Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 921 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 11:23 Orogogus

btallas wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:43:
Funny thing, if it was announced that Microsoft was doing this (and they probably are), people here would be clamoring for them to be shut down because of slave labor. Sony does it and it's a funny joke.

No, that would definitely be Apple. When the Foxconn stories originally broke it was Apple and they got a ton of flak for it. When it was pointed out that there are like 60+ well-known multinationals using Foxconn, the general response was basically "Yes, but fuck Apple."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Oct 7, 2013, 17:38 Orogogus

Well, Elite II is one of the only games other than KSS where you have planets orbiting the sun, moons orbiting the planets, space stations orbiting the moons. And it's one of the rare games that lets you fly down to the surface of a planet (or sun), although of course there's not a whole lot down there. You could do gravitational slingshot maneuvers. And there was really boring Newtonian combat.

X is clearly more than an unimaginative Elite clone, but on the other hand I wouldn't say it lets you do everything that you could in Elite (well, the original Elite, yes, but still).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Flashback
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Flashback Oct 2, 2013, 00:08 Orogogus

Dialed down the challenge? I'm terrible at platformers, and I don't remember this being hard.

On the other hand, what I do remember is it being fun at the beginning and then by some point you fight blobby shapeshifters and the whole game became roll roll shoot roll roll roll shoot roll shoot etc. etc.

News Comments > Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend
23. Re: Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 17:15 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 15:25:
I thought the A:CM thing was a one game thing, apparently your whole attitude is that if you like a game everyone else must like it or there is something wrong with them. It is like history is repeating itself or something...

I don't know if this is a board secret or anything, but Darks is really, really big on co-op play. I'm sure he considers other factors, but I think 95% of the time if a game doesn't have co-op play it goes straight in the "dismiss" pile, and if it has it he'll defend it in the face of the entire Internet.

News Comments > Stardock Lawsuits Settled
4. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 18:25 Orogogus

Icewind wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 18:11:
She basically admitted that she was in the wrong by deleting the data. Sounds like she was just trying to screw him over for something job related. Been there before, saw this kind of thing.

If this story gets posted on Kotaku you'll have 5,000 angry women and 25,000 single 30-something males screaming about how this is unfair and Wardell should be hung.

I'll wait and see if they post it...

You know that Blue is reporting based on the Kotaku article, right?

News Comments > Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free
5. Re: Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free Sep 21, 2013, 13:27 Orogogus

No, what he's getting at is that these two games have already been free for years.  

News Comments > Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free
3. Re: Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free Sep 21, 2013, 08:49 Orogogus

Sepharo wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 04:04:
GOG is now offering free games for free! Hooray!

This was also the case with last week's release of Stargunner. There's a soundtrack and a "making of" download. Yay, I guess?

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
65. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 16, 2013, 03:51 Orogogus

Kajetan wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 01:58:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 14:17:
Probably no one besides forumers cares more about timing than volume.
Some forumers always tend to ignore timed exclusives and market share.

I'm just saying, one of the regular arguments whenever piracy comes up is, there are people pirating console releases early therefore the rate of piracy is exactly the same between PC and consoles and the problem is exactly just as bad on all platforms (or worse on consoles). But evidence to the contrary is readily available.

Although, your argument about market share is a little hard to follow, too. Consoles have a larger market share so they release there first... if they did it the other way around, what would happen, exactly? Double dipping like Batman and nin is an argument that makes sense, but without that how does releasing for the larger market first sell any more copies?

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
19. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 15, 2013, 14:17 Orogogus

Kajetan wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 13:27:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 11:51:
I can understand why they skip the PC at launch. In their minds it forces those who might pirate it on PC to purchase it on console (yes I know that console games can be pirated, I'm trying to look at it from a business perspective, that they're analyzing stats and seeing the piracy rates on PC).
If they really analyze something, they analyze shit. GTA5 is THE popular PS3 & 360 copy since three days. I guess, they just have to stop releasing on consoles, no?

Probably no one besides forumers cares more about timing than volume.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2013, 01:08 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 22:58:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 19:46:
BobBob wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 19:22:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 18:32:
Actually it was Roddenberry's idea that V'Ger is borg.

It makes perfect sense and has a nice circular history to it. Proof please.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/V'Ger

Also in Star Trek Legacy.

Wasn't Roddenberry already dead by the time they came up with the Borg concept? Sounds like Berman just retconning shit again.

Wikipedia says the first Borg episode was in May 1989, and Roddenberry died in Oct 1991.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Early Access
4. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Early Access Sep 7, 2013, 01:00 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 23:44:
Wasn't the original an incredibly buggy mess with really, really poor voice work by some Russian team?

These guys seem to be Croatians. Tarr Chronicles and The Tomorrow War were by Russians. You may be thinking of the latter, which was singled out for its poor and incomplete translations.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 18:38 Orogogus

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 08:13:
Scud wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 04:05:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 03:42:

This. Exactly this. So exactly this.

The first competent, experienced dev shop to announce a MW spiritual successor Kickstarter with a single player campaign will make over $1m in funding the first day, and $5m after 30. That should be enough to attract enough private funding to make a top notch AAA game. Just make the SP campaign the focus, and you Will Be Funded. Hell, throw in multiplayer modes if you want, shouldn't be too hard with all the models and engine already in place. But make SP the core. More people probably played Wing Commander back in the day than MW2, but probably not many more. There's a large group of nostalgic gamers out there waiting to be exploited.

Someone get on that already.

I thought I heard somewhere once that the MWO guys first tried Kickstarting a MW single player game but they said nobody would bite.
I'm not sure how much I believe that however now.

Had they gone the Kickstarter route, they would have made it in spades.

No what they did is shop it around to all the publishers, but because Microsoft still owns the rights to anything electronic when it comes to Mech, none of the publishers wanted to touch it since you'd still need permission to use the license from Microsoft.

This is ultimately what killed the never launched MPBT3025 and subsequently Kesmai.

That wasn't exactly it, if I recall correctly.

Microsoft did have the rights, but it wasn't that they scared everyone off by their reputation alone. I think it was that they insisted that the game would have to be an Xbox 360 exclusive (i.e., PC/360, no PS3). Publishers rightfully balked, and the game went nowhere.

Supposedly MPBT 3025 did die because of Microsoft's jerking EA around with the licensing agreement. Don't know about EGA/Solaris.

The first sort-of success story on Kickstarter was, what, FTL, and that was last year, at about the same time MWO was already going into open beta.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced
13. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced Sep 3, 2013, 18:22 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 17:14:
I cant for the life of me figure out why they cant simply remake Space Hulk 2, Vengeance of the Blood angels. Perhaps flesh it out a little bit more by adding some kind of cooperative mode.

Space Hulk begs to be squad based, anything else is pure heresy.

I thought SH2 was a shitty, shitty Space Hulk game. Your Terminators mauled Genestealers in hand-to-hand, and got shot to pieces by regular Chaos Marine schlubs. The squad controls weren't much good, especially compared to the first game, so there wasn't much strategy to it. As an experiment I tried going into hand-to-hand and not pressing any buttons, and it turned out your window for the QTE is like five seconds long.

The first one was pretty excellent, but kind of ridiculously hard and downright unfair when you fail a bunch of dice rolls and a Genestealer marches right up your 8-long firing corridor. Great game, but not for everyone.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 22, 2013, 13:48 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:33:
The problem is there are a bunch of non-BSA scouting groups already using the term "Scout." For example:

Adventure Scouts
Dog Scouts
Madison Scouts

Maybe Beam or someone with more expertise than me can comment, but it seems like the BSA could be challenged on a couple of fronts. First, their charter may be unconstitutional on its face. It's overly broad. Second, I think if you fail to protect your copyright within a certain timeframe you lose the ability to sue. I am not sure if this is case by case or more global (they failed to send a cease and desist to the Dog Scouts within the timeframe, so Dog Scouts can use the name in perpetuity OR they didn't protect against the Dog Scouts, so anyone can use abc Scout in their name), although the former is probably the case.

You're talking about trademarks, not copyrights.

Also, apparently the Madison Scouts were originally a Boy Scout offshoot.

News Comments > EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees
56. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 14:03 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:29:
walrus1 wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:13:
Axis wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 12:24:
Having just bought the Origin Bundle, I can officially say Origin is complete and utter shit.

I had a very similar experience. I'm having a hell of a time downloading all the Origin games. Updating the client helped but still having issues. Haven't made it to BF3 yet......

Iím not a fan of EA or Origin, I bought the Pack this past week for 1 dollars. It was pretty hard to pass up the deal for DS3. I wanted to play it Coop so it was worth it to give it a try. I was able to install three of those games without any issues at all. And we played it Coop, which was a lot of fun. Iím in no way defending Origin, but I did not have any of your issues. And neither did my friend.

It was hard to install anything on the first day of the sale, and maybe the day after, presumably due to all the people getting on board. I don't know if it's better now; I assume so, since you apparently had no problems.

News Comments > EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees
21. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 11:03 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:49:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 10:09:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 09:53:
While this is a move in the right direction... it should be 24 hours after first launch of the game
"within 24 hours of first launch or within a week of your purchase, whichever comes first"

Whatever that means, read that and figured a typo. That makes no sense, but this does make sense: Return within a week of first launch or within 24 after purchase after that.

Unless I'm missing something. Because if the game launched today I'll take the week to think about return vs the 23 hours.

Yours makes less sense. I literally can't tell what you mean by "within 24 after purchase after that."

I think launch refers to you starting the game, not like a new product launch. Their policy seems to be, you buy the game. Then either 1) you install and launch it right away, 24 hours time's up, or 2) you sit on it and don't install it, and 7 days later time's up. In the latter case I assume the idea is that you see a bunch of bad reviews and decide it's a lemon, or else come down with buyer's remorse.

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
38. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:45 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:35:
The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.

Well, that's hard to say. While complaints about tacked on game modes are often true, Star Control I was a multiplayer skirmish game, and then SC2 came out of nowhere with a great single player RPG. Wolfenstein 3D was obviously ready to go multiplayer as soon as the technology got there, and people seem to have enjoyed System Shock 2's co-op well enough.

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
35. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:35 Orogogus

Doesn't X3 have time compression? Like, Elite had system-to-system jumps only between Lagrange points, so you had to acc/dec your way to whatever planet/moon/station you wanted to get to, and that could take weeks or months -- hence time compression. I don't think X3 is set up the same way, but my impression was that it still had a time compression feature, and if it's crucial to gameplay then I imagine that rules out multiplayer.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk
22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 16, 2013, 10:45 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 09:22:
InBlack wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 08:22:
MoonSpook wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 08:09:
Sadly, it doesn't look so good, at least according to RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/

Ouch, thats a damn scathing review. All or at least most of the issues mentioned can be patched out though....

That review pretty well summed up the game to me too.

The slow movement really kills this game for me, Terminators are not supposed to lumber around moving that slowly. They damn well move faster than that.

Secondly, the terrible camera they implemented, they just had to go with the XComs 45 degree turns at a time camera. That just kills me when they should have implemented a full free moving camera.

Thirdly, is the weakness the Terminators seem to display with their armor being so weak. A Terminator should never go down in one hit.

InBlack, I totally agree, Gene Stealers are supposed to be terrifying, but not one on one. They usually gang up on you. A Terminator should take down several before being overwhelmed. So far, from what Iíve seen thatís not been the case.

Lastly, lack of being able to change any of the key mappings. Even Auto Hot Key does not work in this game. That tells me this game has poorly written code.

There are other annoyances, but I wonít list them since they are trivial. But to me, this game could have so much better.

I feel like the problem here is that you didn't want a Space Hulk game. As far as 40K goes it would be ridiculous for one Terminator to take down multiple Genestealers in hand-to-hand. Like, it would be a different game altogether. Likewise with fast Terminators.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 16, 2013, 06:12 Orogogus

In every edition of the game, it's not a great idea to go hand-to-hand with a Genestealer, especially with just the default power fist or a power sword. The odds are heavily on the marine dying in round 1. Lightning claws or storm shield & thunder hammer favor the marine, but even so the Genestealers will eventually win a dice roll and that's it.  

921 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo