Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blackhawk

Real Name Blackhawk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blackhawk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 6, 2003, 17:01
Total Comments 349 (Amateur)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > More BC2 VIP DLC This Month
12. Re: More BC2 VIP DLC This Month Mar 11, 2010, 12:40 Blackhawk

Yep, everyone gets a VIP code gratis for buying the game. If you buy it used or pirated, no code. The old 'give paying customers something more to make buying more appealing' technique we argue in favor of so often.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 6, 2010, 12:53 Blackhawk

In the past seven or so years, I've ordered dozens of shipments of PC parts and accessories. Every single one of them was from Newegg. I've had a couple of DOAs (manufacturer's fault), and every one of them was replaced in a heartbeat by Newegg. I've never had a single issue that Newegg was responsible for.

There is no question that someone scammed Newegg, and the consumers got the results. There is no way Newegg was involved in some sort of 'conspiracy.' You don't toss out a stellar reputation for a scam involving a 100% chance of being found out by every single victim.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
74. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 13:31 Blackhawk

It won't be cracked on day one. The first game may take days, weeks, even months to crack. The reverse engineering will take time. That'll give the crackers an understanding of how the tech works, at which point they can change the game code so that it doesn't work that way anymore. They have to figure out how to do all that.

The thing is, once the first one is cracked, all the others that follow it will be cracked on day one.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
60. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 11:35 Blackhawk

I know people who game in hotel rooms without wifi, people who game while traveling, truckers who game in the back of their semis at night, people who still have dial-up that share their connection with the telephone, people whose connections go down all the time due to being in rural areas where the ISPs consider them a low priority, people who have a couple of months every year where their connections become unreliable due to weather, active service personnel who game on base - the list goes on. Still, if a half a dozen of the major publishers adopted this technology, these people could all be effectively blocked from pursuing their hobby.

Now, of course, Ubi doesn't care. These people represent a small fraction of the market share. If they lose all the sales from that part of the market, plus lose sales from the reputation hit, but gain enough sales from frustrated pirates willing to drop sixty bucks on something they thought sounded good for free, then Ubi will increase revenues.

Of course, the numbers have to support this. If A + B < X (total lost sales is less than gained sales), and the extra sales compensate for the money dumped into developing the system, they're gold. The problem is, there is no way to determine X. There is no way to compare total sales of Ass Creed 2 with the DRM with sales without the DRM. All they can do is guess, and the sources they like to quote for their numbers (# of prevented pirated downloads = # of lost sales) is absolutely fictitious.

Translation: Ubi is being run by idgits who have an idea to 'fix' things and are so certain that they're right that they feel there is no need to actually verify it with data before they proceed.

As to the rumor that they're trying to kill PC gaming so that they can leave it behind: Why would they make it so complicated and spend millions to do so? If they wanted to leave it behind, they'd just stop making PC versions. The only people they'd piss off would be their non-customers.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2
25. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 8, 2010, 23:11 Blackhawk

Wasn't this the one that they refused to allow the controls to be remapped on the basis that they'd written the game around a console controller and said outright that they wanted the PC version to be more console-like rather than rebalancing it for a more precise control system?  

News Comments > BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com
26. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 24, 2010, 19:34 Blackhawk

Yes, you could sell someone your EA login along with the game, but that wouldn't work well for commercial resellers, which is the main target here - not someone selling a friend their account.  

News Comments > BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com
15. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 24, 2010, 17:46 Blackhawk

Publishers have been trying for more than a decade now to stop the second hand sale of games. It has been against the EULA of games for years. The only thing that is different now is that people have accepted the concept of online authentication, so they can enforce it.

What's scarier is that EA is known for pulling multiplayer support at the drop of a hat. On a pure MP game, that's like turning it off.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit
12. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 20, 2010, 20:43 Blackhawk

I've learned to game one year behind the industry. You get everything fully patched and working, you get games with DRM already removed, the hardware to run them is cheaper, and there have been dozens of FAQs written for them. Any mods are established and polished. Not only that, you get all those $60 games for $20 or less.

It is so much more pleasant than to keep up with this week's releases.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Preorders
14. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Preorders Jan 19, 2010, 07:06 Blackhawk

If they Cataclysm comes out next fall, they're going to have to promote and present a patch 3.4 as if it were a mini expansion just to keep peoples' attention.  

News Comments > Medal of Honor Announced
12. Re: Medal of Honor Announced Dec 2, 2009, 18:50 Blackhawk

I missed the early MoH games. Maybe this one will be an open sandbox type battlefield type game. ?? Yes, there's definitely room for another entry here.

The MoH series have been exciting, fast paced, and insanely linear scripted action shooters designed to make you feel like you're in a war movie rather than in a war.

News Comments > Future Wars Announced
4. Re: Future Wars Announced Dec 1, 2009, 08:43 Blackhawk

I feel homelike already!  

News Comments > Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys
37. Re: Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys Nov 21, 2009, 09:07 Blackhawk

There's some guy outside with a trench coat and Rolexes saying, "Psst - wanna buy a watch?" You can buy one if you want. You can even pretend they're real. If you really believe they're real, though, you're a fool.

In this world, where caveat emptor is the rule, anyone who buys from a questionable source, who accepts a 'too good to be true' deal and gets nailed for it was either hoping to get away with something or a fool.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Nov 2, 2009, 21:51 Blackhawk

That Prince of Persia looks more like a Prince of Sweden. An American actor of European descent with a fake British accent.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Early Access Delayed
12. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Early Access Delayed Oct 27, 2009, 21:56 Blackhawk

Remember when demos were advertising that the publishers begged you to try, rather than 'perks'?  

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Oct 18, 2009, 08:43 Blackhawk

I do believe I said that they had great prices. I wasn't bitching about their prices, just their advertising.

Most companies don't advertise sales based on MSRP. They advertise sales based on their current, non-sale prices. The prices they sell an item at if it isn't on sale. In fact, when companies do advertise based on MSRP, they invariably state that in a disclaimer to limit liability for false advertising claims.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Oct 17, 2009, 19:58 Blackhawk

Better examples:

Pirates of The Burning Sea on GoGamer. Save 90%.

Gogamer says the game is $49.99, on sale for $4.90.

You can get it on Amazon for $6.99. That means you're only saving two bucks.

Call of Juarez on GoGamer. Save 90%.

90% of $49.99

Amazon new is actually $9.47

Now, I'm not saying that GoGamer doesn't have some great deals. These really are good prices. Two Worlds for three bucks? Hell yeah. Their advertised discounts, on the other hand, are complete fabrications.

I've been a GoGamer fan for years. I've got a GoGamer coaster under my coffee right now. This, though, really makes me think my trust is misplaced. If you're dishonest in one thing, prudence suggests that you'll be dishonest in others, too.

Hey, GoGamer - advertise the awesome prices (as they really are) and get back the customer trust and word of mouth that made you so popular to begin with!

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Oct 17, 2009, 17:43 Blackhawk

You should really consider not listing GoGamer sales as long as they're playing this game of listing a five year old game at $50, then offering it at current retail and calling it '85% off'. It's a scam aimed at people not aware of game price trends, not a sale.  

News Comments > Win7 & Diablo II
12. Re: Win7 & Diablo II Oct 9, 2009, 13:22 Blackhawk

whats the resolution hack? can you do 1920x1200

http://www.moddb.com/games/diablo-2/news/d2multires

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Oct 7, 2009, 19:59 Blackhawk

Hey, GoGamer!

Quit listing 4 1/2 year old games at the full $50 release price and then claiming a 90% discount for selling it at current retail.

News Comments > etc.
2. Gah. Sep 11, 2009, 12:27 Blackhawk

Forced, artificial diversity is more insulting to minorities than no diversity. Besides, in a century and a half, multiracial people will likely be more common than either white or (quoting the article), "people of color."  

349 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo