Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 967 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thanksgiving Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Thanksgiving Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 27, 2014, 14:08 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 13:51:
This would be really neat.. with a budget 20 times higher, full blown 3D and a proper story.

But as it stands, just another FTL alike

"Just another?" What are some of the other ones? I can't really think of any off hand, although I don't follow the crowdfunds that closely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Getaway Day Legal Briefs
11. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2014, 13:32 Orogogus

This is exactly like China, or any other country. A company doing business in a foreign country usually has to abide by the laws of both. You tried to blame this situation on the US courts, which is absurd, and then on Google, which isn't much better. As far as I can tell, most US citizens think the EU law falls on the wrong side of censorship, and would not be behind Google if it abandoned our principles for yours. It's a bad place for Google, and I suppose if the EU pushes hard enough that they'll have to get out like they did with China. I just think it's weird that you're acting like the EU has nothing to do with this and it's everyone else's "fault."

US law does not apply in the EU

And German laws don't apply to German companies operating in China? I don't think this has been answered.

9. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2014, 12:47 Orogogus

Orwell was concerned about privacy from the government, which I don't think this affects. But if you're going to protect privacy, call it that. "Protecting" data by erasing it, obfuscating it and limiting access to it is classic doublespeak. Down the memory hole it goes.

Still curious, though -- are German companies operating overseas not bound by German laws? Is the general European attitude that companies who want to work in, say, China, should just set up a separate company, stepping outside their EU jurisdiction, and do things the PRC way? I mean, EU, whatever, but if Google set up a separate Chinese company and handed over everything the Communist government asked for they'd get tons of shit in the US.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 02:35 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 01:22:
The link you posted is a pretty piss poor study. It is only taking data from one city, which is a high crime city to begin with. You still can't know that for sure if having a gun increases your chance of getting shot as all of these studies come to a false conclusion because they don't count for the unreported number of times a gun is used in self defense without being a shot being fired. I'd like to see one that takes into account the ~100,000 per year as reported by the NCVS plus the estimated unreported 500,000 by the CDC or the others at 1-2.5 million.

The two data sets are fundamentally incompatible, since as as far I can tell the studies are approaching their results from opposite directions. The Philadelphia study only counted people who got shot, and the CDC study only counted gun owners who went to get their firearms in response to a suspected intrusion. They're not even looking at the same type of crime.

If I read the first study correctly, they looked at the shooting victims and found that most of them had guns at the time, despite the proportion of gun owners being relatively low. I don't see this as a "piss poor" or a false conclusion, although I would have phrased it the other way around: people who get shot are more likely to have guns. It would make it clearer why unreported self defense cases aren't relevant, anyway. As noted it's geography-specific, but they do say that results may not be applicable to non-urban areas.

7. Re: Getaway Day Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2014, 00:02 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 23:00:
Google basically had to eat this judgement and the results because the US courts made it illegal for GOOGLE to actually follow the EU laws.

Hence my saying this is something the US courts caused

Wait, so German laws don't apply to German companies operating out of the country?

EDIT: I have to say that "data protection" is one of the more Orwellian terminologies I've heard in recent years. Privacy is well and good, but this is the opposite of protecting data.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2014, 00:22.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2014, 18:03 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:56:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:42:
Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:26:
Psychopathic?

Right, because that's going to produce a ton of meaningful discussion.
Well, as others have mentioned here in the past, EA has come a long way from EA Wife and has repeatedly earned "Best Places to Work" awards.

But I will just assume most here think those are bought.

The LGBT award is a culture war thing. Some people hate what it represents and WaltC is sure as hell one of them. If this becomes a discussion I think it's just going to be a dogpile.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2014, 17:42 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 17:26:
Psychopathic?

Right, because that's going to produce a ton of meaningful discussion.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
15. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 15:22 Orogogus

SirKnight wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 13:58:
App Game Kit 2 was 33% just a little while ago, now it's 66%. Glad I waited a few minutes.

Must have been a price mistake. It's 33% again now.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon Nov 26, 2014, 14:21 Orogogus

There's a second trailer on the Steam page with gameplay, which is what I assume J watched. It looks a lot like Rites of War (not a huge surprise). They sure crammed in a lot of units. Steam reviews are positive, too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312370/

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
17. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 18:30 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 18:15:
I know that, but it's another example of policy changing to affect us all, in response to a minority abusing the system.

If Valve's description is accurate, isn't it "us" who get screwed by trading away a game for a gift that then gets revoked? If their reply was that it's only a minority of people who get victimized, that wouldn't fly at all.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 Orogogus

His tweet was "Going to rape some girl soon #fragbitemasters". Asking for trouble in my opinion; if he'd just said rape he'd still have gotten in trouble but it would have be more defensible. As it is, he's the one who brought gender into it. To defend it you have to argue that it's okay to joke about rape to women. Never going to fly, and hard to imagine how he could have made it worse.

"Going to forcibly penetrate underage opponent in non-consensual fashion, brb."

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
7. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 12:20 Orogogus

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 11:21:
That being said, I've not heard good things about this from other fans of the table top. It amazes me that when these games get made they just don't copy the core rules and mechanics of the table top.

Blood Bowl was the only decent table top game implementation I've ever seen from the Warhammer Universe.

The original release of the recent Space Hulk game was nearly a 1:1 implementation, and people didn't like it. People here, on this forum, was like, "Marines are so bad in hand-to-hand against Genestealers, it sucks." The new Ascension release supposedly makes it a lot less of a 1:1 implementation -- it's no longer rolling virtual dice for your actions, checks are percentages now, jamming isn't completely random, etc. -- and people are saying it's a much better game for it.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
117. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 16:58 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:49:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:22:
Where is the internet petition brigade when you need them?

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:21:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:33:
I just don't believe all these sob stories about not being able to play the game with the online requirement.

Because everyone is online all the time, right Adam?

You're probably using up more bandwidth posting on blues news than you would playing Elite Dangerous solo mode.

It's not bandwidth. It's availability. I have a solid connection here at work (obviously), and can jump on Blues 5m here and there to read up on stuff and post, but I can't play E:D at work can I? Then when I go home to my intermittent connection, or I'm on the road staying at a hotel with little or no connectivity, and I can't play, I'm screwed.

I think the more likely issue, that's bitten everyone who does this crap, is that their servers break or their Internet connection goes down, and then no one gets to play.

90. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:32 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:49:
No, you paid for a pine chicken coop, and that's what's said in the contract. You can sue for breach of warranty and will win in any US courtroom.

I know you said you're no lawyer, but have you taken this stuff to court before? I feel very strongly that Beamer is right on this point. Unless there's solid evidence that the hypothetical supplier used oak to cut costs in full knowledge of very real risks to the buyer, something like that will hardly ever win. That's simply not what happens in a courtroom.

45. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 13:27 Orogogus

BobBob wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:50:
When did the trend toward people paying for alpha and beta versions begin? I recall the days when developers were begging to find people willing to be testers, later to provide a free or discounted copy of the full version.

I don't know if that's a real question or rhetorical, but I think Mount and Blade and Minecraft were the first ones I was aware of that made it big.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
87. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 12:52 Orogogus

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 11:35:
I am pretty sure that is why both Sony and Microsoft are pushing digital game delivery vs physical media.

I'm sure that's a huge reason, but manufacturing and shipping physical goods is a pretty big pile of suck if you have an alternative. You have to deal with manufacturing lines, forecasting for manufacturing, raw and intermediate materials, packaging, warehousing, multiple layers of distribution, pickup and delivery schedules, shipping across state lines and through international customs, unsold goods, theft and replacement of lost goods, physically returned goods, and so on.

Even if it had no effect on piracy, even if it cut sales by fivefold, I'd switch from physical goods to digital-only in a heartbeat. Given that publishers haven't jumped ship yet, I'd speculate that the actual potential lost sales is still more like a hundredfold or more at this point.

82. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 06:21:
Dude. Are you serious? You cant take ONE game and a fairly recent one at that as proof of anything. Go to the VERY SAME SITE and type in any number of console EXCLUSIVE games in the search box...

What the goddamned hell? You're the one who said you think PC and 360+PS3 piracy is about equal. Pick any multiplatform game and I'll show you the numbers; they'll just skew even more for older games. If you want to look at exclusives, small PC-only titles typically have more seeds than the big console exclusives. A hidden object game, Haunted Legends 5, is murdering, say, the Last of Us and Forza Horizon 2.

I'm not unreasonable. If you can think of a reasonable comparison I'll look at it. But what you came up with is, "Look, there are console exclusives on there!" Uh, wow. By anything a normal person would consider reasonable, you can see there's a lot more PC piracy going on.

75. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 03:03 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 02:44:
This is probably true for the new generation of consoles (since they are brand new and there is little content for them so far) but there is no firm data on this one way or the other. I think when you compare Xbox360 and the PS3 (as one category) to the PC the numbers would be about even.

I don't think it's even close. If you go to Pirate Bay or kickass.to or wherever and look at the number of torrents, seeders and leechers you can at least get an idea. Put in "Far Cry 4", sort by seeds; the entire first page is PC torrents. The top torrent has about 5500 seeds while the first 360 torrent has 101 and the first PS3 torrent has 57, keeping in mind that there are many more PC torrents than 360 and PS3 combined. Eyeballing it, it looks like about 20,000:200 (360+PS3) seeds.

Of course the actual numbers aren't going to be exactly that proportion, but unless you're in a complete state of denial you can at least see which way the wind's blowing. You'd have to stretch pretty far to try to claim the real ratio is 1:1.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
22. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 21:29 Orogogus

Kevin Lowe wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 20:35:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 19:41:
The Xbox was originally supposed to be simply a minimized PC with Windows running on it. It turned out not to be cost-effective doing it that way, plus it would be hard to create a walled garden on a device that's simply a scaled back desktop. Imagine where we'd be today had consoles not gotten in the way of actual progress in the name of profit.
We'd have lower-end PCs getting in the way of actual progress instead?
Or a plain old lack of money, because that's what profit is good for. But it's possible that if FPSes and RTSes and MMORPGs and racing games and JRPGs and so on never stole the spotlight then modern text adventures would totally kick ass.

More realistically, as you said a gaming PC in every household was never a possibility. More likely there'd be more room in the smartphone market for higher quality games that weren't complete freemium hell, and the gaming tablet field would be stronger than it is.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
16. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 17:45 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:18:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:06:
I don't think MS will allow their prized IP's to migrate from xbone to PC.

The vast majority of sales happen within the first month or two. Delay it until after that, and you can both use it as bait to sell Xbones, and make money from people like me who won't ever own an Xbone. Not doing so is leaving money on the table.

A month or two is probably short enough that all but the most impatient people will be able to delay gratification if they know there's a PC version on the way. I could see a year delay looking more reasonable on their end, maybe as low as 6 months. The 6 year delay for Valkyria Chronicles is kind of excessive, although obviously it wasn't intended as such.

But MS has let a bunch of their games leak over to PC before. Alan Wake, the first two Halo games, two of the Fable games, and the first Gears of War and Viva Pinata games. As far as I can tell from posters here, it mostly just adds to the perception of the Xbox platform lacking exclusives. Whether the short term gains are greater than their long term lost sales is for the bean counters and marketers to hash out.

967 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo