Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 933 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 10, 2013, 14:58 Orogogus

Four, but yeah.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/140726/morning-consolidation

Maybe it just took effect now?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 10, 2013, 14:55 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:41:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 04:50:
Sony not expecting PS3-like losses for PS4.

Shit, I should hope not. You're using standard off the shelf hardware, after all.

Sony has actually done quite a bit of work to their hardware so that it really doesn't match "off the shelf" hardware anymore.

They say that, but it's been hard to see much difference in the past. The Emotion Engine apparently let it play Final Fantasy 8 cutscenes, and the Cell processor was good for SETI@home or whatever instead of linking with all your kitchen appliances. The most tangible result of the work they do to nonstandardize their hardware is proprietary memory sticks for their handhelds.

News Comments > Wasteland Re-release Plans
5. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:39 Orogogus

They could package it with DOSBOX (Steam's SOP with old DOS games) with mouse disabled and ignore the sound. It will run and you can beat the game. The save system thinks you've got floppies, but it uses the hard drive fine; a modern save system would be aces. It's just a pretty janky experience is all.

The manual thing is what they really ought to fix, if they can. It's probably the most unpleasant part of replaying the game.

News Comments > Wasteland Re-release Plans
3. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:31 Orogogus

It could stand to be cleaned up, or more probably rewritten from scratch. In the original DOS release that came with my Interplay collection, using the mouse sends you flying across the map unless you apply a lot of moslo, sound (including the Geiger counter) comes out through the internal speaker, the save system thinks you've got floppy drives, you have to manually recopy files to start a new game after the first playthrough, and you have to look up most of the text descriptions in the game manual.  

News Comments > Strife Announced
34. Re: Strife Announced Aug 9, 2013, 20:58 Orogogus

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 19:42:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 16:59:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 15:42:
flechett3 wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:56:
There was STRIFE and there was another game that was much more of an RPG that was set in a fantasy setting. I don't think the fantasy RPG one used the doom engine (or anything based off of it) but it WAS a 2.5d doom-like engine. Wish I could remember the name of it. Had to be before '98 the last time I saw or played the game.

They all ran on the Doom engine, even Strife. Strife was the last game made on the Doom engine but was released after Quake came out so it looked really dated by the time it was released which really hurt it.

Strife was really ahead of its time too. A real story, killing everything was a Bad thing, multiple endings, could buy supplies. Nothing remotely like it before then.

System Shock, Ultima Underworld I & II, Pathways into Darkness, Terminator: Future Shock and Marathon I & II were all pre-Strife and more advanced in many ways. None of them had multiple endings, though.

Most of those aren't FPS games, and the ones that are still followed along the lines of "everything must die".

The only ones that might not be shooters are the Underworld games, which do everything a shooter does and more. Everything else on the list is definitely a shooter. System Shock had respawning enemies so you couldn't kill everything. Terminator: Future Shock generally had more enemies than you could kill. And Future Shock and the Marathon games had friendlies that you weren't supposed to kill. Pathways was kill everything, but now that I think about it, it did have multiple endings.

News Comments > Strife Announced
32. Re: Strife Announced Aug 9, 2013, 16:59 Orogogus

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 15:42:
flechett3 wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:56:
There was STRIFE and there was another game that was much more of an RPG that was set in a fantasy setting. I don't think the fantasy RPG one used the doom engine (or anything based off of it) but it WAS a 2.5d doom-like engine. Wish I could remember the name of it. Had to be before '98 the last time I saw or played the game.

They all ran on the Doom engine, even Strife. Strife was the last game made on the Doom engine but was released after Quake came out so it looked really dated by the time it was released which really hurt it.

Strife was really ahead of its time too. A real story, killing everything was a Bad thing, multiple endings, could buy supplies. Nothing remotely like it before then.

System Shock, Ultima Underworld I & II, Pathways into Darkness, Terminator: Future Shock and Marathon I & II were all pre-Strife and more advanced in many ways. None of them had multiple endings, though.

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
49. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 18:53 Orogogus

The X3 games had main quests. I think it's generally agreed that they're kind of garbage, aside from doing a few storyline missions to get free equipment.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
20. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 20:37 Orogogus

On further reflection can we maybe just write this one off as Old Man Cutter at it again, ha ha ha, and not have another sexism in the video game industry thread already?  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 6, 2013, 18:31 Orogogus

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:54:
Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:49:
Yeah, just like Julie Larson Green. Oh no, she's eminently qualified for the job and it has nothing to do with her looks. What a rousing success Windows 8 is! Rolleyes

When you call a company on this sort of bullshit - and the world is rife with it in every sector - it's fact, not sexism. Same reason you see plenty of incompetent yet still handsome CEOs who are the public face of the company. I never said it applies only to women, it's just easier for them to get ahead based solely on their looks. And while Raymond may not be incompetent she also wouldn't be where she is if she didn't look as good as she does. Think she'd be in charge if she was dumpy, fat little chick? Negro please.

Here's the thing, marketing budgets are out of control these days, big publisher budgets are out of control these days, that's why they're afraid of the indies success with making cheaper to make games, which are often throw backs to old school titles that people still want to play that the EA's and Take-Two's won't take a chance on.

But hey it's because of sexism or whatever social justice focal point of the week this week is. The whole entire world is against women according to some people.

...is it that you think Cutter and Beamer are the same person, is how we're supposed to be reading your posts? It's kind of incomprehensible otherwise.

It's very clear that Cutter is not saying that the world is against women.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 Clues?
32. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 3 Clues? Aug 6, 2013, 17:36 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:26:
MindStalker3 wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:03:
Numinar wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:20:
Stiff competition that you would need a mighty nice design doc/bucket load of technical goodies (Fully destructible everything and next-gen dynamic AI!) to want to take them on with.

Why would you really WANT fully destructible everything in a story based single player? It really ruins the ability to tell a story if you can go everywhere and do anything. GTA quasi pulls it off, but its a different beast entirely. Yes, multiple paths, but fully destructible means open world

That's not true at all. You could easily have enough destructibility, to the point where it merits the description "fully-destructible," without it being open world. You would have to use some unbreakable rock or whatever enveloping the borders of a linear-ish level, but it's doable. Red Faction: Armageddon did it, though only to about 20% of the potential (badly needed terrain deformation).

"Fully destructible everything" is where the bar is being set, though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 5, 2013, 12:56 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 22:14:
Beamer wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 20:52:
Well, a lot of those sales were Steam sales,

No, they weren't. Of the ~ 90ish weeks that Skyrim has been in the top 10, it's been on sale for fewer than ~20 of those. The rest of those weeks it's simply been full price.

Well, yes and no. Steam sales themselves only account for a few weeks, but people here often buy from GMG, GG, etc. It looks like it's been possible to get Steam-unlockable copies for less than list price about 60-70% of those 90 weeks all told:

http://www.steamgamesales.com/Yj4qH/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

News Comments > MouseCraft Alpha and Trailer
21. Re: MouseCraft Alpha and Trailer Aug 1, 2013, 16:18 Orogogus

If you're someone who types in your email and password every time you post, the ignore option doesn't show up unless you check the "Remember Me" box.  

News Comments > Space Hulk Preorders
23. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 29, 2013, 00:37 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 22:18:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 00:31:
In any case, what co-op turn-based strategy games do people have such good memories of that it's such a make-or-break feature here?

I'm dying for them... They say they don't make them because they are slow. Well it's the closest thing to table top gaming, turn-based coop. And since I can't get together in person anymore... Connect the fuckin dots already. Since table top games are on fire right now, I have to assume there is really an untapped coop turn-based market.

Tabletop, like 40K or Warmachine? Wouldn't the closest thing to those be turn-based versus play? I feel like definitions aren't matching up. What tabletop coop games are on fire? Some of the new Kickstarted ones?

20. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 28, 2013, 12:17 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 02:43:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 21:40:
Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:29:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:02:
Here is a dev post from the game's Community Hub on Steam as well:

Yes - we have both hotseat and online coop as well as versus mode. Versus mode ships in the release version, coop is a free update after launch

As Dev said, I'm optimistic, but I've been burnt in the past too on this. Ill wait it out. If it happens Ill buy it until then, sorry no dice.

Funny, how one thing like this can really cause a train wreck for a game. Too bad the devs didn't see this coming.

A train wreck? I like cooperative play a lot a lot, but in a turn-based strategy game it's pretty minor to me. I really can't imagine it being a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

You're obviously unfamiliar with the history of Space Hulk then.

No, I played a ton of it. The first two editions of the game were sold as two player games; they don't give you markers and command dice for a second Marine player, although it's easy enough to scrounge your own. The first computer game was what got me into 40K, although the second was kind of crap.

I haven't played 3rd edition, though. I don't follow Armengar's talk of suspensors and sideblades, so possibly I missed a major overhaul there. So what is the history of coop in Space Hulk, then?

15. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 28, 2013, 00:31 Orogogus

Tumbler wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 22:09:
Looking forward to seeing some let's play videos. I like what I see so far but no Co op mp or even vs stuff is sad.

Blue's post, the Steam page and the quote from the developer below say there's online vs play and that it's included at release.

EDIT: The posts here are kind of weird after seeing so many people compelled to shit in every thread for the four or five MP-only games and Kickstarters. Here's a SP game that promises to add more MP features later -- exactly like people suggest ad nauseum in the MWO threads -- and it's just a string of people saying they're going to wait for a Steam sale because it lacks online co-op.

In any case, what co-op turn-based strategy games do people have such good memories of that it's such a make-or-break feature here?

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2013, 00:42.

11. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 27, 2013, 21:40 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:29:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:02:
Here is a dev post from the game's Community Hub on Steam as well:

Yes - we have both hotseat and online coop as well as versus mode. Versus mode ships in the release version, coop is a free update after launch

As Dev said, I'm optimistic, but I've been burnt in the past too on this. Ill wait it out. If it happens Ill buy it until then, sorry no dice.

Funny, how one thing like this can really cause a train wreck for a game. Too bad the devs didn't see this coming.

A train wreck? I like cooperative play a lot a lot, but in a turn-based strategy game it's pretty minor to me. I really can't imagine it being a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 27, 2013, 00:38 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:22:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 19:33:
Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 18:02:
Then they started offering packs that were better than the founder packs, for cheaper... Yeah the devs bitchslapped their most dedicated customers.

I've looked at F2P games that do the opposite, and it really kills any desire to throw a single cent into a game if you're permanently worse than people who started earlier. And if the stuff at launch is better than everything afterwards I can't imagine it helps them squeeze more money from those guys, either.

Which is why you shouldn't do pay to win shit like this. You either alienate your most devoted audience or you piss off people who come in after the fact.

Sure. But by definition the devoted audience is more likely to stick around, and keep buying stuff. And it's possible that they want to see more toys added into the mix rather than beating up newbies with their founder status until the servers die. You can look at it as buying a founder's advantage for a few months instead of forever and ever. Plus you probably get a badge or something. The alternative would kill the game -- pay to win might be ugly, but pay to suck is total insanity.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 19:33 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 18:02:
Then they started offering packs that were better than the founder packs, for cheaper... Yeah the devs bitchslapped their most dedicated customers.

I've looked at F2P games that do the opposite, and it really kills any desire to throw a single cent into a game if you're permanently worse than people who started earlier. And if the stuff at launch is better than everything afterwards I can't imagine it helps them squeeze more money from those guys, either.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Saints Row IV
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 20:07 Orogogus

Rigs wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 18:59:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:27:
Rigs wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:09:
Wait, wait, wait.

It's going gold on July 24th and not going to be released until nearly a month later? WTF?!?

=-Rigs-=

Pressing disks and shipping them off to retailers doesn't happen overnight.

Yeah but it don't take a frakin' month either...

=-Rigs-=

Plugging "Gone Gold" into the site search engine, it seems like it often does take a month. Omerta, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, Deus Ex HR all took about a month. Bioshock Infinite took 5 weeks.

And sometimes it doesn't. Mass Effect 3 apparently took about a week, but it seems to be an outlier.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released
36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:38 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 05:08:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:50:
Didn't the queen tear off her entire egg laying apparatus before going after Ripley, well before she was anywhere near the dropship?

It's another common question and adds to how the egg got there in the first place. Only real answer is, we don't know if a Queen can lay eggs without the whole apparatus. So suspension of disbelief says it's possible.

If that's the case, having the egg sac in the movie at all is kind of dumb. What would be the point of showing her laying the egg, and then tearing off the sac before going after Ripley? It would be like Schwarzenegger in Predator going all low tech, setting up all his traps and arrows and what not, and then going into the climactic matchup just to pull out a minigun and mow down the predator.

Regarding Alien 3, I like to think it would be possible to build off the second movie without simply retelling the same story. The old comic books went to a pretty weird place, but at least there was a progression. Alien 3 rehashed Alien to such an extent that you could expect the third one to have an alien invading a circus, or taking Manhattan, or so on. Other than style and atmosphere, what does it add to the story? Even disregarding the second movie, why is it important that the main character is Ripley, or that the monster is a xenomorph instead of a velociraptor? Even if I thought Aliens was terrible, what did Alien 3 add to the first movie?

Or is it like when people say that a Transformers movie is all good as long as it has giant robots and explosions?

933 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo