Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dan

Real Name Dan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rictor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2003, 23:44
Total Comments 219 (Novice)
User ID 16140

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Galaxy Andromeda Cancelled
9. Well.. Aug 8, 2003, 17:30 Rictor

Ok, I didn't mean millions. However, there is a whole lot of people that are fans of the Imperium Galactica series, and would gladly buy the third installment, even if it was named differently. Aside from that, the game seems to stand very well on its own, with amazing graphics and *I would venture to guess* at the very least decent, if not excellent, gameplay. I don't think that this game is/was obscure or unknown at all. I think that people just get confused with the title change, but otherwise I would say that it was an eagerly anticipated title.

If some budgetware game like US Navy Seals: Weapons of Mass Destruction can be published, I fail to see why a AA game like this would be considered unprofitable...

If they had a demo out many months ago, with the engine and basic gameplay mechanics already in, as well as little or no bugs, then how much longer could development take? A few months? I just don't see the logic, since once released, it would almost surely turn a profit

Oh yeah, sucks about Full Throttle 2. I never played it (the original), but I'm a big fan of the Lucasarts adventure games such as Indiana Jones and Monkey Island series (playing Grim Fandango these days) so its a shame..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Galaxy Andromeda Cancelled
5. What the?! Aug 8, 2003, 17:03 Rictor

Who makes these decisions?

They had a demo out like a year ago. It coulnd't have been that far from completion. It couldn't be more expensive to finish it up and sell it to millions of eager fans then to throw away several years of work.

Aside from being stupid, its also financially idiotic...

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Q&A - Delay Follow-up
28. No subject Aug 7, 2003, 16:40 Rictor

Why was that post removed?
I HIGHLY doubt there is a leaked version of Half Life 2. If so, well...gotta go

News Comments > Half-Life 2/ATI Bundle?
27. Upgrade stuff Aug 3, 2003, 14:26 Rictor

As it stands now, I can get a 9600 Pro for about $225 (Canadian), a 9800 for $370 and a 9800 Pro for $520.

If the 9800 drops down to around 300 or so, I'm probably getting that. Is there a major difference (either performance or feature) between a 9800 and a 9800 Pro? No use spending 150 extra bucks.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can locate a 9700..

News Comments > Half-Life 2/ATI Bundle?
17. An upgrade question Aug 3, 2003, 13:39 Rictor

I know this is slightly offtopic, but I was considering upgrading around September or so, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice.

I currently have a Radeon 7500, so I'de be looking to upgrade to a 9xxx card. I notice that there is a drastic price difference between say a 9600 and 9800. Would this difference warrant a 150-200$ price increase? I certainly don't have money to waste, but I would prefer that I spend an extra few hundred now, instead of having to upgrade again in a year or so. Also, do you expect video card prices to come down considerable within the next month or two?

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Q&A, Video
14. No subject Aug 1, 2003, 12:10 Rictor

You started Filerush? Let me thank you on behalf of everyone who you've helped to download files which would have otherwise taken much longer on Fileplanet or another mirror. There are many instances in which a new game movie or demo is easier and faster to get using BT than elsewhere.

If you want to do only legal files, thats a very admirable thing. I know that BT is used for mostly illegal purposes, but so is Kazza, DC and many others.

Having "legit" Bit Torrent sites shows the world that the program can be used for legal purposes too. If its your site and your bandwidth, I don't see why you should not also be able to set the rules as to what type of file is acceptable. In any case, its helping out alot of people to get the files faster than elsewhere, and thats what matters..

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Q&A, Video
9. For a fast BT link... Aug 1, 2003, 11:29 Rictor

If BitTorrent is your thing, check out the file on www.suprnova.org . I downloaded from them, and I was getting 200-250 kb/s!!

I also got in the Fileplanet queue, just in case. Well, just as I was unzipping the torrent version of the movie and getting ready to watch, the Fileplanet window pops up and tell me that I have timed out:D:D

Anyways, for all you Bit Torrent people, just thought I'de let you know that Bytemonsoon is back up at bytemonsoon.net . I still don't know if its the same guy/guys running it, but its good to have them back

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Delayed
6. Maybe, maybe not Jul 29, 2003, 20:06 Rictor

I don't believe it until Valve says so. They seemed very confident in their release date, so I doubt that they were forced to change it..

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. No subject Jul 27, 2003, 20:16 Rictor

You and me both

Liquid actually admited to purposully (sp?) making it a Warcraft 3 clone. They said Vivendi wanted it that way. I really think that the Rome: Total War engine would have been perfect for this game. Ah well, I still have some faith in Liquid to deliver a fun game, even if it not exactly how I wanted it..

Hmm, looks like we've got 2 Warcraft 3 clones in the screenshots today:):) http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-04-18

News Comments > Freedom Fighters Website
6. Interesting.. Jul 27, 2003, 20:09 Rictor

Well, depends on who you ask. The KLA (Kosovo Liberation Army) are by all defenitions terrorists, but they call themselves freedom fighters. The same is true in many other countries.

Ofcourse the game is about beating the big bad evil Russians. No one would ever think of making a game about repeling an American invasion, cause we all no that has never happened:):)

The game looks promising though. I especially like the "communist propaganda" look of the website. Red Faction 2 had that throughout the game, and it looked very cool. Intruiging concept, and from what I know, Io knows how to make 3rd person shooters. The lack of multiplayer doesn't really upset me, cause I mostly play games for the singleplayer storyline

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Navy SEALs: WoMD
31. Alright then Jul 21, 2003, 20:35 Rictor

Nah man. If you seek out factual information and quiestion the validity of your sources, and you still agree with Bush, that fine by me. I just don't like it when people blindly follow CNN or Fox and then claim to be informed. If you don't fit into this category, then I've got no (well, less) beef with you.

28. No subject Jul 21, 2003, 19:11 Rictor

Yeah, Doom 3 does look nice. I'v seen the Quake 4 renders and let me tell you, that engine freaking rocks. I don't think Halflife 2 has enough dramatic lighting. I know they're going for realism, but I just prefe when they overdo it a bit. Even though I never got why people thinkg HL is so great, I'm still looking forward to HL2, alot.

And please, why would you say that every opinion is uninformed. I happen to know both sides of the story, and I am pretty skeptical of my information sources, so why am I uninformed? The only people who are uninformed are those who do not question. Why do you have a problem with people calmly discussing a matter with the support of factual information and logical sense.

26. Here.. Jul 21, 2003, 18:47 Rictor

Read it. It states my opinions more eloquently than I could.
http://www.theboywhocriediraq.com/

And please, don't give up after the first page. Even if you find it hard to stomach all this pansy liberal BS, try to read the wqhole thing, cause that way atleast you aware of the other side of the story.

______

The US in now in direct control of Iraqi oil assets. They have unfettered access to the second largest oil resource in the world. The oil in Texas is nothing compared to the oil in Iraq. And not to mention the bombs, cruise missles, tanks, airplanes, rifles etc etc, which all cost money, lots of it. The US's military budget for 2003 (or 2004, gotta check on that) is 369 billion dollars. PLease let that figure sink in for a while. that BILLION, not million. Is it a coincidence that politicians favour war, when they own or are affiliated with the people who profit from the war. Those 369 billion are going to someone. Do you doubt that the major players in Washington are going to be seeing a portiuon of that money?

Again, read the above link

24. Hmmm.. Jul 21, 2003, 17:40 Rictor

Why do people automatically discount anything that sounds far fetched, eve it it seems to make sense.

The war on terrorism, the war in Iraq, homeland security, national secirty etc etcf are making some people very very rich.

It is in the best interest of the US that terrorist activities at home and around the world continue to exist, becuase the "war of terror" gives the US the justification to do whatever they want with minimal (less than before 9/11) reprisal from the international security.

3000 lives for the freedom to do whatever he so wishes for the next 10 years? If given the chance (I suspect he arleady was) do you doubt that Bush would think twice?

I'm not telling you what to think. And neither should anyone else. If you hear someone saying "Think this, do this, attack him, hate them, love us, ignore them etc etc" think about they are doing it. And then make your own judgement.

News Comments > Freespace 2 Inferno
10. For more Freespace goodness.. Jul 17, 2003, 14:49 Rictor

If you have any questions or comments about Inferno, for example like tech support, you should check out the Hardlight Productions forums. Thats where Inferno, and the majority of the Freespace community is located.
Theres tons of other mods and campaigns that have been released, so you might as well get the most out of your Freespace 2 re-install :):)

that links is:

http://www.3dap.com/hlp

News Comments > Universe Unlimited Unveiled
3. Re: Warning, stupid website Apr 28, 2003, 21:42 Rictor

I can't really comment on the game since there isnt really alot of info about it. Could you give us a vague idea as to what the gameplay will be like? For example: "Like Freelancer + MOO3". Well you get the idea.

The concept sounds intruiging, since it breaks from the traditional mmorpg. I dont think you would necesarrily have to have to best graphics or go long with the existing MMO conventions to capture a solid audience. Look at Utopia and Planetarion, just 2 examples of MMO (in a way) games that are purely text based and yet have hundreds of thousands of people playing them.

As for the website...it really isnt that great. Sorry to say it but its true. I suggest you invest a bit of money (I'de say no more than maybe 500$ is needed) to set up a good looking website. There are lots of talented webdesigners out there that are willing to work for less than you'de expect. The website is basically all that the public sees of your product, and so should appear to be profesional.

Anyways, hope it turns our well, since the MMO games market is quickly becoming "same old same old".

News Comments > Warrior Kings Battles Demo
6. No subject Mar 10, 2003, 20:27 Rictor

he's kidding
or he's trolling

if he's serious then he is so stupid that arguing is pointless

News Comments > Game Development & Mods
6. INteresting.. Feb 12, 2003, 18:50 Rictor

Where did you read about the Doom3 alpha testers saying it was better.. can you please link to any discussion on this, its looks interesting

If they pull it off (good graphics, ease of development) and it looks like they will, it would be cool

219 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo