Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 930 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale
28. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 01:22 Orogogus

I think it's pretty obvious that C-bills are the currency, meaning that it speeds up the grind, not that your lasers do extra damage or something.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 Orogogus

Online co-op would be well and good, but if they made a game in the LEGO franchise that dads (or moms) couldn't play with their little kids, they'd be the dumbest thing ever to set foot in the video game industry. I can't think for a second that couch co-op is wrong for these games.  

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 23:53 Orogogus

Kastagir wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 23:06:
How much do I have to pay for a SP campaign? That's the only option I'm interested in. This looks like a ridiculous attempt to prey upon the anticipation of gullible gamers. $120 to get your name in the credits? Puh-LEEZE.

It looks like an alternative to a kickstarter, a way to make some money from the people who always talk big about how they'd pay X hundred/thousand dollars to get game Y. There are a lot of people who do want a multiplayer 'Mech game, as the player-created online leagues for the Mechwarrior games were pretty complex affairs with a lot of online scripting and automation.

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 23:51 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 23:03:
TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 22:43:
Have fun not playing while the rest of us play for free..."

Errr, you mean "have fun not playing while the rest of us lose for free." Do you seriously think that you'll be anything other than cannon-fodder compared to those that P2W? Nothing like abject frustration to encourage me to throw money at a game </sarcasm>. But then, I guess I'm not a sheep... Wall

As noted, this game looks like it's based heavily on World of Tanks, and complaints with that game usually have to do with lack of mission variety, and not about leveling up slower than people who paid money. Everyone levels up just by playing, and from all accounts the overwhelming majority of people never buy in.

Also, people prognosticating about how the game would have made quadrillions of dollars as a standard retail package are ridiculous. Publishers didn't stop funding Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Heavy Gear and so on because they were just making too much money, so much money that people were getting crushed by giant sacks of money that just kept falling through the ceiling and in the windows. Freespace 2, a best of class game in a related genre, is said to have sold about 30K copies before GOG picked it up. There is such thing as a niche genre.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 21:22 Orogogus

eunichron wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 21:14:
The part that gets me is;

Three-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.

"Premium" status should be permanently given to all players that choose to pay, like VIP status in Tribes: Ascend, and there shouldn't be anything that artificially increases in-game rewards (C-Bills, I'm assuming).

I'm pretty sure the premium status is copied from World of Tanks, where it boosts the rate at which you accumulate credits. I think you can also buy premium status in-game without spending real money, but not having played the game I don't know the details. (EDIT: That's referring to World of Tanks, not MWO)

News Comments > New Magicka DLC
5. Re: New Magicka DLC Jun 19, 2012, 19:46 Orogogus

Has that train simulator game's DLC stopped cluttering up Steam? I thought that would have the prize sewn up for at least a few years.  

News Comments > M.U.L.E. Homage Kickstarter
14. Re: M.U.L.E. Homage Kickstarter Jun 19, 2012, 19:42 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 14:49:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:13:
I'd love to see a new take on M.U.L.E. but while this is getting a PC version, it seems very focused on mobile first which really saps a lot of my interest. I think half a million bucks is very ambitious for a nostalgia project but we'll see.
The mobile version is the exact original MULE game. The PC version is the redesigned one. Thats why the different releases, they are different games. My guess is they figure that someone who want to play the exact original mule game on PC can find and use the original game itself, but it needs a few changes to use a touchpad.

The redesign is also going to run on iOS devices, according to the Kickstarter page.

I have to say that their rationale for the $500K goal does not inspire confidence.

We wanted to make sure we raised enough to do the game right. For example, we have experimented with both a simultaneous play prototype and an asynchronous turn mode similar to Words with Friends and both were fun. Do our fans want to play this way or something more like the hot seat turn-based original?

We would like to see:

- more clear race benefits (such as one race being able to move a little faster, better at catching wampus, producing food, etc.),
- a more intuitive auction trading interface,
- a beginner tutorial,
- and more story.
- Perhaps even an interactive single-player campaign, like we are used to seeing in hit games like Starcraft, Diablo, and Civilization.

This is why we wanted to go for a more aggressive fundraiser so we could really add some special AAA-level features, music, and visual polish to a game that deserves it. There have been several attempts at remaking M.U.L.E. in the past and they have always been on the cheap. I really want this game to shine and give the creator's family and the fans something as awesome as the original game was.

None of those bullet points really justify a $500K budget to me, and most of them (race benefits, story, singleplayer campaign) don't even seem like a good idea. I haven't played a Civ game since 3; did 4 or 5 start incorporating a campaign?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow
25. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 19:23 Orogogus

Well, yes, if he had said "pay to win" then I think we would have glossed over it. But there seems to be a misconception that you have to buy the client, which is correctable rather than something to argue back and forth over endlessly.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:25 Orogogus

Matshock wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 18:08:
I don't really get how people think that the giant billion-year old fusion reaction that we are stuck in orbit around couldn't have far more intense effects on our climate than our surface activity does.

As far as that goes, Venus is hotter than Mercury despite being much farther from the sun, because of its atmosphere. It's not like surface activity does nothing.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow
21. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 14:03 Orogogus

I think MWO is the kind of F2P where you don't have to buy the game, it's a free download. Like World of Tanks or Tribes: Ascend.  

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
53. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 14:53 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 14:37:
There is a difference between being loyal to a franchise and being loyal to a publisher. I think Cutter was referring more to the concept of someone being a loyal fan of EA specifically. Somebody can buy Madden every year, for example, and still hate EA. People bought DA2 because they were hoping for a game like DA:O...not because they were fans of EA. Nobody looked at the box cover or the marketing and said "Oh, EA published this...SQUUEEEEE! Got to have it." Nobody. Acti-Blizz, Ubisoft, Valve, THQ....doesn't matter...people who buy those games "blindly" do so because of the franchise name not the publisher name.

edit: Okay, I will concede that perhaps in the case of Valve and Blizzard..publisher name does carry some weight with a significant percentage of mainstream gamers.

20+ years ago the square flat sleeve-boxes that EA used were generally a mark of quality.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer
9. Re: Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer Jun 18, 2012, 13:32 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 12:40:
I thought there was a huge jump between DS1 and DS2 in this regard. DS2 is a very, very shooty game.

Both DS games primarily consisted of shooting. You walked into an area and killed everything that moved. The only time you ever had to run away in both games is when you fought that invincible alien that could only be killed in a specifically scripted segment. Everything else? Pew pew dead. Granted, killing stuff in DS2 was a bit easier because you had more weapons and that handy telekinesis ability, but the focus of both games has always been on murdering aliens.

In DS3, they look to just be making it even more action-oriented. Unified ammo, plentiful ammo drops, cover system, enemies with guns, the ability to roll...

The cover system looked a lot less covery than what I had expected. It looked more like a plain old crouch. And there were always shooty aliens, so eh.

In addition to the guns and telekinesis in DS2, there's also more ammo and money floating around in general, regenerating stasis, a lot more swarm situations and fewer telekinesis puzzles of dragging around carts and crap. Plus all the DLC material, and the fact that it all came free with the Steam version.

That roll does look goofy, though. Not so much that he's moving particularly fast, but the opposite; I look at it and just think, who is that going to fool?

40. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 12:29 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 12:02:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:47:
One of the big complaints about Origin is that their prices are terrible, and now I guess one one of the big complaints is going to be that their prices are too low. Yay gamers.

Where is anyone in this thread complaining about prices? Nobody is, we're pointing that EA's attitude is deeply hypocritical after they said last week deep discounts cheapen IP and they'll never do it.

Ya. But they can't lower their prices without people bitching about the hypocrisy thing, and ultimately I don't care. It was obviously stupid as soon as it came out of their mouth. Products that sell well enough at a high price don't need defending, everything else will crash and burn on its own. Hypocritical works better for me and I just can't generate enough outrage to even use the word.

37. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 12:15 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 12:12:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:29:
Start Origins or visit it. Go to the Sales part.
Or follow the link that was in the article I posted below. If you're blocked at work here you go then.
Yeah, that link doesn't work for me.
Also, the 75%+ off on some items MIGHT be restricted to regions such as UK. Because I checked those titles and it didn't say anything about sale.
Here's the page where they list sales in the US:
http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/html/pbPage.holiday-deals-2011
Just the 40% off ones are shown.

I suspect that that's just going to redirect them to their EA front page, the same way their links do for me in the US.

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
6. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 12:12 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 12:09:
Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:16:
Free is free, so obviously it's worth it to pick both of them up, but don't be fooled by the Ultima name in the games. Neither game has really anything to do with Ultima other than cheap name placements, and their quality is Worlds Below the actual Ultima games.

Well, the hero of those Ultima Worlds is the same of the regular Ultimas, the Avatar. And even if Worlds is inferior to the regular Ultimas I have a feeling these 2 Worlds are still head and shoulders above most RPGs today in terms of RPG goodness.

It would take like 5 minutes with a Sharpie to take the Avatar out of them, kind of like how Ultima Underworld 1 (a great game) had basically nothing to do with Ultima past some handwaving in the first 10 minutes.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer
6. Re: Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer Jun 18, 2012, 11:59 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 22:37:
The first two games were about 70% shooter, 30% survival-horror. DS3 looks to be 95% shooter, 5% survival-horror.

I thought there was a huge jump between DS1 and DS2 in this regard. DS2 is a very, very shooty game. There's like a tutorial and later maybe 10-20 minutes of wandering around residential areas then pow pow pow pow kerblam stomp stomp all the way to the end. But in any case it would be kind of dumb to make trailers and demos out of the survival horror bits; it's tantamount to spoiling the ending in your trailer.

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
3. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 11:52 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:16:
Free is free, so obviously it's worth it to pick both of them up, but don't be fooled by the Ultima name in the games. Neither game has really anything to do with Ultima other than cheap name placements, and their quality is Worlds Below the actual Ultima games.

Creston

Well, there's the engine. It would be kind of weird to reuse any of the Ultimas' game engines in a non-Ultima game. SSI reused the Gold Box engine for their Buck Rogers games, and they ended up feeling a lot like D&D.

27. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 11:47 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:30:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:27:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:24:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:11:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:05:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:56:
Didn't Origin's boss said a few weeks ago they would never do deep discounts since it cheapens IP? Way to contradict yourself and be a hypocrite in a short time!

C'mon, this is a 40% off sale, you're going to say that's a "deep discount," relative to Steam, who does 75% off regularly?

Even you know better than that, but then again, you never jump on an opportunity to bash EA. Personally I don't find this hypocritical at all, nor do I find 40% off compelling enough to buy most of these games, let alone buy them on Origin over Steam...

You know what they say, you just lost a great chance to shut your mouth. Then again, any chance you take to spread misinformation and good stuff about the publishers you take it.

For those not reading the link, an example of deep discount: DA:O discounted by 90%.

Fine, that's a good link, but you're pulling pretty far with it. You called the guy a hypocrite for this particular sale, discussed in this particular thread, which is incorrect.

You should have put that link in your original post, and said "well, these discounts suck, but he hypocritically has already broken his 'no 75% off sales' with this DA:O sale."
Then you would have seen like less of a raving loon.

Stop digging. Really. You already are in a deep hole yourself. Not my fault you didn't even made the effort to compare the prices in origins and took word of mouth as fact. Then again, that's what you do always.

Also, this makes him a hypocrite. Last week he said discounts cheapen IP. This week he makes quite a deep discount on 18 titles. But I guess you're going to defend him even though it's indefensible but that's how you roll, publishers do no wrong.

THIS sale does not make him a hypocrite. THIS sale is 40% off. He specifically said 75% off.

Secondly, I'm still pretty certain you were calling 40% off hypocritical.
And I don't see a single sale over 40% right now, contrary to what theyarecomingforyou is saying. Even clicking "deals" shows just the 40% off. Clicking anything else is showing full price.

Ya. I mean, a) I couldn't care less about EA being hypocritical; the alternative was them being stupid, and hypocritical works better for me as a consumer, b) these deals are plain old meh and c) people are complaining about Spore being on sale (although it's not, in the US)? One of the big complaints about Origin is that their prices are terrible, and now I guess one one of the big complaints is going to be that their prices are too low. Yay gamers.

GOG complained about not being able to compete with Steam on sales I think last year, but now they have sales every weekend. I don't know why publishers seem so eager to trumpet the fact that their product is less competitive than the other guy's. It's not a PR move that works in their favor.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
11. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 15, 2012, 23:25 Orogogus

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
12. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 11:54 Orogogus

Max Payne (the first one) was on the Xbox and PS2, and they released it through the 360's online marketplace, too. The same for the second one, except they also released it recently for the PS3 marketplace.

Also, console players generally seem more receptive to third person shooters than the PC crowd.

930 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo