Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blackhawk

Real Name Blackhawk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blackhawk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 6, 2003, 17:01
Total Comments 358 (Amateur)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles
22. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles Sep 12, 2010, 15:03 Blackhawk

I haven't played the game, so I can't really say how it is, but I can say that they're misinterpreting the problem PC gamers have.

Back in the '90s, games on the two platforms were very different, but I think these days it's all about bringing things together [...] I see it as convergence, and it's the same for games.

Sure, granted. PC games and console games started out with two completely different styles of gameplay, and lately they've been converging. That much is true.

The problem is that they aren't converging in the middle. 'Convergence' suggests that you should be getting games that are 50% PC style and 50% console style. People are pissed off because they're getting 15% PC and 85% console. The console market dominance has been so strong that it has been the style to set the standard, and PC gamers have had all their favorite, long established series redesigned to fit that standard.

It sucks when you support the Rainbow Six series (as an obvious example) for years, then see it turned into a shallow third person cover, health regenerating, simplified orders action game. Even when the changes aren't that extreme, any time a console/PC style choice is binary, the console option is the one that is chosen.

Any gameplay that can be achieved on a ten button pad can be achieved on a 100+ key keyboard. Any interface that will work on a standard definition TV will work on a 1680x1050 monitor. The reverse is not true. You can't put complex key combinations that work on keyboards onto a gamepad. You can't make detailed text that works fine on a monitor work on at TV. That means that when they 'converge', it has to be designed for the more limited system. That means the console.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2010, 18:43 Blackhawk

Medal of Honor folks: Stop trying to explain your decisions. Every time you do, it comes across as ridiculous. Remember when you tried to explain the lack of blood way back in Allied Assault? You said that, historically, the enemies' uniforms in WWII were so thick that they didn't bleed when shot.

Rabble rousers will always be rabble rousers. Stop trying to explain. It doesn't work.

News Comments > The Bible Online Beta
10. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 6, 2010, 15:43 Blackhawk

Anonymous wrote on Sep 6, 2010, 15:10:
Spoiler: Jesus dies.

It doesn't matter, though, because they brought him back a few pages later. He was gone again before the end, but they keep promising to bring him back for the final episode.

News Comments > Ultima Online Call to Arms
12. Re: Ultima Online Call to Arms Aug 7, 2010, 11:20 Blackhawk

Starcraft has an isometric viewpoint. Ultima Online uses a forced perspective isometric view, which is another matter entirely.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 19:37 Blackhawk

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost both of my parents the same way, so I know what it's like.  

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Domains
7. Re: Arkham Asylum Domains Jul 12, 2010, 18:09 Blackhawk

Consider that every time a dev or publisher registers a single domain, all sorts of silly speculation follows. This could just be the PR department disguising the real URL in a pile of meaningless ones, allowing them to announce whatever they're doing in their own time.  

News Comments > NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
4. Re: NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Jun 29, 2010, 15:30 Blackhawk

Dev wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 15:11:

The nvidia stuff REQUIRES a "3D Vision-Ready" 120Hz HD LCD monitor to use 3d, plus a $200 set of shutter glasses.

So you are talking a number of thousands of dollars to get this working. Thats why I think the 3d thing is kinda silly. But I do like the idea of the surround multi monitor thing.

What was previously posted was referring to this: Nvidia 3d Vision Discover, which will let any halfway modern PC with recent drivers create an anaglyph red/blue 3d image from hundreds of games on the fly. All you need is a set of generic red/blue glasses.

News Comments > FPS Manifesto
9. Re: FPS Manifesto Jun 10, 2010, 00:13 Blackhawk

This is not an FPS manifesto. This is a multiplayer FPS manifesto. There is a difference.  

News Comments > On Pro Gamer Fitness
17. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 18:42 Blackhawk

shaggy wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 11:00:

Athletes can see gains by working out in what they enjoy. Gamers do not.

Nonsense. Moderate physical activity increases mental acuity. That isn't an anecdote, it is a well researched, proven fact. 30 minutes a day of aerobic activity most certainly would improve their game.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 7, 2010, 11:39 Blackhawk

ASeven wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 10:50:
Before people jump on the DRM article,
So basically the article is an elaborate troll, nothing more.

Presenting both sides of an argument isn't the same as trolling. Trolling is about the reaction, not the argument.

It's fairly important, if anyone wants to do anything other than the typical internet angry mob ranting that everyone ignores, to be aware of both sides of the issue, which is what makes articles like this worthwhile.

News Comments > Mafia II Collector's Edition & Preorder DLC
8. Re: Mafia II Collector's Edition & Preorder DLC May 26, 2010, 18:17 Blackhawk

Orchestral soundtrack? I was hoping they'd keep with the licensed music. Obviously they couldn't use exactly the same music in the later period, but the first game's classic jazz was part of what made it so atmospheric.  

News Comments > On Aging Gamers
15. Re: On Aging Gamers May 18, 2010, 09:43 Blackhawk

A lot of people seem to be have the wrong idea here. Accessibility doesn't necessarily mean 'simple'. It isn't a reference to the gameplay. Accessibility means things like colorblind modes, subtitles, and the ability to adjust font/interface sizes. This isn't Dragon Age versus Bejeweled. This is Dragon Age with subtitles versus Dragon Age that people with hearing problems can't play.  

News Comments > Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site
30. Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 22:43 Blackhawk

GW is well within their legal rights.

On the other hand, Games Workshop has a long standing and well-earned reputation for having their heads up their asses when it comes to controlling their products. Not reasonable protectiveness control, but obnoxious to the point that many hobby stores have refused to even carry their products due to their insane restrictions, and don't even think about trying to retail their products online.

GW are looked at like Fox meets Ubi in the wargames communities. This is just another echo of that attitude.

News Comments > Metaverse
1. Re: Metaverse Apr 21, 2010, 10:42 Blackhawk

Dear Sites Who Hate Ad Blockers:

If you don't like ad blockers, don't go after the end users who are protecting themselves, go after the companies who shovel out flashing animated ads, sound ads, popup ads, ads that track users, and ads with malicious code.

A certain non-negligible percentage of websites abuse the idea of advertising. As such, users are justified in protecting themselves. That their protection also affects you isn't the result of the user's choices. It is the result of the abusers' choices.

How's this: If you run a site with a loyal fanbase, guarantee them that you will never run invasive ads, and then appeal to them to disable their ad block just for your site - AdBlock has a white list function. Don't just blindly ban them for not wanting code from random ad agencies running on their systems.

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
43. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 06:58 Blackhawk

Most of the really impressive manuals went out when the industry switched to the small boxes. There just wasn't room for them. When the push was made to package everything in DVD format (even if there was no DVD case), even small dimension large manuals had to go. Since then, there hasn't been enough room available to put in anything but disclaimers, copyright notices, credits, system requirements, and list a few basic controls.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
21. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 19, 2010, 22:43 Blackhawk

Translation:

Joe Suit: "We can save money if we quit including manuals, but how can we make it sound like we're not inconveniencing them for our benefit?"

Bob in marketing: "Manuals are made out of paper, right? We just tell 'em that we're doing to save the environment! Everyone loves the environment, right baby? Hell, yeah! Even if the the whole thing only saves trees that were grown on tree farms, and the 'energy savings' is a fraction of the cost of the internal memos we shred each month, people will love it! So what if the waste water we're 'saving' is only about the equivalent of two leaky toilets - We'll just quote some big sounding numbers and the consumers will be so impressed that they'll forget all about that 'evil bastards' stuff."

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2010, 21:04 Blackhawk

A big part of game design is specifically about arranging things to appeal to the senses and emotions. Artists spend hundreds of hours arranging colors and patterns into textures to either recreate a natural object or to create a subjective impression of one. Modelers - 3d sculptors - then take those textures and spend hundreds more hours to create renditions of objects that create a visual and emotional appeal. Level designers take these things and arrange them, not just to create a mechanical experience, but to create a visual effect, an emotional 'wow' moment. Think about the tram ride into Half-Life, or walking through the Shire in LotRO. Think about certain levels in the Thief series. They use space, color, contrast, depth, perspective to create emotional responses in the viewer. How is that so different than film or two dimensional static art?

Now, on top of that, you've got musicians. Maybe they're not Mozart or Vivaldi, but neither are most of the other musicians today who are collectively called 'artists'. You've got writers telling stories through both observed events and dialogue and through experiences they put the viewer through himself. Writing is certainly an art form.

Then you have a producer who takes all of these disparate elements, any one of which you'd have to be one hell of an egotist to deny being art, and combines them - again - to create yet another level of sensory and emotional impact.

Are they Citizen Kane, Handel's Messiah, or Starry Night? Maybe not. Neither are most of the films made today, and yet I don't see Ebert denying that because they're not on par with the greatest works of all time that they aren't deserving of the respect of being seen as 'art'.

Saying that a game can't be art is a slap in the face of hundreds of skilled, professional artists. Graphic artists, sculptors, writers, musicians, composers, producers, foley artists, actors, and more.

News Comments > XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced
70. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 17:40 Blackhawk

JoeNapalm wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 15:21:
Blackhawk wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 14:49:

Funny that someone mentioned SWAT 4, which itself is a part of a series whose earlier incarnations included both an isometric strategy game (Police Quest: SWAT 2) and an interactive FMV game (Police Quest: SWAT) which were, in turn, spun off of an adventure series (Police Quest.)

I don't recall anybody mentioning that SWAT 4 was a horrible game because it wasn't a 2d adventure.

Seriously, though - the premise of "SWAT 4 was derived from Police Quest, so therefore an X-COM FPS is a good idea" is quite a stretch...and about four different kinds of faulty logic.

A equals B, therefore C must equal D!

By your logic

You can't criticize my logic until you improve your reading comprehension. I didn't say that an XCom FPS was a good idea. I could bring up X-Com Enforcer or C&C Renegade to counter that. What I said is that a spin off into a different genre isn't automatically a bad idea. Whether this is a good idea or not will have to wait until the reviews are out.

56. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 14:49 Blackhawk

Funny that someone mentioned SWAT 4, which itself is a part of a series whose earlier incarnations included both an isometric strategy game (Police Quest: SWAT 2) and an interactive FMV game (Police Quest: SWAT) which were, in turn, spun off of an adventure series (Police Quest.)

I don't recall anybody mentioning that SWAT 4 was a horrible game because it wasn't a 2d adventure.

35. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 11:20 Blackhawk

This isn't a strategy game that they just announced would have base building and Warcraft style resource management. It is a shooter. To me, that falls well within the 'Spin-off' exclusion.

The C&C series wasn't ruined by Renegade. The Warhammer 40k property wasn't ruined by Fire Warrior. How will the X-Com strategy series be ruined by an X-Com shooter? Did Enforcer ruin it?

358 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo