Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 917 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
22. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 16:45 Orogogus

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:34:
On another note: Why don't companies like EA, Activision, etc. all host their old games that no one in their right mind would pay money for as free downloads? It wouldn't cost them anything, it would be good PR and it would save people from having to trudge to various sites looking for old gems. Seems like there would only be winners in that scenario.

Depending on the era, some old games might need more tweaking than just bundling with a copy of DOSBOX. I'm not current on the state of compatibility issues, but I think early Win95 games still tend to be problematic. Or they might not be able to find the documentation, code wheels, etc. They might not be able to find the actual games, given the generally primitive backup technology of the time. Or they could be worried about dealing with support issues. There could be rights issues, maybe, if for whatever reason they aren't the sole property of the publisher.

And of course there's also the problem that EA and Activision wouldn't know good PR if it bit them on the ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
8. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 11:39 Orogogus

MacLeod wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:30:
Hmm... I'll have to dig through my old stuff and find my original Wasteland paragraphs supplement to play. It sucks trying to play the original with a text file for the paragraphs.

It kind of sucks playing it with the original book, too. It would be awesome if they could rejigger the game to put in the text.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 13:00 Orogogus

Ratty wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:23:
3 different computers between work and home, 1 with Windows XP, 2 with Windows 7. And not one of them has ever been able to play any Vimeo videos. Neither MSIE or Firefox. What's up with that?

I guess the anti-downloading thing is why people seem to be using it more.

I had a problem where videos wouldn't play if I had my screen rotated to portrait instead of landscape, and it took me forever to track it down since I would never rotate that particular monitor into the normal position. So maybe odd resolutions cause it to bug out?

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded
2. Re: World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded Jul 3, 2012, 11:42 Orogogus

From what I've seen it's about as much of a sim as space "sims" like X-Wing, Freespace, etc. There's a lot of details like armor sloping and locations of internal components that you wouldn't usually see in a full-on arcade shooter. On the other hand, apparently you also see tanks bonking into each other, too.  

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves LucasArts
13. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves LucasArts Jun 30, 2012, 21:11 Orogogus

People also seem to think well of the Lego games, KotOR, Outlaws, the pod racing game, Full Throttle, and the Dig. People say good things about Rebellion, although I honestly don't understand why.

Grim Fandango was as good as or better than TIE Fighter, although obviously not directly comparable.

News Comments > SOE Live Tickets on Sale
2. Re: SOE Live Tickets on Sale Jun 29, 2012, 16:30 Orogogus

People here seemed excited about Planetside 2.

I don't know what to say about Everquest, though.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?
29. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 11:58 Orogogus

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:31:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 23:28:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 21:26:
Has Valve ever given a reason as to why they hate making a third title in a series or is that just a fallacy created by fans?
No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth.

Some people like that: by Gordon NOT talking it immerses you more into the story... that YOU'RE Gordon.

The imagination can cope with that a lot more than "your" voice-over speaking for you... often saying something you wouldn't even want to say. Or going into 3rd person to show "you" doing something or talking to someone.

Personally, I don't care either way. But to some people, doing it that way tells the story better than occasionally turning the game into an advanced "pop up book"

I just wish they wouldn't draw attention to the fact in-game. As soon as someone says "Strong, silent type, eh?" I just want to say "Mmmfff mmf mmrrf!!!"

News Comments > Endless Space Begins Next Month
2. Re: Endless Space Begins Next Month Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 Orogogus

Broadly speaking, it seems like whenever a space shooter does come out, people pooh-pooh it and say they'd rather have a new TIE Fighter, Wing Commander or Freespace game. And Freespace 2 was a legendary bomb.

There are a few going on at Kickstarter (http://spacesimcentral.com/?p=784), but it's hard to say that any space shooter is going to sell millions of copies and justify a colossal budget. The recent 4X games haven't necessarily been AAA titles, but people don't seem to settle for anything less in a space shooter.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Details
11. Re: Not quite Jun 26, 2012, 11:57 Orogogus

Supposedly the $120 tier sold a lot more than they expected, and more than the other tiers, so it seems to have worked.  

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: Revelations 2012 Jun 26, 2012, 11:53 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 23:16:
jimnms wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 22:36:
http://youtu.be/LzTo6XUiIA4

I'll have to watch that later when I have time, but the first two minutes or so had me laughing out loud...

If you haven't gone back yet, I wouldn't bother. It devolves pretty quickly into repeated variations of "Holy crap this game really sucks". The options screen at the very beginning is probably the high point.

News Comments > etc., etc.
16. Re: etc., etc. Jun 24, 2012, 17:14 Orogogus

Even rolling charts -- e.g., stock price charts -- usually put the low end of the x-axis on the left, and they usually label the axis, too. It's just that it seems like the charts were intentionally made to present the opposite conclusion.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 17:11 Orogogus

I remember about a year ago being extremely put off by the fact that the LibreOffice website couldn't be bothered to put up a short explanation of how it was better or even different from OpenOffice, other than to state that it was a fork in the development path or something. As a consumer I want to know which product suits my needs better, and I had no luck figuring it out.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:03 Orogogus

Chromius wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:52:
Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years

If that's the case, I think they missed a key part of the strategy, i.e., actually releasing it for the consoles they dumbed it down for.

14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2012, 20:09 Orogogus

Huh. Why are the charts that way?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 16:53 Orogogus

As a control issue it still doesn't make sense to invoke global gloom and doom and collaborate with outsiders unnecessarily. A government can just point to Los Angeles or Beijing for justification on why intervention is needed to reign in pollution. The FDA doesn't need to manufacture an artificial drug poisoning epidemic to justify its existence. It can start from reasonable measures and then over-bureaucratize over time.

If there were someone with an actual agenda, it would make more sense to focus on the local effects of pollution and use those to establish regulations. Secondhand smoke as an issue took hold amazingly quickly and with relatively little dissent. Making it a global issue just muddies the waters and brings in even more outsiders to the table.

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter Funded
2. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 15:26 Orogogus

I haven't really followed the video game ones particularly closely, but this is how other Kickstarters have been for a while. Those are their stretch goals. They keep people enthused and donating after the project has hit its original goal.  

11. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2012, 14:45 Orogogus

The all-time chart does seem to show a drop from a former steady point at ~30K to ~15K, and Umbragen didn't specify a time period.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 14:42 Orogogus

1. Those spending actions are justifications that would be used for raising taxes, as indicated by the word "to".

2. The same checks that keep the government from raising taxes at the federal level apply to climate change regulation as well.

3. You'll note that James Lovelock still believes in manmade global warming.

The base argument is, why would governments need to fund a global warming scare to raise revenue? There are easier, more profitable ways.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2012, 14:47.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 12:28 Orogogus

Matshock wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:01:
as I alluded to before, greedy & incompetent governments with taxation agendas have an absolute monopoly on the research so that's not surprising.

This just sounds incredibly contrived and tinfoil hat every time you bring it up as an arguing point. Greedy governments don't need to make up stories about climate change to raise taxes. They can raise taxes just because. In countries where they have to care about votes, the demographic swayed by climate change arguments is the same one that would be willing to shift the tax burden from low earners to corporations. It's in these governments' interest to have companies earning more money and then slapping taxes on them to offset the deficit, to pay for universal health care, to safeguard against an increase in Chinese defense spending, to bail out the Detroit auto industry, anything they feel like, none of which requires research, grant money or handing the burden of justification to people and organizations outside their direct control. There are far simpler and more broadly appealing pretexts than a climate change bogeyman, wherein the hypothetical insane government(s) have picked something that goes down as well as a tax to fund abortions.

When people posit the reverse, that giant, polluting corporations have enormous incentive to muddle the climate change argument, it's a much more direct line of argument.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
12. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:55 Orogogus

There are other MMOs that have survived besides WOW. EVE Online has kept its niche going for almost 10 years, WWII Online isn't dead yet, Everquest I don't even know what, and somehow Ultima Online is apparently still around. And of course LotR Online prospering after going F2P helped set the current trend.

There's only one game making money hand over fist like a license to print money, but the other guys aren't necessarily doing that badly.

917 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo