Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tomas

Real Name Tomas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tomas
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 19, 2003, 07:19
Total Comments 181 (Novice)
User ID 16212

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2013, 09:10 Tomas

The new sports layout is horrid beyond belief. I use two things from Yahoo (used). The mail (had an account there since email started more or less...haha) and the sports page. They have decent writers, and frankly I liked how everything was offered there. The new layout on the sports page is an atrocity that burns holes in my eyes (seriously, it gives me a headache to look at it now) and I can't distinguish one item from the next. It's a mess! The mobile mail update is also a turd. Why ruin what worked great. Less ease of use, more strange icons that don't translate to standard email needs. Ugh. It's like Mayer is trying to drive people away. One step forward two steps back.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
111. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 07:27 Tomas

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 00:41:
Why would you choose a 360 over a PS4? That's insane.

Oops, meant to type Xbox One, not a 360. Why I would get a Xbox One instead of a PS4? Mostly because the majority of my friends preferred gaming on their 360s. I own a 360, PS3, and a Wii, but the 360 has received the lions share of use. My Wii has less than 10 hours logged on it. In the end, though, I'd much rather just use my PC. If every game I wanted to play came out on PC I don't know why I'd ever buy a console.

94. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:29 Tomas

DrEvil wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:24:
Shame they are disabling the family share stuff. They could maintain that feature even without always online mode. It would be reasonable to have to be online to play games shared to you by a friend without enforcing a retarded global always online requirement. Also even if it is restricted to digital copies of a game, to avoid any worries about the disc floating around in addition to the shared copies. Provide an incentive for users to support the game through a digital purchase with digital perks, still let the people who want to play, sell, trade their hard copies. Everyone wins. The community would be singing a different tune if they went this sort of route from the start.

Exactly this. This is what I've been saying since the first news came out. Just give more options. See which way consumers really want - nobody can complain about having more choices, and if they start to like the digital route due to the perks of it, then MS and those who wanted the digital options in place win. The whole problem was the fact that instead of creating more freedom and options, they tried to take all the choice away from the consumer. I don't know how that made it through those initial meetings. Whoever was behind this whole DRM fiasco needs their head checked.

93. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:27 Tomas

wasteoid wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 20:28:
Only days ago, Major Nelson was interviewed and appeared to argue that it was not easy to disable the 24-hour DRM check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo#t=11m13s

Obviously, it was as easy as the interviewer claimed, just a switch to flip (asshole mode = false).

I'm going to start sounding like an MS apologist, which I swear I'm not, I'm still not sure I'm going to get a 360 over the ps4 (granted last gen I bought all the consoles...), but to be fair I'm betting Major Nelson didn't know either. He was just pointing out that Joe wasn't privy to that information so it wasn't fair to say that it will be an easy thing like toggling a switch. It probably is...but MS has already stated there will be a day 1 patch to fix the DRM. So that means at least something wasn't as toggling some bit in the database.

91. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:24 Tomas

If that's the Angry Joe interview, he does, a bit, but I imagine he's hating life after listening to the same complaints for days straight. Sure, not our problem, but it's his job to push the company line whether he loves it or not. It's easy to take the moral high road until your job is on the line. Just sayin'. But yeah...there were a few parts you could see him clearly frustrated at Joe because he knew he was having to say stuff that is clearly ridiculous. At least that's how I interpreted it.  

88. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:18 Tomas

I'm honestly not sure if the two ideas can be combined. I understood their need for the 24 hour check-in, because obviously if you sell the license back to retailer A, the console needs to know that you did so, and has to disable/delete your HD copy of it.

If you have freely tradeable game discs without online requirements, yet allow the sharing, then you're running back up against the check-in thing, no? Because otherwise 11 people would be playing the game off 1 disc, and then you give the disc to person B, who shares it with 10 friends, etc etc?

Creston

Haven't thought this trough a ton, but I'm imagining this only for digital sales, which they've noted will not be tradeable. In this case, you could go online, click to share with a buddy on your friends list. Next time he connects, he could see the "buddy X wants to share this game with you" and click "OK". It would then download to that new system. It would be marked in MS records as un-tradeable by the friend who got it shared to them. So they wouldn't be able to trade it. Sure, you could change your friends and share it a ton of times, but I'm sure they had systems in place to handle that. You just use those systems as best you can, updating the shareable lists each time the relevant parties log into the online system. It would be one good reason to consider buying digital vs physical. Ease of sharing with buddies anywhere in the world. You'd still have the multiplayer restrictions in place as they planned (only one copy of a game could play online at a time - the original owner would have to assign that out, I'd imagine). It should work pretty well unless I missed something in my quick once through thought process. I'm not sure how publishers would feel about it, but maybe they would get better percentages on the sales and or they prefer this system anyhow because it would in theory lead to more sales and less second hand sales. Just thinking out loud. =)

edit: for some reason the quote didn't take.

67. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:25 Tomas

I know we're Bluesnews readers, so being pissed off about everything is kind of our MO, but I thought a few more people would actually react positively about the change.

For me, it's taken the XboxOne from a not a snowball's chance in hell of purchasing to a probably will when I see a good deal for it down the road. I enjoyed my 360 more than my ps3, though they both had their strengths.

Some ideas for MS to win back some of the pissed off customers:

Continue to allow the 10 friends thing for digital game purchases. Since you can't trade them anyhow, allow your friends to use your games as you'd planned. That way you can also test out your digital theories, but it's better than what Steam does, and it could gain you some favor. Sure, you'd probably have to require a login check to verify your buddy could use the game when they first want to use it...but since it's digital you'd have to be online anyhow to download it. Don't require a check after it's on their system for offline play.

- Make the Kinect disableable (I swear that's a word in some dictionary). There's no reason not to. How hard could it really be...

- Drop your price 50 bucks and or upgrade something in the hardware. If you want to include a kinect in every system, something nobody asked for, then you should eat the cost on it to prove the tech is worth it. An ugrade to the hardware could be something small, but a token increase would probably go a long way. The hardware change may be impossible at this point - I'm not sure how far they are in fabricating the boxes, but I'm guessing they are probably deep into the process of things. Even if you eat a bit more on the console, you'll make up for it with your attachment rates. You know you will. The consoles themselves have never been the money makers.

- Stop being anti-consumer douche bags. It's really not that hard. Seriously.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sanctum 2
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sanctum 2 May 16, 2013, 04:00 Tomas

Yeah...I don't remember it having hard controls either.

That said, I'm not sure what to think about this one. Some of the changes didn't necessarily sound for the better. Hopefully I just misinterpreted the news I was given.

News Comments > Adventure Park Announced
3. Re: Adventure Park Announced May 1, 2013, 05:43 Tomas

The graphics aren't great...but if the game is fun I'll overlook them so long as they don't get in the way. Loved all the RCT games...

But yeah...not going to be pre-ordering this or anything. =)

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarted
6. Surprised this hasn't gotten more support Apr 9, 2013, 22:17 Tomas

I'm also surprised this hasn't gotten more support. I'm really glad they funded, but I'd love them to have the money to hit those stretch goals. Either way, I'm glad I pitched in on this one. They've always made fun games, albeit with some flaws, but they aren't afraid to try new things and their games have their own unique feel. The editor should be a ton of fun. I'm excited for the player made content that will also come.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 23:26 Tomas

I have to admit, that was a great pitch video.

I normally think pre-ordering is a terrible thing to do, but I guess after playing their past games I feel pretty good about giving them some kickstarter funds. One thing I like about Larian is that they aren't afraid to try new things out in their RPGs. They don't feel like anyone elses games. They feel like Larian Studios games. Which I think is pretty cool.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
33. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 7, 2013, 23:11 Tomas

So glad I didn't buy this game.  

News Comments > Wizardry Online Launches
20. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 31, 2013, 07:21 Tomas

Ok...so I've played a bit now. Not much...I'm like level 3 or 4. Anyhow, I'll try to break this up. Find what you want or just ignore this thing completely right now. It's a mess, but I'm willing to suffer for the good of the team. Or at least because in some small way it reminds me of how games used to have some fear of death in them.

* CRASHING AT START *

If you can't start it and it does that annoying resolution thing you have to just start a few times until it fails to load fullscreen and forces 1024x768 windowed mode. After you make a character and get past the initial story blob you can finally change resolution. Then exit and crash a few more times and then it finally sticks. Not a joke. But it should be, because it's just so insane to think someone thought it was ok to release a game that has to crash several times before you can start only to...blah...anyhow...

* CONNECTING FOREVER *

So you got into the game finally and now see two buttons. Start and exit. When you hit start you're going to see connection for 1-infinity minutes. I guess it's the login server being slammed. Again...could have used a queue system or something. Did they think it was so bad nobody would try to login and overload the system?

* CHARACTER CREATION *

So you finally made your character. Haha...the random stat points is so like games of old. I hear you can get something like 50+ bonus points. Most I've gotten in the 10 minutes I was willing to waste was 12 with most cases being about 8. I guess it's a huge difference in the beginning, but I'm not sure about long term. All in all there seems to be a fair amount of options for characters considering you can change classes in the game and maintain some of the skills from your old class. Or something.

* POLISH *

The games a messy, giant, pile right now. Seriously...it's about as unpolished as can be. It's ugly, the menus are horrid, and it feels like circa 1995 at best. But it's passable. You can play it if you can figure out what in the world the menu options mean. I still have no idea if I'm running on max graphics settings because the terms used are more or less cryptic.

* GAMEPLAY *

So you basically go around town and get quests. Then you can go to the dungeon instance guard and choose what dungeon you want to go in. In there you will find really bad AI and lots of shiny things to click on. Also you might run into other players who can slaughter you (not until you reach a few levels into the game, though) or help you. Respawn rates are mad insane for solo - so I can hardly kill off the mobs in an area before new ones are spawning (they tend to clump together). Sometimes they drop chests which you can open, risking a trap going off. There are things you can do to improve your odds of success or disarming, but not being a thief I nearly died every time.

Anyhow, the dungeons so far aren't horrible, just somewhat ghetto feeling and rather uninspired. I'm optimistic that with a party and further into the game they might become quite fun. Especially with the whole perma-death and other players can kill you bit. If you're into that.

* OVERALL *

It's a bit of a hot mess. I'm not sure how well the free to play aspect will pan out yet, and I can see the draw of spending money to get stuff as it's a hard grind for me so far (again, I played like an hour or so). There are some cool ideas...but the game lacks mountains of polish. The lack of the option to set your resolution for the first 10 minutes of the game or so is madness. The rest of the game seems to follow that same philosophy. Is it the worst game I've ever played? No. Is it not fun? No... Could it be fun? I think so, with the right group. It's seems like a more hard core D&D Online with some serious tweaks and a lot more quirks.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeonland
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeonland Jan 30, 2013, 03:23 Tomas

But it also has the one player as the evil dungeon master mode, right? I'm really on the fence with it. Seems like with the right group it could be fun.  

News Comments > New Wildman Video; Tiers
9. Re: New Wildman Video; Tiers Jan 27, 2013, 23:14 Tomas

I totally agree on the Homeworld thing, too. A perfect fit in a lot of ways. Minus the whole they are broke and about to go under bit. And a few other bits. But, yeah, that would be sweet. =)  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 05:54 Tomas

Oh, yeah, the door thing is super annoying. Even though I've passed through a number each time I still try to shut them.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hitman: Absolution Nov 21, 2012, 01:58 Tomas

Only played the first two levels so far, but it's been fun. I played Bloodmoney (and one other Hitman title), but wouldn't consider myself a Hitman fanatic by any means. that said, I do love stealth games. I would consider myself a Thief and Deus Ex fanatic.

I had a horrible sound issue where I had no sound until it would suddenly come in hissing and crackling until it nearly blew my speakers (cat like reflexes saved the day and my ears as well) that was easily resolved after figuring out that it doesn't like my quadraphonic speaker setup (I know, I'm lame...they are old, but they sound really good...haha).

Anyhow, I can see the validity of the complaints we've been hearing about, but I'm also enjoying the game for what it is. The presentation is really solid so far, and so I'm trying to enjoy it as just a new stealth title. So far so good. I find that I enjoy just using my last save point a lot and trying various things out. The nice part is you get credit for doing things even if you don't finis the mission. For example, to get a sniper kill credit in a mission you can assassinate the target and then immediately after just restart your last checkpoint and continue on how you really wanted to do the mission, but you retain the credit for having done it the other way as well. This may become more complicated later on, but in the first few missions it has worked fine.

And for 29 bucks (GMG is awesome)...I'm pretty happy just playing around. =)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 01:52 Tomas

This will be the first Ubi game I've purchased in a while (no, I didn't pirate others) thanks to them getting rid of their silly DRM. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the PC port is solid and all. I hear they fixed up a lot of the bugs so technically it should be a smoother release than the console ones.  

News Comments > Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed
20. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 00:20 Tomas

Yeah...but that's pretty much the only thing you can use it for. I agree it would be really cool if you could use it at some crafting shop or something to apply new random results to gear or something. Maybe have Markus have quests for random guns to bring as well as eridium for which he makes you new custom guns or something. I dunno. Anything would be nice. =)  

News Comments > Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed
15. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 23:01 Tomas

61 hours in and level 27. Playing mostly coop with 2-4 friends, but solo when nobody is around and I'm feeling the need to shoot some stuff. I'm finding that B2 is about on par with 1. It's a better PC version, clearly, and I'm glad the humor seems on par as well. The gear is definitely a bit hard to come by, but I think if you're in for the long haul, that's probably a good thing. So far we've not run into areas that are too hard to beat. I think we are for the most part over-levelled...which could come back to bite us on the second play through (which I really loved in B1).

The flow definitely changes, though, based on the difficulty of a given area. Sometimes you get into the run and beatdown mode where you don't even both to take cover or think, but then you hit some areas where the difficulty spikes and suddenly you need to start playing tactically again and trying to avoid just sucking up bullets. It's actually kind of fun that way, imo.

But yeah...I hate getting non elemental weapons because you feel like it's right off the bat an inferior weapon. Also, it's really frustrating to get crappy oranges...haha. It's quite disheartening to see the color string and race over only to find it's a piece of junk that nobody wants.

My other big complaint is that eridium is mostly useless. It used to be a super fun part of the game, where we were all excited when we collected it, but now I'm maxed out and it has actually affected part of the fun of the game. One of our guys actually quit over it. Silly, perhaps, but his point was that he doesn't have anything he's really working towards anymore so he's gone back to Diablo 3 of all things. Whether he has a good reason or not, I do wish Eridium had a point (I know there's a use for it at some point later which we haven't reached yet, but that isn't really enough a sufficient reason to collect it, especially not at this point - not to mention the 99 piece cap)

Anyhow, point of this giant blabberfest? I think the game is fun, and I'm really hoping that with each DLC (and hopefully some free ones in there as well?) that the game just grows and expands in good ways. It's great fun as is, but I can see a number of easy fixes to improve things.

181 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo