Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tomas

Real Name Tomas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tomas
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 19, 2003, 07:19
Total Comments 181 (Novice)
User ID 16212

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
38. No subject Jun 27, 2008, 20:30 Tomas

There are other ways to pirate than via torrents...but I think everyone more or less thinks those numbers are a wee bit high. =)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
33. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 19:35 Tomas

If his numbers are somehow right I'm sure they'd really be happy to have that 30% you suggest. Granted both numbers have zero authority without some information on where they came from, but 30% of 15 million copies is a big deal.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 19:35.

News Comments > Jumpgate Evolution Beta Sign-ups
9. Just took a few hours to get the email Jun 26, 2008, 18:48 Tomas

It took a while but I got it. I believe it's done by Codemasters too so you can't blame NetDevil for the email system - at least so it would seem. Either way hopefully I'll get a slot in the closed beta - I am dying to try out something new in the sci-fi genre.

News Comments > Dungeon Lords Follow-up Details
3. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:45 Tomas

I've seen some pretty broken and incomplete games...but this one takes the cake. Funny part is I still kind of liked it but it was like eating cake and getting kicked in the nuts. You wanted to enjoy it but in the end it just wasn't worth it.

News Comments > On Linux Game Piracy
43. Re: Not a surprise at all. Jun 25, 2008, 04:01 Tomas

"It's easy to get estimates for pirated copies in circulation. if you get 3 times as many downloads for the latest patch than you sold copies, you know its not bored people downloading the same patch 3 times. "

Too bad we can't get data like that for console games. I'm curious what the ratio is for bought vs. pirated on consoles.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 04:02.

41. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 03:55 Tomas

Not very fair...

Ion Storm: Deus Ex, Thief Deadly Shadows - two of the best games in the last 10 years IMO.

Troika: Bloodlines while buggy and a bit unfinished was a whole lot of fun. Troika also was very creative - Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura was a near huge hit and did some pretty neat stuff with the RPG genre.

Interplay: You managed to avoid all their big titles like Fallout and the tiny title Baldur's Gate which nobody played, right?

Black Isle: Heavily involved with Fallout, but on their own also had Planescape: Torment which is to this day still considered by many RPG enthusiasts one of the best CRPGS. They also did Icewind Dale which was pretty cool. Oh, and I enjoyed the Dark Alliance console stuff - a nice simple, fun fantasy romp.

Iron Lore: Titan Quest - really solid game but somehow didn't quite hit its stride marketing wise.

So really...those are some pretty great studios which made some pretty great titles. Sure you can argue marketing issues and other problems but they those were some big studios in their day. To be honest I'd rather have them back than most of the studios that make console games. =)

33. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 02:52 Tomas

Useful things to consider when attempting to argue about piracy:

- The ratio of PC studios to console studios that go out of business each year.

- The ease of pirating on PC vs. that of consoles.

- The inherent complications with pirating on PC vs. those of consoles.

- The number of PC capable players vs. the number of console players.

- The ratio of players who would rather play on a PC to those who would rather play on a console.

Everyone wants to spin the argument they way they like but nobody seems to be looking at factors that could actually spread some truth on the situation. Look at some of the real numbers and then make an educated statement.

News Comments > Anti-Piracy Chip?
84. It always makes me laugh May 24, 2008, 18:32 Tomas

I find it funny that pro-piracy advocates use the argument that hardly anyone pirating would have bought the game. Or the argument that they only pirate if they don't have the money. I used to be like you guys...but I had the money...and I still rarely bought the game even if I liked it because why would I pay for it after I already had it and enjoyed it? Hey, it was free so I was able to spend my money on other things and still enjoy the game. That was my way until I saw studio after studio fold - you know, the ones that made the games I was enjoying.

Pretend all you want that piracy doesn't affect things but deep down you know it does. How much? That's up for debate, but all of you screaming for proof how about you show some proof it doesn't hurt? It's like trying to prove or disprove the existence of God. Good luck...unless you can get everyone who ever plays a game to report whether they stole it or not you're not going to prove anything - but you can look at the trends. Consoles make more money. Yes you can pirate console games, but most people I know who play consoles don't have a clue how you'd even start to pirate a game unless it's as easy as buying a mod chip. On the other hand, almost everyone I know who uses a PC, even those who are about as ignorant as possible, know how to use some P2P/torrent system to get free games. It's just 100 times easier on PC to pirate. Actually I think it would be fun to see how many people on this forum know how to pirate PC vs. console games. And then see how many of each they've pirated. How much do you want to be the console pirates are a much rarer breed?

My only beef with anti-piracy methods these days are things which interfere with my ability to use something I own. If it's non-invasive, and doesn't ask me to verify every time, or put in a CD or login to some stupid site to verify I'm legit then I'm pretty darn happy. Show me that and I'll be a happy gamer. But I'm done making lame excuses for pirating. It's human nature...why pay for something if you can get it for free.

It makes me laugh - I've lived all over the world and everywhere I've been people are the same. They pirate any game that's easy to find. The others they buy. All other arguments fall short in my experience.

This comment was edited on May 24, 18:33.

News Comments > Anti-Piracy Chip?
35. I'd actually love to see this work May 24, 2008, 03:13 Tomas

To be honest a non-invasive anti-piracy chip would be quite welcome to me. It would take away the excuses for crappy products not selling and I think it would push the publishers to actually make better games. But I'm skeptical at best...I'd love to see how they think this will be so secure.

News Comments > Majesty 2 Announced
3. No subject Apr 18, 2008, 16:56 Tomas

Awesome - I loved and still promote Majesty 1 to people. Such a fun and unique take on RTS. I hope they do as good a job as the guys at Cyberlore did. A lot of love went into the first one. =)

News Comments > SAGA to Expand
3. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 19:27 Tomas

Oh, and I'm really stoked about the undead...the Brotherhood Alliance needed another faction.

News Comments > SAGA to Expand
2. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 19:26 Tomas

The good news is you're wrong about unit death. It's not permanent at all. You just resurrect them at your temple. At 20 bucks for the game it's a pretty cheap initial investment. You can buy the boosters for $3 bucks a pop but for most people (like me) 10 was plenty. The market is pretty active and you can easily trade for the troops and spells you want.

News Comments > Shadowbane Reboot in Two Weeks
5. No subject Mar 13, 2008, 02:02 Tomas

I loved Shadowbane...other than the stability issues. One of the most exciting MMOs I've played. It had its issues, but man, when it came out I had a blast for the first 3 months. I wish my guild was still around...I'd probably get back in if they were.

News Comments > Free SAGA
8. No subject Mar 13, 2008, 01:46 Tomas

Guess I'm becoming the resident SAGA supporter but you can play the game free without buying boosters. However, if you want some of the more fun units you can buy boosters. I only picked up a handful and that was enough to trade for what I wanted. It's a lot cheaper than a monthly subscription and you have the freedom to not buy them if you want. Either way the game is pretty fun - it still has some issues but for an indie it's pretty good.

News Comments > Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
9. No subject Mar 6, 2008, 19:07 Tomas

Almost everytime I see a new patch for this game I think about reinstalling it.

News Comments > SAGA Open Beta
2. No subject Feb 25, 2008, 22:06 Tomas

Well I'm biased since I've been playing it, but it's actually pretty fun. It's made a lot of progression in the last few months as well. The multiplayer questing is my favorite part. It used to be pretty ugly but now it's pretty nice looking - not state of the art, but for an indie it's pretty good. Definitely something new. I think it's funny people cry out for innovation and when we get it this is the kind of response given. Anyhow, it's a free beta - doesn't hurt to try it out and see if its your cup of tea.

edit: should have noted that there's no monthly fee - so the collectible part is that you can buy troops to give you more options on the battlefield. The system makes sense when you try it.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 22:07.

News Comments > Granado Espada Goes Free
11. Re: ... Dec 26, 2007, 21:56 Tomas

It's the response of a 1st timer here on blues who just signed up. But I digress...

News Comments > Star Trek Online Going Casual?
3. No subject Nov 26, 2007, 21:33 Tomas

Hmm, smells like...DOA.

News Comments > Red Orchestra Free Play Today
18. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 20:18 Tomas

The double click has a very valuable purpose.

It allows players to more quickly get back into cover and reload when they are ready - timing decisions matter in RO.

During WWII soldiers not trained in vehicles generally did not use them as doing so in many cases would be more dangerous than beneficial. The same goes for soldiers not trained in artillery not firing the guns. There's also the issue of it breaking the balance on the battlefield. There's usually more than enough spots in a class to do what you want.

Generally I found RO pretty fun - I guess it's just more for the tactical gamer than the run and gun gamer. I enjoyed DoD but DoD Source was a huge letdown. BF2 is fun with some groups I game with, but I always preferred RO because it was a much better team game than BF2.

RO is definitely harder than your average game to get into though. I didn't really enjoy it until after a few nights of playing - then I began to realize how good it really was.

181 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo