Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 526 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Rhode Island Alleges 38 Studios Deception
14. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 14:04 WaltC

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 13:44:
Yeah no business leader would ever commit fraud. No politician would be naive enough to believe a sales-pitch involving new jobs in their state.

That's because no politician would ever commit fraud, eh?....;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 12:35 WaltC

Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:33:
Right now tablets aren't productivity tools, they are media consumption devices. The Surface Pro did nothing to change that and it is prohibitively expensive in this economy.

Excellent point! I shall remember it!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 12:31 WaltC

Tom wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 09:41:
It seems like there's a lot of confusion about what to do with these different form factors. It doesn't help that the lines between form factors are constantly being blurred in various ways.

It's good to hear some positive things about the Surface Pro here and there. It got a lot of so-so reviews which, combined with the price, are probably hurting it. Personally I'm looking forward to the next-gen lower power CPUs from Intel that should make a device in this form factor much more appealing. Less heat generation, less bulk, more battery life... mmn.

I really think it's very simple. If you want a portable with a touch screen instead of a keyboard, buy a tablet. If you want a portable with a keyboard, buy a laptop. If you don't need a portable then you're freed up to do some shopping and you can equip it however you like and chances are it will be less expensive than a portable, have many times the computational power and storage capacity, and be so easy to service and upgrade that you can do it yourself with components you can buy from a store shelf. If you don't need a portable, then by all means get a "real computer"...;)

Actually, considering their extremely limited utility, I was surprised to see that Microsoft had sold 1.1m RT tablets as I would have expected interest in such a non-functional device to be close to nil. (Because it doesn't run x86 Windows software and isn't physically compatible with x86 Windows.)

My personal opinion is that the public's interest in tablet form factors is already starting to wane as the limitations of these devices become more obvious and well known. When was the last time you read a tablet review that talked about the things you can't do with it that you routinely do with a desktop/laptop computer? I don't think I've ever read such a review, which is partially why it has taken so long for people to see the many downsides of tablets versus even laptops, let alone desktops.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
62. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 14:55 WaltC

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:31:

Except, of course, that complaining against DRM has worked time and time again. Without complaints and boycotts, Starforce would still be fucking over a huge amount of computers on a daily basis. Without complaining and boycotts, Ubisoft would still be as retarded as EA. Without complaining and boycotts, every game would come with a three-machine activation limit. Without boycotts and complaining, TAGES would still be in use by a large amount of publishers, rather than solely being forced upon legitimate customers by Deep Silver. (Enjoy it when it ships with Saints Row 4, guys...)

DRM is not a given, it's not some unalienable burden that man has to subject himself to like taxes, and it's sure as fuck not time to stop fucking complaining about it.

People do, however, need to realize that complaining about it on a forum while at the same time buying the DRM in question serves no purpose whatsoever. Hello, everyone who bought Diablo 3! (and SimCity!)

Creston

Lots of games these days advertise "DRM-free" as a selling point: everything on Gog.com and the new Tex Murphy Fedora Project just for starters. DRM is not only not a given it's actually a prime reason some games don't sell as well as they should. Some developers get it--some don't. Heck, not only do I pass on DRM, I won't even buy a game that doesn't "save anywhere, anytime"! I pass on console fare.

But deliberately designing an advertised single-player game to require an EA server just to play the game is not really even "honest" DRM, it's just manipulative and sneaky. If they want to change the SimCity advertising to say "Multiplayer only and only on EA servers," fine. That's at least being honest, and honesty is EA's entire problem here. Had they been honest from the beginning they'd have had far fewer sales and the problems might not even have manifested.

I'm still curious about the OS X ram requirements for the game being 2x what they are for Windows--sure sounds like a D3d-to-OpenGL wrapper to me at the moment...;) Wow--that would be something I haven't seen in years--not since my 3dfx days.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
56. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:40 WaltC

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy a single-player game which is dependent on remote servers to run. Why? When the servers go down, either temporarily or permanently, there goes the game and there goes your dough along with it. Even if you don't care about this kind of DRM and can take it or leave it, you ought to care a lot about server dependency. I bought several SimCity games in the past but I surely won't buy this one. And that's exactly why.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
67. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 09:17 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:00:
No they didn't, that's misrepresenting what they said.

"That is just a performance decision," Quigley told IncGamers. "Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities. At some point in the future, especially with mainstream computers become more capable, we could certainly make the city sizes larger."

He said that as a mainstream game, it needs to run on "your dad's PC" as well as yours. But as PCs get more capable, he claims the update will come at some point. "We'll eventually get around to expanding the city size but I canít make any promises as to when."

Not the same as holding it back as a feature.

Doesn't the fact that the game was required to utilize network servers contradict their own statement as you have quoted it? They say they didn't build in bigger cities because current computers weren't powerful enough--then they add that they built the game to run on "Dad's PC". EA ships plenty of games that won't run well on "Dad's PC" *and* that run locally, so if this EA game consumes that much in the way of resources in order to run, then it will quickly clog up and destroy the network that's attempting to run critical parts of the game. Unless EA is using "Dad's PC" for their servers then this statement makes little sense at all. The power of the local computer is not an issue here. The power of EA's network is the issue. Very poor game design, very poor.

It really makes no sense at all for EA to make a game dependent on a network to help run parts of the game--and then talk about the constraints of "Dad's" local computer to explain why they didn't build in bigger cities. The bottleneck here is the network, not the local computers the game is running on.

If EA was really aiming for "Dad's PC" then the game should have been strictly 2d, and the networking model should have been dropped (What if "Dad" is still on dial up?) EA is surely talking out of both sides of its mouth here.

IMO, EA was simply trying to do a Diablo III with this game. They are getting what they deserve for worrying more about piracy than about the quality of their game for paying customers. EA has its priorities exactly backwards.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
61. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 08:41 WaltC

EkimDeLhi wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 01:07:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:36:
Doesn't matter. If Sim City preorder/launch sales break even or generate any profit you will only see more bullshit like this. If the game is a loss for EA you will never see another Sim City again.

As to your second point, it's starting to feel like EA has already killed it.

Hopefully, EA will then sell the IP to someone who can use it to make the kind of game people want to buy.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 5, 2013, 16:51 WaltC

I think instead of a "mammoth-sized game" what he was actually talking was the first-person shooter...at least, that's the way the text reads.

Horror game sounds great--but I won't be interested in 10-hour adventure-horror games, either. I like deep and involved story lines and a minimum of 30 hours of absorbing game play. The 5-10 hour stuff belongs on cell phones and should sell at cell-phone game prices, too.

News Comments > Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter
5. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 21:22 WaltC

Great Stuff!

News Comments > Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite
7. Re: Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite Feb 19, 2013, 21:10 WaltC

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:02:
This game cannot possibly get here soon enough! It looks like an improvement over Bioshock and they keep hinting at doing something really special.

Please be good great!
Did I mention I get this and C3 "free" for buying a 7950???
Downloading Crysis 3 on Origin at the moment,
Ray

I was about to offer my condolences on C3--but seeing as how you got it free--you sly dog--Congrats are in order! Now you can tell us how horrifically bad it is likely to be without a qualm of self-justification to spoil the prose...;) Bitter prunes slide down much easier if they're free...!...:D

I'm thinking "Infinite" just might offer enough meat to keep me interested!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 19, 2013, 21:00 WaltC

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:15:
Singleplayer campaign is short, five or six hours some probably longer if you stop to look at every nut and bolt in the game.

Six hours? Forgedaboudeet! Great going Crytek--finally reached demo material level with the main single-player campaign! Congrats!

Six hours? Six? Tell me it isn't so. Blockbusters like Skyrim unfolding hundreds of hours of single play--while Cysis has been reduced to "six"--uh, if you look under every leaf and rock? Madness!

I shall *PASS* on this one, of course. What an "expected" but all the same "unexpected" disappointment. I still keep expecting the cookie cutters to surprise me.

My money will go elsewhere. And of course this answers the "no demo" question--hell, if you created a demo you might as well release the whole friggin' game for free! Six hours is a solid single-play demo--but if all you've got is six hours to offer--a demo is clearly off the table.

Relieved to pass on another regurgitated and truncated version of "Crysis." How many years have they been raping that title? Anyone remember? I really don't care, anymore.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
30. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 10:29 WaltC

Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:00:
It isn't that quick, they've been working on it off and on for years. Though I think the win 8 thing pushed a few of them to wheel their desks over to the linux corner.

Yea, the "Win8 thing"... Rolleyes Hopefully Gabe has begun to notice how many more of its Steam customers are running Win8 than are running Linux. I'm running Win8 and all of my Steam games run just fine--in fact, there isn't one Windows game I can download from Steam that won't run on Win 8. Even GoG is now certifying its titles compatible with Win 8. He apparently is pissed off because Microsoft opened an on-line store, although he never opened his mouth about Apple's...;) Go figure, people can be weird. The fact that Newell has never bothered to explain his seeming panic over Win 8 is surely understandable--it's embarrassing!

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
26. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 15:16 WaltC

I agree that there's no question that GPG went for less than it would have had Chris decided to sell the company on the quiet a few months ago. He really hurt his company valuation with his desperado videos. Apparently, it sure seems like Wargaming was the only company stepping up to the plate to buy GPG, and that there was no competitive bidding among companies--Wargaming looks like "it" for interest in GPG.

But I think the experience Chris has along with his GPG employees is near invaluable--hard to even put a dollar amount on that kind of experience and talent, imo. And I also think GPG has a lot of valuable IP, too, which is something many other studios just don't have. I think GPG is worth far more than mere "payroll liabilities" to someone who understands that "bean counters will not successful games make"...;) Here's the thing, though: we don't know what and for how much GPG was sold. It's entirely possible that Chris might've retained ownership of some of that prior IP if not all of it. Or, he may have had to sell everything at clearance prices.

GPG was not in debt, IIRC, so Chris may have been a bit less desperate than you might think--and I don't think he was so desperate that he would have made a bad deal to keep going. I also think he primarily did this for the sake of his employees, too.

Some very positive stuff here for Chris...he doesn't have to shoulder the financial responsibility for the company along with the creative responsibility, and I think he will relish his new role inside Wargaming. I know that I would. If I was Wargaming, I'd care far less about the previous GPG IP than I would about the kinds of future games he could get out of the GPG crew--that's really where the company's value shines, imo.

Wildman was a hasty stab, no doubt about it. Another thought I had about Wildman is that GPG was planning on using some of its Empire-destined code base (consigned to limbo when Microsoft cancelled its arrangement with GPG)--and "Wildman" was what they were planning just to throw on top of that code to some extent. Hence the technological development stages Chris talked about for Wildman, etc.

I also think that Chris is the kind of person who would not have done the deal if he couldn't bring *everybody* with him, at least initially. I might be wrong but I doubt if he left anyone behind. I think that your evaluation and Wargame's rational for buying GPG are very different...;)

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
36. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 13, 2013, 08:34 WaltC

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:43:

Nothing you are saying is supported in fact.
For one, you have ZERO numbers showing that a decent demo of a decent game increases sales, let alone "2X." This guy has numbers that prove the opposite.

So argue his interpretation, don't throw out gibberish.

And the idea that people are going to bootleg a game to see if they like it is also absurd. The try-before-you-buy crowd isn't terribly large. Even the people here that do it mostly admit they buy it at a later date at a later price.
Plus he's discussing the 360, not the PC, making this a much more difficult thing to do.
Lastly, the games that routinely don't get demos, like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Modern Warfare, etc., all do extremely well and sell extremely fast without them. Their sales are very much day 1 and week 1 sales. A demo, which would come out around the time of release, wouldn't speed that up. At best it slows it down. Those consumers aren't swayed by demos at all, to them the prior game in the series or by the developer is the demo.

Also, yes, people sell more games when reviews aren't published. Had those Colonial Marines reviews come out last week I guarantee there would have been more preorders canceled. There's a reason Hollywood routinely does this.

I don't think your reading comprehension is very good. I said *decent* demo...The idea that a good demo is going to hurt a game's sales is about as intelligent as thinking that a good game review is going to hurt game sales. It's just not true.

Yes, this idiot was indeed speaking about the xBox and I was speaking about the far superior gaming platform--the PC. But I don't even know why someone would discuss game demos on an xBox. I don't own an xBox for gaming, and the crowd that does is already way, way behind in the gaming appreciation department, anyway...;)

The simple truth is that it's ludicrous to say that a good demo of a game--again, emphasis on the word "good" or "decent"--will hurt your sales. That's exactly like saying a good game review will hurt your sales--it is a stupid thought. It's puzzling why you would be so ready to believe it.

Games like CoD etc, do not count because people are already very familiar with these cookie-cutter style games and know exactly what to expect by virtue of having played the earlier games in the series. Talk about Skyrim--people with xBoxen should hardly bother--as the game without mods is 100% a different and inferior game. The way to play Skyrim is not on an xBoxen.

Besides, Skyrim does indeed have a demo of sorts showing actual gameplay. Take a look at the gameplay demo and listen to Bethesda's background narration as they tell what they've done in the game and if you still think that it hurt the game's sales then I feel sorry for you...;)

Skyrim was an exceptionally well-promoted game in advance of its shipping, including demonstrations of actual gameplay, and that is one of the reasons it sold as well as it did from the start--people had a very good idea of what to expect *and they liked it.* But all of this is just common sense. Sure, if you put out a *bad demo* that makes your game appear to be crap--then yea, you can expect it will hurt sales, just like bad game reviews hurt sales. But nobody is talking about *bad* demos, good grief. The assumption is that if a company knows how to make a good game it can make a good demo. Demos are traditional--who buys a car without a demo?--books are constantly promoted by demos by way of sample chapters printed all over the place, movies are constantly demoed and advertised prior to release--nah, the smart money says to create a good demo of your product in advance of its release and you do yourself a big favor. Nobody anywhere is advising the creation of a bad demo that will *hurt* sales--that's just idiotic.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 08:42.

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
25. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 12, 2013, 16:36 WaltC

What he meant to say was:

"If you created a decent demo to highlight your decent game, then you probably sold 2x as many copies as you would have without the demo."

"Seriously, we sold 2x what we would have otherwise?"

"Yup."

The idea that people are going to put ~$50 into a game faster if it has no demo is absurd. What they'll do is bootleg it first to see if they like it and then maybe they'll buy the game later if they do. Only an idiot would think consumers are fooled by the absence of a demo. It's almost like saying, "If your game never gets reviewed you'll sell 2x the number of copies you would have sold with game reviews published." People who think like this are the reason some games don't do as well as they should have. And, demo or review or no, if a game stinks a developer has no right expecting mega sales from it under any conditions. The problem is that people like this think it is possible to "fool" consumers into buying lots and lots of crummy games. They are only fooling themselves.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Q&A
21. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 10:04 WaltC

Verno wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 08:54:
Also the word hater is my candidate for most overused and least understood word of the past year.

I loathe the word "hater"...;) These days you can't simply "dislike" something, or just prefer brand x over brand y, without "hating." Used most by people with small minds, I suppose.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
54. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 20, 2013, 12:12 WaltC

Morga wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 00:44:

Total Annihilation is one of THE BEST real time strategy games in history. A real classic. Chris Taylor is a legend of the games industry.

Well, it's obvious what you think about CT...;) But too many poor choices (like trusting MS to float your boat so you won't have to) through the years are what have created the events leading to this thread. I tried to like TA, I honestly did. Glad you enjoyed it.

Wildman is actually an original and ambitious game where they'll combine best aspects of their previous games, learn from mistakes, and use backer input while producing it.

I read the KS PR notes and watched the videos, too.

I'm not worried about "too short", cause Wildman supports modding so you can make your own game-worlds and game-modes to play for free or sell.

Here's what I imagine: a single-player game long enough and well-written enough to hold my interest for at least 50 hours, and a game that supports mods. That is, if you'd like me to pay $50 for your software. If you want to drop the price to $19.99 as in Torchlight II, I'll go there with you, too, provided the quality is up to Torchlight II standards. I really don't think that is asking too much. I'm hoping this is exactly what GPG does because they'll have a mega-hit on their hands if they do.

News Comments > Chris Taylor on Wildman
2. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 17:57 WaltC

Pretty sure this was covered or linked to in yesterday's GPG story.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
51. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 17:42 WaltC

$1M today to do a full-featured, full-length game is peanuts. If people want to see developing going back to "the garage" then they need to get in behind every effort they see like this that engages their interest. The $45 KS tier still available for this game is absurdly great for the amount of stuff you get for the money. I want to see games reduced in development costs and reduced in price, and supporting this kind of effort is the way to do that. Cutting out the game publisher is a great way to eliminate lots of unnecessary costs.

However, for me, Wildman may not be my first choice--or even in my top ten Kick Starters, regrettably. I was a huge fan of Dungeon Siege (1)--must've played the game through at least three times. Loved it, and especially loved its length--thought it was *right.* (I refuse to spend $40-$50 on a 10-20 hour SP game--I want *at least* 50 hours, and I want an immersive game, too. I'm not easy to please. Can't recall how much time, precisely, I spent playing DS1 through, but it was long enough to satisfy.) Indeed, I still have a modded version of DS1 installed which I fire up from time to time under Win8x64.

Next thing I know Chris Taylor is out there telling the world that their biggest mistake with DS1 was that the game was "too long." "Oh, no", I can remember thinking at the time--"I'm reading GPG's obituary!" Still, when DS2 was released, I bought it anyway--and was disappointed at how far the game design had shrunk back in the other direction--it was short & shallow, and I found it nowhere near as intriguing as DS1. Worse, the game seemed to make no effort to distinguish itself. I was disappointed. I was disappointed with Total Annihilation--such great potential, such poor execution--such an overall disappointment. Same for several other Chris Taylor/GPG game titles I've bought since DS1--well, all of them really. The "less is more" advertising mantra has never worked for me, and probably never will.

I'd like to see GPG and Chris make it. But Wildman honestly looks to me like an idea sketched on the back of a napkin sometime between Christmas 2012 and New Year's day 2013. I wish 'em the best and if and when Wildman ships I might even buy it so long as it isn't another cookie-cutter "half-way" cell-phone game of the kind that seems so popular today. If I never see another such game it will be too soon for me.

Chris: remember what you did *right* with DS1 and strive for that again--"too short" is a far more egregious sin than "too long."

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs
34. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:15 WaltC

Art assets must giganormous and exceptionally varied, meaning we should see very little texture repetition throughout the game...and the heavy use of ram indicates they'll be doing a lot of texture preloading--which is fine by me as I'm in favor of any game that actually makes better use of my eight gigs...;)

One thing that encourages me about this game is that it really has not been overly promoted. Quarterly updates just to keep the game's name in the public venue are fine...it's the games that get splashed in our faces every other day that we have to watch with a great deal of skepticism until shipping day (eg, Diablo3, which I did not buy and never will because of its ridiculous always-on-line requirement made necessary by the game's design--40% client-side, 60% server-side(?) Horrors...What a disappointment that game turned out to be. Torchlight II, otoh, is tons of fun.)

This game has the potential to break like another Skyrim--if the game is just 75% as good as it looks...especially if it is released into a competitive vacuum. Hopefully Irrational has underplayed its cards so far as opposed to overplaying them!

526 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo