Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1244 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
88. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:30 Orogogus

Task wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:07:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 13:08:
Task wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 13:03:
I've read people admitting to spending 10k plus on so called "free"2play games, like those garbage mobile games. In MWO for example I'm pretty sure I read some fool spent at least 20k.

That hardly seems noteworthy in a Star Citizen thread. There are packages right on their order page for $10K and $15K, and it's a safe bet that they've already sold a few.

Plenty of noteworthiness for an SC thread. Those are pledges, an extended KS. What I'm telling you is some people spend more than 900 on free2play games that are barely games they don't actually own and are equivalent drug peddling machines.

If you don't think it's the same thing at all, then how is it relevant?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
58. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 13:08 Orogogus

Task wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 13:03:
I've read people admitting to spending 10k plus on so called "free"2play games, like those garbage mobile games. In MWO for example I'm pretty sure I read some fool spent at least 20k.

That hardly seems noteworthy in a Star Citizen thread. There are packages right on their order page for $10K and $15K, and it's a safe bet that they've already sold a few.

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8
18. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 23, 2015, 13:51 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 13:14:
Which is great.

But what I meant was that if you don't have the Origin version, and instead have the retail version, you have to jump through hoops to get your legally purchased game to run.

Seems like bad form to me.

I believe you can use the retail version's CD key to activate a copy on Origin (here: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do).

And in any case the hoops you have to jump through seem extremely easy, especially compared to something like rolling back a video driver.

News Comments > System Shock Enhanced Edition on GOG.com
7. Re: System Shock Enhanced Edition on GOG.com Sep 22, 2015, 12:20 Orogogus

Task wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 11:33:
Niiiice. The GOG delivers yet again.

Any day now I'm hoping to see the GOG, Lord and Savior, announce MW2,3,4 Enhanced. Make it so!

Night Dive deserves a ton of credit here, I think. I'm surprised they were able to put mouselook in, that's pretty awesome. One of my all-time favorite games, and in my opinion superior to the sequel.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Dogmeat Trailers
24. Re: Fallout 4 Dogmeat Trailers Sep 22, 2015, 12:15 Orogogus

Task wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 10:44:
Now games like FO1/2 (Dogmeat/K9), Wasteland (your party, others like Vox), Baldur's Gate (your party), XCOM (anyone), they can definitely die. Its part of the strategic-roleplay element. Save-scumming saved them (or revive items, or temples-money-revives if you had em), but with different play styles its very different and far more difficult, especially the emotional attachment. I've had two dogs in real-life that passed away, so I know how it goes - they don't live forever. I would expect a virtual dog, cat, killer rabbit, or whatever to be totally able to die as much as my character can.

I didn't find FO1 Dogmeat to be a rewarding experience in trapped bases. It's like, come on. Train the dog to heel, give me a leash, or just let me leave him outside. It's just not good design.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Gameplay Footage
11. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Gameplay Footage Sep 18, 2015, 12:46 Orogogus

Yeah. It's like, if you had an Operation Desert Storm game, you wouldn't expect to see 40 US Marines all lined up in a block or a gun line. It wouldn't make any more sense for Space Marines or Tyranids. In a game with landspeeders and grav tanks you'd want an engine that moves a lot quicker than the Total War games.

And even aside from gun lines... diplomacy seems out of place in a 40K game. The whole politics, government, espionage, taxation, trade and religion components would make no sense. Basically everything that isn't moving armies around, and I guess assassins. It's wildly uncanonical to be recruiting and training Marines on-planet over the course of a campaign. I think you'd have to scrap 90% of the turn-based game, and then why are you making a Total War game at all?

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Gameplay Footage
5. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Gameplay Footage Sep 18, 2015, 02:33 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 20:39:
Can I have a Total War: Warhammer 40k instead?

What do people want out of a 40K Total War game, instead of, say, another Dawn of War? How does the game play, in your head? Like, a hundred Marines all lined up in formation like the Dwarves in this video, as if they were an infantry block?

News Comments > Master of Orion Video Diary
9. Re: Master of Orion Video Diary Sep 10, 2015, 16:29 Orogogus

KS wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 16:05:
I loved the star crawl and the tech trees and outfitting new ship designs. Does Master of Orion even offer that? I bought the original and was unable to find it in there, so diplomacy-oriented that it was.

Are you thinking of the right game? There's not that much diplomacy in the original Master of Orion, and you have to start outfitting new ships within probably 10 or 15 minutes of play. You'll see the tech tree within 5, and star crawling is the first thing you do.

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
9. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 9, 2015, 21:46 Orogogus

WaltC wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 21:01:
The net profit of $62M comes only after they've subtracted 100% of their development costs ($82M) and other expenses

I didn't watch the clip since it wasn't in English, but if Gamespot's summary is accurate then this isn't correct. The net profit of $62.5M is from the most recent financial period (a year, it looks like), whereas the $81M development and marketing costs were spread over 3.5 years. $62.5M was their profit from all sources, of which the Witcher 3 was the majority, and would probably only be counted against the portion of costs incurred in this financial period (as well as any costs going towards projects still being worked on).

In theory it would be possible that it hasn't paid off the $81M cost yet, if previous years were lean or in the red. From the screenshot of the YouTube you can see that their profit last year was about $1.3M. Since it's not a gigantic loss, and since we know they're already spending money on their cyberpunk game, I assume they are in fact in profit territory, but from the summary there's not enough data to know for sure.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 21:53 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 21:02:
Julio wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 13:50:
The concept behind hit to kill isn't that different in the Western world. Those with money never facing real punishment is a common theme everywhere.

Except the people committing these crimes aren't all rich. I doubt most of the perps would have enough money to bribe the prosecutors. It may be a matter of practicality. Declaring something an accident is a lot cleaner and cheaper than declaring it a homicide.

It sounds like most of them are rich. Two of the cases mention BMWs (one of which was an unlicensed driver). One was the "enormous dirt covered truck" -- could be a case of fighting a company, or the government. The one the crowd beat to death was a wealthy driver. 3 cases don't mention the legal outcome. And on the flip side you have one execution and one 15 year prison sentence.

Also, I think the idea of homicide being more work than an accident gives too much credit to the integrity of due process in China.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 31, 2015, 16:02 Orogogus

nin wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:39:
IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 14:26:
Because there's nothing like using a wireless device with 300-500 MS lag to call an ultimate experience!

Source?

First Google search suggests that input lag attributable to wireless controllers is in single digit milliseconds, while actual processing on the CPU/GPU results in ~100ms latency, and 10-68ms from the display.

300-500 ms is pretty absurd. Wireless controllers would never have become popular, much less the standard, if there were really 1/3 of a second delay on every action. Supposedly the cutoff for noticeability is around 166 ms, and at 200 ms it becomes jarring.

News Comments > Master of Orion Collector's Edition
4. Re: Master of Orion Collector's Edition Aug 28, 2015, 18:32 Orogogus

If you click the link, it's clear that yes, it includes the new game (including early access, and an extra race).

It doesn't seem like they're actually taking pre-orders yet, though, and there doesn't seem to be any indication of the prices.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet
7. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet Aug 16, 2015, 10:36 Orogogus

Man, I could just not get into Uplink. So much clicking and no keyboard shortcuts for anything. If this game really has command prompts instead of a mouse based interface I'm a lot more interested.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details Aug 13, 2015, 16:46 Orogogus

DangerDog wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 16:25:
It looks and sounds amazing but it seems to be aimed at fourteen year old kids with ADD, everything is 10 minute round based.

People always bring up this trope, but 14 year old kids have all the time in the world. It's the 30 year old crowd who has to schedule around children's schedules, or whose spouses won't let them play for longer than 30 minutes, who get all salty about time-grindy things like not being able to save anywhere or respec.

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details Aug 13, 2015, 16:42 Orogogus

Siygess wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 16:23:
Right, but that was just the aforementioned multiplayer maps fulled with bots, strung together with a bit of narration between maps. I don't recall any maps that were unique to 'single player' nor any scripted sequences or overall effort to tailor the gameplay and make it feel as though you were doing anything more than capturing control points.

I still played the heck out of it though

It had all kinds of objectives that weren't part of the normal Conquest control point gameplay. I don't think there were any unique maps, but eh.

GameFAQs link

7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details Aug 13, 2015, 15:35 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 14:28:
Battlefront 2 didn't have a campaign. It did have bots for every single mode so you could play offline alone, coop vs. bots, or full multiplayer without bots.

Battlefront 2 totally had a campaign, the whole Rise of the Empire thing that had you play as the 501st Stormtrooper Legion.

News Comments > The International Results
17. Re: The International Results Aug 9, 2015, 20:40 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 18:45:
There's nothing this site hates more than seeing nerds who aren't them making money. Any time someone gets a pay day, you see comments in here about how they don't deserve it. Pro gamers, Notch, The Oculus Rift dude, etc.

You say "this site", but all of those topics (pro gamers, Minecraft, VR, people making money) are Cutter's personal crusades.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
74. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2015, 16:06 Orogogus

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:06:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:26:
You know that Aussies haven't had any mass shootings since 1996 due to massive gun regulations.

I'm sure there are other examples of other countries doing things that actually work to control the issues you listed.

And that's totally not true. Australia has had mass shootings since, and they have a huge problem with armed gangs in the cities. In a country with no legal guns, there sure are a buttload of guns. In fact, just like Mexico, they like to blame the US for that.

How many mass shootings? I think the number is two, one of them a case of a father shooting his wife and kids in 2014, and the other in 2002. Can you cite others?

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
34. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 19:40 Orogogus

harlock wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 16:59:
Zor wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:59:
Infocom Presents... The Crescent Hawks REVENGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDL9iZop5LY

this was a great game. i loved this game

btw you can exploit the stock market by investing in the sure thing, then taping down the arrow key on the keyboard so it advances a turn regularly

That would be Crescent Hawk's Inception, not Revenge.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
33. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 19:38 Orogogus

Battle for Jacob's Star is slightly more modern!  

1244 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo