Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1194 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 17:38 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 17:26:
There are lots of make up and practical effects artists though. LOTR's practical orcs and uruk hai were much better than The Hobbit's CG abominations. I realize that they'd look a bit different from the WoW's in-game orcs, but I think that's something you could sacrifice for the sake of telling the story.

Isn't WoW full of not-practical effect friendly races? Like, I gather undead are a big part of the story, and those bull-humanoids have been around a while, right?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam & Dota 2 Records
18. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 18:08 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 16:37:
I'm curious what the average age of a MOBA player is. I'm guessing it's much lower than the overall average age of a gamer which is like over 30 now?

Anecdotal, but when my 25-38 year old coworkers talk about gaming, they mean League of Legends and nothing else. CoD has been extremely popular with my tenants who were in the military, age range 26-32.

My impression is that people play these games because it's what all their friends are playing, which is as good a reason as any.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Trailer
30. Re: Just Cause 3 Trailer Feb 14, 2015, 16:13 Orogogus

Zarkov wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 04:05:
Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 18:47:
Be aware that the normal game, even fully patched, doesn't allow you to get to 100%. There is a mod out there that restores a few missing things which are needed.

I believe on the normal game you can only get to 99.7 or 99.8%
If that bug still exists to this day, it should mean jail time for devs and publisher.

Execution of all involved and their relatives out to the third generation is obviously the only appropriate punishment.

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
36. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 13, 2015, 14:59 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 12:42:
Julio wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 12:13:
Darks wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 08:37:
Turned based sucks for Coop.

It worked well enough for pen & paper D&D...

Please don't try and compare table top turned based games to real time PC-games. there is no comparing the two. night and day dude.

Weren't you really angry at pre-Ascension Space Hulk -- a strictly turn-based affair, nearly a 1:1 translation of the board game -- for not shipping with co-op? I distinctly remember getting dogpiled about this (here).

I agree, though, which was my point back then. In real-time one guy can cover the door while another hacks the mainframe or whatever, or one player can cast cold spells on the bad guys while another hacks them to pieces. But in a turn-based game one player can handle all of this. There's not really a whole lot of player synergy at work.

EDIT: In this case, however, if the point is a shared adventure where there's more room for storytelling and role-playing, then I could see that. As long as the whole thing isn't a dungeon crawl, fine.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
113. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 13, 2015, 12:50 Orogogus

You have actually looked at the whole site, right?

From the About page:

Stephen Quayle™ is a nationally known radio host (Survive2thrive and Coast to Coast), photographer and author of a number of important books including Breathe No Evil, a primer for understanding bioterrorism, first published in 1996. Additionally he has authored:

• Angel Wars - Humanity hangs in the balance, with secret, powerful forces aligned against it.

• Giants - Master Builders of Prehistoric and Ancient Civilizations

• LongWalkers - The Return of the Nephilim

• Blueprint For Survival

• Investment Perspectives on Precious Metals

• Aliens and Fallen Angels: The Sexual Corruption of the Human Race

• Genesis 6 Giants: Master Builders of Prehistoric and Ancient Civilizations
  • Quayle was the first to detail for the public “Gabriel’s Fist” – an asteroid coming toward earth out of Pegasus and on a near-collision course with earth, and how the world’s brightest scientists met monthly to discuss their plans of when to inform the American people. This event has them quaking in their boots

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    108. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 13, 2015, 12:34 Orogogus

Linthat22 wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 12:26:
    2. As far as the coverup, you could look at the list of the dead scientists that have died under unusual circumstances.

From that site:

47-year old NASA Scientist Alberto Behar helped to prove that there had once been water on Mars according to the sad Daily Mail story published to announce his recent death in a plane crash that happened on Friday in LA, California. While plane crashes do happen and scientists do die, Behar's name has now been added to a very long list of scientists and astronomers who have met their untimely ends prematurely, leading us to ask, did Behar know something that 'they' don't want the rest of society to find out?

Awesome. Most of the other entries are less batshit insane, but that's the very first one.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 14:07 Orogogus

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 13:45:
    If democrats know so much about economics and employment, why are Detroit, Cleveland, and other liberal strongholds so blighted?

Because of population decline due to US manufacturing jobs moving overseas over the last 60 years.

I wasn't aware this was something that was even up for debate. There are people who blame this on politics? Pretty much every US metropolitan area is a liberal stronghold.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 21:14 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 20:39:
    Neither of those estimates seems realistic to me, there's just too many unknowns to estimate further than 10 years out. I agree with you on the fundamentals, just not the timing. Sadly I don't think there is much we can do about it anymore, the rapid industrialization of China is going to cook the planet slowly. By the time they start getting serious about carbon emissions in a meaningful way the damage to the ice caps could be irreparable. It's pretty depressing to consider the world my children's children will be facing.

China's emissions are high in large part due to their large population, which they've taken fairly extreme measures to stabilize. Per capita, their emissions are a little higher than the EU, while the US is about double either one.

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/GCP/images/per_capita_co2_emissions.jpg

On the population side there's not much more China can do; mandatory abortion already gets a lot of people's hackles up, and they have their own elderly health care crisis in the works. So it comes down to efficiency, in a situation where their per capita emissions are already half those of the US.

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Early Early Access
    16. Re: Medieval Engineers Early Early Access Feb 11, 2015, 18:13 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 17:13:
    Frontier is claiming Elite is done. It feels undone, as it's missing a lot of critical features that they're still adding. The engine is done, but the game appears not to be finished.

In what way? I see people complaining a lot that there's nothing to do, but that's kind of how the previous games were. Off hand things most things that are missing are due to insurmountable technical limitations -- e.g., you can't drop off remote miners because you can't land on planets or moons, and you can't do that because the technology isn't there to build entire planets, some heavily populated, that look good. They also need more ships from what I hear, but for the most part it seems to me that they've managed to mostly recreate F:E2 in a modern engine, which seems like a reasonable baseline for a "done" game.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Patch
    27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 12:58 Orogogus

Euro Truck Simulator has even less than that going for it, and people seem to like that well enough.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Evolve Drivers
    12. Re: NVIDIA Evolve Drivers Feb 11, 2015, 03:15 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 02:25:
    |RaptoR| wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 01:55:
    mellis wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:24:
    It's odd, but the monster artwork in Evolve looks like it was lifted straight from Shiny's Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Compare Evolve to Giants: Citizen Kabuto - uncanny?

Uncanny? I mean, they're both big monsters with lots of teeth I suppose.

But outside of that, no

I think he meant the design of the ads. Both have a large toothy monster head on the right, with the monster's flying opponents holding guns on the left.

You can see the image he linked if you go to the parent URL (www.armchairempire.com) and then to his URL, and it looks like he just means the monster, like he said. And like Raptor said, they're both just big, strong brute-type monsters. Like trolls from the LotR films.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2015, 03:59.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
    13. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 12:34 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 12:29:
    NewMaxx wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 12:12:
    jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:57:
    What was he doing?

Isboxing mostly with bots, not long after release I was at his place and watched him run four bots at once that automatically got and sold gear on a consistent basis. He actually makes a living off such tactics in various games in a 250k house, no job.

Anyway, I know he was hit by this because he told me...outright said he's going to GD.

What is GD?

Grim Dawn. I didn't get it at first either but he said it in his previous post.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
    895. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 9, 2015, 18:30 Orogogus

You can sell them for their normal full price, too, from what I hear.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
    881. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 6, 2015, 17:39 Orogogus

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 17:09:
    On the 1.1 update they are implementing a way to sell exploration data by page instead of one by one.

Why don't they just put in a "sell all" button?

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter
    35. Re: Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Feb 5, 2015, 11:08 Orogogus

Zanderat1 wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 10:16:
    Are we talking current games? Because in my mind, Wizardry 8 is still the king of FP RPGs.

W8 is by no means an action FP RPG, though.

Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic are closer to UU, but those are pretty old at this point.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Get to Work Announced
    9. Re: The Sims 4 Get to Work Announced Feb 5, 2015, 07:06 Orogogus

verybad1 wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 01:31:
    HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 23:41:
    I heard this was a mistake, this was an internal memo...

I meant the entire game, not just this DLC. The whole game is built around selling more DLC, it's not a complete game or anywhere near the value of one for the price they charge. It's sad really that something like this can actually succeed...

From people who've played it (and, you know, like this kind of game), I hear it's actually pretty fun and generally improved over the last game, even without expansions. Some features have been removed, but for the most part what they took out does work towards making it a better game.

News Comments > On Sale
    9. Re: On Sale Feb 4, 2015, 13:09 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:02:
    Orogogus wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 11:28:

That happens, but you guys are hoping that it debuts right in the bundle, which I think is taking optimism a little far.

My original comment was a wish for a future bundle with the XW and TF games. I had no expectation they'd appear in this one.

Fair enough, but the next three guys are talking about this Humble Bundle, which just doesn't seem realistic.

News Comments > On Sale
    7. Re: On Sale Feb 4, 2015, 11:28 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 11:25:
    Orogogus wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 04:32:
    Humble Bundle doesn't sell GOG keys and that's the only place X-Wing & TIE Fighter are currently available, why would you have any hope or expectation that it's going to happen?

yeah...because you know...there aren't any games that first get released on GOG and than later on Steam. That never happens. Rolleyes

and besides that...I mean...fuck optimism. Stop it with that optimism crap. Rolleyes2

That happens, but you guys are hoping that it debuts right in the bundle, which I think is taking optimism a little far.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
    17. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 4, 2015, 11:26 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 07:48:
    You also have to look at the other costs of developing a console game. Meeting the standards of the console makers, paying for their dev kits(which is per person on the dev team I think) and passing their QA processes.

There is also a definite difference in the buying habits of PC gamers and console gamers. Most of the people I know who own consoles automatically buy GTA or CoD games or any of the popular 'must have' AAA blockbusters. That mindset seems much less prevalent on the PC where a wider variety of genres and tastes come into play.

Out of 6 gamers I know at work, the only game 5 of them play is LoL.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    20. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2015, 04:52 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 22:33:
    Tom wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:14:
    This seems to come up every 6 months or so and everyone conveniently overlooks how easy it is to opt out of the ABP whitelist. At least this article explains that ABP is trying to get ads to conform to some minimum standard of decency and strike a balance.

Yeah, I don't mind the idea behind it that much. Obviously ads are what keep most websites alive, and if everyone just blocks every ad, there'd be far, far fewer interesting websites to visit. (or every one of them would turn to subscription-based models.)

I allow the whitelist through, and so far I haven't had any issues with it. I don't mind a small unobtrusive ad sitting in a corner of a webpage. However, the first time I see an ad from that whitelist that is obnoxious, I turn the entire shit off and never deal with them again. In essence, it's in these whitelisted companies' own hands. Either advertise normally, without being irritating fucking cockbags, or don't advertise at all.

This doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend, but it IS marketing people on the other side of the equation, and they are some of the dumbest fucking dipshits on the planet, so who knows how long it'll last.

So far it's worked fine.

Did you read the article? The criteria for being on the whitelist are "advertisements must be transparent about being ads, must be appropriate to the site they’re being served on, and must not distort or disrupt the page content, among other criteria." Presumably if you saw an ad that was that obnoxious it would be removed from the whitelist.

1194 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo