Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1180 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
81. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 7, 2015, 02:57 Orogogus

Talisorn wrote on May 6, 2015, 21:23:
Cause again providing different focal lengths for different eyes should actually be an issue? I plug in OR and tell it my left eye is 13/20 and right 18/20 and it can't compensate - with the investment they've had????????

I'm not sure how many ways I can say this. I'll keep it simple:

No. The Rift does not do this.

The slightly more complex answer is:

No. The Rift does not do this. In an effort to keep the response time from movement input to what the eye sees, they need to keep computations to an absolute minimum. Anything more than 20ms and you get motion sick. So to change the rendering of different screens based on what each eye requires is not worth it (that's 20ms from moving your head to input to the game then do what the game wants then display the result). Frankly, it's easier to accommodate glasses.

Lag aside, is this a thing that's even possible? I feel like if it were, then there should be some kind of browser script that would let me input my correction factor and turn a vague blue and white blur into perfectly legible text. Or something AMD or Nvidia would have built into their hardware and drivers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 "Softbans"
5. Re: Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 Apr 30, 2015, 19:16 Orogogus

necrosis wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 19:04:
One of the things this patch fixes is a bug that can corrupt your game save. That is rather serious if you ask me.

The patch readme says saves get corrupted if you use a cheat to upgrade items to +14, past the in-game limit of +10.

"Dark Souls II handles upgrades to +10 in game — anything above that (via cheeeeety means) could, can and will cause unexpected behaviour. Notably, the +14 upgrade will crash the game upon opening the inventory / equipment menu and will prevent you from dropping the item, effectively condemning that character to deletion. Let's avoid that, shall we."

I mean, sure, that's not good. But a savegame corruption that happens because you're messing around with an unbacked-up save kind of sounds like the risk you take. I don't think it qualifies as "game-breaking."

Also, the linked reddit implies pretty heavily that these softbans were in place before the fix, which is getting swept in because of the cheat detection picking up modified clients.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 "Softbans"
3. Re: Dark Souls II DS2Fix64 Apr 30, 2015, 18:46 Orogogus

necrosis wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 18:26:
1) Idiot game maker leaves serious game breaking bugs in game patch after patch.
2) Community makes fix for said bugs which are game breaking of the highest order.
3) Ban players using fix and piss off community even more.

Brilliant!

Game breaking bugs of the highest order? What are they? As far as I can tell the fix does 3 things, 2 of which are related to cheating or modding -- upgrading items past +10, and "mis-tagged text strings that may or may not be voluntarily introduced into your world (read between the lines...)".

The third thing is a bug, in that weapons degrade twice as fast as they should. Which is bad, yes. But game breaking of the highest order? I think I've seen a lot worse than that before.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2015, 18:58.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 24, 2015, 15:58 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:51:
ED was absolutely released too early for what is probably contractual obligations.

I don't agree. From what I can tell, the game as it stands compares very well against the previous Elite games. You very, very often hear fans of old games say that all they want is the old game with modern graphics, and this largely meets that goalpost -- the main missing features being that you can't land on planets, and there are fewer ships.

To me, at least, it makes sense to start from that basis as 1.0 and build upwards.

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
38. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:11 Orogogus

If they were going to outlaw free mods, wouldn't the vast, vast majority - about 99.93% - of the Skyrim mods on the workshop no longer be free, or have been removed? Wouldn't they have made the default paid instead of free?  

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
106. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 01:53 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:19:
Yeah you'd probably see that more frequently later on in the game life cycle when people have a good idea of what mods they are going to want before the buy the game. Might get a bit of sticker shock there when you've not even bought the game yet and see that the mods you want add up to $50.

I feel like this would be a statistically insignificant edge case. I can't think of many instances where I was interested in mods before I actually had the game. There are only a few occasions where I was even aware of which DLC or expansions were good (some of the Mass Effect ones, some for Borderlands, and, uh... the expansions for any given Blizzard game, I guess).

Also by that time most games are like $5 on Steam, which is probably the most effective piracy deterrent.

News Comments > King's Quest Trailer
6. Re: King's Quest Trailer Apr 23, 2015, 23:18 Orogogus

I think as adventure games go, the King's Quest games are extraordinarily light on background and world-building. More than any other adventure game series I don't really understand what the license is good for. You could just make an adventure game with castles and trolls and whatnot and say "spiritual successor" in interviews. If the game is fundamentally good or bad the name shouldn't matter.  

97. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 23:11 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:53:
Already several mods thy I used for Skyrim are now pay only on Steam and have been removed from Nexus.

How many could you have been using? There are 18 paid mods right now, right? I know the Wet and Cold one has been mentioned, but the other 17 don't look anything whose absence would cripple the game. Surely there's something in the 25,240 still-free mods that could fill the gap?

81. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 21:08 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:00:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:39:
I'd imagine it would mostly be going the other way. People pirating the games would pirate the mods. The scenario of someone a) happy to buy a game, b) not willing to buy a mod, but c) still wanting to play it enough to pirate it, seems pretty unlikely to me. Why would this hypothetical pirate's threshold have been at the mod and not the game?

Because for the mod to exist, the game must first exist. You'll have a lot of people buying the game, playing through it, then see a bunch of mods coming out and being like "Fuck, I just paid $60 for this, I can't really spend more right now... but.... I want to play this mod... *pirate*"

Or someone gets the game on a sale, or bundled with their video card, or some other cheap way, and then sees a bunch of mods costing more than they paid for the base game...

Yeah, but weren't we talking about people pirating the game because they'd already decided to pirate the mod? These scenarios are people who already bought the game, so they don't have to pirate it.

77. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:39 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:32:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:25:

4. We'll soon see mods showing up on torrent sites.

And how soon after until someone starts marketing mod DRM to mod developers? And will pirating those mods lead previously legitimate buyers into just saying "Fuck it" and pirating the base game while they are at it?

If you're gonna pirate the mods, then there's not much reason to not go all the way.

I'd imagine it would mostly be going the other way. People pirating the games would pirate the mods. The scenario of someone a) happy to buy a game, b) not willing to buy a mod, but c) still wanting to play it enough to pirate it, seems pretty unlikely to me. Why would this hypothetical pirate's threshold have been at the mod and not the game?

76. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:35 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:25:
1. Mods in the past could be improved by someone other than the original owner and no one cared. That collaborative freedom will be gone.

I feel like this isn't true at all. That modders and warez groups are two factions often absurdly territorial and possessive over other people putting their names on their work. Like, message board drama dialed up to 12.

62. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:34 Orogogus

chickenboo wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:30:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:26:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:18:
I think the main problem is that now there's no incentive at all for modders to offer anything for free.

What incentive did they have before, other than there not being an alternative? I mean, these people could have just not made mods.

It used to be about being part of a community sharing a hobby.

(rant)

Well, presumably there will still be communities sharing a hobby. So, in answer to jdreyer, that would be the incentive to offer something for free.

55. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:26 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:18:
I think the main problem is that now there's no incentive at all for modders to offer anything for free.

What incentive did they have before, other than there not being an alternative? I mean, these people could have just not made mods.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
21. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 23, 2015, 18:13 Orogogus

If you're pretty sure you're in the minority, doesn't that answer your own question?

The new(ish) Space Hulk game came out as pretty much a 1:1 translation of the board game, and a lot of people hated it, especially the many, many people who never played the board game. Then they videogamed it up and released Ascension, which people liked a lot better. I imagine this would be the same thing. I can't imagine a turn-based WHFB game being well received at all.

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
12. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 14:16 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:41:
Oh, get over it already. If Codies sold off the IP to someone else known for their co-op action RPGs, this wouldn't be such a [lame] surprise.

Do I have anything against Fallout 3? No. But I wouldn't have invoked it to bitch about "a cult franchise to hype up your attempt at a co-op action RPG". I would have picked any other game. Or I could have just moved my goalposts, whatever.

In any case it looks like the original Overlord developers, Triumph Studios, aren't on this so I guess all bets were off. Maybe people were expecting an Overlord-themed rally racer?

8. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 13:56 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:47:
verybad1 wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:44:
ASeven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:42:
IMO this is the worst thing that could happen. I agree that modders should be rewarded but that should be in the form of donations. This will open the door for everyone, good and bad modders, to charge for mods and we'll have no way to know which ones are better.

With this move Steam has thrown PC gaming a lot of steps back. Modders should be rewarded but not this way, this is the wrong way about it.

Try any mod, Risk Free
It's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase. View the full refund policy here.
Free, Paid, or Pay What You Want
With over 24,000 free mods available for Skyrim in the Steam Workshop, there will always be lots to do and explore for free. Now you can also find mods with a specified price, or mods where you can choose how much you wish to support the creators. The price is up to the mod creators

Good luck having a single day trying to find if a mod is for you.

Instead of the buy button, they should replace it with a donate button, that way I don't think anybody would have anything against.

Hell, even EA didn't go this far. Holy fuck.

How do you know how to buy actual games? Word of mouth, reviews, whatever. Go to their website. If you're adamant that modders only deserve donations, then don't even look at the mods with price tags -- I don't get the impression that it's mandatory to go paid. From your tone I get the impression that only utter fucking pond scum would have charged for a mod, so it's unlikely that they were going to make anything you were interested in anyway.

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
9. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:35 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:33:
This is like if Bethesda teased a new Fallout, and it turned out to be a multiplayer team shooter...

Or, you know, an FPS-RPG?

I mean, of all the examples you could have picked...

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
4. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 22, 2015, 20:09 Orogogus

Lorcin wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 20:01:
Seriously how many Warhammer games do we need. I honestly can't keep track anymore.

You're probably thinking of Warhammer 40K. As far as I know for Warhammer Fantasy there's just this being worked on, and Vermintide.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 11:07 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 04:47:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 03:12:
InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 02:50:
True Dat! Full House was the (un)funniest show on TV ever. I could never fathom why it was so popular, I hated it even as a kid. BoB Saget has to take the prize for the most succesful comedian without a sense of humour, thats for sure. At least he is not coming back in this reboot, is he?

I gather that his comedian schtick is nothing like his role on Full House, although I haven't watched it so I don't know whether it's actually funny or not.

Well when he hosted America's Funniest Home Videos (remember that you old fucks!? :)) he had these little stand up one-liners and whatnot, I don't know if he wrote his own material, but Christ the stuff that came out of his mouth was so terrible, I felt embarrased just watching him do his thing.

Yeah, I remember that. But I've heard his standup routines are raunchy and profane, which you wouldn't expect.

EDIT: There are videos on YouTube, of course. It's, uh, as advertised. Lots of swearing. He's definitely not in-character.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2015, 11:13.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 03:12 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 02:50:
True Dat! Full House was the (un)funniest show on TV ever. I could never fathom why it was so popular, I hated it even as a kid. BoB Saget has to take the prize for the most succesful comedian without a sense of humour, thats for sure. At least he is not coming back in this reboot, is he?

I gather that his comedian schtick is nothing like his role on Full House, although I haven't watched it so I don't know whether it's actually funny or not.

1180 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo