Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 930 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2012, 15:47 Orogogus

I feel like a faithful HD remake would be a free Flash game, or maybe an extremely low cost throwaway title. There wasn't any content in the original game that would justify more than about a $5 price tag.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter
22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:49 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:13:
He's been "making Elite 4" for like 20 years now. Please throw money at him so he can keep "making Elite 4" for another 20 years!

I'd gladly buy Elite 4 if it ever came out, but like Blue said, it's such incredible vaporware that it makes Duke Nukem Forever look like a reasonable way to develop a game.

Don't give him money. It's not going to get made.

Creston

I'm pretty sure I first read about Braben and his big plans for Elite on USENET. The only other contender still in the running for vaporware champion is the Starflight 3 fan project.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 23:32 Orogogus

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:19:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:29:
Doesn't really matter much. Publishers just auto ignore console piracy anyways.

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

He said publishers, which while true of Microsoft and Sony, would only apply to the games they publish. Microsoft bans modded consoles because it hurts their bottom line, it's hardly a simple matter of lost sales but lost licensing fees, goodwill, etc., on the old accounting spreadsheet. When third party publishing is your lifeblood, you tend to take other factors into consideration.

The goodwill you refer to is why I connected MS and Sony to publishers. Microsoft and Sony have less to lose than the publishers from console piracy, and pressure to ban modded consoles has to be coming from the publishers, either directly or indirectly. If the publishers didn't care, then it's hard to imagine MS and Sony being so proactive in cutting off revenue streams.

And that said, it's hard to imagine what people chest-beating about perceived inaction regarding console piracy are thinking. Publishers aren't going to start putting DRM on console discs. A console game that can't surmount the piracy overhead probably won't get publishing money in the first place.

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942
29. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 21:50 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:40:
BF1942 had me hooked for months despite my lifelong aversion to multiplayer games; it was that good. Eventually though it got tiring have a 10 to 1 death:kill ratio.

As far as requiring Origin, however, no thanks. I don't buy into the whole conspiracy theorist silliness about it being malware or spyware (like Verno said, it functions similarly to Steam in that regard) or that it being from despicable EA makes it automatically bad per se. You really don't need to fabricate stuff to make Origin appear bad though; by simple factual comparison to Steam it sucks so bad that EA ought to be discounting games that require it by 50% just for users having to put up with it. It is awful in every sense of the word - every bit as bad as the horrid Games For Windows Live abomination to me, though not in exactly the same ways.

I'm not opposed to a viable competitor to Steam (choice is always good) but Origin isn't even in the same league as Steam. Even if it was, I'm a one-stop-shopping, all-my-eggs-in-one-basket kind of guy, so I'd be sticking with Steam regardless. EA is probably losing considerable money by not releasing all of their titles on Steam.

According to the PA forums Origin/EA's one strong point over Steam/Valve is customer service. If you have a problem EA's customer support gets you into live chat, and they often give you a free game for your trouble. Valve on the other hand is evidently staffed by automatons, accessible only by email, who take days to answer with canned responses that don't solve the problem.

One person bought Sid Meier's Railroads! and put it in his gift inventory, after which the game was cut from Steam; his gift was yanked and won't be coming back. People whose accounts were locked for any reason have basically no recourse.

Everything else about Origin is equal or worse, though. But as one person noted, when everyone gets to do what they want, apparently no one opts for customer service.

News Comments > U.K. Charts
2. Re: U.K. Charts Nov 5, 2012, 17:40 Orogogus

There are a ton of Farming Simulator mods out there, which I don't really understand either.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 16:56 Orogogus

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:29:
Darks wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:22:
Just assholes trying to make the pc out as the issue as always.
Doesn't really matter much. Publishers just auto ignore console piracy anyways.

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 3, 2012, 10:50 Orogogus

Cram wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 04:13:
Yet a point remains. How often does a major AAA+ PC only release get leaked a month early? PC, where apparently all the piracy happens. I'm am sure someone will provide an example of some game, but it seems to happen to console games far FAR more. At least you hear about about it more; some developers and publishers pretend it never happens and still ignore the PC for fear of pirates.

I don't think they pretend it never happens, but I do think a lot of PC gamers seem to pretend that there's no more piracy on the PC than on consoles, which is unlikely. How often do you see 5,000 seeders for a console game, or 15,000 leechers? It's also not hard to go to a torrent site and look for any PC & console release and find a wall of PC torrents with a few lonely console equivalents near the bottom.

The game companies don't even have to do that; they have sales data, and they can compare that against the number of people who are playing online, who have submitted their CD keys, or anything else that's exposed. Or they can just count the money and draw their own conclusions.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 29, 2012, 19:46 Orogogus

The WHO is part of the UN, and did good against smallpox and polio.

The people being sued by the content creators in that article all had a business set up around importation and resale. No one seems to be a Joe Everyman who just wanted to buy a cheaper textbook to get through the semester. As such the argument's already been pushed all the way to the endpoint - should companies be allowed to sell products at higher prices in wealthier markets, and more cheaply in poorer ones?

I think we already went over the extreme case here before: buying up Steam keys from Asia & Eastern Europe and reselling them in the US. Purely digital, so it's basically all profit, with no need to put anything on a boat. As I recall, the argument is basically that people in weaker economies have no fundamental right to affordable video games, whereas consumers do have the right to buy things and resell them wherever they want.

There was a Valve interview where they noted that games used to be sold in Russia at parity with Western countries and released months later, so of course everyone just pirated everything. Now apparently Valve has become the first Western distributor to make major inroads in Russia, selling at deep discounts on or near the same release date as the West, but it could just cannibalize publishers' primary sales markets. So it might be better for them to just go back to horrifically overpriced & months late, and let the Asians and Eastern Europeans pirate everything.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
18. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 26, 2012, 21:05 Orogogus

He's not wrong about music apps, though. As an Android owner, those counterexamples are in fact pretty embarrassing. Yeesh.  

News Comments > Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced
29. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 21:16 Orogogus

^mortis^ wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:55:
completely agreed with Yakub. it was entertaining, but Assassin's Creed and The Dark Mod both do what this game set out to do better.

it's certainly not BAD, but neither is it the second coming of stealth/action.

kinda funny that the most thoughtful and intelligent comment on these boards in a long time that exhibits no poor grammar or childish insults is called a troll. sign of the times...

Not really. The rebuttals seem solid. Yakubs' two points are 1) the game doesn't give you incentive to play stealth or Rambo; 2) he doesn't care about the plot, partially because of the silent protagonist and partly because he says "Why should I care?" to everything that happens in the game. If I'm oversimplifying, how?

The rebuttal to the first is that the motivation to play one way or the other should be coming from the player, and that a game that allows multiple pathways is generally better one that artificially rewards or punishes the player for not doing what the designers want (something you see all the time in video games).

And the second is basically a lot of words for something extremely subjective. People are allowed to not like a game's plot, but unless you want cutscenes where your character spouts one-liners (and a lot of people do), there's nothing that the game does particularly badly in the storyline department.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal
54. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 19:06 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 19:01:
Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:57:

While I agree, I am not convinced to put $25 for something just to support an idea when the end project may not be worth $25 to me.

I despise MMOs. Despise. And the mechanics that tend to make successful MMOs are ones not ones I enjoy. So until I see the mechanics that Roberts plans to use I'm in no rush to put any of my money in.

I can sympathize with that, fuck mmos.
Freelancer's online server tech was awesome. It played exactly like the single player game. Pure action. That's what I'm expecting. They can do all kinds of optimizations because of the game's star system setup.

I think the distinct feeling is that if you tell Chris Roberts that you love MMOs, all of a sudden this game is going to have raids and clans and what not. The only thing it isn't is a console game; other than that it's as grandiose as anything Derek Smart ever put forth.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced
11. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Announced Oct 17, 2012, 04:55 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 03:06:
So they are making SOTS into a MUD?.. Yeah? ... just.. no.. nooo!

Their website says this is singleplayer, so no.

News Comments > Game Reviews
20. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2012, 03:08 Orogogus

That's interesting, since the numbers are much closer, about 4:1, but unfortunately they don't really go into their calculations, other than to say they collected the data from public trackers.

I did try going to an aggregator first, but their sorting options and categories generally aren't so good, making it hard to figure out what's what.

18. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2012, 02:28 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 02:07:
That's how it generally goes. The console versions get pirated first, but once the PC release gets out it usually has 10-50 times as many downloaders and seeders.

"10-50" times is an exaggeration from the numbers I generally see. Actually 10 times seems closer to the top end. Also, a good portion of that number is due to console gamers who feel entitled to the PC version because they already bought the console version. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard that justification on forums and in person.

If I go to the world's most popular torrent site, put in Skyrim and sort by seeds, the first console download isn't even on the first page, and it's outnumbered by the first PC download alone by about 100-1. Dark Souls released much, much later on the PC, but even taking that into consideration it's outnumbering the 360 version by like 1938 to 9. Max Payne might be a more balanced example, and it looks like about 40:1.

My methodology was to go to the PC category, sort by seeds, and then search for the top titles that I knew to have a console release. If I flip it around, Sleeping Dogs is currently the biggest 360 download, and is around 30:1. How are you checking?

16. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2012, 01:47 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 01:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 00:51:
Console version is pirated - friends already playing it - say it is pretty darn good....can't wait for my steam unlock!

Don't you love how that is? All the bitching about piracy on PC, and the console versions are almost always leaked first. Then all it takes is the use of Steamworks to at least guarantee nobody plays it until release day.

That's how it generally goes. The console versions get pirated first, but once the PC release gets out it usually has 10-50 times as many downloaders and seeders.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam
16. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:42 Orogogus

Wolfen wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:40:
I'm hoping some one remakes the EOB series. Or even just one of them.

The only one that really stands up, in my opinion, is EOB 2. EOB is kind of simple, and EOB 3 was bad.

14. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:20 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:01:
PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:25:
Yeah but I question the ability to do anything more than what Grimrock itself did. There's only so many types of puzzles and hidden wall switches Grimrock is capable of, and the original campaign managed to cover most bases.

I bet people will be re-creating games like EOTB.

Like I said earlier, there were only ever a handful of games like Grimrock, and one of them had randomly generated dungeons as its schtick.

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
20. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 17:06 Orogogus

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 15:33:
This was my only real complaint about steam... I'm glad to see they resolved it.

Well, it would also be nice to have an option not to auto-pause all downloads every time you start a game. Not every game is super-sensitive to bandwidth dips.

7. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 13:05 Orogogus

There were only ever a handful of games in this genre. 3 EotB games, Dungeon Hack, Dungeon Master and Stonekeep. I think people were talking about recreating Wizardry, but those turn-based dungeon crawlers were never designed for dancing around in real-time combat. Like, Might and Magic would have giant 1-wide spiral corridors, which would utterly suck.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video
2. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 16:44 Orogogus

The article should say Heart of the Swarm, not Storm.  

930 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo