Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 967 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released
22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 23, 2013, 22:19 Orogogus

People have said that Gearbox is obligated to make these DLCs, since they sold a season pass. The fact that they're throwing them out there with no announcement or fanfare suggests that people didn't really buy the game and they're just doing this because they have to.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
7. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 23, 2013, 21:37 Orogogus

This project seems a little weird. If they're going to reboot it, why use the Star Control property? Aside from sidestepping the damage done by SC3, anyway. Star Control pretty much already was a reboot of Starflight, and they didn't get the Starflight license to do that. It seems like it would make more sense to just make an action adventure game in the GalCiv or Sins universe, or create a new world, especially since they apparently bought the license first and decided reboot, then approached Ford and Reiche.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Birthday Party
29. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 21:04 Orogogus

deqer wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 19:38:
SC2 stands for Supreme Commander 2, not Starcraft 2.

Uh, whatever.

Google results

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released
20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 23, 2013, 20:51 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 20:18:
One guy lives at the end, and I challenge anyone who's seen the movie to tell me what his name was without looking it up.

Challenge accepted (sst):
Charles Weyland? Is was Lance Hendrickson's character, right?

/end

I'm pretty sure he means one the prisoner dude who doesn't snuff it. A bunch of Henriksen's guards "live", too.

News Comments > StarCraft II Birthday Party
25. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:48 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:29:
Ehhh, I liked it better when it was just called StarCraft. Granted it's prettier now, but anytime I'm supposed to measure my play in made-up units (APM, anyone?), it sounds way too much like work...

That started with Starcraft, didn't it? I know the term was around before SC2.

News Comments > PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures in October
2. Re: PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures in October Jul 19, 2013, 21:11 Orogogus

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 20:36:
Does this game do something that ROM's cant?

It doesn't sound anything like it's going to be anything like the original arcade game. Just as well, as wakka-wakka-fruit would be a tough sell these days to the 6-11 crowd.

News Comments > Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter
14. Re: Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 18:23 Orogogus

Wasn't a fan of the Sierra philosophy then, still not one now. My first CD-ROM came with King's Quest V, which was definitely one of the "throw the boot at the cat chasing the mouse, which only triggers once, or else you'll be stuck 40 minutes later" games. Also, throw pie to beat yeti. Even the best point and click adventure games have their unintuitive puzzles, but man, what a piece of garbage.  

News Comments > INSECTION Kickstarter
3. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 22:36 Orogogus

And then all the DOOM and Build Engine games that came after were likewise limited to 4 players.

I find that in most games, 4 people is about right. More than that and you're not so much playing a group playing co-op as a bunch of people who happen to be in the same game and maybe not killing each other all the time. It gets too chaotic, and co-op games that have storylines generally aren't built to scale from 1 to 32 gracefully. The last Serious Sam game in particular was a mess, I thought, as players fan out and knock the level down 10 times faster than if it were one guy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 14:11 Orogogus

Quick poking around Google suggests it's not correct.

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2006_11.htm
Nov. 2006, says he's "no longer a Democratic operative (or even a registered Democrat), nor a Republican..."

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2012_10.htm
Oct. 2012 post, strongly anti-Clinton, Gore, Kerry and Obama.

News Comments > WARMACHINE: TACTICS Kickstarter
5. Re: WARMACHINE: TACTICS Kickstarter Jul 11, 2013, 13:24 Orogogus

They've been openly competing against Warhammer Fantasy since 2003, I would be astonished if GW hasn't noticed them until now.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases "Grand Theft Auto Online"
104. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases Jul 10, 2013, 15:20 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 09:56:
True I dont write in cursive often, or even rarely. And yes I just tried to write a sentence and it came out all fucked up and illegible. But reading it is no problem (if its legible) I think I would have to forget the alphabet to forget how to read.

But, I mean, why are Roman numerals important? I know them because I was taught in grades 2-4, but I don't feel it elevates me or anything. I do get kind of worked up about people not being able to perform basic arithmetic without their phone, or using their mouse instead of keyboard shortcuts for everything, but Roman numerals seem less inherently useful than, I don't know, Morse Code or Braille, and I don't know those. If they were cut from the curriculum it doesn't seem like it would do much harm.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2013, 18:53 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 17:43:
ViRGE wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:58:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:31:
Good old Verizon. "It's damaged beyond repair." No, it's damaged beyond your WILLINGNESS to repair it. Those two are not the same fucking thing.
Not quite. Salt water + copper wiring leads to the outright destruction of copper wiring. I mean yeah, bringing back the service is technically "repairing" it, but in reality what has to happen is that Verizon would need to lay down a completely new network. And given they just lost their copper plants it would have to be a fiber network at easily over 10K/home.

That stuff is expensive at a time when people are getting rid of landlines.

And? Fine, if Verizon doesn't want to do it, get out of the area altogether, so another provider can get in there. And they don't want to do that either, because they charge those people higher than normal fees for being in a "difficult to serve" area. It's basically a printing press for money.

This fucking idea that reigns here in the US that if a corporation's infrastructure breaks down, the customer should somehow foot the bill is utterly retarded.

Creston

The article seems to say that they do want to get out -- or at least switch to wireless -- and the state is looking at whether to let them. Isn't that the point of the article?

You kind of assume that someone else wants to get in there, and I really don't think that's the case.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 "Low Violence" Edition Plans?
8. Re: Saints Row 4 Jul 2, 2013, 14:22 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 13:48:
I saw a comment in another forum recently from Australians bitching about how games are more expensive in Aus. vs. the rest of the world. I imagine this is why. When developers have to rewrite their damn games to pass your nanny laws, you should have to pay more to cover the extra development costs.

They overpay on the kid friendly games, too.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 12:39 Orogogus

Axis wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 10:39:
and there was no forum spoilers or crybabies -- you discovered shit for yourself and dealt with it.

That's kind of never, ever coming back.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 30, 2013, 21:20 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 16:11:
Overon wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 16:07:
This is why devs are guaranteed profits when they make shitty games quickly taking advantage of known franchises like Deadpool.

Based on the video, I wouldn't say it was a shitty game. Maybe average, or doesn't bring anything new to the table...but "shitty" seems a little harsh.

This is the kind of thing that skews my perspective when everyone bemoans the AAA $100M+ extravaganza mentality, where it seems like action games at least have to be AAA or else they're shit or only worth $15. But apparently this one is selling well enough, so there's that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
19. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 00:16 Orogogus

Squirmer wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:04:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 22:37:
In this case: he has a LOT of donaters. So... once he's done and releases it, how many potential customers will be left?
-

Plenty? There are about 200,000 backers, and the PC market is bigger than that. There are many people who don't want to back a project in the early stages but will buy it later if it actually turns out well.

You can be sure they'll have ways to monetize the game once it's released too, like more ship DLC, and I think there was talk of a subscription of some kind. I'm sure they'll make plenty of money.

Well... also keep in mind that space action games like this are something of a niche, and Freespace 2 is supposed to have sold only about 20,000-30,000 copies before the GOG re-release.

Given that this game just made almost $200K selling the Idris, I think it would be really, really hard for them to actually lose money on this even if they had 0 people buying the retail package. They could probably do fine just releasing expansions and DLCs for existing backers.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
15. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 28, 2013, 23:51 Orogogus

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 22:37:
My biggest puzzler with these kick-starter games, especially niche markets, this is...

OK, you get your startup/production money from the customers instead of some investment by PublisherX. That's cool, then all of the profits are yours and you don't have a publisher telling you what you should be doing and changing your vision.

But... just about everyone that donates gets a copy of the game. So you get your building costs but you lose a sale.

In this case: he has a LOT of donaters. So... once he's done and releases it, how many potential customers will be left?

-

Does that necessarily have to be a problem? Donaters can and very often do chip in much, much more than the developer would get from a retail sale. Isn't it possible to just make all your money from the donations and not need to make a large number of sales afterwards? Especially for niche games I think it would be easy to find a few people willing to donate a large amount of money but not so easy to get more customers beyond that first pool.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Images Leak
4. Re: Satellite Reign Images Leak Jun 27, 2013, 20:49 Orogogus

I feel like Syndicate Wars was the modern take. It had 3D with vehicles that weren't tied to rails, it had some more defensive options instead of bigger and bigger offense, it had a storyline. The multiplayer was pretty worthless, and the economy wasn't much of an improvement over the first game, but I've never been really clear what all the posters here think is so much worse in Syndicate Wars compared to Syndicate.  

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
21. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 25, 2013, 16:01 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 14:24:
But they don't HAVE to. The Witcher 3 isn't going to cost tens of millions to make, and if anything it looks like Skyrim ++. There have been similar open world titles that didn't cost anywhere near that much.

Admittedly those games weren't as cool as Skyrim, but Skyrim's also a bit of an outlier.

My point is that you don't NEED to spend that much money to make a great RPG.

Creston

The development budget for The Witcher 3 is supposed to be $15M, which is up there, plus $25M for marketing, pushing it into the tens of millions range.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62992246&postcount=1

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled
20. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 21:29 Orogogus

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 19:48:
m0deth wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 17:03:
All these things being said and so far, nobody mentions that Heavy Gear sucked. Period.

That's because that's an opinion, and a minority opinion. Don't state it as if it were an indisputable fact. The review scores - especially for Heavy Gear II - were high, and a lot of people cite it as a favorite.

I kind of agree, though. Not knowing anything about the Heavy Gear universe, I thought HG2 was a mess.

- Multiplayer had about a hundred variants, and the only way to compare them was to flip through them one at a time in the game -- nothing in the manual, no PDF.

- You had dozens of weapons with damage, range and rate of fire characteristics rated as "good", "fair", etc. so that you'd often have two guns with identical profiles and no idea why one might be better than the other.

- The targeting computer applies a multiplier to your damage, but there's no documentation or in-game information on what that multiplier is.

- Everything you shoot at just has a health bar representing total armor/health, even though damage is per-location, and things die from a green bar all the time. So basically a lot of combat plays out as you shooting a weapon with "good" damage with a hidden multiplier against a target that has a big green health bar, and at some point it either blows up or it doesn't.

- Peer-to-peer online play when all its competitors were already client-server.

- An incredibly vague campaign intro cinematic; the only reason I knew what happened was because I read the online previews.

I do find it weird that people remember it more fondly than MW3 or Starsiege.

967 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo