Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 826 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
43. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 12:26 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 11:36:
Whiskers wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 10:04:
I'm excited to see some stuff from the single player campaign. That's all I'm really looking forward to. I hope it's similar to Starlancer. I loved that game.

I had the idea they were going for the Wing Commander style campaign, rather than the more open Freelancer stuff?

Starlancer was a Wing Commander style campaign. Well, with co-op, and less branching.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 15, 2014, 02:49 Orogogus

$8 each (or $15 bundled, yay!) seems kind of steep. Are these somehow really, really incredible chess and backgammon titles? They sound like the kind of thing I'd be expecting Sony or MS to give away for free with their online services.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2014, 02:42 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 02:17:
I don't really care, all I know is TurboTax is pretty quick and easy and FREE for filing my FIT... They bug me to pay a fee to transfer the info over to my state filing, but I just ignore all that nonsense.

It would be more free if you didn't have to buy TurboTax, is the point. Their whole business is based on lobbying the government to keep sucking.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2014, 21:46 Orogogus

Ya, I'm not an Intuit fan. There are complaints about companies like Electronic Arts or Comcast, but they're actually providing a service that no one else is. Intuit's TurboTax, and other companies providing tax preparation products, are complete parasites. In this day and age it wouldn't be that hard for the government to set up free online tax payment. You'd think it would be cheaper and easier for everyone involved -- everyone except Intuit, H&R Block and pals, who unashamedly buy off legislators. They're the goddamned DeBeers of tax filing, and the world will be a better place once they're put against the wall.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2006/10/inuit_funds_eff.html

Virginia to end free tax filing (2012)

TurboTax maker funnels millions to lobby against easier tax returns

How the maker of TurboTax fought free simple tax filing

doing-your-taxes-is-hard-because-of-lobbyists

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered CE Includes Light-up Ship
22. Re: Homeworld Remastered Includes Light-up Ship Apr 14, 2014, 11:05 Orogogus

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 09:39:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 23:28:
Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:06:
I don't want the game because I already paid for it over 10 years ago.

So, play the old one. No one is forcing you to buy this.

No one is forcing you to defend a re-release of an old game as being a legitimate purchase

No, but seriously, the attitude that companies should cater to me and no one else is pretty old. Not everyone has played Homeworld, and besides when a new game gets made in an old franchise (Thief, X-COM, Deus Ex) there are always a ton of fanboys who say that the only thing they want is the old game with updated graphics. There are a ton of games I don't want to buy, but it doesn't need a special snowflake post every time.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 15:30 Orogogus

Cpmartins wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 14:47:
DSII a given? Do you not remember the state DSI was released on PC? It was, quite literally, the worst port ever cobbled together and thrown on the platform I've seen. After people who are not connected in any way, shape or form to FROM fixed their game for them, it was an OK game. Not a great RPG or anything, but a very good action game.

Eh. The PC release of DS was objectively better in every way than the console versions. There are actually bad ports, like Resident Evil 4, which manage to be worse than their source material. Saints Row 2 kind of didn't run for a lot of people. Dead Space 1 with its vsync issue (you can turn it off, but yay, tearing).

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
21. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 13, 2014, 06:03 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 04:18:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 21:30:
The ships in Wing Commander 1 & 2 and Privateer had giant set angles of rotation (i.e., tap the keyboard and you would turn exactly the same number of degrees every time), making it more precise and easier to play with the keyboard. Playing them with a stick was kind of like playing a shoddy port, it was always kind of janky.

Played them all with joystick without any problems. IIRC all you had to do was configure the deadzone correctly, and it worked like a charm. But m/kb worked great, too.

You can play them fine with a gamepad, too. It's just not the best way. It's not a sensitivity or deadzone issue, it's that you turn in discrete steps that are fairly large, and the keyboard gives you the most precision in nudging just one or two of those steps. It's the same thing as in Star Control 1, where there were only 16 facings. Whatever finesse you're bringing to the table with a stick is only going to be a percentage of what you get with the KB.

If the reason you think flight sticks are the way to play these games is something like sticks rule and consoles drool rah rah rah then, well, whatever, but there are definable reasons why the stick is an inferior choice in WC1/2/Privateer/Academy/Armada.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
19. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 21:30 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 17:54:
Flight stick. That's the way to play this on a pc. That was the way to play Wing Commander, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Privateer...

The ships in Wing Commander 1 & 2 and Privateer had giant set angles of rotation (i.e., tap the keyboard and you would turn exactly the same number of degrees every time), making it more precise and easier to play with the keyboard. Playing them with a stick was kind of like playing a shoddy port, it was always kind of janky.

Starting from WC3 and its 3D engine turning was a smooth traverse and a stick became a lot more feasible. Same for the X-Wing games, I found them all but impossible with KBAM.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
15. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 12, 2014, 17:35 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 05:03:
Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 03:34:
Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 02:46:
Redmask wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 00:35:
Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 19:16:
Oh come on, no rationale person would take that for anything but sarcasm. I'd appeal it all the way to the SCOTUS if it were me.

Honoring your word is such a pesky concept after all. Sarcasm is a great legal defense, I'm sure the Supreme Court would be all over that idea haha.

its definitely sarcasm, but not in the way Cutter thinks. The guy clearly implied it was a consolation prize. If you promise a gift, you can be held to it.

No, you very clearly don't grasp the concept of sarcasm then. He was being fatuous. If you don't grasp that I'd suggest some remedial English comprehension classes.

His sarcasm comes across less as "haha, you can keep this, not,
" and more as "well, I humiliated you in front of every single person you've ever met, but hey, who cares when you get to keep a $50,000 rock!"

I don't see what part of "I'm breaking up with you, but you get to keep the ring at least" makes it sound like the last part is sarcastic and he expects it back. But, I don't have the cold, shriveled heart, so maybe it's just me.

In any case, men planning to get engaged, never do it on a holiday or birthday, because in either of those cases it's a gift, not a gift contingent upon an action, and you won't get it back if things go awry.

If you follow the links to the first source, the guy also sent another text to the effect of, "If you keep this up, I'm going to demand the ring back." Which in Cutterland is probably meta-sarcasm or something. Didn't help his case, though.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
63. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 12:25 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 06:27:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:59:
What does "compulsory contraception" even mean? Like, a chastity belt? You use words like "compulsory" when a more accurate term would seem to be "wildly unenforceable."

If there were a better way to enact something like this than forced abortions, China would be doing it.

You are being obtuse on purpose. There are chemical contraceptives which are fairly efficient and they have been in use since the 50s. A number of surgical reversible methods also exist. Also what China is doing is also something vastly different then what Im suggesting since their interest is in controlling population growth.

I'm really not. Whatever method you use to limit potential parents is going to work for controlling population growth.

Those chemical methods -- I assume you're referring to the hormonal treatments -- have potentially fatal side effects and contraindications, and they put all the burden on women. The surgical treatments damage your chances of having a child after you get them reversed, on top of the risks inherent in surgery. On top of which, "civilized" countries don't really have procedures to compel every adult man and woman to submit to medicine (especially the daily pill) or surgery. Without that, people are going to end up having children accidentally -- never mind the people doing it on purpose -- and then the question is what this system is going to do about it.

36. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 05:59 Orogogus

What does "compulsory contraception" even mean? Like, a chastity belt? You use words like "compulsory" when a more accurate term would seem to be "wildly unenforceable."

If there were a better way to enact something like this than forced abortions, China would be doing it.

34. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 05:04 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 04:19:
I usually support liberal views in the true sense of the word. I think that discrimination based on race, gender or sexual orientation is wrong. I also believe in fundamental human rights, although that is something that is more of an ideal than something that is respected anywhere in the world. Most of the time its just liberal rhetorhic used to pull wool over our collective eyes while our so called 'rights' are being trampled on daily.

In today's day and age though I dont belive that everyone has the right to be a parent. I think most people (gay or straight) are incapable of being good parents, despite our inherent ability to produce offspring. I think that at least in the civilzed world people should be put through rigorous tests before they are allowed to reproduce. People who want to adopt already have to go through something similar, I believe that this should be expanded to everyone.

Do these beliefs make me a bigot?

Just to be clear, you mean forced abortions, like in China, right? Because unlike adopting a baby, a man and a woman can have sex on their own. Or is it more just taking children away from their parents once they fail the test, or sterilization, or something else entirely?

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 2
9. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 2 Apr 1, 2014, 21:33 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 21:20:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 20:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 19:52:
...and guarantees never again will there be a proper game...

Hahaha, for years I never understood what the Transformers wiki was getting at with Ruined FOREVER, now I know exactly what they're talking about.

I admit as a (once) huge hattlech fan I get a little carried away when talking about MWO ,) My point is simply that to me the franchise is irrelevant now. Even if Mech Warrior 5 were to be announced as a AAA title with SP campaign, COOP and properly balanced MP .. I'd not buy it Especially not if it's by Piranha Games.

Funny you mention transformers though, because Piranha games also made a transformer game.....

Ya, but I can see where Ruined FOREVER in the context of BattleTech also applied at Dark Age/Jihad, at MechAssault, at every single iteration of the Mechwarrior franchise, etc. To be honest I lost interest when the Clans were introduced, but now the Internet makes it easy to get caught up.

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 2
4. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 2 Apr 1, 2014, 20:39 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 19:52:
...and guarantees never again will there be a proper game...

Hahaha, for years I never understood what the Transformers wiki was getting at with Ruined FOREVER, now I know exactly what they're talking about.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
31. Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:46 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 14:31:
InBlack wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:09:
[ One of the last good deeds by Microsoft way back when they still cared enough about PC gaming MONEY to at least make a profit on it.

Fixed.

You say that, but the sentence made sense before.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 30, 2014, 15:26 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 01:18:
Redmask wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 00:39:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 22:23:
They you hire a CEO from the outside who shit all over that by donating to support prop 8 and pro-prop 8 politicians.

He's the co-founder of Mozilla, not to mention the author of Javascript and was promoted from within. I get the whole concept behind a CEO is supposed to represent a company and its image but where he's never had any problems so far. Someone went and dug up his political donations, likely due to a personal or professional vendetta.

Sorry, thought I read that he'd been brought in from the outside to help boost FF mobile. Must have misread. Regardless, it seemed to me obvious why there's a backlash. If it had been something he'd done 20 years ago, nothing probably would have happened, but prop 8 was a pretty divisive issue. The pain from that wound has yet to heal. We may not know the gritty details, but I don't think there's some alternate reason that this happened. That was my main point, anyway.

Ya. The catalyst was clearly the guy becoming CEO. Like, what Romney and Obama did in the 80s was largely under the radar until they threw their hats in the ring. People might not care if a company's accounts payable clerk is, say, a 9/11 conspiracy believer, but make him president or CEO and it reflects a lot more on the company.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
128. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 09:11 Orogogus

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 09:00:
GL1zdA wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 08:42:
I don't get it. Why can't Oculus VR do a great gaming device after being bought by Facebook?

Come back in one year and we'll see if Facebook replaces the team with their own people with their own vision. This happens in every acquisition and there's no reason not to believe it will happen at Oculus.

The Instagram buyout was more than a year ago now. I don't know if its workforce was dismantled, but the product itself hasn't been slaved to Facebook.

113. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 07:59 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 07:51:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 07:46:

Here's an interesting development. The CEO of Razer tweeted notch earlier.

That's odd. I thought Razer was in bed with Oculus with their Hydra thing. Maybe they are jumping ship?

I believe the Sixense group is actually separate from Razer; I don't think the next generation STEM has anything to do with Razer. And I'd think controllers would be platform agnostic anyways. It would make sense for them to work with everyone in the game.

105. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 05:21 Orogogus

Sepharo wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 02:22:
verybad1 wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 02:20:
I really don't see this working for facebook, for mobile, or for social .

I don't even see any link between mobile and a virtual reality system...

Quite frankly, I think it was a bad business decision by Facebook, it really doesn't fit their business, and while it's got a niche, it's not going to be something people are wearing while walking down the street, or in bars while texting.

It just doesn't make any sense. Occulus Rift fits hardcore gamers playing simulators, it can work for games, but it's not what they seem to think it is.

More like it's not what you think they seem to think it is.

Ya. I mean, Google's first product was a search engine; it's kind of hard to say smartphones, wireless payments and fiber optic networks are logical extensions of that.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Trailer
23. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Trailer Mar 25, 2014, 17:10 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:20:
Pigeon wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 08:57:
Just hoping for a smarter AI. Always bugged me that harder AI just meant the computer got massive bonuses to production, research and economy, and seemed to know where habitable planets were as soon as you discovered them.

The video didn't mention anything new as far as game play vs. GC2

The AI actively was smarter at higher difficulty levels. IIRC, they only implemented the Cheat Diff Levels later when the players asked for them. There is a diff level with the highest AI turned on, where it doesn't cheat, and it's a royal bitch to beat.

No, the game shipped with 2 cheat AI difficulties, Painful/Gifted and Crippling/Genius, where they received bonuses above the player baseline. 3 higher difficulty levels were added later.

826 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo