Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 552 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
27. Re: dcross@neverwhen.org Dec 9, 2013, 16:55 WaltC

Minuit wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 16:11:
WaltC wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 14:18:
About Valve's shared library thingy--they've already said how that will go. You can share the game with your friend (*one* friend at a time) for *one hour,* after which your friend receives a notice inviting him to also purchase his own copy of the game from Steam. If your friend declines he is cut from the game immediately.

They have also said the opposite. Can you provide some details on this, or is it possible you're confusing Valve with Microsoft or Sony?

Well, the text seems to have changed from my last reading of it...;)I repeated it the way I remembered it from the original announcement. It is still very murky to me. You can share on up to ten devices that you list--but the minute your account is accessed for any game in it, sharing is terminated for all ten devices--or, have I misinterpreted that incorrectly as well? I read it the first time--months ago--to say that if *the shared game* was accessed the borrowing party would find his session terminated. Now I'm hearing that any activity on the main account will terminate the sharing, period. I also distinctly remember something about the "borrower" being asked to purchase the game--after a point--and if not, he's terminated on that session. It's all murky to me--but that's Valve for you (and I like Steam as much as the next guy and own a few dozen steam games.) Newell and company remind me of my wife before I sent her back to the factory for refurbishment--fickle, wishy-washy, and indecisive...;) (Electro-shock is a wonderful palliative--but don't let her hear me saying that!)

I'll wait until the thing is firmed up and available to the public before I make any further comments on it, however.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
14. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 14:18 WaltC

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 12:21:
Steam also has the ability to see how many hours we have into a game, those I returned were under 2 hours each. Technical issues. Just sayin.

Where is the Friends feature that is supposedly coming to Steam? Allowing us to share games with family/friends. That would be super sweet.

Gog is a great bunch of folks. Late one night I bought the wrong game in a series of games--I bought #3 when I meant to buy #4. Problem was I already owned #3! I never downloaded the game, wrote tech support, got a very nice response even though it was the middle of the night there--was asked to supply transaction details which I provided, and six hours later I was provided access to the game I meant to buy, with the mistaken order removed from my community list of Gog-owned games. I then downloaded the game I had originally intended to purchase. I cannot say enough good things about these people--they really go the second mile for the customer.

About Valve's shared library thingy--they've already said how that will go. You can share the game with your friend (*one* friend at a time) for *one hour,* after which your friend receives a notice inviting him to also purchase his own copy of the game from Steam. If your friend declines he is cut from the game immediately. Also, if the friend of yours who owns the Steam game you are sharing for an hour suddenly decides to start playing his copy of the game, you are immediately asked if you'd like to buy it, etc., and then immediately cut off if you decline, in that case, too.

Perhaps you think that is "sweet," but it's the best that Valve or Microsoft or anyone can do under existing copyright law. Someone's idiotic notion that you'll be able to share entire games with up to ten friends--free--with only one of the ten having to buy the game--was never true from the beginning (which is, of course, why it has not happened anywhere.)

I think it's a gimmick, myself--the best you can say about it is that it will provide a sort of game demo for games that ship without demos. I can't see any other benefit beyond that.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
69. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 2, 2013, 09:48 WaltC

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:53:
Most homes don't even have a pc anymore. Even businesses are started to incorporate tablet apps into their business rather than using laptops. So the only market these guys are in right now are old-school pc enthusiasts who are gamers. So their argument is moot. Those of who care already know, and those of us who dropped laptop/desktop for tablet don't care. Most homes who have tablets and smart phones will buy a console for gaming rather than "reverting back" to the 'ol pc. That's if they even care to play games on their tv than their tablet or phone.

Interesting, as I don't know anyone living in a home anywhere in which no PC exists...;) (I know, you pulled that statistic out of...the box your console came in, right?) BTW, people who "drop" PCs for tablets were never actually PC users in the first place, were they? There are no replacements for PCs being manufactured currently, contrary to popular mythology. And it may go over your head, but laptops with real keyboards are still far more useful/desirable than tablets with added keyboards, covers, and all of those other pieces that you have to buy to try and get close to a laptop's functionality.

What's the point? A tablet is only a good buy for someone who just doesn't need a decent keyboard or a personal computer. It doesn't begin to serve as a replacement for one ( no more than cell phones can replace laptops, etc.) I think that by far tablets will be purchased by people who already have at least one PC because, again like cell phones, tablets are not replacements for PCs. Never were.

68. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 2, 2013, 09:32 WaltC

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:18:
Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 11:57:
All this PC power is pointless if it has to struggle with the pool of molasses that is DirectX.

Doesn't the xbone use DirectX as well?

Heh...;) If D3d is molasses, then OpenGL is a tar pit ...;) Funny! If Mantle works, it will make things even better. To be molasses, D3d seems to handle UltraHD to Eyefinity to 4k gaming pretty well. Gosh, that's right--consoles struggle with the molasses of 1080P, don't they?...;)

12. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 12:07 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 10:04:
I want to hear an AMD rep say this.

I understand your point relative to AMD manufacturing the consoles, but still...

Why should anyone have to say it?...;) I mean, isn't it widely known? During the last 25+ years I've never owned a personal computer that has been less powerful or less adept at playing games than any console on the market. That's never changed in all those years.

You don't have to buy a 290x or a 780ti to significantly outperform a PS4 or an xBone...;) Lol! That'd be like swatting a gnat with a nuke...;) These consoles are at best mid-range PCs in terms of their game performance capabilities, and 1080P pretty much is their max (xBone is really a 720P box.) I've haven't gamed at < 1920x1200 (now charmingly called "Ultra HD") in years, and just *try* Eyefinity or 4k resolutions with either of these consoles...fuggedaboudit...;)

Lots of comments lament the lack of backwards compatibility for both consoles--but hey, with a PC not only can you buy what's coming for the consoles (what's worth buying, that is) and have available a lot of content unavailable for either new console--*but* the amazing thing about the PC is that with Windows you get the *last 25 years of gaming content* at your fingertips!!!! That's a *huge* library of games just waiting on the smart PC buyer--(console buyers not admitted.)

Both consoles are extremely limited versus a PC. But, here's the reality: everything I've just said above goes right over the head of the average console buyer...!...:D There you have it: that's why people buy consoles as opposed to PCs--Windows is "too hard" and so forth *chuckle* As long as people exist who have a hard time understanding the difference between a ram chip and a mouse, you're going to have console buyers to keep Microsoft and Sony, and even AMD, happy...;) I don't see that ever changing, actually.

Edit: I thought I'd add that my computers @ home have been AMD/ATi (3dfx, too) powered exclusively since 1999, in case someone might think I wrote this on behalf of nVidia...;) But AMD sells real computers, too--so it's all good...:D

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2013, 12:12.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 13:47 WaltC

Brazor wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 12:27:
For me the surprise is that Rage is on the list. Yeah I know they had that sale, but. I didn't expect it to help.

I think it's possible that the free RAGE downloads this weekend are included in the "bestselling" totals...;)

The most creative game to ever come out of ID....and it still flopped.

In the scheme of things, how id does versus itself really doesn't count for much--it's how id does versus everyone else that's important... "The most creative game ever to come out of id" isn't saying very much, is it?

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
39. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 14:52 WaltC

BitWraith wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 13:19:
The $3,000 gaming PC is a thing of the past, and it is not a valid argument to be thrown around by the console crowd anymore.

I upgraded recently. I got a pile of stuff - an AMD cpu, new case, power supply, RAM - not top of the line stuff but good enough to run crysis three playable at really high settings - all for $250. A really good Nvidia GPU is only $300. For what you're getting (a workhorse machine that does WAY more than a console can), that's a VERY good deal.

If you're buying a PC for $3,000 bucks, it's your fault for getting ripped.

Well, when he talks about "$3,000" observe that he's talking about buying multiple 3d cards costing between $550 and $1k, depending on the card. And of course you're going to need a corresponding number of monitors--or a very big one. So it's pretty easy to hit $3k without being ripped off in the process. His point is only that if you are among the few who have expensive xFire and SLI systems, then his game will actually take advantage of all that power--because very few games (if any) actually do. His other point was that $3k today will buy you a lot more powerful graphics and game hardware than you might have had a decade ago if you had spent a million dollars on a professional, high-end supercomputer system.

He did not say, in any way, shape, or form, that his game was going to require a $3k system...;) He's just not going to dumb-down the game so that it can be run/sold on consoles.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 11, 2013, 19:33 WaltC

DangerDog wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 13:38:
This makes for a good argument against purchasing "season passes" for yet to be released DLC for games.

That can't be much longer playtime then the demo for Bioshock 1, and there's probably at least 15 minutes of cinematic setup before you're actually playing.

Very few people would judge a movie based on how long it is.

Unless we're talking about some sort of action packed short movie experience at an amusement park I don't see people willing to spend $9 to watch a ten minute short film.

Even more, who is going to spend $60 to watch even a blockbuster movie? Very few. Re: none, probably. Game devs should thank their lucky stars that some customers will accept as little as 30 hours of quality game play for $60. Asking anyone to accept a game extension with an absolute outside limit of three hours of play time for $20 is asking for far too much, imo. Again, I say: let Levine release a 9-hour (if you really beat it to death, that is) BioShock game for $60 and see how many takers he'll get.

Valve screwed the pooch with its "Episodic" game play model which it then could not fulfill--we're all still waiting on HL3 and nobody is interested in another episode. Been there, done that--Valve blew the concept out of the water.

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
22. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 11, 2013, 10:48 WaltC

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 08:53:

They come from using Apple products. Only Apple fanbois are this deluded and drunk on kool-aid.

Yes, the RDF Koolaid is still flowing, apparently...;) I once postulated a theory that Mac-branded CRTs/LCDs fire a gamma-ray burst every time a Mac crashes, which effectively wipes the event from the mind of the suffering Apple customer sitting in front of it. Hence, they have no recollection of their Macs ever crashing, etc. Makes a certain kind of sense...;) Something's going on, for sure! Those of us fortunate enough to be standing off to the side when they crash, know better, however.

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
10. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 10, 2013, 23:21 WaltC

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:29:
Ludomancer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 20:27:
DanteUK wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 16:39:
Windows is dying.

Windows is dead and has been for a very long time. Win2k, outside of security problems, was the last version of windows that added anything necessary. Since then it's only been driver support, spyware and unnecessary services, and for some reason those add up to requiring exponentially more RAM and 4GB+ of HDD space to accommodate something that could, and should, exist in a few MB of RAM and used to have <1GB of a footprint. Microsoft has survived on a strategic monopoly since the late 90s. I wish they'd died a lot sooner.

If linux or apple had 100% backward compatibility with the legacy of Windows software, they would easily have claimed the majority of market share by now. I hate Microsoft so much. Despite the wonder of the modern age of computing, I fault them for thousands of hours of lost productivity.

Congrats, that's one of the most retarded statements I've ever read.

I agree--it's right up there near the summit of the "ridiculosity" scale...:) Where do these folks come from? Heh...;)

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 16:27 WaltC

Dagnamit wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 13:58:

The price on the 290 is nothing less than astounding, so much so that I don't see why you'd buy a 290X, ever. In fact, if I'd dropped $550 on a 290X, I'd be pissed.

From the heat, the noise, the convoluted "quiet/uber" fan setting, to what seems to be a GPU that AMD has designed to throttle under load, it's more than a little disturbing. AMD has seemingly thrown everything they have at NV to get the performance crown. I don't see how this model is sustainable. How is AMD turning a profit on these cards?

LoL...;) If I'd bought a Titan @$999 a couple of months ago, I'd really be pissed...;)

Simple--it depends on yields. You can sell a fast performing chip with good yields for a lot less money than you can sell a poor-yielding fast performing gpu. (Like the Titan @ $999. nVIdia doesn't just throw in a good cooler for Titan, it *has* to cool the Titan like that to get any speed and longevity out of it at all. Unlike the R9's, the Titan gpu isn't rated for indefinite operation at 95C.)

The "model is sustainable" simply because it's a better gpu than what nVidia's making at the moment. Why is that surprising? Competition is a wonderful thing, really. It is...;) As far as "heat and noise go," this is a top-end performing card--faster than anything on the planet by a wide margin. There will be AMD partner designs with quieter fans, certainly--but people will be buying cards in the 290 class for performance, compatibility, and reliability first; noise, a very distant second.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 5, 2013, 16:07 WaltC

Boston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 12:54:
Tom's review of 290

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659.html

It also reveals a disturbing fact that their two retail-bought 290X perform significantly worse than the ones AMD cherry-picked for press, and even perform slower than 290 AMD sent to press.

Since none of the cards reviewed at [H] were overclocked--not 290x, 290x crossfire, and not the 290 (three separate [H] reviews)--it looks like TH has once again stuck its foot in mouth...;) Since the days of Dr. Pabst-Blue-Ribbon, TH has been a bit of a nVidia shill, and this stuff simply sounds like they're pissed off they didn't get a review card from AMD, more or less.

[H] has been among AMD's harshest Crossfire critics--before these new cards. Now [H] loves 'em--can't seem to get enough of 'em, it seems like. [H] hands down recommends them over anything nVidia makes. "Cherry picking" refers to cards that overclock better than average--can't say that about card reviews that don't overclock anything, can you?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 4, 2013, 12:44 WaltC

Welcome to 'Merica, where even people who don't know how to spell think they know everything--especially how to run the country...;) But that's free speech, for ya'.

Both of you: the word you meant to use is "affect"..."effect" is something else entirely.

And I really wish you'd explain the difference between a "rich old white guy" and a "rich old black guy" or a "rich old yellow guy," etc., because I'm doggoned if know what it is! (Unless you are a racist, skin color isn't relevant to anything
.)

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2013, 17:45 WaltC

Snowden had taken a sworn oath not to do exactly what he did. The government was paying him to do a job--he wasn't paying the government--he was not in charge. He knew he was breaking his oath and he knew he was committing a felony. It's laughable he thought himself above the law and above his oaths just because he saw things he (a) did not understand and (b) had only partial and incomplete information about--laughable he should think himself the Supreme Ruler of the country such that if he doesn't like something then only he has the authority to change it by blabbing grammar-school nonsense like a child watching too much Spy vs. Spy. Nincompoop.

The kindest thing you can say about the guy is that he's a dunce, imo.

Hope you enjoy Siberia and the Crimea, Snowden, 'cause that's where you'll live out the rest of your life, most likely. Good career move, there, sap. (Unlike Snowden, I know for a fact that the gov has never listened to my phone calls and has no dossier on me--why on earth would anyone except a paranoid whacko think himself so important as to warrant such attention?) The hardest thing for Snowden to face going ahead will be that he is nowhere near as important as he thinks he is. His ego is thrice as tall as he is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 30, 2013, 13:35 WaltC

One day in the distant future it may be that consumers will come to understand that far more often than not you can fairly and accurately judge the quality of a product by the quality and duration of its factory warranties.

Does it make any sense at all for Apple to advertise "long and productive" lifespans for its products and then warranty them for a measly twelve months? Of course not. Apple: the company for people with more money than brains...;) (Some things never change.)

News Comments > The Witcher Sells 6M Units
7. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 11:40 WaltC

CDPR is a great company, I think. All the more so because they've managed so far to hold onto their principles in this dog-eat-dog world..;) They've consistently delivered, long after the initial sale, massive improvements to all of their PC properties that have been free of charge, amazingly. Most other companies either create expensive, overpriced DLC (or just silly DLC) for their shipped products, or else they simply cease all development on their shipped titles and move on. Not CDPR--they keep improving their shipped properties until they get them "right" according to their own internal standards--at no cost to their customers--and only then do they walk away from their titles. I believe as well that CDPR is the engine behind Gog.com--another terrific service.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
74. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 24, 2013, 10:04 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 13:40:
Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 11:36:
Excuse me, there's a little string of drool hanging from my lip that I have to clean up.

Can the final game really look this incredible, and have anything near a playable frame rate? I sure hope so.

One important development aspect to keep in mind is that this is NOT a cross-platform title. So, there's no restriction on what they can do, like there might be with something like a GTA V port. So they can bump up the particles, physics, polys, and textures much more so than if they had that restriction.

Yes, they've stated this is a 4k-optimized game. They are pushing the future of graphics here--excellent. While others go backwards into the ubiquitous mediocrity of consoles, portable cell phones and tablets, guys like these are pushing ahead. It's because of people like this that one day 4k will be affordable for most everyone who wants it.

So far they've raised a bit more than half of what Valve blew through several years ago making HL2. Big deal. I'm hoping this will have a decent single-player component, however.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2013, 19:16 WaltC

On the home box (made up of recent AMD hardware all the way through), went through the 8.0 upgrade from Win7x64 then the 8.1 upgrade from 8.0(about a month ago with the MSDN iso), and this is news to me as I have about 20+ games installed, some brand new, some a couple of years old, and some 15-20 years old--no mouse problems, sound card driver problems, 3d-card driver problems of any kind to report! Gee...uh, what am I doing wro--I mean, right?...;)

The most common mistake people make, imo, is in not going ahead and installing game-specific versions of D3d/DX. The older D3d versions do not overwrite the newer ones, so you can install DX 7/8/8.1/9, if the game calls for it, and the version-specific D3d installer allows it, right into 8.1 with impunity alongside DX10/11/11.x (just as you could do with Win7, etc.) I've found that most of my old Windows games run best when allowed to run in standard 8.1 mode--that is, with compatibility mode turned off completely. (That was somewhat surprising, actually, as in my case 8/8.1 seems more backwards-compatible than I found Win7 to be!)

Another "secret" about 8/8.1 that too many folks know nothing about is that use of the so-called "Metro" user interface (that we all love to hate) is entirely optional, and you don't even have to use the Start Screen to launch programs if you use a freeware Start Menu program such as the one in Classic Shell (version 4.0 is excellent--best version of the program yet. Lets you completely disable all of the 8/8.1 desktop hotspots & even the side-bar charms completely if you like.) You can run everything right from the desktop exactly like Win7--only I honestly find Win8/8.1 to be better than 7--it's faster, leaner, and has a few killer features 7 didn't have--such as the auto-mounting of iso's! No more programs needed like Daemon Tools and so forth.

I never see Metro--ever. Oh, it's there if I want to dig it out, but why should I? Microsoft does its level best not to tell people that Metro is optional, and that aside from the lack of a start menu the full Explorer.exe user interface in Win7 is present and accounted for in 8/8.1. Microsoft has been doing really strange things all year, but this omission amounts to one of the strangest. You'd think they'd *want* the huge desktop market to buy a lot more of Win8, wouldn't you?

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
7. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 20, 2013, 15:02 WaltC

Kajetan wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 13:38:
Anyone remember Dungeon Siege 1? After slaying the final boss, a simple text screen appears which says something like: "Congrats, now play multiplayer and fuck off, we dont had time for a nifty ending!"

You *have* to mean Dungeon Siege 2--LOL...;) DS1 was a hell of a long, great single-player game--at least 50 hours through, IIRC. After 1, I knew GPG was headed down the wrong path when the company out of the blue announced it thought it had given its customers too much game for their money and pledged to "make this right" by selling us much shorter games for the same price! Yep, that's what everyone wants--less for more. Sure.

I was unimpressed and disappointed with DS2, whereas I loved DS1 at the time. Poor GPG. Now an historical footnote instead of the great, very successful company that it could have been had it not been for that sort of wrong-headed attitude.

Dark Matter--I find it it incredible that a company could put out a measly 4-hour game with a text-page ending and think it was justified in selling it for $15. I've played longer demos. Contrast DM with Torchlight 2, for instance, a decently long game (far, far more content than DM and 3d-accelerated, too) selling for $19.99 from day 1. I had to really laugh when I read that the DM developers considered a 12-16 hour game to be a really "long" game. I think what they meant was that such a game would take them a really, really "long" time to develop, even a side-scrolling 2d game like DM...;)

What puzzles me is how the thing got on Steam...? The KS failed by a long shot--which should have told the developers something--but apparently didn't. Then they "ran out of money." It's kind of difficult to sympathize with folks buying a failed KS game project, except for the fact that Steam selling it created a favorable atmosphere around the game that was undeserved. Still, don't people wait until reviews are published before buying games any more? Caveat Emptor, etc.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 11:35 WaltC

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 11:05:
And I'm sorry, but the "average pledge" doesn't mean anything in this case... It would be just as easy for them to do 10,000 fake $100 pledges in their system versus 10 $100,000 pledges or 1 $1,000,000 pledge. Kickstarter acts as an unbiased third-party that helps investigate such fraud, but when they're running their own website and handling all the money directly, they can easily make shit up.

The problem is that you haven't explained what the benefit is in taking investor money and falsely calling it crowd funding. In order for them to want to do as you suggested there'd have to be a sizable benefit involved--but what?...;) I can't think of any. If it *was* investor money, for instance, why wouldn't they simply say so? And if it *was* investor money then they'd be under a lot more pressure, instead of less, to complete a successful game--'cause if they didn't then the "real investors" ***cough*** would fall on them like a ton of bricks! You aren't making any sense.

You guys have to get your motives sorted out before spinning your theories, otherwise it's just silly...;)

552 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo