Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1028 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
35. Re: Into the Black Jan 29, 2015, 04:27 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 11:57:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:34:
Not compared to anything. Watching Ghostbusters 2 is a worse use of time than arguing with strangers on the Internet. What gem of writing stood out? What example of perfect comedic delivery did it have to offer? If I've forgotten something good then maybe you can provide a quote or a YouTube clip?

Whoa, a stranger asking to be swayed on the internet! Mwahahaha!

I'd argue the courtroom scene was one of the best scenes of Ghostbusters 2, where they are getting persecuted as frauds, Rick Moranis has some great work as a lawyer, some well played stock NYC characters and judge do some work, then of course they have to break out their proton packs and...bust...some...ghosts.

The problem with Ghostbusters 2(or 3 for that matter), is similar the 2nd Matrix... the major cats are out of the bag, they are staring up at a colossal first film that was entirely new, and all the sequel can do is let people down, who felt the first film was near a religious experience.

I accept your thanks for reshaping your world view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-Jv4_viQw

I don't know, I watched the scene and found it cringeworthy. And this is your high point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2015, 10:34 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 09:21:
Compared to what? The original movie? Citizen Kane? Its a pair of ridiculous films made enjoyable by Ivan Reitman's writing, and Bill Murray's screen presence.

Not compared to anything. Watching Ghostbusters 2 is a worse use of time than arguing with strangers on the Internet. What gem of writing stood out? What example of perfect comedic delivery did it have to offer? If I've forgotten something good then maybe you can provide a quote or a YouTube clip?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 28, 2015, 08:51 Orogogus

Julio wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 07:26:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 22:44:
Julio wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 21:20:
Ian Bell was clearly the talent when it came to Elite.
What are you basing this on?

The fact that Ian Bell did the key work on the original Elite; and that Elite Dangerous is a disappointment. If Braben was the talent - it would have been a much better game.

Additionally Braben allegedly ripped off Ian Bell showing a lack of ethics. Also did he ever refund those backers who didn't like his Elite Dangerous switch to online DRM from no DRM?

But sure that's the guy who 'deserves' an award. Which reaffirms the GDCA awards are worthless.

Eh. I think Frontier:Elite 2 was a great game (although combat was terrible), and by Ian's own words that was almost entirely Braben. Also by his description, most of the open world nature of the game came from Braben. He lays out very clearly what he was responsible for, in the original wireframe game:

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/b5081501.htm

5. What parts of Elite were you responsible for?

David and I wrote and designed the original 6502 versions. My contributions to the 6502 versions were:

The flight control and combat systems. How your ship behaved, how enemy ships behaved, including when and how they attacked. Missiles, docking, scooping and so on. Moving and rotating things generally.
The graphics for planet, the sun, and the star fields. David did the ships plotting.
The scanner (though this was David's idea and his ellipse design)
The secret missions.
Game save.
Various ship designs, the Asp was my favourite of these.

25. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2015, 08:10 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 21:29:
Although, don't hate on Ghostbusters 2! *Vigo of Moldavia scowls at you*

Of course Ghostbusters 2 wasn't going to be as good as the original, that would be impossible. There are definitely worse sequels though.

"Not the worst sequel ever made" still leaves it plenty of room to be terrible. Not even bad because it wasn't as good as the first movie, just plain bad on its own merits. To quote the Wikipedia summary:

Determining that they need a symbol of powerful positivity to rally the citizens and weaken the slime, the Ghostbusters use positively-charged mood slime, and a remix of "Higher and Higher" to animate the Statue of Liberty and pilot it through the streets before the cheering populace. As they arrive at the museum, the slime begins to recede and they use the Statue's flaming torch to break through the museum's ceiling to attack Vigo and Janosz.

Janosz is neutralized with positively-charged slime, but Vigo immobilizes the Ghostbusters and attempts a transfer into Oscar's body. The positive feelings accompanying a chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" by the citizens outside weakens Vigo, returning him to the painting and freeing the Ghostbusters. Vigo momentarily possesses Ray, and the other Ghostbusters attack him with a combination of proton streams and positively-charged mood slime.

C'mon. That's unwatchable crap.

News Comments > Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans
14. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 28, 2015, 06:05 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 04:17:
InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 02:26:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 19:31:
The dude had a shot at System Shock and made Bioshock. Why do you want him involved?

This. I thought Bioshock was nothing like System Shock, all the great game elements of SS were missing or dumbed down beyond recognition. Not really hopeful its SS anyway.

Yeah, it blows my mind that those who loved System Shock would want more of Bioshock instead! It's a completely different game. As for rating Bioshock by itself, it's boring. The game is basically a linear call of duty with shitty combat and some weapons that aren't guns. The story was somewhat interesting, but I was so bored that I couldn't even finish the game(yes I know all about the twists). Bioshock infinite was the exact same game, but I liked the story slightly better, so I was at least able to finish it, but man, the gameplay sucks.

I don't want Ken to do a System Shock. I want open levels, rpg elements, customization and choices!

I don't know if you're the same person I pick on every time, but it annoys me when people say "System Shock" when they're clearly only referring to System Shock 2. It's like they never even played the first game, and are just assuming it was like the sequel. I liked the first game a lot better, but System Shock didn't really have RPG elements, customization or choices. It did have open levels, ones which really put both System Shock 2 and Bioshock to shame.

7. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2015, 19:00 Orogogus

Julio wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 18:31:
I loved the first Ghostbuster movie, and the second one was ok.

Man, the second one was garbage.

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
29. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 27, 2015, 12:39 Orogogus

Agrajag wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 07:01:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:04:
I dunno, I think I had that discussion briefly on this board. A certain class of FPS player really hates games that limit you to two guns at a time, and trash it as console crap. But, I mean, it seems kind of realistic, yes? And I think the heavy realism games like Red Orchestra and ARMA hold you to one rifle and one sidearm. I thought it was a weird case of "this is what I'm grew up on and is therefore objectively the best."

I think it's more a case of "real life limitations aren't very fun in a game"... When I'm playing a game, I don't want it to be realistic; I want it to be fun... If I want realism, I can go outside... The biggest appeal of video games is they let you do all kinds of unrealistic shit you'd never be able to do in real life... Don't throw zombies and demons at me, then try to toss in some nod to "realism" by limiting how many fucking guns I can carry! We've already agreed to throw real life out the window, so don't half-ass it! You're not making the game more realistic, you're just making it less fun...

I don't think that's it. If that was all there was to it, games wouldn't track ammo, either. And how much does the old school hate regenerating health? A lot. And usually because "it's not realistic," because health packs and turkey platters are much, much more immersive.

Nor is every game DOOM, an over-the-top shootarama. When a game like Half Life 2 does it while pretending to be all immersive, it's just weird. It really feels like something that's there just because Wolfenstein happened to do it that way, and now that's what gamers expect.

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
10. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 15:04 Orogogus

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 14:04:
But really? Their tag line is "Can someone carry a lot of heavy shit?" It's a bad sign when common sense answers your myth easily.

I dunno, I think I had that discussion briefly on this board. A certain class of FPS player really hates games that limit you to two guns at a time, and trash it as console crap. But, I mean, it seems kind of realistic, yes? And I think the heavy realism games like Red Orchestra and ARMA hold you to one rifle and one sidearm. I thought it was a weird case of "this is what I'm grew up on and is therefore objectively the best."

News Comments > Witcher 2 Prompting Linux Kernel Patch
9. Re: Witcher 2 Prompting Linux Kernel Patch Jan 25, 2015, 22:19 Orogogus

Overon wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:35:
DrEvil wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 16:10:
Overon wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 13:03:
The advantages of being open source software. "Devs of game, I will patch the Kernel so you guys don't have to work around the OS." These words are probably never uttered at Microsoft or Apple.

Microsoft has extensive testing and compatibility modifications to ensure applications, such as games, do not break. So casting aspersions that direction is pretty silly as their entire business is built on the promise of compatibility.

However, I will grant you that Apple definitely hasn't proved that they care very much except for the largest vendors (Adobe, etc.).
You have taken a very uncharitable reading of what I said. I know MS test extensively but nobody at MS has ever publicly said what Torvalds said. That's what I was trying to say. I was trying to be very specific too.

Isn't this something people were complaining about 8 months ago, back in May? It's nice that it's being fixed, but I think if Microsoft put out the exact same announcement they'd be raked over the coals.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
8. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 16:04 Orogogus

Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:54:
Rhialto wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:24:
wow, I spent so much time on my C-64 playing the first.

Same, I played more RPG's on my c64 than anything else since. SSI's, Ultimas, Eotb/DM's, on and on and on. Most of which had deep enjoyable gameplay that stands the test of time - especially in the engaging yet difficult aspect.

And who can forget the invisible ink hint books...

I feel Bard's Tale, more than any other RPG series of that era (Wizardry, Ultima, Might & Magic, Phantasie, Wizard's Crown, etc.), doesn't stand the test of time. It's incredibly grindy, like whoa JRPG levels of grind -- people remember casting DRBR on 396 Berserkers, putting something heavy on the space bar and going to lunch, right? And the way magic regenerates in real time, with magic drain zones everywhere, and the extremely limited inventory. No one who played the original has time for that now.

News Comments > etc., etc.
20. Re: etc., etc. Jan 23, 2015, 12:44 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 03:00:
In Germany it's actually illegal to copy your passport... ;p Anyway I am not saying it would be easy, but if not Steam then who has the market power to do this? Steam simply needs to partner with the national level systems that are in place for this, it's not like US/Germany/France/England don't have that already in place, tons of online shops verify your age here when you buy adult only stuff.

I can't speak to other countries, but in the US there is very, very little verification. It's up to the shipper to arrange for the deliveryperson to confirm age of the receiver upon receipt; companies shipping cigarettes & alcohol get caught in sting operations all the time for not even doing that.

That said, verifying age is very easy in Germany.... passport shows your age ;p And you don't even *have* a (real) passport unless you are 18. So the solution here is a physical location (Deutsche Post related) where you register once, and where steam can ask "does this dude have the age to access this?" and done. Could be done 100% anonymous. Now that is a German only solution, but when there isn't a global alternative then Steam simply has to use the national services.... it would not make them into the NSA of GAMES That said, Steam likely knows more about you than the NSA.

If you're giving a company your name, birthday and passport I think that's 75% anonymous at best.

Again, I don't think the US has anything similar. Minors can get "real" passports, although they need a parent/guardian present at time of application. Drivers licenses are administered by the states. And it's frankly intrusive to require this kind of documentation to buy games, just so we can comply with someone else's censorship laws.

And that's to say nothing of the idea of Valve setting up and manning physical kiosks across the world for this sole purpose. I mean, come on.

18. Re: etc., etc. Jan 23, 2015, 01:03 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 00:31:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 15:26:
What kind of electronic age verification works internationally?

And there, you see, is the problem It would be a hodgepodge of national solutions, but either that or censorship.

I get that. But you seem kind of mad at Valve for not having an electronic age verification ("Steam refuses to implement an age check", "we've been complaining about"), when it seems to me that it would be practically impossible without making purchases ridiculously difficult and intrusive.

Like, even if it were US-only, I don't know how they could do that without 1) having way more access than they should have to government databases, 2) making something ridiculously easy to bypass (attach a scan of your driver's license!), or 3) making purchases more difficult than they have to be (credit card only, show up in person to confirm electronic transactions, etc.).

Internationally it would be completely absurd. If they had that kind of capability then they'd obviously be an intelligence agency front masquerading as a video game company.

16. Re: etc., etc. Jan 22, 2015, 15:26 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 06:38:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 05:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 04:27:
The real reason is that Steam refuses to implement an age check, something we've been complaining about for what seems like a decade now.

Either way, from what I hear any of the mentioned games have more or less official uncensor patches flying about. Nekopara certainly had when it released (hosted on MEGA). And once you see what was censored it makes sense that they couldn't sell that on a store without a age check.

Steam has an age check. Any game with violence requires it just to get to the summary page for the game. Not sure what you're talking about? And if you want to purchase the game, you need a credit card of course, which requires you to be 18.

Nah, you don't need a CC for steam (and never did) and the pick-your-age landing page is not an age verification at all.

What is needed for uncensored games is a system to VERIFY a users age. Otherwise Steam would be breaking law in the EU. Which is a thing Steam has to think about considering half it's business is outside the US.

What kind of electronic age verification works internationally?

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
711. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 22, 2015, 13:55 Orogogus

I think people have been saying components are 100% buyback, but ships incur a 10% penalty. Also that you should strip your ships before selling them or else the components eat that penalty too.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2015, 13:27 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:02:
beremot wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 10:49:
The suffix "Gate" makes no sense, period.

Watergate was just the name of the hotel that President Nixon's operatives attempted to break into in one small part of a much wider web of political corruption.

It became shorthand for that ONE scandal but that doesn't mean it works for everything.

It's like if Nixon's men had broken into the Hilton instead, and then we had "GamerHilton" and "DeflateHilton."

It's just a stupid name that people slap onto whatever faddish cause they're into, and it's born of historical and/or political ignorance.

I think plenty of people know that but it's become well known shorthand. It does work for everything* because whether we like it or not, we immediately knew that this meant some scandal.

* Well, nearly everything (from That Mitchell & Webb Show).

Realistically, I think if it had been a Hilton we would be using -Ton as a suffix, not -Hilton.

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
45. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 12:59 Orogogus

There's Artemis Bridge Simulator. The way it works, as far as I can tell, is to purposely make things complicated by not giving the captain (or anyone) access to all the readouts and controls. One guy could do everything, if the game let him/her, but it doesn't so you get to LARP around with your pals asking Spock for sensor readings and Scotty for more power.

EDIT: I've wondered the same thing before, though. When I ask what people expect a claw operator to actually do when there's no clawing to be done, they assure me it would be awesome. Whatever. It's their dream, not mine.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 21, 2015, 17:55 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 17:41:
2. Why did you go with 8-bit graphics over something with more fidelity?

I know what you mean, but those are clearly not 8-bit, which would be NES level graphics.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend
12. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend Jan 16, 2015, 17:52 Orogogus

DarkCntry wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 00:38:
theglaze wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 21:12:
Bought the game when it popped up for presale...perhaps the last time I do that. It feels generic, I jus don't feel compelled to keep playing it. I ended up picking Endless Legend on steam sale and plan to play that instead, offers far more compelling races and gameplay dynamics.

I think one of the biggest factors in me just not having the drive to play through this is that there's simply no draw to each faction. In previous Civs there's at least been leaders where we can associate their personalities with real people, in BE you've got faceless corporations. Even Alpha Centauri used a leader system that had a richer background and history, which made playing it far more enjoyable.

I do expect it to be like Civ V in that it'll probably get good after the first DLC expansion.

Another thing, why is there no end-game screen?

I see this all the time, I think mostly because of Alpha Centauri, but I think it's a little weird -- MoO and MoM were great, top of class games with basically no leader personalities or interaction at all.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 15, 2015, 20:04 Orogogus

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 19:27:
RadioShack probably would have done okay if it had gone back to its roots as as electronics hobbyist store instead of trying to be an overpriced cabling, outdated crapola, and junky cell phone store.

Maybe, maybe not. They'd be competing against online, and niche hobbyist stores in this vein (e.g., comics, video games, miniatures, RC, etc.) are notoriously difficult to keep afloat. It was probably time to call it a day. I don't see any similar small electronics stores filling an unmet need, so it would probably just be an alternate route to failure.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
32. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 17:29 Orogogus

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 13:56:
That being said, both Dawn of War series did a great job with the 40K IP in my opinion. Always hoped they would of taken on WH40K: Gothic as make a homeworld-like title or somehow tie it into Dawn of War with fleet management.

I feel like Battlefleet Gothic has a pretty big problem for a videogame conversion insofar as their two largest fleets, Imperium and Chaos, are composed mostly of extremely similar-looking ships. Prow, bridge, greebles. A destroyer looks a lot like a frigate looks a lot like a battleship. While this is true of real-life warships, it seems like something that would be exacerbated in 3D -- a cruiser up close looks a lot like a battleship far away.

1028 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo