Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 409 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving
19. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 09:35 WaltC

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 04:09:
I think I've been unlucky. I've had around 40 CTDs,...

With that many CTD's, your problem is most likely somewhere in here:

Core i7 2600-K (4.6GHz) | HD5970 2GB (910/1200)

It's literally amazing how many people think that overclocking is some kind of guaranteed function of their cpu or gpu. It's not--the only thing guaranteed by the respective manufacturers is the stock clock speed. It's bizarre how overclockers will "protect" that overclock at all costs--and even convince themselves that their overclocks are fine--just because they can boot OK and "other games" run fine, and will cheerfully conclude that their software is as buggy as a termite mound, instead...;)

The fact is that different games exercise different areas of cpu & gpu circuitry in differing ways, which is why some games run like a top when you're overclocked and other games CTD on a regular basis. Best policy? Don't overclock. In fact, until you run your system at stock clocks from the install of your game forward you simply are in no position to know what's a real bug in the software you run and what's going wrong because you are overclocked that otherwise wouldn't.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
50. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 15:10 WaltC

Daggerfall was an absolutely wonderful idea. The problem with it was that a procedural game of that type was, oh, 'bout a decade or more ahead of Bethesda's ability to program it. Also, the SoA in 3d at the time was really primitive compared to what is possible now. If Beth hasn't nailed it by now with Skyrim I doubt they ever will.

Daggerfall sucked primarily because it was so buggy. IIRC, it was patched--officially--about ~17 times or so, and after the last "final" patch Bethesda just gave up on the game. I clearly remember being crestfallen at the time because even though I had hung in there with the patches and the bugs, it was still too buggy for me to finish *after* Bethesda had blessed it with "the final patch."

I'm thinking that Beth hasn't talked that much about this aspect of Skyrim precisely because they don't want to evoke memories of Daggerfall and the fact that it was so buggy that all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Daggerfall together (there's no "again" in this case because at no point was Daggerfall ever "together" in the first place...;))

I think that Bethesda does, however, understand the yearning in the hearts of RPG'ers everywhere for lo-o-o-o-o-o-ooooong games that really "immerse" the player in the game world. I mean, how the hell do some game companies think a player can become "immersed" in a 10-15-hour game--or even a 30-hour game for that matter? That's a sick joke, imo. I think Beth is admirable for shooting for such a high bar in creating an "infinite quest" game engine that is also tied to a concrete storyline with lots of intriguing content--and that sounds like Skyrim. At least, I hope it does.

I'm a little worried by the fact that Beth hasn't (a) produced a demo, or (b) allowed the game to be reviewed ahead of its release. But that may be only because Beth wants to surprise everyone with a 5-star title right out of the gate. I'm certainly hoping it is not because the game is somehow disappointing.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
10. Re: What? Oct 20, 2011, 11:01 WaltC

Darth Guybrush wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 09:48:
The drivers that they used for testing were not shipped with the game is what I understand happened. Bullshit. 3 weeks after launch and nothing?

Am not at all sure what you're talking about. 3d-card drivers, pretty darn near 100% of the time, are not shipped in the same package as the game you buy. Heh...;) There's something massively wrong with a 3d game should it require "special" 3d-card drivers in order to run. If the game developer has done his job then the 3d-card IHV has had his game code a decent interval ahead of the day the game ships, and major problems have been overcome prior to finalizing the code for the version of the game software that initially ships. If game devs don't do it that way, then they they have only themselves to blame when the results are less than optimal, as happened in the case of RAGE.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
6. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 09:15 WaltC

Krovven wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 00:27:

Finally fixed my video problems with Rage. Very sad shame that it took 2 weeks for the proper drivers to come out allowing me to play the game. It really is inexcusable from all three id software, AMD and Bethesda that the game was released without the proper drivers being available.

Don't forget about the patches that id software has made to the game in the last two weeks--still more to come in that department if I recall correctly. Most definitely this was completely id software's fault, all the way around. Ars Technica reviewed the console version of the game and gave it terrible marks, including bad marks for massive texture popping! Don't be mistaken about the game's bugs, graphical and otherwise--they affected all versions of the game to some degree upon release. Those bugs are the fault of no one except the game developer.

If id software doesn't release their code to 3d-card IHVs ahead of time there's no way that either nVidia or AMD could be prepared. Although the game initially ran better on nVidia products, because apparently the only in-house 3d cards id software owns for testing and development are made by nVidia, it was nVidia who initially put out the faq as to how to configure the game to run properly on nVidia products--because the game initially did not run properly on nVidia 3d cards, either..

This should be common sense--it is up to the game developer/publisher to see that a game is relatively bug-free upon release--and nobody else. This means that a developer tests his software and initiates a dialogue with 3d-card IHVs, if necessary, so as to address these kinds of problems *before* the game code is frozen and finalized ahead of shipping. This is also one very good reason AMD has a solid, reliable monthly driver update program--it allows them to constantly stay on top of things to the degree that a game/developer allows them to do so. But even that, as you know, is no defense against a buggy release from a game developer, which is pretty much all that happened here.

Basically, this game had two *separate* issues out of the gate:

(1) Bugs, graphical and otherwise
(2) No attempt by id software was made to differentiate the PC version to take advantage of the "ten times more power" that Carmack states an average PC has over a console.

Carmack went on to cite "budget restraints" as the likely culprit, but the fact is that id software & Bethesda publishing chose to release a version for the PC, thereby enticing people who own PCs to buy the game--so an accommodation to the PC's environment should certainly have been budgeted. Otherwise, the correct release path to have taken was not to release for the PC. (Either do it right or don't do it at all. Doing less is a cheat.)

Last, it may well be that Carmack has shaped his company around consoles and portable devices, and that is fine, of course, as far as it goes. However, there are plenty of companies who do great work for the PC and are suitably rewarded for it--despite Carmack's opinions on the matter. He seems to favor Commander Keen territory, and I certainly won't begrudge his actions if he opts to stay there in the future.

News Comments > Mojang Wins Scrolls Injunction
11. Re: Mojang Wins Scrolls Injunction Oct 18, 2011, 14:36 WaltC

Bodolza wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 13:25:
ELITE wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 13:21:
I just want him to Tweet a running tab of how much money he's blowing on a shitty name.

Maybe it's coming out of the marketing budget, in which case it seems to be money well spent.

Any money paid out to attorneys over idiotic stuff like this is completely wasted. Much, much better to spend your marketing money on advertising--which you'd think would be common sense. The graphics in Minecraft look basically like they were drawn by a 6-year old playing with Lego blocks and crayons. So, there are much better things this would-be entrepreneur could be spending his money on. It's one thing to successfully give away mountains of free software--quite another to interest people in paying for it. Getting into a pissing match with Bethesda, who quite possibly had trademarked the word "scroll" with respect to a computer game before notch was born, is *not* the way to kick off a software career.

If he's got time for this sort of thing, he apparently isn't spending enough time on software development. In the end, his use of the word "scroll" in the title of his game won't mean a thing in comparison with the quality, or lack thereof, of the software he produces. He's shown me nothing yet, but I'm willing to wait and see. Less mouth and more coding is the approach he should take from here on out, imo.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 10, 2011, 10:51 WaltC

Well, I think Apple customers, at least the die-hard "I only buy Apple!" kind, are in the throes of yet another Reality Distortion Field. Like the poster here who thinks that Apple technology touched everything that people use to post to the Internet! I can't think of a single thing I'm using right now to post this message in terms of hardware or software that is the result or an offshoot of Apple products or technology.

Apple fans really do think Jobs was some kind of a saint, come to rid the world of the evil influences of X<insert the name of your least favorite company here>. This kind of melodramatic overreaction to Jobs' death, although everyone knew he had been fighting a losing war against pancreatic cancer for the past seven years, is much the same sort of reaction we might see if a US head of state was assassinated. In this case it is way overblown.

There are many unflattering things I could point out about Jobs' career, things that are unarguable facts of record, but I'm willing to let the bereaved grieve for a bit longer before engaging anyone in that kind of dialog...;) I do think it is early yet to unleash the dogs of hindsight.

Here's a tidbit, though. Jobs' approved biographer has recently revealed what Jobs told him about his reasoning behind allowing an official biography to be written. (paraphrased) "I wanted my children to be able to read about the 'real me' and why it was that I wasn't there for them much of the time. I want them to understand me." Well, the only thought that occurs to me is that during the last seven years of his life Jobs had plenty of time to spend with his children so that they could get to know him.

There is much--very much--about himself that he might've personally shared with his children if he had thought it worthwhile. It seems to me that wanting his children to read about him in a biography written by a stranger is a cop-out of supreme proportions, seeing as how he had a seven-year window of warning as to his mortality--which is a lot more warning than most people ever get. But if you don't believe Jobs' answer here as to why he wanted a biography written--then it's a moot point, anyway.

I'm not at all sure that Jobs was very much of a "people person" or a "children person" at heart, and I thought the tale of how he originally perjured himself in front of a court by claiming he was sterile in order to escape claims that he had impregnated his long-time girl friend was a very telling event. Lots of people behave in this way, and other than the perjury part there's nothing illegal about it.

Jobs was in all respects ordinarily human--not a saint--nowhere close to a saint, and certainly not a "genius" on the order of an Einstein (Jobs didn't compare in the brain department.) And I think that's how Jobs should be remembered--as an ordinary guy who worked hard, lucked out, and was often in the right place at the right time.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
121. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 11:17 WaltC

You read it wrong. He's saying that, if Rage had been PC exclusive, it would have had a much smaller budget, and that he'd rather have the budget to realize his team's vision, even if it means a rough launch like this one.

You can agree or disagree, but at least read what he's saying before doing so.

Something major is out of whack with your reasoning here...;) You believe Carmack states that the PC is "ten times more powerful" than a console, and that to write a game program taking advantage of "ten times more power" would require less money than it did to "reach his team's vision" of a ten-times less powerful game? Heh...;)

I think that what he meant was that he didn't get a large enough budget to take the time and to do the work required to properly address the PC's far more powerful & capable environment. And yet, id software released a PC version of the game anyway, didn't they? I think it's more on the order of Bethesda offering Carmack $10M to do RAGE and Carmack complaining that wasn't enough money to do a proper PC port because of the extra work required. Regardless of the details of the situation, id software put its name on the PC version of the game and allowed Bethesda to ship it anyway, didn't they?

Ordinarily I don't post so much--but Carmack's remarks really burn me up, especially coming as they do *after the fact* of the game's PC release. Hopefully, Bethesda is not being a *ick with refunds...;)

119. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 11:00 WaltC

Zuckuss wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 10:29:
What game devs always fail to realize is that it's PC gamer's wallets that fund the tech evolution that they are able to put into consoles. If we weren't upgrading every 2 years, consoles would suck that much more.

True, and the fact is that even when Blues runs stories about how Valve and EA both, in recent weeks, have gone on record stating that the PC--not the console--is their overall chief revenue driver, some people are so conditioned to thinking that "PC gaming is dead" that they ignore these public statements and continue to support their weird console biases in their posts.

It depends on the publisher and on the developer as to "which platform" is their largest revenue driver. For some it is consoles, for others it is iPhones/Android phones, and for still others it is, and always has been, the PC.

113. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 09:27 WaltC

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 22:44:
Edit : In fairness, after installing the latest AMD driver AND restoring the 8192 tweaks, it seems as if the texture flickering is finally gone. Hurrah.

Creston

Every time I dial in these forums I keep reading the same old crap about it being only a problem for AMD cards--good grief, and how many times does it have to be repeated? nVidia is the company--not AMD--who put out a faq for nVidia users to use the 8192 tweaks so that the damn game would run right on *nVidia* cards! Sheesh. The game might have run *marginally* better on nVidia cards without the 8192 tweaks--but nowhere near how it should have run. Just like the AMD cards. I read post after post on the Steam forums (where I actually first found out about the tweaks) written by nVidia users having horrendous texture pop-in problems and who were also unable to get the game to function in SLI. What's happened is that some nVidia fans have been spreading the word that it's "only ATi products having problems with RAGE" and ATi users, of course not having access to nVidia cards (and apparently unable to read other forums like I was able to do), have believed it! Hook, line, and sinker.

The truth is that the game in its released state sucked for both PC platforms. Also, the console version reviewed by Ars Technica was rife with its own texture pop-in problems to the degree that Ars gave the console version a great big FAIL--and promised to get to the PC version later. Graphical problems weren't the only thing Ars didn't like, of course, but the main point here is that they existed on the console versions, too!

The fact of the matter is that this is a crap game released by a crap company that is trading solely on past-accrued goodwill. The PC is what put Carmack on the map. Yeah, he's a damn sell out, but more than that--he's as friggin' lazy as they come these days--he could have substantially revised the PC version of this game to take advantage of the "ten-times more power" as Carmack puts it, but he's just not interested anymore in doing that level of work. A few years ago, Carmack worked his butt off doing it right for the PC. I guess the truth is that he's pushing up against his limits as a programmer these days. Who the hell is he kidding? Console technology is almost a decade old and the fact that he'd rather program for it than for the "10 times more powerful PC" speaks volumes.

I am so glad I did not buy this game. Maybe in a few years in the bargain bin for $5. Maybe. Or when it hits GoG...;)

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE
16. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 20:50 WaltC

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 20:13:
To be fair, it's hard for AMD to compete when id Software builds in support for nVidia cards via-CUDA based GPU transcoding, while not communicating properly with AMD. I just wonder what the testing procedures were at id Software to overlook something so important, as they had months to get things right. Heck, the game was gold for a month before release.

I don't know the full story but why weren't the AMD drivers that id Software tested the game on simply released with the game? Doing that would have prevented a lot of the problems and negative backlash. It just seems to be an incredibly poor way to do business, both for id and for AMD.

Don't forget that the game was running almost as crummy on nVidia hardware--in fact, it was nVidia that officially released a tweaking FAQ to enable RAGE to run properly on their hardware, too. It doesn't appear that id software tested the game very much if at all on either nVidia or ATi hardware prior to release--which is why, along with the fact that RAGE is obviously a fairly sloppy console port, that I'm skipping RAGE--and I'll keep my gpu, thank ya' vera much...

I mean, if it was really a gang busters, once-in-a-century PC game release that ATi just couldn't handle for some odd reason (I've been running ATi since 2002 and haven't seen that happen yet), then *maybe* I could see dumping my gpu for something else. But RAGE? Heh...;) I'll pass.... I think I'd have to have my head examined for doing something like that.

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
32. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 4, 2011, 10:25 WaltC

When Bethesda contacted us, we offered both to change the name to “Scrolls: <some subtitle>” and to give up the trademark.

This thread is amazing...;) It's like few people even read the sentence above that Blue actually quoted from "notch" on the front page! You know, the sentence in which "notch" actually states he made no effort whatsoever to settle and actually responded to Bethesda by insulting them with an offer to change the name of "Scrolls" to "Scrolls: <some subtitle>" I don't know why Notch simply didn't offer to change the game name to "Scrolls: Elder"...:D

Obviously, "notch" is doing this simply for attention and publicity for his upcoming software release. At this point, though, "notch" hasn't actually done anything Bethesda can sue over, and Bethesda won't have any reason to sue unless "notch" decides to use the word scroll in the title of the game--game isn't out yet and so has no title, of course. I expect that he has no intention of being dragged into court but will remove the word "scrolls" from his game title before it ships. If "notch" had any sense at all he'd know that by far the best publicity for his upcoming game is Minecraft--not some juvenile, public crybaby fest over the use of the word "scrolls" as a the name for a computer game. Everybody knows Bethesda got there first, a long, long time ago.

synonyms for the noun "scroll":

document, manuscript, paper, parchment, scripture, papyrus, file...just for starters. The thing is if notch has any imagination whatever he can easily choose a a name for his game that is original. I can't see the problem there at all. I actually would be embarrassed to have to admit that the most original title for my game that I could conceive was "Scrolls: Something." Minecraft as a game title was only partially original (a take off on War-craft, Star-craft, etc.) He might call this one "Filecraft" or simply "Papyrus" and leave off the "craft." There are a million things he could do aside from moving in on Bethesda's computer-game trademark turf.

Thingaboudet...;)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2011, 16:07 WaltC

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 15:45:
And Windows 8 will never overtake it. There's no way the Enterprise will adopt their stupid Tablet OS.

Creston

Just remember that the tablet UI will not replace or usurp the standard Windows desktop. You'll be able to use either UI--and possibly even some hybrid of the two. The emphasis of late has been on demonstrating the differences that Win 8 will bring as opposed to the similarities with Win7. But I agree with you--the tablet UI does nothing for me, really, so that will not be the reason I buy Win8, should I buy it at all.

I think the thing that is most interesting about Win7 is that it is, aside from its name, literally Vista 2.0...;) It's always funny to read the comments written by people who "hated Vista" but "love Win7," accordingly. I think Microsoft's biggest mistake with Vista was its name--obviously. Had Vista been named Win7 I think it would have been heralded as great success, oddly enough, or had Win7 been called "Vista 2" it would have been heralded as a flop, imo. People really don't like getting away from the "Windows" nomenclature.

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
86. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 14:24 WaltC

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 00:39:
John Carmack doesn't shop at Wal-Mart. I can't believe some people are actually offended by this news.

I thought that was a pretty amusing comment...;) I think it is faulty, though, because John C. probably prefers to shop at WalMart because not only can he usually save an extra 10%-15%, but it is very doubtful anyone at WalMart might ever recognize him.

Reading further into this really funny thread, I see even Blue got roped in here. But it's given me an idea for the next Max Payne game intro:

"I thought it might take a cold day in Hell before we were right, but I was wrong. We're all whores--all of us. Me, Blue, Carmack, Cutter, Fredrickson, and WaltC--all whores, every one of us. Nobody is listening anymore because they can't hear us. Or they won't. And who can blame the poor slobs? Hell, we own it. All of us. Every one of us. Whores. It's too horrible for words. And then I got to thinking about that after I'd downed my last rancid bottle of year-old scotch, what if..."

What'ya think? Eh? I think it has lots of potential.

News Comments > Steam Translations Value Estimate
40. Re: Steam Translations Value Estimate Sep 26, 2011, 08:33 WaltC

This article is so lame. I'll bet the author is one of those people who think that "open source" software is "terrific" because [they thinks] it is created by unpaid volunteers...;)  

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
13. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:09 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:58:
WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:53:

Really? I just yanked out my 5850 to put it in my new box, and put my old 8800GT back in my current one, and games look pretty much the same to me. (other than the fact that ATI has always had better IQ than Nvidia.)

How are these things magically getting better if you've already got the settings maxed out?

Creston

Magically? I don't think there's anything "magical" about the fact that a new DX-11 class gpu renders better IQ than a practically ancient DX9-class gpu. All I can tell you is that the difference was stark to my eyes. Maybe you don't see so well...or maybe it's a difference in monitors...I don't know. But *my* 8800GT is retired, permanently...;) That's all I can tell you.

I mean, there are people who swear to me that the IQ from their old 21" CRT's is better than current LCDs with higher resolution. In all seriousness, the only way I can explain that is to conclude that they are nearly blind...;)

11. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:59 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:52:
necrosis wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:17:
So why do PC versions come out months after their console counterparts again?

Because idiot publishers believe that that will somehow magically lessen piracy.

Creston

Yea, the sentiment about that is crazy...;) I mean, all you have to do is Google or Bing "copying xbox 360 disks" and you'll see pages of "how to's"...;) I was surprised, actually, by how rampant the practice of bootlegging console gaming DVDs apparently is--you'd think it was non-existent listening to some folks.

9. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:53 WaltC

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:30:
Well that and the fact that this is mostly WoW expansion and Facebook games.

I'm honestly quite surprised that NV/ATI are weathering this economic climate, given the fact that 5-year-old 8xxx series hardware still runs most modern games admirably well. I'm still running a pair of 8800GTX's in SLI on my current rig, and I can play *anything* maxxed out in HD resolution.

All I lose out on is tessilation (Oooooo...)

^D^

Heh...;) Keep telling yourself that...;) Or, do what I did and replace your aging 8800GTs with a single inexpensive AMD HD 5770 or 6770--and get ready for some vastly improved graphics. And I don't mean DX11 vs DX9--I'm talking vastly improved DX9 game displays. Until you yank those old ponies out and replace them with something current you simply won't be able to imagine let alone appreciate the difference that will greet you eyes the very first time you game. I was amazed, frankly. Now I am assuming that your current monitor isn't as old hat as your gpus--'cause if you are still doing CRT or you are looking at a 5-year-old LCD display, then I might not bother. Ugh...;) Seriously guy, you are missing a lot, no kidding.

6. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:41 WaltC

I think nVidia is dead on target with these observations. It's difficult to understand why anyone would want to buy a console these days. 15 years ago when a decent PC cost ~$3,000 you could understand why people might want a console for $300. Today, though--there's so much more bang for the buck in a PC that consoles simply no longer are persuasive economically. Buy a console and get the short end of the stick, no doubt about it--grossly underpowered, and often games are overpriced.  

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
47. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 6, 2011, 09:45 WaltC

Surprised it hasn't been brought up, but with the notable exception of Germany, everywhere else in the EU unemployment hovers at ~10%. In the US it's at ~9%, and in the US everyone is freaking over such a high unemployment rate. Traditionally the US hovers at around a ~7% unemployment rate, which is considered "full" employment.

I will have to say, though, that the EU approach to unemployment seems much more civilized than it is in the US. In many states in the US, if a company fires a worker all it has to do is to maintain that the employee "broke a rule" or that somehow it was "the employee's fault" and that employee, even if employeed for decades by the same company--and regardless of current employment conditions elsewhere--is denied unemployment compensation of any kind! There's an appeals process, but mostly it is a joke--I've never heard of a company's decision being overturned on appeal. If they say you screwed up--doesn't matter how minor the infraction may be--you're left with nothing except your resume. I actually knew of a woman employed by the same company for 20 years who was fired and got $0 unemployment compensation in the interim while looking for a new job. I wonder how the EU handles unemployment. Companies in the US have to pay 50% of whatever unemployment award is made to an employee, which is why they have such a say so in the process.

News Comments > Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month?
30. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 12:21 WaltC

Luke wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 09:55:
Ahh 3dfx now THAT was a upgrade back then

Yea--I still miss 'em. The company added a lot of color to the market and today we owe the existence of hardware FSAA to 3dfx (the V5 5.5k being the first product to support FSAA in hardware and GLIDE 3.x being the first Windows 3d API to support FSAA), among many other things. If FSAA had been left up to nVidia--I'm not entirely sure that even today, a decade later, that we'd have it! nVidia fought FSAA tooth & nail, but only for so long as it took them to develop a GPU of their own that would support it properly 3dfx was a gas!...;)

409 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo