Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1167 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
21. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 23, 2015, 18:13 Orogogus

If you're pretty sure you're in the minority, doesn't that answer your own question?

The new(ish) Space Hulk game came out as pretty much a 1:1 translation of the board game, and a lot of people hated it, especially the many, many people who never played the board game. Then they videogamed it up and released Ascension, which people liked a lot better. I imagine this would be the same thing. I can't imagine a turn-based WHFB game being well received at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
12. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 14:16 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:41:
Oh, get over it already. If Codies sold off the IP to someone else known for their co-op action RPGs, this wouldn't be such a [lame] surprise.

Do I have anything against Fallout 3? No. But I wouldn't have invoked it to bitch about "a cult franchise to hype up your attempt at a co-op action RPG". I would have picked any other game. Or I could have just moved my goalposts, whatever.

In any case it looks like the original Overlord developers, Triumph Studios, aren't on this so I guess all bets were off. Maybe people were expecting an Overlord-themed rally racer?

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
8. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 13:56 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:47:
verybad1 wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:44:
ASeven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:42:
IMO this is the worst thing that could happen. I agree that modders should be rewarded but that should be in the form of donations. This will open the door for everyone, good and bad modders, to charge for mods and we'll have no way to know which ones are better.

With this move Steam has thrown PC gaming a lot of steps back. Modders should be rewarded but not this way, this is the wrong way about it.

Try any mod, Risk Free
It's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase. View the full refund policy here.
Free, Paid, or Pay What You Want
With over 24,000 free mods available for Skyrim in the Steam Workshop, there will always be lots to do and explore for free. Now you can also find mods with a specified price, or mods where you can choose how much you wish to support the creators. The price is up to the mod creators

Good luck having a single day trying to find if a mod is for you.

Instead of the buy button, they should replace it with a donate button, that way I don't think anybody would have anything against.

Hell, even EA didn't go this far. Holy fuck.

How do you know how to buy actual games? Word of mouth, reviews, whatever. Go to their website. If you're adamant that modders only deserve donations, then don't even look at the mods with price tags -- I don't get the impression that it's mandatory to go paid. From your tone I get the impression that only utter fucking pond scum would have charged for a mod, so it's unlikely that they were going to make anything you were interested in anyway.

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
9. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:35 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:33:
This is like if Bethesda teased a new Fallout, and it turned out to be a multiplayer team shooter...

Or, you know, an FPS-RPG?

I mean, of all the examples you could have picked...

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
4. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 22, 2015, 20:09 Orogogus

Lorcin wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 20:01:
Seriously how many Warhammer games do we need. I honestly can't keep track anymore.

You're probably thinking of Warhammer 40K. As far as I know for Warhammer Fantasy there's just this being worked on, and Vermintide.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 11:07 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 04:47:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 03:12:
InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 02:50:
True Dat! Full House was the (un)funniest show on TV ever. I could never fathom why it was so popular, I hated it even as a kid. BoB Saget has to take the prize for the most succesful comedian without a sense of humour, thats for sure. At least he is not coming back in this reboot, is he?

I gather that his comedian schtick is nothing like his role on Full House, although I haven't watched it so I don't know whether it's actually funny or not.

Well when he hosted America's Funniest Home Videos (remember that you old fucks!? :)) he had these little stand up one-liners and whatnot, I don't know if he wrote his own material, but Christ the stuff that came out of his mouth was so terrible, I felt embarrased just watching him do his thing.

Yeah, I remember that. But I've heard his standup routines are raunchy and profane, which you wouldn't expect.

EDIT: There are videos on YouTube, of course. It's, uh, as advertised. Lots of swearing. He's definitely not in-character.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2015, 11:13.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 03:12 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 02:50:
True Dat! Full House was the (un)funniest show on TV ever. I could never fathom why it was so popular, I hated it even as a kid. BoB Saget has to take the prize for the most succesful comedian without a sense of humour, thats for sure. At least he is not coming back in this reboot, is he?

I gather that his comedian schtick is nothing like his role on Full House, although I haven't watched it so I don't know whether it's actually funny or not.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2015, 23:14 Orogogus

Asking non-rhetorically, how much damage could you do? I assume the car doesn't start shooting rockets or activate jump capability. Is it a matter of cars suddenly not working in the middle of the highway? What kind of malfunctions can you incur that wouldn't have happened with a non-computerized car?  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
285. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 18, 2015, 17:13 Orogogus

I feel like virtually all the removed posts I see are by regulars with thousands of posts. People with a few hundred posts never jump in guns blazing.

And, you know, nothing happens. Like one or two guys who weren't bots have ever gotten banned. There's no time out, you don't get any privileges revoked, Blue doesn't even tell people to get back on topic. And there's no mystery figuring out the gist of a removed post; we get the idea. I can't understand how people can get into hysterics over this, getting into a mental state where "hypocrisy" gets flung around. Just copy and paste the exact same post and take out the part where you directly called the other guy names, done and move on.

News Comments > Into the Black
45. Re: Into the Black Apr 17, 2015, 18:00 Orogogus

@Creston:
The Imperials would know because the smugglers left. As in, they punched out and warped away according to plan before the Imperials could react. If they actually stuck around, that might have been worth mentioning. If they had enough ships to worry a task force in place to annihilate two sector fleets, that would also be key information. Instead, what Thrawn and Pellaeon are looking at grimly is two Rebel warships and a bunch of starfighters pouring into the shipyards.

For that matter, if that was Zahn's actual intent, it would have been more effective storytelling for the smugglers to actually decide to jump into the fight, not confusing the issue with defending the shipyards (which, again, the Imperials abandoned immediately once Thrawn was out of play). The whole business about Wedge planning to force the Imperials to split their fleet to defend the shipyard, the Imperials worrying about doing exactly that, and then the Imperials just up and leaving, makes no sense.

Unless they revised the book to fix this -- and to be honest, I would have -- I think you're inventing a reason that wasn't described in the actual book, which reads like Zahn very abruptly ran out of either time or allowable pages.

Also, the books spent some time hammering the point of how the superior Imperial fleet at Endor turned tail and ran because they were Force-linked to the Emperor until he died. But then the presumably also-superior fleet at Bilbringi flees after Thrawn's death, even though they weren't linked to him, nor to C'baoath. After spending time and words filling in this plot hole in RotJ, wouldn't it make sense not to end the climactic battle of your trilogy the exact same way?

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
265. Re: LOL at the 1st person FOV!!! Apr 17, 2015, 16:23 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 15:53:
My complaint is the same as it always seems to be with you. Either moderate or don't. Why delete response posts and leave the original attack? Just because it wasn't reported? If you come to moderate one post, why would you not look at the others?

I don't want to read this crap, I don't see why Blue would.

It's clear you are selective and uneven with your moderation. You let people like your buddy nin make back handed attacks at people all the time. You ban someone every now and then when they get way beyond being out of hand. Other than that they just make new accounts and continue on.

I never understand why people with thousands of posts still get posts pulled and complain about it. Nin does get on people's cases, but usually doesn't make straight up personal attacks; merely snide generally gets a pass. But call someone names or tell them to go to hell, someone reports it and the post gets pulled. That's it. And yet a handful of people keep driving off this bridge and coming back to complain about it.

38. Re: Into the Black Apr 17, 2015, 13:30 Orogogus

@Creston:

Didn't the smugglers leave? They were going to "punch out" with their prize; if they were going to stay around and fight, and if that was what had the Imperials so concerned, I don't remember that being conveyed in the text. Also, I didn't get the impression they were that scary a force compared to the battle fleets. The Rebels had, if I recall, something like "two sector fleets", which the Imperials were going to wipe out with their trap.

I distinctly remember that the problem was stated as having to defend the shipyards in addition to whatever else was going on, rather than actually being a losing battle.

EDIT: The relevant text:

"It could be," Aves said. "Or it couldn't. See, in about ninety seconds some of us are going to make a grab for the CGT array we came here to get. After that, it's a quick goodbye and we punch our way out."

Wedge looked over at the lights, thinking it over. It could work, all right. If Aves' people were able to knock out even one of those Golan II's, it would open up the shipyard to a New Republic incursion. Unless the Imperials were willing to sacrifice it, they would have to shift some of their battle force over there to close the puncture and chase down any ships that had gotten in.

Pellaeon looked up at the viewports. At the chaos that had erupted behind the defenses of the supposedly secure shipyards; at the unexpected need to split his forces to its defense; at the Rebel fleet taking full advantage of the diversion. In the blink of an eye, the universe had suddenly turned against them.

EDIT 2: Did they retreat to the shipyards, to defend it? Again, if so that would be something not conveyed in the text.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2015, 13:43.

35. Re: Into the Black Apr 17, 2015, 12:55 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 12:26:
Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 11:20:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 08:26:
]And finally, the expanded universe is now dead, until there is new books based on the movies. There is no Academy, no Anakin, Ben, Jacen and Jaina, no Mara Jade, no Talon Kardde.

The EU is actually alive and well. Disney didn't kill it, they've just said that it's not canon. The EU has even been rebooted, presumably to be able to take advantage of where the new movies go.

Well in reguards to the movies it's dead. As much as I would have loved to see Zahn's books made into the next trilogy.

People say that, but I've never really understood the sentiment. A great book doesn't necessarily make a good movie, and vice versa; I think the Thrawn trilogy is a good example. Good guys and villains being smart works well in a book but looks pretty dull on screen, where people want to see snappy action sequences and the good guys winning through the power of heart/teamwork/badass. The first two books see their exciting climaxes when (spoiler) Lando activates the mole miners, and Han steers a Dreadnaught into a mostly-immobile Star Destroyer. I don't think any amount of John Williams is going to get people super hyped up over that. Likewise, Vader is what audiences want in a movie villain.

While we're on the subject, though, I've never understood the ending of the last book. Spoilers: Okay, so the Rebels are breaking into the shipyard. And that's bad because now the Empire has to contain the main body of the Rebel fleet (I think) while also defending the shipyard. But Pellaeon calls a retreat after Thrawn dies. Doesn't this mean they give up both objectives instead of picking just one? The Rebel fleet gets away, and the shipyard is toast. What happened here?

32. Re: Into the Black Apr 17, 2015, 11:00 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 03:47:
Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 01:18:
1badmf wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 01:07:
the dialogue of the originals was always at least charming with Ford and Fisher delivering them with confident aplomb.

The original series was better, but even it wasn't the greatest where dialogue was concerned.

right, and a lot of the same lines were delivered in the prequels to catastrophic results. but coming out of the deliveries of the original cast they somehow became natural and spontaneous. i think harrison ford could make dr. seuss sound natural and spontaneous. come to think of it, i'd be REALLY curious to see him do Shakespeare, whether it'd be an unmitigated disaster or if he could achieve an american naturalness that no one's seen before.

i particularly remember leia's speech on the eve of the evacuation of hoth about the ion cannon firing several shots, how it was so long and technical, and yet she pulled it off like she was a professor teaching a class.

the lines as written were probably overly dense and verbose but the cast just made it come to life; something the prequel cast couldn't ever do. maybe it was that they had worse lines, but i think some of it is that they weren't as good as the original cast as well.

You seem to be dancing around the elephant in the room that's Mark Hamill. I love his voice work from the 90s on, but his lines in the trilogy were pretty bad. Although, having watched the deleted scenes I have to say they left the worst stuff on the cutting room floor.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 18:07 Orogogus

Visions of genius or no, my parents thought the original films were kiddie junk when they came out, and their opinion hasn't really mellowed with age. They're kind of condescending regarding the fact that I still like them now.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records
12. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records Apr 16, 2015, 13:27 Orogogus

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:24:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:22:
Also, I'm pretty sure a fair fraction of those people didn't pay $60. There have been deals going on for $30-46, right on launch day.
I think he was referring to the Steam version which hasn't been on sale.

Oh, that's right; I forgot that was a thing this time around.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records
10. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records Apr 16, 2015, 13:22 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:06:
Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 11:28:
Yup, PC gaming is dead.

Edit: With just those concurrent users and the gaming being $60, they've already made over $18 million. I bet that they have actually made much more than that.

I agree PC gaming isn't dead, but it's no secret why they don't launch initially on PC. These numbers are a fraction of what they did on consoles.

Also, I'm pretty sure a fair fraction of those people didn't pay $60. There have been deals going on for $30-46, right on launch day.

14. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2015, 21:12 Orogogus

I think the implication in this thread is fanatic, not shill; no one seems to be saying that nin is merely posing as a genuine customer, or that he has some kind of financial interest at stake.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2015, 20:40 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 16:14:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 16:09:
I don't think the police have enough evidence for the DA to do anything. From the article, it seems the investigation was initiated and handled by the TSA, who let the victim walk away unidentified. That's a poor start, and finding said victim would be unreasonably difficult.

That's still kind of bullshit though. You have the video of the act occurring blatantly. Get the chick who was the accomplice to testify in order to not get prosecuted, which shouldn't be hard she already told a news station what happened, and that's enough to convict the dude.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the case against the lady collaborator depends heavily on her own self-incriminating testimony, which she can opt not to provide on the stand, or she can change her story. As far as I can tell she never told the police directly, nor the news station, only the TSA investigator. Unless it's in the news video, as I didn't watch it; but the article doesn't name her so I assume not.

There's a clear incentive for her to lie, and not much to testify against the guy. Or the guy can lie, and it's her word against his. And there's certainly no incentive for him at this point to turn evidence against her.

The video is unchangeable, at least, but without the accomplice's testimony (or that of the anonymous tipster) it doesn't seem very strong, especially if the victim doesn't actually look violated in the video. The guy would just lie and deny the hand signal, then say he didn't understand TSA procedures.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2015, 16:09 Orogogus

I don't think the police have enough evidence for the DA to do anything. From the article, it seems the investigation was initiated and handled by the TSA, who let the victim walk away unidentified. That's a poor start, and finding said victim would be unreasonably difficult.  

1167 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo