Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 996 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2013, 18:53 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 17:43:
ViRGE wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:58:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:31:
Good old Verizon. "It's damaged beyond repair." No, it's damaged beyond your WILLINGNESS to repair it. Those two are not the same fucking thing.
Not quite. Salt water + copper wiring leads to the outright destruction of copper wiring. I mean yeah, bringing back the service is technically "repairing" it, but in reality what has to happen is that Verizon would need to lay down a completely new network. And given they just lost their copper plants it would have to be a fiber network at easily over 10K/home.

That stuff is expensive at a time when people are getting rid of landlines.

And? Fine, if Verizon doesn't want to do it, get out of the area altogether, so another provider can get in there. And they don't want to do that either, because they charge those people higher than normal fees for being in a "difficult to serve" area. It's basically a printing press for money.

This fucking idea that reigns here in the US that if a corporation's infrastructure breaks down, the customer should somehow foot the bill is utterly retarded.

Creston

The article seems to say that they do want to get out -- or at least switch to wireless -- and the state is looking at whether to let them. Isn't that the point of the article?

You kind of assume that someone else wants to get in there, and I really don't think that's the case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row 4 "Low Violence" Edition Plans?
8. Re: Saints Row 4 Jul 2, 2013, 14:22 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 13:48:
I saw a comment in another forum recently from Australians bitching about how games are more expensive in Aus. vs. the rest of the world. I imagine this is why. When developers have to rewrite their damn games to pass your nanny laws, you should have to pay more to cover the extra development costs.

They overpay on the kid friendly games, too.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 12:39 Orogogus

Axis wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 10:39:
and there was no forum spoilers or crybabies -- you discovered shit for yourself and dealt with it.

That's kind of never, ever coming back.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 30, 2013, 21:20 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 16:11:
Overon wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 16:07:
This is why devs are guaranteed profits when they make shitty games quickly taking advantage of known franchises like Deadpool.

Based on the video, I wouldn't say it was a shitty game. Maybe average, or doesn't bring anything new to the table...but "shitty" seems a little harsh.

This is the kind of thing that skews my perspective when everyone bemoans the AAA $100M+ extravaganza mentality, where it seems like action games at least have to be AAA or else they're shit or only worth $15. But apparently this one is selling well enough, so there's that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
19. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 00:16 Orogogus

Squirmer wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:04:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 22:37:
In this case: he has a LOT of donaters. So... once he's done and releases it, how many potential customers will be left?
-

Plenty? There are about 200,000 backers, and the PC market is bigger than that. There are many people who don't want to back a project in the early stages but will buy it later if it actually turns out well.

You can be sure they'll have ways to monetize the game once it's released too, like more ship DLC, and I think there was talk of a subscription of some kind. I'm sure they'll make plenty of money.

Well... also keep in mind that space action games like this are something of a niche, and Freespace 2 is supposed to have sold only about 20,000-30,000 copies before the GOG re-release.

Given that this game just made almost $200K selling the Idris, I think it would be really, really hard for them to actually lose money on this even if they had 0 people buying the retail package. They could probably do fine just releasing expansions and DLCs for existing backers.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
15. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 28, 2013, 23:51 Orogogus

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 22:37:
My biggest puzzler with these kick-starter games, especially niche markets, this is...

OK, you get your startup/production money from the customers instead of some investment by PublisherX. That's cool, then all of the profits are yours and you don't have a publisher telling you what you should be doing and changing your vision.

But... just about everyone that donates gets a copy of the game. So you get your building costs but you lose a sale.

In this case: he has a LOT of donaters. So... once he's done and releases it, how many potential customers will be left?

-

Does that necessarily have to be a problem? Donaters can and very often do chip in much, much more than the developer would get from a retail sale. Isn't it possible to just make all your money from the donations and not need to make a large number of sales afterwards? Especially for niche games I think it would be easy to find a few people willing to donate a large amount of money but not so easy to get more customers beyond that first pool.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Images Leak
4. Re: Satellite Reign Images Leak Jun 27, 2013, 20:49 Orogogus

I feel like Syndicate Wars was the modern take. It had 3D with vehicles that weren't tied to rails, it had some more defensive options instead of bigger and bigger offense, it had a storyline. The multiplayer was pretty worthless, and the economy wasn't much of an improvement over the first game, but I've never been really clear what all the posters here think is so much worse in Syndicate Wars compared to Syndicate.  

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
21. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 25, 2013, 16:01 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 14:24:
But they don't HAVE to. The Witcher 3 isn't going to cost tens of millions to make, and if anything it looks like Skyrim ++. There have been similar open world titles that didn't cost anywhere near that much.

Admittedly those games weren't as cool as Skyrim, but Skyrim's also a bit of an outlier.

My point is that you don't NEED to spend that much money to make a great RPG.

Creston

The development budget for The Witcher 3 is supposed to be $15M, which is up there, plus $25M for marketing, pushing it into the tens of millions range.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62992246&postcount=1

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled
20. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 21:29 Orogogus

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 19:48:
m0deth wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 17:03:
All these things being said and so far, nobody mentions that Heavy Gear sucked. Period.

That's because that's an opinion, and a minority opinion. Don't state it as if it were an indisputable fact. The review scores - especially for Heavy Gear II - were high, and a lot of people cite it as a favorite.

I kind of agree, though. Not knowing anything about the Heavy Gear universe, I thought HG2 was a mess.

- Multiplayer had about a hundred variants, and the only way to compare them was to flip through them one at a time in the game -- nothing in the manual, no PDF.

- You had dozens of weapons with damage, range and rate of fire characteristics rated as "good", "fair", etc. so that you'd often have two guns with identical profiles and no idea why one might be better than the other.

- The targeting computer applies a multiplier to your damage, but there's no documentation or in-game information on what that multiplier is.

- Everything you shoot at just has a health bar representing total armor/health, even though damage is per-location, and things die from a green bar all the time. So basically a lot of combat plays out as you shooting a weapon with "good" damage with a hidden multiplier against a target that has a big green health bar, and at some point it either blows up or it doesn't.

- Peer-to-peer online play when all its competitors were already client-server.

- An incredibly vague campaign intro cinematic; the only reason I knew what happened was because I read the online previews.

I do find it weird that people remember it more fondly than MW3 or Starsiege.

News Comments > GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight
19. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 16:40 Orogogus

Acleacius wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:32:
Thanks for the sale!

Xero wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:34:
Is there anyway to link your bought games on gog to steam? lol, I prefer having a 1 stop app to all my games... If it were possible, I would consider this site's deals...
It might cause Steam to add DRM to a GOG game, both Steam and GOG sell. You can always log into Steam, then run your nonSteam game, using the UI and Friends functions, without adding it to Steam.

Realistically, it just would be a matter of providing a Steam key, like they do with the Witcher. As far as I know it's up to the developer or original publisher. A Google search showed that supposedly someone who bought Hotline Miami from GOG was able to email the developer and get a Steam key, but that's kind of open to abuse.

From their point of view I guess the risk is that the buyer gives away the Steam key and it ends up being a buy one get one free sale.

News Comments > GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight
16. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:39 Orogogus

Xero wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:34:
Is there anyway to link your bought games on gog to steam? lol, I prefer having a 1 stop app to all my games... If it were possible, I would consider this site's deals...

Only for the Witcher games, I think, since CD Projekt/GOG was the developer.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 18, 2013, 15:10 Orogogus

LittleMe wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 14:58:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 14:10:
The cable companies have been straight out litigious to stop the spread of broadband. Bottom line is they don't want to spend the money to improve their service and they don't want any competition coming in and doing what they won't do.

They have the support of you and I to thank for it. Have we opposed the locally government granted franchises (monopoly) at town/county hearings? This is your government doing the job that you want by stamping out competition.

In San Diego the deals establishing the franchises are long done, and in large part those deals were made 25+ years ago to ensure that the cable companies would service everyone, not just the wealthy neighborhoods. At this point I don't believe there's any active government effort to stamp out competition, but collusion between providers not to spend money fighting each other.

Plus, yes, they do do everything in their power to squash competing technologies.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2013, 14:51 Orogogus

That's not his argument, or rather the argument of the post he liked:

"...that the numbers are US only, of course they are, last time I checked, the US where a big single territory for video games with some importance. Madden NFL simply doesn't sell outside the US, nonetheless it's a big title and Microsoft is currently preparing a console, by many considered as being US centric,, but I think Gamasutra won't skip reports about Madden or the Xbox One."

The US is a big territory, but not so big that the other territories are utterly negligible. Japan can float a ton of RPGs, and Europe can support their sports games without the US.

If you're positing that the games industry is in its death throes, as ASeven does all the time and is almost certainly doing here, and point to the 44% decline, then yes, you should take international and digital download numbers into account. Otherwise you're ignoring a sports franchise bigger than Madden because it doesn't move in the US.

It doesn't make sense for Sony to focus only on sales in Japan, and not being in the ad business, I don't see that it makes sense for us to focus on sales only in the US. People posting here aren't even the main demographic represented in those numbers, or else people would be kinder to Call of Duty and Angry Birds.

Also, several posters aren't in the US, so there's that as well, and I assume the same applies to Gamasutra's readership.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2013, 13:45 Orogogus

Ya, kind of a bizarre reply. The logic behind keeping hardware seems clear as day, unless there's some kind of digital download service for hardware that's throwing numbers out of whack.

As far as Europe goes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

FIFA narrowly edges out Madden for lifetime sales despite starting five years later, and Winning Eleven / Pro Evolution isn't far behind despite a 13 year gap. FIFA's also at or near the top of the Steam list all the time. Neither of these franchises sell in the US, therefore it must make sense to just throw out US data altogether and use EU only, right? Well, no.

News Comments > On Sale
21. Re: On Sale Jun 14, 2013, 12:39 Orogogus

There's also a pretty bad slog through a swamp/town chapter. The pacing in the second game is better.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
47. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 21:21 Orogogus

Effiencies were defined as separate from simply making cheaper games in Flatline's post. In that light it seems as nebulous as political candidates promising to save tons of money by cutting wasteful spending. Cutting back high expectations was point B.

In the case of Resident Evil 6, and of Tomb Raider, I don't think it was the case that the games weren't profitable. In both instances these games failed to meet projections, and I don't think anyone said either one lost money. Tomb Raider in particular was derided since it set a record for the franchise but still didn't meet its goals.

Call of Duty is the poster child for the broken model. It's the blockbuster that's forcing all the other games to aim to be blockbusters too. Isn't it supposed to be one of the super-spendy titles, up there with GTA?

Ultimately I do agree about the overemphasis on expensive graphics, but I feel the way people go on about it is misguided. Usually people point at titles like FTL or Minecraft as indie games taking over the reins from big publishers, but those are kind of one-offs. I think a more realistic expectation from big publishers scaling back their insane expectations would be a stream of somewhat janky looking shooters, probably half of them with zombies.

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 19:40 Orogogus

Draugr wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 15:44:
Flatline wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 14:03:
That tells me that the next "generation" of gaming should be about making AAA quality games *cheaper* to produce. Meaning faster, easier pipelines.

I've been predicting that games are going to peak on budget since the beginning of the PS3/360 generation. The solution to this isn't to yank fair use doctrine

Used games are not fair use at all. First sale doctrine is what applies here.

and force consumers into what amounts to an outdated pattern of game development, but to push, and I mean *really* push, to make games cheaper and more efficient to produce. That's it really.

Either that or admit that you've hit a certain level of fidelity that is just not economical to get past and go back to investing in content.

Next gen games *ARE* cheaper to produce, at least on a hardware level -- when everything is using such similar hardware, the porting is far cheaper than it used to be. That's not to say there may not be in increase in production costs elsewhere (again, they always feel graphics are king.) but there it going to be an offset because you don't need to worry yourself about making a version that runs on a Cell CPU and a PowerPC CPU.

I think publishers have enormous incentive to get games made more efficiently. I think that's what gets us yearly sports games with minimal changes, free to play, DLC, Starcraft 2 split into 3 titles, and nearly every action game made to console specifications. These are all ways to get games made more cheaply, and people certainly do complain.

I get the feeling that efficiency here just means magic, the way that every game that doesn't run perfectly smoothly is because the developers don't know how to "optimize". Like, is there a ton of evidence that companies use egregiously wasteful methodologies to make games? Game development probably isn't something you can six sigma or 5S into profitability.

On one hand indie games do get a lot of praise here, but on the other you also see a lot of action games taking flak for not going PC-only with visuals beyond what consoles can handle, or giant levels that can't be squeezed into the 360 and PS3's memory. There are a ton of people who complain about graphics -- I don't think it's possible to make a jungle game without people complaining that it pales compared to Crysis 2. A lot of complaints about consolization can be translated into 1) the game should be fancier and cost more to make, or 2) the gameplay should appeal to a smaller, more discerning audience, neither of which necessarily translate into a higher profit to man hours ratio.

56. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 14:56 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:13:
People keep saying that the Xbox One model is just like Steam's model...

There is one massive difference.

Steam doesn't stop working when you have no internet connection for 24 hrs. There is an offline mode.

I guess this is yesterday's news, but note that Steam's offline mode does stop working after 2-4 weeks without an Internet connection, rendering your games inert. Valve doesn't go out of its way to describe this feature, but apparently Valve customer service will tell you need to go online if you run into it.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2287540
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:28 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 21:16:
Way to be pathetic, ESA. It's a hundred dollar console that plays phone game (and does so not very well), and you're being this pedantic dick in trying to stop people from noticing them.

I hereby move we nominate the ESA instead of EA in next year's "Biggest fucking dicks in America" competition.

Creston

They're being petty, not pedantic. This is being pedantic.

News Comments > Mad Max Game Announced
35. Re: Mad Max Game Announced Jun 11, 2013, 17:45 Orogogus

Tanto Edge wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 17:17:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:12:
A Starship Troopers movie done right would basically be a scifi Full Metal Jacket. That would be kinda awesome.
qft.

You guys and I remember either Starship Troopers or Full Metal Jacket very differently.

996 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo