Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 996 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
16. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 12:39 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:37:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:29:
On the flip side, an hour is too fast for me. I just don't bother looking. It's too much like playing a freemium game that treats you like your time is worthless. 4-5 times a day might be about right; if they run 6 of them at once for 6 hours at a time then I'll probably check in. 24 times a day is well into piss-off territory.

Actually, GOG adds games every hour, but they stay on sale for 5 or 6 hours, so you don't need to check every hour.

Was it always that way? I'm pretty sure I tried keeping track in a previous sale and was unhappy with how they ran it. If they've changed it around that's good.

Their front page is kind of a mess, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 4, 2014, 12:33 Orogogus

Did he not specifically say "unless you live in Sierra Leone or Liberia"?  

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
12. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 12:29 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:22:
Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 11:31:
I wonder if this whole "Flash sales every hour!" thing really works or leads to that many more visits/sales. Who actually goes and checks their website every hour?

I visited Steam a lot less this past sale b/c there were no flash sales last week: once a day vs. 4-5 times per day. Anecdotal I realize, but I have a feeling no flash sales was an experiment for Steam, and we'll see them return for the winter sale.

On the flip side, an hour is too fast for me. I just don't bother looking. It's too much like playing a freemium game that treats you like your time is worthless. 4-5 times a day might be about right; if they run 6 of them at once for 6 hours at a time then I'll probably check in. 24 times a day is well into piss-off territory.

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
6. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 4, 2014, 12:23 Orogogus

DrSquick wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:16:
Do they feel like the marauding super warriors they are supposed to be? In the lore, Terminators are the rarest and greatest of the already incredible Space Marines. They have power similar to superman it seems. So when games treat them like common infantry it kinda bugs me.

If you want to nerd out, here's a clip from the 40k wiki:
Terminator suits are the pinnacle of armoured protection available to a Space Marine. Each is all but impervious to small arms fire and can even withstand the merciless onslaught of tank-busting Krak Missiles. Terminator Armour, created at the time of the Horus Heresy, is incredibly rare. Space Marines hold it a great honour to be permitted to wear such a suit in battle, and it is only to members of the Chapter's elite 1st Company that this honour is granted. Once trained in the use of Terminator Armour, a Space Marine is counted first among his brothers and is expected to conduct the most difficult of missions and to perform beyond even the lofty standards of the Adeptus Astartes. Boarding Tyranid-infested Space Hulks, launching teleport attacks, Titan assaults and combat actions in extremely hostile environments, such as deep space or volcanic marshland; these are the missions undertaken by Space Marine Terminators.

As that wiki says, Terminators were introduced specifically for Space Hulk, and everything videogamers don't like (Genestealers tearing through them in hand-to-hand, frequent misses and jams) has always been in the board game. It was supposed to be badass vs. badass, where the Terminators awesome but so are the Genestealers.

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
3. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 4, 2014, 12:15 Orogogus

Yeah, from everything I've heard Ascension takes the game away from a direct translation of the tabletop game so you're not obviously getting screwed by random dice rolls, and makes it a better video game as a result.  

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
60. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 20:13 Orogogus

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 19:55:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 17:45:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 16:35:
You've had 2 major massacres after the gun bans

I took a quick look at this because I thought 2 doesn't sound too bad (although it wouldn't be 0, as Wraith claimed) unless they were total mayhem with RPGs, police stations blowing up, helicopters going down in flames, the whole nine yards. These major massacres, over the past 18 years, were apparently 2 dead and 3 dead, where all the victims knew the shooter in question. I feel like by these standards we see major massacres in the US pretty damn often.

Yes, and we have a population of 300+ million, while Oz is 22 million. More people live in the state of Texas than in all of Oz.

Right; so if you increased it proportionally, we'd have gun-related double-fatality "major massacres" 14 times as often, or 28 since 1996. The actual number seems way, way higher than that. I don't know what search to use to get the exact statistic, but looking at school shootings alone I see 30+ US incidents with 2 or more fatalities in the same time period. 8 non-military workplace rampages.

56. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 19:47 Orogogus

Julio wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 18:57:
I find it quite funny that a lot of the anti-GG folks play GTA V.

Aren't people in this thread saying there's nothing misogynistic since violence is applied indiscriminately?

48. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 17:45 Orogogus

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 16:35:
You've had 2 major massacres after the gun bans

I took a quick look at this because I thought 2 doesn't sound too bad (although it wouldn't be 0, as Wraith claimed) unless they were total mayhem with RPGs, police stations blowing up, helicopters going down in flames, the whole nine yards. These major massacres, over the past 18 years, were apparently 2 dead and 3 dead, where all the victims knew the shooter in question. I feel like by these standards we see major massacres in the US pretty damn often.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 3, 2014, 12:45 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 12:20:
WaltC wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 11:41:
The data-cap report is really funny when you think about how weird it is...the consumerist mentions "Comcast" while also pointing out that the GAO doesn't ever mention Comcast by name...and then the "report" seeks throw the wireless standard of a 5GB cap on *Comcast* wired cable...;) The stupid, idiotic hate these consumer-oriented people have for Comcast is just plain loony...! Comcast is no angel--unless you want to compare it to AT&T,imo--but it's common knowledge that Comcast's wired xFinity data cap is 250GB/mo (the envy of many a Canadian), and is rarely enforced even at that. My own wired data cap is non-existent (Cogent)--I just don't have one. Spare me the would-be nerds who write these weird articles, please...;)

Well, there's always someone on the internet to defend anything.

I'm not sure what he's even arguing. The article very, very clearly says that the 5 GB cap is what you get for a plan that's $5 cheaper. It explains why it's bringing this up: "And while competition among wireless companies has resulted in low-threshold data plans that offer value to infrequent users, the GAO did not find comparable offerings from fixed broadband providers."

I always used to wonder about people who couldn't figure out those reading comprehension questions on the SAT. Why is the Consumerist bringing up Comcast's 5 GB plan?

A. To highlight what a great deal Comcast is offering
B. Because it's an outrage that Comcast is limiting everyone to 5 GB/month
C. To show how much worse Comcast is than other broadband providers
D. To show that low-tier broadband offerings have failed to mirror deep discounts on low-tier wireless plans

I mean, c'mon.

News Comments > Thanksgiving Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Thanksgiving Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 27, 2014, 14:08 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 13:51:
This would be really neat.. with a budget 20 times higher, full blown 3D and a proper story.

But as it stands, just another FTL alike

"Just another?" What are some of the other ones? I can't really think of any off hand, although I don't follow the crowdfunds that closely.

News Comments > Getaway Day Legal Briefs
11. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2014, 13:32 Orogogus

This is exactly like China, or any other country. A company doing business in a foreign country usually has to abide by the laws of both. You tried to blame this situation on the US courts, which is absurd, and then on Google, which isn't much better. As far as I can tell, most US citizens think the EU law falls on the wrong side of censorship, and would not be behind Google if it abandoned our principles for yours. It's a bad place for Google, and I suppose if the EU pushes hard enough that they'll have to get out like they did with China. I just think it's weird that you're acting like the EU has nothing to do with this and it's everyone else's "fault."

US law does not apply in the EU

And German laws don't apply to German companies operating in China? I don't think this has been answered.

9. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2014, 12:47 Orogogus

Orwell was concerned about privacy from the government, which I don't think this affects. But if you're going to protect privacy, call it that. "Protecting" data by erasing it, obfuscating it and limiting access to it is classic doublespeak. Down the memory hole it goes.

Still curious, though -- are German companies operating overseas not bound by German laws? Is the general European attitude that companies who want to work in, say, China, should just set up a separate company, stepping outside their EU jurisdiction, and do things the PRC way? I mean, EU, whatever, but if Google set up a separate Chinese company and handed over everything the Communist government asked for they'd get tons of shit in the US.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 02:35 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 01:22:
The link you posted is a pretty piss poor study. It is only taking data from one city, which is a high crime city to begin with. You still can't know that for sure if having a gun increases your chance of getting shot as all of these studies come to a false conclusion because they don't count for the unreported number of times a gun is used in self defense without being a shot being fired. I'd like to see one that takes into account the ~100,000 per year as reported by the NCVS plus the estimated unreported 500,000 by the CDC or the others at 1-2.5 million.

The two data sets are fundamentally incompatible, since as as far I can tell the studies are approaching their results from opposite directions. The Philadelphia study only counted people who got shot, and the CDC study only counted gun owners who went to get their firearms in response to a suspected intrusion. They're not even looking at the same type of crime.

If I read the first study correctly, they looked at the shooting victims and found that most of them had guns at the time, despite the proportion of gun owners being relatively low. I don't see this as a "piss poor" or a false conclusion, although I would have phrased it the other way around: people who get shot are more likely to have guns. It would make it clearer why unreported self defense cases aren't relevant, anyway. As noted it's geography-specific, but they do say that results may not be applicable to non-urban areas.

7. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2014, 00:02 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 23:00:
Google basically had to eat this judgement and the results because the US courts made it illegal for GOOGLE to actually follow the EU laws.

Hence my saying this is something the US courts caused

Wait, so German laws don't apply to German companies operating out of the country?

EDIT: I have to say that "data protection" is one of the more Orwellian terminologies I've heard in recent years. Privacy is well and good, but this is the opposite of protecting data.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2014, 00:22.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2014, 18:03 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:56:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:42:
Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:26:
Psychopathic?

Right, because that's going to produce a ton of meaningful discussion.
Well, as others have mentioned here in the past, EA has come a long way from EA Wife and has repeatedly earned "Best Places to Work" awards.

But I will just assume most here think those are bought.

The LGBT award is a culture war thing. Some people hate what it represents and WaltC is sure as hell one of them. If this becomes a discussion I think it's just going to be a dogpile.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2014, 17:42 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:26:
Psychopathic?

Right, because that's going to produce a ton of meaningful discussion.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
15. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 15:22 Orogogus

SirKnight wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 13:58:
App Game Kit 2 was 33% just a little while ago, now it's 66%. Glad I waited a few minutes.

Must have been a price mistake. It's 33% again now.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon Nov 26, 2014, 14:21 Orogogus

There's a second trailer on the Steam page with gameplay, which is what I assume J watched. It looks a lot like Rites of War (not a huge surprise). They sure crammed in a lot of units. Steam reviews are positive, too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312370/

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
17. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 18:30 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 18:15:
I know that, but it's another example of policy changing to affect us all, in response to a minority abusing the system.

If Valve's description is accurate, isn't it "us" who get screwed by trading away a game for a gift that then gets revoked? If their reply was that it's only a minority of people who get victimized, that wouldn't fly at all.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 Orogogus

His tweet was "Going to rape some girl soon #fragbitemasters". Asking for trouble in my opinion; if he'd just said rape he'd still have gotten in trouble but it would have be more defensible. As it is, he's the one who brought gender into it. To defend it you have to argue that it's okay to joke about rape to women. Never going to fly, and hard to imagine how he could have made it worse.

"Going to forcibly penetrate underage opponent in non-consensual fashion, brb."

996 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo