Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > LOTRO Revenue Doubles
44. Re: LOTRO Revenue Doubles Oct 8, 2010, 21:33 WaltC

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 13:18:
In fairness, everything every company every does is greed-driven...

You mean the desire to make a living and be able to eat and feed your family? You'd call that "greed"?

Only thing I have to say to that is if you can find a nation without corporations it will also be without computer games. I mean, check out Cuba and get back to me about all of the marvelous computer games the Castro brothers are putting out these days.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LOTRO Revenue Doubles
43. Re: LOTRO Revenue Doubles Oct 8, 2010, 21:23 WaltC

TheWhistlingPig wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 12:20:
I had a friend who got banned for 30 days a few minutes after she received purchased gold. They're watching gold traffic seriously, looks like. (This happened before F2P, too.)

If you can't cut the supply, annihilate the demand.

What sort of an idiot would spend real money to buy fake, in-game gold? That has to be the nuttiest thing I've ever heard...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Quote of the Day
22. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 6, 2010, 09:45 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 23:29:
Far too many people in power and positions of authority have a headful of bad wiring. I'd like to see the day when it's mandatory for CEOs, top execs, generals, police chiefs, et al. all have to submit to mandatory psych evaluations initially then every few years, so long as they remain in a position of authority. It would make for a vastly different world.

But then you'd have to worry about who is going to be giving the psychologists psych evals because then they'd be in authority and they'd be the ones developing the bad cranial wiring...;) It's the old story, "Who watches the watchers?"

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer
11. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Sep 24, 2010, 08:03 WaltC

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 23:31:
Hrm, that looks inordinately awesome. I need to get around to finishing the first Witcher still, the combat in the first game just got too boring after awhile.

Also, yeah, what exactly is up with the huge delay translating the novels? They were written(original polish) like 15 years ago. Come on, whoever is in charge of that!

PS. Novels > The Witcher 1, discuss.

Works are generally translated because of demand. My guess is that there was no English demand for the Geralt books prior to the publication of the game.

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
18. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jun 24, 2010, 11:39 WaltC

ASeven wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 10:43:
I wonder. First Microsoft came with a kind of support for the PC, then Activision through Kotick said that 70% of their profits comes from non-consoles, now this.

You only hear the opposite from the companies who put 70% of their development efforts into console games...;)

Has the world gone mad? Are publishers and devs suddenly giving some sort of support for the PC? What is going on??

Hopefully you are aware that worldwide annual personal computer sales are estimated to top out this year at >300M machines, and that number is growing, not declining. Sales of computers year in and year out dwarf console sales. Also, it's a fact of life that today's console tech is yesterday's warmed over computer tech--whether it's the Wii, the P2/3 or the xBox360, or the iPhone/iPad--whatever it is that might be even loosely be construed to be a console gaming platform of some kind--the PC market is not only far more advanced, but the console market actually gets the tech it has from yesterday's PC market standards. In the personal computer market we are already at the DX11 level, for instance, whereas the PS3 isn't of course and the xBox 360 is strictly a much older chip from ATi which is frozen at the DX9 level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29

It's not just the graphics capabilities (which certainly includes display resolutions) and the control interfaces that are so much better on a PC, but it's also everything else, such as amount and type and speed of ram, HD space, the ability to upgrade and add lots of peripherals, and so on. Plus, PCs can do a whole lot more than just run games, which makes the case for ever buying and owning a console strictly an economic decision that is made because the console is by comparison cheap. But in the long run, consoles are no bargains at all--the cost of the games you buy is more than the price of their counterpart PC releases, consoles are nowhere near as useful, and the game versions they support are not up to the standards of what is possible on a PC--never mind the fact that upgrading them is difficult if it is possible at all.

While it is true that some games released for the PC are just ports from console games, the really big titles, such as Dragon Age and many others, are developed first for the PC and only later, if at all, ported to consoles, with changes made to them to allow them to run on a console's inferior hardware.

A final note about that: most of the companies who have made consoles their main target platforms have complained that their ports of those games to the PC don't do that well. Not surprising at all, since the quality of such ports is usually far below the standards that PC customers expect for the games that they buy. OTOH, title games developed for the PC's much greater hardware resource environments generally do extremely well in the PC marketplace. People really have a hard time understanding that the PC marketplace is *the engine* that drives the console markets, for some reason.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2010, 07:24 WaltC

3D glasses handed out at the movie theater was a fad that originated in the late 1950's and early 1960's, and it was as gimmicky then as it is now. Computer games, in case some people have forgotten, have been done in "3d" since the the mid 90's--the kind of 3d that doesn't require red & blue lens glasses or even two good eyes to perceive. The new, gimmicky fad called "3d," that requires the special glasses, is as old as the hills and twice as dusty.

It's really weird how with each new generation of consumers, consumers too young to know what transpired in the past, all these really old fads are taken out of the closet, dusted off, and re-marketed to the unsuspecting new generation--who think this very old tech is actually something new.

Yes, even in the 50's and 60's, the red & blue lens glasses handed out for movies done in stereoscopy was called "3d." It was a short-lived fad way back then for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that only people with two good peepers could use the glasses (people with poor/no vision in one eye, for instance, got nothing but a terribly blurred, badly tinted red or blue image from such presentations, depending on which of their eyes was the "good" one), even the lightweight but very flimsy glasses turned out to be a cumbersome nuisance during the movie, and, most of all, the 3d-glasses craze back then faded into obscurity originally because the effects really weren't "3d" at all, but rather were very cheesy in their presentation--much like the old parallax scrolling we saw so much of back in the late 80's and early 90's when all computer games were done in 2d (before 3dfx made 3d gaming popular with the Voodoo 1 3d card.)

The technical name for this effect is "stereoscopy." Believe it or not, this a approach to simulated 3d was invented in 1838!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy

News Comments > Gothic 3 Community Patch
14. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Jun 14, 2010, 12:37 WaltC

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 08:30:

I'm having a rather hard time reading stuff like this. I interpret it as if you're stating it as fact that Gothic 3 was crap.

If this was the case than how on earth is it possible that I, a RPG gamer at heart, found extreme joy playing Gothic 3 for weeks on end? The game obsorbed me with its great environments, exploration and the sense that what you did mattered. Also the fact that you started out rather weak and ended up punishing all the bastards being smart-asses to you in the past, then waiting for them to get back up from the ground to hear them being humiliated, never got old.

Any real RPG'er has patience in abundance, and enjoys delving into the details as much as playing the game itself. Some people are just not cut out to play RPGs, and the sad thing about is they just don't know it...;)

As for the guy who said he tried G3 some time ago and it was a slide show... that's not Gothic 3. That's your ancient PC. However granted that the game wasn't very optimized, it ran great on my old PC (I now have a 2010 gig).

Actually, I remember what he was talking about--the original release of the game had a sort of slide-show problem when first launched. Most sensible people, however, would immediately find the Gothic3 forums and from there could have solved the problem easily--IIRC, it was a problem relative to the original G3 fonts in the game, and the fix took all of about ten seconds. Something's not right when someone buys a game and then just quits it at the first sign of a problem without even attempting to solve it--usually, it's the people who didn't buy a game but procured it without paying for it that will quit a game so quickly. Easy come, easy go, and that sort of thing.

News Comments > More Valve Mac Clues
8. Re: More Valve Mac Clues Mar 3, 2010, 19:12 WaltC

Really, the concept is sort of bizarre as OS X now includes a standard utility that allows any Mac user to install Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) and run it natively on a Mac--it's called Bootcamp. Since today's Macs literally are standard Intel "PCs" running an x86 version of OS X, running Windows 7 on today's Mac is a perfectly normal expectation and event. It's ironic to think that for today's x86 Macs Windows is actually a whole hell of a lot more compatible than Apple's Classic PPC OS of yesterday--which probably won't run on an x86 Mac at all, except *maybe* through a VM, and then not very well at all.

Anybody who has bought an x86 Mac in the last few of *years* can install Windows and run it natively, already, and so Steam is already available to them. Seems like somewhat of a waste of time and resources for Valve to develop for OS X since because Apple has tied OS X exclusively to Mac hardware the OS X market is always going to be teeny-tiny compared to the Windows market, a market which serves the open international x86 hardware markets--and Windows is as much at home on today's Mac as is OS X.

The minute that Apple transitioned the Mac to Intel x86 the "difference" between a "mac" and a "pc" simply ceased to be from a hardware perspective. That's what makes Apple's continuing "I'm a Mac--He's a PC" ads so silly--because they are *all* "PCs" now...;) The major only hardware difference between "Macs" and "PCs'" these days
is that Macs are restricted to Intel cpus and core logic, whereas all other PC makers can offer you your choice of Intel or AMD cpus and core logic hardware.

News Comments > On Duke Nukem's Future
38. Re: On Duke Nukem's Future Dec 27, 2009, 12:01 WaltC

All I can say is that these guys have made a good living for a long time on a few pieces of released software--a statement of fact that sure puts the lie to all the talk about "software piracy" and its effect on game developers and publishers...;)

News Comments > Legal Briefs
4. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 24, 2009, 16:56 WaltC

AnarKane wrote on Dec 24, 2009, 14:42:
They settled now because they would have lost at least 10x that amount had it gone to trial. Unless, of course, they managed to buy off the judge.

Heh...;) 'Fraid not...;) They settled because if they had gone to court and *won* it would have cost them more than the settlement amount of $16M--the great majority of which went to the *lawyers* filing the suit--which is the only reason they filed it, of course. Guess what these attorneys are preparing to give away to each "member" of the "class" they pretended to represent? A *maximum* of $16 each--yes, that's *sixteen dollars* each. The lawyers will get the rest of it--millions of dollars. Technological class-action suits like these stink to high heaven and always have. IMO, they ought to be illegal altogether.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 19, 2009, 09:48 WaltC

Have to agree that complaining about a browser's "safety" because of vulnerabilities that are found in 3rd-party add-ons that aren't even a part of the official browser release, or written by the people who wrote the browser code, is lame. Much better to entitle an article: "Use 3rd-party browser add-ons at your own risk! Here's why..."

News Comments > New ATI Reference Drivers
10. Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 18, 2009, 11:05 WaltC

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78815

No problem - just change it back and.....WHAM 80% of my resolutions are now running in letterbox. It's like a full resoltuion (1900x1200) signal is being sent to the monitor, but the desktop is only displaying at the corresponding pixel count (black borders on all four sides, depending on the resolution selected.) You can manually fix your desktop resolution, but CCC won't save changes to non-selected resolutions.

These current drivers still make some mention of the issue (which is scary,) but any manually set resolutions would disappear. I'll find out this weekend if everything is fixed, but.......fail, total fail, by ATI.
Seriously, can ATI not bother to fix the 2D/3D bug???
Edit: Yes, obviously, I have the correct monitor driver.

Tired of ATI,
Ray

Hmmmm....I'm using a 20" LCD (1600x1200 native)with one ATi card, and a 27.5" LCD (1920x1200) with a pair of 4850's in Xfire, and I've never experienced anything remotely similar to the problem you describe--ever.

You don't mention what type of monitor you're using, what sort of refresh rates you are forcing, and what type of connection you're using running from your card to the monitor, and whether or not you are using standard pixel resolutions or trying to force HD resolutions. Without knowning any of those things you're problem is impossible to diagnose, as any incorrect setup for any of those factors could and would cause what you are experiencing.

One thing--if you are using and LCD with an HDMI cable, you *must* use the included ATi HDMI adaptor or you'll get all kinds of funky output. I also don't bother with the so-called "HD" resolution settings in the CATs and use only the normal pixel resolution settings--and I've never had a problem with 1920x1200 native running full screen perfectly.

I can't even attempt a diagnosis of your problems with the info you've listed, but it sure sounds like an incorrect configuration of *some kind* between your 3d-card and your monitor. As far as such things being problematic in the drivers themselves--I've never had this problem over a span of years, different monitors, different ATi cards, and every single Catalyst driver set ATi has released since ATi started calling them "Catalysts"...;)

Good luck!

News Comments > New ATI Reference Drivers
9. Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 18, 2009, 10:49 WaltC

Under still known issues:

Adobe Flash player 10.1 Prerelease: dropped frames and browser lag may be noticed when playing multiple instances of Youtube clips with hardware 
acceleration enabled 

Hmmmm I saw some dropped frames while simultaneously copying stuff to a USB stick yesterday, wonder if it's related.

Could be--player 10.1 is still in beta at the present time.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
27. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Dec 7, 2009, 21:43 WaltC

And yet NO, repeat, *NO* fix for the memory leak, load time, framerate issues.
Huh? Load times for me have always been very fast and I haven't had any framerate or memory leak issues (even before upgrading my graphics card). You're speaking as if this is a widespread problem but this is the first I've heard of it and I've got quite a lot of friends playing this at the moment.

Several people playing the game have reported a slowdown after playing the game for a period. I played for five hours the other day and had no slowdowns, so who knows? Game has always loaded and saved fast, even after five hours, and no framerate issues, either.

My main beef with the game is the fact that the fonts aren't scalable--I could play at 1920x1200, but the fonts are just too small for me to read at that resolution even on my 28" LCD, so I have to play at 1600x1200, where the fonts are at least readable, although I often have to squint. I'm not sure how this oversight got by them, but it's a big deal, and I'm not sure they can correct it--or at least that they'll be willing to do what it takes to correct it. Great game, though, otherwise.

Edit: OK, this is weird. I installed the patch and then booted the game, thought I'd try 1920x1200 again--and the fonts seem as easy to read as they did at 1600x1200! There's no mention of a font fix in the patch notes, so now I'm wondering if I'm seeing things...;) Anyway, fonts seem fine now. Odd.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 21:58.

News Comments > US PC Game Retail Sales Sag
25. Re: US PC Game Sales Sag Dec 3, 2009, 11:09 WaltC

Bad as you think it is now, it was a hell of a lot worse in the mid-90s, where it was routine to spend close to $1000 for an entry-level PC that had no chance of running at least a third of the software in the same store where that PC was sold. If the big problem now boils down to whether a prebuilt system has (or can be upgraded with) a $50 discrete video card that greatly enhances generalized capabilities and allows newer games to at least creak by, that's relatively easy to fix.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder where I was during the "good ol' days" everyone seems to remember fondly. Nostalgia is really just a nicer word for "delusion" in most cases.

For starters, what we call "3d gaming" actually only got started in the mid 90's, and in the beginning if you didn't own a 3dfx Voodoo 1 slapped into a PCI slot on your x86 motherboard--you weren't going to do any 3d gaming, period. Needless to say, 3d games themselves were only coming out in drips at the time--as there was no D3d--GLIDE was king, along with 3dfx, in those days. I had an extensive GLIDE library of games--and had a great time with them.

Really, as far as computer gaming goes, if you wanted to game then buying an x86 DOS/Windows machine prior to 1995 was absolutely *not* the way to go...;) 2d games were king and had been king since the '80's, and a $750 Commodore Amiga 500 (including a $300 monitor) was *the* way to game prior to the advent of 3d and the rise of D3d as an API. You got stereo sound built in, up to 4,096 colors on screen (although most Amiga games then were done in 32 colors or less, this was still far better than the 4-color CGA and the 16-color EGA with a beeping speaker that MS-DOS x86 clones of the day offered), and you were running a GUI OS that also preemptively multitasked at the time (when x86 was a single-tasking, MS-DOS/Win3.1 oaf for years afterwards.)

The "good old days" are always remembered fondly because in those days computer gaming was new and few people played computer games. Games were often produced by one person and were a fair bit more original and interesting than the cookie-cutter games of today. Hardware cost much more than it does today because the industry itself was new, and economies of scale were still a long way off.

For contrast, I remember that in 1990 the total world wide sales of personal computers was on the order of 6 million a year, and the Amiga was 1 million of those a year at its peak. By 2000 the annual total had reached ~100,000,000 or so and the Amiga was history, and today > 200,000,000 personal computers are sold each year. While we enjoy much improved hardware and software, and at much lower prices chiefly because of these economies of scale, the industry has become so commercialized and "cookie cutter" that a lot of the original thrill of "being on the edge" in those days is just gone. Few original games are developed these days, and the idea of a 1-man development team is laughable. Still, now is better, of course--but I'll always cherish my memories of the "good old days" before everything homogenized around today's cookie-cutter mentality.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: Game Reviews Nov 26, 2009, 08:20 WaltC

Do you get extra skill points for persecuting Jews and Muslims, ousting homosexuals, setting fire to heathens, and censoring intellectuals?

Nah, from what I hear, top point awards there go to Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Zedong, and Muslim extremists who enjoy lopping off Christian heads on television, or murdering their children for the sin of dating Christians. Christians mainly earn points by being either crucified or thrown into the lion's den by the Romans, and obeying God. I also hear that in the game it's possible to be a pseudo-Christian, that is, someone who "sets fire to heathens" while pretending to practice Christianity. There's a great scene in the game where the pseudo-Christians are sent to spend eternity in the same place as Hitler, Stalin, and Mao, and of course the ever-lovable murdering Muslims...;)

On a serious note, it seems to me the world offers far more ugliness outside of Christianity than within it.

News Comments > Safety Dance
7. Re: Safety Dance Nov 22, 2009, 10:37 WaltC

I assume you also know that even one sufficiently sized volcanic eruption can pump more CO2 into the atmosphere in a period of weeks than man has added in the last century...;) You probably also know that all air-breathing life on earth, including man and all of the animal kingdom, exhale C02 into the atmosphere. Hopefully, you also know that trees, for instance, "inhale" CO2 and "exhale" oxygen. The fact is that far from being a pollutant, CO2 is essential for life on planet Earth--it is just as essential for life as oxygen.

The reason people correctly talk about "the sun" having a dramatic role in any climate changes that occur on earth is because long before there were any people walking around and adding their CO2 to the atmosphere, we know that the Earth has experienced several periods of both ice age and global warming in the past. Hence, you should now know that man is just not required in the scheme of things in order for global climate change to occur.

In fact, since the last ice age, the entire history of mankind has occurred during a period of global warming--that has been occurring naturally long before the first man designed the first engine that added CO2 to the atmosphere. Basically, man's entire effect on the global environment in terms of climate change is akin to a gnat buzzing annoyingly around an elephant's ear, and has about the same effect on the global climate.

Last, surely you might also know that we've got really about 40-50 years of decent meteorological data--and by decent I mean by way of satellites, infrared, and computerized, global compilation. Prior to that, even, the reliability of the data is without a doubt questionable, both in terms of its accuracy and in terms of its presenting a complete picture of our global climate.

Pretty much, this is all 8th-grade level science. Yet, we see how quickly it can be forgotten in the mindless hysteria generated by "global warming" proponents who today have only one goal in mind--and that is to enrich themselves. I guess we haven't moved that far from the Salem witch trials at all, sad to say--we're still a very excitable and superstitious lot.

News Comments > DirectX 11 for Vista Released
17. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 09:46 WaltC

The API is supposed to be backwards compatible with standing architecture, either by emulation or by direct operation. Meaning that if you have DX10 installed, anything written in DX9 to DX3 should work 'out of the box'. That was the point behind having the DX unified architecture in the first place.

If it's not doing that, there's something wrong. Very wrong, either in the drivers(video/audio/whatever) or the API itself. It really sounds like someone screwed the pooch on the API releases.

Correct--which is why my DX9 graphics card ran all of my DX9 games without a problem when I first upgraded to Vista running DX10.

But all of this talk about "DX9" mystifies me. I updated with this file this morning and saw nothing anywhere that mentions DX9. Rather, what this patch does is to bring Vista up to the level of Win7 in terms of the DX API--DX11. It also brings 2d hardware acceleration to Vista--which under DX10 Vista did not have. That's it as far as I can see.

Just for fun the other day I installed Legend's Wheel of Time, a game that shipped in 1999, into my DX10.1 Vista installation running on my 4850 Crossfires--and without any software modification the game ran wonderfully well for me--better I think than it originally ran when I bought it. Which proves your point pretty well...;) There's a lot of confusion on this issue.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. PC World is truly what's sorry... Oct 21, 2009, 22:48 WaltC

The sorry state of PC World is immeasurably sorrier than Windows gaming, sad to say. This guy has the ignorant audacity to try and pass off this self-absorbed drivel as a "blog." Blog? It's a bog--a quagmire of meaningless, infantile rhetoric, to which, thankfully, very few will be listening.

When I finished reading all I could stomach of this nonsense, I reflected once again that there's just nothing worse than reading the inane babbling of a n00b who is trying to pass himself off as a technocrat. You know, it really seems to me that *everybody* on that sorry PC World staff is literally a closet Mac junkie who hasn't grown out of the really retarded and childish habit of hating Microsoft just because it isn't Apple. What really makes PC World so disgusting is the fact that even though they aren't fooling a soul they don't seem aware of the fact that it's just so easy to see right through the superficial, often witless criticism that doubtless they consider to be representative of some kind of technical sophistication.

I mean, come on, the guy is so incredibly clueless about "Windows 7 gaming" that he thinks the "Games for Windows" logo denotes the only games that will run on Windows? How could anybody who professes to use PC's regularly ever make such a dumb mistake? Only a closet Mac fanatic might ever make such silly, stupid, and willful errors.

But PC World has been writing this kind of garbage for a long time now, and it has long been obvious that the PC World staff is made up of Mac zealots who think they are "helping Apple" every time they write something really stupid about Microsoft. Don't they know that because they are so transparent they are actually doing far more to hurt Apple and the Mac than they are doing to hurt Microsoft? I guess not, since they keep doing it over, and over, and over again, just like the Energizer bunny. Ah, just when I think I've seen it all--PC World strikes again with another critical article that reads like it was penned by a six-year-old. Don't these guys ever tire of not just being obviously wrong--but being stupid, to boot? Bottom line is that anyone who has any experience with "PC's" just isn't going to bother with PC World. If they renamed the rag to "Wayne's World" it might sell more copies.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 10, 2009, 08:51 WaltC

There's nothing silly about it - read it again. Doesn't say anything about requiring a DX10 card, it simply says that you need a DX10 card to run anything DX10. DX11 will run with DX9 or DX10 hardware (apparently). So yeah, they did "learn a lesson", that being that if someone makes a DX11 game, they don't require new hardware for it to be played.

Ahhhhh...now, if only you had paid as much attention to my original comment you might've understood that for 18 months I was running Vista with a DX9 card...;) OK, to rehash, Vista only ships with DX10. Say it after me...you can already run DX10 on a DX9 card...!

Let's go back to XP and DX9. Did you also know that DX9 supports DX8/7/6 and even as far back as DX5 3d software? Yet, with my DX10 hardware I can run all of that software just fine.

D3d has *always* been very highly backwards-compatible.

So what's the difference between DX5 and DX11, for instance? It's 3d feature support. DX11 supports most everything DX5 supported, but adds support for DX6/7/8/9/10/11. If you run DX11 with a DX9 card, just as now you can run DX10 with a DX9 card (or DX9 with a DX8.1 card, etc.), you will get support for only those features your hardware supports.

In other words, you can run DX11 with a DX10 card, just as now you can run DX10 with a DX9 card, but in niether instance will what what you see on the screen be a full DX11/DX10 implementation--since to get full DX10 & DX11 support you will need a DX11 card. This is the same as it has always been--it's surprising to see people so confused about it.

Just to rehash, when the author said:

This doesn't mean that all of DX11's features run on a DX11 card, but what it does mean is that it doesn't exclude older hardware and, in so doing, rate it a second-class citizen.

...it's obvious he hasn't a clue. If you have a "DX11 card" that doesn't support "all of DX11's features" then you do not in fact have a "DX11 card" to start with...;) You've got either a DX10 card or a DX9, or lower DX-version card.

Just to clarify: when we state "DX9 card," that automatically means we're talking about a card that supports all of DX9's feature set, at the very least.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2009, 09:03.

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo