Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 420 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads
24. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:12 WaltC

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:56:
When it's 75% off on Steam, please let me know. In the meantime I picked this up earlier this year for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JQ064A

This is probably a word to the wise, and I don't think even applies to the original BG1, anyway...but just in case you aren't aware of it--as I wasn't initially--when Amazon game descriptions say "Win7 compatible" in the description, what they are usually always talking about with much older games is "Win 7 x86" compatible, because these are 16-bit Windows games that will run fine on Win7 x86 but *won't run at all--won't even install* on Win7 x64 systems.

I kicked myself after it happened to me--I should have known better--but I ordered a couple of old games from Amazon like this for my wife that were supposed to be "Win 7 compatible"--but of course were completely incompatible with Win7 x64. I could have installed Win7 x86 for my wife so that she could run the games, but I really did not feel like rebuilding her entire system just to do that. Besides, < than 64-bit OSes are retrograde these days.

Like I say--you probably already know this so this isn't directed at you--but it's for the folks who even with a lot of knowledge and experience have the occasional brain fart and *simply forget* that a 32-bit edition of Win7 ever existed--people like me...;)

Beamdog's situation surely overcomes this major limitation and can be recommended on that score, and would certainly, I think, be vastly superior to an original copy of BG1, even one running under Win7x64 (because IIRC it won't run well even when you get it running under x64.)

However, I still recommend buying the games from Gog and using EasyTutu for a total of $10 invested for personal computers running Vista/Win7/8 x64. BG1 is just much better delivered by the BGII engine, imo.

As another poster reminded me, the Beamdog game is attractive to people running and enjoying hand-held devices--not only that, but for them the game is cheaper, too, ($10 vs. $20.) It's a bit ironic, as the raw computational power of handhelds today is roughly analogous to the state of personal computers fifteen years ago, so in some respects that's an interesting match. Sort of...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:45 WaltC

Sho wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:08:
There's more modding than that you need to do. On Vista and newer, the Infinity engine runs like shit and displays graphical glitches on nVidia systems, so you need that dubious zip with the hacked-up DirectX DLLs to fix the accel. Then there is the mod to run the BG1 content on the BG2 engine to enjoy its improvements. And fixpacks. It's my understanding the EE is a superset of all these things done properly (e.g. fixing the nVidia issue on the engine level and recoding the glitchy fog of war, which indeed also looks generally nicer in the trailer) plus more, like some cleaned-up assets. Seems like a decent deal and a time-saver to me.

What I am most excited about is the Android port though. I never would have expected it - never had an interest in handhelds - but since playing the Broken Sword DC and Machinarium on my Android tablet I have realized I really enjoy some bedtime-gaming on these things. If they pull off a good touch UI I will be so all over this ...

Using EasyTutu to play BG1 using the BGII engine (and under Win7/8 x64, I might add) greatly improves on the BG1 experience, imo. And, as the name implies, EasyTutu is *very* easy to use and install. The BGII engine is just so much better than the original BG engine. One of the main improvements that is immediately noticeable is that the BGII engine greatly expands the size of the game-play area onscreen. It eliminates those gigantic text areas (containing tiny little bits of text) that the BG1 engine is known for...;) No strikes against the BG1 engine, though--that sort of thing was necessary at the time BG1 shipped because the gpu horsepower needed for larger game-play screen square footage just wasn't available.

I appreciate what Beamdog is doing, but they'll need to sell me on why I shouldn't just use EasyTutu (or buy BG1 &2 from Gog for $10 and then use EasyTutu, if I don't already own the BG1 & 2 titles.) So far, I haven't been sold. BG1 EasyTutu, along with a few free-of-charge mods, is a pretty darn nice BG1 experience...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:17 WaltC

Question is, how will it stand up to Easy Tutu (Balder's Gate 1 with the BG II engine, for those not in the know)?

IMO, at the moment, Widescreen EasyTutu BG 1 is the one to beat.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 WaltC

That is exactly what my doctor told me about twenty years ago--before I quit smoking 17 years ago--he said, "You've got the metabolism of a high-altitude runner," which I thought was pretty good until he explained it...;) My blood was carrying an over abundance of hemoglobin--the stuff that carries oxygen--very much like a high-altitude runner's blood would produce. But in my case, the extra hemoglobin was there as my body's way of combating all the noxious fumes I was putting into my blood via cigarette smoke.

I don't get a sense from you that you ever smoked, so our cases are much different...;) Still, you might want to ask your doctor what he means because if as in my case he's talking about an overabundance of hemoglobin in your blood and you do not smoke, then it's possible there is something else in your immediate environment that is causing you to produce more than an an average amount of hemoglobin. Then, too, I wonder if perhaps you live at a somewhat high altitude to begin with--say, in a mountainous region?

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
59. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 21:20 WaltC

DDI wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:02:
So much crazy in here. Windows Desktop environment will not go away for a long time. Even Windows RT still has the desktop environment. The new Start Menu is far faster to navigate than the old one, even with a mouse. There is a shit ton of data to back it up.

DADES loves to spread the FUD. You can run the same exact certification tests before you submit the app so you aren't wasting time waiting for feedback. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694081.aspx

The price for an individual to publish apps to the store (which you do not need to install your own apps) is $50 a year. Big fucking deal. If can't swing the $50 then make it a desktop app and get a real fucking job that gives lets you earn more than $50 a year. Apple is $100 year. Microsoft's 30% cut goes down to 20% once your app hits 25k of revenue, unlike Google or Apple where its 30% indefinitely.

In Newell's case, he always has an ulterior reason for some of the crap he spews--he *knows* that Ubuntu 12.04 gaming business will not even come close to supporting Valve--yet he pretends it is some kind of alternative to Windows. Steam has no alternative to Windows--Linux and OS X combined wouldn't put a dent in Steam's bottom line. Take Windows game revenue out of Valve tomorrow and Valve is dead tomorrow. Newell knows this like the back of his hand.

I think what Gabe is really doing, and he rarely does anything in a straightforward manner, is a publicity stunt based on Win8 in trying to attract more OS X and Linux users to Steam. Beating the "Windows will destroy us all" drum is already a drumbeat which Linux and OS X proponents groove on, so Gabe is beating that drum to get them to come in and take a much closer look at Steam than they've ever done. What's the one major piece of hardware OS X users and Ubuntu 12.04 users have in common? Why, it's their computers, of course--as both can run and boot Windows natively in addition to Ubuntu and OS X.

Gabe is doing a bait & switch--he's getting them in to look at Ubuntu and OS X gaming, but what he's really doing is exposing both of them to the truly massive Windows game library Steam offers that dwarfs everything else Steam sells. So Valve baits the Linux guys by investing in one or two Ubuntu game titles and hopes they'll want a lot more games and start dual-booting (if they already aren't doing so) and start buying them. Valve has 0 plans to port its Windows games library to Ubuntu 12.04, btw...;) That would be a prohibitively expensive proposition even for Intel.

Could Gabe Newell be so ignorant as to believe that Ubuntu 12.04 is some kind of financial savior for Steam, in the event that Microsoft decides to cash in its chips in the near future? Of course not! He'd have to be a dunce to believe that...;) He's no dunce, so he's doing something else.

WinRT is an upcoming development platform for several upcoming Windows segments; x86 being the largest by a gargantuan degree. WindowsRT is an *upcoming ARM-based product* (line) which may, or may not, succeed to any degree. All I can say is that if Newell or Croteam or anyone else thinks that Microsoft is going to shut down open Windows x86 to try and force people into a closed WindowsRT product line--then Microsoft has gone as mad as a hatter.

I do not think that Microsoft has flipped its lid. Rather, it's hedging its bets and attacking the future from a variety of angles so as to be prepared for *anything* that may prove to be a trend in several years, even if that trend is much different than what we're all used to.

My bet is that if anything the software market will be even freer and more open than what we are used to today, and the closed systems--the iOSes and the WindowsRT product lines--will become historical footnotes. Indeed, even the product lines themselves may no longer support the emerging form factors that they do today like iPads and Surface and what not. It's entirely plausible that new form factors will emerge that prove more popular and functional so that in a decade people will scratch their heads and say, "Remember those old tablet thingamagigees? Whatever happened to them, btw?"

Now, I'm not saying *categorically* that Microsoft hasn't gone clinically insane...because I can't prove it, either way...;) But what I am saying is that I'll *bet you good money* Microsoft hasn't gone bonkers, though, and that there's a method to this madness that has nothing to do with walled gardens of the Apple variety.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2012, 04:56 WaltC

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 16:46:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 14:03:
Think about it. They literally tried to claim that they invented a "rectangle shape with rounded corners".

Think about this: in the US they actually fucking won on that premise!

The premise they "won" on in the jury trial was the premise of jurors willing to ignore the judge's instructions in order to defer to the jury "foreman" who had an ax to grind with Samsung that he willfully did not disclose even after being asked point-blank about it by the Judge ahead of time. The issue is currently being appealed and as such Apple hasn't yet "won" anything. I'll be very surprised if the verdict is allowed to stand. Groklaw has some fascinating reporting on the topic--to him it looks very much as if the jury foreman lied in order to secure a place on the jury for himself in order to exact his "revenge" against Samsung for imagined slights years ago. Bizarre goings on.

News Comments > GOG.com Adds OS X Games
11. Bootcamp only real answer Oct 19, 2012, 01:37 WaltC

Such a strange announcement, although I imagine a very inexpensive one to make from their perspective. If it doesn't pan out, it's little ventured and little gained or lost for Gog. The OS X games are OpenGL ports of D3d Windows games, often published six-months to three years after the original Windows D3d game titles ship. Even the handful of new games that are Win7 & OS X simultaneous shipments ROOB are still OS X ports of the Windows D3d authentic games. With the highest-quality OS X ports there will still be stuff missing from the original Windows games--still be inferior ports, as a result. And as the rule, not the exception.

Seems like a brain-dead announcement from Gog (or Steam, for that matter.) What makes sense--a truckload of solid, common sense, though, is for Gog to produce, if necessary, OS X-oriented "tutorials" to bring Mac owners up-to-speed on the marvelous Bootcamp software Apple includes free of charge inside OS X! With Bootcamp--the Mac game player is forced to accept no compromises, no second-best code and configurations! Bootcamp is not an emulator, and it simply automates and dumbs-down the Windows installation process for the n00bish OS X game player who--let's face it--is a n00b in every sense of the word else he'd have passed up a Mac long ago. (We were all n00bs once, and those of us who lived and learned did so because we listened to the advice of our much more knowledgeable peers.)

Be that as it may--the Mac *is* a PC and so it will natively support Windows & OS X in a dual-boot configuration which allows the Mac user to get the most out of both OS X & Windows. With Bootcamp, all of the major and minor D3d Windows games are available *now* & *today*--no waiting on OpenGL ports that may never come! No waiting and nail-biting and hand-wringing and incessant, cry-baby complaining! Mac users need to take the bull by the horns and use their Mac just like the x86, 100% IBM-PC compatible clone it is!

Going the native Windows route and using Bootcamp is so obviously the *preferred* method of running Windows games on today's x86 Mac PCs, that I really wonder at the motive of those who would even suggest that Mac owners take the passive approach and simply wait and beg and cry for OS X OpenGL ports of Windows' x86 D3d 3d games!

Waiting on OS X games to port over is a waste of time. Booting your Mac via Windows *natively* (NO software emulation of any kind!) is the way to go for the kind of instant gratification most game players want! The game ships today for Windows and it's a blockbuster! I want the game now and I have a Mac. I don't want to wait. Simple.

Run Bootcamp now and have it all now!

To passively wait and hope for an inferior OpenGL port *in the months/years* ahead is to go the OS X route. That sucks, frankly. Very bad, bad, bad advice.

Bottom line: you have a modern Mac and you love PC games and you want to play them in their original forms *when they ship*! Aside from Bootcamp you have only one more option! Sell your Mac, buy or build a decent Windows clone, and run your games & your productivity software now. Immediately.

Basically put: if you buy a Mac based on the hyperbole you've heard about "Macs and games" you are being fleeced and suckered. Either buy your Mac and go 100% Bootcamp and run your Windows games natively on your Mac--or else don't buy a Mac at all and save yourself enormous problems and frustrations as time moves on.

"PC Games" and "OS X" are an oxymoron. "PC Games" and "a Mac" is a marriage made in heaven. The key is Bootcamp/Windows. The kicker is that Apple provides Bootcamp free for all Mac users--but stupidly, stubbornly enough, they'd rather wait on pie-in-the-sky, inferior, OpenGL ports of the games they want to play, while just hoping against hope that one day there *will be* such a port of their favorites game available for OS X.

Again--problem is not the Mac--it's OS X. And yet OS X includes Bootcamp so that no Mac owner need stand around with his hands in his pocket whining for the day when his favorite Windows game gets ported to OS X--if ever!

Bottom line: if you buy a Mac to begin with then don't forget that your Mac is as much a Windows box as it is an OS X box--but you cannot get the benefits from the Windows software the Mac will run natively under Windows if you don't install and run Windows on your Mac!

Can it be any simpler? I cannot see how. Good luck!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 13:21 WaltC

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:18:
It is good to see Kaspersky still on top. It goes on sale quiet often in the local BestBuy for $20 for the 3 computer license, so it is cheap to keep the PCs protected.

I for one would like to know the specifics of how they tested (methodology) and what criteria they used. It seems suspicious to me that MSE would drop from first place into last place--the last evaluations I saw put MSE right up there with K or S. And, I've been using it for years and have never had a problem with it. MSE is free, of course, while the other products cost money. That strikes me as plenty of motivation on the parts of K or S to fund "evaluations" that put the free contender in last place...;)

According to Microsoft, though, Win8 security will exceed Win7 + MSE security ROOB. I believe I'll trust Microsoft to keep its OSes secure, as opposed to S or K. The motivation of Microsoft is to keep its OSes secure, whereas the motivation for S and K is to keep Windows insecure. That's ironic, and exactly why I'll trust Microsoft on the issue of security.

Also, don't know about K, but S is infamous for false positives that actually crash the OS--even as difficult as that is these days. No thanks.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 19:48 WaltC

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:27:

Why would it depend on difficulty level?
Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

I bought all of the originals (when they were newly released) and played the crap out of them. One of the greatest things about the originals--I thought--was the truly creepy, other-wordly, music played behind the turn-based combat sequences. I loved that music, and I loved that atmosphere! I downloaded and played the demo of the new game and it looks like a lot of fun, but in the one battle sequence I've played through in the demo (don't know how large the demo is, really) the background music and sound effects sounded much more like Rap-meets-Disco-Meets-New Age. That spine-tingling creepiness of the original wasn't there in the demo. Demo seemed fun, though, and true to some aspects of the game.

But I've always wondered why, if you are going to spend the money to acquire the IP and develop the game--why wouldn't you, couldn't you use the *original* combat sound tracks for the game? To my knowledge, no one attempting remakes of the series has ever done that and it has always mystified me. That creepy music during those periods heightened the tension and really transported to the player into an unearthly scenario. IE, it really creeped the player out--which is what made it so much fun for me and the millions of other people who've played the originals since.

Has anyone mentioned whether the game ever gets that right? It's hard to understand how a remake could miss that key element in the original games.

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
61. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 19:29 WaltC

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:26:
Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:34:
Deus Ex: HR being a recent example.

Funny, I'd say DE:HR was one of the best games ever made.

Creston

OK, look--time to get serious. Everyone knows that the best game ever made was Might & Magic VI. Right? Right. 'Cause I'm like playing it through right now again for probably the 10th time...;)

Just thought we should should clear the air about this...M&M VI has yet to be surpassed. Tarzan and the Tree Monkeys from Mt. Doom came close--but no cigar.

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo
14. Re: Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Demo Oct 5, 2012, 16:40 WaltC

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 03:29:
I was a huge fan of the original on Amiga. I bought into the beta of this one because I really wanted to support it. Might be the last Bohemia Interactive game I buy. Who the FUCK do they have developing their games these days? Fucking piece of shit. Shit controls, shit gameplay, shit AI, shit everything. Fucking idiots..... Just idiots....

If you hadn't mentioned the Amiga version, I would have...;) Fond memories of the game--so so cool to get camera views from planes, the carrier, ground units, etc. I don't recall much more about it than that, really, except that it was fun and kind of unique. It's too bad this game doesn't measure up--ah, back in those days you had to low-level program to make anything happen--these days everything is so high-level it often seems like there's a mile between code command and the hardware...! Think they can patch it up by Christmas?

Edit: Tried to run it five times after install in Win7x64--installed in admin mode, btw. Tried to run in both normal and admin mode, in both Win7 & WinXP SP3 mode--locks up every time before opening the main campaign--have to alt-ctrl-dlt to get out of it as I can't even alt-TAB to get out of it when it locks. Tried changing the "W" in the key bindings twice, to the up-arrow key--locked up both times at that point. Yea, if the demo is this bad I shudder to think what the game must be like. How could they put something like this out for distribution? It's a real shame.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 18:16.

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
71. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 22, 2012, 05:15 WaltC

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 01:07:
I think a major reason TLII reminds people so much of Diablo 2 aside from the obvious being the same genre type of game, is it's like the ripped half the music and sound effects right from Diablo 2. Seriously listen to the musical arrangement during act 1, It's like a rearranged Diablo 2 Act 1 with some of the melody actually identical in spots.

Same thing with alot of the spell sounds/contact sounds, pretty much identical to Diablo 2. It's like after these guys got the axe at Blizz north they took the source code for D2 with em to reuse later.

At any rate for 20 bucks it's not bad. Visually it's terrible but eh it's a budget game.

You are exactly right! But what always seems to be forgotten in these discussions is that Runic consists of many developers who have already proven themselves by helping to create many games before T1 and T2. Runic may be an "indie" company, but it isn't staffed by "indie developers" by a long shot...;) The Runic developers include three developers, I believe, who originally founded Blizzard North and were on the development teams for both D1 and D2...! So, if anyone has the know-how and the ethical right to develop a game very similar spiritually to D2 and D2, it would be Runic, imo.

I really doubt there's a single song in the entire T2 sound track that directly copies and rips off a song or songs from the original games (that would be copyright infringement)--but what I think they've done is simply imitated the *style* of the music in D2 for T2, as opposed to the music itself, note for note. As for the sound effects--I noticed that they are similar, but certainly a bit different from the D2 sound effects. Even so, you are right in that both the sound track and sound effects scream "Diablo 2"!

It is very effective and it does put one in the "Diablo 2" mood...if such a thing actually exists..;) For some reason, D2 was perceived as a unique and highly original game at its release; so unique that lots of people who played T2 could instantly recognize the style of the music and sound effects as coming directly from the original two Diablo games. Considering how long it has been since I played Diablo 2, I think it's remarkable that we remember those games so well! There are dozens of good games I own or have owned and played over the years that I would be hard-pressed to identify by their sound tracks and sound effects, even though I may have loved the games! That's a great tribute to the earlier Diablo games--that we recall them so well.

I don't know what you mean about "terrible graphics"--they look very nice to me. The only graphics I did not care for were the cut-scenes (a different style from the game's art)--but at least they don't interfere with the gameplay. Aside from that it's the gameplay that I cherish most in a game--any game--and T2 brings that home dramatically. I think the game graphics are fine.

Four things I don't like about Diablo 3 that T2 handled far better:

*$20 is a great price for a new game--any game--if the game is any good, that is. (If a game is poor then even $20 MSRPs won't help it sell.) Not only is the cost light on our pocketbooks, it also will mean Runic will earn far more money than would have been true had they tried to get $60 a pop, because they will sell many more copies and also because of the very reasonable price tag, the game will be pirated far less than would have been the case at $60 a pop.

*Always-on Internet connection required even for the single-player version of Diablo 3. Terrible management strategy decision. T2 single player doesn't even look at the Internet...;)

*No modding allowed in D3--at all, whatsoever. Horrible management decision. As an example, Skyrim wouldn't be half the game that it is without the community mods that have flourished for the game. T2 will, of course, allow and encourage modders, but D3 will not allo community mods.

*the Auction Houses. In rpgs, even arpgs, the idea is to uncover special, really cool weapons and armor, among other things, in the very natural act of simply playing the game and exploring! The auction houses cheapen this concept if they do not downright hurt the game itself. I can't believe, knowing that, that some people would actually rather fork over *real money* to an AH to secure certain virtual items, instead of playing the game and finding them themselves--seems to me to be pretty much a kind of cheat that Blizzard has created in the game. Less objectionable is the second AH, because it only deals in in-game gold. But, no matter, it still takes exotic "loot" out of the game and puts in an Auction House. How can that not hurt the game?

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
69. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 22, 2012, 00:59 WaltC

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 10:10:

Extremely polished, Extremely worth not $20, but $60.

Actually, I wish you wouldn't say that...;) It just shows how you've become conditioned to think that "$60" is "the right price" to pay for a game of decent to outstanding quality. I think Runic has got it right, though, because in charging $20 they are bound to sell many more copies than they would have sold at $60, and so they are bound to make a lot more money with the game than they would have at a $60 per-copy MSRP. Piracy will be greatly reduced, too, from what it would have been with a $60 MSRP. People have got to quit responding like Pavlov's dogs when they hear a bell...;) Runic is ahead of the curve with their pricing metrics--they've got the right approach where so many game developers don't have a clue--which is a pity for them and us.

The musical Soundtrack is so effing beautiful, it is actually overpowering to this cartoony like game, to a point, but I shall let it play in TL2, and never ever bring that into Diablo3, shame on those that consider this.

I was very pleased about the fact that the game itself doesn't look "cartoonish" at all! The cut-scenes are all cartoon, though, but thankfully they aren't worth our attention in the scheme of the game.

the isometric view is zoomed out a touch at 1080p, but it is a very welcomed change, albeit the small monster appearance, I haven't seen the rest, but so far they looked a little translucent

Use the mouse wheel and zoom in about as close as you like. Apparently, you haven't done that yet. I'm playing at 1920x1200 and the resolution *and* the UI scale beautifully--you can even scale the UI independently of the game--I found that at my resolution 80% scaling on the UI is perfect for me.

edit: Forgot to say my favorite part, this game is like Dungeon Seige 1 , but so much better! THANK YOU FOR THIS!

Dungeon Siege had far more of story than T2, and wasn't particularly Diablo1/2-like at all, but I love T2 because it reminds me so much of D2 which I thoroughly enjoyed on my 3dfx V3, IIRC...;) I love the music and the atmosphere of T2.

The one thing I recall about Dungeon Siege was that you could rotate the camera on the x axis 360-degrees around your character/party--you couldn't rotate on the Y axis completely--but it made Dungeon Siege seem a lot closer to a real 3d game than the frozen isometric view that T1 and T2, and probably D2, as well, are limited to.

Thanks for reminding me that the next "old" game I'll have to buy when it comes out--say on GoG.com--is the original Dungeon Siege. I think it was the best in the series, and that the franchise went downhill quickly after the first one.

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
65. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 20:42 WaltC

Downloading at the moment, but am still confused on the qualitative/quantitative differences between Black Mesa and Half-Life Source...? Like, for instance, what makes this better than HL Source?

(Edited for clarity)

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2012, 20:51.

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
53. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 23:03 WaltC

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:42:
nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:38:
It's a free mod...try and sound a little more entitled, ok?

Typical apologist reply right there. Try to sound a little less cliched, ok? Next you're going to claim I know nothing about taking on a huge modding project. I dare you.

Eight years and it's not finished.

Apologist?...;) What are you smokin'? Like he said, this game mod is *free*--rather than complaining, you should be grateful they are developing it and allowing you to play it for absolutely nothing in return. Of course, you need not play it at all if you don't choose to.

I don't care if it's been 20 years and *not finished*...;) It's a friggin' mod, and it's *free.* What's not to like?

You'd be wise to learn meaning of ancient Chinese proverb: "He who look Gift Horse in Mouth Usually Is Eaten by Same" Here's another that goes with it, I think: "He who buys xBox has bitter mouth because he has no mods" And one more: "He who has no Steam account is like angry old woman with no shoes who walks on hot coals"...

Is that your particular problem? You sound pretty bitter about something--but somehow, complaining about a free game mod as if you'd paid a bundle for it and you'd like a refund is particularly unconvincing, strange, and bizarre.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Next Month
53. Re: Torchlight 2 Next Month Sep 1, 2012, 00:54 WaltC

WarpCrow wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:55:
InBlack wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:20:
I tried GW2 at my store today. Aside from the pretty graphics it plays and feels exactly like WoW. Somehow I thought it was going to be more Diablo-esque. Oh well.

I'm not sure how you got that impression. They're utterly different games in many ways; they just happen to belong to the same genre. It's a bit like saying BF3 and CoD feel exactly the same because they're both multiplayer FPS with a leveling system and a similar setting.

Torchlight surprised the heck out of me in how much like Diablo 2 it was/is--the music, the pacing, the voicing--almost everything--it's D2 down to its nubs...;) I liked Torchlight for that because it brought back great memories of D2 so long ago...I was very disappointed to see that D3 was Diablo in name only--didn't buy it and won't play it as I'm no pirate. There's only one thing I hate more than "always online" game designs (because Murphy's Law will always manage to screw things up), and that's...

Cartoon computer games! Argghghghghggjh! Aiyee-ee-e! Ugh-up-chuck! Eeeeeoooowwww!

From what little I've seen of T2 up to now I'm not sure if it's a cartoon or it isn't. T1 definitely wasn't. I did look at an early trailer for T2, and like Borderlands it looks (to me) ridiculously cartoonish--a style I really hate in computer games because it makes me feel as if I am being pandered to in the worst way: as if I am a baby doing a number in my swaddled diapers who still gets a kick out of the Cartoon Network, worships Sponge Bob, and sniffs his tightly clenched, fragrant "boo blanket" while sucking and gnawing his thumb down to the bone!...;)

That's a bit over the top, I know, but I really don't like the cartoon style in computer-game artwork--it very nearly offends me, and that's saying something because I am not easily offended at all. It's like "Wot? You want me to buy this tot's toy, this "play Army" cartoon crammed full of utterly unbelievable explosions in the name of pumping up 'PhysX' while deflating the player's gray matter--you want me to buy that? Wot's that? And you want me to pay $50 for the privilege?" "OK, tell you what...I think I can reach my shotgun in the den inside my locked gun display case in about...oh, 12.657 seconds, as mad as you've made me, because I have the key in my hand right now and the gun is loaded!" (Bad policy, I know.) "So I think if you start right now you can make the door and clear the yard before my artificially rusted and poisoned buckshot penetrates your--" (The guy is gone in a flash and I relax thinking how close I came to doing something really stoopid!)

So you see where I am on Borderlands. I hope that T2 is no cartoon and carries on in the inimitable style of D2 and Torchlight! I pray that Travis has resisted the urge to ruin his franchise by making it all "new and improved"! So new and improved, in fact, that it doesn't resemble his other games, which are sacred and revered.

Let us pray for sanity and depth among game developers. I curse thee, cartoon, and consign thee to the lowest level of hell's hottest dungeons where you shall dwell in great, steaming piles of baby poop until you are dead.

(Gosh, I'm emotional about this, I guess)

News Comments > Broken Sword Kickstarter
20. Re: Broken Sword Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 12:43 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:50:
The hero is a lawyer? Pass.

It's OK. He's been disbarred.

News Comments > I Am Alive PC Edition Lives
27. Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives Aug 24, 2012, 10:42 WaltC

I can go to GoG and buy ~20-year-old, AAA titles that require at least 50 hours to complete for $5-$10--damn good games--and these guys are peddling 3 hours of game play for $15? Are they insane? That's demo material! No wonder these Ubi folks are so screwed up when it comes to computer games--they have no clue. They have to be some of the dumbest adults in the industry--*are* they adults? It doesn't sound like that.

News Comments > Project Copernicus Footage; Details
12. Re: Project Copernicus Footage; Details Aug 23, 2012, 10:16 WaltC

Agreed there was no fraud. The state invested money in a private company in a bid to bring in jobs and that is what the state got. There are no guarantees in business--just ask the Obama administration about Solyndra and solar power...;) (How would you like to have to own up to losing .5 billion dollars of Federal taxpayer money?) By contrast to what the Federal government throws away each year, 38 Studios was peanuts.

But there's the irony...there's no guarantee in business, but without successful business there is no money to pay the taxes that government itself needs to stay solvent--of course, our Federal government hasn't been exactly "solvent" in many decades. If you or I handled our finances the same way that government handles its finances, we'd be in jail, most likely. Why is it that government is able to write bad checks whenever it likes (called deficit spending in gov speak) but you and I cannot?

Anyway, I have to agree with those who see nothing in this trailer or any other trailer I've seen that would come close to justifying 38 Studio's existence. This is what happens when you pull together the money and resources to make a game before you have a concrete idea of the game you want to develop: you spend all of your time and money arguing about what kind of game you "ought" to make. Sadly enough, that should have been known before the company incorporated.

I feel sorry for Schiller. His heart was in the right place. He now knows through bitter experience that the gaming business is nowhere near as idealistic a place as he obviously thought it was. Whether it's game developers or NASA scientists, eating is priority #1--everything else runs a distant second. These folks strung Schiller along as far as possible, which was several years--right up until they closed the doors, turned out the lights and said goodnight.

Lesson learned: people who cannot cook should not open restaurants as their primary business. People who cannot develop game software should not open game development houses as their primary business. People who do these things ignorantly will more than likely just be lead down the primrose path to insolvency.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future
40. Re: Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future Aug 23, 2012, 09:37 WaltC

It's just too bad that Blizzard was able to use the name "Diablo III" in the first place, because that was the obvious driver behind the initial sales numbers, and for that Blizzard owes Brevik just about the whole enchilada; just about everything. It's obvious that the developers at Blizzard these days are egotistical shadows of original Diablo developers--get a load of those comments? Good grief, they sound like spoiled brats denied candy bars.

What Blizzard developers should have said is something more along the lines of, "Hey, if it wasn't for Brevik we wouldn't have this franchise to develop, and the earlier Diablo games were such smash successes that this one wouldn't have been possible in their absence. We need to consult with Brevik and get his input on how we can improve things still further."

Between the lines: The developers of Diablo III missed the boat with the game because they never understood the first Diablo games, especially Diablo 2. Loot? The game was about a hell of a lot more than loot. It was fun it was single-player and it was by turns both scary and exhilarating. It had just tons of atmosphere that was utterly unique to anything that had gone before. Did I mention how much fun it was in single player? There was no condescension to MMO mediocrity, there were no cheap, unworkable gimmicks like mob-based "loot auction houses" and so on. Because Diablo II completely lacked the core of Diablo III, it was very successful.

Blizzard could have done a hell of a lot better with this game if it had worried a lot more about game play than it worried about piracy, in the process ensuring a great title that would have sold extremely well no matter what. Bottom line is that if a game design will help frustrate pirates but alienates players while doing so it's a poor game design. The developers of Diablo III need to go back to school and let the developers of Diablo II show them how it's done. Diablo III was a cheap spin-off shadow of Diablo II, and looks and plays accordingly.

420 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo