Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 929 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced
13. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced Sep 3, 2013, 18:22 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 17:14:
I cant for the life of me figure out why they cant simply remake Space Hulk 2, Vengeance of the Blood angels. Perhaps flesh it out a little bit more by adding some kind of cooperative mode.

Space Hulk begs to be squad based, anything else is pure heresy.

I thought SH2 was a shitty, shitty Space Hulk game. Your Terminators mauled Genestealers in hand-to-hand, and got shot to pieces by regular Chaos Marine schlubs. The squad controls weren't much good, especially compared to the first game, so there wasn't much strategy to it. As an experiment I tried going into hand-to-hand and not pressing any buttons, and it turned out your window for the QTE is like five seconds long.

The first one was pretty excellent, but kind of ridiculously hard and downright unfair when you fail a bunch of dice rolls and a Genestealer marches right up your 8-long firing corridor. Great game, but not for everyone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 22, 2013, 13:48 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:33:
The problem is there are a bunch of non-BSA scouting groups already using the term "Scout." For example:

Adventure Scouts
Dog Scouts
Madison Scouts

Maybe Beam or someone with more expertise than me can comment, but it seems like the BSA could be challenged on a couple of fronts. First, their charter may be unconstitutional on its face. It's overly broad. Second, I think if you fail to protect your copyright within a certain timeframe you lose the ability to sue. I am not sure if this is case by case or more global (they failed to send a cease and desist to the Dog Scouts within the timeframe, so Dog Scouts can use the name in perpetuity OR they didn't protect against the Dog Scouts, so anyone can use abc Scout in their name), although the former is probably the case.

You're talking about trademarks, not copyrights.

Also, apparently the Madison Scouts were originally a Boy Scout offshoot.

News Comments > EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees
56. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 14:03 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:29:
walrus1 wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:13:
Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:24:
Having just bought the Origin Bundle, I can officially say Origin is complete and utter shit.

I had a very similar experience. I'm having a hell of a time downloading all the Origin games. Updating the client helped but still having issues. Haven't made it to BF3 yet......

Iím not a fan of EA or Origin, I bought the Pack this past week for 1 dollars. It was pretty hard to pass up the deal for DS3. I wanted to play it Coop so it was worth it to give it a try. I was able to install three of those games without any issues at all. And we played it Coop, which was a lot of fun. Iím in no way defending Origin, but I did not have any of your issues. And neither did my friend.

It was hard to install anything on the first day of the sale, and maybe the day after, presumably due to all the people getting on board. I don't know if it's better now; I assume so, since you apparently had no problems.

News Comments > EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees
21. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:03 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:49:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:09:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 09:53:
While this is a move in the right direction... it should be 24 hours after first launch of the game
"within 24 hours of first launch or within a week of your purchase, whichever comes first"

Whatever that means, read that and figured a typo. That makes no sense, but this does make sense: Return within a week of first launch or within 24 after purchase after that.

Unless I'm missing something. Because if the game launched today I'll take the week to think about return vs the 23 hours.

Yours makes less sense. I literally can't tell what you mean by "within 24 after purchase after that."

I think launch refers to you starting the game, not like a new product launch. Their policy seems to be, you buy the game. Then either 1) you install and launch it right away, 24 hours time's up, or 2) you sit on it and don't install it, and 7 days later time's up. In the latter case I assume the idea is that you see a bunch of bad reviews and decide it's a lemon, or else come down with buyer's remorse.

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
38. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:45 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:35:
The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.

Well, that's hard to say. While complaints about tacked on game modes are often true, Star Control I was a multiplayer skirmish game, and then SC2 came out of nowhere with a great single player RPG. Wolfenstein 3D was obviously ready to go multiplayer as soon as the technology got there, and people seem to have enjoyed System Shock 2's co-op well enough.

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
35. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:35 Orogogus

Doesn't X3 have time compression? Like, Elite had system-to-system jumps only between Lagrange points, so you had to acc/dec your way to whatever planet/moon/station you wanted to get to, and that could take weeks or months -- hence time compression. I don't think X3 is set up the same way, but my impression was that it still had a time compression feature, and if it's crucial to gameplay then I imagine that rules out multiplayer.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk
22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 16, 2013, 10:45 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 09:22:
InBlack wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 08:22:
MoonSpook wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 08:09:
Sadly, it doesn't look so good, at least according to RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/

Ouch, thats a damn scathing review. All or at least most of the issues mentioned can be patched out though....

That review pretty well summed up the game to me too.

The slow movement really kills this game for me, Terminators are not supposed to lumber around moving that slowly. They damn well move faster than that.

Secondly, the terrible camera they implemented, they just had to go with the XComs 45 degree turns at a time camera. That just kills me when they should have implemented a full free moving camera.

Thirdly, is the weakness the Terminators seem to display with their armor being so weak. A Terminator should never go down in one hit.

InBlack, I totally agree, Gene Stealers are supposed to be terrifying, but not one on one. They usually gang up on you. A Terminator should take down several before being overwhelmed. So far, from what Iíve seen thatís not been the case.

Lastly, lack of being able to change any of the key mappings. Even Auto Hot Key does not work in this game. That tells me this game has poorly written code.

There are other annoyances, but I wonít list them since they are trivial. But to me, this game could have so much better.

I feel like the problem here is that you didn't want a Space Hulk game. As far as 40K goes it would be ridiculous for one Terminator to take down multiple Genestealers in hand-to-hand. Like, it would be a different game altogether. Likewise with fast Terminators.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 16, 2013, 06:12 Orogogus

In every edition of the game, it's not a great idea to go hand-to-hand with a Genestealer, especially with just the default power fist or a power sword. The odds are heavily on the marine dying in round 1. Lightning claws or storm shield & thunder hammer favor the marine, but even so the Genestealers will eventually win a dice roll and that's it.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Humble Bundle Aug 14, 2013, 23:55 Orogogus

Yeah. You can pay as little as $1 for Dead Space, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, Mirror's Edge and Medal of Honor, plus the money goes to charity (minus whatever you want to give to Humble Bundle). If that wasn't good enough of a deal, Dead Space 3 on Steam probably wasn't going to make the deal either.

The only thing is that there are lots of people now giving away the keys for everything besides Dead Space 3, but that's not much of an argument for saying it's a poor deal.

News Comments > Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft
2. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 14, 2013, 23:00 Orogogus

Ratty wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 22:53:
Traitor

Possibly a sign that you take video games way too seriously.

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Revealed
9. Re: The Wolf Among Us Revealed Aug 14, 2013, 17:53 Orogogus

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 12:44:
After The Walking Dead I think it's pretty clear Telltale can make a great game out of anything, or more specifically one of the teams at Telltale can. I like Fables, too, so I'm excited.

Ya, they have some misses. The two Bone episodes were pretty meh before they quietly dropped the property, and I hear Jurassic Park is unintentionally comic. Haven't heard anything good or bad about their CSI or Wallace and Gromit games.

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Aug 14, 2013, 01:08 Orogogus

I think there are also efficiencies regarding speed and altitude that favor jet engines (which aren't battery powered) over propellers.

Also, you're assuming that the energy difference between a Future Tech 1 battery and jet fuel is one that can be solved soon. Like, in our generation. It might not be. There's a lot of money being spent on energy research, all the time.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Announced
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 23:14 Orogogus

Choobeastia wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 22:59:
I'm made really sad by what this company has been producing. I loved Sword of the Stars, and I enjoyed The Pit for what it was. Sword of the Stars 2 never managed to be properly functional for TONS of people, and this doesn't look to be anything that I'm interested in. Basically, I would like for them to continue making classic Sword of the Stars things, but I just don't love the angle that they're taking with their new products.

I just hope things turn around.

What makes this a deviation and the Pit a classic thing? I'd think the Pit would fall in the deviation camp, too, or else Ground Pounders something you could enjoy for what it was.

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Aug 13, 2013, 19:35 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 15:35:
(Planes) can run on electricity if batteries and engines were actually built for it. This thing can only transport 28 people at once.

I'm not under the impression that we have the technology to build an electricity-powered passenger plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_aircraft

I don't see anything that has more than 4 seats.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
13. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 10, 2013, 21:49 Orogogus

Raptor wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 20:10:
I look to a nearby edge, and a prompt appears telling me I can jump across. Jumping is now a context- sensitive action. ďJumping, bouncing up and down, kind of broke the immersion,Ē says Schmidt. ďWe didnít want you to be the master thief and you just tend to fall off stuff all the time.Ē Thatís fair, but the loss of granular control when you jump feels very un-PC in philosophy. Iíll come back to that.
Look at this for example.
On the surface a very reasonable explnation, however what they've basically said is that they remove your freedom to apply their own design, not very PC-like at all.
These sort of things resonate throughout the whole preview.

This reminds me of a Let's Play of System Shock 2 where the poor guy (Helloween) fell off of various ladders like a dozen times. I can totally see where games like Dead Space stopped letting you fall off of them altogether.

News Comments > Wasteland Re-release Plans
23. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 21:36 Orogogus

Eh. I guess Falcon had that monster 3 ring binder manual, and I never got into submarine or sports games, but aside from copy protection in Wasteland and the Gold Box games, back in my piracy days I played through a lot of games including the Arkania games without a manual (or the Internet).

Games are designed to be played, and clicking buttons and pressing random keys then failing a few dozen times was usually enough to get me through most games. You get pointed in the right direction, start thinking, "wouldn't it be convenient/critical to have a button that does <x>", and often discover that that's exactly what a previously unused button does. No matter how complex an RPG, the basics usually come down to fighter/magician/thief, get better equipment, do quests. Not knowing the mechanics isn't usually fatal (although the Arkania games were particularly obtuse here).

The only game I clearly recall running into a complete brick wall of "click buttons, nothing apparent happens" was Rules of Engagement 2.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 10, 2013, 14:58 Orogogus

Four, but yeah.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/140726/morning-consolidation

Maybe it just took effect now?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 10, 2013, 14:55 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 14:41:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 04:50:
Sony not expecting PS3-like losses for PS4.

Shit, I should hope not. You're using standard off the shelf hardware, after all.

Sony has actually done quite a bit of work to their hardware so that it really doesn't match "off the shelf" hardware anymore.

They say that, but it's been hard to see much difference in the past. The Emotion Engine apparently let it play Final Fantasy 8 cutscenes, and the Cell processor was good for SETI@home or whatever instead of linking with all your kitchen appliances. The most tangible result of the work they do to nonstandardize their hardware is proprietary memory sticks for their handhelds.

5. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:39 Orogogus

They could package it with DOSBOX (Steam's SOP with old DOS games) with mouse disabled and ignore the sound. It will run and you can beat the game. The save system thinks you've got floppies, but it uses the hard drive fine; a modern save system would be aces. It's just a pretty janky experience is all.

The manual thing is what they really ought to fix, if they can. It's probably the most unpleasant part of replaying the game.

3. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 10, 2013, 13:31 Orogogus

It could stand to be cleaned up, or more probably rewritten from scratch. In the original DOS release that came with my Interplay collection, using the mouse sends you flying across the map unless you apply a lot of moslo, sound (including the Geiger counter) comes out through the internal speaker, the save system thinks you've got floppy drives, you have to manually recopy files to start a new game after the first playthrough, and you have to look up most of the text descriptions in the game manual.  

929 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo