Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 831 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 19, 2013, 12:07 Orogogus

Well, you messed up the joke. It would go, that's what, $2.7 gazillion jillion pesos? It's all screen-door-on-a-battleship when the numbers on both sides are in US dollars.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
16. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 02:48 Orogogus

cento wrote on May 17, 2013, 20:47:
Cutter wrote on May 17, 2013, 20:02:
I knew they were full of shit. Yeah, 1 million registered to try the beta and 100 sales.

For all we know, Defiance may have sold 1mil copies. Unfortunately, for a big budget title released to console, 1million sold is NOT a success. For a console title, too little of the revenue actually goes to the developer. And I seem to recall hearing that Defiance's best-selling platform was on 360 - would have been better if those sales were all PC and the profit margin better.

That's as tenuous as publishers treating pirated copies as lost sales. If anything console sales are even less likely to be lost sales, since at least most of the people pirating can actually run the game. Unless for some reason porting represents a huge chunk of the budget, it's more likely that the end result would simply have been losing the majority of its best-selling platform with little increase in revenue.

And from a pure PC perspective, for a second or third tier developer it's hard to think of a niche more destined for failure than "big budget MMORPG."

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support
11. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 00:55 Orogogus

SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:12:
And what do you mean by cereal?

Cereal is the kids' slang for serious or seriously nowadays, in the same vein as jelly for jealous.

News Comments > Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week
8. Re: Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week May 3, 2013, 23:29 Orogogus

An FX2 developer said it's because they're publishing through Microsoft now, and they're not subject to Greenlight.

I feel like the Pinball Arcade guys have demonstrated some pretty serious deficiencies in the past. When they're on their game, they're great, but at other times it's pretty dismal in gameplay, graphics, UI and bugs. Their ports can be especially bad, and release dates and quality on release can be a crapshoot.

Unfortunately, "some of the most hilariously bad pinball physics around" only means that FX2 isn't as good as the only other player in the market right now, Pinball Arcade. Pinball Arcade has a pretty big nostalgia advantage, but even so I'd be hesitant to put them head and shoulders above FX2.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 29, 2013, 13:22 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:14:
Especially because piracy raises sales....

What, like, every single time, no question whatsoever? I don't know if that really seems any more credible than the MPAA/RIAA's opposite stance.

Regarding the game content: I haven't played either game, but the company's motto referenced in the article seems to suggest that Game Dev Story has Farmville-ish social aspects, and part of the point of this game was to eliminate or minimize those. Social games are definitely on the Blues bitch-list, so if this is a clone, it sounds like the kind of clone that people have asked for.

News Comments > Expeditions: Conquistador Delayed
3. Re: Expeditions: Conquistador Delayed Apr 12, 2013, 12:34 Orogogus

Colonization is hardly the same genre as those other games, and the '90s aren't really recent. Gold of the Americas came out in 1989, 24 years ago, and I think Seven Cities of Gold was a DOS booter. By way of contrast, Homeworld 2 came out in 2004, and people kind of won't shut up about a sequel.

But yeah, these guys have at best an iffy record.

News Comments > Stardock Plans "At Least" Two Game Announcements
36. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 11, 2013, 04:31 Orogogus

draginol wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 21:29:
I'd say that different people have different preferences. Say you joined Stardock and hated dogs and demanded that we stop allowing dogs at work. You'd get told to find another job probably. In that case you might find the environment hostile.

On the other hand, if you asked that we keep dogs away from your area then we'd make sure dogs were kept away from your area.

That's not really analogous. The reason there are workplace harassment laws is more like if there's one Polish employees and all day long everyone is telling Polish jokes behind his back. Or if word gets around that the CEO of a company regularly makes jabs at Mormons in upper management meetings; it's a hostile environment for any Mormons at the company regardless of whether anything is said to them directly.

30. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 21:16 Orogogus

That's not conclusive; there are horrific stories about working in the games industry, stories which wouldn't exist if people were able to jump ship whenever they wanted. And I've worked with people who've been at companies carrying on with wildly inappropriate policies, tacit or not, regarding religion or ethnicity. Usually most people don't want to rock the boat, and people who actually work on projects are generally less likely than most to become disgruntled (apparently unless that project was Bioshock: Infinite).  

28. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 20:48 Orogogus

That doesn't mean that women can't work there, any more than they couldn't work in the bad old days, any more than there weren't African-Americans doing great things in sports in hostile environments. But from your own postings, you acknowledged that you make off-color jokes in the workplace, and that you considered it your right as owner to do so. People can put up with that; but they shouldn't have to.  

25. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 10, 2013, 20:22 Orogogus

I thought the UPS/Glenn Beck thing was extremely minor (albeit hypocritical, as pointed out) compared to the sexual harassment suit, where his own defense of his actions came across less as patient and more as completely insane. Completely disregarding the complaint, his defense alone made Stardock sound like no place for a woman to work.  

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
27. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 01:45 Orogogus

To throw another one out there: The reason you (or at least a lot of people) can't file taxes online directly with the federal and state governments, and for free, is because Intuit lobbies heavily to keep it the way it is so they can keep selling Quicken. Pisses me off to no end every single year.

A few years ago California (or maybe just San Diego) was going to make efiling free for low income residents, but a Republican bloc in Intuit's pocket put a block on separate legislation funding shelters for victims of domestic violence until the tax filing assistance program was scrapped.

In this day and age there's no reason why the US and state governments can't make an easy portal for tax filing, but Intuit is basically the DeBeers of the tax preparation in world. Utter scum, although I hear they're nice to their employees.

===

EDIT: Honorable mention does have to go to the Internet providers in the US, fighting tooth and nail against state-subsidized broadband while maintaining cozy local monopolies dedicated to terrible, terrible service. AT&T in particular with its awful download caps for anyone who doesn't want a goddamned U-Verse package.

It is kind of weird that people are defending this poll. It's clearly not any more valid than, say, Mountain Dew's online poll to name their new flavor ("Hitler did nothing wrong" being the runaway winner).

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2013, 01:52.

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
5. Re: EA Apr 9, 2013, 21:15 Orogogus

commonperson wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:08:
Honestly what this tells me that a)the sample pool is invalid and b)The Consumerist is rubbish. I'm sorry, but in no way does anything that EA has done in it's worst imaginings stack up against Bank of America or any of those other companies. It's crap like this that make gamers look like fools.

Ya. Crossing out "EA's business practices" and subbing in "the Consumerist" presents the question a lot of people are really thinking.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
10. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:13 Orogogus

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 11:48:
Oh come on, there's an easy way to figure this out. Just pretend to announce a new NOLF game and wait to see who sues you.

The risk would be if no one says anything, leaving GOG or whoever to possibly still get sued after the game goes up.

News Comments > Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars Kickstarter
1. Re: Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars Kickstarter Apr 4, 2013, 13:07 Orogogus

I was never able to play the second game very long because I couldn't get the hang of combat. The first game was straightforward enough, but in the second basic readouts of health and shields were moved from a fixed readout to mouseover only, and I was unable to cope. How did people manage this? Having to constantly mouseover to know when everyone's shields were getting low completely messed up my ability to control my ships without pausing every second.  

News Comments > LucasArts Closed
68. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 19:10 Orogogus

Fantaz wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 18:40:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:11:
Rattlehead wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:34:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:20:
Rattlehead wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:19:
Welp, there goes any hopes of a proper kotor sequel. Thanks Disney.

Uh... how so?

LucasArts didn't make them.
Because Disney is a shit company that like all the other swine of the industry sees no profit in traditional games anymore and believes all the money is in micro transactions, F2P and mobile games. I highly doubt they will give EA, Bioware or Obsidian the rights to another large production AAA game, especially on a scale of something like KoToR or ToR.

I truly believe the future of Star Wars games are the lego series, upcoming movie tie ins, and shit facebook games. You can kiss goodbye high production Star Wars games, because Disney doesn't believe in that kind of shit. Hell I don't even think we will SEE another Star Wars game until the next Abrahms movie is out.

What do you even know about Disney as a gaming company? I mean, what is any of this based on?

I'd say he based it off very good observations... so good that I'd definitely say there is some truth there. It's also becoming a trend, and I do notice Disney loves their mobile gaming division a lot more and just say fuck off to any triple 'A' titles probably also partly due to the rising costs of next-gen PS4/720. I just think that they could've handled this better instead of cutting 150 jobs like that... kind of heartless when you'd think they'd have a shitload of money to fund a company like that for at least another few decades.

Would it kill you to post independently verifiable facts? Disney has never been a particularly strong force in gaming. Outside of Kingdom Hearts and inevitable movie tie-ins they don't have any strong mark in the field, because generally speaking their properties aren't a great fit. What AAA titles have they blown off? Marvel and Star Wars on the other hand are good fits, and they haven't crushed this year's upcoming Marvel games (although that MMORPG is obviously on the standard road to failure), and they say they want to license out Star Wars. What's the evidence to the contrary?

Jerykk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:57:
If this were the 90's, this would be terrible news. However, LucasArts has been a hollow shell of itself for the past decade. The only good games they've been involved with are the ones they licensed to third-party developers like Bioware and Raven.

Starwars 1313 looked like a really promising upcoming game that was being developed, so that's disappointing...

I thought 1313 looked like more crap coasting on the popularity of the license, personally. From the previews: "the game will feature a combination of cover-based combat, platforming, and 'playable cinematic gameplay.'" Swell.

I really do agree with the sentiment that those 150 people had been producing nothing of value since... I guess Republic Commando in 2005 was decent. 150 jobs is sad and all, but the fact remains that they've been paid to produce nothing particularly good for the past 7+ years. I don't feel like it's Disney's job to effectively pension them for freaking decades just because they can.

55. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:18 Orogogus

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:16:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:11:

Uh... how so?

Because Disney is a shit company that like all the other swine of the industry sees no profit in traditional games anymore and believes all the money is in micro transactions, F2P and mobile games. I highly doubt they will give EA, Bioware or Obsidian the rights to another large production AAA game, especially on a scale of something like KoToR or ToR.

I truly believe the future of Star Wars games are the lego series, upcoming movie tie ins, and shit facebook games. You can kiss goodbye high production Star Wars games, because Disney doesn't believe in that kind of shit. Hell I don't even think we will SEE another Star Wars game until the next Abrahms movie is out.

What do you even know about Disney as a gaming company? I mean, what is any of this based on?

You must be new, Beamer thinks he knows everything about everything when it comes to the game industry.

It's Rattlehead here, though.

I mean, Kingdom Hearts is a big budget game series, and as far as I know Disney's still on board there.

50. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:11 Orogogus

Uh... how so?

49. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:10 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:50:
This could be good news. Maybe Double Fine can get their mitts on some IPs - even licensing - and do a new Grim Fandango, Day of the Testicle, etc. Someone could even take a stab at Outlaws. LA did nothing with these great IPs in 20 years so fuck them, but Disney is at least smart enough to know they can still profit from them.

These games, plus Full Throttle, are all titles that I think should be left alone. They told their stories and tied everything up neatly. Not every IP needs to be beaten to death. Revisiting Grim Fandango in particular seems like the worst goddamned idea.

News Comments > Worlds of Magic Kickstarter
7. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 13:05 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:27:
I would LOVE a Master of Magic remake, but every time someone promises that, it winds up being a turd.

Just make Master of Magic with better graphics. Leave everything else exactly the same, and you'll have the perfect fantasy turn-based 4X game.

(actually, it needs one improvement: The enemy needs to learn how to debuff/dispel your buffs. Otherwise heroes get overpowered way too quickly.)

Creston

I don't feel Master of Magic is hard to look at or anything, even with all the pixels, and if it went high resolution there's a very good chance I wouldn't like the look.

Master of Magic is available on GOG, so if the only acceptable path is to remake the old game with new graphics then no one should try.

News Comments > Activision Has King's Quest Plans?
12. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 12:45 Orogogus

I have to agree with Kajetan. The only reason this would have any effect on reputation is if there's a giant crowd of people throwing money at pure nostalgia. King's Quest is one of the weakest licenses in their stable, notwithstanding that it was their first game.

I could see the value in continuing the Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight series. I could just about believe Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. But the King's Quest games were sorely lacking in any overarching storyline or themes, memorable characters or quality puzzles. Just make a point and click adventure game with castles and stuff in it, no need to buy a license.

But I guess there was enough of a base to make that fan-game that got foxed, so eh.

831 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo