Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 996 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
37. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 00:26 Orogogus

Ecthelion wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 21:08:
Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:18:
I find it difficult to believe the Xbox One controller can do 40 hours per battery charge too, the PS4 controller is rated at between 8-10 hours full charge to drained. The PS4 controller is only a minor annoyance for me because I was so used to the Dual Shock 3 doing 20-30 hours with that huge battery it had. I wish it was longer but realistically it's not going to affect real world usage much, particularly when most households will have 2 controllers.
Last generation I only owned a PS3 and a Wii. I loved the DS3 (and still do) because every few nights, I just set it in my charging cradle (the official Sony one, not third party crap like I always see for the Wii, so I can't vouch for how well they work). I've never had the battery level drop below 2/3rds full. The DS4 only lasting 8-10 hours is a bummer, but for everyone who games less than that a day (which is most of us I think), it just means charging it every night, which is par for the course for most smartphones. So it's manageable.

What I don't understand is how nobody except me seems to care about game controllers with removable batteries. I have never seen it as a negative point in system reviews, and most gamers just seem to accept it. I hate having to replace batteries, so the first thing I did with my Wii was put rechargeable double A's in the controllers. As anyone who has used these knows, they leave a lot to be desired. If I don't play the Wii for a few weeks, the batteries are dead. So my choices are either use regular batteries that I'll have to replace fairly often, or use rechargeable ones that don't hold a charge very long. Does this not piss anyone else off? I'd like to think I'm not a fanboy, but when I saw Microsoft decided to go with removable batteries AGAIN for the new Xbox I mentally added it to the points against the system.

I'll take an easily rechargeable battery that needs to be charged every night over a controller that needs to have batteries taken out and replaced/recharged every few weeks. This is why I didn't buy a Gameboy Advance until the SP came out. It just feels like such a technological step back to use regular batteries. I guess Microsoft sees more value in longer life per charge/battery than not having to keep swapping them out.

I like batteries better, personally, and I count fancy charging solutions as a minus. My TV's a little far from the couch, so whenever a charging controller did run out of power then I just couldn't play. If I had the discipline to walk it back to the console after every session I wouldn't have the problem, but there you go. I always have rechargeable batteries ready, though. Situation not universally applicable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com
19. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 16:24 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:51:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:28:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:21:
Boston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:32:
I got Armada at the time, but it was a terrible, terrible game. Just a cheap cash-in on the Wing Commander name.

Hmmm... I don't remember much about the game, but I have fond memories of enjoying split-screen multiplayer in Armada. I think it was the only game in the series to have that particular feature.

It did. That was also all it had. There was basically nothing else.

It had co-op play (over NETBIOS, I think) which made it unique all the way up to... Starlancer, I think.

But what could you do in that co-op play? It was just skirmishes against X number of Dralthis, X number of corvettes, etc. There was little to no point to any of it. Wing Commander was as much about its story and its wingmen as it ever was about the actual battles.

Armada removed all of that and turned it into a shitty version of Xwing vs Tie Fighter.

I'm not disagreeing that it was a shitty game. I bought it back in the day and felt ripped off. The main game was really crap. But co-op in this genre, even just waves co-op, is nearly as unique as split screen.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 13:36 Orogogus

PS3s were relatively stable as far as I know. It was the previous generations where PS2s were noted for drive failures, and the Playstation for overheating because of vents on the bottom or something -- for the longest time I thought they were supposed to be stood on end, and then 15 years later that's how all the consoles were being sold. By the time of the PS3 it seems they had the hardware side mostly ironed out.  

14. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 13:28 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:21:
Boston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:32:
I got Armada at the time, but it was a terrible, terrible game. Just a cheap cash-in on the Wing Commander name.

Hmmm... I don't remember much about the game, but I have fond memories of enjoying split-screen multiplayer in Armada. I think it was the only game in the series to have that particular feature.

It did. That was also all it had. There was basically nothing else.

It had co-op play (over NETBIOS, I think) which made it unique all the way up to... Starlancer, I think.

11. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 13:06 Orogogus

Parias wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:47:
InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:38:
Im tempted with Prophecy, but isnt there basically a free standalone total conversion MOD for Freespace2 that does the same thing and looks much much better?

It's based around a different story though, isn't it? I'd honestly play through both if you want the complete Wing Commander experience since these games are all about story. From my perspective, I don't think I can see them as the same thing as all just because they offer pretty diverse experiences.

Prophecy and the Freespace 2 mod's flight models and controls don't really feel the same, either, if that matters to you. Prophecy is a zippy, fast-paced space action game, Freespace and Saga feel a little more heavy and ponderous.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 12:58 Orogogus

Pigeon wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:13:
Xbox draws less power when in use, except it is always on, so it draws more power. What an achievement in energy conservation.

Aren't the PS3 and Wii both always-on machines? Is the PS4 not?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 15:09 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:59:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:35:
If there are multiple gamebreaking bugs and the campaign bugs out, it seems to me that it's more likely that the game was pushed out the door, bugs notwithstanding. The alternative is that the testers aren't even playing the game.

With a 7 year development cycle, and the 'beta' getting in the hands of the level 5 guys over a year ago, I'm going to guess that "pushed out the door" is probably not what happened.

No? Games can languish in development hell and still release as buggy messes. It's not a matter of time; it's a matter of whether it's done or not. X:R is clearly not done. Either they knew the game didn't meet release quality and released it anyway -- pushed out the door -- or they were genuinely blindsided by campaign stopping bugs, trading failing all the time, most people unable to get through the tutorial, etc., because their none of their testers brought these issues to light. It's somewhat hard to believe the latter scenario when the game isn't even fun to play in its current state.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 14:35 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:29:
(they've at least identified, or think they have, the issue with the terrible performance, once again proving that the level 5 'testers' don't test for fucking shit and instead just play the game)

If there are multiple gamebreaking bugs and the campaign bugs out, it seems to me that it's more likely that the game was pushed out the door, bugs notwithstanding. The alternative is that the testers aren't even playing the game.

News Comments > No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals
36. Re: No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals Nov 19, 2013, 21:17 Orogogus

nin wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 15:25:
It is locked at 30fps, any attempt to unlock it results in the game's speed increasing along with the frame rate, making it unplayable and causing the physics to go haywire.

1989 says "Hi"!

No, no, Mechwarrior 3 has this physics issue, too, and that was 1999.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
34. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 12, 2013, 16:51 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 15:29:
Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:48:
El Pit wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 04:41:
bigspender wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 04:07:
El Pit wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 02:13:
You see another ship floating in space.
You enter the ship.
A member of your crew gets killed. You can't do nothing about it and didn't know this could happen.
This happens 3 times in one playthrough. You exit the game. You uninstall it.
Why did you do it another 2 times after it failed the first time? lol.

Either way its a rogue-like, if you can even make it to the boss you've done very well

Have you ever played the game? Because you can find useful stuff in those space ships. And very often you depend on that stuff.

So you want all reward and no risk?

Yes, Beamer, exactly. I want a button saying "press to win". /facepalm

So, it depends on your crew whether you should board those spacecrafts? Okay, my bad, didn't know this. When exactly does the game teach you this? Played almost through and never got that tip/tutorial by the game.

It's not always crew, sometimes it's equipment, or upgraded systems. I think most or every crew type, piece of equipment or upgraded system (like, sensors) has an encounter geared towards it. If you meet the requirement, it will be a blue option, and will (I think) always have good results. If you don't have it then you have to roll the dice, which for me usually results in eaten crew members or a damaged ship. So I might try them when starting out, otherwise pass unless I have the blue option.

Ah, it's all laid out on the wiki if you don't mind spoilers:
http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Options

Edit:
The non-blue options aren't 100% fail. I would guess that they're 50%, and that the bad results (usually loss of crewmembers) generally outweigh the benefits of scrap or whatever from good results.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 16:59.

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
16. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 12:37 Orogogus

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 10:29:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 10:27:
Uh, in WC2 the two sides were IDENTICAL until castle phase, and then bloodlust was the only significant difference between Horde and Alliance.

And why is this a big project, Blizzard? WC1 works great in DosBOX, and WC2 still works out of the box, last time I checked.

They said, "side project", not big. :)>

One update they might include would be TCP/IP play for PCs. I only ever played it over LAN, and Wikipedia says that while Macs had TCP/IP, PCs went through Kali.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 13:41 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:09:
I don't support pouring a lot of money into it until someone comes up with an action plan that involves China and India.

In most graphs of CO2 emissions that I've seen, there are only two major players -- China and the US. Everyone else is in a pile sitting at the baseline of the graph. India does show up in graphs of methane, but usually the climate change discussion centers on CO2. And the tone is usually that China doesn't get to be an industrialized nation until they find some way to cut their population in third. Per capita the US emits nearly 4 times the CO2 of China, and it's not hard to argue that it ties into China's ability to raise its population out of poverty levels.

EPA graph
Graph at Nature
Table & per capita comparison

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
60. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 30, 2013, 14:36 Orogogus

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 13:07:
Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:18:
I can't believe someone wrote a wall of text over Megaton. Internet you never stop surprising me.

It was more just rage over being told to "read about the Cold War" when the guy in question pretty obviously didn't know much about nuclear strategy or the technologies that fueled it.

It's kind of unbelievable how much you've destructed your more-or-less argument that normal, sane people thought Fallout 3 was bad. Holy crap.

News Comments > LEGO Marvel Superheroes Demo
9. Re: LEGO Marvel Superheroes Demo Oct 23, 2013, 02:30 Orogogus

DDI wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 20:26:
Just about every game that will be available on Steam shows up on the coming soon list. It's pretty close to release and there's no sign of it being available on Steam. There is one other Lego game for whatever reason was not released on Steam and is available for PC, the Pirates of the Caribbean game. So there's a precedent.

Welp, coming soon or not, it's up now.

News Comments > LEGO Marvel Superheroes Demo
3. Re: LEGO Marvel Superheroes Demo Oct 14, 2013, 13:37 Orogogus

DDI wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 12:06:
Why are they giving Steam the finger for this?

So they can dump the demo on the Internet with a minimum of fuss, I assume. I don't think there's any reason not to expect it on Steam when the full game hits.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 11:23 Orogogus

btallas wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:43:
Funny thing, if it was announced that Microsoft was doing this (and they probably are), people here would be clamoring for them to be shut down because of slave labor. Sony does it and it's a funny joke.

No, that would definitely be Apple. When the Foxconn stories originally broke it was Apple and they got a ton of flak for it. When it was pointed out that there are like 60+ well-known multinationals using Foxconn, the general response was basically "Yes, but fuck Apple."

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Oct 7, 2013, 17:38 Orogogus

Well, Elite II is one of the only games other than KSS where you have planets orbiting the sun, moons orbiting the planets, space stations orbiting the moons. And it's one of the rare games that lets you fly down to the surface of a planet (or sun), although of course there's not a whole lot down there. You could do gravitational slingshot maneuvers. And there was really boring Newtonian combat.

X is clearly more than an unimaginative Elite clone, but on the other hand I wouldn't say it lets you do everything that you could in Elite (well, the original Elite, yes, but still).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Flashback
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Flashback Oct 2, 2013, 00:08 Orogogus

Dialed down the challenge? I'm terrible at platformers, and I don't remember this being hard.

On the other hand, what I do remember is it being fun at the beginning and then by some point you fight blobby shapeshifters and the whole game became roll roll shoot roll roll roll shoot roll shoot etc. etc.

News Comments > Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend
23. Re: Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 17:15 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 15:25:
I thought the A:CM thing was a one game thing, apparently your whole attitude is that if you like a game everyone else must like it or there is something wrong with them. It is like history is repeating itself or something...

I don't know if this is a board secret or anything, but Darks is really, really big on co-op play. I'm sure he considers other factors, but I think 95% of the time if a game doesn't have co-op play it goes straight in the "dismiss" pile, and if it has it he'll defend it in the face of the entire Internet.

News Comments > Stardock Lawsuits Settled
4. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 18:25 Orogogus

Icewind wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 18:11:
She basically admitted that she was in the wrong by deleting the data. Sounds like she was just trying to screw him over for something job related. Been there before, saw this kind of thing.

If this story gets posted on Kotaku you'll have 5,000 angry women and 25,000 single 30-something males screaming about how this is unfair and Wardell should be hung.

I'll wait and see if they post it...

You know that Blue is reporting based on the Kotaku article, right?

996 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo