to Grimrock in a long, long while. Forgot how sweet the DM-type of gameplay is.

Can't wait for user content to start flooding. If they can recreate the Wizardrys, DM and the 3 EotBs then there will be enough gaming material here to last for several months.

The Wizardry games aren't the same thing. The levels weren't designed to give any room for dancing around, and shrinking down the monster groups to fit into an EotB style game would make it not really the same game at all; there are spells to hit one enemy group and other spells to hit all the groups you're fighting. Also, given the limitations of the technology they didn't have any secret doors where you pushed a button, either. The whole series seems like it would be a rather awkward fit.

Eye of the Beholder III was the same kind of game, but it was kind of garbage. Worst entry in the genre, as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't enjoy Stonekeep much, either, but it's another one in the same mold. The Lands of Lore games were better, but my favorite is still Eye of the Beholder 2.

News Comments > EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue
20. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 16:03 Orogogus

People might not be able to quote the C&D letters, but they should still generate talk. If Warseer went down it would be pretty hard for GW to cover up their involvement.

Like, BGG:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4271330#4271330

Apparently GW had specifically named 4 items, and asked BGG to also check their other stuff and remove anything that was infringing. BGG took down all the GW files hosted on their site at that time (although their policy must have changed since then, since there are GW-related files up again; probably they just have someone checking them now).

WarhammerAlliance.com changed their domain to WHAlliance.com, and is still around.

The dakkadakka post lists 8 links in the OP, 6 of which are still up either with new domain names... or with the original domain unchanged. It looks like Bloodbowl.net may have become www.thenaf.net, but I'm not really sure. Posts elsewhere on the Internet suggest that the 8th site, Port Maw, vanished after it got hacked, not after the C&D.

Regarding eBay, your link suggests that they go after storefronts on eBay, not individuals selling their minis. An eBay search for Space Marine gets nearly 13K results.

Supposedly they do go after online retailers, but it's not clear how that works, as there are a few right on Amazon. GW does direct online sales, and has their own storefronts, which is guaranteed, in any industry, to generate conflict with the 3rd party distributors who got you to that point. But that's kind of separate from suing fans.

To be clear, I did try to do my own research. It just doesn't seem to turn up a pattern of suing fans and being unwilling to reach any accommodation whatsoever. If there were, whitewashed wikis aside, it shouldn't be this hard to find.

News Comments > EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue
18. Re: EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue Apr 14, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 11:39:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 09:01:
What a ridiculous statement. Companies have the right to protect their intellectual property from copyright infringement. It's funny how you're trying to make Games Workshop look like the bad guys here when in fact it was EA ripping off their designs.

Games Workshop has a long history of being bad guys. They legally go after their own fans. You really need to familiarize yourself with Games Workshop's litigious history.

What is the history? I went through this with Dev yesterday, and suffice to say I still think his examples were kind of, well, batshit stupid. There are a hell of a lot of fansites out there, so who's been shut down before? A Google search shows at least two that actually went to court: the Warhammer Alliance thing (where as far as I can tell they changed their domain name and are still up), and some company called Chapterhouse making knockoff miniatures (still in court). If there is a longreaching history, is anyone keeping track of it all?

There are more cease and desists in addition to the above, but even then I don't see much evidence of people actually shutting down a site because of one. Genuinely curious, as a lot of people repeat the fact of GW's litigiousness, but evidence is somewhat scarce.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
40. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 13:45 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:29:
All of that totally aside from the very likely legal action that Valve would face from Microsoft or that Valve might have to take against Microsoft to make that Valve PC become a reality. Or legal action from publishers who might be OK with their game on Steam in a free PC market but don't want their game on a Steambox PC. Remember that Valve does not own the games they sell.

What publishers would that even be? There are, I think, two Microsoft games on Steam (Fable 3 and Microsoft Flight). Who else would be all, "Oh no, please, please don't sell our game to people who want to give us money?" And even if it came up, why would it go to legal action? Why wouldn't Valve honor the publishers' requests?

I think the threat of legal action from Microsoft is farfetched, too. What legal leg would they have to stand on to not allow someone to sell PCs with Windows? Do they want to get a DoJ investigation for abuse of monopoly powers?

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
24. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 12:30 Orogogus

Narf2029 wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 10:11:
Kind of worrisome. Having a console directly associated with Steam creates pressure toward making games that run on its hardware, however old or underpowered/"affordable" it may be. Why would a publisher want to put a game on Steam if all the console-only users could not run it?

1. That's hardly different from the current situation with the 360 and PS3.

2. They have to make games towards some kind of target. Even for PC games you lose more potential customers as your system requirements go up.

3. I think there's definitely room in the market for something in between ridiculously overpriced Alienware monstrosities and Dell machines with Intel onboard graphics. People are always, always harping about how easy it is to build your own $500 gaming desktop that plays everything at high settings, but that's neither Alienware nor Dell, and to be honest it took just one bad part and 9 hours of troubleshooting for me to never want to build another computer ever again. Valve at least has incentive for more people to own gaming computers beyond making money off the hardware.

News Comments > EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration?
64. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 13, 2012, 02:23 Orogogus

Final Liberation wasn't a 1:1 translation of the rules for Epic 40K (which was never nearly as popular as 40K). It only had, I think, 3 incomplete armies. Its terrain was kind of anemic. Plus it was pretty clunky watching your little guys move around and fire. And you couldn't paint or customize your units. So there was a lot going against it.

I'm just inclined to think that an actual 1:1 tabletop simulation would do for their bread-and-butter tabletop game what the Internet has done for newspapers. Good for consumers, but kind of hard to spin into something that's in their best interest, even as price gougy as they are.

News Comments > EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration?
62. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 23:26 Orogogus

Drezden wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 21:28:
I'd love a full on tabletop simulation. Turn basted Strategy based on 40K. But it'll never happen. I think I'm in the minority.
Everyone wants that except Games Workshop. Playing with minis is kind of a big, big hassle. But to be fair, it's hard to imagine it turning out well for them. I'm kind of surprised none of their also-ran competitors have tried it, though.

831 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo