Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 995 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
117. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 16:58 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:49:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:22:
Where is the internet petition brigade when you need them?

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:21:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:33:
I just don't believe all these sob stories about not being able to play the game with the online requirement.

Because everyone is online all the time, right Adam?

You're probably using up more bandwidth posting on blues news than you would playing Elite Dangerous solo mode.

It's not bandwidth. It's availability. I have a solid connection here at work (obviously), and can jump on Blues 5m here and there to read up on stuff and post, but I can't play E:D at work can I? Then when I go home to my intermittent connection, or I'm on the road staying at a hotel with little or no connectivity, and I can't play, I'm screwed.

I think the more likely issue, that's bitten everyone who does this crap, is that their servers break or their Internet connection goes down, and then no one gets to play.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:32 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:49:
No, you paid for a pine chicken coop, and that's what's said in the contract. You can sue for breach of warranty and will win in any US courtroom.

I know you said you're no lawyer, but have you taken this stuff to court before? I feel very strongly that Beamer is right on this point. Unless there's solid evidence that the hypothetical supplier used oak to cut costs in full knowledge of very real risks to the buyer, something like that will hardly ever win. That's simply not what happens in a courtroom.

45. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 13:27 Orogogus

BobBob wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:50:
When did the trend toward people paying for alpha and beta versions begin? I recall the days when developers were begging to find people willing to be testers, later to provide a free or discounted copy of the full version.

I don't know if that's a real question or rhetorical, but I think Mount and Blade and Minecraft were the first ones I was aware of that made it big.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
87. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 12:52 Orogogus

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 11:35:
I am pretty sure that is why both Sony and Microsoft are pushing digital game delivery vs physical media.

I'm sure that's a huge reason, but manufacturing and shipping physical goods is a pretty big pile of suck if you have an alternative. You have to deal with manufacturing lines, forecasting for manufacturing, raw and intermediate materials, packaging, warehousing, multiple layers of distribution, pickup and delivery schedules, shipping across state lines and through international customs, unsold goods, theft and replacement of lost goods, physically returned goods, and so on.

Even if it had no effect on piracy, even if it cut sales by fivefold, I'd switch from physical goods to digital-only in a heartbeat. Given that publishers haven't jumped ship yet, I'd speculate that the actual potential lost sales is still more like a hundredfold or more at this point.

82. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 06:21:
Dude. Are you serious? You cant take ONE game and a fairly recent one at that as proof of anything. Go to the VERY SAME SITE and type in any number of console EXCLUSIVE games in the search box...

What the goddamned hell? You're the one who said you think PC and 360+PS3 piracy is about equal. Pick any multiplatform game and I'll show you the numbers; they'll just skew even more for older games. If you want to look at exclusives, small PC-only titles typically have more seeds than the big console exclusives. A hidden object game, Haunted Legends 5, is murdering, say, the Last of Us and Forza Horizon 2.

I'm not unreasonable. If you can think of a reasonable comparison I'll look at it. But what you came up with is, "Look, there are console exclusives on there!" Uh, wow. By anything a normal person would consider reasonable, you can see there's a lot more PC piracy going on.

75. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 03:03 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 02:44:
This is probably true for the new generation of consoles (since they are brand new and there is little content for them so far) but there is no firm data on this one way or the other. I think when you compare Xbox360 and the PS3 (as one category) to the PC the numbers would be about even.

I don't think it's even close. If you go to Pirate Bay or kickass.to or wherever and look at the number of torrents, seeders and leechers you can at least get an idea. Put in "Far Cry 4", sort by seeds; the entire first page is PC torrents. The top torrent has about 5500 seeds while the first 360 torrent has 101 and the first PS3 torrent has 57, keeping in mind that there are many more PC torrents than 360 and PS3 combined. Eyeballing it, it looks like about 20,000:200 (360+PS3) seeds.

Of course the actual numbers aren't going to be exactly that proportion, but unless you're in a complete state of denial you can at least see which way the wind's blowing. You'd have to stretch pretty far to try to claim the real ratio is 1:1.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
22. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 21:29 Orogogus

Kevin Lowe wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 20:35:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 19:41:
The Xbox was originally supposed to be simply a minimized PC with Windows running on it. It turned out not to be cost-effective doing it that way, plus it would be hard to create a walled garden on a device that's simply a scaled back desktop. Imagine where we'd be today had consoles not gotten in the way of actual progress in the name of profit.
We'd have lower-end PCs getting in the way of actual progress instead?
Or a plain old lack of money, because that's what profit is good for. But it's possible that if FPSes and RTSes and MMORPGs and racing games and JRPGs and so on never stole the spotlight then modern text adventures would totally kick ass.

More realistically, as you said a gaming PC in every household was never a possibility. More likely there'd be more room in the smartphone market for higher quality games that weren't complete freemium hell, and the gaming tablet field would be stronger than it is.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
16. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 17:45 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:18:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:06:
I don't think MS will allow their prized IP's to migrate from xbone to PC.

The vast majority of sales happen within the first month or two. Delay it until after that, and you can both use it as bait to sell Xbones, and make money from people like me who won't ever own an Xbone. Not doing so is leaving money on the table.

A month or two is probably short enough that all but the most impatient people will be able to delay gratification if they know there's a PC version on the way. I could see a year delay looking more reasonable on their end, maybe as low as 6 months. The 6 year delay for Valkyria Chronicles is kind of excessive, although obviously it wasn't intended as such.

But MS has let a bunch of their games leak over to PC before. Alan Wake, the first two Halo games, two of the Fable games, and the first Gears of War and Viva Pinata games. As far as I can tell from posters here, it mostly just adds to the perception of the Xbox platform lacking exclusives. Whether the short term gains are greater than their long term lost sales is for the bean counters and marketers to hash out.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 10:57 Orogogus

ldonyo wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 10:27:
I happen to agree with Ars on this. Locked content and DLC is why I just wait for the everything edition of games to come out anymore. Except for The Witcher. I have great faith in CD Projekt RED and they give away additional content, so there's no reason to wait on a Witcher game.

Did you read the article? It never mentions DLC. It's about game design, and whether every game should have cheat codes to let you bypass any progression gating (as well as locking game modes and such behind unrelated achievements).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity
34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 16:18 Orogogus

Bundy wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 16:11:
Task wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 16:05:
The review from Conan on COCO was hilarious. I wonder why they couldn't hire french voice acters (that know english) for the game for authentic accents. I can understand native French that speak English just fine. Probably too much to ask I guess, considering most ancient docudramas have english actors for some reason.

For sure, plus, Ubisoft is a French company, you'd figure they'd take extra care here. I know it was developed by studios all over the place, but the marching orders come from France, do they not?

I think someone on this board mentioned how they purposely tone down accents in cases like this -- I think it was Ubisoft in particular. Like some voice actor or the other would use a much more American voice than his normal speaking voice, since people had trouble understanding and switched to subtitles (skipping all the spoken text). I'm sure this is something that's been thoroughly focus tested.

It's kind of funny, though. Back when Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries came out some BattleTech fans got pretty huffy when some of the characters spoke English with a Slavic accent. Star League English is spoken with an American or maybe British accent, I was told with no irony whatsoever. Just like in the movies!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2014, 15:11 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 11:21:
At least the PS4 lets you replace the hard drive with one of your choice. You can throw a 2TB in there right now if you want. I haven't tried it personally I remember people saying the Xbox One will ban your console if you swap drives.

I'm pretty sure one of the OS updates finally allows people to plug in an external drive instead of buying an Official Xbox Storage Product at horrific markup.

Yeah, here's an article:
Eurogamer

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
32. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 17:02 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 16:15:
I don't know if a graphical real time version of nethack was particularly original or not. Shifting the focus to lootfest was probably the most original aspect of Diablo.

Diablo is a lot more like the Moria/Angband branch of Roguelikes, which are total lootfests, but adding a real time engine, graphics, sound and networked multiplayer is a whole lot more than what I'd call "polish." It certainly spawned a ton of clones that no one's going to mix up with Hack.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 5, 2014, 21:32 Orogogus

PropheT wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 21:12:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 20:26:
Why not for gaming? My plasma looks great for games, though admittedly I've only played Decrepit Gen consoles on it...

I've got a Panasonic plasma in my living room, and it looks and plays great. Despite the concerns about burn in I've never really had a problem in the years I've had it even with some heavy gaming sessions sporting static UI elements.

For blu-rays it's still the best TV I've seen picture quality-wise.

I have a Panasonic, too, and while burn-in is a non-issue, it really doesn't work well in sunlight.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
77. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 5, 2014, 13:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 13:17:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 12:56:
What would the difference be if games were marketed at the 30+ year old demographic? Offhand I thought the Transformers War for Cybertron games were aimed at that audience, as they were pretty heavy on G1 fan service, which only really appeals to people who grew up with the original cartoon.

They'd treat the subject matter more maturely; they'd stop posing the game's female characters in bikinis and tanktops with their ass up in the air in advertisements, they'd make serious commercials about them rather than the "PEW PEW PEW LOOKIT ALL THE PEW!!!!" or the "THIS IS THE NEW SHIT!" crap that we get; they'd not drown 95% of the commercials in trap/dubstep, etc etc etc.

Sometimes my wife and I will be watching some TV and an advertisement for a game I'm currently playing will come on, and 9 out of 10 times it makes me embarrassed that I like the game so much, just because of how fucking juvenile the advertisement is.

I guess it's maybe to be expected, since there never seem to be people in marketing over the age of 24. (or the mentality of 14.)

I was going to say, that's how they sell cars and beer, too, which definitely aren't aimed at a 14 year old demographic. And tons of other stuff.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
73. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 5, 2014, 12:56 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 11:10:
Well, everything except the game industry. Because despite clear data that the large majority of gamers are above the age of thirty, and almost half of them are women, every single moron publisher still markets their games to 14 year old boys.

What would the difference be if games were marketed at the 30+ year old demographic? Offhand I thought the Transformers War for Cybertron games were aimed at that audience, as they were pretty heavy on G1 fan service, which only really appeals to people who grew up with the original cartoon.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
35. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 4, 2014, 13:50 Orogogus

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 13:45:
btallas wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 17:47:
Out of curiosity, why don't you hate sony for not porting to PC?

Because it's not Sony Windows. It's one thing not to support a competitors platform. But ignoring your own to ram a console that apparently can't survive on its merits down your customers throats is bullshit

Exclusives are the merits, though. You pretty much said so yourself. No one else in the US really has what it takes to get a console going, so the long and short of this view is that America shouldn't make consoles. Japanese companies get a free pass because they've hated PCs forever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 3, 2014, 20:22 Orogogus

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 17:59:
I think this is because most Sony exclusives are third person action games, which play fine on PC but is not a traditional genre there (and only play fine because of controller support).

That doesn't sound too plausible. I think the MS side of things is pretty heavy on third person shooters, for the same reasons. I can only think of one significant MS FPS franchise (starts with H, ends with alo), which is pretty much comparable to 2 for Sony (Resistance and Killzone). Everything else tends to be multiplatform, and usually on the PC as well.

And really, a fair chunk of the notable early third person action games were on the PC, if not PC exclusive. Tomb Raider and Max Payne. Heavy Metal, Heretic 2, Alone in the Dark. The lightsaber parts of Jedi Knight.

I also can't imagine people caring a whole lot about internal vs. external development. I'd imagine it's more that people feel MS could be putting resources towards PC games, and, well, good old fanboyism. His platform is, in so many words, "I won't buy Microsoft because they have fewer exclusives, and also I hate it when they get exclusives." So that's kind of no-win.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 15:35 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 13:03:
theglaze wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 03:13:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 23:47:
but simple things like glancing at the keyboard is awkward

For racing simulators, there were some mod ideas floating around in the community for digitally inserting a keyboard into the virtual car cockpit and placing it in the same location/angle as it is in your physical seating position. The idea being you can hit a button on the steering wheel and the digital keyboard will pop up on the hud, allowing you to natural reach out and type. There's some obvious shortcomings to all this, but it's a good starting point.

I'd rather mount a selfie-quality cell phone cam angled downward into the headset and with a button press the bottom third of your view changes to a real-world camera view. Breaks immersion a little but is way better than trying to orientate a keyboard so that it matches up to your VR perspective.

Would you have to orient the keyboard? I'd think you'd want it to match your keyboard in the real world so that you can reach out and type on it. That being the case, most keyboards have a lot of recognizable symbols and shapes so scanning that and projecting a virtual keyboard might be pretty feasible. Might look bad if it's clipping through stuff, I guess.

News Comments > Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin
13. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 12:26 Orogogus

noman wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 12:11:
Nothing exclusive about Origin. They sell other publisher's games too. It's Steam which has an exclusion policy where if you buy a game from them, all the DLCs should be purchased from them as well, where Origin is its own DRM platform and can manage the games and DLCs outside of Steam on its own.

He would mean publisher exclusive, as in you can't buy their games on Steam. Same as Valve's games, but if you look at, say, CD Projekt you can buy the Witcher 3 on Steam and not just on GOG.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
86. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 29, 2014, 01:46 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 17:52:
Is XWing Alliance officially abandonware, since you can't buy it anywhere? Is it illegal to DL a CD image?

There's no such thing as officially abandonware. Yes, it's illegal. The applicable question is whether anyone is going to give you trouble over it, which is up to whoever has the rights.

I suppose in theory the copyright will expire and then it might enter the public domain, but probably not in our lifetimes.

995 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo