Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blackhawk

Real Name Blackhawk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blackhawk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 6, 2003, 17:01
Total Comments 357 (Amateur)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds Aug 30, 2013, 01:51 Blackhawk

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 22:02:
Long way from these old Army commercials.

That was '81? Holy crap, now I really feel old.

The power of advertising is amazing. I can't remember what my house looked like in '81, but I remembered every line in the song and every line of dialog in that commercial before they said it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding
9. Re: Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding Aug 11, 2013, 17:00 Blackhawk

The whole idea of Kickstarter was that it was a mechanism by which developers could get investment funding for projects. The idea of it being a pre-order system for new games is a recent and problematic way of looking at the system. I've donated to a couple of projects that included either no rewards or rewards that were meaningless, not because I wanted goodies, but because I thought they were things that needed to happen.  

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
49. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 21:56 Blackhawk

Nonsense. First off, every character is casting a shadow. They are currently casting them at about 1:00 from the camera position, so most of them are covered by the characters' bodies. They aren't great shadows, but they're there if you - you know - look. With your eyes.

I can plainly see, without much effort, one pile of candles to each side of the door, one electric doojie, two large braziers on the floor, two large wall braziers, and two smaller light sources to either side of the northwest door. They're easily visible if you - you know - look. With your eyes.

Semantics and nitpicking on negative space? Your criticism was that there were black borders and it wasn't scaling correctly, as if it were letterboxed or something. What, exactly, do you expect them to put in the spaces between rooms? The areas that are, in all likelihood, filled with rock or dirt. Making them black is the standard way - even today - to represent negative space.

Seriously, if you don't like the game, don't get it. If you want to criticize it, criticize it for real issues. Don't make up crap to validate your opinion.

45. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 20:25 Blackhawk

What screenshots are you looking at? I count nine light sources without even trying, and some can be assumed on the walls pointing away from us. There are no black borders, only black in the negative space. Flat floor tiles? Look at the lighting - the worn floor tiles and bricks are very clearly uneven.

You may hate the game, but little of what you're saying reflects what we're being shown.

43. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 19:23 Blackhawk

There is more than one way to 'modernize' a game. You could take today's gameplay and put it into the infinity engine at 640x480. You could take yesterday's gameplay and put it into today's technology. If you have Big Names and want to do both, you don't need Kickstarter.

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:17:
PE was their last chance to prove what they can do without the "evil corporate overlord" and the result is... not so much more than with them, obviously, since this is the exact same stuff they have been producing under Interplay's and Atari's lead a decade+ ago.

The 'evil corporate overlords' quit letting them make games like this a decade+ ago. If they wanted a game in today's style, they wouldn't have needed to use Kickstarter.

Instead, they wanted to release a game in a classic style using modern technology.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Trailer (Catch Up)
6. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Trailer (Catch Up) Aug 1, 2013, 13:21 Blackhawk

See, that's the nice thing about Kickstarter for games. You can make your game for a niche audience (say, old-school gamers) and not worry about adjusting it to modern conventions in order to make money.  

News Comments > 7.7 Million WoW Subs
32. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 18:25 Blackhawk

Put these numbers a different way:

If Joe Developer launched subscription MMO #758 today, and ended up with 7.7 million subscribers, the game would be considered wildly successful.

BitWraith wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 15:19:
FTP games are successful. WoW is trending downwards. Blizzard is run by smart people, they are talking about this, I promise you.

Absolutely. Blizzard has been talking about it for years. I remember reading quotes from them on it back when their subscriptions were still climbing like mad. They are well aware that the popularity of games waxes and wanes, and they took that into account.

Back when Wrath was first announced they said that they planned to take the game to around level 100, by which time they expected that WoW's decline would be well underway, and while they'd maintain and patch WoW, they'd focus their development efforts on other projects (presumably Titan.)

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
14. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 20, 2013, 17:24 Blackhawk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 17:23:
Play Complex 8 against 7 AI's and not have battles grind to a halt ;p Lot's of weaponry = lots of CPU based lag.

Ah. Never heard of it. Googling is called for.

News Comments > Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced
12. Re: Homeworld HD and Homeworld 2 HD Announced Jul 20, 2013, 17:16 Blackhawk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 17:13:
Would get it if it fixed HW2 to be multi-threaded and support all resolution and aspects. But yeah... Complex 8 has to run on it, or else it's worthless

What would it even do with multi-threading? It was designed to run on an 833MHz/256MB RAM system. Even an HD update wouldn't use up a single core.

News Comments > EA Phenomic Closed: Report
2. Re: EA Phenomic Closed: Report Jul 13, 2013, 00:04 Blackhawk

Hey, EA - if you're going to shut someone down for practical business reasons, do so, but at least say that's what you're doing.

Stuffing 'realignment', 'small adjustment' 'better focus' and 'priority growth' all into two sentences is condescending and dishonest PR doublespeak.

News Comments > WARMACHINE: TACTICS Kickstarter
10. Re: WARMACHINE: TACTICS Kickstarter Jul 11, 2013, 19:53 Blackhawk

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:08:
So this is a publisher who is kickstarting something? Why are people backing shit that has a publisher involved? Let them fork over their own fucking money.

Creston

Privateer Press isn't a video game publisher, they're a miniature/tabletop publisher who just happen to own the Warmachine IP.

It's sort of the way that Wizard of the Coast is a publisher involved in the D&D video games.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Movie Status
8. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 11:25 Blackhawk

nin wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:29:
Also Pacific Rim. What the hell? Giant robots against giant sea monsters? What the fuck was Del Toro thinking....

I'll say it again: It's either going to be totally awesome, or totally cheesy.

These need not be mutually exclusive.

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled
17. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 19:48 Blackhawk

m0deth wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 17:03:
All these things being said and so far, nobody mentions that Heavy Gear sucked. Period.

That's because that's an opinion, and a minority opinion. Don't state it as if it were an indisputable fact. The review scores - especially for Heavy Gear II - were high, and a lot of people cite it as a favorite.

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled
1. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 13:48 Blackhawk

You want to 'give the fans what they want', and yet they have clearly shown that they don't want what you're giving them.

Stop evaluating other funding and start evaluating the product. Find out what people like about Heavy Gear and make that game.

News Comments > Scrolls in the Black After One Week
8. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 13:37 Blackhawk

If I'm making a prototype widget, and I let you buy it, telling you upfront is a prototype only, with the final product to be presented at some future time, it doesn't somehow become a finished product because I accepted payment, nor am I 'tricking' you if I told you upfront that it was only a prototype.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jun 19, 2013, 21:50 Blackhawk

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:14:
Damn Slim, RIP. I'll be reaching out to Box Car Willy and Zamfir before it is too late.

Too late for Boxcar - by about 15 years.

News Comments > The War Z Name Change
8. Re: The War Z Name Change Jun 19, 2013, 19:16 Blackhawk

In other words, they glued on a paper moustache and are hoping nobody will notice.  

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
14. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 14:48 Blackhawk

I'd prefer a classic Thief game, too, but:

They said from the beginning that this was a reboot. It isn't the same Thief games we used to play, and it isn't supposed to be. The Thief franchise was dead. The old games are still playable, and nothing they do will change them.

I'd rather have a good, atmospheric new game (by any name) than not have it. My concern is whether they can make a good new game (that may or may not remind me of a classic.)

It's like watching the Dark Knight trilogy and complaining that it doesn't have enough spandex and day-glo. Same basic setting. Completely different experience.

News Comments > Titanfall Announced
29. Re: Titanfall Announced Jun 10, 2013, 15:53 Blackhawk

When discussing console prices, don't forget inflation.

The NES, in today's money, would cost $426. The XBox would be $387.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 7, 2013, 20:04 Blackhawk

Because there are many, many fail-safes designed to ensure that innocent people don't get executed by the state.

Of course, those fail-safes sometimes fail, and the process itself is extremely inefficient.

357 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo