Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 903 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
37. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 19:23 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 18:49:
Galciv II still has the best AI I've ever seen in a strategic game. And as far as I know, it doesn't cheat. Playing that on the top 2 difficulty levels is basically asking to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

Galciv II AIs do cheat starting a little past the middle setting (i.e., past "Intelligent").

http://www.stardock.com/screenshots/cheatquery/
- Developer notes that high level AIs get extra money and at the highest level mostly ignore fog of war

http://galciv.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_level
- Wikia notes that game difficulties post-1.5 give up to 400% economy/production/research bonuses, as well as miniaturization and sensors

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2012, 15:54 Orogogus

It's censorship. What if I want to find information about the court case about the guy in Australia who was incorrectly linked to organized crime? Down the memory hole it goes, oh well. What about countries where the legal authorities are themselves appalling?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2012, 14:20 Orogogus

I thought people here were generally angry and indignant when the torrent sites get hit.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
103. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 22:08 Orogogus

Bhruic wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 21:42:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 21:28:
Bhruic wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 20:43:
You very likely can find stats that'll demonstrate that GTAIV sold 15 times as many units on XBox/PS3 as the PC. But what those stats also reflect is the 8 month wait time. You can check out games that have simultaneous releases and find that even when the PC comes in 3rd (and it sometimes doesn't), it's usually a close 3rd. There's no reason to suspect that the PC couldn't do equally well with the GTA franchise were it to have a simultaneous release.

I can't think of when that's been the case. 15 times would be an exaggeration, but I want to say it's usually about a 55%/25%/20% split between 360/PS3/PC.

Are you sure this was aimed at me? Because you start off with saying you can't think of when that's been the case, and then list a bunch of examples where what I said is the case.

Well, it's a close 3rd with the understanding that there's a large gap between 1st and 2nd.

Those generally don't include PC digital downloads (so everyone's going to immediately say "meaningless"), but it might at least be a bad idea to write off the 80% of retail sales represented by the 2 consoles if you're going to make a hugely expensive game.

Not to mention the above making no sense at all. No one has suggested they release is on PC and don't release it on XBox/PS3. Just that they release on all 3 at the same time.

Sempai, who Madguy was responding to, implied that they shouldn't release it on consoles ("...instead you put it on 7yr old hardware that looks like shit."), which led to the sales comparisons.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
101. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 21:28 Orogogus

Bhruic wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 20:43:
Madguy wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 20:04:
This is probably going to be one of the most expensive games ever made, if not THE most expensive. Since they'll likely sell 15 times as many units on the Xbox/PS3 as they would the PC, those consoles need to be their target platform. That's where the resources need to go.

You very likely can find stats that'll demonstrate that GTAIV sold 15 times as many units on XBox/PS3 as the PC. But what those stats also reflect is the 8 month wait time. You can check out games that have simultaneous releases and find that even when the PC comes in 3rd (and it sometimes doesn't), it's usually a close 3rd. There's no reason to suspect that the PC couldn't do equally well with the GTA franchise were it to have a simultaneous release.

I can't think of when that's been the case. 15 times would be an exaggeration, but I want to say it's usually about a 55%/25%/20% split between 360/PS3/PC.

Crysis 2

Dragon Age 2

Duke Nukem Forever

Those generally don't include PC digital downloads (so everyone's going to immediately say "meaningless"), but it might at least be a bad idea to write off the 80% of retail sales represented by the 2 consoles if you're going to make a hugely expensive game.

Activision-Blizzard does describe their relative revenue in their 2011 annual report, which put WoW at $1.4B, 360 at $1.1B, PS3 at $900M, and non-WoW PC at $374M:

Link - p.14

News Comments > Descent Fan Remake
24. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 01:07 Orogogus

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:01:
Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Descent 2 multiplayer has to be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. There is nothing like fully 3D multiplayer battles in a contained space/arena like Descent.

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

The terrain system was a giant wash because weapons in descent were designed for small scale battles inside arenas, not for huge distance outside flying. So descent 3 ended up failing at retail. Not to mention FPS games have basically encapsulated vehicular shooters making them redundant, people want things like Halo and Just cause and GTA where you can just have a world and choose to be man with a gun or jump in a vehicle. Being restrained to vehicles would never wash with a modern audience of a large size I don't think.

Reality is descent was also newbie unfriendly, most FPS gamers got slaughtered because they can't handle true 3D movement. That's why first person shooters caught on - they were easier to control and jump into then descent.

Descent being fully 3D gave people motion sickness as well. So it had a few things going against it.

On top of all that, I feel the game favored people who had a joystick with a hat switch, which was never a huge majority of PC gamers. I'm sure there are people who did great with mouse and keyboard, but I dunno; the one guy in my dorm who had the fancy Logitech stick just kept slaughtering the rest of us.

News Comments > Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming
28. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:27 Orogogus

shihonage wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:08:
Are you familiar with the phrase "keeping an honest man honest"? You know that most door locks cannot withstand a deliberate intrusion, and yet leaving your door open isn't quite the same as having one locked - no matter how flawed the lock is.

So there goes your comparison between cheats, hacks, and having end-game items staring you in the face 30 minutes through the game.

With a trite saying? You have to actually put the gun in your inventory, and wield it, the same way you would have to type in a console command or install a hack. This talk of locks and honest men is why we still have people throwing bitchfits about games that let you save anywhere.

To you this may be a non-issue, but it is definitely not a "feature" by any stretch of the imagination. It adds nothing to the game, only subtracts from it.

Here's a stretch -- the DLC costs money, and you're getting it for free. Or: with the DLC, you can play without the new guns, but without it, you can't play with them.

That's why there's a 23-page about it, on Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780675

You're never going to win an Internet argument by pointing to another forum's thread, because every forum think all the other forums are full of idiots. That thread is full of idiots. They're wrong about the ammo drops. The console versions, without DLC, also have ammo for guns you don't and shouldn't have. Those are fixed drops. If it weren't the case, you'd be picking up wrong ammo through the whole damn game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 00:51 Orogogus

strong placebo wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:33:
I agree with Beamer -- a good plasma out does a good LCD anytime.
Eh, I'd say as long as that time isn't the middle of the day. I have a plasma, with some kind of fancy schmancy coating on the glass, but it's just not good in the day unless I draw all the blinds and shut the curtains. It's kind of inconvenient, and I'd say that if the sun is actually shining on the set then the worst LCD outperforms the best plasma.

25. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 00:29 Orogogus

I honestly cannot fathom being outraged -- and you're totally flying off the handle here -- because you're buying those things in the store and they're forcing you to ruin your game. Is your game ruined the second you see a cheat code on the Internet, or once you find out the game can be modded? Because that's the level of self-control we're talking about. DON'T USE THE GODDAMNED DLC IF YOU THINK IT'S OVERPOWERED. Just use those other things, which you would be getting in the normal course of the game.

I mean, if the complaint is that it makes your store cluttered, that's kind of valid, but not "OMG the Steam version is broken boohoo *sob*" material here.

21. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 21:57 Orogogus

shihonage wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:20:
Dead Space 2 on Steam continues to be horribly broken while they fix Doom 3, a subpar game nobody plays.

Hilarious.

See, buying Dead Space 2 on Steam rewards you with a DLC "feature" which makes all items in the shop free - even the most powerful ones. All the prices are FUBAR'd.

You can go around that and redeem Dead Space 2 code via Origin, and get Dead Space 2 v1.0, which does not have that problem - unfortunately it has a game-breaking bug which creates constant noise and mini-inventory never goes away from the screen.

The sane solution, I suppose, is to get a pirated cracked patched version, but at this point I am too tired to bother.

This is not true, or it wasn't when I played through a year ago. The Steam version of DS2 comes with all the DLC items, for free. If you have the console or Origin versions, you have to pay money for the DLC -- at which point it's also free in game.

The regular, non-DLC weapons cost the same as they normally would.

When you go to a shop, anything with a fancy icon on it is a DLC item, and is free. Their name also has some modifier in it, so that instead of a Ripper you'd be buying a Bloody Ripper or something. If you don't select those, you're playing the original game.

News Comments > Death Rally Free Weekend
7. Re: Death Rally Free Weekend Nov 10, 2012, 03:47 Orogogus

"Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road". Man alive but the rubberbanding in that game made me angry.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2012, 20:55 Orogogus

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:19:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:00:
nin wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:35:
Stormsinger wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:22:
The Witcher came from books? Wow...learn something new every day.

Think there's like 2, with a 3rd coming, once it's translated? Amazon shows Aug 27th 2013.

2 short story collections and 5 novels, I believe.

Oh wow. Are those all translated to english? I've got a couple on my amazon wish list.

Evidently not. From Wikipedia:

Miecz Przeznaczenia (The Sword of Destiny) (1992)
Ostatnie zyczenie (The Last Wish) (1993, English edition: 2008)

Krew elfów (Blood of Elves) (1994, English edition: 2008)
Czas pogardy (Times of Contempt) (1995, English edition: Planned 2013)
Chrzest ognia (Baptism of Fire) (1996)
Wieza Jaskólki (The Swallow's Tower) (1997)
Pani Jeziora (Lady of the Lake) (1999)

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2012, 20:00 Orogogus

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:35:
Stormsinger wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:22:
The Witcher came from books? Wow...learn something new every day.

Think there's like 2, with a 3rd coming, once it's translated? Amazon shows Aug 27th 2013.

2 short story collections and 5 novels, I believe.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2012, 15:47 Orogogus

I feel like a faithful HD remake would be a free Flash game, or maybe an extremely low cost throwaway title. There wasn't any content in the original game that would justify more than about a $5 price tag.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter
22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:49 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:13:
He's been "making Elite 4" for like 20 years now. Please throw money at him so he can keep "making Elite 4" for another 20 years!

I'd gladly buy Elite 4 if it ever came out, but like Blue said, it's such incredible vaporware that it makes Duke Nukem Forever look like a reasonable way to develop a game.

Don't give him money. It's not going to get made.

Creston

I'm pretty sure I first read about Braben and his big plans for Elite on USENET. The only other contender still in the running for vaporware champion is the Starflight 3 fan project.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 23:32 Orogogus

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:19:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:29:
Doesn't really matter much. Publishers just auto ignore console piracy anyways.

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

He said publishers, which while true of Microsoft and Sony, would only apply to the games they publish. Microsoft bans modded consoles because it hurts their bottom line, it's hardly a simple matter of lost sales but lost licensing fees, goodwill, etc., on the old accounting spreadsheet. When third party publishing is your lifeblood, you tend to take other factors into consideration.

The goodwill you refer to is why I connected MS and Sony to publishers. Microsoft and Sony have less to lose than the publishers from console piracy, and pressure to ban modded consoles has to be coming from the publishers, either directly or indirectly. If the publishers didn't care, then it's hard to imagine MS and Sony being so proactive in cutting off revenue streams.

And that said, it's hard to imagine what people chest-beating about perceived inaction regarding console piracy are thinking. Publishers aren't going to start putting DRM on console discs. A console game that can't surmount the piracy overhead probably won't get publishing money in the first place.

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942
29. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 21:50 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:40:
BF1942 had me hooked for months despite my lifelong aversion to multiplayer games; it was that good. Eventually though it got tiring have a 10 to 1 death:kill ratio.

As far as requiring Origin, however, no thanks. I don't buy into the whole conspiracy theorist silliness about it being malware or spyware (like Verno said, it functions similarly to Steam in that regard) or that it being from despicable EA makes it automatically bad per se. You really don't need to fabricate stuff to make Origin appear bad though; by simple factual comparison to Steam it sucks so bad that EA ought to be discounting games that require it by 50% just for users having to put up with it. It is awful in every sense of the word - every bit as bad as the horrid Games For Windows Live abomination to me, though not in exactly the same ways.

I'm not opposed to a viable competitor to Steam (choice is always good) but Origin isn't even in the same league as Steam. Even if it was, I'm a one-stop-shopping, all-my-eggs-in-one-basket kind of guy, so I'd be sticking with Steam regardless. EA is probably losing considerable money by not releasing all of their titles on Steam.

According to the PA forums Origin/EA's one strong point over Steam/Valve is customer service. If you have a problem EA's customer support gets you into live chat, and they often give you a free game for your trouble. Valve on the other hand is evidently staffed by automatons, accessible only by email, who take days to answer with canned responses that don't solve the problem.

One person bought Sid Meier's Railroads! and put it in his gift inventory, after which the game was cut from Steam; his gift was yanked and won't be coming back. People whose accounts were locked for any reason have basically no recourse.

Everything else about Origin is equal or worse, though. But as one person noted, when everyone gets to do what they want, apparently no one opts for customer service.

News Comments > U.K. Charts
2. Re: U.K. Charts Nov 5, 2012, 17:40 Orogogus

There are a ton of Farming Simulator mods out there, which I don't really understand either.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 16:56 Orogogus

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:29:
Darks wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:22:
Just assholes trying to make the pc out as the issue as always.
Doesn't really matter much. Publishers just auto ignore console piracy anyways.

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 3, 2012, 10:50 Orogogus

Cram wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 04:13:
Yet a point remains. How often does a major AAA+ PC only release get leaked a month early? PC, where apparently all the piracy happens. I'm am sure someone will provide an example of some game, but it seems to happen to console games far FAR more. At least you hear about about it more; some developers and publishers pretend it never happens and still ignore the PC for fear of pirates.

I don't think they pretend it never happens, but I do think a lot of PC gamers seem to pretend that there's no more piracy on the PC than on consoles, which is unlikely. How often do you see 5,000 seeders for a console game, or 15,000 leechers? It's also not hard to go to a torrent site and look for any PC & console release and find a wall of PC torrents with a few lonely console equivalents near the bottom.

The game companies don't even have to do that; they have sales data, and they can compare that against the number of people who are playing online, who have submitted their CD keys, or anything else that's exposed. Or they can just count the money and draw their own conclusions.

903 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo