Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 917 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
18. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2012, 02:28 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 02:07:
That's how it generally goes. The console versions get pirated first, but once the PC release gets out it usually has 10-50 times as many downloaders and seeders.

"10-50" times is an exaggeration from the numbers I generally see. Actually 10 times seems closer to the top end. Also, a good portion of that number is due to console gamers who feel entitled to the PC version because they already bought the console version. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard that justification on forums and in person.

If I go to the world's most popular torrent site, put in Skyrim and sort by seeds, the first console download isn't even on the first page, and it's outnumbered by the first PC download alone by about 100-1. Dark Souls released much, much later on the PC, but even taking that into consideration it's outnumbering the 360 version by like 1938 to 9. Max Payne might be a more balanced example, and it looks like about 40:1.

My methodology was to go to the PC category, sort by seeds, and then search for the top titles that I knew to have a console release. If I flip it around, Sleeping Dogs is currently the biggest 360 download, and is around 30:1. How are you checking?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2012, 01:47 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 01:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 00:51:
Console version is pirated - friends already playing it - say it is pretty darn good....can't wait for my steam unlock!

Don't you love how that is? All the bitching about piracy on PC, and the console versions are almost always leaked first. Then all it takes is the use of Steamworks to at least guarantee nobody plays it until release day.

That's how it generally goes. The console versions get pirated first, but once the PC release gets out it usually has 10-50 times as many downloaders and seeders.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam
16. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:42 Orogogus

Wolfen wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:40:
I'm hoping some one remakes the EOB series. Or even just one of them.

The only one that really stands up, in my opinion, is EOB 2. EOB is kind of simple, and EOB 3 was bad.

14. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:20 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:01:
PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:25:
Yeah but I question the ability to do anything more than what Grimrock itself did. There's only so many types of puzzles and hidden wall switches Grimrock is capable of, and the original campaign managed to cover most bases.

I bet people will be re-creating games like EOTB.

Like I said earlier, there were only ever a handful of games like Grimrock, and one of them had randomly generated dungeons as its schtick.

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
20. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 17:06 Orogogus

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 15:33:
This was my only real complaint about steam... I'm glad to see they resolved it.

Well, it would also be nice to have an option not to auto-pause all downloads every time you start a game. Not every game is super-sensitive to bandwidth dips.

7. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 13:05 Orogogus

There were only ever a handful of games in this genre. 3 EotB games, Dungeon Hack, Dungeon Master and Stonekeep. I think people were talking about recreating Wizardry, but those turn-based dungeon crawlers were never designed for dancing around in real-time combat. Like, Might and Magic would have giant 1-wide spiral corridors, which would utterly suck.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video
2. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 16:44 Orogogus

The article should say Heart of the Swarm, not Storm.  

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
115. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 7, 2012, 08:27 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 06:35:
As far as Brad commenting on the Qt3 forums, there's plausible deniability. "It wasn't me, obviously someone was spoofing my name." He couldn't do that if he'd actually responded directly to Kotaku. So, he went to a forum.

I don't want to make an account to look back, but the Qt3 forum profile says it was created in 2002, with 3,060 posts. If social media can be taken as evidence, it might not be so easy to duck out of responsibility for your posts.

More utter bizarreness from the response to the motion to dismiss: link

Parts of the original document on scribd

102. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 7, 2012, 00:07 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 21:14:
Bet wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 21:08:
NegaDeath wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:20:
Beelzebud wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:09:
Have a look at this delicious forum thread where Wardell decides to set the record straight. This guy is a few beers short of a 6-pack. I'll bet his lawyers love him right about now.

When you find yourself in a hole: STOP DIGGING

He just keeps digging that hole deeper. The one commenter on there is right, his lawyers are going to kill him for publicly discussing his ongoing case on an open forum.
Good lord. That thread is unbelievable.

At this point, if his lawyers are anything sensible they should resign. Brad is literally destroying his own case in that thread to the point I'm not sure it's going to be recoverable.

As someone in that thread said, the only things that will really anger his lawyers are if their billable hours go down, or if he doesn't pay. They still get paid if they lose, and a batshit crazy client isn't really a mark against them.

89. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 21:05 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 20:36:
@ Orogogus

What isn't clear to me is if the behavior continued after the woman made it clear it was unwanted and considered inappropriate. That is what would constitute illegal harassment as far as I understand the law. As the lawyer explained, it only becomes illegal after it continues past the notification.

Brad asserting that he's going to continue harassment, and in fact he'll close the company rather than change his behavior, seems pretty damning.

77. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 19:58 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 19:36:
While we don't know enough to know if this ever happened in this particular case, I think it's a point worth mentioning that harassment laws are very clear that the behavior in question must have been called to the attention of the alleged harasser as being unwanted and viewed inappropriate by the harassed for it to be legally actionable. Judging from some of the comments in this thread it's not clear that everyone understands that.

I'm not a lawyer but as it happens only last week my company had its annual "harassment awareness" annual training where they have a lawyer come in and explain the legal process in detail.

Brad admits in so many words that it happened, because he's a crazy person and likes talking about litigation on the Internet.

Link

She later emailed me telling me she was mad about the incident - to which I apologized for hurting her feeligs but also insisted that I watch what jokes I tell around the office. (To understand the context, we're a relaxed software company, lots of Family guy jokes, Simpsons references, Robot Chicken references, etc.). To which I responded, admittedly, very very harshly to.

Now, you can argue that I was a jerk in how I responded to her.

And from the Kotaku article that Blue linked:

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for bringing these up to me as I certainly do not want you to feel uncomfortable at work.

I don't recall item #1 but will certainly endeavor to be extra careful.

I understand #2. I will be more conscious of this in the future.

#3, however is not acceptable to me. I am an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar, and embarrassing person and I'm not inclined to change my behavior. If this is a problem, you will need to find another job.

#4, Again, I am not willing to adapt my behavior to suit others. IF you find my behavior problematic, I recommend finding another job.

I'm not some manager or coworker of yours. I own the company. It, and your job here, exist to suit my purposes, not vice versa. The company is not an end unto itself, it is a means to an end which is to further the objectives of its shareholders (in this case, me).

While I certainly agree that your rights as a person (certainly in terms of physical contact or interms of comments made towards you regarding your private live) take precedence over my rights as the owner of the business, that is as far as it goes.

I sincerely apologize for offending you while on our trip. I certainly would never intentionally try to upset you or make you uncomfortable and will endeavor to avoid doing so in the future. However, I won't change my basic personality to suit anyone (i.e. being an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar and embarrassing person).

Kind regards,

Brad

So, yes, it happened. The accuser brought it to the harasser's attention, who later posted it on the Internet with the apparent attitude of "So of course you can see I'm innocent." To be clear, #3 was her asking Brad to be careful about telling jokes which are often vulgar or sexist, which really seems like the demonstration scenarios in harassment training.

60. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 17:46 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 17:33:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 17:18:
Beh.

Sexual harassment complaints are the easiest "get rich quick" schemes on the planet these days.

That and claims of racism. I've seen too many bogus claims of each where I have worked to just take anything at face value anymore. While the evidence in the emails at least make it clear that at the very least the woman is just making stuff up out of thin air

You mean "...not just making stuff up out of thin air", I assume.

News Comments > TRANSFORMERS Dinobot Destructor Pack DLC Next Week
7. Re: TRANSFORMERS Dinobot Destructor Pack DLC Next Week Sep 6, 2012, 00:52 Orogogus

ViRGE wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 00:29:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 23:54:
The Transformer wiki says that Hasbro generally stopped using "Slag" to refer to a particular Dinobot after they found out that it was a bad word in British English. So a lot of the Triceratops became Snarl instead, which seems like an even worse solution.
They must have found that out fairly recently. Beast Wars loved to use slag as an expletive.

No, I think they still do that. But apparently they don't want to use it as the name of a toy. Maybe they change it in the UK versions? Dunno.

News Comments > TRANSFORMERS Dinobot Destructor Pack DLC Next Week
4. Re: TRANSFORMERS Dinobot Destructor Pack DLC Next Week Sep 5, 2012, 23:54 Orogogus

The Transformer wiki says that Hasbro generally stopped using "Slag" to refer to a particular Dinobot after they found out that it was a bad word in British English. So a lot of the Triceratops became Snarl instead, which seems like an even worse solution.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
43. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 3, 2012, 02:30 Orogogus

He didn't say screen size, he said viewing distance, and normally the closer you are the easier it is to see pixelation. The retina display iPhones are 960x640 and are meant to be viewed from at least 1 foot away.

In this case, the screens are so close to your eye that they're ought to be even smaller than an iPhone, so the pixel size might be reasonable. And they say the final version should be higher resolution than the development kits.

News Comments > Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
63. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 12:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:25:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:56:
Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:49:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:44:
There are no cheap, easy wins in the drug industry.

Not sure why I'm the one you're arguing with, but sure there are. Anything incremental is a cheap, easy win.

It's all relative, is it not?

You posited that there were few incentives for drug companies to go after bigger, more difficult gains. In reality, those projects get looked at a lot because all drug development for the US is difficult whether it's for a cold symptom suppressant or the cure for cancer. The buy in cost is very, very high (although it is admittedly much higher for cases where the clinical trials will involve people dying). If you haven't seen many of the hard ones yet, it's because things that are hard take time.

And if they can make as much money on the easy ones they go for those. It's hard science, but the decision making isn't - if a company has two options in front of them, one that will take 100 million to get to market and one that will take 50 million, and the expected revenues for both are about the same, and the likelihood to get to market are about the same, which do they go after?

The situation is often more like that the buy in cost (clinical trials, FDA clearance, patent work) is enormous - say, $1 billion -- and then the remaining difference is relatively small - tens of millions. In such a situation companies look at the bottom line of how much money it can make because a lot of the cost is already set (or can't be anticipated, which is almost the same thing). And there's no longer really any low hanging fruit to be had, although some things, like cures for cancer, are known to be difficult.

60. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:49:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:44:
There are no cheap, easy wins in the drug industry.

Not sure why I'm the one you're arguing with, but sure there are. Anything incremental is a cheap, easy win.

It's all relative, is it not?

You posited that there were few incentives for drug companies to go after bigger, more difficult gains. In reality, those projects get looked at a lot because all drug development for the US is difficult whether it's for a cold symptom suppressant or the cure for cancer. The buy in cost is very, very high (although it is admittedly much higher for cases where the clinical trials will involve people dying). If you haven't seen many of the hard ones yet, it's because things that are hard take time.

58. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 11:44 Orogogus

There are no cheap, easy wins in the drug industry. Any new pharmaceutical requires a multi-phase clinical trial with hundreds or thousands of consented participants, takes about 10 years, and is usually built on the ashes of previous attempts that failed to prove efficacy. You can rest assured that plenty of money is being poured into going after big long term wins.

The pharmaceutical industry and the FDA cut a balance between rewarding the expensive development process and allowing generics to provide cheaper alternatives. The life of a drug patent is 20 years, which includes the ~10 years in clinical trials before it can go to market.

I think people underestimate how difficult and expensive it is to develop a drug and take it through clinical trials, or how easy it is to reverse engineer and manufacture it from the patent once it's been approved.

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: are you not entertained? Jul 20, 2012, 05:28 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 01:47:
All very true, but ask any Christian if they would be okay with homosexuals being legally allowed to enter into a "civil union", which ultimately is EXACTLY the same as marriage in a legal and practical sense and all but the most fanatical ones (who frankly make the vast majority of other Christians uncomfortable because of their inexplicable fervor) are just fine with it.** They may not approve of the behavior but they feel less threatened because their precious word "Marriage" is no longer "under attack", whatever the hell that means.

I haven't found that to be generally true. Legislation to grant marriage-like benefits to same-gender civil unions have been regularly opposed. Legislation to allow civil unions gets blocked when, as you point out, it would be the easiest way to protect the churches' precious marriage, much, much more cheaply than the current campaign. And on an individual basis people I know will spout the same bullshit arguments that the churches and GOP spew. Prop 8 here in California got a lot of people to form an opinion one way or the other.

4. Re: Game Reviews Jul 13, 2012, 19:09 Orogogus

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 16:54:
They need to simply stop making these "Gratuitous" games and go with something else. They have a reputation for mediocrity that will be all but impossible to overcome. Wipe the slate and start over.

Isn't this only the second game with the Gratuitous moniker? I think there was only Space Battles and now this.

917 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo