Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 551 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 10:48 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 04:14:
My point exactly. That's why I said like clockwork. Almost a million bucks a week, week in and week out? That's simply too good to be true. And if something sounds too good to be true. Most ponzi scheme victims think they're going to be well rewarded too.

Lol...;) The difference is, of course, that "most ponzi schemes" don't have public web sites--they try very hard to hide what they are doing from the public and the authorities.

"Too good to be true"...? Doesn't make much sense. One of the popular war games released in recent years to a sell-through of five million copies in its first week, IIRC. So take 5,000,000 and multiply that x $64.95--now *that* seems too good to be true. And yet it was. True, I mean...;) Today's gaming market is enormous.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation
7. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:52 WaltC

Darks wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:31:
That ended with him being bought out by Wargamer.

As for him running out of Ideas, not hardly. Wargamer just recently bought the rights to TA so of course Chris is going to get to make a new TA since he now falls under them. Please keep your hate to yourself!

I'll try and explain my question in mature terms. The one quote I remember reading from the Wargamer CEO when he rescued GPG was, "I can't wait to see Wildman!" Or something very close to that. He seemed really interested in Wildman when he bought Chris's company--maybe when he discovered that the back-of-napkin pencil drawings Chris did in the Wild man videos were about as far as the game had gone in actual development, he changed his mind. Or Chris changed his mind, I don't know. It certainly seems odd, is the only reason I commented. It is a perfectly normal question that I think anyone would ask.

Look, I don't "hate" anybody--I wish people would grow up and stop using that ridiculous term any time they encounter someone who is uninterested in sharing their adoration of certain people and/or games and/or programs. I don't worship anyone, and I don't hate anyone, and asking about Wildman is a perfectly rational, valid question that frankly I'm surprised someone else didn't ask first. Wildman was the last game Chris publicly talked about...hence the rationality behind the query.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: 5 ridiculous tech fees... Oct 9, 2013, 10:36 WaltC

With articles like "bidding Intel farewell" it is easy to see where the "Motley Fool" gets his nickname...;)

News Comments > Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation
4. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:27 WaltC

McSterls wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:25:
He's run out of ideas for new original games.

So, what happened to "Wild Man" as the new and exciting game he unsuccessfully attempted to KickStart a few months back?

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
50. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 10:22 WaltC

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:23:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:06:
Slinkycatz wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:15:
Every day hundreds are signing up... it has been a slow uptick of the # of people signing up every day. It is not just the USA but all over the world.

I just don't believe that 2000 people are signing up every day for $77 a piece, and keep on doing this so day after day after week after week after month after month. Not when no other Kickstarter has gotten even anywhere near those numbers of people. Yet Roberts keeps adding a million dollars basically every week?

I'm pretty sure this is just investor money that they're pretending is crowdsourced.

I'm a Star Citizen backer, but I share your suspicions. I'm sorry, but crowd sourced titles like this follow a pretty consistent pattern with how the money comes in. You don't keep up steady and consistent gains over a long period of time.

If I had to guess, I'd say a certain amount of investor money was gained early on, and he's pretending that its rolling in slowly to keep the game in the press. Admittedly a bit of a tinfoil hat theory, but something is definitely fishy here.

Nah, the idea is a bit silly...;) "Keeping the game in the press" is not a major concern for companies that have crowd sourced the money they need. They are being funded by the crowd, in advance, to make the game--this market is already assured. There are much, much better ways of keeping the game in the press--such as releasing trailers weekly, that sort of thing. They aren't required to divulge how much money they've taken in from every source. If this was investor money they'd just take it and say nothing to the public because they have no obligation in that regard. And, if this was investor money, they surely wouldn't be taking on extra layers of work for themselves, and that's on top of the fact that if they say its crowd-source money and it isn't, and they default on a publicly announced goal they've reached with crowd sourcing--that's fraud. With all of the money they have successfully crowd sourced there'd be no reason to lie about investor money since they are under no obligation to reveal it to anyone.

Last I heard there are close to a billion people with daily Internet access. Even with half of that number, 2000 people is a drop in the bucket, a pail of water in the ocean, a raindrop in a cyclone, etc.

I've always believed there is a vast, pent-up demand for the kinds of games that the normal publishing houses won't fund. Many people are sick of the cookie-cutter games that keep pouring out of these traditional publishers--like war games, GTA, etc. There is a huge, untapped market out there that it is likely will only be addressed by crowd sourcing. But the next couple years will be critical for KickStarter and crowd sourcing in general. A lot of successfully funded games are coming due--and what happens if most of them are duds? Crowd sourcing could go as quickly as it came on the scene. I don't think that's going to happen--I think most will be wildly successful for the developers and that crowd sourcing will mature and stabilize. I hope that's what happens, anyway, because right now crowd sourcing seems the only way to get the kinds of games most of us want to buy.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
49. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 09:30 WaltC

Tumbler wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 20:50:
I'm really close skipping the ps4 / 180 nonsense and dumping that $400+ into pc upgrades. Star Citizen is supposed to have a big sale or something on 10/10, maybe they'll have something that pushes me over the edge.

Hear, Hear! A Wise man has spoken! Attend all thine ears and various other hearing appendages upon his excellent verbiage! He speaks truth to the ages!

(I, uh, approve of your sentiment, if you can't tell...;))

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
11. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 17:25 WaltC

There was never a console in the works. A "Steambox" can be any x86 PC built from any assortment of components right off the shelf. "SteamOS" is Ubuntu 12.03+ with some kind of Valve-themed UI. The Linux game software supported is the very same Linux game software supported presently by Steam. Hardware for SteamOS will be limited to whatever Ubuntu 12.03+ hardware drivers Valve can dig up.

Bottom line: business as usual for Valve. The rest of it is PR window dressing. There really is nothing to see here.

If someone is determined to run SteamOS at all, best scenario is as a Windows box with dual-boot capability to boot SteamOS when desired. At the moment Valve has provided no clarity as to why someone would run SteamOS rather than Windows, probably because there is really no case Gabe can make for doing that...;)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2013, 14:50 WaltC

I once used a blind man to verify the blindness experience, as opposed to, you know, just closing my eyes and stumbling around for a bit...(yea, I thought it was brilliant, too.)

8. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 14:29 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 13:47:
Being sceptical for cash isn't science, it's politics and TV ratings. It seems bizarre that anyone would think the big money is in confirming global warming. Those poor oil mining companies and manufacturing industries, getting bullied by those rich and powerful hippies.

LittleMe has it right. The money is generally coming from lunatic governments investing in all kinds of "green" technologies that run through hundreds of billions of dollars before going bankrupt. It's an excuse for the same governments to raise taxes (again!) on the backs of the middle class and the rich, who are the only ones paying income taxes at the moment. (According to the IRS, the top 5% of incomes--ie, the richest people in the country--pay ~42% of all the income taxes collected by the IRS.)

"Denier" is definitely not a scientific term. It's a religious term used because for the people who use the word to accuse others it's not about science at all--it's about faith and belief and emotion. To them, if you don't "believe in Global Warming" of a kind that man can control, then you are a "denier." The science on Global Warming aka Climate Change is as far from being settled as it can be. On that point, it's the Global Warmers who are the real "deniers"...;)

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
12. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 21:57 WaltC

Gabe is really hitting the crack pipe hard, of late. These words are doubly funny coming from the guy who thought supporting the Mac--*the* most closed, least innovative gaming platform in existence, supporting even less hardware than Linux derivatives (which have no problem running on AMD systems and never have)--was a great idea which he extolled to the heavens! Lol...! Win8 now represents more Valve customers than all of the Mac OSes combined--and it achieved that in less than a year. [Of course, without Valve's Windows markets in total, Valve would dry up and blow away--and Gabe knows it.]

I'll go 10-1 odds that had Microsoft never opened a Store Newell would think Win8 was the greatest OS ever conceived by man and destined to rule the galaxy for the next 12,000 years...;)

Heck, I'll go 20-1 odds on bets up to $100! (But it won't matter since the Microsoft store is out there and running and isn't going away, so this is a bet that can never happen.) All this funny hyping of Ubuntu's importance within Steamworks reminds me of Valve's hyping of ATi for a couple of years, way back when (ATi, it was later revealed, had dumped somewhere around a cool $1M on Gabe to pimp the company so vociferiously.) So...wonder who is paying Gabe now? Sony? Apple? It's anybody's guess.

Let's see--Gabe is super-pissed at Microsoft for daring to open a "store", although Apple's store doesn't bother him at all, apparently--and Gabe is apparently upset with Microsoft and Sony for bringing the most open, most innovative consoles to market that have ever been called "consoles" (because they are x86 computers in disguise)--and I guess those two caused the "Steambox" to be still born, huh? So, of course, he is plenty sore about that, too. Man, it's obvious Gabe loathes competition, eh? But most of these successful tech companies fear & hate competition with a passion bordering on a phobia. Steve Jobs (RIP) believed everyone wanted to steal his underwear. (I can't think of a suitable allegory for Gabe, there are so many that come to mind.)

At this rate the "significant restructuring" we may see may include Valve in a rather negative connotation--but I sincerely hope not. I've been a Valve customer for years and one thing's for sure and that is that Newell is flipping his lid quite grandly at the moment! No doubt in my mind that somebody is paying him royally to do it. I mean, come on--the sum total of all Steam's Linux business to date wouldn't float Valve's boat financially for a week...! Who the heck does he think he's kidding? I realize he was speaking at LinuxCon, of course, and cheering the troopers is par for the course, but I've been waiting on Gabe's "tangible proof" of the upcoming Ubuntu boom for the last year and haven't seen it yet. Really--he is either losing it; or someone is paying him to make a braying ass of himself. One of the two.

I mean, it's iron clad that it won't be Valve paying $10-20B++ to get the thousands of Windows games that don't exist at all for Linux ported to Ubuntu 12.04 +, will it? And how many AAA titles this year have been announced that include *any* kind of official Linux support--for Ubuntu or otherwise? None, maybe? Rings a bell with me. This isn't an anti-Linux diatribe, btw--it's anti-Gabe Newell at the moment, because the man is acting as if his brain got lost somewhere in a deep cave in Skyrim. Sure wish Gabe would go and get it. These public rants are so silly they are embarrassing to read about.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
23. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 15:11 WaltC

Reading the FAQ, it looks like the lender can authorize up to a total of 10 devices (or computers) for the shared accounts, thus a "shared computer" is merely one that is designated by the lender and so doesn't apparently have to be in the same house, etc.

The next part is less than clear, but it *sounds like* what gets shared is the lender's *entire game library* which then becomes accessible to only *one* computer or device at a time, out of the total ten devices or computers the lender has designated as shared. If I read this correctly, it means that you cannot have ten people simultaneously sharing the same library but each playing a different game from that Library--if true, that sort of puts a damper on the whole concept, imo. It then appears that whenever the lender enters his own loaned game library and starts playing a game, the borrower is then booted out of the shared game he was playing and prompted by the Steam program to buy the game he was sharing with the lender.

It's *sort of* close to what actually happens when you loan out your game DVD to a friend: when you ask for your game back then the borrower either has to stop playing the game (presumably because of some sort of DRM that requires a disk in the drive--or the "honor system" *choke*) or else buy his own copy of the game. I say "sort of" because if someone owns ten separate game DVDs he could actually lend each one of them out to a different person and all ten people could play those games at the same time.

Apparently, when the Steam game library is loaned to two people then Steam has no way of stopping two people from simultaneously playing the same game at the same time since both are playing from an approved & legitimate game library. I guess that's why the "one at a time" rule is in force here. I guess we'll know more in a short while.

Should Microsoft ever decide to bring back xBone game library sharing it will likely work exactly like this. This may yet happen with the xBone once the public forgets what it was it *thought* Microsoft was promising...;) (ten people all playing from one person's shared game library at the same time, etc.)

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 13:14 WaltC

The last BSoD I had was years ago under Vista, I believe (now running Win8x64). I had a problem similar to yours--it was a real humdinger and a head-scratcher, too. BSoD's these days are almost always caused by hardware problems somewhere (software problems usually just dump you back to the desktop these days because post-XP Windows versions are very stable and can easily handle an application crash.)

What I discovered then was that sometimes the logs can be wrong--way off, even. Sometimes, depending on the particular hardware problem, OS diagnostics show where the OS detects the problem as opposed to where it actually is. Making a long story short, under Vista I kept getting a BSoD intermittently that kept telling me that the fault lay in my Catalyst driver--which should indicate a problem with my GPU somewhere--either in the driver or the gpu hardware. After much hair-pulling and exhaustive testing (drove me bananas), it turned out that I had two simultaneous hardware problems going on, neither of which involved the gpu or my gpu drivers:

1) Ram tests revealed that one of my DIMMs was bad. The only time that problem caused the BSoD was when a program or application happened to attempt to access that particular DIMM's memory space...Replaced the DIMM and the memory now passed the tests that it had been failing--but then--Bang!--another BSoD again implicating the gpu driver...

2) One of my hard drives was failing. That was the really weird one! As I said, the logs and the other diagnostic software was of little help to me. It was only by physically disconnecting my hard drives one-by-one that I isolated and solved *that* particular problem. After disconnecting a particular physical hard drive (I had 4 HD's installed at the time), the BSoD's vanished. Plugged the drive back in and the BSoD's intermittently came back--until I disconnected. After a week disconnected with no further BSoDs, I plugged it back in, and within an hour or two I got the same BSoD again. After replacing the drive I never had the BSoD problem again.

To sum up--two hardware problems were causing me intermittent BSoDs, and the problems were uncovered manually as opposed to by my OS diagnostic software--which never failed to incorrectly identify the problem. Hardware problems are like Dominoes, the source problem affects one component which affects another, and on and on until a system crash that generates a BSoD occurs. The automatic OS diagnostics pick up the last component to fail in the chain reaction, and the BSoD itself displays that software component as the culprit. But in my case the BSoD was wrong because the information revealed only the last software component to fail--my gpu driver--as the source of the problem. But it never was...;)

In these cases, unfortunately, only skilled manual component testing will allow you to isolate such hardware problems when they occur. But that's a big advantage in running a desktop PC--you *can* self-service your machine when you need to. With other devices and form factors if you open the case you void the warranty--and you become helpless before the whims of your particular manufacturer. And if you own a non-PC device (like a console) and it's out of warranty--cracking the case won't do you much good unless you can replace the faulty components inside with off-the-shelf equivalents--which will often not be the case. I guess this sums up the worst problem I've ever had with a desktop computer.

You'll eventually get this solved, I'm sure. And be the wiser for it, too!

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 17:32 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:29:
Zyrxil wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:40:
I don't know about those ratios, I remember COD:MW3 had something like 50 million development budget and 200 million marketing budget.

I seriously doubt you get a team of that many people building that much content for just 50 million bucks. I'd reckon in actual story missions alone, GTA is probably five to ten times bigger than CoD, and then you get the entire world which needs to be hand-built.

Many single-player games offer hundreds of hours of "content" and cost nowhere near even $50M, including marketing. I'm with the guy who thinks that if there is any reality to this figure at all (very doubtful) then 80%-90% of it is being spent on marketing. I'm also with the guy who thinks a company would be beyond foolish to spend this kind of money on development of a single game...;) Insane, maybe. A huge target for stockholder lawsuits, etc. It is likely not even close to being true, imo.

News Comments > AMD Gaming Evolved Evolves
5. Re: AMD Gaming Evolved Evolves Aug 14, 2013, 16:50 WaltC

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 15:20:
When I bought my last video card, I got Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider... then Blood Dragon as a special bonus! Considering the card saved me $135 worth of games (at retail price) and is a good value for the price, I kind of like this promotion!

Got the same games--my 2GB 7850 actually wound up costing me $55 shipped to my door...;) (Really--$70 because I had planned to buy BSI and TR, anyway, but not the Blood Dragon game.) Great deal.

News Comments > EA Financial Results
21. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 21:20 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 12:57:

As for the price, $60 is the going rate at for AAA games currently and has been for the past couple of years. UT games always shipped at the top AAA price. In fact, $60 today is cheaper than the $50 that the original UT shipped at, adjusting for inflation. $50 in 1999 would be $70 today.

Problem is, the PC market for games has grown by at least 500% since 1999--so all of the "inflation" statistics prove themselves entirely bogus. The market is so much larger that a decent game should double or maybe even triple its 1999 grosses. So....today's $60 game *should be* selling for $20-$30 in order for the publishers to gross the same amount of money as in 1999, selling to the same percentage of the market. A discussion of inflation since 1999 without at the same time discussing how much larger today's market is than it was in 1999 is useless.

The market is so much larger that $60 is, imo, a rip-off price. Looking at it honestly, though, $60 price tags for PC games don't hold up very long, fortunately--they reduce very quickly, usually. (A month after Skyrim debuted on the PC for $60 I bought it through a Steam sale for $40.) The people who suffer the most rip-off are console owners as their game prices tend to remain artificially high for lengthy periods of time--PS3 & xb360 each sold a total of ~75M units during their last seven years (for a total of 150M consoles). At the same time, PCs sold at an average rate of 300M per year, for a total of 2.1 Billion PCs sold worldwide compared to 150 Million units for xb360 and PS3 combined. That's why the MSRP's for console games are so slow to drop compared to their PC counterparts--there are a lot fewer of them in the console market than there are gaming PC market (if only 15% of all the PCs sold during that time frame are considered "gaming machines" that's still 315 Million gaming PCs in the market--or roughly double the number of Sony and Microsoft consoles.)

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2013, 20:47 WaltC

Apparently it's true, then. Mattress is gone--and to Zynga of all places. Poor fellow--sheesh, what a demotion. I cannot figure out how the guy made such a mess of the xb1 launch, though. It's a real mystery. If that's an accurate reprint of Ballmer's memo (obviously leaked deliberately) then I'd say Steve's got his head so full of buzzwords it's a miracle he can see straight. They're hitting the bong hard at Microsoft these days, it looks like. Good grief. Anyone in the company know how to communicate in plain English these days?

News Comments > Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga
22. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 16:03 WaltC

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:27:
1badmf wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:25:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:21:
Heh, Don Mattrick looks like the kind of tool that would cower before Steve Ballmer, yeah.

I never understood that whole thing anyway. If my boss threw a chair at me, shit would be ON. (and if you're not physical enough to want to fight the guy, then sue the living shit out of him.)

Creston

wait wait... that chair throwing thing actually happened? i thought that was just a rearranging-chairs-on-the-titanic type of joke.

It happened: the guy testified about it.

Yea, it happened according to this guy's statement--he said, she said, isn't it? It doesn't appear there were any witnesses, and the guy who made the statement isn't exactly impartial, is he? Most of all--this is a very minor civil-suit issue, anyway. He does make it clear, though, that Ballmer did not throw the chair *at him*...;) And Ballmer isn't on trial for anything and is accused of nothing. Ballmer's rant as described was addressed at Google, not the employee. That's the way it reads to me, anyhow...

But, this Mattrick rumor has all the earmarks of a rumor (as opposed to a fact.) I mean, "Zynga"? Come on--that's lame! Zynga is all but defunct and right now Mattrick has the credibility of a berserk moose. I mean, I can't even see Zynga hiring Mattrick--for what????

I would not be surprised to see all of these Microsoft phony-baloney's like Mattrick getting the ax at Microsoft, though. Sinofsky couldn't exit quickly enough for me--he looked like a cross between Jean Luc Picard and Bozo the Clown, if you ask me, and thought like one, too.

(More importantly, I'm a member of the Anti-bald League and president of the local chapter. We want to put all the phony baldies away somewhere--will only the real Bald People please stand up! Ballmer needs to watch out--does he shave it--his bald pate!--or doesn't he shave it? That is the question. Better put that razor down, Stevie boy, if you are using it--because if you are, we're coming for you, Stevie!)

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
86. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 20:17 WaltC

NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:37:
To be fair, it might be as easy as flipping a switch for Larry and Don, but the people who actually have to implement all this shit and have no say in the decision making probably now have a lot of crunch time ahead of them. All because these fucktards can't make up their minds. How much? Impossible to say without knowing their development process, but the bitch of development is that it is sometimes harder to remove something than it is to add it.

Nah...;) None of that software was anywhere near remotely done, I'd bet on it. In any event Microsoft would have found it had bitten off way more than it could chew with its boasts of "game sharing" and its threats of DRM everywhere else. Talking about that kind of thing for one console is one thing--when you start talking a million consoles with each group of 10 xb1 owners sharing games--then at most you've got 1 xb1 owner out of every 10 who buys a game! The other 9 people get to play it gratis--free of charge!

That would go over with game devs like a lead balloon, seems to me. Not to even talk about publishers. I don't think the "shared library" thing would ever have worked--and all the customer uproar at present simply provides Microsoft with an excuse to ditch a "feature" they'd never have implemented anyway.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 11, 2013, 14:31 WaltC

Ugly/hideously impractical/horrifically expensive...are words that come to mind when looking at Apple's take on its new Mac Pro. Ugh.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 30, 2013, 20:46 WaltC

...whereas the xbox1 is not (first & foremost a video game console.)

551 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo