Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 826 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 17:11 Orogogus

I remember about a year ago being extremely put off by the fact that the LibreOffice website couldn't be bothered to put up a short explanation of how it was better or even different from OpenOffice, other than to state that it was a fork in the development path or something. As a consumer I want to know which product suits my needs better, and I had no luck figuring it out.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:03 Orogogus

Chromius wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:52:
Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years

If that's the case, I think they missed a key part of the strategy, i.e., actually releasing it for the consoles they dumbed it down for.

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2012, 20:09 Orogogus

Huh. Why are the charts that way?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 16:53 Orogogus

As a control issue it still doesn't make sense to invoke global gloom and doom and collaborate with outsiders unnecessarily. A government can just point to Los Angeles or Beijing for justification on why intervention is needed to reign in pollution. The FDA doesn't need to manufacture an artificial drug poisoning epidemic to justify its existence. It can start from reasonable measures and then over-bureaucratize over time.

If there were someone with an actual agenda, it would make more sense to focus on the local effects of pollution and use those to establish regulations. Secondhand smoke as an issue took hold amazingly quickly and with relatively little dissent. Making it a global issue just muddies the waters and brings in even more outsiders to the table.

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter Funded
2. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 15:26 Orogogus

I haven't really followed the video game ones particularly closely, but this is how other Kickstarters have been for a while. Those are their stretch goals. They keep people enthused and donating after the project has hit its original goal.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2012, 14:45 Orogogus

The all-time chart does seem to show a drop from a former steady point at ~30K to ~15K, and Umbragen didn't specify a time period.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 14:42 Orogogus

1. Those spending actions are justifications that would be used for raising taxes, as indicated by the word "to".

2. The same checks that keep the government from raising taxes at the federal level apply to climate change regulation as well.

3. You'll note that James Lovelock still believes in manmade global warming.

The base argument is, why would governments need to fund a global warming scare to raise revenue? There are easier, more profitable ways.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2012, 14:47.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 12:28 Orogogus

Matshock wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:01:
as I alluded to before, greedy & incompetent governments with taxation agendas have an absolute monopoly on the research so that's not surprising.

This just sounds incredibly contrived and tinfoil hat every time you bring it up as an arguing point. Greedy governments don't need to make up stories about climate change to raise taxes. They can raise taxes just because. In countries where they have to care about votes, the demographic swayed by climate change arguments is the same one that would be willing to shift the tax burden from low earners to corporations. It's in these governments' interest to have companies earning more money and then slapping taxes on them to offset the deficit, to pay for universal health care, to safeguard against an increase in Chinese defense spending, to bail out the Detroit auto industry, anything they feel like, none of which requires research, grant money or handing the burden of justification to people and organizations outside their direct control. There are far simpler and more broadly appealing pretexts than a climate change bogeyman, wherein the hypothetical insane government(s) have picked something that goes down as well as a tax to fund abortions.

When people posit the reverse, that giant, polluting corporations have enormous incentive to muddle the climate change argument, it's a much more direct line of argument.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
12. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:55 Orogogus

There are other MMOs that have survived besides WOW. EVE Online has kept its niche going for almost 10 years, WWII Online isn't dead yet, Everquest I don't even know what, and somehow Ultima Online is apparently still around. And of course LotR Online prospering after going F2P helped set the current trend.

There's only one game making money hand over fist like a license to print money, but the other guys aren't necessarily doing that badly.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale
43. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 19:22 Orogogus

Rea1One wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:16:
Stuff that im not even going to bother with this game anymore and just stick with Hawken & Planetside 2.

...those are both going to be free to play games, too, which are almost certainly going to have similar income streams.

News Comments > Train Simulator to Add Steamworks Support
2. Re: Train Simulator to Add Steamworks Support Jun 20, 2012, 19:02 Orogogus

They kind of conspicuously don't say anything about user-created trains.  

40. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 15:29 Orogogus

People get the same bonuses over other players by virtue of playing more often. And the same thing happens in Planetside 2, at least according to the Wikipedia article, which describes certs and skills unlocked over time like (I think) Eve Online. It hardly seems like an even playing field unless there are no unlocks whatsoever.  

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
16. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 20, 2012, 15:23 Orogogus

I think there were basically a handful of games in this niche genre before Grimrock -- Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder 1-3, Dungeon Hack and Stonekeep. And I guess Might & Magic skirted pretty close around Isles of Terra and Xeen. I don't really know that I'd say they're that way because of technical limitations. By the time Stonekeep came out there was already Ultima Underworld I & II, SSI's Ravenloft and Menzoberranzan and a few others, all real-time gridless action RPGs. It places less emphasis on action skills than something like Deus Ex, but isn't as sterile as, say, Wizardry, Bard's Tale or the old Might & Magics  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:51 Orogogus

sauron wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:25:
Blue wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 11:13:
10 Video Games That Should Have Sequels.

Man, a sequel to Grim Fandango would be awesome. Are you listening, Tim Schaefer?

Strangely, it was Grim Fandango and not Quake 2 that convinced me to go out and get a real video card (Voodoo Banshee with whopping 16MB RAM!).

People keep asking for it, and I keep thinking it would be such a bad idea. The story was tied up well, and everything in the universe was basically there for the sake of Manny's plot. It feels like asking for a sequel to Casablanca or Gone With the Wind. What can anyone possibly expect out of it other than the worst kind of cash-in?

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
9. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 20, 2012, 12:48 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:44:
I liked it too, and I also need to finish it. I got stuck, took a break hoping I'd come back fresh and feel like an idiot when I find out what I missed.

I like that it's a modern version of games like Eye of the Beholder, etc., but I'd like to see a blend of LoG with roguelike elements, ie. random dungeons, permadeath (optional).

That was Dungeon Hack, made with the Eye of the Beholder II engine. Permadeath would feel kind of weird with a party-based game, though.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes Jun 20, 2012, 10:32 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:23:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 01:20:
Online co-op would be well and good, but if they made a game in the LEGO franchise that dads (or moms) couldn't play with their little kids, they'd be the dumbest thing ever to set foot in the video game industry. I can't think for a second that couch co-op is wrong for these games.

I doubt many would state get rid of local coop, just want online coop added.

It was really just the one guy I responded to.

28. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 01:22 Orogogus

I think it's pretty obvious that C-bills are the currency, meaning that it speeds up the grind, not that your lasers do extra damage or something.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 Orogogus

Online co-op would be well and good, but if they made a game in the LEGO franchise that dads (or moms) couldn't play with their little kids, they'd be the dumbest thing ever to set foot in the video game industry. I can't think for a second that couch co-op is wrong for these games.  

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 23:53 Orogogus

Kastagir wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 23:06:
How much do I have to pay for a SP campaign? That's the only option I'm interested in. This looks like a ridiculous attempt to prey upon the anticipation of gullible gamers. $120 to get your name in the credits? Puh-LEEZE.

It looks like an alternative to a kickstarter, a way to make some money from the people who always talk big about how they'd pay X hundred/thousand dollars to get game Y. There are a lot of people who do want a multiplayer 'Mech game, as the player-created online leagues for the Mechwarrior games were pretty complex affairs with a lot of online scripting and automation.

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 23:51 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 23:03:
TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 22:43:
Have fun not playing while the rest of us play for free..."

Errr, you mean "have fun not playing while the rest of us lose for free." Do you seriously think that you'll be anything other than cannon-fodder compared to those that P2W? Nothing like abject frustration to encourage me to throw money at a game </sarcasm>. But then, I guess I'm not a sheep... Wall

As noted, this game looks like it's based heavily on World of Tanks, and complaints with that game usually have to do with lack of mission variety, and not about leveling up slower than people who paid money. Everyone levels up just by playing, and from all accounts the overwhelming majority of people never buy in.

Also, people prognosticating about how the game would have made quadrillions of dollars as a standard retail package are ridiculous. Publishers didn't stop funding Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Heavy Gear and so on because they were just making too much money, so much money that people were getting crushed by giant sacks of money that just kept falling through the ceiling and in the windows. Freespace 2, a best of class game in a related genre, is said to have sold about 30K copies before GOG picked it up. There is such thing as a niche genre.

826 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo