Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 930 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII Dec 6, 2013, 13:19 Orogogus

killer_roach wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 02:38:
ShakaUVM wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 01:33:
I never played 8 (past the demo) because of how crappy the magic system was. Steal 100 of a spell to get it permanently? No thanks.

The magic booster might be enough to get me to buy, but - is that all of the spells? Or will you still need to endlessly steal for some of them? It's a deal breaker for me.

Not even close to all of the spells, and a lot of the ones you really want for junctions - Ultima, Tornado, Death, et cetera - aren't in the set.

The CD release at least was really, really easy to edit with a hex editor. The game mechanic just seems so stupidly grindy, I don't even know why they made it that way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII Dec 5, 2013, 21:29 Orogogus

JeffD wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 21:25:
Be prepared.... prepared to spend %40 of your time battling trash mobs so you can stock up on heals.

They did cut out a big part of the trash mob grind, apparently. From the Steam product page:

===

Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 2, 2013, 17:01 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 15:57:
Speaking of Puggle, I've been playing PvZ2 and my hats off to them.

Really? I thought PvZ2 got a lot of bad word of mouth for microtransactions and the alternative of replaying levels to grind out cash in-game.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
18. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 16:46 Orogogus

BitWraith wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 15:30:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 13:08:
Nurgel wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 12:48:
The Dawn of War series doesn't portray them as near as strong as they are in the novels and what not.

To be fair, neither does the tabletop game. Their stat line is about equal to an Ork, and there are a gazillion Orks in the universe.

Technically this is not true. The armor saves space marines get means that a squad of 10 of them can really wreak some havoc on a much larger squad of orks.

That's their power armor. But if I recall correctly the Marine inside used to be WS4/BS4/S4/T4/W1, and I want to say Orks were nearly the same. Less BS, I think. And their I would be lower, which I think hardly mattered back then.

This was in 2nd Ed, but I'd guess the relative balance hasn't changed much up to 6th.

And even with the powered armor... Space Marines are an expensive army, points-wise, and Orks are one of the hordier ones, but even so I'd guess that it was maybe 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 to make a fair fight. I'm sure the fiction has a company of a hundred marines routing thousands and thousands of Orks.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
13. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 13:08 Orogogus

Nurgel wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 12:48:
The Dawn of War series doesn't portray them as near as strong as they are in the novels and what not.

To be fair, neither does the tabletop game. Their stat line is about equal to an Ork, and there are a gazillion Orks in the universe.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
47. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 1, 2013, 01:28 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 23:56:
It's completely backward compatible going back 25 years.

I'd probably say "mostly" backward compatible. Strictly speaking, it would be a bit of work to get a disk drive to run any old games you have lying around, especially for booters. And early Win95/98 games can be tricky - compatibility mode, my foot -- and again in the Glide era.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Trailer
8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Trailer Dec 1, 2013, 00:53 Orogogus

Trevellian wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 21:41:
Why is Games Workshop letting all these failure companies make 40K games?

Last I had heard I thought Creative Assembly was supposed to be making a 40k Total War game, wtf happened to that?

How many failure companies are we talking about? From this and a few other posts below you'd think GW was spitting out six games at once, but as far as I know there's this game, Space Hulk just came out, and I think a different Space Hulk game from the E.Y.E. guys. And then the last titles were Space Marine and Dawn of War II. It's not a ton of games, and to be honest I've always wondered why they don't churn them out, Star Wars-style. They've got a captive audience, and 40K is one of the most video game-friendly properties I can think of.

As far as I know the Total War guys are making a Warhammer Fantasy Battles game, not 40K. Seems like a much better fit for them, anyways.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
69. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 25, 2013, 17:33 Orogogus

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:59:
A well designed encounter however, of the sort you're average 15 year old comes up with or that existed in the Gold Box games, can be challenging and memorable, even when, as you say, you've figured out how the system work. Who has played Pool of Radiance yet doesn't remember the troll and ogre encounter in the Slums? Or the encounter with 40+ various kinds of Hobgoblins on Sokol Keep? In the latter, who WASN'T on the edge of their seat fighting a desperate battle that required pulling out all the stop just to have a CHANCE of survival and victory? What about the Kobold King Throne room? I hate to keep harping on the Gold Box games, but as far as turn-based CRPG combat goes, they really are the pinnacle, even 25 years later.

Pool of Radiance was the high point of the series in many ways, unfortunately. All the other Gold Box games were heavy on trash encounters. I mean, the Mulmaster Beholder Corps was something else, but the dungeon it was in had like two dozen random and fixed encounters against a mix of evil priests and Dark Elves. The Dragonlance games at high difficulty were all, "Welp, 40 more Draconians and five or six dragons. Time to get to work," all the time.

The Buck Rogers games were surprisingly neat, though. And I never played the Savage Frontier titles, don't know if they mixed things up there. But from what I remember most of the encounters in Curse, Blades and Darkness were sloggy blah, and the same for the Dragonlance games. Pools of Radiance did a lot with the map and the town that they never really equaled, much less improve upon.

38. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 18:11 Orogogus

Simon Says wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:00:
I remember the N64 being said to have a weak launch lineup, with Mario 64, Starfox and the likes.

Didn't it launch with just Mario and Pilotwings? Wikipedia suggests Starfox 64 came out like 9 months later.

News Comments > Two New Space Hulk Campaigns
5. Re: Two New Space Hulk Campaigns Nov 22, 2013, 18:02 Orogogus

They used to in 2nd edition 40K, I think they lost it in 3rd edition, I have no idea now. But Space Hulk never worked off of armor saves, shooting was resolved in a single dice roll instead of one roll to hit, one to penetrate armor, and another versus toughness (again, I'm several versions of 40K out of date, so that might have been simplified now).

But a lot of Darks's complaints are kind of that he didn't want a Space Hulk game. In 1st ed. Space Hulk I think flamers killed targets in a map piece on a 2 or higher, so there was a fairly high chance of them surviving a blast. They used to need to roll a six on two dice (i.e., 11/36 chance) to kill a Genestealer, so there bad luck streaks of Stealers marching up 5 squares of shooting were definitely a thing. And he's complained before about Marines going down like tissue paper in hand-to-hand combat against Genestealers, which is pretty key to the board game.

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
18. Re: Fallout 4 Nov 22, 2013, 15:09 Orogogus

Task wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 10:40:
nin wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 10:28:
Its just Elder Scrolls gameplay with Fallout and guns slapped into it.

I'm actually fine with that. Love to see more in the vein of 3 and New Vegas.

And you are not fine or fine with Bethesda stripping out choices for how players want to play Fallout?

The Elder Scrolls engine is so terrible for allowing tactical combat instruction with your followers. Want to run around the Fallout wasteland with a mery band of 3 followers? Good luck instructing them where to stand, where to take cover, what to shoot, where to shoot, etc. So in that way it is exactly like Elder Scrolls game (lacking in tactical strategy with followers, in Skyrim they just kneel down when they lose their health, and they do not die) - and that type of game-play should stay in Elder Scrolls since that is what it is good for.

Fallout 1 & 2 only gave you limited NPC control using broad directives, didn't they?

26. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 14:30 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 14:19:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:49:
Ah, the Ultima VII school of combat. Hit the combat mode button, watch Juggernaut Hammers and Firedoom staff bolts go flying and hand-to-hand guys charging in, and after everything's stopped moving pick up the loot and get back to the game.

I'm assuming this is meant as a sarcastic reply, so I'd like to point out that you had to slog through quite a few hours of pretty difficult combat in U7 before you finally were able to put on that magical armor and wield that Hoe of Destruction. You'd kind of earned your "turn it on and watch shit fly" ability by that point.

It's not sarcastic. I feel like U7 is where this trend started. And while it took time to put that equipment together, the rest still constituted about two thirds of the game, plus the entire expansion pack. And my approach wasn't any different before I got endgame equipment either. I think I steamrolled every fight from randomized mooks to wizards to dragons by just pressing the dogpile button, occasionally casting spells just to see what they do.

23. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 13:49 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:46:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:16:
Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:20:
I dunno, Torment seemed to run fine with real-time with pause. I like turn based in a more strategic game like Wasteland 2, but in Torment, where combat isn't the main focus, I'd rather just get on with it and get it moving.

Yeah but NO ONE speaks kindly of PST's combat.

Funny, I thought I just did.

Combat was so inconsequential in Torment that I was fine with just turning it on and watching my guys wade through the enemies in 10 seconds. I mean, when you're playing a character who literally CANNOT DIE, the entire raison d^etre for combat kinda goes out the window anyway. (Something that Prey never understood, apparently.)

Ah, the Ultima VII school of combat. Hit the combat mode button, watch Juggernaut Hammers and Firedoom staff bolts go flying and hand-to-hand guys charging in, and after everything's stopped moving pick up the loot and get back to the game.

19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 13:36 Orogogus

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:19:
At this point we have a whole generation of gamers that doesn't know any better -- try convincing your average Dragon Age fan to install DosBox and play Pool of Radiance -- so it's awful hard to break through the background aversion to turn-based as "slow, boring, and not immersive."

I love the turn-based combat in the Gold Box games, and Pool of Radiance was probably the best of them, but the journal lookups really ruin the experience. I can't in good conscience recommend it to people for that reason alone; it's like asking someone to put up with Commodore 64 load times.

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 00:26 Orogogus

Ecthelion wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 21:08:
Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:18:
I find it difficult to believe the Xbox One controller can do 40 hours per battery charge too, the PS4 controller is rated at between 8-10 hours full charge to drained. The PS4 controller is only a minor annoyance for me because I was so used to the Dual Shock 3 doing 20-30 hours with that huge battery it had. I wish it was longer but realistically it's not going to affect real world usage much, particularly when most households will have 2 controllers.
Last generation I only owned a PS3 and a Wii. I loved the DS3 (and still do) because every few nights, I just set it in my charging cradle (the official Sony one, not third party crap like I always see for the Wii, so I can't vouch for how well they work). I've never had the battery level drop below 2/3rds full. The DS4 only lasting 8-10 hours is a bummer, but for everyone who games less than that a day (which is most of us I think), it just means charging it every night, which is par for the course for most smartphones. So it's manageable.

What I don't understand is how nobody except me seems to care about game controllers with removable batteries. I have never seen it as a negative point in system reviews, and most gamers just seem to accept it. I hate having to replace batteries, so the first thing I did with my Wii was put rechargeable double A's in the controllers. As anyone who has used these knows, they leave a lot to be desired. If I don't play the Wii for a few weeks, the batteries are dead. So my choices are either use regular batteries that I'll have to replace fairly often, or use rechargeable ones that don't hold a charge very long. Does this not piss anyone else off? I'd like to think I'm not a fanboy, but when I saw Microsoft decided to go with removable batteries AGAIN for the new Xbox I mentally added it to the points against the system.

I'll take an easily rechargeable battery that needs to be charged every night over a controller that needs to have batteries taken out and replaced/recharged every few weeks. This is why I didn't buy a Gameboy Advance until the SP came out. It just feels like such a technological step back to use regular batteries. I guess Microsoft sees more value in longer life per charge/battery than not having to keep swapping them out.

I like batteries better, personally, and I count fancy charging solutions as a minus. My TV's a little far from the couch, so whenever a charging controller did run out of power then I just couldn't play. If I had the discipline to walk it back to the console after every session I wouldn't have the problem, but there you go. I always have rechargeable batteries ready, though. Situation not universally applicable.

News Comments > Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com
19. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 16:24 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 15:51:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:28:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:21:
Boston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:32:
I got Armada at the time, but it was a terrible, terrible game. Just a cheap cash-in on the Wing Commander name.

Hmmm... I don't remember much about the game, but I have fond memories of enjoying split-screen multiplayer in Armada. I think it was the only game in the series to have that particular feature.

It did. That was also all it had. There was basically nothing else.

It had co-op play (over NETBIOS, I think) which made it unique all the way up to... Starlancer, I think.

But what could you do in that co-op play? It was just skirmishes against X number of Dralthis, X number of corvettes, etc. There was little to no point to any of it. Wing Commander was as much about its story and its wingmen as it ever was about the actual battles.

Armada removed all of that and turned it into a shitty version of Xwing vs Tie Fighter.

I'm not disagreeing that it was a shitty game. I bought it back in the day and felt ripped off. The main game was really crap. But co-op in this genre, even just waves co-op, is nearly as unique as split screen.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 13:36 Orogogus

PS3s were relatively stable as far as I know. It was the previous generations where PS2s were noted for drive failures, and the Playstation for overheating because of vents on the bottom or something -- for the longest time I thought they were supposed to be stood on end, and then 15 years later that's how all the consoles were being sold. By the time of the PS3 it seems they had the hardware side mostly ironed out.  

14. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 13:28 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:21:
Boston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:32:
I got Armada at the time, but it was a terrible, terrible game. Just a cheap cash-in on the Wing Commander name.

Hmmm... I don't remember much about the game, but I have fond memories of enjoying split-screen multiplayer in Armada. I think it was the only game in the series to have that particular feature.

It did. That was also all it had. There was basically nothing else.

It had co-op play (over NETBIOS, I think) which made it unique all the way up to... Starlancer, I think.

11. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 13:06 Orogogus

Parias wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:47:
InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:38:
Im tempted with Prophecy, but isnt there basically a free standalone total conversion MOD for Freespace2 that does the same thing and looks much much better?

It's based around a different story though, isn't it? I'd honestly play through both if you want the complete Wing Commander experience since these games are all about story. From my perspective, I don't think I can see them as the same thing as all just because they offer pretty diverse experiences.

Prophecy and the Freespace 2 mod's flight models and controls don't really feel the same, either, if that matters to you. Prophecy is a zippy, fast-paced space action game, Freespace and Saga feel a little more heavy and ponderous.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 12:58 Orogogus

Pigeon wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:13:
Xbox draws less power when in use, except it is always on, so it draws more power. What an achievement in energy conservation.

Aren't the PS3 and Wii both always-on machines? Is the PS4 not?

930 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo