Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 933 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 19:06 Orogogus

Didn't Spike like to blather about not knowing if he was stuck in a dream, and about waking up?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 17:46 Orogogus

I was under the impression that people generally looked more favorably on DC's animated offerings compared to Marvel's, and that outside of the Bale Batman films there isn't a lot of goodwill for DC's live action movies.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 15:14 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 13:02:
PropheT wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 10:39:
The Civil War storyline was great in the comics, it should be pretty good for the movies. Not sure people will like how it ends, though, unless they change something up.

Might be a great way to end the run and reboot. Most of the actors involved are middle agent and ain't gettin' younger.

Man, I thought the Civil War storyline was really hamfisted and dumb. The only logical alternative to completely unrestrained vigilantism is obviously to put supervillains in charge and on the streets, a slippery slope that takes maybe 11 or 12 hours. It was about as even-handed as Star Wars, and I ended up rooting for the pro-registration side and for Captain America to get shot in his stupid face.

News Comments > Gauntlet Released
26. Re: Gauntlet Released Sep 24, 2014, 02:37 Orogogus

Overon wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 23:46:
People are complaining that many standard PC game 16:10 resolutions are not supported. For example 1080p or 1920x1200. Mouse and keyboard is not re-bindable either. Can someone confirm?

Don't know about bindings, but word is that it supports standard resolutions including 1920x1200, but sometimes the resolution list doesn't all fit on screen and there's nothing to indicate that it scrolls. People are able to use the arrow keys to move down and access the resolutions past the bottom of the list.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 20:13 Orogogus

Sempai wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 19:23:
And no proper controller support? I hope the lack of a description is an oversite. But knowing Squeenix, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Did Blue edit it? It's right at the bottom:

> A game controller using Xinput is reccomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required )

News Comments > Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical
18. Re: Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical Sep 10, 2014, 21:24 Orogogus

edaciousx wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 19:41:
Redmask wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 19:28:
What happened with Mechwarrior Online? I didn't catch that one.

They promised things and didn't deliver when they took peoples money. To make matters worse, they made a lot of content Pay to Play and to make it even WORSE... it was all very expensive pay to play. Basically buy this one Hero Mech for $30... I'd buy mechs for <$5 but not for $30.... especially after some people threw up $100+ to back the game.

I don't know if that's an accurate summation for someone who doesn't know anything about the game.

They've been promising built-in league play for years, and it's still months or more away. Of the people who care about multiplayer and aren't solidly anti-free to play, this is probably the main thing referred to when talking about broken promises.

The balance is iffy, but that's been true for all the Mechwarrior games, including massive blindness or unwillingness to address fairly obvious issues. I don't think it's worse than the previous games.

Generally you buy most of your 'Mechs with game money. Hero 'Mechs cost money; they're not really any better than non-Hero 'Mechs, but they have a bonus towards generating fake money, lessening the grind. And 'Mech bays cost money, at about $1.50 each. New 'Mechs are pre-released for real world money before they're released for game money. There's premium time, which lessens the grind, and a bunch of cosmetic item.

I think on this board people are mainly upset that it's multiplayer-only, and free to play.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha
14. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 10, 2014, 21:07 Orogogus

You can buy those gameplay advantages with fake money, too, which is what most people do. And in practice the matchmaker tends to stack premium players, who actually play the game and have higher ELOs, together with a pack of doorknobs.  

News Comments > Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical
11. Re: Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical Sep 10, 2014, 17:52 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 16:40:
even though that nostalgia was for a single player campaign-style game, not for an online-only free to play game.

Eh... if they had announced a singleplayer game with no multiplayer, I wouldn't have gone in at all unless it was like $20. Beat once, and never play it again; it's just a very poor value for money. I'd rather have both, but if there's an either/or choice I think a singleplayer-only 'Mech game is a non-starter.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha
6. Re: MechWarrior Online Rights Devoured by Piranha Sep 10, 2014, 12:13 Orogogus

Task wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:03:
MWO is a completely stripped down MechWarrior, and I don't mean just Single Player. ALL of the multiplayer features of those previous games are basically gone in this "MWO" rendition or something shallow put in its place.

Really? Like what? Offhand I can only think of improvements. The geometry is dynamic and reflects your weapons loadouts now. You can add ammunition in half-tons. Losing a leg doesn't blow up your 'Mech like in MW3. Lasers aren't instahit like in MW4, and have a duration. LRMs have indirect fire. What features have regressed?

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X in April
10. Re: Mortal Kombat X in April Sep 5, 2014, 22:51 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 22:23:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 22:22:
Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 21:46:
MDB wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 20:23:
The characters are "prolific"...?

Well, it says "most prolific," but still, if you mention the words "scorpion" or "sub-zero" to most people here, MK probably pops into their mind somewhat soon, and I'd wager most here can tell you what they look like (palette swap!), what their finishing moves in MK1 were, and possibly even how to do their primary attacks (back-back-forward!)

I think what he's getting at is that "prolific" doesn't mean popular or recognizable.

No, it means producing many offspring. MK and its moves were ripped off endlessly in the 90s. I'd argue more than SF.

The games, sure. There've been a ton of them. But the characters?

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X in April
8. Re: Mortal Kombat X in April Sep 5, 2014, 22:22 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 21:46:
MDB wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 20:23:
The characters are "prolific"...?

Well, it says "most prolific," but still, if you mention the words "scorpion" or "sub-zero" to most people here, MK probably pops into their mind somewhat soon, and I'd wager most here can tell you what they look like (palette swap!), what their finishing moves in MK1 were, and possibly even how to do their primary attacks (back-back-forward!)

I think what he's getting at is that "prolific" doesn't mean popular or recognizable.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Aug 30, 2014, 00:15 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:35:
The number one (as in best known, best selling in other media formats etc.) mainstream RPG franchise and not a single good CRPG yet

Do you mean fantasy rather than RPG? As far as I know the Lord of the Rings pen and paper RPGs have always been third tier also-rans, Games Workshop's tabletop miniatures game is behind Warhammer Fantasy, and so on.

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
17. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 17:11 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 14:36:
GOG is trying to get publishers to stop this asinine price difference bullshit, but they're small fry, so it's not as if it's having much success. They've said that if they can't get the price to be the same, they'll eat the difference themselves, which in the case of Australian prices may mean they take a pretty big loss on selling that game.

Obviously, since Russia is getting it so much cheaper than everyone else, GOG doesn't have to price match with the US price. And, of course, Witcher 3 is their own game, so they can sell it for whatever the hell they want to.

Ah, old games only. That's what I was missing.

Also, why does Russia get it so much cheaper than everyone else? Why, because the rest of us are funding their lower prices! Yay publishers!

Is this something that you actually believe? Like, our prices are higher just so Russia/Ukraine can get lower prices? That seems extremely unlikely. The point of regional pricing would be to charge the optimal point that the market will bear, and it's hard to imagine there's any kind of actual campaign to win the hearts and minds of the Russian consumer population at the cost of profits elsewhere.

It seems to me that publishers are in a no-win situation. If Russia gets an appropriate price one group bitches, and if not then the Russian consumers will just apply the same logic that Western consumers did for music -- the publisher doesn't care to offer goods at a reasonable price so it's inevitable that everyone will just pirate it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2014, 23:35 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 23:32:
A fucking SWAT team just shows up because of a prank call?

You'd have to assume they didn't identify themselves as a prank call; aren't shooters exactly what SWAT teams are for?

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
7. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 23:23 Orogogus

Whiskers wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:47:
The publisher, Nordic, was demanding everyone use regional pricing, which goes against GOG's policy, so they decided to drop their games. Can't blame them for sticking to their policies and trying to keep games the same price across regions.

Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary? If I go to steamprices.com, I see that Witcher 3 preorders are $60 US, 40 and 50. The UK & EU prices are apparently about 20% higher than the US, but okay, that might be within the plus/minus of currency fluctuations. But the Russian price is the equivalent of $17.45.

How does a stance against regional pricing translate into the ultra-low territories like Russia? It seems like they still get regional pricing.

Also, Australia is apparently still getting jacked to the tune of 40%.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2014, 07:09 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 22:58:
That's a wee bit misleading. The extra cost was because of the CD format, which was brand new at the time. The games themselves were cheaper than most AAA modern games. $19.95, $29.95, $34.95, etc.

What? "Etc." in this case would be $60 for Monkey Island 2, the most recent game on that page. That's the same price as AAA releases today, except in 1991 dollars. $35 is for last year's releases, and $20 is for the EGA versions of last year's releases or Maniac Mansion, 4 years old at that time. That's like the original Starcraft 2 in current terms ($20 on Amazon, incidentally, in 2014 dollars) -- and here I'm picking a company notorious for keeping its prices up.

Although, I guess CoD is even more notorious in that regard, and the 2010 title, Black Ops, is $40 on Steam, so there's that. $20 for physical copies on Amazon, though.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2014, 07:18.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Risen 3: Titan Lords
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Risen 3: Titan Lords Aug 13, 2014, 04:18 Orogogus

Quinn wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 18:15:
the game is only out for a few hours yet except for a console version that had leaked a few days earlier. And trust me, I literally don't care AT ALL what that group has to say about a game like Risen.

It's kind of weird that PB doesn't care, either. From all accounts the console versions of Risen 2 were released extremely buggy, including quest bugs, and never got patched. Dodge roll was never added to the console versions, which is kind of WTF.

Like, it's one thing for a random fan to hold console players in total contempt, but as a developer maybe you should just not release console versions at all in that case.

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
24. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 12, 2014, 19:49 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:46:
SS2 was an awesome game, but not as fantastic as the original. I wish someone would just remake the original with updated graphics and that runs on a modern OS. I'd kickstart that for 60 bucks.

Ya. In everything but controls and graphics I thought the original was a far, far better game. And I guess people liked the RPG stuff, which I really didn't. It's weird how different SS2 turned out from SS, particularly how the maps in SS were so much bigger than SS2 and Bioshock's.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2014, 19:41 Orogogus

Fantaz wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 17:50:
wasn't Square Enix pissed earlier about Tomb Raider's sales numbers not meeting expectations in the millions? how's this supposed to be a win in terms of sales to go with the losing player?

People keep saying this, but I don't get why. If someone offers you money for an exclusive, you wouldn't hand over your biggest blockbuster, would you? The best thing would be to use something that wasn't selling a bunch anyways. And if you're able to scale back expectations and development costs accordingly, so much the better.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 9, 2014, 00:16 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:20:
I'll be very interested to see the ad this Sunday, so I know which 900 authors to avoid in the future. Fuck you and your attempts at price fixing. Fuck you right up your fucking ass with a rusty pipe.

I think the online version of the letter's already linked in the article, with all the signatories: http://www.authorsunited.net/

933 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo