Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 417 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
86. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 14:24 WaltC

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 00:39:
John Carmack doesn't shop at Wal-Mart. I can't believe some people are actually offended by this news.

I thought that was a pretty amusing comment...;) I think it is faulty, though, because John C. probably prefers to shop at WalMart because not only can he usually save an extra 10%-15%, but it is very doubtful anyone at WalMart might ever recognize him.

Reading further into this really funny thread, I see even Blue got roped in here. But it's given me an idea for the next Max Payne game intro:

"I thought it might take a cold day in Hell before we were right, but I was wrong. We're all whores--all of us. Me, Blue, Carmack, Cutter, Fredrickson, and WaltC--all whores, every one of us. Nobody is listening anymore because they can't hear us. Or they won't. And who can blame the poor slobs? Hell, we own it. All of us. Every one of us. Whores. It's too horrible for words. And then I got to thinking about that after I'd downed my last rancid bottle of year-old scotch, what if..."

What'ya think? Eh? I think it has lots of potential.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Translations Value Estimate
40. Re: Steam Translations Value Estimate Sep 26, 2011, 08:33 WaltC

This article is so lame. I'll bet the author is one of those people who think that "open source" software is "terrific" because [they thinks] it is created by unpaid volunteers...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
13. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:09 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:58:
WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:53:

Really? I just yanked out my 5850 to put it in my new box, and put my old 8800GT back in my current one, and games look pretty much the same to me. (other than the fact that ATI has always had better IQ than Nvidia.)

How are these things magically getting better if you've already got the settings maxed out?

Creston

Magically? I don't think there's anything "magical" about the fact that a new DX-11 class gpu renders better IQ than a practically ancient DX9-class gpu. All I can tell you is that the difference was stark to my eyes. Maybe you don't see so well...or maybe it's a difference in monitors...I don't know. But *my* 8800GT is retired, permanently...;) That's all I can tell you.

I mean, there are people who swear to me that the IQ from their old 21" CRT's is better than current LCDs with higher resolution. In all seriousness, the only way I can explain that is to conclude that they are nearly blind...;)

11. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:59 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:52:
necrosis wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:17:
So why do PC versions come out months after their console counterparts again?

Because idiot publishers believe that that will somehow magically lessen piracy.

Creston

Yea, the sentiment about that is crazy...;) I mean, all you have to do is Google or Bing "copying xbox 360 disks" and you'll see pages of "how to's"...;) I was surprised, actually, by how rampant the practice of bootlegging console gaming DVDs apparently is--you'd think it was non-existent listening to some folks.

9. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:53 WaltC

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:30:
Well that and the fact that this is mostly WoW expansion and Facebook games.

I'm honestly quite surprised that NV/ATI are weathering this economic climate, given the fact that 5-year-old 8xxx series hardware still runs most modern games admirably well. I'm still running a pair of 8800GTX's in SLI on my current rig, and I can play *anything* maxxed out in HD resolution.

All I lose out on is tessilation (Oooooo...)

^D^

Heh...;) Keep telling yourself that...;) Or, do what I did and replace your aging 8800GTs with a single inexpensive AMD HD 5770 or 6770--and get ready for some vastly improved graphics. And I don't mean DX11 vs DX9--I'm talking vastly improved DX9 game displays. Until you yank those old ponies out and replace them with something current you simply won't be able to imagine let alone appreciate the difference that will greet you eyes the very first time you game. I was amazed, frankly. Now I am assuming that your current monitor isn't as old hat as your gpus--'cause if you are still doing CRT or you are looking at a 5-year-old LCD display, then I might not bother. Ugh...;) Seriously guy, you are missing a lot, no kidding.

6. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:41 WaltC

I think nVidia is dead on target with these observations. It's difficult to understand why anyone would want to buy a console these days. 15 years ago when a decent PC cost ~$3,000 you could understand why people might want a console for $300. Today, though--there's so much more bang for the buck in a PC that consoles simply no longer are persuasive economically. Buy a console and get the short end of the stick, no doubt about it--grossly underpowered, and often games are overpriced.  

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
47. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 6, 2011, 09:45 WaltC

Surprised it hasn't been brought up, but with the notable exception of Germany, everywhere else in the EU unemployment hovers at ~10%. In the US it's at ~9%, and in the US everyone is freaking over such a high unemployment rate. Traditionally the US hovers at around a ~7% unemployment rate, which is considered "full" employment.

I will have to say, though, that the EU approach to unemployment seems much more civilized than it is in the US. In many states in the US, if a company fires a worker all it has to do is to maintain that the employee "broke a rule" or that somehow it was "the employee's fault" and that employee, even if employeed for decades by the same company--and regardless of current employment conditions elsewhere--is denied unemployment compensation of any kind! There's an appeals process, but mostly it is a joke--I've never heard of a company's decision being overturned on appeal. If they say you screwed up--doesn't matter how minor the infraction may be--you're left with nothing except your resume. I actually knew of a woman employed by the same company for 20 years who was fired and got $0 unemployment compensation in the interim while looking for a new job. I wonder how the EU handles unemployment. Companies in the US have to pay 50% of whatever unemployment award is made to an employee, which is why they have such a say so in the process.

News Comments > Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month?
30. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 12:21 WaltC

Luke wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 09:55:
Ahh 3dfx now THAT was a upgrade back then

Yea--I still miss 'em. The company added a lot of color to the market and today we owe the existence of hardware FSAA to 3dfx (the V5 5.5k being the first product to support FSAA in hardware and GLIDE 3.x being the first Windows 3d API to support FSAA), among many other things. If FSAA had been left up to nVidia--I'm not entirely sure that even today, a decade later, that we'd have it! nVidia fought FSAA tooth & nail, but only for so long as it took them to develop a GPU of their own that would support it properly 3dfx was a gas!...;)

News Comments > Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month?
25. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 09:36 WaltC

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 03:27:
Well as with all opinions to all my subjective statements you could add at the end something like "imo"

And people didn't just bash D2 for its graphics but for its even at the time horridly outdated engine, i mean they offered Glide support, in 2000! At that time 3dfx didn't even make cards that supported glide anymore, and indeed stopped existing proper.

And D3D and OpenGL support was substandard (only later patches fixed that to some extend)

If D3 looks aged today its not a good sign imo.

Your memory is a little off...;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx
3dfx didn't expire until 2002, actually. Back in 2000, Glide was still a very widespread API--At that time I had an extensive GLIDE games library--as did anyone who had started gaming in '96-97 with the Voodoo1--the first 3d card that allowed 3d-game play at a frame rate that wasn't a slide show. D3D (DX) did not actually catch up to the functionality GLIDE offered until DX7.x, or so. It was around 2000-2001 that 3dfx announced it was ending GLIDE support and moving everything to D3D. Shortly after that, because of bad management mistakes relating to 3dfx's purchase of the STB factory in Mexico, the end came upon them and the giant amoeba nVidia swallowed 3dfx whole in a single bite, leaving naught but 3dfx's bleached bones glinting in the sun ...;)

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun DLC Next Month
7. Re: Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun DLC Next Month Sep 1, 2011, 16:16 WaltC

PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 15:59:
I ignored DS2 until two years later when I got it on sale... then I played through it like three times in a week. It was an improvement over DS in virtually every way, and was damn fun.

Heh...do tell!...;) I loathed DS2, as I said. Of course, the kind of game I like is not amenable to being played through three times in a single week...;) I guess we just have much different tastes.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun DLC Next Month
5. Re: Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun DLC Next Month Sep 1, 2011, 15:47 WaltC

I loved the first, original Dungeon Siege. I think I played the game through at least three times. It had a decent story behind it and the game always had story-centric goals to progress through--I recall it as a truly great game, actually--epic in scope. Plenty of l-e-n-g-t-h, but nothing gratuitous that I can recall. The game was a retail and critical success and put Gas Powered Games on the map.

And so-o-o-o-o-o-ooooo....Chris Taylor, of Gas Powered Games, developing under Microsoft as publisher for DS, made the brilliant decision to strip out everything in DS that made the game great and turn DS2 into a much "shorter" game that was more of a mindless combat click fest than story--and ruined the franchise, imo. DS2 sucked--I bought it and was very disappointed. It was the first time I had ever heard a developer of what was essentially a single-player game like DS make the comment that his game was "too long" and that the next one would be "a lot shorter." What a way to kill a game--never seen anything quite like that since! Although some developers are of the opinion that "people want shorter games" today--rarely if ever have I seen a developer ruin a brilliant franchise that started with so many great things in its favor like DS.

I downloaded the DSIII demo--and found it to be lackluster in the extreme. What the hell was wrong with the story and characters and world introduced so successfully in DS? It just boggles the mind how a developer could get so many things right with a game (DS) and then blow it for the life of the franchise (DS2&3.) I mean, just look at the crap they list above as an improvement: "More monsters/More items"--as if DS3 players were nothing more than click-fest idiots. How about *more story*!??? Sheesh, what a waste.

News Comments > Sound Blaster Recon3D Announced
28. Re: Sound Blaster Recon3D Announced Sep 1, 2011, 15:16 WaltC

Rosco wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 13:09:
I'd pull my X-Fi right now and use onboard audio, but the one on my board is a Realtek ALC888, not very good sound from that and poor 5.1. I would if I had the ALC889 though. Nope, Xonar is next and soon.

Heh...;) Didn't realize I'd interrupt a Creative bitching session.

If all you do is movie playback then I can understand being happy over ditching your Creative x-Fi, I suppose... But if you want 5.1 positional sound in games, I wasn't aware of there being much of a choice outside of Creative. I had the x-Fi Titanium along with a Klipsch 5.1 analog gaming system and the fidelity and positional sound in games was terrific. Positional sound in games doesn't transmute so well (or at all) in a digital setup. My wife is still using an Audigy 2Zs card in Win7 and the card sounds great--but not as good as the x-Fi--the difference between the cards even in games is detectable by the naked ear. (I had the Klipsch system hooked up to the Audigy 2 before buying the xFi.)

I am not impressed by *anything* USB as far as sound goes, so this thing Creative has released sounds a bit goofy/ungainly to me. But all of this pent-up angst against Creative doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I know they don't put out drivers every week or month, but the ones I'm using for Win7 work fine for both products.

Admittedly, though, all I use the cards for is gaming and home theater. Perhaps the angst here comes down on the so-called "professional" features that maybe Creative doesn't support so well...?

News Comments > Quoteworthy
5. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 1, 2011, 01:18 WaltC

No way are you getting any snacks!  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Turns 15
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Turns 15 Sep 1, 2011, 01:15 WaltC

From what I recall, Daggerfall was a humongous bug fest for which Bethesda released a very large number of patches. I dimly recall losing interest in the game after installing a number of those patches; and also I seem to recall Bethesda announcing the "final patch" which, unfortunately, did not fix the game but which was, nevertheless, Bethesda's best/last effort, I suppose. After that, Bethesda was a studio I endeavored to stay away from.

The premise of Daggerfall was really neat at the time, and it was too bad Bethesda could not have better executed the idea. Morrowind was the first decent stab at a game from Bethesda that I can remember. It sure is funny to think that was only 15 years ago, though. Seems like an eon.

News Comments > Cancelled "Oblivion-style" Might and Magic Game
10. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 15:31 WaltC

Yes, for years, long before "Heroes of..." was affixed as a prefix, "Might and Magic" produced several really fun (I thought) RPG's. Anyone remember M&M IX? I was very sad when they went to the RTS format--never was the same, or even close to it.  

News Comments > Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans
13. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 13:49 WaltC

"Everyone knows the middle class is disappearing from the console business. Gears of War, I hope will do really well, but a pretty good game doesn't make its money back any more. A game like Homefront sells a couple of million copies and they close the studio, right?

"That's not enough any more. That's pretty depressing. You don't want to see what happens to an industry where it's Call of Duty, Halo and Gears and no-one else has enough money to make any games any more. That's not a fun industry.

Is this a joke, I wonder? CDPR debuted with the PC-only The Witcher a few years ago, and the 1.5 million copies they sold not only put CDPR on the map, it made and established their company financially so that they could hang around to make and release The Witcher 2 to rave reviews and sales--again, PC only (with a console version coming later, if ever.)

If you can sell two million copies of your game and go out of business I'd say that you don't have a game company, you've got nothing more than a con artist chewing up money, instead. Valve reportedly spent $40M developing Half Life 2--and if Valve sold only two million copies and made only $30 per copy sold, they'd have made $60M and realized a $20M profit. There is no reason I can think of to sell two million copies of a game and then go broke. That's insane.

News Comments > "New and Improved" The Witcher 2 Version 2.0 Plans
11. Re: Aug 15, 2011, 22:19 WaltC

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 21:01:
While this is great product support it begs the question why anyone should continue to be idiotic enough to buy a CDP game at full price at release. This is the second game where they bring substantial content updates as well as gameplay improvements and new features to the table via "free" (actually anyone who bought the game paid them up front for any post-release services) patches to create an ultimate super duper platinum uber director's cut version of the game.

Idiotic enough? Heh, that is truly a strange comment...;) Knowing that CDPR is just full of pleasant surprises in their "Witcher for PC" (and only PC) games development, in that they continue to develop the game you bought after you buy it with masses of new features and extra content given away for free--what most companies charge extra for--means that you shouldn't ever be afraid to buy one of these games at full pop when it is released because you know going in that you are going to get you money's worth--and then some. I don't know of any other game franchise that delivers as much, for so little! The Witcher series for PC is therefore king of the hill in value and quality content and its attitude towards DRM.

So, really, what's your point? Do you really think that Witcher 2 will be worth less when version 2.0 for PC is released? I certainly can't see that. Most companies charge the same price for less support and less content and when anything else *is* released for the game they charge you more for it. I think it's obvious that the extra development and content announcement make this game worth more, not less, right away.

Millions of people rushed out and bought StarCraft II and Black Ops for PC on Day One and paid ~$60 for the privilege--and neither of those games will get the same degree of lavish attention for improvement and content that CDPR did first for Witcher PC and now is repeating for Witcher 2 PC.

And of course, if you wait long enough--say, a couple of years--you'll be able to buy the game much cheaper in the bargain bin, but that's true for all games. Who wants to wait two years? Not me...;)

I'm really a bit torn on these tactics. It's nice and cool on the one hand but also incredibly lame on the other since it feels like I paid $50 at release for a barebone version.
Sure, the updates are sort of "free" but still... I could still have my $50 and spent it on another game while waiting for CDP to finish their creative vision or whatever it is that they are after. As it is my game is collecting dust while I'm waiting for the final version. That's not entirely satisfactory.

Your mistake, of course, is in concluding that Witcher 2 isn't already worth $50, and by any measure I am quite sure that it is...;) Your sentiments also remind me of listening to people bitch and moan and swear that they never buy a Microsoft OS until service patch 1 rolls out.

They can do whatever they choose, of course, but I bought both Vista x64 and Win7x64 very near launch, and had no trouble using either prior to SP1. By your standard of reasoning we should all wait until an OS is six months shy of obsolescence before we buy it, since all of the feature upgrades and fixes Microsoft releases for a given OS aren't included at OS launch. But that would be silly--because if you waited for Microsoft to finalize an OS version before you bought it you'd be buying an obsolete OS which wouldn't be worth the price of admission at any price, since the successor OS version would be due to ship any day.

On the contrary, the reason that millions of people go ahead and buy the new OS at or near launch is because they anticipate the several years of improvements and feature additions that will be added free of charge! That automatically makes the new OS version worth much more than it would otherwise appear to be worth at launch.

Witcher 2 for PC is the same. Except that it's a game (!) which makes this amount of support and improved content unheard of among game developers. (I've been gaming for 25 years and have never seen this kind of commitment to an already shipped game.) I've never seen a developer pour so much into a game a year after shipping at no charge to the customer! And, there's no way I want to wait until six months prior to Witcher 3 shipping to buy Witcher2. That's mainly because these Witcher games have an incredible amount of replay value. I played the Witcher through once before the EE version was released by CDPR, and since then I have played it through an additional two times, and am in the middle of my fourth replay of Witcher 1 even as I play the initial chapters of Witcher 2. Basically, holding the opinion that so much beyond-the-pale support for its Witcher PC games makes those games worth less is a sentiment I believe is shared by very few. In fact, you just might be unique in your views...;)

Last, playing computer games for 25 years I've never, ever, bought and played a game (and I've bought hundreds) that was a) 100% bug free, and b) so perfect that no amount of additional content could possibly make it better. Kudos to CDPR for improving their game and adding content for free as this will incite many more people to buy their Witcher PC games than any amount of mere advertising might ever do. And advertising, unfortunately, is where most companies spend their $ after they've already shipped a title.

News Comments > EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"
37. Re: EA: PC Aug 14, 2011, 10:21 WaltC

killer_roach wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:30:
Nothing about the next console generation changes what he's said. The problem is how much interest consumers have in PC gaming once the next generation of consoles comes out.

With ever more powerful PCs coming down the pike at ever-lower prices, I don't think it's a question of "consumer interest" in PCs, I think the real question is: How long do consoles have?

PCs enjoy economies of scale that console manufacturers can only dream of (PCs are selling > 300 million units a year.) I don't think it will be long at all before you can buy desktop PCs in the $300-$400 price range that have multiples of a given console's processing power, 3d rendering power, storage space and many other things that consoles don't offer at all. That's console country at the moment in terms of pricing, but when fairly powerful desktop PCs arrive in that pricing space the only thing that Microsoft or Sony will be able to do is either to slash the price of their consoles down into the $100-$200 range, start selling Microsoft & Sony branded PCs that are called "consoles" for the sake of tradition, or just give up the ship and walk away from the console business.

I think that people forget that consoles were originally introduced as a concept back when a "gaming PC" might cost as much as $5,000. Against that sort of backdrop, a $300 console was the perfect compromise product that would allow people to game while not costing them an arm and a leg in the process. The economic rules that originally made consoles attractive to people simply don't apply anymore, however. So, I think it will be interesting in the upcoming years to see just how long the console as a concept will be able to hang on in the face of the inevitable $300 UberPC...;)

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
68. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 7, 2011, 14:28 WaltC

DDI wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 22:24:
Uhm, are you guys familiar with the trademark lawsuit between Apple Corps and Apple Computers. It had been mostly settled but then flaired up because Apple Computers started selling electronic music which Apple Corps felt was an infringment on their mark.

Back when Apple Computer was strictly a computer company, the Beatles penned an agreement with Apple Computer allowing use of the word "Apple" in relation to their computer business, with the strict understanding that if Apple Computer ever at any time "entered the music business" (in any way, shape, or form) that Apple Computer would lose its trademark right to use the word "Apple" from then on. When Apple introduced the iPod & iTunes it "entered the music business" and broke the original agreement and the Beatles promptly sued. Apple paid the Beatles a cool $50M to continue use the word "Apple" from that point forward. Steve Jobs made his now-classic remark about how he meant only to "pay tribute" to the Beatles by ripping off their trademark...:D

You can claim you have superior logic but it's false. They are both video games with similar names, Bethesda is within their right to defend their mark. In fact, they must defend their mark or else they lose it. For example, Xerox brought back their trademark from the brink of oblivion; everyone says photocopy instead of xerox now due to their aggressive defense of their mark.

You guys can whine and moan about how you think its unfair that poor little rich indie guy who made one game you like is being picked on but Bethesda is required to defend their mark.

Unlike between Apple Computer and the Beatles, Mojang had no agreement with Bethesda allowing it to use the word "scrolls" until such time as Mojang used it in order to sell computer games...;) Indeed, the phrase "The Elder Scrolls" is what Bethesda has trademarked with respect to the title of some of its computer games. If Mojang wants to trademark "scrolls" with respect to the title of some of its computer games, and Bethesda disagrees, then Bethesda will have to prove to a judge that consumers are easily confused by a game title of "Scrolls" and a game title of "The Elder Scrolls," and that most consumers would believe when purchasing "Scrolls" by Mojang that they were instead buying "The Elder Scrolls" by Bethesda.

Yes, generally speaking a company is compelled to protect its trademarks by way of litigation when necessary. However, nowhere is it written or implied that fomenting a suit that is not likely to succeed is necessary for protecting one's trademark.

Should a judge rule that there is no reason to believe that consumers are likely to confuse "Scrolls" with "The Elder Scrolls," then the result is exactly the same for Bethesda that it would have been had Bethesda never sued Mojang: Bethesda retains a trademark for the phrase "The Elder Scrolls" as it pertains to the title of some of Bethesda's computer games, and Mojang retains a trademark for "Scrolls" as it pertains to the title of some of Mojang's computer games. Bethesda would have spared itself quite a bit of superfluous legal fees, too, while retaining its trademark, had it not sued Mojang in the first place.

Speaking of Apple, this reminds me of Apple suing Amazon over the phrase "App Store" in the larger phrase "Amazon App Store." Apple says that consumers will be confused by the Amazon trademark "Amazon App Store" and will think they are buying from Apple, instead of Amazon. The judge has already informed Apple that one of its so-far-unmet burdens of proof relative to a successful trademark infringement case against Amazon is proving that consumers are likely to confuse the "Apple App Store" with the "Amazon App Store". The judge has stated that Apple hasn't done this yet--at all.

If Apple cannot do that, and at this stage it appears Apple cannot, then Apple might as well not have bothered to sue Amazon in the first place, as having unsuccessfully sued another company for protection of your trademark has no effect on the mark at all, either pro or con. You have, however, wasted a lot of time and money on a superfluous, bogus effort, and accomplished little save for making some lawyers smile as they fattened their wallets. Nothing wrong with a company being prudent as to whom it sues and why, and taking a losing battle to court does nothing to strengthen your hold on the trademarks you already have.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
131. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 13:06 WaltC

Bhruic wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 10:53:
You're making completely arbitrary rules here. What exactly is the difference between selling one game and not selling another and selling one game and not selling the DLC?

I can't believe you're having a hard time with this...;) The subject is one (1) game, BC3, and that one (1) game's DLC. Whether Valve sells "other games" or doesn't sell them is completely beside the point and an altogether different matter.

Before you try and suggest other people don't know what they're talking about, you really should do some research to avoid making yourself look stupid. Selling a game on Steam does not mean that the game uses Steamworks. BF:BC2, for example, is sold on Steam, but has no Steamworks integration at all. Most, if not all EA games are done similarily, and there's no reason to suspect that they'd do it any different with BF3, should it actually come to Steam.

I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the information. Frankly, though, it doesn't strike me that selling games through Steam, but not Steamworks, would be in Valve's best interests at all. Valve's rejection of B3C makes even more sense in light of this information.

417 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo