Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 955 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2014, 19:41 Orogogus

Fantaz wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 17:50:
wasn't Square Enix pissed earlier about Tomb Raider's sales numbers not meeting expectations in the millions? how's this supposed to be a win in terms of sales to go with the losing player?

People keep saying this, but I don't get why. If someone offers you money for an exclusive, you wouldn't hand over your biggest blockbuster, would you? The best thing would be to use something that wasn't selling a bunch anyways. And if you're able to scale back expectations and development costs accordingly, so much the better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 9, 2014, 00:16 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:20:
I'll be very interested to see the ad this Sunday, so I know which 900 authors to avoid in the future. Fuck you and your attempts at price fixing. Fuck you right up your fucking ass with a rusty pipe.

I think the online version of the letter's already linked in the article, with all the signatories: http://www.authorsunited.net/

News Comments > SSI Vets form TSI
10. Re: SSI Vets form TSI Aug 8, 2014, 17:31 Orogogus

It's kind of weird that everyone is focusing on the Gold Box games. I feel like the first game, Pool of Radiance, was in many ways the high point of that series, especially in terms of scope and doing different things. After they became the Gold Box company the games just got more and more samey. SSI was more interesting to me when they had a dozen wildly different RPG engines going on.

Wizard's Crown was definitely one of those. It had an amazingly complex combat system.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2014, 17:49.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 13:10 Orogogus

I got that from:

"If that's the case, then this suit would be to establish that she is the rightful owner of the IP, which would be needed to go after Rovio."

You and 1badmf are the only people who seem to think that Rovio got their designs from Hartz. I think she couldn't possibly go after Rovio because she's got nothing more than a red cartoon bird, whereas you seem to think she has a design with multiple, incontrovertible but inexplicably indescribable similarities to Rovio's bird. I keep asking and asking...

31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 12:14 Orogogus

I think it's absurd that you think this lady can win a separate case against Rovio based on "general similarities." That she should file a case based on nothing more than, "Just look at them, geeze!"

What I know about Family Guy comes from YouTube clips, but if I were to make a case for Peter Griffin ripping off Homer Simpson, I would point to specifics like both being overweight, foolish, everyman characters, living in suburbs with dysfunctional nuclear families. And then I would expect it to get shot down since the suburbs and nuclear families are dysfunctional relationships are hardly unique, and the characters themselves owe a lot to prior creations like Fred Flintstone or George Jetson.

Plus the whole thing about them both being Fox cartoons.

What you have are red cartoony birds with hardly any similar features that aren't common to birds in general.

29. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 02:06 Orogogus

I think you're wrong. Also, you don't seem to be able to describe any similarities other than "it's obvious, duh." Despite the fact that one's a cardinal and the other's a hummingbird. You handwave away a ton of differences by saying, oh, that was to make it fit the game, but you don't have any actual similarities. I keep asking and asking, and nothing.

Does every single cartoon and comic cat ever made look the same to you? Like, you see Sylvester, Garfield and Bill the Cat, and it's immediately obvious to you that they were all copied from some prototypical cartoon cat, and that there's no way people could independently come up with whiskers and cat ears?

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 18:57 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 17:59:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 17:33:
The shapes are completely different. Rovio's is a ball for throwing, and the other is thinner and elongated

This explains most of the points you make, Rovio adapted the design to fit their game. Take the first toy, adapt it to fit the theme of a catapult game, and bar a few minor cosmetic changes you've got the second toy.

I get the feeling that anything red and bird-themed would fit your definition. Like, for some reason you think cartoon birds are really, really difficult to come up with.

They're not even the same kind of bird.

What are the points of similarity to you other than red theme, white eyes, yellow beak? I think you need more than that to seriously claim that one was derived from the other, and I seriously don't see anything else. Red feathers and a yellow beak are basic bird features, and white eyes are a fundamental cartoonism. You've got something else, right?

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 17:33 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 16:38:
I don't know what else to say, I see resemblances in the designs on the page of the PDF that I linked to (*cough*proving I did at least skim it*cough*).

Like what besides the red color and white eyes? I guess the beak is yellow.

- The shapes are completely different. Rovio's is a ball for throwing, and the other is thinner and elongated
- Rovio's doesn't have any wings
- Rovio's has a stubby beak instead of a long proboscis
- The lady's design has legs, and Rovio's doesn't. Also sneakers.
- Rovio's has a small crest -- I think it's supposed to be a cardinal -- whereas the lady's doesn't, because it's a hummingbird
- Rovio's has eyebrows
- Rovio's has a secondary chest coloration
- Rovio's has a little bush tail whereas the other has the tail built out

Is it that they don't have red birds in your part of the world? Otherwise I just have no idea where you're coming from.

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2014, 19:47 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 01:23:
it's pretty clear the game is based on her designs with some modifications

What makes you say that? I mentioned it before, but I don't think her design really looks anything like the video game birds. They're both red and they have big white eyes. She claims Hartz used her font, but they don't look similar at all. What else are you and Quboid seeing?

11. Re: Angry Birds Aug 5, 2014, 17:12 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 16:44:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 15:19:
I feel like I'm looking at something different from everyone else. I mean, they're both red, and they have big eyes, and... that's it? The wings, tail, shape of beak, legs or lack thereof, secondary coloration all look dissimilar to me. Is there, like, a whole set of these things in the same color schemes as the other birds?

It's not the precise toy that's a copy, it's the IP - it's the same concept and the same name.

As far as I can tell, it's merchandising rights to the name with regards to pet toys. She doesn't seem to claim that the video game has anything to do with her pet toy designs. She does say that the packaging was ripped off from her design, including the font, which I don't really see.

8. Re: Angry Birds Aug 5, 2014, 15:19 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 14:56:
The comparison on page 13 is the most blatant. There's just no way that happened independently even if Hartz didn't have their fingers in both.

I feel like I'm looking at something different from everyone else. I mean, they're both red, and they have big eyes, and... that's it? The wings, tail, shape of beak, legs or lack thereof, secondary coloration all look dissimilar to me. Is there, like, a whole set of these things in the same color schemes as the other birds?

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jul 30, 2014, 12:58 Orogogus

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 12:01:
Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 11:39:
As a thanks for giving us updates like these for free, I bought some paint job DLCs.

It's hilarious that we see things like this as an above-and-beyond bonus nowadays, when it used to be that free updates to games for several months after release were just expected and the norm.

Rose-tinted glasses. Free content has never been the norm. Generally speaking, the vast majority of games just got a few patches and that was it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2014, 23:45 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 16:35:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 19:07:
From what I recall, the original main developer bowed out because his wife was diagnosed with cancer and his life went to pieces. The guy now in charge was originally brought in to get the game to a releasable state, and he felt that at this point a code rewrite/sequel would be the best option (which is what he wanted the KS for).

I never heard anything about his wife getting cancer, just that he hired a guy to take over development of the game for a percentage of the profits. The developer, after realizing that his cut wasn't enough to live on while working on the game full time, called it quits and recommended either open sourcing the game or a complete rewrite.

I also don't remember Towns being on Kickstarter. I remember it causing a shit storm when it got on Steam because it was still in beta. This was before Steam had an Early Access program.

I got Towns in a bundle a long time ago. Back then it was on Desura, but they later gave everyone a Steam key. I played a little bit of it back then. It seemed like a neat idea, but was very buggy. I haven't played it since then either.

This is the original cancer post. His life going to pieces and hiring the third guy (Moebius, I think) came after that:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221020/discussions/0/864956554708516116/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2014, 19:07 Orogogus

mag wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 16:09:
nin wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 15:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 14:47:
Image: To me, this is all 'Early Access' is.

Towns shut down development. Took 2Million+ and quit. Dick move. I can see DayZ doing this.

Huh, someone there refers to Garry (of Garry's mod) as "kind of an asshole. Really rude to his fans sometimes." Wasn't aware of that, and while I don't follow it or anything, I've never heard anyone bitch about him.

edit: And was Towns the one where he pulled the plug, but then said he might do another KS for a sequel (which in turn pissed a lot of people off, understandably)? I did a search here but can't find it...

Some comments said that this was true, but others said that he just did a complete tear-down of the engine and was rebuilding it to be more capable and hadn't quit.

From what I recall, the original main developer bowed out because his wife was diagnosed with cancer and his life went to pieces. The guy now in charge was originally brought in to get the game to a releasable state, and he felt that at this point a code rewrite/sequel would be the best option (which is what he wanted the KS for).

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 15:45 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 15:33:
The logic is sound. Look at the Olympics. Who are the countries that always dominate? The ones with the largest populations coupled with large and expensive programs. Russia, China, America all have programs that start training from childhood.

Olympics = summer games only, eh?

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 14:24 Orogogus

Brataccas wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:54:
I don't think a whole lot of people played that game.

It's too bad the poor controls doomed it to obscurity, it was a unique game considering the time period.

I remember the Lechmere stores in New Hampshire used to have it running all the time on their demo computers.

News Comments > Steam Hits 8M Concurrent Users
11. Re: Steam Hits 8M Concurrent Users Jul 1, 2014, 19:17 Orogogus

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 18:33:
Sempai wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 14:45:
And still the worst customer service in the industry..

You apparently have never dealt with ANYONE ELSE in the "industry" for CS.....

Eh. Valve's CS is notoriously poor. My personal experience is that when I had a problem with my account it took about 3 weeks for them to send a message with some generic and unhelpful troubleshooting tips. It wasn't great. For the longest time their error message when they were having server problems was a message suggesting that it's your connection that's borked, and that you should check your network settings, but they finally fixed that a few months ago.

GOG is supposed to have good CS, very fast and eager to solve people's problems. EA's is actually supposed to be reasonable, with an online chat service that apparently often hands out free games for people's trouble.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 18:54 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:12:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:38:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:39:
4 ways Cracked's whining is really just a quite blatant shill.

It should be "4 ways the old white guys people in charge of networks are killing themselves by refusing to adapt and overcome."

Seriously.

Edited because Bonnie Hammer single-handedly ruined Sci-Fi.

I was going to say something similar. If the viewing habits of the target audience are changing it is on the content provider to adapt.

It is, but like Beamer says, people who are happy with the current content might not be happy with the end result. Like the PC with all the free to play and MOBA games, which are apparently driving the growth in PC entertainment sales, or multiplayer-only titles. Or video games in general with consoles. Game companies have adapted pretty heavily, but there's a vocal part of the audience that insists that the companies are wrong and what's profitable should be the same now as it was in 1998 or whatever.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 12:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:27:
If you say "The Netherlands", nobody knows what the hell you're talking about in the US.

Spoiler: They wouldn't know where Holland is, either. The Netherlands was what we were taught when I went to grade school in the '80s. But we don't see it much in the news so it's natural that people aren't very aware of the geography.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2014, 18:54 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 18:39:
Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 15:48:
Everybody chant with me now!

Holland! *CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Dramatic end. Did Robben flop?

I'm surprised you say Holland, not Netherlands. Are you from Holland (as in, the 2 northern counties) or is it usual for the Dutch, when speaking in England, to call the Netherlands Holland?

My understanding is that the football team, specifically, is often referred to as Holland, and no one gets picky about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

"Referring to the Netherlands as Holland is technically incorrect[18][19] or informal,[20] depending on the context, but is more acceptable when referring to the national football team.[21]"

955 Comments. 48 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo