Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 380 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
34. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 27, 2012, 11:30 WaltC

Alamar wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:22:
nin wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:10:
Woot! And only $20! Played the hell out of the last one, and I'm sure I'll do the same here!

Yes, $19.99 is definitely a sweet spot for a game like Torchlight. I was dumbfounded at the amount of game and content it offered (though much of it was randomly repetitive.) The mood, the music, the play--reminded me so much of Diablo 2 and was why I liked it so much. It has almost a mesmeric quality about it.

This is a great example of how piracy generates revenue; many many people who pirate a product will buy a sequel. Which incidentally, is also why Windows is THE operating system of choice : )

-Alamar

The psychology of piracy is interesting. But to boil it down, if you offer general consumers a product which they find highly enjoyable or very appealing or very useful, and you price it right from the start, most people will buy it as opposed to pirating it. Same thing exactly is true of books and movies and music. That's why Microsoft and movie companies and the book publishers are not only "still in business" but *thriving.* If more people were pirating than not this would not be the case.

The problem for software, book, and movie publishers is when they release a poor or sub-par product and *expect* it to sell as if was a AAA title! That's never going to happen, and the publishers are idiots if they think it should. Products that aren't compelling and which are also priced as high as other very compelling products won't sell nearly as well as they might had they been priced right from the start. IE, a poor game, a poor book, or a poor song or a poor movie should be priced anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 the price of an AAA title. At that point, even the sub-par stuff will move briskly.

But publishing cartels like the RIAA and the MPAA stupidly keep complaining that their bad stuff isn't selling as well as their good stuff and so they keep complaining about "piracy" to a Congress largely so technically non-adept most of them would have a problem listing in ten words or less the differences between a ram chip and a mouse.

People buy good software when it is priced competitively from the start, in a measure commensurate with its worth. But when the RIAA & MPAA companies keep trying to push poor-quality products on the public for the same prices as the good stuff--it isn't going to sell nearly as well no matter what they do. Whether the poor quality products they throw out into the market are pirated or simply ignored, the result is the same: far few people buy them.

Although I agree with you that it is likely that Microsoft's OSes are among the most pirated pieces of software in history, it's still a fact that Microsoft is the financial success it is because most people--yes, most people--buy Windows as opposed to pirating it (at least, this is true in North America and Europe. Probably not so much in China.) They buy it because they think that for the price it is an excellent buy for what it does!

A good example by which to prove that observation is desktop Linux distributions. Windows outsells them on the desktop 100-to-1 even though the Linux desktop is essentially *free* and has been for years. That's fairly dramatic proof that billions of people around the world find desktop Windows so much more valuable than desktop Linux for their personal computing needs that they gladly pay to own Windows and choose it over a desktop Linux distro which they could get for free if they so desired! You don't have to pirate desktop Linux to get it for free because it already is!

That's an incredibly strong and clear statement about what companies need to do in order to minimize the effect of piracy on their bottom lines: make products that are compelling enough that people will see their value and be glad--happy, ecstatic, even!--to buy them at reasonable prices! Piracy will never be 100% eliminated, but a company can darn sure knock out at least 90% of it if their customer-value-for-the-dollar strategies are sound and their products are compelling enough to inspire strong demands. Smart companies don't fight piracy with a pack of ambulance-chasing attorneys suing and threatening their customers--that's a dead end strategy if ever there was one. Smart companies *overcome* piracy by offering fantastic value to their customers and fantastically useful&desirable products. Microsoft has been doing that, on balance, for most of its existence--and that's why the company is still here, let alone why it has become dominant in many areas.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
33. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 WaltC

Graham wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:16:
deqer wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:56:
I was going to pick this up, but ever since they released that childish cinematic last week, I fear I would be picking up a game for 5yearolds--I'm not a 5yearold.

You sound like a rational person with reasonable opinions.

Protip: Being worried about you own personal, private hobbies appearing childish shows that you still have some growing up to do.

Sounds reasonable. I wonder how you'd relish a public revelation of your private Voodoo-Barbie doll collection, replete with long pins stuck through intestines and thoraxes, though...;) Seriously, he wasn't worrying about appearances, he was simply making a statement that in his opinion, based on the intro cinematics, the game looks childish. If it turns out that the intro to the game bears no resemblance to the game itself, he might very well purchase the game. I feel the same way. That intro, for me, was so childish it was very nearly insulting.

It closely reminds me of the way Asus used to package its $300 3d accelerators sold in the US: the cover invariably had a picture of what had to be an 8-year-old male, one thumb very nearly in his mouth, the other balled into a sort of fist and clutching some sort of purple plastic dinosaur, a hairdo that looked like he'd stuck a finger into a light socket--and a set of huge, wide-open eyes that looked as if they saw everything and understood nothing. It was plain to whom Asus was marketing that $300 3d card--and it *wasn't* to the US adults who could afford to buy the thing. Asus might as well have blared with a megaphone: "We have no idea why anyone would want to actually buy a 3d card in the US, but they buy lots of them, and all we can figure out is that the child on the front of this box best represents the demographics for our 3d accelerators in the US."

I don't know if Asus is still making product boxes like that, and I think Asus makes great products, but if I had to guess about that based on nothing more than the design of the box I'd guess it was a pile of junk...;) Impressions, especially first impressions, are extremely important in marketing.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2012, 12:49 WaltC

scratz wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:50:
I have four HDTVs, and the oldest, a 32 inch Vizio is no longer able to receive certain premium HD programming since this "update." Apparently it predates HDCP's wide adoption. I can't remember how long I've owned it. Probably 6 years now?

It is always a mistake when a provider chooses to remove service that a customer has been using for many years. "Buy a new TV" is a silly answer. I pay nearly $150 a month for my DirecTV service. They should grandfather existing accounts.

Check for an HDCP-HDMI adapter--should be one available for you somewhere. My old HD 4850 cards from ATi came with a DVI-to-HDMI/HDCP adaptor, which I supposed worked although I never tried it. I do know, however, that a plain DVI-to-HDMI adaptor, without the ATi HDCP circuitry, would *not* work satisfactorily with the 4850, though.

The newer HD cards, the ones with on-board HDMI ports, already have the HDCP functionality built in, so no worries there.

I agree that this sort of thing sucks. Paying customers are always the ones that pay out the most while the crooks sail on, scot-free.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patched
36. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 21, 2012, 12:29 WaltC

rist3903 wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 02:03:
Thanks for the monitor feedback!

I will take it under advisement.

Best advice: by the largest, highest-resolution monitor you can afford--and it won't hurt to extend the warranty on it out a couple more years, if possible (usually doesn't cost too much at time of purchase.)

If you are looking at tiny screens from 6" away the pixel density might be important to you, but generally a larger screen which allows you to comfortably observe it from 2'-3' away at minimum, is far more preferable, visible, and easy on the eyes. I do agree that 1920x1080 should be the minimum native res--with 1920x1200 being the sweet middle of the road--and ~2500x1600 being the absolute maximum. The first two resolutions are definitely the better buys--the top resolution only if you have money to burn and also plan to drop a wad for gpus powerful enough to drive all those pixels...;)

News Comments > Torchlight II Cinematic
10. Re: Torchlight II Cinematic Apr 21, 2012, 11:28 WaltC

Zoso wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 11:16:
I have to say that trailer was pretty bad. I would even go as far to say it might even chase a few buyers away.

Agreed--it looked like an ad for Romper Room's Dirty Diaper Capers...;)

These guys could have a mega-mega hit on their hands with Torchlight II. If this "opening cartoon" is any indication of the quality and depth of the the game, however, it looks like they will fail miserably in reaching that potential. If the game turns out to be the great game we all hope it will be, then this trailer could not possibly be less representative. Bad move, Runic, bad move.

If I didn't know better, I might say that Runic would be "embarrassed" at one-upping Blizzard (gosh knows, we wouldn't want people thinking Runic could do great things if Runic can't do them, would we?), and so Runic has decided to put out a game that will really cause Diabolical 3 to shine, shine, shine!

Excuse me while I enter my private restroom and throw up.

News Comments > Torchlight II Cinematic
7. Re: Torchlight II Cinematic Apr 21, 2012, 11:16 WaltC

Gridphoenix wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 03:02:
Cant wait to see this one. However: Will there be a Mac version ? I am still hoping. Playing Torchlight 1 on my iMac from time to time.

Michael

I really don't understand all of this self torture...;) "Macs" have been x86 PCs for several years now, and will boot from Windows as handily as from OS X. Why not buy a copy of Win7, run Bootcamp, and save yourself all of the needless "hoping" and nail biting? Then you *wouldn't have to worry* about OS X-specific versions, or wait year(s) for them, etc. It's like deliberately choosing not to use 50% of the computing environment you bought. Sheeesh.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 18, 2012, 12:32 WaltC

Life must be an almost unbearable burden for those who cannot distinguish between cell phones and computers. So sad.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
33. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 13:10 WaltC

I wonder if this is some sort of Kinect adjunct? Obviously that would translate both to Valve's current PC & xBox business. I agree with those who've said Valve would have "fat chance" (pardon the pun, Gabe) of designing and bringing to market a console--by hiring one (1) hardware engineer...;)  

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
25. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 12:36 WaltC

Bucky wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 10:36:
I don't have any particular attachment to the PC platform, what I do care about is the input method. Keyboard/Mouse is the superior input choice in pretty much every game genre I play, which is why I stick to the PC. Considering games these days are almost always limited to the current console generation, the extra PC hardware is going to waste anyway. Give me a beefy console with a keyboard and mouse and I'll be the first in line.

So you'd be willing to pay Valve $300-$400 for a PC-compatible console, sans monitor, as opposed to spending $600-$700, sans monitor, for a PC with at least 10x the graphics and computational power and maybe 100x + the storage capacity? Not I...;)

The great advantage to the "PC platform" is being able to upgrade your components individually, of course, which increases the PC's value as a platform by a further 10x over a console, etc.

But here's the thing--Valve isn't going to do a custom console that is incompatible with the PC platform for obvious reasons--namely, regardless of what Valve starts selling, the great mass of its software business will still come from the PC platform demand.

Therefore, whatever Valve decides to make and market, it will undoubtedly be 100% Windows-compatible...;)

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Trailer; Preorder Bonus & CEs Detailed
3. Re: Assassin's Creed III Trailer; Preorder Bonus & CEs Detailed Mar 27, 2012, 01:09 WaltC

*Self-nuked* Could not delete duplicate post  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Trailer; Preorder Bonus & CEs Detailed
2. Re: Assassin's Creed III Trailer Mar 27, 2012, 01:03 WaltC

Ah, April Fools is almost here at last! Can't you feel the atmosphere churning in anticipation of this annual event for the terminally slow who always forget what they chuckled about last year so that every year seems a brand new joke-fest to consume again and again, forevermore *squawwwwk*!

"Wheah ees Sajhwa Konna?" Ugh. "I prove 'dis time 'dat she not my seeester and she gonna' get capped! Not my seeester!" Arghghghggh.

But even for a gag, does this promo sound lame, or what?...;)

Typos: omissions.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2012, 01:17.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
14. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:44 WaltC

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:16:
Not sure why you'd ever agree to a deal where you get money based on an aggregate score of subjective views by third parties.

No tears shed here.

Creston

This deal was just one of many bonus conditions most likely in their contract--certainly not the only one...;)

I have to say that on buying the game during a recent Steam sale for--I think--$4.99--it was pretty rough and rugged before I started installing the plentiful mods made available for it by the community. The one thing that stands out in my memory was just how bad the textures & general graphics were in the vanilla game--it looked like something published a decade earlier, imo. If the fully modded game could have been reviewed there's no doubt it would have garnered a 90+, at least, but in the condition I saw of the final release (prior to any mod installations), I think they were very lucky to get an 84. As I recall the vanilla FNV was much, much worse-looking than the vanilla Fallout3--which really surprised me. Both games benefit greatly from community mods, but FNV was by far the most improved of the two,imo.

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games
57. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 20, 2012, 18:25 WaltC

Jivaro wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 18:21:
Never once did Tumbler mention piracy, nor has he ever claimed piracy to be excusable to my memory.

Which is why I said "IF this is what you mean and IF this is what you're saying..."

It would be most instructive if you'd inform on your interpretation of what he meant to say...;) As for me, "piracy" seemed the only option as everything else he had ruled out as too expensive.

56. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 20, 2012, 18:21 WaltC

Kastagir wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 17:31:

I'm guessing that you're referring to the Half-Life franchise here. This situation seems pretty clear to someone who has followed it: the core writer for the HL2 storyline became seriously ill and had to leave Valve on an indefinite leave of absence. His importance was made clear by Newell's assurance that he would always be a valuable asset to Valve, no matter how long his recovery would take. Newell and his PR masters don't want to admit that the HL story hinges on one person and that they've written themselves into a corner with Episodes 1 and 2 and they have a history of missing any milestones related to the HL franchise. Talking about HL is a no-win situation for them.

Or is there something else we can hold Gabe Newell's "feet to the fire" for?

Nice and neat and so forth--except for one thing--it's you saying it instead of Gabe...;) It's *interesting* if Gabe says it...otoh, anyone can speculate, right? If you take a look at the hundreds of credits in the HL2 manual, or even just the ones that roll on screen, it is very clear that HL2 being a "one man show" is anything *but* what Valve thinks about the game. But, if this is true, Newell should state it directly instead of letting speculation like this run rampant (again, he has difficulty being direct it seems to me.) As opposed to the idea of HL3 discussion being a "no win" situation for Valve--I would rather speculate myself that Valve has got some fantastic HL3 software in the works but in the spirit of not wanting to spoil the impact, Gabe would rather maintain silence instead of trying to hype it--which can breed a lot of misunderstanding. HL2 seemed as if it came out of the woodwork--advance publicity was so sparse that there wasn't time for anyone to be "disappointed" in HL2...! I *hope* this is what Gabe is doing. And I also hope they are off the "episode" venue for HL3 going forward. I think the episodic approach for HL in general did little except to cheapen the franchise and lower expectations.

"Feet to the fire" could mean anything, really--even just intelligent, interesting follow ups--like for instance, Ben might have asked what Newell thought was wrong and in need of fixing in the iPad2 when it comes to the topic of gaming. I can think of several things, myself--'course, after that point is reached there'd be a question as to whether the iPad2 would be (or look like) a tablet anymore. Stuff like that.

I also wish Ben had gone into a bit of detail as to what it is Gabe sees in consoles--after all, he can afford the PC configuration of his choice--so why dumb it all down into the console space? Steam is a PC store, etc.

54. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 20, 2012, 17:54 WaltC

Tumbler wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:29:
Well valve certainly owns my steam games. There is no question that my access to the game I've paid for on steam are not mine at all but belong to Valve and Steam. I have no ability to sell my steam library so I do not own them in any real sense. This is why I pay very little for most of my steam games. Regardless how much the game is worth the value I get from playing it through steam is on par with rental prices which to me are around $5.

Arghghghghgghhhh.....! Please--not another "Life is unfair and that's why I pirate my games instead of pay for them" ridiculous point of view. You'll get no sympathy from me. As well, what on earth makes you think "renting" is cheap?

Reviewing a couple of things...when you rent a game somewhere you have to take it back after the rental period is up. (If you don't, your credit card is billed for the cost of a new copy of the software, or charged the daily rental rate until you return it, along with any late fees due.) Last time I looked there were no time limits controlling my use of my Steam Library games. By that property alone we can deduce that Steam ownership does not equate to game rentals. Another fundamental difference is the fact that if you rent and want to play game X again you must pay the rental fee *every time you decide to play the game again.* Steam ownership has no such recurring costs. Indeed, apart from paying for your Steam software, there are no other expenses to bear.

I could continue onward--but just those differences above are dramatic enough and fundamental enough to convince even the most ardent skeptic that renting does not equal Steam ownership--Steam is much better and much cheaper...;)

There have been odd little comments about passing these accounts on to your children, like when you pass your stuff on to your children...what happens to these accounts?

Pretty much what you as the owner decide will happen. If you give your account user name and password to your children, or your wife, or *anybody,* then I expect they will continue to use those accounts in perpetuity. What would be stopping them?

Just understand what you're paying for. It's a rental. You're renting stuff from steam. It might be a very generous rental in your opinion but you have no rights. (at least nothing that has been upheld by the courts)

Steam is not even close to being a rental service. Stop embarrassing yourself...;) When you rent you pay continuously as long as you rent--whether by the day, the week, the month, etc. When you purchase you pay for something once, generally, and once only, correct? As to "rights"--why as long as Valve exists (and quite possibly longer) I can open my Steam account--the use of which is free in perpetuity--and play the games I have purchased, without charge or without constraint as often as I would like. Indeed, anyone to whom I give my Steam account user name and password can do the very same thing. Such unfettered, free access is a property of ownership, not a rental--in which case you genuinely do not own the software and so must pay for your time with it each and every time you access it. Renting can easily be far more expensive than Steam ownership.

Several games in my Steam Library do not require an Internet connection to play--Skyrim 1.4.x.x is just one of them--Steam itself need not be even running for those games. Other games, however, like Witcher2 v2.1 require an Internet connection or they are not playable at all. Since there are so many differences in how this is determined in Steam games, it seem that whether or not to use Steam as a sort of "DRM" from which you always must have an Internet connection to successfully launch a game is not decided by Valve but rather by individual game publishers--thus your situation with Valve is no different than having bought directly from each Steam game's publisher/developer.

I think the courts should rule in the favor of consumers in these cases and force all these companies to allow these licenses to be retitled and transferred. Possibly at a cost to the consumer but there is no reason the consumers should not be granted ownership of these titles the way they are being marketed. The terms purchase, buy, and such which they freely use at the point of purchase should not be allowed if these companies are renting these titles. The reality that this is a rental is buried inside those eula's which is done deliberately because consumers are smart enough to know that you should be paying less for "rentals" than you do for ownership.

Your rental analogy is completely wet and falls completely apart, as demonstrated above. It's a very weak defense of piracy, if that is what you are doing and if that is what you are using the word "rental" for. Compared to Steam software ownership, software rentals would be inordinately, immeasurably more expensive and far more restrictive.

There are in fact long lists of things that we as people buy regularly--things which we "own"--but which are used up very quickly to the point that we must always buy new things to replace them:

Paper
pencils
printer cartridges
gasoline
electricity
toilet paper, etc., ad infinitum

...I mean, the list of such "owned" things is nigh inexhaustible--yet Steam software ownership accords one far more "rights" than the purchase of any of these kinds of goods. So please stop pretending that there's only one way to "buy" things and only one way to "own" things, because it isn't close to being true. If you cannot see that Steam isn't a rental service you need new glasses...;)

48. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 20, 2012, 16:49 WaltC

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:17:
Valve offers a better service than EA. Better value, better selection, better functionality, better experience, better community engagement, etc. But I'd like to see Valve improve their service - remove the online check before launching every game; remove the threat of a permanent VAC ban, which disadvantages those that keep all their games on a single account (dedicated cheaters will use disposable accounts); give users the option to revert to a previous version, as patches can break mods and system compatibility.

I've got several Steam games, including Skyrim (v1.4.x.x), that have no trouble booting up w/o an Internet connection & for which Steam simply does not run in that condition. The Gothic 2/3 games are others in this category. Yet, a game like Witcher2 v2.1 simply won't run at all w/o an Internet connection.

Looks to me that this is decided by each game's publisher as opposed to Valve.

As for the interview, it was a pretty difficult read. No offence to Gabe but many of the responses were verging on gibberish, with constant tangential detours and hard to follow sentences. Still, it reinforces what I already knew about Valve. The response to the Russian question was particularly interesting, as he stated that if true that Valve probably messed up. You wouldn't here that from EA - they'd be more likely to send the secret police round to your house to assassinate your dog.

I agree and was a bit disappointed with Ben Kuchera--great interview for him considering his recent promotion from games writer at Ars to Sr. Editor @ Penny Arcade--but his lack of experience shows in his decision not to ask Gabe any interesting questions--or to hold his feet to the fire, etc. I'm sure that certain topics were off the table as a pre-condition of the interview--although I really don't *know* that to be the case since I wasn't a fly on the wall anywhere near Ben...;)

But overall I have found Newell most impressive by way of what he does not say, and usually he just refuses to answer direct questions directly. A skillful interviewer can ask Gabe questions allowing the reader to piece some things together--but I think Ben was too impressed by Gabe to give this interview much in the way of thought. Gabe's answers were, as usual, rings around rings of virtually nothing...;) I've always been a HUGE fan of Valve, though, so I say these things wistfully and reluctantly. I only wonder that Gabe gives interviews at all because he generally has almost nothing to say when he grants interviews. Were it me, I'd only give interviews when I had something to say and then I'd make sure it got said.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
41. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 16:57 WaltC

Morgan19 wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 14:09:

Under Settings > Downloaded Games, do you have a folder on E:\ specified? I just opened up my Origin (which is on D:\Games\Origin) and the demo went right to downloading and installing in the Origin games folder there.

I enjoyed the quick bit I got to try of the demo so far... I immediately felt right at home playing again, from the grand "holy crap save the world please" cinematics to the "it just feels like ME" gameplay. Definitely Looking forward to the full game.

Thanks for the tips, guys!...;) For some strange reason it did not occur to me to check "settings"...!

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 11:27 WaltC

Anyone know how to configure Origin so that the demo does not install to C:\? I've installed Origin on E:\, but it still wants to install the demo on C:\. Thanks in advance?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 15:56 WaltC

Dirwulf wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:11:
WaltC wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:08:
I tried the demo--it is borked, bigtime, on my machine--refuses to play properly--for some strange reason. After I pick up the sword in the "dark as in I can't see a thing beginning" the graphics display heads south--really weird errors I haven't seen in a long while. Won't even be looking at this until I can navigate the demo. Lots of graphics errors--demo needs a patch it would seem.

Turn off the post processing option.

Thanks--I'm sure that's it--the errors look exactly like that. For some reason I wasn't aware the option was "on" to begin with--thanks again, be testing it shortly.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
20. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:23 WaltC

Downloading now...looks to take about an hour for the ~3-gig texture patch to download@6Mb/s down.

I am extraordinarily impressed with this game! Had I not been told that the original textures were not "hires" I would not have suspected it--Skyrim sure included the best looking lot of low-res textures I've ever seen...;)

What I am ga-ga-goo-goo about, frankly, is that I've temporarily had to move to a much less powerful rig than I'm used to--a 3GHz Athlon 2 (separate 1-gig L2s) and an ATi 5770--and I'm damned if this game doesn't run *el perfecto* with all controls save FSAA maxed out to Ultra @ 1920x1080! The game runs great even at 2x FSAA--but looks as good and runs great at 0xFSAA and FXAA turned on--all settings maxed.

I've got a 1-gig 5770, so I'm betting the hi-res textures will run just fine! Amazing game--amazing. Been a long time since I've had the pleasure of something like Skyrim.

What I like most about the game, though, is that its stellar mega sales for the PC shut the mouths of the untalented, cowardly naysayer developers who claim you can't write for the PC because of piracy. May those guys rot and writhe in the acidic shadow that Skyrim PC casts!

380 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo