Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 831 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warplanes Trailer
10. Re: World of Warplanes Trailer May 8, 2012, 21:02 Orogogus

Ozmodan wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:25:
Manuverability is tantamount in a plane fight.

The word you're looking for is "paramount."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Dead Space & Need for Speed Within a Year
4. Re: New Dead Space & Need for Speed Within a Year May 8, 2012, 02:21 Orogogus

I don't know if you finished the first game, but (spoiler text)

the Marker in the first game was manmade, too. The original was found on Earth. The humans made a copy, brought it to Aegis VII and turned it on. Things went to hell, they built the pedestal and sealed the infection, then quarantined the planet until the illegal mining operation brought it back to light.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
65. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:33 Orogogus

If memory serves, repairing costs an minimal amount of gold. Isn't gambling the only thing that consumes anything more than an utterly marginal amount of gold by the time you're part way through the early game?  

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
62. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:24 Orogogus

As an extremely casual player, I've always wondered -- what was the point of making you identify stuff and repair your gear? Did they test it without these things and players's brains just rejected a game that let you keep hacking away without ever going back to town? Or do some people find the restock and repair parts fun?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 6, 2012, 16:52 Orogogus

If you can't understand why more people are spending money to get actual games instead of preorder promises, then the line between enthusiasm and rabid fanboyism was crossed a while ago.  

News Comments > Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Preorders; Specs
8. Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Preorders; Specs May 6, 2012, 16:05 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 6, 2012, 02:14:
I don't really understand why publishers continue to use GFWL. Usually I'd suspect that MS was bribing them but I don't think MS cares enough about PC gaming to even bother. I'm guessing that porting a X360 game to PC is just easier when you use GFWL for the matchmaking, leaderboards and achievements.

I gather that it's easier for networking, period, beyond the matchmaking component.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 May 6, 2012, 15:55 Orogogus

deqer wrote on May 6, 2012, 14:04:
I honestly can't believe Torchlight II isn't #1. I guess people are buying it from elsewhere, or they haven't been watching the live beta stream

Alternatively, the game isn't out yet and the preorder incentive is pretty lame.

News Comments > Sherlock Holmes to Testify in September
13. Re: Sherlock Holmes to Testify in September May 4, 2012, 12:21 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2012, 02:40:
I'm inclined to agree with Prez here. I think most adventure game fans care about interesting stories and characters more than obtuse and convoluted puzzles.

I think it might be a dead heat. A lot of people are extremely nostalgic about the King's Quest, Space Quest,(early) Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games, and I think these 4 series were extremely puzzle- rather than story/character-oriented. King's Quest and LSL had a particularly high number of arbitrary solutions, too (the same for Westwood's Legend of Kyrandia games).

Ultimately it's a difference of opinion between people who go in with the attitude that they're trying to outthink the designer, and people who get offended when the game doesn't reward them for solutions which ought to work. There's a great deal of middle ground, of course, but there is something to the argument that most adventure puzzles would be utterly trivial real world situations, as you could just go to the store and buy a bucket, or a screwdriver, or whatever, instead of constantly MacGyvering up solutions to uncomplicated problems using junk you found lying around in the street.

News Comments > The May Hurray Bundle
8. Re: The May Hurray Bundle May 4, 2012, 12:06 Orogogus

I never got into the Weird Worlds demo, although I had bought the first game (Adventures in Infinite Space). I had a major problem with the combat, where critical information (damage, shield levels) was only available by mousing over ships. Did they ever revise that? It was basically unworkable for me since you're also using the mouse to fly the ship, and what little strategy there is depends on knowing when to hit and when to run.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year
13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 13:04 Orogogus

NKD wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:50:
Out next year and this is the first we're hearing about it? Shovelware.

Of all the game news sites I read, Blues has the most commenters who regularly bitch about companies talking about their game before it's out. Like, if it's not coming out in 12 months then we don't want to hear about it at all.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 18:23 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on May 2, 2012, 18:11:
Single Player games (with rare exceptions) are typically 6-8 hours long.

It's not that rare. I think it's more just first- and third-person shooters, and adventure games. And most indie games, I guess. Virtually any RPG, strategy game or sandbox game from a large publisher will be more than 8 hours long.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2012, 17:46 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 16:17:
Right, but what you are talking about is having the ability to go view the sites Beamer. That isn't where companies are stopping in terms of what they are asking for from prospective employees.

Companies are requiring people to give them their passwords to sites like FB and LI. I seriously have ZERO problem with an employer taking the time to look people up, but password access? Really? You think that is OK? That is what the law is trying to block. It isn't like they can make a law that is going to prevent companies from looking up completely public sites. We are talking about private, password protected level access.

"The bill seeks to block any employer from requiring current or potential employees to turn over login credentials to any person; online content can not be used as a condition of employment to "discriminate or deny employment to individuals, nor punish them for refusing to volunteer the information." -the article

How did it ever occur to companies that this would be an okay thing to demand? It seems tantamount to asking for my email login username and password. Why would this possibly be acceptable? What would admin access to my Facebook account get them that they couldn't get just by being friended or whatever?

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 21:28 Orogogus

A rating system that doesn't max at 100% seems inherently flawed, as the real 100% value just shifts to the maximum and makes things clearer for no one at all.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 18:13 Orogogus

That, uh, doesn't read like marketing BS to me at all. When you read a changelog you want details like that instead of just "Nerfed Plasma Rifle".  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 25, 2012, 12:26 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 11:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 11:19:
This is gonna be a major pain in the ass if this also removes the favicons from the tabs.. which I really hope it won't.

Reading the actual news source, it only talks about the address icon, which I can sorta understand. Currently it add's a huge bloat-button-like-thing when it's http's and that is really pointless. It should be a simple ON or OFF icon. So yeah. No panic after all ;p

It won't remove them from the tabs.
I kind of hate them on the address bar for a few reasons, but I find it amusing they're disappearing because people are savvy enough to look for the secure logo but dumb enough to mistake a favicon for one...

Is there some way to differentiate a favicon made to look like a padlock from the actual padlock icon? Other than looking at the address itself, I mean.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 25, 2012, 00:15 Orogogus

Esoteric wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 23:55:
I got Dead Space 2 on an Amazon sale for like 2 dollars a few months ago (with a discount) and haven't played it yet. Does it matter if I haven't played the first Dead Space? Would playing the first one add to the experience?

I think so, yes. The story isn't Finnegan's Wake or anything but there are some minor reveals that play off the first game.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
74. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 17:40 Orogogus

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:25:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:59:
NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:57:
A lot of whining about a stress test. The whole point of this is to blow the servers up so that they can be more prepared come launch.

Not totally, the ultimate point is hoping they don't blow up so you can go live. But face it no matter how many issues this or Tera have, the date is set it's shipping ready or not.

Servers were not ready.

I doubt that their goal is to have zero wait at launch for everyone. That kind of readiness would imply a lot of hardware (and money) wasted on every single other day until the next big thing launches. Rather than getting perfect turnaround they'd probably aim for a "good enough" point that keeps people sufficiently close to happy and the game uploaded to everyone within a reasonable window. Overstress conditions would be good data to have to identify the amount of expansion needed.

So basically you're saying that they're planning to fuck over some of their users to save some cash on hardware? This game requires an online connection to their servers, and you're claiming that they are planning to have insufficient capacity to handle peak loads. Nice.

It would be my guess. There are peak loads and there are peak loads, and one like this only comes along once every few years. They might bank on people cutting a little slack on launch day, especially given how companies like Valve can't do better, either. Yes, everyone has to be connected afterwards, but they're not going to be downloading however many GB all at once every day.

They probably have the money to pay for the spike even so, but I really doubt that the ill will generated from people forced to play on day 2 would be greater than that cost. Otherwise, just from an environmental standpoint I'd be kind of put off by the power load forced onto the environment. I mean, seriously, "fucked over" if it's not maxing out your bandwidth on the same day a million other people are working the same servers?

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
72. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 17:18 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:59:
NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:57:
A lot of whining about a stress test. The whole point of this is to blow the servers up so that they can be more prepared come launch.

Not totally, the ultimate point is hoping they don't blow up so you can go live. But face it no matter how many issues this or Tera have, the date is set it's shipping ready or not.

Servers were not ready.

I doubt that their goal is to have zero wait at launch for everyone. That kind of readiness would imply a lot of hardware (and money) wasted on every single other day until the next big thing launches. Rather than getting perfect turnaround they'd probably aim for a "good enough" point that keeps people sufficiently close to happy and the game uploaded to everyone within a reasonable window. Overstress conditions would be good data to have to identify the amount of expansion needed.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patched
26. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 16:41 Orogogus

It probably helps that it's single-player only. Easier to test and all.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 20, 2012, 02:16 Orogogus

killer_roach wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 00:23:
PropheT wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 13:27:
It's smart on their part, maybe, but I can't see how any end user with any brains in their head at all would prefer it over real money transactions.

Some people only buy point cards, and then only buy them when they go on sales... those people love points.

Ya, but I think Microsoft could (almost) just as easily offer sales or offer discount codes on their catalog for the same effect.

831 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo