Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 903 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
43. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 3, 2012, 02:30 Orogogus

He didn't say screen size, he said viewing distance, and normally the closer you are the easier it is to see pixelation. The retina display iPhones are 960x640 and are meant to be viewed from at least 1 foot away.

In this case, the screens are so close to your eye that they're ought to be even smaller than an iPhone, so the pixel size might be reasonable. And they say the final version should be higher resolution than the development kits.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
63. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 12:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:25:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:56:
Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:49:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:44:
There are no cheap, easy wins in the drug industry.

Not sure why I'm the one you're arguing with, but sure there are. Anything incremental is a cheap, easy win.

It's all relative, is it not?

You posited that there were few incentives for drug companies to go after bigger, more difficult gains. In reality, those projects get looked at a lot because all drug development for the US is difficult whether it's for a cold symptom suppressant or the cure for cancer. The buy in cost is very, very high (although it is admittedly much higher for cases where the clinical trials will involve people dying). If you haven't seen many of the hard ones yet, it's because things that are hard take time.

And if they can make as much money on the easy ones they go for those. It's hard science, but the decision making isn't - if a company has two options in front of them, one that will take 100 million to get to market and one that will take 50 million, and the expected revenues for both are about the same, and the likelihood to get to market are about the same, which do they go after?

The situation is often more like that the buy in cost (clinical trials, FDA clearance, patent work) is enormous - say, $1 billion -- and then the remaining difference is relatively small - tens of millions. In such a situation companies look at the bottom line of how much money it can make because a lot of the cost is already set (or can't be anticipated, which is almost the same thing). And there's no longer really any low hanging fruit to be had, although some things, like cures for cancer, are known to be difficult.

60. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:49:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 11:44:
There are no cheap, easy wins in the drug industry.

Not sure why I'm the one you're arguing with, but sure there are. Anything incremental is a cheap, easy win.

It's all relative, is it not?

You posited that there were few incentives for drug companies to go after bigger, more difficult gains. In reality, those projects get looked at a lot because all drug development for the US is difficult whether it's for a cold symptom suppressant or the cure for cancer. The buy in cost is very, very high (although it is admittedly much higher for cases where the clinical trials will involve people dying). If you haven't seen many of the hard ones yet, it's because things that are hard take time.

58. Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 23, 2012, 11:44 Orogogus

There are no cheap, easy wins in the drug industry. Any new pharmaceutical requires a multi-phase clinical trial with hundreds or thousands of consented participants, takes about 10 years, and is usually built on the ashes of previous attempts that failed to prove efficacy. You can rest assured that plenty of money is being poured into going after big long term wins.

The pharmaceutical industry and the FDA cut a balance between rewarding the expensive development process and allowing generics to provide cheaper alternatives. The life of a drug patent is 20 years, which includes the ~10 years in clinical trials before it can go to market.

I think people underestimate how difficult and expensive it is to develop a drug and take it through clinical trials, or how easy it is to reverse engineer and manufacture it from the patent once it's been approved.

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: are you not entertained? Jul 20, 2012, 05:28 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 01:47:
All very true, but ask any Christian if they would be okay with homosexuals being legally allowed to enter into a "civil union", which ultimately is EXACTLY the same as marriage in a legal and practical sense and all but the most fanatical ones (who frankly make the vast majority of other Christians uncomfortable because of their inexplicable fervor) are just fine with it.** They may not approve of the behavior but they feel less threatened because their precious word "Marriage" is no longer "under attack", whatever the hell that means.

I haven't found that to be generally true. Legislation to grant marriage-like benefits to same-gender civil unions have been regularly opposed. Legislation to allow civil unions gets blocked when, as you point out, it would be the easiest way to protect the churches' precious marriage, much, much more cheaply than the current campaign. And on an individual basis people I know will spout the same bullshit arguments that the churches and GOP spew. Prop 8 here in California got a lot of people to form an opinion one way or the other.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Jul 13, 2012, 19:09 Orogogus

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 16:54:
They need to simply stop making these "Gratuitous" games and go with something else. They have a reputation for mediocrity that will be all but impossible to overcome. Wipe the slate and start over.

Isn't this only the second game with the Gratuitous moniker? I think there was only Space Battles and now this.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
22. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 16:45 Orogogus

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:34:
On another note: Why don't companies like EA, Activision, etc. all host their old games that no one in their right mind would pay money for as free downloads? It wouldn't cost them anything, it would be good PR and it would save people from having to trudge to various sites looking for old gems. Seems like there would only be winners in that scenario.

Depending on the era, some old games might need more tweaking than just bundling with a copy of DOSBOX. I'm not current on the state of compatibility issues, but I think early Win95 games still tend to be problematic. Or they might not be able to find the documentation, code wheels, etc. They might not be able to find the actual games, given the generally primitive backup technology of the time. Or they could be worried about dealing with support issues. There could be rights issues, maybe, if for whatever reason they aren't the sole property of the publisher.

And of course there's also the problem that EA and Activision wouldn't know good PR if it bit them on the ass.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
8. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 11:39 Orogogus

MacLeod wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:30:
Hmm... I'll have to dig through my old stuff and find my original Wasteland paragraphs supplement to play. It sucks trying to play the original with a text file for the paragraphs.

It kind of sucks playing it with the original book, too. It would be awesome if they could rejigger the game to put in the text.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 13:00 Orogogus

Ratty wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:23:
3 different computers between work and home, 1 with Windows XP, 2 with Windows 7. And not one of them has ever been able to play any Vimeo videos. Neither MSIE or Firefox. What's up with that?

I guess the anti-downloading thing is why people seem to be using it more.

I had a problem where videos wouldn't play if I had my screen rotated to portrait instead of landscape, and it took me forever to track it down since I would never rotate that particular monitor into the normal position. So maybe odd resolutions cause it to bug out?

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded
2. Re: World of Tanks Plans, Wargaming.net Rebranded Jul 3, 2012, 11:42 Orogogus

From what I've seen it's about as much of a sim as space "sims" like X-Wing, Freespace, etc. There's a lot of details like armor sloping and locations of internal components that you wouldn't usually see in a full-on arcade shooter. On the other hand, apparently you also see tanks bonking into each other, too.  

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves LucasArts
13. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves LucasArts Jun 30, 2012, 21:11 Orogogus

People also seem to think well of the Lego games, KotOR, Outlaws, the pod racing game, Full Throttle, and the Dig. People say good things about Rebellion, although I honestly don't understand why.

Grim Fandango was as good as or better than TIE Fighter, although obviously not directly comparable.

News Comments > SOE Live Tickets on Sale
2. Re: SOE Live Tickets on Sale Jun 29, 2012, 16:30 Orogogus

People here seemed excited about Planetside 2.

I don't know what to say about Everquest, though.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?
29. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 11:58 Orogogus

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:31:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 23:28:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 21:26:
Has Valve ever given a reason as to why they hate making a third title in a series or is that just a fallacy created by fans?
No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth.

Some people like that: by Gordon NOT talking it immerses you more into the story... that YOU'RE Gordon.

The imagination can cope with that a lot more than "your" voice-over speaking for you... often saying something you wouldn't even want to say. Or going into 3rd person to show "you" doing something or talking to someone.

Personally, I don't care either way. But to some people, doing it that way tells the story better than occasionally turning the game into an advanced "pop up book"

I just wish they wouldn't draw attention to the fact in-game. As soon as someone says "Strong, silent type, eh?" I just want to say "Mmmfff mmf mmrrf!!!"

News Comments > Endless Space Begins Next Month
2. Re: Endless Space Begins Next Month Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 Orogogus

Broadly speaking, it seems like whenever a space shooter does come out, people pooh-pooh it and say they'd rather have a new TIE Fighter, Wing Commander or Freespace game. And Freespace 2 was a legendary bomb.

There are a few going on at Kickstarter (http://spacesimcentral.com/?p=784), but it's hard to say that any space shooter is going to sell millions of copies and justify a colossal budget. The recent 4X games haven't necessarily been AAA titles, but people don't seem to settle for anything less in a space shooter.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Details
11. Re: Not quite Jun 26, 2012, 11:57 Orogogus

Supposedly the $120 tier sold a lot more than they expected, and more than the other tiers, so it seems to have worked.  

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: Revelations 2012 Jun 26, 2012, 11:53 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 23:16:
jimnms wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 22:36:
http://youtu.be/LzTo6XUiIA4

I'll have to watch that later when I have time, but the first two minutes or so had me laughing out loud...

If you haven't gone back yet, I wouldn't bother. It devolves pretty quickly into repeated variations of "Holy crap this game really sucks". The options screen at the very beginning is probably the high point.

16. Re: etc., etc. Jun 24, 2012, 17:14 Orogogus

Even rolling charts -- e.g., stock price charts -- usually put the low end of the x-axis on the left, and they usually label the axis, too. It's just that it seems like the charts were intentionally made to present the opposite conclusion.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 17:11 Orogogus

I remember about a year ago being extremely put off by the fact that the LibreOffice website couldn't be bothered to put up a short explanation of how it was better or even different from OpenOffice, other than to state that it was a fork in the development path or something. As a consumer I want to know which product suits my needs better, and I had no luck figuring it out.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:03 Orogogus

Chromius wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:52:
Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years

If that's the case, I think they missed a key part of the strategy, i.e., actually releasing it for the consoles they dumbed it down for.

14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2012, 20:09 Orogogus

Huh. Why are the charts that way?  

903 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo