Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1067 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 21:14 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 20:39:
Neither of those estimates seems realistic to me, there's just too many unknowns to estimate further than 10 years out. I agree with you on the fundamentals, just not the timing. Sadly I don't think there is much we can do about it anymore, the rapid industrialization of China is going to cook the planet slowly. By the time they start getting serious about carbon emissions in a meaningful way the damage to the ice caps could be irreparable. It's pretty depressing to consider the world my children's children will be facing.

China's emissions are high in large part due to their large population, which they've taken fairly extreme measures to stabilize. Per capita, their emissions are a little higher than the EU, while the US is about double either one.

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/GCP/images/per_capita_co2_emissions.jpg

On the population side there's not much more China can do; mandatory abortion already gets a lot of people's hackles up, and they have their own elderly health care crisis in the works. So it comes down to efficiency, in a situation where their per capita emissions are already half those of the US.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Early Early Access
16. Re: Medieval Engineers Early Early Access Feb 11, 2015, 18:13 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 17:13:
Frontier is claiming Elite is done. It feels undone, as it's missing a lot of critical features that they're still adding. The engine is done, but the game appears not to be finished.

In what way? I see people complaining a lot that there's nothing to do, but that's kind of how the previous games were. Off hand things most things that are missing are due to insurmountable technical limitations -- e.g., you can't drop off remote miners because you can't land on planets or moons, and you can't do that because the technology isn't there to build entire planets, some heavily populated, that look good. They also need more ships from what I hear, but for the most part it seems to me that they've managed to mostly recreate F:E2 in a modern engine, which seems like a reasonable baseline for a "done" game.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Patch
27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 12:58 Orogogus

Euro Truck Simulator has even less than that going for it, and people seem to like that well enough.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Evolve Drivers
12. Re: NVIDIA Evolve Drivers Feb 11, 2015, 03:15 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 02:25:
|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 01:55:
mellis wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:24:
It's odd, but the monster artwork in Evolve looks like it was lifted straight from Shiny's Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Compare Evolve to Giants: Citizen Kabuto - uncanny?

Uncanny? I mean, they're both big monsters with lots of teeth I suppose.

But outside of that, no

I think he meant the design of the ads. Both have a large toothy monster head on the right, with the monster's flying opponents holding guns on the left.

You can see the image he linked if you go to the parent URL (www.armchairempire.com) and then to his URL, and it looks like he just means the monster, like he said. And like Raptor said, they're both just big, strong brute-type monsters. Like trolls from the LotR films.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2015, 03:59.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
13. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 12:34 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 12:29:
NewMaxx wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 12:12:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:57:
What was he doing?

Isboxing mostly with bots, not long after release I was at his place and watched him run four bots at once that automatically got and sold gear on a consistent basis. He actually makes a living off such tactics in various games in a 250k house, no job.

Anyway, I know he was hit by this because he told me...outright said he's going to GD.

What is GD?

Grim Dawn. I didn't get it at first either but he said it in his previous post.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
895. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 9, 2015, 18:30 Orogogus

You can sell them for their normal full price, too, from what I hear.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
881. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 6, 2015, 17:39 Orogogus

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 17:09:
On the 1.1 update they are implementing a way to sell exploration data by page instead of one by one.

Why don't they just put in a "sell all" button?

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter
35. Re: Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Feb 5, 2015, 11:08 Orogogus

Zanderat1 wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 10:16:
Are we talking current games? Because in my mind, Wizardry 8 is still the king of FP RPGs.

W8 is by no means an action FP RPG, though.

Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic are closer to UU, but those are pretty old at this point.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Get to Work Announced
9. Re: The Sims 4 Get to Work Announced Feb 5, 2015, 07:06 Orogogus

verybad1 wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 01:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 23:41:
I heard this was a mistake, this was an internal memo...

I meant the entire game, not just this DLC. The whole game is built around selling more DLC, it's not a complete game or anywhere near the value of one for the price they charge. It's sad really that something like this can actually succeed...

From people who've played it (and, you know, like this kind of game), I hear it's actually pretty fun and generally improved over the last game, even without expansions. Some features have been removed, but for the most part what they took out does work towards making it a better game.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Feb 4, 2015, 13:09 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:02:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 11:28:

That happens, but you guys are hoping that it debuts right in the bundle, which I think is taking optimism a little far.

My original comment was a wish for a future bundle with the XW and TF games. I had no expectation they'd appear in this one.

Fair enough, but the next three guys are talking about this Humble Bundle, which just doesn't seem realistic.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Feb 4, 2015, 11:28 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 11:25:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 04:32:
Humble Bundle doesn't sell GOG keys and that's the only place X-Wing & TIE Fighter are currently available, why would you have any hope or expectation that it's going to happen?

yeah...because you know...there aren't any games that first get released on GOG and than later on Steam. That never happens. Rolleyes

and besides that...I mean...fuck optimism. Stop it with that optimism crap. Rolleyes2

That happens, but you guys are hoping that it debuts right in the bundle, which I think is taking optimism a little far.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
17. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 4, 2015, 11:26 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 07:48:
You also have to look at the other costs of developing a console game. Meeting the standards of the console makers, paying for their dev kits(which is per person on the dev team I think) and passing their QA processes.

There is also a definite difference in the buying habits of PC gamers and console gamers. Most of the people I know who own consoles automatically buy GTA or CoD games or any of the popular 'must have' AAA blockbusters. That mindset seems much less prevalent on the PC where a wider variety of genres and tastes come into play.

Out of 6 gamers I know at work, the only game 5 of them play is LoL.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
20. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2015, 04:52 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 22:33:
Tom wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:14:
This seems to come up every 6 months or so and everyone conveniently overlooks how easy it is to opt out of the ABP whitelist. At least this article explains that ABP is trying to get ads to conform to some minimum standard of decency and strike a balance.

Yeah, I don't mind the idea behind it that much. Obviously ads are what keep most websites alive, and if everyone just blocks every ad, there'd be far, far fewer interesting websites to visit. (or every one of them would turn to subscription-based models.)

I allow the whitelist through, and so far I haven't had any issues with it. I don't mind a small unobtrusive ad sitting in a corner of a webpage. However, the first time I see an ad from that whitelist that is obnoxious, I turn the entire shit off and never deal with them again. In essence, it's in these whitelisted companies' own hands. Either advertise normally, without being irritating fucking cockbags, or don't advertise at all.

This doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend, but it IS marketing people on the other side of the equation, and they are some of the dumbest fucking dipshits on the planet, so who knows how long it'll last.

So far it's worked fine.

Did you read the article? The criteria for being on the whitelist are "advertisements must be transparent about being ads, must be appropriate to the site they’re being served on, and must not distort or disrupt the page content, among other criteria." Presumably if you saw an ad that was that obnoxious it would be removed from the whitelist.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Feb 4, 2015, 04:32 Orogogus

Humble Bundle doesn't sell GOG keys and that's the only place X-Wing & TIE Fighter are currently available, why would you have any hope or expectation that it's going to happen?  

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
11. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2015, 22:14 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:59:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:30:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:08:
A lot of times when I checked the PC for the past couple years for EA the PC seemed to be just a little under 1/2 the console sales, which is divided by 2 making the 3 platforms relatively equal. No big either way.

Well, check it out right here for EA (scroll down to the penultimate spreadsheet). Based on past sales, their PC (and browser games) total net revenue (GAAP) is estimated to be fluctuating within a pretty close range of 16% to 23% max between Q3/2014 and Q3/2015.
Total consoles revenue is estimated to be within a range of 61% and 71% so the PC sales are more like 1/3 of console sales.

In that I would say then divide consoles by 4 since it is 4 different units, each needing to be programmer for. So sure when one says consoles blow away a pc, that is 4 different consoles, divide it up and the PC in EA's world is equal (many times a bit larger) when divided.

FWIW

I'd expect 3 additional console versions of a game put together require a lot less time and money than 1 PC port, especially given how unhappy people get when a PC port is better in every single way than the console original, but not up to PC master race expectations.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 3, 2015, 17:52 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 17:05:
At the very least you're getting an entire suite of games that don't exist on PC at all. Can't say that about PS4 & XB1.

Eh. Especially in the XB1's case, there's enormous backlash for games not having a simultaneous PC release at the same time that that people complain about the lack of exclusives making the purchase not worthwhile.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2015, 02:49 Orogogus

Eh, his objections in October are on the record, and he correctly predicted what would happen if small businesses were allowed to bid at a discount and then sell to large carriers. Are you basing everything on the (R)?

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-14-146A3.pdf

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 31, 2015, 19:02 Orogogus

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 18:46:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 11:59:
Well if our entire country were about the size of California, we wouldn't have such problems laying out fiber everywhere either.

That classic bullshit line doesn't pan out, sorry buddy nice try. Why aren't the big cities in the U.S wired as fast as other countries at their price then? Seems to be the big U.S cities are pretty densely populated... or am I mistaken?
And now look at a country like Estonia, which isn't densely populated at all, how are they able to kick your ass? magic? Why be an apologetic for the sorry state of broadband in the u.s, why be their lapdog.
Why aren't the big cities in the U.S wired like Seoul? Magic?

Estonia looks about the same as the US, according to www.netindex.com. Average download Mbps: 34.6 Est. vs. 32.7 USA. 19 vs. 10 upload, though. To be honest after all the haranguing on these boards I'm surprised to see that the data for Europe isn't a lot faster. The UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal are actually slower than the US, on average, and most of the Mediterranean is dire, like half the speeds. But Sweden and Romania have their stuff together, and woo Japan and South Korea. Canada shows as significantly worse off than the US; Australia is worse than that, which seems strange since I thought they had a very high proportion of their population in urban areas.

EDIT: Data by price. US citizens pay more than the EU on average per MB, slightly less than the G8 average. Australians still get rooked. Israelis pay about 4 times less than US citizens, Venezuelans pay about 8 times more.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2015, 19:11.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2015, 15:40 Orogogus

Insofar as smoking pot is a hobby, I don't think anything sees nearly as many research publications going both ways as marijuana.  

News Comments > Into the Black
35. Re: Into the Black Jan 29, 2015, 04:27 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 11:57:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:34:
Not compared to anything. Watching Ghostbusters 2 is a worse use of time than arguing with strangers on the Internet. What gem of writing stood out? What example of perfect comedic delivery did it have to offer? If I've forgotten something good then maybe you can provide a quote or a YouTube clip?

Whoa, a stranger asking to be swayed on the internet! Mwahahaha!

I'd argue the courtroom scene was one of the best scenes of Ghostbusters 2, where they are getting persecuted as frauds, Rick Moranis has some great work as a lawyer, some well played stock NYC characters and judge do some work, then of course they have to break out their proton packs and...bust...some...ghosts.

The problem with Ghostbusters 2(or 3 for that matter), is similar the 2nd Matrix... the major cats are out of the bag, they are staring up at a colossal first film that was entirely new, and all the sequel can do is let people down, who felt the first film was near a religious experience.

I accept your thanks for reshaping your world view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-Jv4_viQw

I don't know, I watched the scene and found it cringeworthy. And this is your high point.

1067 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo