Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 922 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. May 24, 2012, 16:49 Orogogus

As Creston said, my problem wasn't the length per se, but the repetition. "More testing!" was a line that I got plenty sick of. 1. Get new toy. 2. Get an easy map with new toy. 3. Get a hard map with new toy. 4. Then another one. Repeat a few dozen times, adding in plot maybe every sixth or seventh iteration.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. May 24, 2012, 14:21 Orogogus

It's probably because I did play Portal 1 first that the second seemed to draaaaaaag.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 24, 2012, 13:29 Orogogus

Kastagir wrote on May 24, 2012, 13:02:
I used to be quite proud to say I hadn't purchased a single Valve title since the Orange Box, but I recently picked up Portal 2 on sale. It was cute, but about 3-4 times longer than it needed to be.

That was my opinion, too, but I've seen several people here bitching that the game was too short. Myself, by about 2/3 of the way through I was wondering why the game wasn't over yet.

Co-op was fun, but it had the same pacing problems.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
115. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 23:30 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 23, 2012, 22:54:
Orogogus wrote on May 23, 2012, 16:38:
entr0py wrote on May 23, 2012, 15:50:
Blizzard has become a lot like Apple. They make very well crafted and unique products that come with unreasonable terms of use that customers wouldn't tolerate from any other company.

To be fair, people just recently put up with something similar for Mass Effect 3.

How so? I'm not defending ME3; it's a broken piece of shit in MP, and the SP... well, we've talked about that enough.

But it DOES have an offline mode. You can't play MP in offline mode, obviously, but the SP works just fine. Admittedly the offline mode was broken on launch, but it works just fine now.

Creston

I was under the impression (from a lot of complaining posts) that you had to install Origin and authenticate online before you could play the singleplayer, even if you bought retail discs. Also that you were locked out of your DLC while offline. And I guess a forum ban can get you locked out of your Origin account? Some of the problems seem like they're sliding down the same slope, at least.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
74. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 16:38 Orogogus

entr0py wrote on May 23, 2012, 15:50:
Blizzard has become a lot like Apple. They make very well crafted and unique products that come with unreasonable terms of use that customers wouldn't tolerate from any other company.

To be fair, people just recently put up with something similar for Mass Effect 3.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare May 23, 2012, 12:53 Orogogus

Verno wrote on May 23, 2012, 12:31:
Orogogus wrote on May 23, 2012, 11:55:
I haven't seen that the PS3 and Xbox have a significantly different market. I think nearly everything on the PS3 is available on the 360 (and vice versa) other than a handful of exclusives, and the 360 versions outsell the PS3 anyway. The Take 2 data showed a revenue split of 50% Xbox/28% PS3 for the fiscal year, and I think all their console titles were dual platform.

I was talking more about the reception of exclusive properties (Alan Wake was one) and the diversity of those, not raw revenues. I don't see titles like say Heavy Rain having the same success on the 360. Just because they share some cross platform games doesn't mean the audiences skew the same on everything.

I just get the impression that the skew is largely imaginary. With the Wii, you'd see significant variance, but from what I've seen of people's game libraries, PS3 and 360 owners play basically the same games. What skew that exists is more regional (between countries), rather than between the PS3/360 platforms. I really don't think that if Uncharted were released on 360, or Halo on the PS3, that there would be any dissonance; their exclusive properties are by and large aimed at the exact same target demographics. Maybe more Japanophile on the PS3, but that group seems to gravitate towards the Wii anyway.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare May 23, 2012, 11:55 Orogogus

I haven't seen that the PS3 and Xbox have a significantly different market. I think nearly everything on the PS3 is available on the 360 (and vice versa) other than a handful of exclusives, and the 360 versions outsell the PS3 anyway. The Take 2 data showed a revenue split of 50% Xbox/28% PS3 for the fiscal year, and I think all their console titles were dual platform.  

News Comments > New DayZ Mod
42. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 11:33 Orogogus

zombiefan wrote on May 23, 2012, 07:38:
LittleMe wrote on May 23, 2012, 00:18:
zombiefan wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:58:
Better yet, just get rid of the ridiculous "real-time" day and night cycles and institute a 60 minute day/night arc. That way you can at least experience each through a play session.

60 minute days? Yuck. 6-9 hours would be nice though. That was one of the best changes to Fallout 3 and New Vegas that I did was increase the timescale 1/3rd real time.

BTW, there are servers running alternate time settings so you can play in daylight at night. As Shok said "just looked for US servers with "UTC +4" in their names."

Well, whatever. Just so long as its not the real time day/night cycle they have going now.

I can see the point of your 60 minute suggestion. What good does 6-9 hours do unless your gaming sessions are 12 hours long, and you play every day?

News Comments > Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed
12. Re: Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed May 23, 2012, 05:23 Orogogus

I think it's more interesting that for 4Q 2011, only 12% of their revenue came from "PC and other," but total sales (console & PC) are apparently split 19/81% between downloaded and retail sales, "driven by offerings for the Grand Theft Auto franchise, the Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, NBA 2K12 and L.A. Noire." I wish they'd broken down the split by platform. For downloads Civ is PC and RDR is console, obviously. How long has it been since the Red Dead Redemption DLC was released?  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer
30. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 21:01 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:51:
Wallshadows wrote on May 22, 2012, 09:51:
Nice easter egg with the lower half of Bishop still on deck...

...wait...didn't Ripley open up the god damn air lock to blow the Queen out in to space? How did it manage to stay there and not follow suite...

He was hanging on to the floor grating while grabbing Newt, which is how they were both around for Alien 3. Well, Bishop's top half and Newt's corpse were anyway.

It's the lower half you see in the trailer, though (0:53).

Edit: Ah, edited. Oh well.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
17. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 12:24 Orogogus

Necrophob wrote on May 22, 2012, 12:14:
Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2012, 11:29:
I wouldn't say Myth was heavily LOTR influenced; the primary inspiration is pretty clearly Glen Cook's Black Company books, one of the relatively few fantasy series of that time to get away from elves and dwarves and dragons.

I've never read Glen Cook, but the bad guys reminded me of LOTR. Balor seemed sort of like Sauron to me, with the Fallen reminding me of the Ring Wraiths.

Ah. That's something almost directly out of the Black Company books: one big bad guy (the Dominator) and his enslaved lieutenants, the Taken. That much is similar to LotR, but a lot of the other elements of Myth (especially the way wizards are treated) are closer to the Black Company than LotR. Also, the way the story is told from the military's point of view, rather than the hero's.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
224. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 11:47 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 10:57:
Up to this year D2 was still the go-to ARPG.

Got to disagree with you there. D2 is absolutely murder on the eyes with today's big screens - I'll take Titan Quest any day.

Well, I agree with you personally, but for whatever reason on other forums I would see people organize for D2 and not Titan's Quest, which is regularly like $5 on Steam. And I guess people get used to terrible resolutions somehow and play the Infinity Engine games. But yeah, when I look at it all I see are giant pixels everywhere.

At least one person was bitching heavily about rubberbanding in TQ, whatever that is. So maybe it's flat out unplayable for some people? If TQ is unplayable, I can't think of another significant ARPG that supports co-op. Dungeon Siege? Nox?

222. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 11:40 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on May 22, 2012, 10:37:
Actually, since they have removed stats and skill choices from the leveling process, couldn't they just start your character out at the appropriate level when you choose a higher difficulty mode?

It seems to me that this would be a much better option now that leveling is completely automated.

I'd think this would have been easier to do this when they had stats and skills; you would just assign the points, like you do in any RPG that doesn't start you out at level 1. But I guess the purists who hate respecs would have a conniption if it were that easy.

It would be harder here since you're expected to be have your loot from earlier runs, and the loot is that much more important without the stats & skills.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
15. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 11:29 Orogogus

I wouldn't say Myth was heavily LOTR influenced; the primary inspiration is pretty clearly Glen Cook's Black Company books, one of the relatively few fantasy series of that time to get away from elves and dwarves and dragons.  

171. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 02:20 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 00:58:
Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:53:
Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged.

If they spend any time on the internet at all I bet they understand the concept of "hacked accounts" and "unable to login". Not to mention given that 12 years have passed, I'm guessing that there is a whole new demographic of young, computer savvy kids who were but mere toddlers when Diablo 2 was released.

Those people probably played D2 anyway. D2 was still selling strong way, way after it was released. There wasn't really ever another game in the genre that utterly eclipsed it. Up to this year D2 was still the go-to ARPG.

The hacked accounts and login issues look like it would be more of an outrage on the principle of the thing, which average schmoes don't really go in for. My distinct impression from this thread and the other one is that the majority of people are able to log in now and haven't had their stuff stolen.

161. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 23:04 Orogogus

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 23:01:
MattyC wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:54:
Eh, as someone that got D3, I feel you are using the term abuse incorrectly. You are free to hate the game, just don't speak for me. I thought it wasn't amazing, but was a decent game that was worth the cost.

Whether you enjoy the game or not doesn't change that they've included must-always-be-online DRM on the SP with the only gain being "you can use the AH in SP". It's a really greedy move with the thinnest veneer of a "benefit".

Well, if the game is enjoyable, then it's not really selling on name alone; it's not just customer abuse in a box.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer
6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 21, 2012, 20:55 Orogogus

I think the video's supposed to be hidden behind the link, not right on the front page of Blue's.

Edit: ...and fixed.

152. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:53 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged. It's the series that defines the genre. Anecdotally speaking, I know several people who've jumped on board not knowing anything about the games (or indeed, games in general), and none from that demographic who've been dissuaded by always-online. The commercial trailers seem to weigh a lot more than the user Metacritic scores or Kotaku articles. It's the people not new to the series that they have to worry about.

148. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 20:28 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm crazy if I say it. Starcraft was a good game in its time and so was D1 and D2. But they weren't 'earth-shattering, world-creating' good. World of Warcraft is the most bewildering success story I have ever seen and I have no real explanation for it.

SC/SC2/D1/D2/WC/WC2/WC3 (and apparently WoW for a good stretch) ran on relatively low specs for their time. At my workplace people were able to play them on their work computers, which were bottom line machines not bought with gaming in mind. Turns off hardcore PC gamers, but appeals to everyone else.

And aside from that, they're simple to play -- the polish helps -- and Blizzard knows how to make a summer blockbuster movie in game form while exposing hints of a broader lore. I know people were saying that story doesn't matter in an ARPG, but with regards to TL1, god damn but I didn't care about the Ember, the girl, her teacher, or anything else in the game. I can't speak to WoW or D3, but in their other games they've done a good job of putting in the extra bit of work to make the world at least a little interesting. Even in D1, which had barely any cutscenes to speak of, there was decently-written background lore in the manual.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013
25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 19:49 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:39:
I feel like the RPG was a pretty bad idea, too. The enemy list relating to Aliens is played out, with relatively little variety compared to almost any game out there. Their hand-to-hand nature would tend to make RPG combat repetitive -- what's going to happen in this mission? Well, aliens might burst out of the walls and floors and ceilings and try to eat my Marines to death. The suspense is kind of missing, especially the OMG! ALIENS!!! WTF!! thing that the movies revolve around.

Yeah, xenomorphs have grown a bit stale. You already know pretty much everything about them. Granted, Obsidian could have taken some creative liberties here and there. Xenomorphs are supposed to retain characteristics from their host, so if there were other non-xenomorph aliens to impregnate, that could have made for some interesting enemy variety.

I think the first time you run into an acid-spitting alien, a flamethrower alien or an elephant/Ultralisk/Carnifex sized alien, you'd just stop and wonder, "Am I still playing an Aliens game?" At which point, again, it makes more sense to just make a new franchise, or at least use one that gives you a little more to work with than 3-4 monsters, 3 vehicles, a handful of guns and a power loader suit. Warhammer 40K, Starcraft, Dead Space. Freaking Starship Troopers. Even Xenophobe, or Incubation.

922 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo