Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 928 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeons of Dremor Free DLC Released; Workshop Launches
6. Re: Dungeons of Dremor Free DLC Released; Workshop Launches Jun 6, 2012, 16:39 Orogogus

coldcut wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 08:29:
It's called Dredmore, not Dremore, Blue

Maybe it's a running gag? He misspelled it as Dreadmor last time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 5, 2012, 14:17 Orogogus

To be honest, you had named most of the PS3 titles that had registered as interesting to me. I guess I would have included Killzone, Resistance and Warhawk, but cut Ratchet and Clank and Metal Gear.

Against that on the 360 there was possibly too much Halo, Crackdown, Chromehounds, the Banjo Kazooie vehicle building game, several board game conversions, Gears of War, Geometry Wars, the fun EDF game, those Scene It movie trivia games, and Shadow Complex.

Most of that is pretty old, and tastes vary (I have no interest in JRPGs or racing games) but that seems to be the case on both sides. It really seems to be at best a wash to me.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jun 5, 2012, 12:54 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 04:38:
Ultima 8 is fucking awesome. Its definitely a weird game, more like an adventure than an RPG. In fact as an RPG its abysmal, But when you get used to it the atmosphere and story is fantastic.

Its also hard & frustrating as fuck. I have no idea why I liked that game so much as a kid. Something about the weird atmosphere. Idduno.

U8 was also a pretty bad Ultima game. Setting aside the RPG issues (like not having a party in a core game for the first time since Ultima 3), the entire concept of virtues that had played a key role in Ultima 4-7.5 was suddenly gone, and you have to commit some seriously questionable acts to win the game. It might have been noteworthy if the events in U8 tied in to U9 somehow, but no, they don't. It was as if the Guardian had banished the Avatar to a different game universe.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 5, 2012, 12:39 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 12:26:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 12:10:
Clicking on the equivalent 360 link shows that the 360 exclusive list is larger, 239 to 196. Some of those are junk, but a quick glance suggests that the same is true on both platforms.

Quantity != quality. If Sony crapped out 1000 exclusives it wouldn't mean anything if they were of poor quality. Sony's output has been more consistent, especially in the past few years where Microsoft has seemingly given up and just buys DLC exclusivity rights instead.

Ya, but it was your link to begin with. Clicking on a random game whose title I don't recognize generally turns up a PSN game, probably from Japan. Without making a spreadsheet to compare it seems like I've heard of more of the 360's exclusives, and I'm still not seeing the overwhelming variety on the PS3.

Admittedly, once I see Japanese styling I lump the game into anime crap, so there may be a lot of variety I'm missing there.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 5, 2012, 12:10 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 09:52:
Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear, God of War, etc etc. Unlike Microsoft, Sony didn't forget it was a gaming company this generation. One can make the argument that its tertiary features are nowhere as good as the 360 but their exclusive library was far stronger and much more diverse.

Clicking on the equivalent 360 link shows that the 360 exclusive list is larger, 239 to 196. Some of those are junk, but a quick glance suggests that the same is true on both platforms.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 13:37 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:37:
Neither of those websites list their sources either.

The first one does but they don't link them. The sources are just Bethesda, Zenimax and Steam (presumably the only Steam stat is the max number of concurrent users).

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

Those numbers don't seem to back up a claim of 5 million copies sold on Steam. The first one suggests just 1.4M sold on PC (and 4 times more sold on 360). And the second says 2.21 global sales, with over half coming from Europe? And VGChartz is notorious for using basically made-up numbers.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
25. Re: Game Reviews Jun 4, 2012, 00:43 Orogogus

mag wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 00:07:
He spends a lot more time complaining about all of the things that are wrong with the game than he does good things. "The loot sucks, the game is boring, it's far too easy, the story is awful, the online-only thing has done nothing good for me, I don't like the leveling system, but... but... it's pretty. And I like clicking on things. And I'm sure it'll get better!"

That's a verbatim quote. You should read before you post.

I can say without hyperbole that the use of "verbatim" in that sentence is literally a million times worse than the Holocaust.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 2, 2012, 22:56 Orogogus

It's pretty clear from historical sources (e.g. the presidential campaigns, congressional records) that the Civil War wasn't fought to end slavery, although it did in the end. The South started the war to preserve slavery, but the North fought to stop them from seceding.

Re: WW2, Russia and China did most of the fighting and dying, and obviously they weren't fighting for democracy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Deadbolt locks Jun 2, 2012, 02:14 Orogogus

Tusker wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:20:
Stormsinger wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 20:56:
Yeah, I'm going to take my security advice from a guy who thinks someone is replacing his coffee and toothpaste to make him insane. Totally invalidates the rest of his article, as I don't accept guidance from psychotics.

Exactly what I thought - the poster is suffering from paranoid delusions; home security is the least of his worries. I love the fact that conspiracy theorists think they are so important that the government will spend so much time and money to keep them quiet or "intimidate" them.

The coffee and toothpaste bit was clearly a joke. Folgers Crystals used to have a commercial back in the 80s about how they would secretly replace someone's leading brand coffee with Folgers Crystals, let's see if he can tell the difference.

Some of the other stuff about the government secretly breaking into his home didn't sound like a joke, though. That was a little weird. I mean, I think the government can just break a window and go in if they've got their jackboots on. It's hard to imagine them worrying about unpickable locks.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Details
34. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 20:10 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:51:
The "other" properties (i.e. the classic games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, et al.) were definitely the product of the creative minds at early LucasArts, and not Lucas himself. Ever since then, LucasArts has been almost solely focused on Star Wars properties... in other words, Lucas' stuff (I wonder if the studio got "purged" the same way Lucas canned the employee who told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be a flop). And since the focus on Star Wars, the only good games have been (generally) related to or in the same style as the original trilogy (X-Wing, Lego, KOTOR, etc.). I stand by my point...

Well, again, I don't think Lucas has anything to do with this new game at all. I don't think he's ever had anything to do with the video games. So his name's basically irrelevant here.

And insofar as you're lumping in the Lego games and KOTOR in with the old trilogy, it seems to me that your definitions are extremely elastic. The first Lego Star Wars was totally a prequel game, and so was the third. The Pod Racer game was fairly well received, as was Republic Commando. I thought the Force Unleashed was pretty terrible, but it's an original trilogy game as much as a prequel one. But if your definition is that anything good is original trilogy style, and therefore the original trilogy is good... well, it's hard to argue out of a circular reasoning loop.

31. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:36 Orogogus

It's hard to tell where you're conflating George Lucas and LucasArts (for example, I don't think George Lucas has anything to do with this game), but LucasArts has certainly come up with a ton of other good ideas since Star Wars. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion & DOTT, the non-terrible Star Wars games, etc.

As for Lucas himself, I guess Indiana Jones used to be okay.

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Jun 1, 2012, 11:50 Orogogus

UnderDown wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:25:
I would bet that the majority of Diablo 3 players really only want to play single player & LAN/friend style co-op

I think it massively undermines your point that you think LAN co-op outnumbers people who want online co-op. People don't just want online co-op to play with random strangers, they use it to play with people they know, because it's, you know, 2012. I use online to paly games with my relatives, coworkers, other friends and their friends. LAN play hasn't been relevant for me since I graduated from college, in 1997. People who "don't spend their time on gaming news sites and forums" have probably never laid eyes on a LAN game in their life.

If a co-op game is online only, I could see it as an inconvenience; point against. If it were LAN only with no online, it would be a bizarre throwback from the turn of the century.

10. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 11:40 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:20:
The problem with this game is that itís going to be on the Xbox, so it will be pg13. They wonít be allowed to make it as dark as we would like for it to be. So it will ultimately end up being an epic fail.

Are PC games supposed to be darker than console games? This is something I hadn't heard before. Most of the controversial games in the last few years have all been on the consoles.

Star Was on the other hand is a generally PG property to begin with.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
56. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 20:41 Orogogus

When you're discussing religion and you get to a point of "Well, an omnipotent god could do it," there's not a whole lot more to say. In the case of the idea of an afterlife where said omnipotent deity gathers spirits and rewards them for actions in life... either you've already bought into all the presuppositions leading up to that, or not. There are at least a good half dozen major beliefs regarding the afterlife, and I hardly believe that most Christians teach their kids that Hindus believe in reincarnation and let them make up their own minds.  

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 31, 2012, 16:45 Orogogus

A rewind feature would be aces for Sierra's crop, although it wouldn't help you in situations where you were supposed to throw a shoe at a cat two hours ago to make friends with the mouse he's chasing so that the mouse can chew through a rope that has you tied up in a completely different part of the game.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale May 31, 2012, 11:56 Orogogus

Dev wrote on May 31, 2012, 02:54:
Tumbler wrote on May 31, 2012, 00:52:
If you're not a fan of adventure games the Sierra ones are going to be a real chore. There are so many cheap kills. The Lucasarts adventure games were less annoying in this respect but it does provide some chuckles when you die on something silly or unexpected. I'll just walk over this way and EATEN BY WORM MONSTER! Game over! Restore?

I'd say skip it if you're not into adventure games already. I vaguely remember playing one of these games so I'm interested just to see what the story was all about. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm thinking I'll skip the EGA versions. (space quest 2 and 3)

The kills were a big part of the game series though, thats what save is for I actually disliked some adventure games habits that came out later and had ZERO deaths, basically held your hand. People complained when the first Two Guys prototype came out and didn't have any player deaths (they were there in the 2nd prototype though

If Prez isn't an adventure fan, SQ, KQ and LSL are almost certainly what he's not a fan of. Broadly speaking, they encapsulate almost everything people don't like about adventure games. Pixel hunting, nonintuitive solutions (or not acknowledging intuitive solutions), arbitrary deaths, getting stuck because you didn't get random item X fifteen screens ago, etc.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Mad Riders and Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe on Xbox LIVE Arcade May 31, 2012, 11:39 Orogogus

In the case of Golden Axe the Genesis version had an extra level, a different ending and a survival mode added on. But yes, the arcade version looked better.  

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
21. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 19:48 Orogogus

Witcher 1 has pacing problems, in my opinion. Act 2 and 3 kind of drag, and everyone hates swamps. Just hope this Cyberpunk game doesn't have a sewer level.  

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
13. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 17:46 Orogogus

Isn't that true of most pen-and-paper roleplaying games?  

928 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo