Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blackhawk

Real Name Blackhawk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blackhawk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 6, 2003, 17:01
Total Comments 363 (Amateur)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim DLC Will Be "More Substantial"
11. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be Nov 8, 2011, 00:03 Blackhawk

Icewind wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:05:
Blackhawk wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 22:44:
The horse armor was one of the first pieces of DLC to be released for the PC, back when it was still a new concept. They were experimenting, trying to figure out where the value/content line needed to be. They've admitted themselves that they were way, way off on a couple of the first pieces.

And here we are, in an era where it's now acceptable.

Had the horse armor come out today people would be smiling about it, buying it and bragging about buying it.

No, today the value of DLC has been established with hundreds of precedents. They could either put out horse armor for 99 cents, or they could put out a full priced piece of DLC comparable to the Fallout material they released.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim DLC Will Be "More Substantial"
3. Re: Skyrim DLC Will Be "More Substantial" Nov 7, 2011, 22:44 Blackhawk

The horse armor was one of the first pieces of DLC to be released for the PC, back when it was still a new concept. They were experimenting, trying to figure out where the value/content line needed to be. They've admitted themselves that they were way, way off on a couple of the first pieces.  

News Comments > LEGO Universe to Close
7. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 02:07 Blackhawk

Lego Universe is targeted at kids the same age as my own. The very same kids who play Roblox, with 100 times the content, for free. My kids tried LU. It never drew them in - there was far to little freedom and actual building, and far to much running in circles hitting enemies. They played for two or three days, then went right back to Roblox.  

News Comments > Lord of the Rings: War in the North Demo an OnLive Exclusive
1. Re: Lord of the Rings: War in the North Demo an OnLive Exclusive Nov 2, 2011, 23:18 Blackhawk

Wow. Remember when demos were advertising the publishers begged us to see? Now we've gone and made them into perks we beg them for.  

News Comments > Gamer Food
11. Re: Gamer Food Nov 2, 2011, 15:35 Blackhawk

Trail mix with stimulants and imaginary 'performance enhancers' that cost a fortune and do absolutely nothing, wrapped in a condescending, insulting marketing scheme.

Just what I'm looking to spend my money on.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Interview
11. Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Oct 31, 2011, 22:42 Blackhawk

Ah. I was hoping for a single player campaign focused game.

Still, World of Mechs is better than no mechs at all.

News Comments > Origin Adds Publishers
3. Re: Origin Adds Publishers Oct 27, 2011, 21:49 Blackhawk

The fact that EA is one of the big players could prevent them from competing with Steam. As big as Valve is, they themselves rarely put out more than one or two games a year. EA is everybody's direct competition.  

News Comments > Skyrim Specs
19. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 25, 2011, 23:28 Blackhawk

Having spent an insane amount of time with all of the recent Elder Scrolls games (and the Fallout titles), I have to say I couldn't care less what the default textures are like. I won't be seeing much of them, anyway, just like the default UI and default (whatever.)  

News Comments > Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted?
11. Re: Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted? Oct 24, 2011, 15:34 Blackhawk

Rosco wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 11:14:
Oh boy, another modern day cookie cutter combat game. Remember the good ol' days when everyone used to bitch about WWII shooters?

I miss those WWII shooters now.

Hear, hear. People bemoan one overused setting and we end up with another that's even more overdone. I'd wish they'd just alternate instead of 20 WWII games followed by 30 modern military games.

News Comments > More BF3 Norway Follow-up
8. Re: More BF3 Norway Follow-up Oct 20, 2011, 12:31 Blackhawk

Wow. Lay off the Deus Ex, polish up your tin foil hats, and go back to bed.  

News Comments > BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Alleged [Updated]
9. Re: BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Alleged Oct 18, 2011, 18:39 Blackhawk

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 18:22:
Blackhawk wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 18:09:
This is why the 'reviewer conspiracies' are so silly.

Try and manipulate a bunch of media outlets, and a bunch of media outlets are going to have articles about it.

Just because 1 or 2 come forward doesn't mean a whole lot. How many do not? Probably a great deal. In short the only reviews I trust are peer reviews from people I know who like similar games that I do.

Anytime s publisher tries this shit these sites should just award them a big fat zero and the reason why that is.

I was a reviews manager for a mid sized gaming site (now gone) and dealt with a lot of publishers, big and small, for years. In all that time, I had exactly one try to influence a review, and that was a small indie developer.

Had a company the size of EA tried to pull something like this, they'd have been our front page. Why? Because we'd get more readers on something like that than we'd get putting out the review four days early. It is possible that the 'Big Five' have enough to lose that they'd cave, but the rest of the gaming press would have more to gain reporting this kind of conduct than they would accepting it.

If this kind of thing was common, you'd hear about it a lot, lot more than you do.

News Comments > BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Alleged [Updated]
4. Re: BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Alleged Oct 18, 2011, 18:09 Blackhawk

This is why the 'reviewer conspiracies' are so silly.

Try and manipulate a bunch of media outlets, and a bunch of media outlets are going to have articles about it.

News Comments > Mod Removes Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gold Filter
23. Re: Mod Removes Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gold Filter Sep 23, 2011, 17:36 Blackhawk

I dislike the yellow, and I hate the fact that every single place, including places like laboratory interiors, are filled with smoke, so this mod got my hopes up.

I fiddled with the mod this morning. Unfortunately what the article doesn't tell you is that you have to play in DX9 mode, not DX11, you have to turn off all shadows, my loading time increased, my framerate dropped, and I got horrible mouse lag.

It's a great idea, but it needs more work.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours
8. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours Sep 19, 2011, 18:26 Blackhawk

In my personal experience, when content is advertised at 10 hours, most people play it in six, and I take 15.  

News Comments > DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month
6. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 14:26 Blackhawk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:46:
So if I am subscription based for 3 months, then drop sub, what happens to my character(s)?

Has this been addressed in any game yet?

The only free game I've played where I'd previously subscribed was LotRO. There, if you end your subscription, character slots past #x (the free number of slots) are simply locked, and the characters in those slots become inaccessible until you resume your subscription.

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
11. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 10:03 Blackhawk

Exactly.

They're separating out a less desirable aspect of their business, trying some experiments with it to see if it can be rescued (adding games, probably some pricing experiments or shipping changes), and, should it continue to be undesirable, they will kill it. By that time, though, Netflix and Quickster will be different products in most peoples' minds.

In a year or two when you read headlines saying "Quickster to End Services", many people won't associate that with their Netflix streaming service at all, and the experiments and odd decisions for one won't affect the customer base for the other.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 and CoD Elite Details
2. Re: Modern Warfare 3 and CoD Elite Details Sep 2, 2011, 21:52 Blackhawk

A few years ago we had an endless glut of WWII games. Eventually people got sick of them.

Since then, we've had an endless glut of modern military shooters. Battlefield 2, Bad Company, Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, three Call of Duty titles in a row, Medal of Honor's rebirth. It seems like a majority of major multiplayer focused FPS titles are all modern military shooters.

Maybe it's time for something new.

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
15. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 11:46 Blackhawk

Square had absolutely no choice. They simply cannot choose to make enemies of the #1 retail outlet for their product. Corporations don't belong to one person. They belong to a vast number of people. The person making the decision doesn't have the right to choose to cripple the business for all those people over a principle.  

News Comments > War of the Roses Announced
6. Re: War of the Roses Announced Aug 17, 2011, 15:49 Blackhawk

I'm not sure a medieval melee game could really be called a first person shooter.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
21. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 22:46 Blackhawk

It's a fine statue (although it does look a little like an 80s incense burner), but there is no way to justify that price. I grabbed the Oblivion and Fallout CEs, which had nice little tchotkes for $20 more, but $100? No way.  

363 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo