Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 928 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast
7. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast Jun 14, 2012, 13:00 Orogogus

I, uh, know. It says so in Blue's post. I was just saying that I didn't consider his part to be news. They're making a Transformers game (specifically, a sequel to WfC), so I assume Optimus Prime's in it, and I assume that Peter Cullen will be voicing him. It was a given from the moment we knew there was going to be a sequel.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast
3. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast Jun 14, 2012, 11:52 Orogogus

Really? Optimus Prime is in the game, and Cullen voiced him in the first game. I kind of took it for granted that he'd be back. The only voice actor in the list who wasn't in War for Cybertron is Gregg Berger -- he's not reprising his role, as WfC didn't have Grimlock in it.  

News Comments > Resonance Demo
2. Re: Resonance Demo Jun 13, 2012, 16:30 Orogogus

The Wadjet Eye is that Egyptian Eye of Horus thing.  

News Comments > Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas
48. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:37:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:00:
Also, many South Americans do refer to themselves as Americans (americanos), and do say United Statsians (I forget the word here, something like estadounisen), which I guess sounds less terrible in Spanish.

So, they ignore their nationality in normal, general usage? If true, I find it very surprising. I mean, yes -- people in Europe or Asia might in some contexts will refer to themselves as European or Asian, but in normal general usage they think and refer to themselves as Germans, and Indians, or whatever.

My impression is that it's generally used when referring to populations rather than individuals, so yes, in the same sense that you would talk about Europeans or Asians. At an individual level they would refer to themselves by nationality, but in news or whatever they talk about goings-on in the Americas, and I've met some people who were slightly huffy about Americans appropriating the term for themselves.

I guess it might be an effect of having a lot of small countries who speak the same language (and I guess they don't like "South American" for whatever reason). The few Brazilians I know do use americano to refer to US citizens - Brazil's a fairly large country, and it's the only that speaks Portuguese instead of Spanish.

News Comments > Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas
46. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:00 Orogogus

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 08:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 07:34:
ochentay4 wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 06:44:
Sorry I was that hard. But some comments are really really stupid. If I'm a politically correct asshole for correcting someone who thinks that US Residents are the only AMERICANS in the fucking continent, then ok.

This is not meant as a provocation of any kind, I don't know the answer to this question: Are there residents of any country other than the US that actually refer to themselves as "Americans"? I assume people in Canada think of themselves as Canadians, in Mexico as Mexicans, in Columbia as Columbians, in Brazil as Brazilians, etc, etc..

And if it is "improper" in some way for residents of the US to call themselves "Americans" what should we call ourselves?

Exactly. Americans comes from the fact United Statsians sounds fucking retarded, and that America is in our country name. Mexico is not Mexico of America on a map.

The pretentious need to point out American could technically apply to over a dozen countries is just another example of people jumping to feel superior.

Well, it started when someone had apparently never heard of the term "Americas" before. It's a common term for international businesses to refer to North and South America together, as often these will be handled by a headquarters in the US while another HQ in Europe or Asia handles the other territories. Occasionally people use it for just North America (Canada, US, Mexico), because North is too long to type or something. But, eh; Penny Arcade made a big deal about the term once too.

Also, many South Americans do refer to themselves as Americans (americanos), and do say United Statsians (I forget the word here, something like estadounisen), which I guess sounds less terrible in Spanish.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
68. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 12:23 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 11:53:
When does this start to fall under gambling regulations?

There would be a stronger argument if there were an entry fee, and the prize was known to be $100K instead of just something Peter Molyneux promises is super awesome, which he wants to see spread via social media. It's hard to think of anyone from whom something "truly amazing, absolutely unique" inspires less anticipation. I can see the SomethingAwful and Cracked photoshop contests already.

News Comments > FTL Closed Beta This Month
23. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 12:11 Orogogus

Graphics may be low on their priority list. Toady, the Dwarf Fortress guy, has basically no interest in working on graphics (or the interface), so if you gave him $200K he'd probably use it to better model plant root structures or erosion effects from local semi-arid climate conversion after large scale deforestation. To find out what they're working on you'd probably have to go to their forums, unless they keep up a blog.  

News Comments > Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale?
34. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 12:01 Orogogus

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 10:15:
InBlack wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 04:53:
The kind that is impossible to explain to simpletons who clearly feel they need to hate for hate's sake alone. Diablo created a genre. You might not like the game or the genre, thats fine. But saying that Diablo = WoW clearly demonstrates either a lack of cognitive ability or a need to be an internet asshole.

I dunno. I think Rogue created the genre. Diablo fit pretty well into that category. All it lacked was randomly created levels.

Diablo probably has more in common with Telengard, as well as DND on mainframes which predated that. Compared to Rogue it was more equipment and stat oriented, had more spells, didn't have the randomly assigned scrolls and potions which are common in Rogue and Roguelikes, had a store level, didn't assign commands to every key on the keyboard, and it was real time. Rogue probably introduced item identification, though.

News Comments > John Carmack's VR Headset
28. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 7, 2012, 19:18 Orogogus

RailWizard wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 18:56:
Shataan wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 18:39:
TrackIR is cool. That is a given. VR headsets...... not .so much

Exactly. I made a longer post on slashdot, and mentioned the same thing.
Also I never said VR was completely useless, just that it will only be uselful for a handful of things. Exactly like TrackIR.

The only thing where I really see VR being particularly dire is FPSes where you have to walk around, which is a huge portion of the market. And for strategy games I don't see any particular benefit. But for simulations and action sims it could go a long way towards putting you in the cockpit instead of piloting by remote control. And if the cost is $500 instead of tens of thousands, it's pretty feasible for moderate enthusiasts, the kind of people who would get a TrackIR.

Carmack goes on for a bit on how badly the current crop sucks, though, and I think all his demo unit runs is DOOM 3, which is definitely an FPS and not ideal.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
48. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:32 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 13:17:
I doubt getting some light DLC a month early or having $10 off the price will offset that for most users.

It might, if said user had both a PS3 and a PC (and didn't have the game yet). And if that's how it always went down then that would be that much more in favor of PCs over consoles. Except that this is a Japanese company, and in their home market hardly anyone games on a home desktop PC, but eh.

44. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:08 Orogogus

There was one guy here put off by the lack of exclusive PC content, but no, it's not the general complaint.

They're offering the same product as it runs on PS3, with the exclusive content a few months early. It will probably be $10 cheaper or maybe more if they're aware of the usual pricing for ports. If every game had at least this as a baseline there'd be that much less reason to own a console.

If they follow Capcom's lead then they'll just get better at it over time; or, if they follow Square's lead, they'll just dump the PC altogether.

News Comments > Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month
24. Re: Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month Jun 7, 2012, 12:34 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 12:29:
Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 09:04:
I had to laugh when I used one of my dragon shouts on some bandit on a mountain and it literally blew him off like a cannonball into the horizon.

What? This sounds awesome!

It really does sound like the kind of thing, like levitation/flight in Daggerfall/Morrowind, that's going to piss people off it they "fix" it.

42. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

It's kind of hard to see the alternative, a console exclusive, doing much to help PC gaming, either. It's not like this is a PC developer abandoning their roots to go after console sales. And if it were a Japanese fanbase whining about the quality of a port of a Paradox or Total War game for consoles, handhelds, tablets, phones or whatever they use I'm sure I would hardly care, either.  

34. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 06:25 Orogogus

D_K_night wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 02:48:
If you know you cannot do the port with all your heart and soul into it, and know honestly that it's an amazing port, why do it at all?

Are you even going to make your money back with the port? If the answer is probably no...why even do it?

Making money back is why they would be rushing it. As for why they did it, it was probably because of the 90K signature petition and all the other noise the Internet raised about it. It's possible that it will be well-received because the game itself is supposed to be fun, and very difficult. A Linux enthusiast doesn't really have the luxury of insisting that a port does anything besides run natively, and in this case it's the same for Windows.

15. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 7, 2012, 06:17 Orogogus

Wildone wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:57:
Until they get the res of those tiny monitors beyond 800x600 and not cost 10k it'll never happen.

I know hardly anyone reads the article before commenting, much less watch a video, but he has a 1280 x 960 prototype (640 x 480 per eye) for $500 (production cost). And he makes the point that there's a ton of free research on the resolution front thanks to cell phones.

25. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 01:14 Orogogus

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:10:
Honestly, did anyone expect anything better from a Japanese developer?

Capcom has been making some of the best PC ports for years from their console games. Devil May Cry 4 is really really good on PC.

Specifically, for 3 years. Resident Evil 4 was dire (no mouse support, inferior effects), as was basically everything before as well. Maybe DMC3 was good? I don't know. Everything since then has been well received.

23. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 01:10 Orogogus

Tom46 wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 23:55:
This almost sounds like a veiled request for help. Why don't they farm this port out to someone who knows (and likes) what they're doing? It's obvious that the game will make money if properly done and WITHOUT GFWL.

I doubt that anyone who will port it for is in Japan, and even outsourcing it our of country is a mixed bag. I think Capcom basically does their own ports now after the RE4 fiasco with Ubisoft, and everything else that comes out of Japan for PC is usually a budget title or a "dating sim." It's basically like asking them to make a native Linux port.

In any case they're probably also unfamiliar with the neverending complaints that will come out of the PC side. Yesterday it was GFWL. Today it's frame rate. Tomorrow it might be field of view settings, and then the day after that someone will demand a first person view. And then probably people will complain that it's not moddable.

On the bright side, they're releasing the DLC on PC months ahead of the consoles, but as someone said about the reverse situation for Skyrim, who really cares? People with short attention spans will forget their outrage and buy it when it's out, and people with long ones can wait.

17. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 6, 2012, 23:09 Orogogus

PHJF wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 22:38:
A rushed, console port with no PC advantages...who would want that?

Well in this case it's the only chance somebody without a PS3 is going to have to play the game. Have you never used an emulator to play a game for a system you don't own? I've experienced plenty of games that way.

This one was released on 360 also.

3. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 6, 2012, 22:06 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:55:
A VR setup could be interesting, but it would have to be very interesting for me to prefer it to a monitor. The rest of the VR just wouldn't be there.

I think it would be aces for cockpit- or seat-based games like racing, flight/space and giant robot games, where you don't have to fiddle with funky Wii-like controls -- especially if you have a wheel or stick/throttle setup -- but you still want to be able to look around. And those fanbases are usually pretty hardcore (but small).

6. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 6, 2012, 21:53 Orogogus

I think they are focusing on the console crowd. Like they said, they're Japanese, and for whatever reason there's no PC game market there. But people clamored and ran petitions begging for a Windows port, so they're trying. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch.

Typing of the Dead was a pretty weak port (ALT+F4 to quit), but it's still one of my favorite games. Hopefully they won't charge much.

EDIT: It's pretty analogous to Linux and Mac ports, and that one guy who keeps bitching when a Linux port is just running through a Wine wrapper (or something). The alternative is buying hardware if you want to play the game.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2012, 22:00.

928 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo