Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Blackhawk

Real Name Blackhawk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blackhawk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 6, 2003, 17:01
Total Comments 356 (Amateur)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
5. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 28, 2014, 21:04 Blackhawk

For a new developer with a new game, the value of being in a bundle has nothing to do with the money made from the bundle.

The value of being in a bundle is that, if your game is actually good, you are getting it out there into fans of that type of game to try, talk about, and tell their friends about. A handful of sales is the first step to building the kind of word of mouth that leads to ballooning sales later on.

Of course, your game has to be good first or the opposite happens.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
1. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 28, 2014, 20:02 Blackhawk

They refuse to supply paid for, promised products and think it will result in people buying another copy just to be nice to them?

I can see why they're having problems.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 13:51 Blackhawk

100,000? When Hegemonia came out, I dropped tens of billions through orbital bombardment in a single afternoon.  

News Comments > Sims 2 Support Ending
2. Re: Sims 2 Support Ending Jul 16, 2014, 10:00 Blackhawk

NKD wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 09:24:
I didn't even know they were still making content or updates for The Sims 2.

I don't think they were. I think they were just making it official so they could close that file and stick it in a drawer.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail
7. Re: Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail Jun 30, 2014, 10:23 Blackhawk

Unless they are actively trying to deceive people into thinking it is a finished product, I don't see what the big deal is.

Is it not the consumer's responsibility to take a few seconds to look at what they're buying before they spend their money? A game in-progress, openly marketed as a game in-progress with a price tag on it isn't dishonest. They are telling you what you get. They are telling you what you have to give them in return. You have 100% control over whether you decide to take advantage of that. They aren't deciding for you.

News Comments > Next Call of Duty Teased; Reveal on Sunday
17. Re: Next Call of Duty Teased; Reveal on Sunday May 2, 2014, 00:54 Blackhawk

The way people bitch, you'd almost think that EA didn't give you the choice to not spend your money on their products.

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
19. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 13:38 Blackhawk

Slashman wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 12:24:
I think my biggest annoyance with DA right now is how the end of DA1 had all these implications for the future of the world and none of that got explored in 2.

It's like: 'Hey, I may have helped create a new demon/dragon god baby that will sweep the earth under the tutelage of his mother!'

'No biggie...'

The problem is that doing so would create a completely different outcry.

Not everyone made a god baby. For them to use that as canon, they'd have to invalidate every other ending.

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
13. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 23:16 Blackhawk

Tomorrow's news: Valve gets a cease-and-desist from Microsoft for using their color/labeling scheme.  

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
12. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:24 Blackhawk

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:07:
Microsoft and their underwhelming efforts to achieve costumer satisfaction.

Yeah! They need to stop pandering to the rubber mask market!

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling
19. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 23:51 Blackhawk

For some people, yes. 1-90 is the point and the pleasure of the game. It is for me. For others, though, it is the end-game. They want the level 90 character for raiding, for heroics, for PvP.

As to 'pay to win', forget it. Someone who levels from 1 to 90 will have a huge advantage over someone who starts at 90 and has to learn dozens of skills and abilities, their interactions and rare utility from scratch.

News Comments > EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4
20. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 12:01 Blackhawk

That was just awful.

Every sentence is one of two things:

"Look how amazing EA/BF4 is."

or

"The stuff that went wrong wasn't our fault."

They're not ignorant. They know what went wrong. They just can't speak without an over-active PR filter turning into disingenuous nonsense.

EA - here's a hint. Your PR isn't protecting your image. It is making you look dishonest.

News Comments > MS Buys Gears of War, Hires Rod Fergusson
31. Re: MS Buys Gears of War, Hires Rod Fergusson Jan 27, 2014, 16:52 Blackhawk

This sounds like the same thing that happened with Bungie. MS gets the contract for a successful franchise (Halo, GoW) and then drives the developers to burn out pumping out sequels. The developers eventually decide that they want to be creative again, and end up having to give up their IP to do it.  

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
3. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 12:00 Blackhawk

Actually, it was Interplay's rights that ran out as of 12-31-13 as part of their settlement. That means that they have to re-contract with Bethesda before they can keep selling them.  

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 16:04 Blackhawk

There is a reason that PC games don't have extensive microtransactions in paid single player titles: It is an open platform. Make the microtransactions too obnoxious and too much of a hindrance, and many people will just google an unlock code/torrent.  

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
34. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 12:52 Blackhawk

QTEs are when games have you stop and play Guitar Hero on your controller in the middle of the action, with timed button presses and such, often to control a cutscene.

Often the effect is that you're so busy staring at the prompts that you don't actually get to see what happened in the cutscene.

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
14. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 10:25 Blackhawk

Bungie hasn't released a game on the PC in six years, and that one was most likely forced by Microsoft via contract as a bid to push Vista. It has been nine years since Bungie has willingly released a PC title, and fifteen since they have released one that actually did WELL on the PC.

Bungie is not a PC developer. Why would anyone be surprised that they aren't releasing their new game for PC?

News Comments > ROAM vs How to Survive
16. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 16:00 Blackhawk

Talk about setting yourself up for a libel suit.  

News Comments > New EA CEO
15. Re: New EA CEO Sep 18, 2013, 02:09 Blackhawk

Ya know, I used to spew corporate PR speak for a living, and even I'm not sure what he said.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements
14. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements Sep 9, 2013, 22:16 Blackhawk

Keep in mind that official minimums are designed to convince as many people as possible to buy. They generally give you 'playable' performance at minimum settings and resolution on a low-population server.

If you actually expect to play, expect the real minimums to be somewhere between the two.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds Aug 30, 2013, 01:51 Blackhawk

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 22:02:
Long way from these old Army commercials.

That was '81? Holy crap, now I really feel old.

The power of advertising is amazing. I can't remember what my house looked like in '81, but I remembered every line in the song and every line of dialog in that commercial before they said it.

356 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo