Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tomas

Real Name Tomas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tomas
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 19, 2003, 07:19
Total Comments 181 (Novice)
User ID 16212

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. No subject Aug 26, 2007, 01:54 Tomas

Why would they think they had industry support...the whole reason the show is gone is because the industry didn't want to support a show like this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World in Conflict Demo
14. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2007, 14:44 Tomas

Maybe you just don't understand how torrents work or more likely you're probably using an ISP that shapes your networks traffic (ie you'll get crap torrent speeds because they don't want you using them). Personally I get exceptional torrent speeds most of the time.

But I digress...downloading the demo now...

News Comments > Saga Beta Nears
3. At least there's no monthly. Jun 20, 2007, 13:09 Tomas

At least there's no monthly fee. So apparently you don't have to buy booster packs although I imagine you'll probably want to if you intend on being competitive. Not sure how that pans out exactly. Anyone play the alpha?

News Comments > Red Orchestra Free Weekend Begins
13. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2006, 18:24 Tomas

Haven't we had this same debate like 10 times? Those of you barking about how this game is only a mod are living in a cute world of fantasy. Most FPS games are "mods" by your definition. So unless you feel like ranting about all of those other "mods" why don't you just give it a rest?

There are lots of people who love RO:Ost and a good number who think it's horrible...so to each his own. I just don't understand why people still have to complain about things that simply aren't true.

But as per usual I'm imagining what I'm typing will be ignored by those who don't like RO. Personally I think it's one of the best FPS games in years. It combines a lot of great ideas and some pretty new ones as well into a fun package. If it's not your cup of tea you could go drink something else.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 18:25.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
8. Re: no wonder this failed Dec 1, 2006, 13:46 Tomas

You may want to find out the details of the patches. If I'm not mistaken the fan patches keep coming out because they are adding in more bits that didn't make it into the original release. Sure they are fixing bugs but as fans without the same toolset they have more limitations. The game was solid enough when I bought it at launch that I called it one of my favorite RPGs in many years. Sure it had some issues...but it was pretty darn fun. Anyhow, glad to see it's still getting fan patches...I might actually load it up again and replay it. I've never replayed a single game - that alone should tell you how great it was.

News Comments > Red Orchestra Patch Plans
3. Nooooes! Oct 12, 2006, 19:39 Tomas

Heh, let's not start that again...

News Comments > More Red Orchestra Free Content Plans
27. I just don't see why its a failure... Sep 19, 2006, 16:30 Tomas

I just grabbed these off Gamespy's stats a minute ago:

Top Game Servers By Players
1. Half Life 2 22737 servers, 78749 players
2. Half Life 32475 servers, 73103 players
3. Battlefield 2 6860 servers, 34095 players
4. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 3519 servers, 11961 players
5. Call of Duty 2 6715 servers, 9856 players
6. Americas Army: Special Forces 2325 servers, 7740 players
7. Unreal Tournament 2004 2528 servers, 6685 players
8. Call of Duty 3183 servers, 6575 players
9. Neverwinter Nights 1106 servers, 3765 players
10. Quake 3: Arena 2028 servers, 3595 players
11. Medal of Honor Allied Assault 1882 servers, 3435 players
12. Soldier of Fortune 2 1060 servers, 2885 players
13. Unreal Tournament 2020 servers, 2655 players
14. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead 1124 servers, 2547 players
15. Battlefield 1942 788 servers, 1998 players
16. FEAR: First Encounter Assault Recon 1259 servers, 1848 players
17. Halo: Combat Evolved 783 servers, 1823 players
18. Red Orchestra Ostfront 295 servers, 1717 players

So...I guess it's only as big as FEAR, but to be top 20 isn't really that bad in my books.

News Comments > More Red Orchestra Free Content Plans
4. Wow, not really up to date are you? Sep 17, 2006, 19:06 Tomas

The game is 25 bucks. It is a fully rebuilt game. And they have sold enough to warrant starting a new project. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but they have been quite successful with Ostfront.

I'm not sure which gamers aren't stupid, but the ones who don't recognize Ostfront as a breath of fresh air for the ww2 fps market at half the cost of other similar games, the free new map updates, the free new vehicle updates, the free new weapon updates, and the daily interaction between the devs and their fans are ones I'd be most worried about.

News Comments > Gold - Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
57. No subject Mar 8, 2006, 03:56 Tomas

Waiting for a patch to DL so I'm back. =)

I don't see why you'd call it a mod unless you consider games like say Brothers in Arms or America's Army mods. The game was all but completely re-written after they won the Unreal 2.5 engine. If its the engine that is the bother then pretty much half the FPS games out there are simply mods. If it's the fact that it started as a mod...well, like I mentioned it was totally re-coded from the ground up after they got the license and were able to go in at the engine level and edit code.

I guess I'm just not sure why people keep saying it's a mod and yet they don't include in that list the endless number of other games that simply buy a licensed engine to develop a game off of.

55. No subject Mar 8, 2006, 03:09 Tomas

I ususally don't waste time posting on Blue's News because the arguments tend to degenerate really quickly. However, I'll spend a few more minutes and call it a year.

^mortis^: If you're going to quote me don't pull my quotes out of context. =) Here's what I said:

"To say that it is an unfair price for a game that was for all intensive purposes built from scratch is asinine."

I don't think this counts as calling anyone asinine. That statement clearly suggests that its asinine to claim a game being sold at half the current going price for new games is over priced. If it feels like a personal attack...meh, sorry it wasn't meant that way.

"To assume that just because it has a digital distribution method makes no reason to go gold and allow preloading/presales is silly."

I think this one is pretty self explanatory. Again not a personal attack, but an observation of what I think is a silly reaction.

"I can't believe that people would whine about a game costing half of normal that is a full quality game and not a budget title. Talk about stupid. It's as if you'd prefer them to charge 50 dollars instead."

Again...if you feel its a personal attack then, well, sorry, but I do think its stupid to complain about the cost of a product being sold for half the going rate. Especially when you see how great the game looks and plays.

But I imagine I'm getting nowhere with this so I'll hit up the question posed to me.

About how many hits it takes to die I think that you have a bit better chance to take a bullet and live in the retail version than the mod, however, I think it's harder to stay alive in the retail version than the mod. At first that probably seems illogical, but I think the reason it seems that way to me is because the new suppressive effects of bullets, grenades, etc. tend to make it harder to just waltz around a map without getting killed. I have noticed that I've taken damage without dying a fair bit, but usually it seems that its a "graze" or shrapnel being kicked up from near misses.

Anyhow, if you think I'm immature that's great. Regardless you might want to check out the game because it's pretty darn good. If you don't, well, that's your call. Night all.

Oh, and the Stg44 is in, you can sometimes change your weapon loadout on the top right when choosing a class.
This comment was edited on Mar 8, 03:13.

30. No subject Mar 7, 2006, 19:30 Tomas

Devourer: If I was to guess I'd say the beta is about 50/50 on vets and new guys. A lot of the hardcore fans/clans had a lot of beta keys so I've seen many of them playing as well as a lot of people who have mentioned they are totally new to the RO scene. Oh, and I suck though I was pretty good at the mod - I'm not sure what to make of that yet. =)

29. No subject Mar 7, 2006, 19:26 Tomas

Riley: While I agree to the consumer this would seem logical you need to remember that Tripwire is a business and have more than just your personal wishes to deal with. They also have a distributor to keep happy, a digital distributor who needs to have things lined up and ready for final release, and it's totally possible that they haven't finished off the last touches of the final update just yet. I don't think it's unfair to assume that there are even more reasons than this like potential reviews in magazines where they have contracts and promises already made that they need to keep. Maybe they need customer support people to get trained, or they have other issues of that nature to finalize. There are literally hundreds of reasons why the gold announcement doesn't mean that they can realistically release the very day that the "final" code has been approved.

People seem to forget that in addition to making a game they love that they haven no desire to feed their families and have a successful business. Real world business isn't so simple that you can always just do what you would like regardless of how many customers wish they had your product at the very earliest moment.

I guess the bottom line is simply that the wait for 7 more days will be worth it. In my opinion, the game is amazing. I've never played a game before that makes me feel I'm on a real battlefield. It's good. Just wait a few more days. =)

Oh, I'm Monk in game btw. So come stop by and slay me on the battlefield if you disagree with what I'm saying.

25. Geez... Mar 7, 2006, 19:06 Tomas

Ok, how about some facts with your fiction.

RO:Ostfront 41-45 is not a mod, nor is it based off the mod code. It is 90% re-written with the UT2.5 engine. Sure many of the features remain similar to those of the mod, but they have been written in the engine this time rather through the modding system with Unreal2k4. Additionally there are hundreds of additions and improvements. To say that it is an unfair price for a game that was for all intensive purposes built from scratch is asinine. This retail version of the mod of similar name has been in full production for about a year by a full sized team which is a lot more than many FPS games. The quality is equal to or better than many FPS games I've played and the graphics are on par with the best playable online FPS games on the market.

I recently got a beta key and have been playing the last few days so I'll agree that this game is not for everyone. Players who enjoy the quake like FPS will not find that being fulfilled here. You will die a lot. You will get frustrated a lot. But in the end you very well may find yourself feeling like me that you enjoy this game so much more than the standard FPS fare simply because there's so much more to it.

All games go gold before they are released including digitally distributed ones. To assume that just because it has a digital distribution method makes no reason to go gold and allow preloading/presales is silly. There's more to releasing a game than simply turning on a switch.

They dev team has already stated that they plan on doing a demo version after the release when they have time to make one so if you're afraid of spending 23 bucks on an FPS that is as good if not better than anything else out there go ahead and wait. I can't believe that people would whine about a game costing half of normal that is a full quality game and not a budget title. Talk about stupid. It's as if you'd prefer them to charge 50 dollars instead.

All in all I guess I'm happy that there are so many ignorant people in the gaming community because to be honest, I love the more mature atmosphere that has existed in the RO community for years and I hope it is exactly the kind of game that doesn't invite a bunch of whining children to play. It's gritty, its realistic, and it's a whole lot of fun. Oh, and turn up your sound really loud. =)

News Comments > Homebrew Vampire Patch
7. No subject Dec 9, 2004, 12:38 Tomas

Bloodlines is one of the best RPGS I've played in a LONG time. I don't even like vampires or the world, but the game was just downright fun. But yes, there are some glaring bugs. The graphical ones are not too bad though once in a while you get weird things happening. As far as other bugs (which this great patch fixes) you will need it or the workaround to finish the game since there is a show stopper which apparently crashes everyones game during one of the later quests.

Without the patch (how I played the game) things still were pretty smooth. You can tell when something didn't work right and generally you just need to backtrack a bit but even that is pretty rare.

As far as a real patch I think Troika is unfortunately not able to until Activision gives them permission or something weird. I think they are stuck waiting for the suits to get things done.

Soooo, I guess the point of my post is that you shouldn't not play Bloodlines because of its issues. It's still better than most games I've played lately - it's a shame it has the bugs though. =\

News Comments > Half-Life Hitbox Follow-up
23. *sigh* Jul 28, 2004, 19:43 Tomas

Ventry, what stops them from doing it with a system like WON?

News Comments > Counter-Strike Update
2. Re: so old Jul 23, 2004, 12:24 Tomas

Odd, I thought it still had more players online at any time by oh, 70 thousand or so. Granted I don't play it anymore and haven't in years, but you're going to have a hard time proving it is played out.

News Comments > New UT2004 Red Orchestra
36. For anyone interested in RO not debate.. May 22, 2004, 13:39 Tomas

Here's my rundown:

Definately not the mod for those who like to run and gun. Red Orchestra is designed to be more realistic than most fps:ers out there. You'll find you enjoy it a lot more if you get a few buddies (real or just guys on the server) and make a squad. Then move together towrads your objective using some sort of bounding or at least in some sort of a formation. Becuase the guns act realistic (any decent shot kills and there is even bullet drop over distance) you'll see that the group with more firepower and skill will win everytime even against the guy who is a CS master. Running out in the open alone will get you killed really fast.

Learn to use the map (defaults to "o" key). You can see your objectives and know who holds them. Escape from the idea that one man is the key. It's all about teamwork. Slow down and make the move when the time is right.

It's a beta, so there are some weird bugs...but if you have the latest UT2k4 patch and are willing to give it more than 2 minutes (it takes time to get used to the iron sights) then you just might enjoy it. OH, ironsights...SO nice. You can shoot from the hip but your accuracy isn't all that good. Pull up your ironsights and move in as a team. See a pattern here? =)

Tomas' final score: 8/10 (for a beta - needs more work and some polishing but man...it's got a lot of potential.)

This comment was edited on May 22, 13:40.

News Comments > X Patches Revisited
5. Re: sounds crappy Feb 27, 2004, 18:14 Tomas

Hmm, I gotta be honest guys, it's really not that hard to login to get the patch, and to be fair, with a small company like Egosoft, they really can't afford to have people pirating their software if they want to be able to survive.

Calling a login to gather a patch Draconian is a bit much, don't you think? Consider also that most download mirrors require you to login as well...

News Comments > New Natural Selection Beta
1. Great game Jan 31, 2004, 14:01 Tomas

While there are some balance bugs and all in the the first beta NS has come a long way from a great idea to a great game. I'm really hoping this patch will result in it getting the recognition it deserves. Fun. I guess that is the bottom line. =)

Monk

News Comments > Euro Shadowbane Launch Plans
7. No subject Dec 30, 2003, 14:18 Tomas

What was meant was this. The Asian servers were dealt with by a completely different team of developers. The updates and changes they did were not the same as those done in the US (although from the looks of things they should have been). During the demise and major issues of the US servers things in Asia were still rocking from what I heard on the message boards.

With that aside, here's my two cents on Shadowbane. I bought it the first day it came out and to be honest, it's a lot of fun. The big problem was it was buggy and had some many balancing bugs and MAJOR issues with lag during big battles that it was near unplayable at times. When you were simply out killing beasties to gain some XP and you became stuck in 5 minute lag storms where you couldn't do anything it started to really suck.

If they had managed to fix these bugs a bit sooner I really think the game would have done well. Anyhow, the game is really fun for about the first month (or two depending on how much you play and if you find a good guild), but after that it begins to wane. The game had a lot of potential, but at least when I quit it was still short of being great. I've no idea what it is like now, but it could do really well in Europe if people there are more interested in making their servers fun to play on and not simply cool dude pvp servers. Carnage (the server I mostly played on) was really fun for about the first month.

181 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo