Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 516 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 19, 2013, 21:00 WaltC

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:15:
Singleplayer campaign is short, five or six hours some probably longer if you stop to look at every nut and bolt in the game.

Six hours? Forgedaboudeet! Great going Crytek--finally reached demo material level with the main single-player campaign! Congrats!

Six hours? Six? Tell me it isn't so. Blockbusters like Skyrim unfolding hundreds of hours of single play--while Cysis has been reduced to "six"--uh, if you look under every leaf and rock? Madness!

I shall *PASS* on this one, of course. What an "expected" but all the same "unexpected" disappointment. I still keep expecting the cookie cutters to surprise me.

My money will go elsewhere. And of course this answers the "no demo" question--hell, if you created a demo you might as well release the whole friggin' game for free! Six hours is a solid single-play demo--but if all you've got is six hours to offer--a demo is clearly off the table.

Relieved to pass on another regurgitated and truncated version of "Crysis." How many years have they been raping that title? Anyone remember? I really don't care, anymore.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
30. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 10:29 WaltC

Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:00:
It isn't that quick, they've been working on it off and on for years. Though I think the win 8 thing pushed a few of them to wheel their desks over to the linux corner.

Yea, the "Win8 thing"... Rolleyes Hopefully Gabe has begun to notice how many more of its Steam customers are running Win8 than are running Linux. I'm running Win8 and all of my Steam games run just fine--in fact, there isn't one Windows game I can download from Steam that won't run on Win 8. Even GoG is now certifying its titles compatible with Win 8. He apparently is pissed off because Microsoft opened an on-line store, although he never opened his mouth about Apple's...;) Go figure, people can be weird. The fact that Newell has never bothered to explain his seeming panic over Win 8 is surely understandable--it's embarrassing!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
26. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 15:16 WaltC

I agree that there's no question that GPG went for less than it would have had Chris decided to sell the company on the quiet a few months ago. He really hurt his company valuation with his desperado videos. Apparently, it sure seems like Wargaming was the only company stepping up to the plate to buy GPG, and that there was no competitive bidding among companies--Wargaming looks like "it" for interest in GPG.

But I think the experience Chris has along with his GPG employees is near invaluable--hard to even put a dollar amount on that kind of experience and talent, imo. And I also think GPG has a lot of valuable IP, too, which is something many other studios just don't have. I think GPG is worth far more than mere "payroll liabilities" to someone who understands that "bean counters will not successful games make"...;) Here's the thing, though: we don't know what and for how much GPG was sold. It's entirely possible that Chris might've retained ownership of some of that prior IP if not all of it. Or, he may have had to sell everything at clearance prices.

GPG was not in debt, IIRC, so Chris may have been a bit less desperate than you might think--and I don't think he was so desperate that he would have made a bad deal to keep going. I also think he primarily did this for the sake of his employees, too.

Some very positive stuff here for Chris...he doesn't have to shoulder the financial responsibility for the company along with the creative responsibility, and I think he will relish his new role inside Wargaming. I know that I would. If I was Wargaming, I'd care far less about the previous GPG IP than I would about the kinds of future games he could get out of the GPG crew--that's really where the company's value shines, imo.

Wildman was a hasty stab, no doubt about it. Another thought I had about Wildman is that GPG was planning on using some of its Empire-destined code base (consigned to limbo when Microsoft cancelled its arrangement with GPG)--and "Wildman" was what they were planning just to throw on top of that code to some extent. Hence the technological development stages Chris talked about for Wildman, etc.

I also think that Chris is the kind of person who would not have done the deal if he couldn't bring *everybody* with him, at least initially. I might be wrong but I doubt if he left anyone behind. I think that your evaluation and Wargame's rational for buying GPG are very different...;)

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
36. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 13, 2013, 08:34 WaltC

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:43:

Nothing you are saying is supported in fact.
For one, you have ZERO numbers showing that a decent demo of a decent game increases sales, let alone "2X." This guy has numbers that prove the opposite.

So argue his interpretation, don't throw out gibberish.

And the idea that people are going to bootleg a game to see if they like it is also absurd. The try-before-you-buy crowd isn't terribly large. Even the people here that do it mostly admit they buy it at a later date at a later price.
Plus he's discussing the 360, not the PC, making this a much more difficult thing to do.
Lastly, the games that routinely don't get demos, like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Modern Warfare, etc., all do extremely well and sell extremely fast without them. Their sales are very much day 1 and week 1 sales. A demo, which would come out around the time of release, wouldn't speed that up. At best it slows it down. Those consumers aren't swayed by demos at all, to them the prior game in the series or by the developer is the demo.

Also, yes, people sell more games when reviews aren't published. Had those Colonial Marines reviews come out last week I guarantee there would have been more preorders canceled. There's a reason Hollywood routinely does this.

I don't think your reading comprehension is very good. I said *decent* demo...The idea that a good demo is going to hurt a game's sales is about as intelligent as thinking that a good game review is going to hurt game sales. It's just not true.

Yes, this idiot was indeed speaking about the xBox and I was speaking about the far superior gaming platform--the PC. But I don't even know why someone would discuss game demos on an xBox. I don't own an xBox for gaming, and the crowd that does is already way, way behind in the gaming appreciation department, anyway...;)

The simple truth is that it's ludicrous to say that a good demo of a game--again, emphasis on the word "good" or "decent"--will hurt your sales. That's exactly like saying a good game review will hurt your sales--it is a stupid thought. It's puzzling why you would be so ready to believe it.

Games like CoD etc, do not count because people are already very familiar with these cookie-cutter style games and know exactly what to expect by virtue of having played the earlier games in the series. Talk about Skyrim--people with xBoxen should hardly bother--as the game without mods is 100% a different and inferior game. The way to play Skyrim is not on an xBoxen.

Besides, Skyrim does indeed have a demo of sorts showing actual gameplay. Take a look at the gameplay demo and listen to Bethesda's background narration as they tell what they've done in the game and if you still think that it hurt the game's sales then I feel sorry for you...;)

Skyrim was an exceptionally well-promoted game in advance of its shipping, including demonstrations of actual gameplay, and that is one of the reasons it sold as well as it did from the start--people had a very good idea of what to expect *and they liked it.* But all of this is just common sense. Sure, if you put out a *bad demo* that makes your game appear to be crap--then yea, you can expect it will hurt sales, just like bad game reviews hurt sales. But nobody is talking about *bad* demos, good grief. The assumption is that if a company knows how to make a good game it can make a good demo. Demos are traditional--who buys a car without a demo?--books are constantly promoted by demos by way of sample chapters printed all over the place, movies are constantly demoed and advertised prior to release--nah, the smart money says to create a good demo of your product in advance of its release and you do yourself a big favor. Nobody anywhere is advising the creation of a bad demo that will *hurt* sales--that's just idiotic.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 08:42.

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
25. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 12, 2013, 16:36 WaltC

What he meant to say was:

"If you created a decent demo to highlight your decent game, then you probably sold 2x as many copies as you would have without the demo."

"Seriously, we sold 2x what we would have otherwise?"

"Yup."

The idea that people are going to put ~$50 into a game faster if it has no demo is absurd. What they'll do is bootleg it first to see if they like it and then maybe they'll buy the game later if they do. Only an idiot would think consumers are fooled by the absence of a demo. It's almost like saying, "If your game never gets reviewed you'll sell 2x the number of copies you would have sold with game reviews published." People who think like this are the reason some games don't do as well as they should have. And, demo or review or no, if a game stinks a developer has no right expecting mega sales from it under any conditions. The problem is that people like this think it is possible to "fool" consumers into buying lots and lots of crummy games. They are only fooling themselves.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Q&A
21. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 10:04 WaltC

Verno wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 08:54:
Also the word hater is my candidate for most overused and least understood word of the past year.

I loathe the word "hater"...;) These days you can't simply "dislike" something, or just prefer brand x over brand y, without "hating." Used most by people with small minds, I suppose.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
54. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 20, 2013, 12:12 WaltC

Morga wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 00:44:

Total Annihilation is one of THE BEST real time strategy games in history. A real classic. Chris Taylor is a legend of the games industry.

Well, it's obvious what you think about CT...;) But too many poor choices (like trusting MS to float your boat so you won't have to) through the years are what have created the events leading to this thread. I tried to like TA, I honestly did. Glad you enjoyed it.

Wildman is actually an original and ambitious game where they'll combine best aspects of their previous games, learn from mistakes, and use backer input while producing it.

I read the KS PR notes and watched the videos, too.

I'm not worried about "too short", cause Wildman supports modding so you can make your own game-worlds and game-modes to play for free or sell.

Here's what I imagine: a single-player game long enough and well-written enough to hold my interest for at least 50 hours, and a game that supports mods. That is, if you'd like me to pay $50 for your software. If you want to drop the price to $19.99 as in Torchlight II, I'll go there with you, too, provided the quality is up to Torchlight II standards. I really don't think that is asking too much. I'm hoping this is exactly what GPG does because they'll have a mega-hit on their hands if they do.

News Comments > Chris Taylor on Wildman
2. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 17:57 WaltC

Pretty sure this was covered or linked to in yesterday's GPG story.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
51. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 17:42 WaltC

$1M today to do a full-featured, full-length game is peanuts. If people want to see developing going back to "the garage" then they need to get in behind every effort they see like this that engages their interest. The $45 KS tier still available for this game is absurdly great for the amount of stuff you get for the money. I want to see games reduced in development costs and reduced in price, and supporting this kind of effort is the way to do that. Cutting out the game publisher is a great way to eliminate lots of unnecessary costs.

However, for me, Wildman may not be my first choice--or even in my top ten Kick Starters, regrettably. I was a huge fan of Dungeon Siege (1)--must've played the game through at least three times. Loved it, and especially loved its length--thought it was *right.* (I refuse to spend $40-$50 on a 10-20 hour SP game--I want *at least* 50 hours, and I want an immersive game, too. I'm not easy to please. Can't recall how much time, precisely, I spent playing DS1 through, but it was long enough to satisfy.) Indeed, I still have a modded version of DS1 installed which I fire up from time to time under Win8x64.

Next thing I know Chris Taylor is out there telling the world that their biggest mistake with DS1 was that the game was "too long." "Oh, no", I can remember thinking at the time--"I'm reading GPG's obituary!" Still, when DS2 was released, I bought it anyway--and was disappointed at how far the game design had shrunk back in the other direction--it was short & shallow, and I found it nowhere near as intriguing as DS1. Worse, the game seemed to make no effort to distinguish itself. I was disappointed. I was disappointed with Total Annihilation--such great potential, such poor execution--such an overall disappointment. Same for several other Chris Taylor/GPG game titles I've bought since DS1--well, all of them really. The "less is more" advertising mantra has never worked for me, and probably never will.

I'd like to see GPG and Chris make it. But Wildman honestly looks to me like an idea sketched on the back of a napkin sometime between Christmas 2012 and New Year's day 2013. I wish 'em the best and if and when Wildman ships I might even buy it so long as it isn't another cookie-cutter "half-way" cell-phone game of the kind that seems so popular today. If I never see another such game it will be too soon for me.

Chris: remember what you did *right* with DS1 and strive for that again--"too short" is a far more egregious sin than "too long."

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs
34. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:15 WaltC

Art assets must giganormous and exceptionally varied, meaning we should see very little texture repetition throughout the game...and the heavy use of ram indicates they'll be doing a lot of texture preloading--which is fine by me as I'm in favor of any game that actually makes better use of my eight gigs...;)

One thing that encourages me about this game is that it really has not been overly promoted. Quarterly updates just to keep the game's name in the public venue are fine...it's the games that get splashed in our faces every other day that we have to watch with a great deal of skepticism until shipping day (eg, Diablo3, which I did not buy and never will because of its ridiculous always-on-line requirement made necessary by the game's design--40% client-side, 60% server-side(?) Horrors...What a disappointment that game turned out to be. Torchlight II, otoh, is tons of fun.)

This game has the potential to break like another Skyrim--if the game is just 75% as good as it looks...especially if it is released into a competitive vacuum. Hopefully Irrational has underplayed its cards so far as opposed to overplaying them!

News Comments > Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod
13. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 15:55 WaltC

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:21:
When I play mmos I am always surprised by the fact that the devs do not build the game around that the fact that you are playing with other human beings. Maybe some day an mmo will be designed with this as the key consideration.

Skyrim is a single-player game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2012, 17:09 WaltC

Lord of the Rings. Fabulous. Only thing left out of the movie was Tom Bombadil--who I never thought fit the story in the first place. I doubt Jackson will ever surpass the LoR trilogy. I've thought many times that there's no possible way the story could have been condensed to a single movie and done justice. Jackson managed to capture the soul of Tolkien's epic. What a masterpiece.

Merry Christmas to all! And may I point out how refreshing it is to see a website say "Merry Christmas!" The phrase "Happy Holidays" is fine in conjunction, but to use it in place of "Merry Christmas" seems a blasphemy of the Christmas Spirit(s), and to miss the whole point...;)

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 19:52 WaltC

I think the government is fairly arrogant to declare that the world will not end on Dec 21st...;) I mean, I think the chances are overwhelmingly in favor of the world continuing on past Dec 21st, but should the forces of nature, or the planning of sentients who are far in advance of us fairly primitive earthlings decide otherwise...well, just what can the government do about that? Not a whole lot, I'd say...:D

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 15:28 WaltC

Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:08:
Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:09:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 01:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

Holy cow, that new intro looks horrid. I canít believe they actually thought that was release worthy. Makes me wonder what kind of real enhancements are in this game after watching that travesty.

It's not good, but I do think the original intro (as linked by DrEvil) is worse, even allowing for the era. I can't imagine what process events led to that helmet making it into the shipping product.

I think it pays to remember that BG1 was a 2d game, and the whole game ran on 2d static screens and 2d animations.

This supposedly "enhanced" intro is the most egregious mistake made in this effort that I have so far seen. That's the whole problem, really, in a nutshell. I figured enhanced to mean, "Exactly like the original classic, only better technically," in terms of OS compatibility, resolution and texture use, etc. Adding new content to an enhanced version of an original classic is fine, too, providing two things happen:

1) New content is added to the original as opposed to replacing it
2) No editing of the original content takes place--no chopped lines, substituted lines, etc.

If they start adding new content in addition to selectively removing original content then we have moved from "enhancement" to "editing" and I think that's going to cause them some problems. You like the new intro better than the old one--which I find remarkable. It seems to me your chief objection to the original intro was the guy's helmet--which I agree has always looked dorky...;) Nevertheless, that exact helmet is available in the original game, which is why they used it, imo. Some people have always disliked the way the game itself renders helmets and so a mod was developed that allowed the player to remove all of the helmet animations if desired.

The intro, instead of coming off as "enhanced," comes off as chopped up and amateurishly altered. The guy's face as it appears prior to him being thrown from the roof looks exactly like it was put there through a cut & paste editing job--which it probably was...;) You should carefully watch both new and old intros a couple of times back to back--because if you do I do not see how you can miss that the "enhanced" version runs in choppy fashion (while not choppy itself), whereas the original flows pretty well. I much prefer the original intro.

If this is the way in which they have approached the entire project then I think they are going to have some fairly serious problems to weed through. I think they'd have done much better to attempt a "Remastered" version of the original instead of an "Enhanced" version in which a lot of editing is obvious. It'll be interesting to read some reviews.

News Comments > Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?
45. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 13:34 WaltC

If Intel doesn't want to also remove expansion buses from the equation, too, then this hardly makes sense...;) The only thing surface-mounting the cpu while leaving multiple PCI/e expansion slots open could do for Intel is cost it business. I think someone here has something mixed up--going back to surface-mounted cpus is Back to the Future circa 1988 when the only way to upgrade the cpu was to buy a new motherboard.

If the rumor is true, however, then AMD will get a real shot in the arm--which is but another reason I doubt there's any truth to it.

But I think this kind of rumor serves an excellent purpose in letting people see where Intel would like to take the PC in the absence of any cpu competition. Intel would love to close it down and run every other competitor out of town on a rail. Then we'd all have to pay what Intel wanted to charge for the products Intel preferred to make for its own convenience and profit. Ugh. I'm planning my next AMD purchase even now.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads
26. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:53 WaltC

Draugr wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 15:30:
Which it does, and this doesn't include the new areas and NPCs included in the enhanced edition (which aren't available as mods.)
Hence, you don't know what your talking about.

Pretending that your modded copy of BG is as simple to get up and running as BG:EE is a big joke. I don't mean to imply its a big chore, but for many people they have no interest in going through the motions, even with an installer like tutu doing nearly all the work for them.

I for one certainly am not trying to rain all over Beamdog's parade! I'm very pro game-developer and generally side with the developer on almost everything--but here's what bothers me here:

BG1 is a classic. The game itself was practically a revolution in RPG development at its release. Every few years, like clockwork, some dodo somewhere decides that "The RPG is Dead" and starts writing articles and editorials taking that lame position. You know the Internet--in no time flat sites around the globe mindlessly pick up the link and run with it, or with similar brain-dead notions. It was no different when BG1 was released. Rumor everywhere was that "The RPG is Dead!"--and then there was Baldur's Gate, and the editorial dummies retracted their heads inside their shells & waited for awhile--just to do it all over again. It was no different when Skyrim was released just last year--proving incontrovertibly that the RPG as a game-form is as robust as it has ever been. (A lot of this crap I lay at the feet of the ignominious id software, but that's another story.)

BG1 is a classic, to reiterate. So to ask your question in reverse, why should I pay $20 for what is essentially a BG1 *mod* that adds a few "new areas" and "more NPCs" but does not fundamentally change the game--(which I think is a Good Thing--don't get me wrong)?

I mean, I don't think there's any question whatsoever that the BGII engine, as utilized to run BG1 by the EasyTutu mod, is *the* definitive version of BG1. It greatly improves on the general presentation of the original BG1 by using the BGII engine, yet it leaves the original BG1 classic intact--completely. The EE seeks to leave intact the BG1-engine game presentation--which I think is a mistake--as the BGII engine was designed from the start by the original developers to be an improvement on the BG1 engine in every respect, most especially an improvement in game presentation. I would have much preferred the EE release to go the BGII-engine route, or something similar, in terms of game presentation.

I can still add "new areas" and "more npcs" to my BGII-engine BG1 if I want to by installing what mods may be available to that end already. But if I should decide that I prefer the original game I can simply uninstall the new areas and npcs and I am once again back to the classic BG1 game.

Should I decide that Beamdog's EE of BG1 spoils the game by way of its "new areas and npcs"--can I then return BG1 to its original state? That's my real concern. I'm guessing not, but I really don't know. Perhaps Beamdog has made this possible via an installation option?

And last, btw, EasyTutu really is exceptionally easy to use and install,...;) No need to be afraid of using it on that account. But who knows, I may yet buy the EE from Beamdog! I'll wait for some reviews first, however.

24. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:12 WaltC

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:56:
When it's 75% off on Steam, please let me know. In the meantime I picked this up earlier this year for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JQ064A

This is probably a word to the wise, and I don't think even applies to the original BG1, anyway...but just in case you aren't aware of it--as I wasn't initially--when Amazon game descriptions say "Win7 compatible" in the description, what they are usually always talking about with much older games is "Win 7 x86" compatible, because these are 16-bit Windows games that will run fine on Win7 x86 but *won't run at all--won't even install* on Win7 x64 systems.

I kicked myself after it happened to me--I should have known better--but I ordered a couple of old games from Amazon like this for my wife that were supposed to be "Win 7 compatible"--but of course were completely incompatible with Win7 x64. I could have installed Win7 x86 for my wife so that she could run the games, but I really did not feel like rebuilding her entire system just to do that. Besides, < than 64-bit OSes are retrograde these days.

Like I say--you probably already know this so this isn't directed at you--but it's for the folks who even with a lot of knowledge and experience have the occasional brain fart and *simply forget* that a 32-bit edition of Win7 ever existed--people like me...;)

Beamdog's situation surely overcomes this major limitation and can be recommended on that score, and would certainly, I think, be vastly superior to an original copy of BG1, even one running under Win7x64 (because IIRC it won't run well even when you get it running under x64.)

However, I still recommend buying the games from Gog and using EasyTutu for a total of $10 invested for personal computers running Vista/Win7/8 x64. BG1 is just much better delivered by the BGII engine, imo.

As another poster reminded me, the Beamdog game is attractive to people running and enjoying hand-held devices--not only that, but for them the game is cheaper, too, ($10 vs. $20.) It's a bit ironic, as the raw computational power of handhelds today is roughly analogous to the state of personal computers fifteen years ago, so in some respects that's an interesting match. Sort of...;)

17. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:45 WaltC

Sho wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:08:
There's more modding than that you need to do. On Vista and newer, the Infinity engine runs like shit and displays graphical glitches on nVidia systems, so you need that dubious zip with the hacked-up DirectX DLLs to fix the accel. Then there is the mod to run the BG1 content on the BG2 engine to enjoy its improvements. And fixpacks. It's my understanding the EE is a superset of all these things done properly (e.g. fixing the nVidia issue on the engine level and recoding the glitchy fog of war, which indeed also looks generally nicer in the trailer) plus more, like some cleaned-up assets. Seems like a decent deal and a time-saver to me.

What I am most excited about is the Android port though. I never would have expected it - never had an interest in handhelds - but since playing the Broken Sword DC and Machinarium on my Android tablet I have realized I really enjoy some bedtime-gaming on these things. If they pull off a good touch UI I will be so all over this ...

Using EasyTutu to play BG1 using the BGII engine (and under Win7/8 x64, I might add) greatly improves on the BG1 experience, imo. And, as the name implies, EasyTutu is *very* easy to use and install. The BGII engine is just so much better than the original BG engine. One of the main improvements that is immediately noticeable is that the BGII engine greatly expands the size of the game-play area onscreen. It eliminates those gigantic text areas (containing tiny little bits of text) that the BG1 engine is known for...;) No strikes against the BG1 engine, though--that sort of thing was necessary at the time BG1 shipped because the gpu horsepower needed for larger game-play screen square footage just wasn't available.

I appreciate what Beamdog is doing, but they'll need to sell me on why I shouldn't just use EasyTutu (or buy BG1 &2 from Gog for $10 and then use EasyTutu, if I don't already own the BG1 & 2 titles.) So far, I haven't been sold. BG1 EasyTutu, along with a few free-of-charge mods, is a pretty darn nice BG1 experience...;)

15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:17 WaltC

Question is, how will it stand up to Easy Tutu (Balder's Gate 1 with the BG II engine, for those not in the know)?

IMO, at the moment, Widescreen EasyTutu BG 1 is the one to beat.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 WaltC

That is exactly what my doctor told me about twenty years ago--before I quit smoking 17 years ago--he said, "You've got the metabolism of a high-altitude runner," which I thought was pretty good until he explained it...;) My blood was carrying an over abundance of hemoglobin--the stuff that carries oxygen--very much like a high-altitude runner's blood would produce. But in my case, the extra hemoglobin was there as my body's way of combating all the noxious fumes I was putting into my blood via cigarette smoke.

I don't get a sense from you that you ever smoked, so our cases are much different...;) Still, you might want to ask your doctor what he means because if as in my case he's talking about an overabundance of hemoglobin in your blood and you do not smoke, then it's possible there is something else in your immediate environment that is causing you to produce more than an an average amount of hemoglobin. Then, too, I wonder if perhaps you live at a somewhat high altitude to begin with--say, in a mountainous region?

516 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo