Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 917 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2013, 14:04 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:45:
Bill Borre wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:53:
The story doesn't sound plausible. For one thing, prior to 9/11, getting through that door probably would not have posed much challenge. For another, systematically murdering the crew would likely incense the passengers.

The most rational thing for the terrorists to have done would have been to simply lie to everyone that they were hijacking the plane. "Everyone stay calm and no one will get hurt." The passengers literally would not know what hit them until they slammed into the concrete and steel of the tower.

There's a lot of conflicting reports. Some reports of box cutters, stabbings, etc... from passengers and flight attendants on cell phones before the crashes reported things like that. There were also reports of chemical sprays and claims of a bomb.

But still, the TSA is just security theater.

As weapons go, a box cutter is much more plausible than a Swiss army knife. If you can kill someone with a pocket knife you can probably do it with your bare hands, too. I mean, if you click on that link and look at the knife at the maximum length & width, it looks a lot less threatening than bludgeoning someone with random luggage.

The outrage just seems kind misplaced. The shampoo (and other liquids) thing is because it's too easy to hide a liquid explosive or detonator, right? It doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 4, 2013, 22:23 Orogogus

Also, one of the common complaints about Origin is that their sales aren't as good or as frequent as Steam's, so they could be trying to improve there.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
25. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 14:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 14:39:
Moe Faux wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 13:10:
Beamer called out Creston on the fact that you can't extrapolate the 29% for core gamers to suggest that only 257 out of 6322 will buy. In accepting that, Creston said "double it" -- which is an odd thing to say if you're ripping apart the methodological validity of a survey. Making up numbers is bad, right?

In my view, what I said is "Even if you double the numbers the NPD is clamoring about, it's still underwhelming," and obviously doubling the number is the utter top limit because if they'd really HAD that amount, they would have mentioned it. Again, the reason they go with the "29% of core gamers" headline is because that sounds FAR more impressive than what the numbers actually are.

Nobody would get excited about a "Few people are planning to buy the next consoles at launch."

Creston

The NPD Group's not a video game industry mouthpiece. They cover all kinds of other industries, too. It's no skin off their nose if the data are unexciting or suggest a downward trend.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 14:41 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 14:39:
Moe Faux wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 13:10:
Beamer called out Creston on the fact that you can't extrapolate the 29% for core gamers to suggest that only 257 out of 6322 will buy. In accepting that, Creston said "double it" -- which is an odd thing to say if you're ripping apart the methodological validity of a survey. Making up numbers is bad, right?

In my view, what I said is "Even if you double the numbers the NPD is clamoring about, it's still underwhelming," and obviously doubling the number is the utter top limit because if they'd really HAD that amount, they would have mentioned it. Again, the reason they go with the "29% of core gamers" headline is because that sounds FAR more impressive than what the numbers actually are.

Nobody would get excited about a "Few people are planning to buy the next consoles at launch."

Creston

The NPD Group's not a video game industry mouthpiece. It's no skin off their nose the data are unexciting or suggest a downward trend.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 14:16 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:28:
I saw that part, and it left me a bit confused and I...perhaps incorrectly...assumed that it was simply over-simplified. We are basing spending predictions on the thoughts of somebody as young as 9 years old? That can't be right can it? Would any of us consider a "core" gamer someone who games only 5 hours a week? What is the point of limiting the genre's if you are basically going to include all of them?

The genre list excludes puzzle games and social games, which I think is reasonably significant.

I don't know what everyone else's experience is like, but my prime gaming years were 8-18, with the peak down near the fifth or sixth grade; it dropped significantly after I went to college, and fell off a cliff shortly after that. At 9 years old I was mowing lawns and delivering papers, and it's not impossible that I could have bought a $300 system (or $140, less than an NES, with inflation taken into account). Not everyone is in the same boat but even so it's weird that people seem to think it's impossible that a 9 year old could possibly get a console at launch, or know if he might get one for Christmas.

I don't know what to say about the 5 hours a week thing. If that's ludicrously low then I suppose I left core gaming behind a long, long time ago.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
13. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 1, 2013, 13:25 Orogogus

Natural Selection would be low hanging fruit, too. GW seems to protect its trademarks -- names, people actually using GW IPs to make fan projects, that sort of thing -- more aggressively than any look and feel cases.

And they probably don't pursue it because they don't have much of a leg to stand on themselves, especially where Warhammer Fantasy is concerned.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 12:14 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:00:
a) They never list how they were "put into buckets" that I can find. My question stands. What makes someone a "core" gamer by their standards. Did you find that, if you did I would like to see it. I am sure they had some sort of definition, but that doesn't make it valid for this type of analysis.

I think VG247 is misinterpreting the Gamezone article. Their CVG link seems to read it the same way I do:

1. Age 9 and older
2. Play games for five or more hours per week on an Xbox 360, PS3, PC, or Mac
3. Play a game that fits into any of these core genres: Play Action, Adventure, Fighting, Flight, Massively Multi-Player, Racing, Real Time Strategy, Role-Playing, Shooter, or Sport games on any of those devices

VG247 seems to think this was the polled population rather than the core definition, but that seems unlikely.

News Comments > Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale
30. Re: Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale Feb 27, 2013, 15:15 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:18:
Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:57:
Trevellian wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:13:
All I have wanted since Homeworld 2 is freaking Homeworld 3. I hate Relic for never making another after THQ finally got the IP back. And I hate all these other companies for just letting the IP sit there and rot.

Like someone else said, it's a real bummer that billions go into making and marketing the same FPS games every year but no one will spare 10mil for Homeworld.

Oh well, there's always Kickstarter I remember there was a Kickstarter thingie trying to acquire the Homeworld IP, not sure what happened with it though.

The problem is that Homeworld 3 will cost $10m and that's almost impossible with kickstarter.

I'm pretty sure I've seen people asking before, but why are people so attached to the Homeworld IP? I thought the story was reasonably good, but there's no reason to spend millions of dollars on a reasonably good story. If you just make a 3D RTS with spaceships and call it a spiritual successor, are people really not going to get on board unless it's got the same mothership and Hiigara and everything again? Homeworld 2 didn't really end on a cliffhanger like Freespace 2, so I don't see the reason not to keep the mechanics and start over.

News Comments > More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage
27. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 21, 2013, 20:28 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 04:54:
Yeah thing is though, the Aliens only try to charge them once. They learn pretty quickly that going against turrets is a bad idea also we dont see the Aliens dying against the turrets for all we know they were jumping around like mad and most of the shots were misses.

If I recall the scene correctly, they "learned" right as the guns were about to run out of bullets, and you totally do see aliens dying to the bullets.

Well, it's up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGE_h4jBBXc

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced
21. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 17:40 Orogogus

I could have sworn deqer was the one screaming at me and everyone else for not pre-ordering Torchlight 2 because the developers were that awesome and needed my money to keep them afloat. Apparently 2 years is too short, but after 3 years you're a total scumbag if you don't do your part.  

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Feb 20, 2013, 18:08 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 12:36:
I love how the Ars guy compares the player counts of PC games that have been out for years (TF2 and CS) with console games on launch day. Check back in five years and see how many people are still playing Halo 4 and GoW 3.

Dev and RPS used this as a talking point, but it's very obvious why Ars and Bungie used these games -- they're the top ranking FPS games on Steam stats (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_4_4__10 ). BF3stats.com suggests that the race for #1 FPS probably isn't particularly close (51K vs. 35K in #2). It's not like they went out of their way to pick flagging PC titles. Borderlands 2 is relatively new, but has only a quarter of TF2's players.

I also think if there were a free-to-play equivalent of TF2 on consoles, people would foul if they had picked that as a point of comparison.

It's always weird to see games I have no interest in whatsoever (Dota 2 and Football Manager) blowing everything else away.

News Comments > More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage
16. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 15:04 Orogogus

ShadyPete wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 12:58:
i think devs have lost sight of what Alien is all about. why not do something like a survival/escape style game more in line with original film. allow the player to use the environment and available tools to plan and execute their escape. in the original film the crew only had weapons that they created themselves and they didn't know if they would have any effect at all.

I think a game like that is susceptible to people getting frustrated and angry when things don't work like they have in mind. Stealth games already have this problem to some degree, and I'd think it would be even worse in a quasi-adventure game. Inevitably you end up having to be smart in the specific ways that the designers envisioned, or else you let players exploit game mechanics as they will and lose any horror aspect.

Are there good freeform survival/escape games that set the example?

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs in Q2
6. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 11:10:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 22:33:
I really wish other adventure/fps games would make use of their mouse gestures. They turned them down in Amnesia compared to Penumbra but I still think it adds so much to the genre. Opening a drawer or door by click holding and dragging just adds that extra immersion that a single click doesn't. It's rarely used as a game mechanic but to me it's more about the feel.

Also agreed. Slowness and interactiveness build a better atmosphere.

However we then have Bungie who can get a games input down to pressing just one Awesome Button, to do everything.

Bungie? There's a time and place for atmosphere, but a game like Halo or Quake doesn't seem like where you want to shoehorn slowness and interactiveness. And Halo doesn't even seem particularly egregious as far as QTE "mash A to not die" sequences go. What are you thinking of specifically?

News Comments > Star Wars Fighting Game Prototype Footage
9. Re: Star Wars Fighting Game Prototype Footage Feb 16, 2013, 14:14 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 12:13:
1) Why is Darth Maul not using a double "bladed" saber? I would think the tech demo or *proof of concept* would be exactly when you want to show that.

He does activate the second blade near the end of the video. And in the movie he did use it as a single blade in the first fight. I suppose it could have been proof of concept of switching styles.

Eh. I'm in the camp that thought that Teras Kasi game was awful, and don't see how this would have been any better. Star Wars just isn't a great setting for a fighting game in my opinion.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 20:51 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:02:
Then I saw a comment mentioning the vanilla looks better, so I checked - the original is on the left.

Doesn't it say SweetFX is on the left and vanilla is on the right? But I do think the SweetFX look worse after clicking the links. As thumbnails they look nice (and the vanilla looks washed out), but zoomed in it's all murky and harder to make anything out.

News Comments > Bungie's Destiny Details Soon
12. Re: Bungie's Destiny Details Soon Feb 12, 2013, 19:52 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 19:33:
When Halo gains the status of Doom 1+2, Unreal Tournament, Thief 1+2, Deus Ex 1, Far Cry, or Crysis, it will then be worthy. It is not and it never will be. Each of those games, in one category or another, significantly progressed FPS games.

What did Doom 2 and Thief 2 do? Everyone's shortlist is different, of course -- I think only two or three of those would make it on my list of 10 -- but it seems bizarre to include those, practically the definition of serviceable sequels, as genre benders while blowing off Myth.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 14:05 Orogogus

avianflu wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 12:49:
it is bit sad though that Toys for Bob made some great games years ago and then this is what they are making now.

They made 2 -- Star Control I & II -- and the Horde was reasonably entertaining, but it looks like 2000-2008 was a big slump for them, filled with Disney and skateboarding games.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2013, 22:57 Orogogus

I feel like a game with thousands of units is basically the Total Annihilation model, and we probably don't need more than a few of those on the market. The same way that the majority of FPSes aren't Battlefield, I wouldn't think gamers necessarily want every game to have thousands of high fidelity units. It's just a lot to manage, and going in different directions a la MOBAs, Tower Defense games, FTL seems more like a viable pathway than a glut of RTS games with 10,000 units with individually modeled bayonets or flak batteries fighting it out.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
24. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 14:38 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 14:20:
Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 13:24:
Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 13:14:
Excuse me, but thereís a big difference when people agree and disagree compared to the constant whining and bitching thatís been occurring here. Donít confuse the facts. And I do believe there are many others here who share that same sentiment.

In no way do I believe the game will be perfect, but some of the constant complaining Iíve read here is beyond the norm. So lets just agree to disagree shall we?

People posting things about the game's flaws isn't bitching just because you say it is.

If you want to agree to disagree, how about you stop thread shitting whenever someone posts an opinion you don't like? You claim to have played the game at E3 so maybe try telling people something positive about it other than "its great, you all suck you stupid whiners blah blah blah".

Also there is no way you get to play the high road card when you came into the thread posting this crap:

Oh gee, another thread for everyone to sit in and bitch about the game.

If the fucking shoe fits than wear it, got it Veron? I post what I did because of the same shit like this. Got it??

The deqer school of promoting games, I see.

News Comments > Origin for OS X
8. Re: Origin for OS X Feb 8, 2013, 13:38 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 12:13:
I can understand wanting EA games on Steam and I can understand not liking Origin's T&C but I can't understand why it's unreasonable for EA to not want to give a competitor a slice of their cash.

By the same token it's reasonable for gamers not to like this, since the endpoint is every publisher setting up their own competing service with nothing available on anyone else's DD platform. It would be better for us if EA continued releasing games on Steam as well as Origin, so you can't expect people to cheer them on, either. It's not like we have any vested interest in EA maximizing their profits.

917 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo