Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tomas

Real Name Tomas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tomas
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 19, 2003, 07:19
Total Comments 181 (Novice)
User ID 16212

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > New Mount & Blade Patch, Trial
4. Seriously, try this game Nov 3, 2008, 16:45 Tomas

I still feel bad for anyone who likes anything to do with fantasy or medievalness who doesn't try this game out. Sure it's not the fanciest AAA title but the combat is so fun. Now that they've released the modding tools I'm pretty excited for all the free new games I'm going to get to play for the next few months. BTW, you should have bought it back when it was 12 bucks!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: World at War Beta Live
10. Re: Call of Duty: World at War Beta Live Oct 28, 2008, 23:49 Tomas

I thought maybe it was just me but yeah, the textures are really low res and it feels a lot less impressive graphically than COD4 but runs about the same. I haven't had much time with it yet though so I'm not sure whether its the new replacement for Friday Night Frag Fest yet.  

News Comments > DX3 Dev: Deus Ex was "Kinda Slow"
60. Re: DX3 Dev: Deus Ex was Oct 22, 2008, 19:59 Tomas

*sigh* Worst news bit for Deus Ex 3 ever. I was cautiously optimistic before but now I'm not sure this will even be worth picking up. How can the lead dev make a boneheaded statement like that? Did he even play the first one?

This is the game that had my younger sister sitting beside me watching me play for two days straight because it was so "slow" and unmemorable. I can't name many games that someone else actually sat next to me and watched me play from start to end.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. No subject Oct 9, 2008, 03:00 Tomas

Congrats! Been here since 1998 myself. Not sure how I missed those first years and survived! Here's to hoping that the next dozen are just as great. =)

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Delayed Again
13. No subject Oct 6, 2008, 16:10 Tomas

How did you guys play X3 without the manual? I had to read and re-read that thing like 10 times to understand and figure everything out. There were a few things I just didn't get and it took a lot of looking around to figure out. It's definitely a complex game but I always enjoy the X stuff even though I never really do the story or get that far in it (I usually duck out around 30-40 hours or empire building but that's par for most games for me). All in all I'll probably buy this one too when I can afford it.

2. Re: Noooo! Oct 1, 2008, 00:01 Tomas

*phew* it's back.

1. Noooo! Oct 1, 2008, 00:00 Tomas

Everything is gone! Bring back Bluesnews!

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Trial
7. No subject Sep 30, 2008, 19:48 Tomas

I can't tell you how excited I was for this game...and how disappointed I was when I finally got to play it. =( I'm still waiting for that swashbuckling/pirate MMO game that really does it right. This is one of the cases where I wish they'd basically made the WoW of pirate games.

News Comments > Steam Ships Ahoy - Hinterland
9. Anyone played this? Sep 30, 2008, 19:42 Tomas

I've been on an indie kick lately - I'm guessing this is indie and it might be something I'd really enjoy. Anyone tried it yet? Legit reviews?

News Comments > On Gears of War 2, PCs, and Piracy
77. Two last thoughts Sep 30, 2008, 18:26 Tomas

Unless something really interesting magically pops out of this thread here are my two last thoughts:

1. PC games are also less appealing to publishers/devs because they are increasingly losing both quality shelf space and the risks are high. Whether it is due to a small niche audience, piracy, bad game, bad marketing plan, or a dozen other reasons its becoming increasingly obvious that console development is a safer route. Naturally being tech savvy doens't make you a pirate but lets be honest...most of the guys I know who are only console players are pretty darn stupid when it comes to computers. I don't think CliffyB was suggesting that the only reason why he doesn't want to make games for PC is because everyone will pirate them, but it sure doesn't help things out either. Please note that he said:

Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.

Notice the bolded part. And I think that's a fair statement.

2. Don't forget that the costs of a port also include marketing and the production which aren't cheap either. Just because you can save a lot of the development time doesn't mean you can save a ton on getting the game out there in physical form that people will know about. I think the old PC gaming model is going to die. I believe this is also why instead of getting cool boxes with real manuals, cloth maps, and all sorts of cool extras we get a crappy, generic plastic case with maybre a 10 page "manual" these days and that's it. My hope is that someday we reach a gaming plateau where the development costs finally come down (maybe hardware reaches a point where it's not needing to change much and thus toolsets have time to mature or something?) and therefore the smaller games and studios again can afford to make games that only need a smaller niche audience. We complain about lack of innovation these days but that's because innovation is not a safe investment in most cases.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 18:27.

53. In case anyone wonders about movies Sep 30, 2008, 04:05 Tomas

Just for your gee whiz file here's some info on how movies make money these days (just so you know I'm not blowing smoke out my backside):

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/Demyst3.htm

52. Re: Well Sep 30, 2008, 03:58 Tomas

So why is hollywood so successful these days? I mean, how many Adam Sandler movies are there or movies with Ben Stiller and how many of those were blockbusters? Did they turn a profit too?

I hope PC games stay and we still see them push the art. Consoles sure as fuck won't because all they care about is $$$$.

I'm glad you asked since I happen to have experience in the movie industry. The reason there are so many of those movies is because most people like crap. Most movies don't turn profits - in fact it's a common, incorrect belief that movie X, which cost 40 million to make, made 50 million in the box office so it must have been successful. That movie failed miserably and those involved financially are now writing off yet another huge loss unless they have a some really quality DVD options setup as well as control over foreign rights and a number of other things. It's pretty complex - the whole movie thing but not completely unlike games although there are a lot more pricks per dozen in movies. But the bottom line is most of those Adam Sandler/Ben Stiller movies did make profit. As soon as they stop they stop making them. Herein lies the difference.

You can have a box-office failure that is still profitable because of the things I mentioned above. In fact you'll notice if you go to your local video store that there are many more movies that never release in the theater for that exact reason. It costs a lot of money to do a big ad campaign, get the screens, and cover all the costs of theatrical release whereas releasing to DVD and managing things like foreign rights has a much smaller investment and yet are the main sources of profit for most movies. With video games you don't really have this second, third, and possibly fourth stream of revenue. If your store/online sales fail...your game fails. Sure there's a bargain bin, but you don't make much on AAA titles when it reaches the bargain bin. After those first two weeks most titles lose their shelf space and the sales become very small except in the cases of the exceptions - the big hits like the WoWs or the Sims which can sell for months. This is why you're seeing many games pushing the first month of DRM and then not worrying about it so much. It's why you'll see the console version coming out first followed by the PC weeks or months later. It's all because the numbers that come in show this is the most "sure" method of sales for PC games and it's what the guys with the investment capital will always push for. It would be bad business to request anything else.

This doesn't discount the notion that people don't like being treated like thieves. If you feel that way I'd suggest you relax and take a deep breath. If you think someone is insinuating that all PC gamers are thieves then you are way too sensitive. The PC games industry is simply reeling from increased complications in a quickly changing market. They are trying to find solutions and not all of them are well thought out or good for consumers. There's backlash as there should be but in the end there are no really easy answers. Sure we could do away with all copy protection and just hope people become more honest but that's not going to significantly increase sales. To suggest that having some sort of copy protection in a game makes honest folks justified in stealing is silly as is assuming that have that same protection helps the honest folks in any way. Again...it's a bad situation for both the companies trying to make money and the consumer exacerbated by the fact that it's so easy to pirate and it's becoming more of a social norm than it used to be.

I remember when I was a kid and I had a friend who had a pirated game and my first though was, "but that's illegal...what if the FBI comes to my house and catches me." Sure I was a bit dumb to think the FBI would actually show up because my buddy copied King's Quest and gave it to me, but these days most have lost that sentiment and replaced it with some sort of feeling of entitlement as if that somehow made sense.

Anyhow, long post for a short concept but sometimes you just get going. The bottom line is hollywood isn't successful because of the box office. In nearly all cases their real revenue comes from secondary sources and not the percent of the ticket sale they get (which in many cases is a lot less than you probably think). PC games do not yet have a good secondary revenue stream though there are some attempts to at least help with that such as GoG.com, Steam and a few other sources. In the end though this isn't enough to make up for most games - not even for the good ones. If you want to know the state of the games industry then go try to find investors or an investment group who want to make anything other than a clone of the top 5 games.

I too hope that PC games stay as I'd rather play a PC game 10 times over than most console games. I don't think it's fair to say console people only care about money, but it's definitely the safer avenue right now. Sure there is console piracy but its no nearly as easy or widespread an audience. This could change, but it's a bit easier to combat as well since the hardware is all proprietary etc. Sucks for us PC gamers who just want to enjoy awesome games at a good price without the DRM or hassle...but until someone comes up with some big changes for the industry it's not going to improve. The costs simply outweigh the potential profit in too many cases for the money to keep flowing.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Mount & Blade Sep 30, 2008, 03:32 Tomas

For all its shortcomings (come on...it's indie afterall) I can't remember the last time a game kept me up several days in a row past 6AM. Sure I wish it was more robust in areas...but it's just so fun as it is. I am glad I bought it back when it was $12 though! =)

27. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2008, 23:53 Tomas

But apparently 'some profit' isn't 'enough profit'. Making money just isn't what it was in the past. If it's not a million-seller it's not worth it (even if it DOES turn a profit). Hell, a digital distribution-only release on the PC is totally feasible and yet they still shun the increased income stream that method would produce.

I think what most people here who aren't involved in that side of the PC business don't understand is what "some profit" really is. There are still a lot of costs involved with porting unless you want a really bad port (which we've all seen done and moaned about). So as a business you have to sit down and put the numbers on paper - often they just don't make sense when you consider the cost vs. risk analysis. Sure they might make money on the port, but they also might lose money. Considering how many good games don't make profit the chances are often simply too high to make it worth the effort.

As for online sales models I think you're right and wrong. It does provide an interesting option and many companies are testing those waters. Look at how many games that aren't Valve productions are now on Steam. There's a reason that other companies are trying it out but there are also reasons some aren't yet.

I find it funny how people like to over simplify things. The PC games market has always been full of big successes and big failures. The sad truth is these days the investment risk is significantly higher and therefore the concern over failure is that much greater.

15. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2008, 23:03 Tomas

Cliffy B is a traitor to PC gaming. What has changed about PC piracy between when Unreal got released and now? Nothing.

Mmm, there was this small thing called the internet. In the old days pirating software was mostly something you did with people you knew in real life. Sure there were the few BBS guys and a few groups like that but it was nothing near as common as it is today. To pretend this isn't the case is silly.

I'm not sure why people here on Blue's News won't accept that piracy is infinitely more easy these days on the PC than it was in the past.

If Cliff doesn't want to release games on PC that's his prerogative - tons of companies don't. If you look at sales performance statistics and see that the average console games' sales are generally better than that of the average PC game's sales then why wouldn't you hedge your bets by going with the more solid fiscal choice? Sucks for us PC gamers, but that's not his problem.

The fact remains that most guys I know who are PC gamers pirate games and those who are console gamers don't. Whether its the state of their technical savvy or something else the proof is still in the pudding.

News Comments > WAR Bonus with RA3
6. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 04:34 Tomas

These are the types of promos that make me not want to buy games. If you can't get it in game you shouldn't be able to get it from some other source. Why companies think pissing off potential customers is a good idea just confuses me.

News Comments > Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim Movie
2. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 23:02 Tomas

I don't know if it needs more evil - the first was fun without it. But I really hope it doesn't include added suck.

News Comments > More on WAR Credits
21. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 22:53 Tomas

The game industry is already competitive enough without people not being able to get credit where due. If I'd worked on a title and didn't get credit I'd be pissed. I wonder if there's legal recourse for such a thing - I hate to suggest suing, but this is the type of thing that damages someones career opportunities.

The sad part is in this day and age it's cake to update the credits as well. If you miss someone add them in during a patch...but intentionally excluding people is just nasty. Makes me wonder if I want to spend my money on Mythic products in the future.

News Comments > SAGA Expands
2. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 15:48 Tomas

SAGA is more or less completely different than it was 5 months ago - I'm still playing and it gets better with each patch. The devs are probably one of the few teams that actually listen to their player base and make adjustments/features based on what people want. Anyhow, it still has a fully free trial which only has a few features missing so I recommend you try it out. The new undead are pretty cool - I just made my nation and am having fun trying things out.

News Comments > Divine Divinity 2: Ego Draconis Revealed
25. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 13:59 Tomas

DD was a pretty fun game. A few bugs (my main game the first time got "stuck" and I did give up before the end) but I really enjoyed it up until the show stopper. It's definitely not as polished as say Diablo 2, but it's got a lot more meat to it. I'm pretty sure you can pick it up in a bargain bin for under 10 bucks which is a pretty good deal if you like RPGs.

181 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo