Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 995 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 15:41 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 15:28:
That's all I am going to say about this because of course I will be called wrong by all of the internet know-it-alls who find things like this an opportunity to prove how brilliant they are (and maybe push an agenda or two) instead of showing a fucking shred of humanity.

Classy. Guess we're closed for discussion, then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 14:59 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 14:29:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 14:00:
The last thing we need is more laws or government intervention.

A law isn't going to do anything to solve an issue like this. These assholes have no care for the law as it exists, so no new law is making to make them suddenly take notice.

However, I do think the government needs to take a hundred billion out of the fucking defense budget, and spend it on security for schools. (although even more, I wish the Federal government would get its fat, lazy ass out of education altogether, and it becomes a States issue again, as it was always intended to be.)

Creston

The laws and intervention in question refer to the media, not shooters.

The idea seems unworkable with the Internet around, though. If the mainstream news doesn't report the identity of a shooter or describe the crime, alternative sites are going to become even more mainstream, with less fact verification and organization. Totalitarian states like China and Russia have trouble suppressing facts; what's going to make it easier with an open press and uncensored Internet?

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
34. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 23:55 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 20:00:
Short of borrowing the actual races (elves, orcs, etc) like everyone else and their grandmother did, I don't see a whole lot of Tolkien influence to be honest.

There's the high elf/wood elf split, and the high elves in tragic decline. Elves being good archers. There's the way you have regular orcs and bigger, tougher, black orcs (Uruk-Hai). Orcs riding goddamned wolves. There's virtually every single thing about WHFB dwarves, excepting the fact that WHFB dwarves are also engineers. And everything about WHFB halflings. The Tolkien fantasy races haven't really diverged much from the bog standard tropes. Except I'm given to understand that WHFB is responsible for orcs being green.

I do think if they had dumped elves, dwarves and orcs (and halflings, I guess) from the lore at the start they'd have a much stronger and less Dungeons and Dragony setting, but they're well and stuck in there now. Everything else is reasonably full of unique character, but I just don't see it for the stock Tolkien fantasy elements.

27. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:40 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:37:
40k was the inspiration for Starcraft (originally it was supposed to be a 40k RTS, but they couldn't get the license because Games Workshop is one of biggest pricks in the world of intellectual property)

As far as I've ever been able to determine this is just message board urban legend.

26. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:39 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:16:
What is I find a bit ironic is that Warhammer rarely gets credit for having been unique long before other more popular properties ***cough Warcraft** cough** Starcraft**cough** copied them pretty closely, and instead is blamed for being generic. It's a bit like saying "Alone in the Dark" is just generic survival horror.

As a setting Warhammer FB was a lock-stock-and-barrel mashup of Tolkien and Moorcock. Everything about Chaos except the actual 4 gods is lifted straight, from when they had the Elric license (which for all I know they still do). The eight-pointed star of Chaos, the Chaos barbarians out of the north, the concept of Chaos and Chaos demons and Chaos gods, is all directly out of Moorcock's books. The Melniboneans miniatures for the Elric setting were relabeled and sold as Wood Elf Wardancers and stayed that way for about a decade.

Plus D&D predated WHFB by 6 years, and it's hard to say that there's no influence from that direction, either.

18. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 15:23 Orogogus

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:54:
Don't get me wrong, I agree. My point was just that THQ already has a relationship with Games Workshop and I would have thought they'd try to capitalise on that by extending into Warhammer. I think their money troubles are the biggest reason as to why they couldn't.

I just don't see much benefit for them in capitalizing on that relationship. I haven't gone in a games store in a decade so I don't really know for sure, but my feeling is that the previous posters are indicative of the market in that 40K is more popular than WHFB. Since Relic/THQ presumably don't have any particular hook to make a great WHFB game, it would have just been another money pit. I don't see any more synergy between the IPs than between, say, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

15. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:43 Orogogus

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:28:
I know that the licences are separate but I can't help feeling that this is another sign that THQ is really struggling, as I would have thought they'd be the first to try to get such a licence.
I don't agree. Total War really does seem like the closest fit for the tabletop game. Fantasy and 40K have some similarities, but Fantasy has always been more about blocks of units and formations while 40K has always been more about individual unit profiles, which seems more friendly to the traditional click-and-attack RTS. WHFB doesn't seem to play to Relic's strength's at all.

If THQ had ever wanted the license, they could presumably have just gone out and gotten it, either before or after the mediocre Mark of Chaos. The fact that they didn't then or now doesn't really say anything to me other than they just didn't want to do a WHFB or an orc-and-elf game, any more than they didn't get a license for Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Wheel of Time, or whatever.

3. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 Orogogus

Going off of Mobygames, I don't see that THQ has ever had anything to do with any Warhammer Fantasy games, of which there have only been about 5 games. It's likely they either only had the 40K license, or had the Fantasy license alongside 40K but were uninterested in it.

WHFB seems like a good fit for a Total War game, though.

News Comments > Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days
44. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 18:41 Orogogus

Gib007 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 17:19:
The main market for them seems to be the spotty teenagers who find games like Battlefield and Far Cry "too complex" for them. I would know, I'm a school teacher and work with them every day and all I hear is "CoD this, CoD that" day in, day out, hahaha.
Judging from a handful of tenants I've had, CoD is also extremely popular in the US military, or at least the Navy and the Marines.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 30, 2012, 00:08 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:09:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 17:46:
I didn't miss it, but it doesn't look worse to me. It's like a Flash animation. Choppy, yes, but the original is early era 3D, which aged badly. I really don't like looking at it, at all. Everything about it is an unattractive product of its time. Even if the new one uses that stop-start animation, at least it's hand drawn.
I can hand draw in paint too.

Sure. But age doesn't harm 2D art much. Good 2D art -- like the main body of the Infinity Engine games -- holds up a lot better than good or middling 3D art from the 90s -- like that original intro.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 17:46 Orogogus

WaltC wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:28:
If they start adding new content in addition to selectively removing original content then we have moved from "enhancement" to "editing" and I think that's going to cause them some problems. You like the new intro better than the old one--which I find remarkable. It seems to me your chief objection to the original intro was the guy's helmet--which I agree has always looked dorky...;) Nevertheless, that exact helmet is available in the original game, which is why they used it, imo. Some people have always disliked the way the game itself renders helmets and so a mod was developed that allowed the player to remove all of the helmet animations if desired.
All that doesn't make the helmet look any less terrible. I mean, the headgear in KotOR looks terrible, too, but they don't usually show it in the cutscenes. Taking the dork helmet out of the cutscene is an improvement.

You should carefully watch both new and old intros a couple of times back to back--because if you do I do not see how you can miss that the "enhanced" version runs in choppy fashion (while not choppy itself), whereas the original flows pretty well. I much prefer the original intro.
I didn't miss it, but it doesn't look worse to me. It's like a Flash animation. Choppy, yes, but the original is early era 3D, which aged badly. I really don't like looking at it, at all. Everything about it is an unattractive product of its time. Even if the new one uses that stop-start animation, at least it's hand drawn.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 13:08 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:09:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 01:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

Holy cow, that new intro looks horrid. I canít believe they actually thought that was release worthy. Makes me wonder what kind of real enhancements are in this game after watching that travesty.

It's not good, but I do think the original intro (as linked by DrEvil) is worse, even allowing for the era. I can't imagine what process events led to that helmet making it into the shipping product.

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
37. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 19:23 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 18:49:
Galciv II still has the best AI I've ever seen in a strategic game. And as far as I know, it doesn't cheat. Playing that on the top 2 difficulty levels is basically asking to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

Galciv II AIs do cheat starting a little past the middle setting (i.e., past "Intelligent").

http://www.stardock.com/screenshots/cheatquery/
- Developer notes that high level AIs get extra money and at the highest level mostly ignore fog of war

http://galciv.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_level
- Wikia notes that game difficulties post-1.5 give up to 400% economy/production/research bonuses, as well as miniaturization and sensors

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2012, 15:54 Orogogus

It's censorship. What if I want to find information about the court case about the guy in Australia who was incorrectly linked to organized crime? Down the memory hole it goes, oh well. What about countries where the legal authorities are themselves appalling?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2012, 14:20 Orogogus

I thought people here were generally angry and indignant when the torrent sites get hit.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
103. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 22:08 Orogogus

Bhruic wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 21:42:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 21:28:
Bhruic wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 20:43:
You very likely can find stats that'll demonstrate that GTAIV sold 15 times as many units on XBox/PS3 as the PC. But what those stats also reflect is the 8 month wait time. You can check out games that have simultaneous releases and find that even when the PC comes in 3rd (and it sometimes doesn't), it's usually a close 3rd. There's no reason to suspect that the PC couldn't do equally well with the GTA franchise were it to have a simultaneous release.

I can't think of when that's been the case. 15 times would be an exaggeration, but I want to say it's usually about a 55%/25%/20% split between 360/PS3/PC.

Are you sure this was aimed at me? Because you start off with saying you can't think of when that's been the case, and then list a bunch of examples where what I said is the case.

Well, it's a close 3rd with the understanding that there's a large gap between 1st and 2nd.

Those generally don't include PC digital downloads (so everyone's going to immediately say "meaningless"), but it might at least be a bad idea to write off the 80% of retail sales represented by the 2 consoles if you're going to make a hugely expensive game.

Not to mention the above making no sense at all. No one has suggested they release is on PC and don't release it on XBox/PS3. Just that they release on all 3 at the same time.

Sempai, who Madguy was responding to, implied that they shouldn't release it on consoles ("...instead you put it on 7yr old hardware that looks like shit."), which led to the sales comparisons.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
101. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 21:28 Orogogus

Bhruic wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 20:43:
Madguy wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 20:04:
This is probably going to be one of the most expensive games ever made, if not THE most expensive. Since they'll likely sell 15 times as many units on the Xbox/PS3 as they would the PC, those consoles need to be their target platform. That's where the resources need to go.

You very likely can find stats that'll demonstrate that GTAIV sold 15 times as many units on XBox/PS3 as the PC. But what those stats also reflect is the 8 month wait time. You can check out games that have simultaneous releases and find that even when the PC comes in 3rd (and it sometimes doesn't), it's usually a close 3rd. There's no reason to suspect that the PC couldn't do equally well with the GTA franchise were it to have a simultaneous release.

I can't think of when that's been the case. 15 times would be an exaggeration, but I want to say it's usually about a 55%/25%/20% split between 360/PS3/PC.

Crysis 2

Dragon Age 2

Duke Nukem Forever

Those generally don't include PC digital downloads (so everyone's going to immediately say "meaningless"), but it might at least be a bad idea to write off the 80% of retail sales represented by the 2 consoles if you're going to make a hugely expensive game.

Activision-Blizzard does describe their relative revenue in their 2011 annual report, which put WoW at $1.4B, 360 at $1.1B, PS3 at $900M, and non-WoW PC at $374M:

Link - p.14

News Comments > Descent Fan Remake
24. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 01:07 Orogogus

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:01:
Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Descent 2 multiplayer has to be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. There is nothing like fully 3D multiplayer battles in a contained space/arena like Descent.

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

The terrain system was a giant wash because weapons in descent were designed for small scale battles inside arenas, not for huge distance outside flying. So descent 3 ended up failing at retail. Not to mention FPS games have basically encapsulated vehicular shooters making them redundant, people want things like Halo and Just cause and GTA where you can just have a world and choose to be man with a gun or jump in a vehicle. Being restrained to vehicles would never wash with a modern audience of a large size I don't think.

Reality is descent was also newbie unfriendly, most FPS gamers got slaughtered because they can't handle true 3D movement. That's why first person shooters caught on - they were easier to control and jump into then descent.

Descent being fully 3D gave people motion sickness as well. So it had a few things going against it.

On top of all that, I feel the game favored people who had a joystick with a hat switch, which was never a huge majority of PC gamers. I'm sure there are people who did great with mouse and keyboard, but I dunno; the one guy in my dorm who had the fancy Logitech stick just kept slaughtering the rest of us.

News Comments > Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming
28. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:27 Orogogus

shihonage wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:08:
Are you familiar with the phrase "keeping an honest man honest"? You know that most door locks cannot withstand a deliberate intrusion, and yet leaving your door open isn't quite the same as having one locked - no matter how flawed the lock is.

So there goes your comparison between cheats, hacks, and having end-game items staring you in the face 30 minutes through the game.

With a trite saying? You have to actually put the gun in your inventory, and wield it, the same way you would have to type in a console command or install a hack. This talk of locks and honest men is why we still have people throwing bitchfits about games that let you save anywhere.

To you this may be a non-issue, but it is definitely not a "feature" by any stretch of the imagination. It adds nothing to the game, only subtracts from it.

Here's a stretch -- the DLC costs money, and you're getting it for free. Or: with the DLC, you can play without the new guns, but without it, you can't play with them.

That's why there's a 23-page about it, on Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780675

You're never going to win an Internet argument by pointing to another forum's thread, because every forum think all the other forums are full of idiots. That thread is full of idiots. They're wrong about the ammo drops. The console versions, without DLC, also have ammo for guns you don't and shouldn't have. Those are fixed drops. If it weren't the case, you'd be picking up wrong ammo through the whole damn game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 00:51 Orogogus

strong placebo wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:33:
I agree with Beamer -- a good plasma out does a good LCD anytime.
Eh, I'd say as long as that time isn't the middle of the day. I have a plasma, with some kind of fancy schmancy coating on the glass, but it's just not good in the day unless I draw all the blinds and shut the curtains. It's kind of inconvenient, and I'd say that if the sun is actually shining on the set then the worst LCD outperforms the best plasma.

995 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo