Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 831 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
215. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 20:41 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on May 15, 2012, 20:33:
Nothing will change until we start seeing some lawsuits. You buy a single player game, you should be able to play it. MMOs are a completely different story because you need servers to play with other people. The problem is, many companies (like Blizzard) toss in a few online components (like the trade house) and try and weasel around the issue.

I don't see how there could possibly be a case unless you could convincingly argue that Blizzard was somehow misrepresenting the online requirement, when in fact people have been arguing about it nonstop for months. I just can't imagine a court caring about the difference between singleplayer and multiplayer games, or being sympathetic to the right to play singleplayer games offline.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 15:10 Orogogus

I was just curious, since I usually check these things.

It isn't apparent here, as your second link precedes your first one, and gives the impression that the poster already knew it was from the think tank, he just thought it should have been flagged as advertising, not that it hadn't been attributed. The first link doesn't have the right tone, either; his problem is with the tank's backers, not a lack of attribution.

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 12:07 Orogogus

Which one? I still don't seem to see it. Near the bottom of the first page jfgilbert's posts seem to have already leapfrogged to noting the think tank's supporters and asking Ars not to post any more think tank articles without flagging them as advertisements.  

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 10:49 Orogogus

Dades wrote on May 13, 2012, 09:55:
Orogogus wrote on May 13, 2012, 04:29:
I don't see any complaints in their comments, and it looks like they were aware early on.

The article wasn't changed until two users pointed it out in their comments and only after that did they say they were aware.

Did they delete those two comments? Like I said, I didn't see them. The first few comments that mention it seem to be pointing out the think tank's backing, rather than to say it's not attributed. Also, one of the Ars Technica guy's only responses is to say that they were clear about who wrote it.

News Comments > Binary Domain Demo
18. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 04:39 Orogogus

And to bring up the Max Payne example again, if the point is to make a John Woo style cinematic game, it's kind of key to be able to see your guy doing sideways leaps firing his dual-wielded guns in slow motion.  

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 04:29 Orogogus

I don't see any complaints in their comments, and it looks like they were aware early on.

"Uncapped" is what we call the internet the US and the rest of the first world has had forever.

I get the impression, just from occasional comments here, that Canada and Australia/New Zealand get capped pretty damn badly.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Video Blowout
23. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 16:46 Orogogus

Regarding maps, I really didn't like that in the map they were demoing on (most clearly in the Assault 'Mech demo), there was this smallish chasm with a completely fake looking rock bridge going over it. Would it really be that bad to give 'Mechs with jump jets that edge?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: 7 Internet Words... May 10, 2012, 16:42 Orogogus

When you order chicken giblets in a restaurant, do you order "Chicken Jiblets"? Or Gizzards "Jizzards?" I doubt it - if you do, they will laugh you out of there. But apparently, some places or use of the word say JIB, with a soft g/J. Sounds weird to me. Other uses of the word gib are pronounced GIB, which is why I always have used it that way....

Giblets are not tasty food so that's kind of academic. But apparently the right way to pronounce giblet is with the j sound.

I guarantee that I've never heard anyone say those "gib" words, ever, although maybe there are people in the tech crowd who get picky about the proper definition of a gigabyte vs. a gibibyte (which I've also never heard of before).

For one going against the list, there's "gibberish" and all its related words.

13. Re: 7 Internet Words... May 10, 2012, 15:30 Orogogus

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 15:20:
Orogogus wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:15:
Killer Kane wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:10:
Yeahhhhh righhhhhht,

Next they'll be telling us Gibs is pronounced with a "J".

heheheh I remember a few of the LAN parties I hosted, some younger new kids would come, or brothers and sisters of our regulars would come and say JIBS. Kids these days....

The article doesn't open for me at work so I don't know if this is mentioned, but "giblets" is in fact pronounced "jiblets," and "gibbet" is likewise "jibbet".

A kill is not a "JIB".
As in, I like the cut of your JIB.

Ya, but it's probably short for giblet, referring to all the bloody guts and organs flying around. Wikipedia says it's pronounced jibs, incidentally.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support?
23. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 14:33 Orogogus

You can also just save and load as if the chambers weren't there and it just said "Game Over" when you died. To be honest I never really understood the complaints. It's the same as when people used to complain about games that let you save & load anywhere.  

8. Re: 7 Internet Words... May 10, 2012, 14:25 Orogogus

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 14:15:
Killer Kane wrote on May 10, 2012, 13:10:
Yeahhhhh righhhhhht,

Next they'll be telling us Gibs is pronounced with a "J".

heheheh I remember a few of the LAN parties I hosted, some younger new kids would come, or brothers and sisters of our regulars would come and say JIBS. Kids these days....

The article doesn't open for me at work so I don't know if this is mentioned, but "giblets" is in fact pronounced "jiblets," and "gibbet" is likewise "jibbet".

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Video Blowout
18. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 12:22 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 10, 2012, 12:00:
No terrain destruction or really.. ANY destruction? What the hell. No trees blowing up, no huge explosions, no decent missile trails.. nor melting armor or glowing red weapons or heat exchangers.....

not hyped

No offense, but that sounds a little too much like Michael Bay's brand of Hollywood effects. One of the things I didn't like about Mechwarrior 4 was how every 'Mech had to go down in a cataclysmic engine meltdown.

I guess it would be nice if the trees at least fell over when you walked through them, though.

21. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 11:38 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on May 10, 2012, 08:45:
But hey...Nothing is more important than not punishing players for dieing!

If their rationale hasn't changed since System Shock, I think the idea isn't to avoid punishing players -- System Shock 1 & 2 were pretty respawn-heavy and didn't have many bosses -- but to maintain immersion and give people a way to stay in the game instead of just saving and reloading through to the end.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
64. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 10, 2012, 11:29 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:06:
Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:56:
You seriously need to go back and replay SS2 and then replay Bioshock. The map designs and progression were very similar.

Perhaps you are right.

I have little recollection of Bioshock, since I was fairly disgusted with it, and never finished it. SS2, I have replayed many times, so I know it well. I do remember feeling like I was being herded, though. That said... that really isn't my main complaint. The game just felt so shallow compared to SS2 (IMO), that it was an insult to call it a "spiritual successor".

Maybe I expected too much... I don't know. But they definitely took a lot of the "RPG" out, and it was more shooter than RPG. It didn't even feel like a decent hybrid, like Deus Ex.

Maybe as a Half-Life type shooter, it stands up fairly well... but again, that is not what I was expecting as a "successor".

The RPG stuff was grafted on in SS2, it wasn't really present in System Shock, which lacked stats or skills, a money system, inventory Tetris, resurrection fees, research, weapon degradation. Pretty damn shooty, too. I feel Bioshock was probably closer to SS than the actual sequel turned out.

12. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 04:11 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2012, 03:17:
I dont remember any resurecition chamebers in System Shock 2. Could be my rosy-tinted glasses though....but I swear that game mechanic just sucks major balls.

These things:

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/systemshock2/science/27.jpg (rightmost image)

It cost 10 nanites to resurrect, which was like half the cost of buying a basic healing item.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Co-op Support?
7. Re: Dead Space 3 Co-op Support? May 10, 2012, 02:54 Orogogus

Esoteric wrote on May 10, 2012, 02:17:
To people who actually like the series (no trolls):

I haven't played either one, but I have DS2 (from a sale), but not the first one. Should I wait to play the first one (get it on sale) or is the 2nd one enjoyable enough on its own?

I suggest waiting and playing the first one. There are some minor bits in the second game that play off of the first, and the gameplay's a little smoother and more varied in the second game as well (matter of opinion, I expect).

9. Re: BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Support? May 10, 2012, 00:50 Orogogus

It seems like co-op would be a much better fit here than for Dead Space 3. Shooter vs. survival horror notwithstanding, a lot of the set pieces in DS2 would be at least a little stupid with 2 people. (Spoilers)

Two people hanging upside down from the subway train? 2 people being yanked around by hallucinatory tentacles? 2 people flying in ejection pods?

I love co-op and I love Dead Space, but it just seems like a poor fit to make it a buddy horror game. Whereas Bioshock Infinite is from the same guys that made System Shock 2, one of the few games that tacked on multiplayer/co-op post-release, and presumably it still has the trademark System Shock/Bioshock resurrection chambers.

57. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 21:19 Orogogus

Maze design is things like hallways doing switchbacks for no reason, figure 8 loops of corridor that have nothing in them except for one door at each end, that kind of thing. In general, anything that looks ridiculously more complicated than what people would actually ever build.

And in any case, System Shock had five times more of it than SS2. The whole maintenance level was basically four mazes around a hub area. As far as level complexity goes, SS >>> SS2 > Bioshock, the last mostly due to Bioshock being smaller overall. They all kind of suffer from having way more dead bodies and monsters than can be accounted for by the size of their environments, though.

I never got the feeling in Bioshock that I could only go in one direction. You were generally free to dick around all you wanted in areas that you'd already been in, to the point of taking the elevator to completely empty levels. There wasn't a lot of free exploration, but then, I didn't feel like there was in SS2, either. In either game you might have a choice of 2 or three rooms or small areas you haven't been in yet, there's not a whole lot of wandering off into sectors you don't have any business being in.

48. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:21 Orogogus

Bioshock maps: http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/bioshock/maps/maps.htm
System Shock 2 maps: http://www.sshock2.com/ss2walk/map_eng1.html

I think they were about the same. There was a lot more maze design in SS2, and more roaming up and down and across levels in Bioshock. A lot of handholding in both, in my opinion, but more returning to previous areas and unknown doorways than you normally see in games that sane people would call "on rails".

The original System Shock was a lot more exploratory than either, taking much fewer pains to tell the player where they were supposed to go. The small levels are what pass for large ones in SS2, and it was a lot easier to get lost. I guess this is what would be termed a pacing problem.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1631.msg8254#msg8254

16. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 12:30 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 9, 2012, 12:20:
This game is barely on my radar, but I appreciate devs who take extra time to make sure it's a good game, versus all those who release shit half-finished. (admittedly usually because of idiot publishers.)

Creston

When publishers cancel a game outright, the fanbase usually whines that they could have at least released whatever they had done. And I don't expect there's anything magical about the games industry that protects it from cost overruns. You have to assume that at least some of the time the right call is to stop throwing money at a project that won't make money, and draw a line under it by either canning it or releasing it unfinished.

831 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo