Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 917 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Mad Max Game Announced
35. Re: Mad Max Game Announced Jun 11, 2013, 17:45 Orogogus

Tanto Edge wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 17:17:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:12:
A Starship Troopers movie done right would basically be a scifi Full Metal Jacket. That would be kinda awesome.
qft.

You guys and I remember either Starship Troopers or Full Metal Jacket very differently.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500
26. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 16:24 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 14:47:
Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 14:33:
Honestly, it's not a big deal. No one's done anything with it forever. Put the $7500 toward actual development and create an homage.

I guess if you really think about it, the IP isn't that amazing anyway. It was the gameplay that was fun. The story and stuff is pretty interchangeable with just about every other scifi setting.

I'd love a space sim set in the Mass Effect universe, but I know that shit won't happen.

I don't know, I've complained about this with other IPs, but I feel Freespace has a reasonably strong background and I could see some value in the IP. FS2 ended on a pretty big cliffhanger, and there are a lot of storylines left unsolved. What happened to Earth after the Lucifer collapsed its jump point in FS1? What do the Shivans want? What happened to Bosch?

It's not like Homeworld, where there's really no storyline left to tie up, or Total Annihilation, which is almost entirely devoid of anything that would be considered protected IP worth grabbing.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
34. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 20:02 Orogogus

Fixing the screen height issue only covered up the fact that people weren't using the Start Menu. It's really rare that I see an average user go in there to start a program. Like I said, the only element I've seen most people use is the Shutdown button.  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty
10. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty May 31, 2013, 19:48 Orogogus

ViRGE wrote on May 31, 2013, 19:14:
There are also fewer technical games though. Klingon Academy came with a spiral bound manual, which painstakingly listed information on all of the ships, the weapon systems, major characters, and of course the various powers. It's something of an extreme example, but an example of a particularly dense manual that simply isn't done anymore.

Didn't that A10 simulator on Steam come with a PDF manual nearly 700 pages long?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 18:08 Orogogus

Well, I agree that most people I've met don't know how to use the Start Menu. If I had a nickel for every time I opened an old version of Windows to find the Start Menu filled with crap going past the screen height... In practice I find that the majority of people I know use desktop icons for everything, and the Start Menu is just there to shut down the computer.

I can sort of see how that mess ended up as the W8 interface, especially after all these people were apparently able to manage tablet and smartphone interfaces just fine. But not so great for people who were able to navigate Windows in the first place,

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty
6. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty May 31, 2013, 14:49 Orogogus

Some boxes. I have many fond memories of EA games that came in square cardboard billfolds less than 1/4" thick.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 28, 2013, 15:04 Orogogus

Narf2029 wrote on May 28, 2013, 14:41:
http://xkcd.com/936/

The article includes that comic and goes into how they defeat that kind of password.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 28, 2013, 14:08 Orogogus

Those with bad passwords destroy the security of a site for everyone if a targeted attempt is made.

If that's the case, wouldn't if be easy to just go to the site and make some bad passwords on purpose? Or good ones, for that matter? The article says corporate passwords are a different beast, so it sounds like they're looking at publicly accessible websites.

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Adds Singleplayer
14. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Adds Singleplayer May 27, 2013, 16:44 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2013, 11:27:
My advise to them, reboot the Kickstarter and start it again in September going into October (seems to be the time Kickstarters get the most money), drop all MP features and make them stretch goals, and give us a SP/Instant Skirmish base platform, make editor free to all, allow everyone to host their own servers, allow modding, and stop assuming everyone knows Heavy Gear's story and faction (or remembers that).

If they drop all the MP features, what do people need to host servers for?

Incidentally, There was a HG cartoon that was about nothing other than arena combat. The Wikipedia section on it is kind of funny.

In any case I think you guys are all in an echo chamber and basically just want them to make a game guaranteed to fail. Niche market, complex gameplay, no multiplayer, editor included, features far above and beyond what other games have. But that might be workable in the Kickstarter world since it allows extremists to pay much, much higher than reasonable prices, letting the company get by without making any money on actual sales. Except with an effort to piss off the portion of the niche that actually wants to play against each other (i.e., probable actual Heavy Gear fans).

I mean, if you don't have MP and want them to make the storyline accessible, you're basically asking them to make a big complicated HG game for casuals. And then make the editor free so they can't make any additional money whatsoever. So something like Freespace 2, only less successful and even less multiplayer.

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
23. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:06 Orogogus

It's not trustworthy when anyone can buy it for $250K.

If someone doesn't realize, for example, that Rocksteady's not working on the next Batman game then that's one thing, but I think 16 years is probably long enough for even the most oblivious gamer to realize that something might be fishy.

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
19. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 12:32 Orogogus

As far as storyline goes, Total Annihilation is possibly the most generic game ever made since the 2600 era. I've said this about other brands before (Homeworld comes to mind), but I really, really don't see any benefit to obtaining the IP. Countless examples have shown that you can't copyright gameplay, and there can't possibly be anyone attached to the CORE vs. ARM storyline, at least not enough to wish that a company had spent $250K for the privilege of slapping the brand onto a game.  

News Comments > MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue
41. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 06:57 Orogogus

Golwar wrote on May 23, 2013, 05:00:
NKD wrote on May 23, 2013, 02:22:
Sure, Microsoft doesn't really make first party PC games anymore, but they've done nothing to hinder Windows as a games platform either.

It's still the best platform for making PC games, and will continue to be for the forseeable future unless something drastic happens.

Really? Some would disagree with Windows 8. And there haven't been too few game developers who criticized Microsoft.

Anyway, as paradox as it sounds, Microsoft's treatment of PC gamers is one primary reason why Xbox never had the slightest chance with me.

I don't recall a lot of Win8 criticism that had to do with games. About 80% of it is the lack of a Start Menu, and there was some concern that the marketplace was going to completely replace traditional software installations. Game developers' criticism of Microsoft usually has to do with the 360, I think; has there been a significant developer criticism since Carmack got involved in the OpenGL/Direct3D war?

One thing that's an actual hindrance is that GFWL breaks, or their servers go down, and people can't activate or play their games. And some games require a separate GFWL login, which is stupid. And of course, they originally wanted to charge money for it.

All in all, it's probably best when MS doesn't care about games, as their focused approach is generally awful.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation May 23, 2013, 06:42 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on May 22, 2013, 22:58:
So much for the Kinect spyware implication deniers. Just one recent example of the kind of crap they want to get up to, they just patented the following:

The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.

Break out the tape and block that mic. I'm glad they're coming up with all of these great reasons to own their gaming console Rolleyes

2 years is kind of liberal for "just patented".

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
83. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 18:53 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:16:
Steam has some pretty significant differences with XBox 1.
  • Steam will let you play offline, indefinitely. Xbox will not.

• Yes, your Steam games are tied to your account, which sucks, but since that game likely cost you $5 or $10, do you really care that much? Xbox games take a long time to come down in price, and they never see prices as low as Steam. Example: BL2 was $12 this past weekend on Steam. That was released 6 months ago, and made many GotY honors. XBox version still $40

• Steam games can be played at full resolution. You get to choose hardware, settings, etc. Xbox games are limited to whatever the devs decide3.

• Some nitpicks:

Steam's offline mode has to check in every few weeks, or at least that's the consensus since Valve hasn't been very open about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2287540
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584

It might be a month, it might be 2 weeks. Valve might have changed it without notice. And some people claim to have had computers offline for more than a month without loss of functionality. But there still seems to be general agreement that your certificate or whatever expires after 2-4 weeks, and then you have to log in again to play anything.

Also, the console versions of Borderlands 2 seem to be $30 at Amazon and Gamestop, not $40.

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter
    25. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 13:11 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 02:52:
    All I ever used from MekPak3 was the Salvage Mod + the MechPak 3 mechs (Google it, modifies campaign, adds proper salvage system)

I put it into Google and got basically nothing other than a thread where someone was working on a mod and abandoned it after the functionality was apparently incorporated into the Mekpak 3.1 patch. So I guess that was a thing.

Still, I think their efforts were clearly focused on the multiplayer. Like, overwhelmingly so.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    32. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 12:59 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:50:
    siapnar wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:30:
    SirKnight wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:28:
    What's it supposed to run off? Coal? Just like the 360, you can use regular batteries or buy rechargeable packs. Problem solved.
    Yep, run off coal. Just like the PS3 controller.

Evilgrin

Eh. I have the 360 Play and Charge kit, making it exactly like the PS3, but in practice if the controller ends up uncharged then I'm screwed, whereas I always have batteries charged. Nowadays I generally don't use the charging kit. I guess I could buy a longer USB cord, but I don't see it as flat-out superior.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Announced
    5. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Announced May 22, 2013, 02:02 Orogogus

Games Workshop is pretty damn stingy with its IPs. In the past 10 years 40K has had 2 Dawn of War games, that third person shooter and a portable game. Warhammer Fantasy hasn't even been that lucky. It's hardly anything like, say, Star Wars, with its LEGO games, Kinect title, Soul Calibur characters, Angry Birds tie-in, MMORPG, card game, etc.

The question is really, why aren't they shopping their IPs around to more developers? Just with 40K, there's been nothing that's touched Battlefleet Gothic or Necromunda, 1 game that had Titans at all, races which have only ever been used in the first Dawn of War, nothing in the Horus Heresy or other past eras, and so on. There's a ton of room for "diluting the IP," but somehow the big RPG and tabletop houses are all sitting on their properties despite their captive demographics.

23. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 01:28 Orogogus

Double post  

22. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 01:25 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 00:10:
    What's shocking is the guys from MekPak 3 going a FULL MP route though... you'd think they more than anyone would do proper AI/SP first.

I have no idea why you would think that based on the MekPaks. Those were first and foremost for the multiplayer. Getting the 'Mechs in SP was a kludgy affair of buying up and selling all of one of the 'Mechs that came with the game.

As far as I know MekTek never did a campaign and their bot AI only worked in multiplayer. They made multiplayer-only maps and new multiplayer gametypes. They made a replacement for the multiplayer game finder after Microsoft abandoned ZoneMatch.

Do you have them confused with someone else? Because seriously, if I had to think of a team more who would make a multiplayer-only game, it would totally be MekTek. Well, them and the teams who made Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Natural Selection, etc., but still.

19. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 17:51 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:25:
    Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2013, 14:02:
    Unless they are, and you're wrong. On the side of MP-only you have TF2, CS, all the MOBAs, Battlefield, plus games that might as well not exist without MP (Starcraft, Call of Duty). Whatever's bad about CoD, every tenant I've had who was in the military has had an Xbox to play CoD with his friends and/or relatives.

And on the flip side the sci-fi giant robot/spaceship genre is pretty damned niche. Freespace 2 is regarded as best in class, but was one of the big commercial flops of the PC game industry. I don't know how the Mechwarrior games have sold, but it can't be that spectacular if every single numbered title has had a different development team.

I don't really have any interest in a MP-only title, either, but the audience for SP really might not be large enough for anything other than smaller, much less ambitious games with much less than cutting-edge graphics. And, well, hilariously grandiose Kickstarters, but that one might surprise me.

And yet you have games on the horizon like GTA5, which will probably sink a quarter billion into development and be a primarily single-player game. All of the games that are attracting attention and buzz are single-player focused games: Watchdogs and assassin's creed games (yeah there's multiplayer but that's not the focus draw), Bioshock Infinite was SP only and lit the charts on fire. If we dig into the previous year there's all kinds of SP centric games that did gangbusters: Far Cry 3 lived on it's SP, as did Dishonored, as did x-com, which again had MP but was not the primary draw for the game.

There's *plenty* of market for single player games. They're just harder to make than a multiplayer centric game. With an online MP only game, you have to balance the game (which is a big enough problem for most devs). With SP, you have to balance the game AND make interesting, engaging content.

I feel everything you listed has the advantages of 1) not being niche (excepting X-COM, which was still made as friendly as possible in this iteration), and 2) releasing on consoles. I don't know if it's really true that only SP games are attracting attention and buzz; I know Blue's is a microcosm, but there's something of a anti-console faction here which won't touch any console game, won't fund Kickstarters which promise a console port, etc., which shuts down basically the entire field of single player action games.

With a game like Heavy Gear, a SP game would have a non-standard playstyle, and there might just be a really low ceiling on how many copies you're going to sell. As you said, they're harder (i.e., more expensive) to make and without making it as accessible as all those games you listed, there might not be a way to get your ROI.

There are bright spots, like Strike Suit Zero. Extremely small (13 non-branching missions, I think?), not very extravagant, and funded through Kickstarter. But people seem fickle about the "right" way to use Kickstarter. It gets you access to money that you might not be able to make in the market, including people who really are willing to spend $100 or $500 or more on their dream product, but then on the other hand it seems pretty easy to offend people. I don't think Heavy Gear has the star power needed for the giant money pitch, but Mechwarrior probably does.

917 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 15.
    < Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo