Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 995 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 12:50 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:25:
I spent a while wondering what 'c' on the HUD meant for speed. Just the lower case letter c, like we're supposed to know what that is. Like it's universally known ... universally. Universal. The universal constant, i.e. the speed of light! I'm sure it is explained somewhere but it was nice to actually figure out something actually a little bit sciencey, even if I should have twigged quicker.

They probably assumed everyone knew this. I think I learned it before 8th grade. Like, c in E=mc^2 is the speed of light in a vacuum, right?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2014, 18:22 Orogogus

PHJF wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 14:32:
Damn Verno, I thought you said Hamilton had some juicy writing with disturbing themes? Pandora's Star was safe enough for my grandmother to read!

Considering it was Creston's holy grail, I found it overlong and unexciting. Too much time spent (literally) world building and not enough time spent developing characters or moving the plot.

I read it after Creston's glowing praise, too, and felt much the same. The whole thing seemed a lot longer than it had to be.

News Comments > Warhammer Quest Announced
2. Re: Warhammer Quest Announced Dec 15, 2014, 12:57 Orogogus

re: Space Hulk -- that was really just the one video game incarnation. The old games were a lot more videogamey, and from what people are saying so is Ascensiong.

re: Fantasy -- I don't know that it's getting more video games due to a decline in its model business. They just made a pretty massive push with End Times, and some of the models like Nagash are enormous and extremely expensive. More video games might be a side effect of WHFB getting more attention in general. Alternatively, I've always gotten the impression that Games Workshop just waits for companies to approach them to make video games based on their properties, which might be what's going on.

News Comments > FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game
22. Re: FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game Dec 13, 2014, 08:34 Orogogus

ViRGE wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 06:18:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 17:33:
It seems like it would be easier to just invent a new universe. What in the Freespace IP is so valuable that you'd want to carry it over into a new genre instead of making up something new?
The story of the Shivans, for a start. Where did they go? Where did they come from? What did they do with Admiral Bosch and the knowledge he contained?

Meanwhile what has happened to Earth since it was cut off 32 years ago? How does the GTVA used their recovered jump node stabilization technology? And how does that help them defeat an enemy seemingly impossible in size?

As a space shooter, it makes sense to answer these in a sequel if it can be handled with the same tone and writing quality as the original games. As a FPS... it seems utterly bizarre.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta
12. Re: MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta Dec 13, 2014, 02:16 Orogogus

Endo wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 02:09:
KS wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 18:23:

Why the eff couldn't they sell this on Gog like normal people?
Because they're greedy fucks who couldn't care less about their customers, and there's a lot more money for much less effort in pay-to-win free-to-play.

He's obviously talking about the MW4 download.

To answer his question: the people who put it up -- not Microsoft -- probably don't have the rights to distribute the game, and they almost certainly don't have the rights to sell it.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Resumes
9. Re: Steam Holiday Auction Resumes Dec 12, 2014, 22:28 Orogogus

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 22:09:
This is very unlike Valve. I hope this lack of foresight (let alone QA) is not a sign of things to come.

This is exactly like Valve. Like, the last holiday event with the different color teams, which ended up being the most rigged thing on earth? And the horrific auction browsing UI ("showing 1816-1830 of 2012")? Classic Valve.

But it doesn't have a huge effect on actually buying games, so whatever. The whole thing can be safely ignored.

News Comments > FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game
15. Re: FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game Dec 12, 2014, 17:33 Orogogus

It seems like it would be easier to just invent a new universe. What in the Freespace IP is so valuable that you'd want to carry it over into a new genre instead of making up something new?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2014, 13:19 Orogogus

Rated R means no-one under 17 without a parent or guardian. NC-17 means no-one under 17, with or without a parent/guardian.  

News Comments > Scrolls Launch Today
24. Re: Scrolls Launch Today Dec 11, 2014, 12:14 Orogogus

Jivaro wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 11:35:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 11:14:
Anyway I just jumped the shark...
You... what?

Google or Youtube search "happy days Fonzi jumped the shark" and watch the video that comes up.

All will become clear.

I know what the term means. It's not clear to me if eraser does, at least I can't figure out how to fit it in the context.

News Comments > Scrolls Launch Today
18. Re: Scrolls Launch Today Dec 11, 2014, 11:14 Orogogus

Anyway I just jumped the shark...
You... what?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
35. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:34 Orogogus

Quinn wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:14:
In fact, waiting a year or longer and buying it for 6 dollars is probably even worse. How's that? Because pirates can still be positively loud about a game they've stolen. Word of mouth does wonders for sales. Same goes for high scores on metacritic.

Skyrim is still making money hand over fist. In weeks when it drops to $5 it can still crack Steam's top 10, which as far as I know is still sorted by revenue. If their priorities are in place then they're not thinking, "I really wish tens of thousands of bad people wouldn't keep paying us $5 for a 3 year old game."

News Comments > Street Fighter V Confirmed
13. Re: Street Fighter V Confirmed Dec 8, 2014, 22:36 Orogogus

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 22:14:
Hell Microsoft made both windows and the xbox and there was never even one cross-platform title

There were 3, I think. Shadowrun, Lost Planet (some edition or the other) and Universe at War: Earth Assault.

News Comments > Street Fighter V Confirmed
7. Re: Street Fighter V Confirmed Dec 8, 2014, 14:00 Orogogus

nin wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 13:56:
KTR wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 13:43:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:10:
Theo wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:44:
The cool thing about this is that PC and Ps4 Players are getting cross platform play - thats awsome - especially as the PC skill levels (on 4) dont seem to be as advanced as the console users.

I wonder if that is why there isn't a XBONE/XBOX 360 version coming....MS wouldn't authorize cross-platform.

Unlikely. From a Phil Spencer tweet, it seems Sony paid for exclusivity and MS didn't agree on the counter offer.

It was my understanding it's partially funded by sony. Trying to find where I saw that...

That seems like information that would be right on the Wikipedia page if it were true.

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Dec 5, 2014, 21:17 Orogogus

I think it's supposed to be in the On Sale section and not Evening Patches, though.  

News Comments > Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile
18. Re: Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile Dec 5, 2014, 12:29 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 11:19:
I mean the original Bards Tale ;P

The original Bard's Tale is absolutely not a game that still holds up. There's no story (evil wizard, rawr!), it's horrifically grindy (go find 396 Berserkers, cast DRBR, put heavy book on space bar, leave game alone for 40 minutes), and with real-time mana regeneration and mana drain tiles everywhere it assumes the player's time is worthless.

As party-based crawlers go, the old Wizardry and (especially) Might & Magic games hold up far better, in my opinion.

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Dec 5, 2014, 07:19 Orogogus

Kajetan wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 07:15:
Slick wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 18:56:
can we get the monthly E:D newsletters then? I think Star Citizen has had enough free press for a while now.
No, "we" don't.
You can't say "we" when what he actually said was "I".

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
12. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 5, 2014, 07:03 Orogogus

DrSquick wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 15:31:
Interesting, I guess I didn't realize Genestealers were supposed to be so beefy. In the actual table top game I haven't seen anyone play Genestealers exceptionally well. I play a very shooty army of Space Marines with a few plasma cannons and other template-based weapons, and it is incredibly rare for a Genestealer to get to me. And I think I recall Genestealers being incredibly expensive, upwards of 100 points per model? I always pictured them to a bit like a glass cannon, where if they can get to you, rutt row. Whereas Terminators I have fought against can march right across the battlefield with me hammering the hell out of them, and they still get up to me.

Well, that's on a 40K battlefield. Space Hulk is all confined corridors, often very short ones, making it easier for the Genestealers to get in close and do their thing. And most Terminators are only armed with storm bolters. Genestealers aren't particularly resilient, but at Space Hulk's ranges you're often getting less than a full 40K turn's worth of shooting, so there's a lot more missing going on. I don't think it's a whole lot different than if you played a Space Hulk map using 40K rules.

Also, I think you're grossly misremembering the point costs. Dreadnoughts cost 100+ points per model. Genestealers are like 14, or 28 in 2E when they used to be a little stronger and everything tended to cost more.

News Comments > Into the Black
27. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2014, 05:40 Orogogus

Task wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 22:30:
And they are horror movies to boot, so they'll get scared shitless about robots !

Hollywood is too arsed to come up with new things these days. At least its some sort of weird Alternate Reality different than the T1/T2 fiction universe. And I see the Mother of Dragons has somehow found a parallel universe machine to travel to the Terminator universe. From the trailer it seems like whoever wrote this story wanted a Terminator movie with a "happy lollipop" ending instead of the inevitability/bleakness of Judgement Day happening regardless.

I feel like you're mixed up about which movie was T2. Happy lollipop ending, "no fate but what we make", totally not a horror movie? Not any more than Aliens was, anyways.

News Comments > LucasArts Vet Heads New 2K Studio, Hangar 13
10. Re: LucasArts Vet Heads New 2K Studio, Hangar 13 Dec 4, 2014, 14:34 Orogogus

A high concentration of tech workers in Northern California means they have a good hiring pool, I assume. According to the press release they're a little north of the city, not right in SF proper.  

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
16. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 12:39 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:37:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:29:
On the flip side, an hour is too fast for me. I just don't bother looking. It's too much like playing a freemium game that treats you like your time is worthless. 4-5 times a day might be about right; if they run 6 of them at once for 6 hours at a time then I'll probably check in. 24 times a day is well into piss-off territory.

Actually, GOG adds games every hour, but they stay on sale for 5 or 6 hours, so you don't need to check every hour.

Was it always that way? I'm pretty sure I tried keeping track in a previous sale and was unhappy with how they ran it. If they've changed it around that's good.

Their front page is kind of a mess, though.

995 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo