Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 956 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
53. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 11:24 Orogogus

JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:45:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:34:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 02:11:
From what I've read you get vision fatigue from focusing on the screen so close to your eyes, removing the rift can take quite a while to recover normal vision.
You're focusing at infinity, so it doesn't matter how physically close the screen is to your eyes. There can be an issue if you're constantly looking at things that are close to you in the simulated environment, though.

This is the arguement Oculus makes, but I'm not buying it.

Your eyes are focusing on something right in front of your face. Whether that image represents infinity or duckies or bunnies or what not is up to your brain to interpret - it is not going to prevent eye strain to the physical parts of your eye that are focusing on the screen 4" from your eyeball.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

It seems to me that if you're wearing glasses, or looking out a window, it's your brain that decides that it's looking at the image beyond the glass. Logically, it seems to me that if you were able to produce an image convincing enough on a VR screen, neither your brain nor your eyes would be able to tell that the image was actually 4 inches from your face rather than out there. Like, I don't think you get eyestrain looking at a mirror.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
41. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 19:22 Orogogus

fiftykyu wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:50:
A game that combined Elder Scrolls style open world with Dark Souls style combat might be a lot of fun. Seems Bethesda have gone in the opposite direction since Morrowind, though. Got the impression Witcher 3 was going for that combination, i.e. player skill based instead of mash R1 to kill everything, but we'll see how it turns out...

You feel Morrowind was the epitome of player skill in combat in an Elder Scrolls game?

News Comments > Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects
14. Re: Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects Jan 6, 2014, 14:03 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:59:
Task wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:56:
Tell Tale originally worked with Lucas Arts making the SW space sim games I think.

Disney probably don't care though.

I'd never heard of that, but if true, I'd feel bad for whoever at TT was working on that. There's absolutely no way in hell it could live up to peoples astronomical (no pun intended) expectations, no matter how good it was.

Probably confusing Telltale with Totally Games, I think.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Jan 5, 2014, 15:16 Orogogus

I'm with Beamer. Those jokes weren't funny the first time. If that's your idea of funny or worthwhile, there are boards that let you post images and talk in memes instead of content.

But, whatever. If you have some compunction about using the ignore feature, complaining about posts you don't like doesn't seem much better.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
85. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 3, 2014, 11:19 Orogogus

BitWraith wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 08:59:
Gog knows they won't be coming back, or they wouldn't have made that melodramatic post saying they were going away. Otherwise, they would have said "The Fallout Games are temporarily unavailable."

Ha. Well, you'd hope they wouldn't do that again, anyway. Every time I'm about to buy something from GOG I think about that whole fiasco and that rambling interview where they were dressed up as monks, and about 3/4 of the time I end up not clicking Buy.

News Comments > New Year's Safety Dance
40. Re: New Year's Safety Dance Jan 2, 2014, 16:29 Orogogus

JayDeath wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:46:
Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 11:08:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 02:22:
I gather the conspiracy theorists think a missile hit the Pentagon, but what do they believe happened to the plane and everyone in it? Wouldn't that be a much bigger deal than a missile hitting the Pentagon? If it blew up somewhere else, then what about all this fuselage and wing business? Does the conspiracy run so deep that they have guys hauling wreckage sworn to secrecy?

Also, what's the point? I'd think any government agenda enabled by planes being hijacked and the towers falling down would have been just as effectively enabled by planes being hijacked and the towers merely being damaged. Is the idea that the public wouldn't have been on board unless the towers fell down, and the Pentagon... what, sustained 900 points of structural damage instead of 230? Planting explosives in the towers and and shooting missiles at the Pentagon seems like a lot of coverup work compared to just letting the planes do their thing and running with that.

You know what the worst part is?
There was plane wreckage on the lawn of the Pentagon!

No, it wasn't. Look again with your eyes open this time.

Is this the fuselage and wing thing? There's a picture on wikipedia of a plane part on the lawn, but I'm not an exploding plane expert, so whatever. But what happened to the plane if it didn't get blown up in and around the Pentagon? There was a Flight 77, with a crew and passengers, and there isn't now. What's the simpler, common sense explanation for where they went if they didn't get blown up at the Pentagon? Wikipedia suggests that most of their remains were found and identified, which makes this scheme sound extremely complicated.

News Comments > New Year's Safety Dance
32. Re: New Year's Safety Dance Jan 2, 2014, 02:22 Orogogus

JayDeath wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 15:16:
All you have to do is look at the Pentagon 911 attack and use your common sense and knowledge of the world to see that there is some kind of conspiracy going on. We were told that a Boeing airliner hit the pentagon. Where's the wreckage of the plane? Where are the wings? Where is the fuselage? The grass wasn't even scorched by the remaining fuel that would have combusted. Once you've come to the conclusion that an airliner didn't hit the pentagon, the only other explanation is some sort of coverup. It's sickening.

I gather the conspiracy theorists think a missile hit the Pentagon, but what do they believe happened to the plane and everyone in it? Wouldn't that be a much bigger deal than a missile hitting the Pentagon? If it blew up somewhere else, then what about all this fuselage and wing business? Does the conspiracy run so deep that they have guys hauling wreckage sworn to secrecy?

Also, what's the point? I'd think any government agenda enabled by planes being hijacked and the towers falling down would have been just as effectively enabled by planes being hijacked and the towers merely being damaged. Is the idea that the public wouldn't have been on board unless the towers fell down, and the Pentagon... what, sustained 900 points of structural damage instead of 230? Planting explosives in the towers and and shooting missiles at the Pentagon seems like a lot of coverup work compared to just letting the planes do their thing and running with that.

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
23. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 21, 2013, 11:35 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 01:44:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 19:34:
You are so misguided in your anger, it's bordering on comical. You don't think Steam wants your money? This isn't their decision, it's the publisher calling the shots in deciding how their product is distributed. Cross-region second-hand markets that exploit price differences are highly offensive to the people who own the properties, and should probably be illegal outright. This is just them closing that loophole. And did you ever think it might even be the politicians in your country pressuring Valve and/or the publishers to not allow the indirect sale of outlawed media? Maybe you should find a new place to live, if you're not allowed to buy what you want there... You're all about free trade, so why the hell are you living in a place that doesn't allow it? Take some time to think about what you're saying before you say it.

So, I'm misguided and then you repeat what I wrote?
Oh, and "find a new place to live, if you'r enot allowed to buy what you" want to play the games. I find this comical.
Again (maybe you can read and comprehend it now): Steam and most of the publishers are in the US. Why do they bow to OZ and Germany? Show them the finger and sell the games internationally, even at the higher prices. What are they afraid of? OZ and Germany invading the US?
"You're all about free trade, so why the hell are you living in a place that doesn't allow it?" They got "free trade" here. For the companies. Not for the people. Same in the US, obviously.
"Take some time to think about what you're saying before you say it."
That is like seeing the mote in one's brother's eye without noticing the beam in one's own. Troll on!

No, I'm pretty sure the majority will be against you in this one. Is your argument really that the US is bigger than Germany and Australia, so Valve should sell whatever it wants into those countries regardless of local laws? If that's how it worked, companies would be selling guns and drugs, not video games. Valve could lobby the government to pressure Germany into changing its laws, but it's not going to carry on like the days of the banana republics.

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
20. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 20, 2013, 19:46 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 16:46:
Julio wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 16:29:
Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:27:
The solution is to region-lock, and charge according to what people can afford. Everyone wins.

Except consumers in countries that are getting gouged with artificially high prices. The corporations can export jobs to low cost countries, but won't let the people take advantage of importing from low cost countries.

But it isn't artificially high anywhere. Ok, I guess Australia.

Anywhere else? The Western nations are the ones the price is being set for. The other nations get artificially low pricing.

I think Brazilians pay a lot for video games for some reason, possibly extremely high import taxes.

Also, I believe the video game industry exports a lower proportion of jobs compared to most other sectors. So logically you'd want to reward that, yes?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 19:35 Orogogus

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 19:10:
nin wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:28:
WaltC wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:11:
Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 13:57:
That Mac Pro was assembled in the USA. Cutter, how many of the manufacturers you buy from can even say that?

Assembled in the USA--made in China. (You forgot about that, I guess.)

No. He was referring to the fact that it at least contained some US labor, compared to any other number of companies that have none at all.

If I remember correctly, there is zero US labor involved in something like this that's "assembled in the USA".

It'd fully automated machines that are design, build and maintain by Chinese employees on cheap visas. It's all marketing to help people think they are bringing jobs back to USA, even though they aren't.

There are rules governing this, and you're not allowed to say "assembled in the USA" -- which Apple has said, in so many words -- for basic repackaging operations.

http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

Assembled in USA Claims

A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the productís last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. Thatís why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesnít usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.

Example: A lawn mower, composed of all domestic parts except for the cable sheathing, flywheel, wheel rims and air filter (15 to 20 percent foreign content) is assembled in the U.S. An "Assembled in USA" claim is appropriate.

Example: All the major components of a computer, including the motherboard and hard drive, are imported. The computerís components then are put together in a simple "screwdriver" operation in the U.S., are not substantially transformed under the Customs Standard, and must be marked with a foreign country of origin. An "Assembled in U.S." claim without further qualification is deceptive.

In any case, I don't understand why you guys, including several forum regulars, are engaging Cutter on this. This isn't going to be a frank exchange of ideas. What do you see as the endpoint other than name-calling and insults?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
55. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 15, 2013, 09:42 Orogogus

Julio wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 07:33:
RamataKahn wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 01:53:
I can't believe people think this game is P2W, learn what it means idiots.

I'm curious why you don't consider it not being P2W, nevermind actually - you're probably the moron dropping $500 on these.

From 30 seconds of reading their site: The $500 pay-to-win mechs allow you to collect cbills faster. Cbills are used to buy better tech. Therefore you get an advantage in time over other players. SC ships are the same (I wonder how many decades it would take to earn enough in SC for a $15K ship).

To me, that's pay-to-win. Of course the people who aren't skilled at gaming and need to buy extras wouldn't think so. They'd like to justify those $500-$15,000 purchases as not being pay-to-win. Because that way they can feel like they are good players. If you're buying anything in a game that gives you any advantage (such as time) then you're pay-to-win.

In practice, it depends on the game. The way MWO is now, you can only pilot one 'Mech at a time, and there aren't any tiers like in War Thunder or World of Tanks. The most expensive 'Mechs in the game can be earned and equipped by a casual player in a month or so -- 'Mechs cost 14M C-Bills at the top plus a few million for equipment, and you make about 700K/hour, so say 30 hrs of play. Then maybe a couple more months to Elite them for additional minor bonuses -- again, assuming casual play. And that's it as far as "to win" goes. And that 14M 'Mech isn't even necessarily the best one.

Right now, without the metagame in place, the main thing to do with more game money is buy more 'Mechs and equipment so you can switch around. There's no endgame content yet that that you need to grind for years or pay money to buy. So I wouldn't consider the game pay to win, because the bar for winning is really low.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 13, 2013, 12:54 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 11:56:
Verno wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 09:39:
Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 23:22:

We need to just scrap the whole Federal government. It's become utterly pointless, and all it does is meddle in shit it has no business meddling in to begin with (education, for example.) Let every state handle its own business, and we all just pay a defense tax to pay for the army.

Errr ok I know you're frustrated dude but this is just way too out there. Half of the states would be bankrupt shitholes without federal money, not to mention all of the other trade and economic benefits. I can't even imagine the nightmare of trying to travel cross country without a federal government. We don't need to go backwards in time to fix the government, we need to elect responsible reps, boot corporate lobbies and interest groups out of Washington and hold people accountable for their actions.

Most of those issues could fairly easily be worked around (the travel just requires an agreement to let state citizens travel to other states freely), though things like the FDA and such would be a hassle to replace. But of course I know it would never happen. Sadly. We'd all be a lot cheaper off.

You can't just pay for the armed forces, someone has to tell them what to do, and if it's not the civilian government that's a bad thing.

It would probably also be an end to our space program.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
88. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 13, 2013, 02:23 Orogogus

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:39:
Ok I can understand the confusion then.

Half Life is packed with "non-linear exploration". Most of the areas in "On A Rail" exist only to find extra health and ammo, which you can skip over entirely. You can miss 75% of that section of the game if you stick to the main path.

Most modern games like the last dozen Call of Duties have nothing like that. The Shadow Warrior reboot did a good job in trying to go back in the right direction.

I feel like this particular kind of non-linear exploration still shows up a lot. It's the "figure out where the game wants you to go, and then go the other way to pick up sweet, sweet loot" thing that makes up like 60% of the Dead Space games, rather than the "map is so damn big it's easy to get lost and have to stop and figure out where you're supposed to be going" in, say, Duke Nukem 3D, DOOM, System Shock or Dark Forces.

It's a valid way to do things, but in Dead Space it got especially ridiculous, and I don't think a game that expects players to pretend to actually worry about their objectives is automatically dumber.

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
55. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 20:32 Orogogus

The GOG page says it's already been patched to 1.1, which would be the 13 year (i.e., disabled) time limit. The way it's laid out seems to say that you need 1.1 to run on Macs, but I think that's a formatting error and they're saying that it's the 1.1 version.

I want to say that at some point the physical version in stores was 1.1, but I can't swear to that.

81. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 20:28 Orogogus

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:16:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:13:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:12:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 18:03:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 17:49:
Health packs and multiple weapons to pick up encourages the player to explore every level. When you just give them everything they need a game quickly becomes a boring run to the finish line for the average person. It's not about "realism" and never was.

It's also not always about exploring and never was. For some games that works. For other games that does not.

Turning quotes around on people only works when I do it.

Also, what I said earlier is something every good level designer from the 1990s onward swears by. Pickups such as healthpacks and more weapons encourages non-linear exploration. Only someone who has no fucking clue about game design would try to argue this fact.

Not every game is about non-linear exploration. Variety is always a nice thing.

Where did I say every game is about non-linear exploration? Do you even know what that is or are you just trying to argue for no reason? Are you drunk?

I don't know, just in the quote tree above you seem to say that every good designer put in healthpacks and weapons to encourage non-linear exploration. -> Good level designers always encourage non-linear exploration. -> Non-linear exploration is always good. I don't think I'm twisting anything around, it doesn't seem hard to see where Beamer is coming from.

In any case, isn't Half Life an extremely linear game? I haven't played Call of Duty, so maybe it really is all corridor -> set piece battle -> corridor, but my recollection of Half Life is that there was generally only one way to go, unlike, say, DOOM or System Shock, where you could pretty easily get lost, especially if they hadn't had the minimaps. It wasn't an exploration game at all, and was full of set pieces like ambushes, boss monsters and helplessly watching people get gruesomely killed.

News Comments > Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release
9. Re: Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release Dec 12, 2013, 19:06 Orogogus

Agrajag wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 18:02:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 16:54:
I'd always assumed this came from the original IBM PC, and PC was shorter than typing IBM when differentiating it from C64s or Apples or whatever.

Yeah, that presumably is the origin, but these days it's been corrupted to mean Windows in places like the above list of supported platforms... After all, these days a Mac is basically just a standard PC, and the only difference is the OS... But, they kept the old terminology from back when it made some sense to describe seperate architectures, and now misuse it where the architectures are all the same but the OS differs...

Right, but C64s and Apples were always PCs, too, as opposed to dumb terminals or main frames. The term isn't a whole lot more wrong now than it was back then, and it's not really like anyone doesn't know what they mean.

News Comments > Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release
7. Re: Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release Dec 12, 2013, 16:54 Orogogus

Agrajag wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 07:04:
(Oh, and saying "PC" to mean "Windows" really annoys me... My PC is just as much a PC, even though it's not running Windows!)

I'd always assumed this came from the original IBM PC, and PC was shorter than typing IBM when differentiating it from C64s or Apples or whatever.

74. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 16:48 Orogogus

descender wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 15:21:
Shields != Health.

Your example of space sims is hilarious, given that shields as you say are regenerating, which makes total sense... and under those shields every ship you are talking about also has health, which has to be REPAIRED and does not regenerate over time.

It creates scarcity, which creates tension, direction, and reward.

You know, "gameplay".

Also, most people couldn't carry 2 guns, let alone dozens of clips of ammo for each and grenades and other assorted "items"... so worrying about them carrying 10 guns or 2 is just splitting hairs. It was clearly done for console control reasons, and no other reason whatsoever.

They're shields in Halo, too. And they don't really make "sense", either, except insofar as they're an accepted trope. There's no technology we have that's anything like a movie/videogame shield.

Health/armor not getting repaired -- and it doesn't, in most space sims -- makes sense to me. It got shot to pieces, fine. The medkits are the goofy part, and they don't have them in space sims and somehow there's no lack of reward there. The question wasn't about the realism, but about the gameplay and whether it's dumbed down or not.

I'm not completely convinced about the most people not being able to carry 2 guns thing. Even the PC heavy realism shooters like ArmA and Red Orchestra seem to allow two guns. And if you took those games and let players carry ten guns, it would appear to me that they'd crossed a line. 10 vs 2 seems pretty tangible to me.

68. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 14:41 Orogogus

descender wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:22:
Health packs are a reward, both for surviving up to that point, and for exploration.

Regenerating health not only removes risk and tension from the game, but reward as well.

And yet it's almost exclusively an FPS thing. Like I said, you look at space sims and virtually all of them (and about half of mech games) have regenerating shields on some or all of the spaceships, and only the arcadiest ones have health pickups to reward you for surviving or whatever.

I don't understand how having different tactical responses to a situation (which allows these situations to be created to challenge the player) is "dumber" than only having 2 responses to a situation (shoot this gun or... that gun).

The same reason games have inventory systems instead of letting you carry every single item with you, forcing you to make choices and play around your shortcomings.

Also to some extent the "people can't carry ten guns including a giant minigun and rocket launcher" thing.

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
32. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 14:17 Orogogus

Icewind wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:57:
harlock wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:26:
F1 had the ultra annoying time limit

Why does everyone whine about that? You get 13 years of in-game time to finish the main storyline...how can you do that? I remember when the game came out, I was working at a software etc. store at the time (Pity me) and people were returning it because of that alone. Though, admittedly, I'm sure it was an excuse since they probably burned the disc and wanted their money.

The first time I played FO1, and this was in 1997 before LPs and video guides, I went through completely blind and never hit the time limit.

Second time, did all the side quests....still no time limit. Truth is, I never knew what people were talking about until the Interplay forums schooled me on the 13 year limit.

In all honesty, how bad do you have to be at the game to hit the time limit? I know revealing your vault's existence to NPCs in dialogue decreases it by a year or two, but how can you hit that ceiling? Are you walking the landscape randomly looking for encounters??

The original release version, before it was patched, had the time limit at 500 days. They upped it to 13 years later, which is enough time to do whatever you want.

956 Comments. 48 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo