Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1194 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
110. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 13:26 Orogogus

Giant open world games are also the ones that most need the money from a multiplatform release, or else they'd be smaller with less content. But probably prettier, yes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2015, 13:13 Orogogus

My experience with Google+ and Facebook is mostly to maintain photo albums for real-life groups I'm in, and I'm really not happy with Google+ in this regard. Why can't I reorder albums manually? Why can't I make the Profile Pictures album private? These seem like basic features that shouldn't be impossible to implement, and trying to look for solutions just goes to their message boards where I find people requesting these things and complaining about them for 3+ years.

I have similar problems with Picasa and Maps. For years people have been asking for one button, full screen photo viewing in Picasa and for whatever reason Google has really dug their heels in on this issue; slide show and pause, fuck you. Saved maps in the new Maps have been garbage for two major iterations -- somehow you still can't get directions to saved locations.

Why is it so hard for companies to make tons of money without completely losing sight of what people want? I feel like Apple wouldn't have any success if its competitors just had one normal guy to say, "no, this is dumb", and ignored whoever makes these "our way or the highway" usability decisions.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2015, 14:38 Orogogus

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 14:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 10:54:
That study has to be wrong. Then why not buses? Why not the passengers in current cars? Why not are current self driving cars, monorails?

I get motion sick on the bus all the time. I never do when I drive. Sometime when someone else drives. You're not expecting the motions of the vehicle or the actions of the driver as much when you're a passenger. That's what I've always attributed it to. I have not clicked the link yet though.

Edit - and apparently that's exactly what the article states as well. Interesting.

Sure, but I think Horrorscope's point is, there's no reason (or at least none presented, that I saw) it would be any worse for self-driving cars than buses, passenger seats, etc. Certainly there's a certain proportion of people such as yourself who experience motion sickness in these situations, but I don't think it's enough to say that it happens "often" to "always". And I don't think there was ever any reason for sufferers to expect self-driving cars not to induce the same reaction. I mean, duh.

Maybe the actual study is better, but the article makes it look like a data-deficient grade school science fair presentation.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive
7. Re: The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive Jun 2, 2015, 01:10 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 00:33:
The last game they made in this vein, 2004's The Bard's Tale by inXile, only loosely borrowed its themes and could not use any of the same story or characters (however, it seems the title was no longer trademarked, heh).

Characters like who? The third game was the only one of the original trilogy that really had much plot going on. Compared to its genre mates, Wizardry and Might & Magic, which went out of their way to do some world-building, I feel like The Bard's Tale doesn't really have much to hang a sequel on.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2015, 18:30 Orogogus

Forbes' online presence is basically a blog hall. I'm not under the impression that they exercise any editorial control over any articles whose authors are "Contributor" rather than staff. Some of the articles they let slide are total garbage.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Asset Leak
22. Re: Star Citizen Asset Leak May 25, 2015, 19:21 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2015, 18:21:
I'm sure the designers are smart enough to realize it if we are. Do you suppose it's simply they assume the average viewer won't be able to wrap their head around something like a Star Destroyer with a bridge on both the top and bottom?

The Bab 5 Star Fury is one of the better sci-fi fighter designs, IMO. The focus of view is towards the forward hemisphere, not the bottom or top. Most star fighter designs are just space versions of the F-15 or whatever.

I think this owes as much to anatomy as psychology. Our heads are on top of our bodies, with our eyes set facing forward.

It seems to me that the Starfury, like the TIE Fighter, has a smaller field of view than a space F-15 cockpit. If you have a bubble cockpit on the top of a ship, the pilot's head pokes up and he has full view of the entire top hemisphere, minus whatever's physically obstructed.

In that Starfury, the pilot is seated back from the glass, so he has less than the full hemisphere's view. He has a cone of vision extending from his eyes to the edges of the glass instead of the full hemisphere, further obstructed because his instruments and controls are in front of him instead of below the glass.

I think if you really wanted to emphasize the forward hemisphere of view, you would put pilots lying down or on their chests, with their heads poking out a bubble facing forward. But neck cramps are probably a thing, and it also doesn't sound very safe for the pilot.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 03:12 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2015, 02:11:
Slashman wrote on May 25, 2015, 01:25:
I don't think people realize just how diverse the PC gaming audience is.

PC gamers are much more prone to fall into genre locks than console players. There are much fewer games which every PC gamer has to play than is the case for console.

There are people who only play turn-based 4x games(and those further subdivided), people who only play sims, people who only play racing games, people who only play historic grand strategy games. Or at the very least many people who only spend day 1 money on those genres. Console gamers tend to embrace multiple genres of games more easily and readily.

Every now and there there will be a Skyrim or Total War which will grab whole swatches of PC gamers, but that's not the norm, it's the exception.

Not sure how accurate that is. There are lots of console players (likely the majority) that only play the big-budget, heavily-hyped releases like GTA, Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Madden, etc. These players are less likely to play a game like Witcher 3 because it isn't a franchise they're familiar with.

Similarly, there are a lot of genres that don't have much of an audience on consoles. Strategy games (TBS and RTS), old-school RPGs, survival sandbox games, old-school adventure games, racing sims (along with all the other sims), etc. I'll be very interested to see how well Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin do when they're released on consoles.

I'm inclined to doubt the categories Slashman listed comprise more than 1% of the gaming market, combined. I honestly believe that for everyone who only games out of their custom cockpit setup or who only buys Paradox games, there are 99 who have hundreds of games in their Steam libraries.

I think the real genre lock for PC gamers would be MOBAs, specifically LoL and DOTA2. And I guess CS:GO. Reports putting PC gaming sales above the consoles specifically cite MOBAs and F2P games, and it's not hard to see DOTA2 completely and consistently eclipsing everything else on Steam's stats.

News Comments > F1 2015 Delayed
2. Re: F1 2015 Delayed May 22, 2015, 19:23 Orogogus

theglaze wrote on May 22, 2015, 19:03:
July 24th is just before the Budapest GP and the subsequent 4 week break. Releasing the game before the summer break seems like a naturally thing to do, but this is the first time they've done it. I never understood a September/October release which all the previous games had...

Haha, from Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango Developer Diary, on how to pitch your product to the publisher:

WHEN – the answer to this question is always, “We expect code release to be in August, with the product hitting the stores in September, making this a perfect Christmas product.” Do not paraphrase this sentence. Just cut and paste it right in, word for word, and move on.

Link

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
16. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 21:15 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2015, 20:45:
But seriously.. why 2 USB 3.0 Ports? I hope this means the rift supports HUBS, because USB 3.0 ports are precious enough as is.

One for the headset, one for the positional tracking camera.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2015, 18:58 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2015, 18:16:
Orogogus wrote on May 15, 2015, 17:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2015, 14:28:
Yeah, that's actually a legit case for trademark infringement.

I feel like it's not. Games and utility software seem like very different, wholly non-competing products to me. I'd think there would be zero possibility of someone actually forking over money thinking they'd bought something affiliated with Nero AG.

So you feel like I could make a game titled "Windows" and be okay?

Basically? Yes. I think that example's a little murkier because it's a little more believable that someone with the brains of bratwurst would think, okay, yeah, maybe Microsoft came out with a version of Windows that runs on a console. And it would certainly be less clear if it came out on the PC.

But in the case of Nero, I think you'd have to be willfully stupid to have any expectation that the burning software was ported to the Xbox One or any other console. Maybe in a future gen when consoles have burning capability or Nero has branched out into DVR or some other function that a console might conceivably possess. But as it is now I don't think there's a realistic possibility of confusion. Plus it's a common usage word, not something made up.

Do you think Explorer or Chrome should have been off-limits for their respective programs because of existing games?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2015, 17:05 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2015, 14:28:
nin wrote on May 15, 2015, 09:36:
NERO is Now Available for Xbox One.

NOT the burning software. I was thinking "WTF?!"

Yeah, that's actually a legit case for trademark infringement.

I feel like it's not. Games and utility software seem like very different, wholly non-competing products to me. I'd think there would be zero possibility of someone actually forking over money thinking they'd bought something affiliated with Nero AG.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 11:03 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on May 13, 2015, 09:46:
There is a little caveat by the end of that article. Its kind of noteworthy. At least 50% of the intelligence gathered last year by the Korean agency that 'leaked' this execution information turned out to be completely wrong. So yeah, take any news you hear about North Korea with a serious pinch Sodium Chloride.

Did you get that from a different article, or did they change it? What I see is:

The NIS has a patchy record with its intelligence reports on North Korea, which have sometimes missed key events or reported others later revealed to be false.

Cheong Seong-Chang, a senior analyst with the Sejong Institute think-tank in Seoul, said the NIS had been "rash" in reporting Hyon's execution on the basis of what he deemed "shaky, unconfirmed intelligence."

It needs to be verified, but is already being reported as fact by the media which only adds to the confusion," Cheong said.

"At least 50%" would be more than "sometimes."

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
12. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 12:29 Orogogus

They're not selling a book; if their game doesn't look like the product they've got jack. The YouTube screenshot still looks just like all the box art; if anything it's less on fire.

And I also don't feel like this is anything new. Freespace 2 and the Independence War games were all purple, blue and green nebula backgrounds everywhere. Eve Online and Elite Dangerous look pretty colorful. I can't really think of the last space game that put you in a black void; TIE Fighter?

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
10. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 11:06 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 8, 2015, 04:11:
grudgebearer wrote on May 7, 2015, 20:08:
A terrible depiction of space. I understand the need for some theatricality, but bright orange clouds is not the way to pull it off.

Normally I'd say.. space has to be colorful but in WH40 I have to say.. space should be dark, depressing and scary as fuck. There are way too many colors in that trailer, and orange/blue is like so overused in color balance that I wonder who made that scene.. and why they didn't pay that guy more to get more creative.

Have you guys actually ever bought any Battlefleet Gothic materials? Pretty much all the box and cover art features giant orange explosions or red warp storms.

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
81. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 7, 2015, 02:57 Orogogus

Talisorn wrote on May 6, 2015, 21:23:
Cause again providing different focal lengths for different eyes should actually be an issue? I plug in OR and tell it my left eye is 13/20 and right 18/20 and it can't compensate - with the investment they've had????????

I'm not sure how many ways I can say this. I'll keep it simple:

No. The Rift does not do this.

The slightly more complex answer is:

No. The Rift does not do this. In an effort to keep the response time from movement input to what the eye sees, they need to keep computations to an absolute minimum. Anything more than 20ms and you get motion sick. So to change the rendering of different screens based on what each eye requires is not worth it (that's 20ms from moving your head to input to the game then do what the game wants then display the result). Frankly, it's easier to accommodate glasses.

Lag aside, is this a thing that's even possible? I feel like if it were, then there should be some kind of browser script that would let me input my correction factor and turn a vague blue and white blur into perfectly legible text. Or something AMD or Nvidia would have built into their hardware and drivers.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 "Softbans"
5. Re: Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 Apr 30, 2015, 19:16 Orogogus

necrosis wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 19:04:
One of the things this patch fixes is a bug that can corrupt your game save. That is rather serious if you ask me.

The patch readme says saves get corrupted if you use a cheat to upgrade items to +14, past the in-game limit of +10.

"Dark Souls II handles upgrades to +10 in game — anything above that (via cheeeeety means) could, can and will cause unexpected behaviour. Notably, the +14 upgrade will crash the game upon opening the inventory / equipment menu and will prevent you from dropping the item, effectively condemning that character to deletion. Let's avoid that, shall we."

I mean, sure, that's not good. But a savegame corruption that happens because you're messing around with an unbacked-up save kind of sounds like the risk you take. I don't think it qualifies as "game-breaking."

Also, the linked reddit implies pretty heavily that these softbans were in place before the fix, which is getting swept in because of the cheat detection picking up modified clients.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 "Softbans"
3. Re: Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 Apr 30, 2015, 18:46 Orogogus

necrosis wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 18:26:
1) Idiot game maker leaves serious game breaking bugs in game patch after patch.
2) Community makes fix for said bugs which are game breaking of the highest order.
3) Ban players using fix and piss off community even more.

Brilliant!

Game breaking bugs of the highest order? What are they? As far as I can tell the fix does 3 things, 2 of which are related to cheating or modding -- upgrading items past +10, and "mis-tagged text strings that may or may not be voluntarily introduced into your world (read between the lines...)".

The third thing is a bug, in that weapons degrade twice as fast as they should. Which is bad, yes. But game breaking of the highest order? I think I've seen a lot worse than that before.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2015, 18:58.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 24, 2015, 15:58 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:51:
ED was absolutely released too early for what is probably contractual obligations.

I don't agree. From what I can tell, the game as it stands compares very well against the previous Elite games. You very, very often hear fans of old games say that all they want is the old game with modern graphics, and this largely meets that goalpost -- the main missing features being that you can't land on planets, and there are fewer ships.

To me, at least, it makes sense to start from that basis as 1.0 and build upwards.

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
38. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:11 Orogogus

If they were going to outlaw free mods, wouldn't the vast, vast majority - about 99.93% - of the Skyrim mods on the workshop no longer be free, or have been removed? Wouldn't they have made the default paid instead of free?  

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
106. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 01:53 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:19:
Yeah you'd probably see that more frequently later on in the game life cycle when people have a good idea of what mods they are going to want before the buy the game. Might get a bit of sticker shock there when you've not even bought the game yet and see that the mods you want add up to $50.

I feel like this would be a statistically insignificant edge case. I can't think of many instances where I was interested in mods before I actually had the game. There are only a few occasions where I was even aware of which DLC or expansions were good (some of the Mass Effect ones, some for Borderlands, and, uh... the expansions for any given Blizzard game, I guess).

Also by that time most games are like $5 on Steam, which is probably the most effective piracy deterrent.

1194 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo