Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 503 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Friday Tech Bits
2. Re: Friday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2013, 23:34 WaltC

Axis wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 17:59:
Mac Pro article one of the most moronic I've yet to read -- Mac heads... still gladly fooling themselves to this day.

As long as ignorance exists, the Apple Mac RDF (reality distortion field) will, too...;) As it is, the words (ignorance, Mac) are almost synonyms, anyway. It's sad, though, to see ignorant people with enough money to throw away on The Spittoon...! "Apple tax" doesn't scratch the surface of all the "gotcha's" in these products that are deliberately hidden and obfuscated in Mac marketing material and therefore never seen or commented on by the e-zine I'net authors who don't know enough about owning computers (Macs or PCs) over a span of years to make and understand such commentary in the first place. Questions like: "Why is it not a good a idea to spend thousands of dollars on custom computer components with miserly one-year factory warranties?" They don't know the answers and most often cannot even understand such questions...;) There are many more such pertinent questions professional commentators would ask and answer that these people most often never do. Ah, well, Caveat Emptor--a fool and his money, easily parted, etc.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $35 Million
28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:15 WaltC

Schilling has to be rolling over in the ashes of his dead 38 Studios...that's fully *half* the money he borrowed from the RI state government...! Had he not so thoroughly blown his credibility with that misguided effort he would more than likely have had much better success with crowd funding. At any rate, he'd have been better off crowd sourcing either way--win or lose. At least had he not successfully crowd-funded then he'd never have wound up in hock to a clueless state government.

I still think RI should have rolled with 38 Studios for another $75M, if that's what it took--because, bear in mind that this wasn't just *a game* Schilling was trying to develop, it was an entire *game company* based in RI he was attempting to found, a RI company that would have kept hiring and providing jobs for the tiny state for years to come. Considering how much in the way of entitlements RI gives away each year--that provide it no ROI whatever--and considering how many state-funded RI projects routinely go way, way over their original budgets (typical of governments everywhere), RI's reaction was pretty much the same as taking the game company *and* the $75M and just burning them both in a wheelbarrow. Of course, burning through tax-payer money is a normal government function, anyway.

Got a bit side-tracked, sorry...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 23, 2013, 09:55 WaltC

Verno wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 08:40:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 17:50:
That's one fancy looking bathroom trashcan

Haha yeah, I can appreciate the work that went into it but it does resemble a little trashcan.

Sigh...can we get this right? It's a spittoon.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 15:11 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 13:57:
That Mac Pro was assembled in the USA. Cutter, how many of the manufacturers you buy from can even say that?

Assembled in the USA--made in China. (You forgot about that, I guess.) Every Windows computer in my home since 1995 has been assembled in the USA--assembled by me, personally, as I cherry-pick the hardware components and order them separately and "assemble" them myself. Assembling is one thing, manufacturing a component is quite another, isn't it?

(Man, the RDF is really deep in this thread...;) Keep it coming guys, always entertaining!)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 15:03 WaltC

Hobeaux wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 10:08:
actually, yes. I've read several articles over the years that the Mac hardware runs Windows better than many/most/all (depending on the year) PC hardware. There are a couple of options, such as VMWare or Parallels, so one could have Windows running in a VM inside the OS X—but Apple provides a solution called Boot Camp that allows a user to choose OS X or Windows at boot so you get the full native experience.

That said, it's not a guarantee that Windows will understand some of the hardware components, so YMMV.

You've been reading far too many Mac-oriented publications...;) I suggest you broaden your horizons and get away from Apple for a couple of years--if you ever want to learn anything besides Mac propaganda, that is. First of all, Macs, including this hideous monstrosity (looks like a spittoon from the top and a coffee-maker from the side)use the very same hardware you find in PCs--it's called x86 Intel. Bus standards, hard drives--the works--it is all 100% Intel bog standard off-the-shelf.

The major difference is that Macs--those few that can be called desktops, that is--support only a fraction of the hardware Windows supports. Windows, btw, runs natively on the Mac--it is not an emulation--it runs just as natively on a Mac as OS X. Bootcamp simply automates the Windows install process since the great majority of Mac owners are clueless when it comes to setting up systems that dual boot between two OSes.

But, yea, you can run Windows natively to get the real experience of a personal computer--which means that all that Windows software that is published which doesn't support OS X (a lot!) can be accessed and enjoyed by Mac users, too--provided they've installed Windows. If you want to run Windows, though--best not buy a Mac at all, frankly. Like someone said earlier, Bootcamp hardware drivers (which have to be supplied by Apple) are generally not up to par. WIndows supports at least 10x the amount of hardware that Apple supports in OS X and builds into its Macs. IE, buy a Mac and your choices of hardware are severely diminished.

It's posts like yours that let me know that the RDF is still powerful and thriving in Apple land...;) Keep it up, though--always amusing to read stuff like this.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 20, 2013, 09:17 WaltC

Snowden's no "whistle-blower"...he's a lying, cheating high-school dropout sociopath who fled the country after breaking every oath he ever took with his country and his employer. His word means nothing and he cannot be trusted. He broke into his supervisor's computer after stealing the password, got the answers to an NSA entry exam and passed the test. I'd bet 99% of his "releases" are either made up completely or else completely out of context.

Whistle-blowers do *not* act like Snowden--they stay in the US and blow their whistles. They have the courage of their convictions! Ever heard of a US whistle-blower who fled the country, then blew the whistle, and then moved to mother Russia? I didn't think so.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nsa-speaks-out-on-snowden-spying/

If, in the United States, we had anything besides a corrupt, inept, ludicrously stupid and incompetent Media Press, Snowden's "whistle-blowing" would have been laughed to scorn with jeers from the start.

Snowden's going to discover that hanging might be preferable to living out his days in Russia, or anywhere else, for that matter. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home, eh Snowden? Don't kid yourself--Snowden now fully realizes the extent of what he's done and would give *anything* to undo it all. But it's too late for that kind of sentiment as the choice is no longer his. This is a wonderful example for anyone else thinking of unwisely burning his bridges.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 08:52 WaltC

I feel genuinely sorry for anyone actually "waiting" on one of these hideous and hideously overpriced monstrosities...the Artillery Shell Mac Pro. The Apple RDF is hitting delusional proportions again.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers Address Micro Stuttering
3. Re: New AMD Drivers Address Micro Stuttering Dec 18, 2013, 18:29 WaltC

DangerDog wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 18:19:
I almost went with the Red team with my new system, almost.

You have my sympathies, then, sir...;) j/k

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 16, 2013, 12:31 WaltC

First, what would be really nice is to clean up our present miserable excuse for a government. That is a much bigger concern for me.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
47. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 09:49 WaltC

Icewind wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 07:25:
I've hated on him for years, but if he wants to come back to his Unreal 1 ways...I'm good with it. Maybe now he realizes what we've been teasing him with this whole time. I think he does, since with all the kickstarters and the steam indies racking in big cash he now sees that the PC really *IS* the healthier/greener pasture, and he wants back.

Right after the success of the first Unreal (not UT--U), Sweeney was quoted in an interview saying 90% of people who buy computer games look for solid single-player games. I thought he knew what he was talking about then--but then suddenly UT came from nowhere, then the mindless repetitions of the game and then finally Epic abandoned the PC altogether. I always thought he was mimicking Carmack in a number of ways (and still do.) Unfortunate. I always thought that Unreal/Return were so good that it should have been Carmack emulating Sweeney--but apparently Sweeney lacks self-confidence and doesn't function well on his own (whereas Carmack has no trouble calling the shots.)

Unreal (not UT) had a great future but Epic let it die prematurely. Perhaps Bleszinski wants to bring it back. If so that would be interesting. Somehow, I doubt it, though. It seems to me he's looking for an easy way to make money and could really care less about making a great game.

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
151. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 9, 2013, 17:28 WaltC

What I find most incredible--literally unbelievable, about all of this--is how otherwise intelligent people allow Snowden to continuously and consistently convince them that he alone of all the "peoples of the earth" knows and understands every single thing the NSA does! He's making absolute *fools* out of the news media--"news media"? They don't deserve the title here in the US. They are a bunch of bumpkins and buffoons and every day they prove it by believing every single fantastic, idiotic, stupid-beyond-belief word out of Snowden's mouth, out of every two-bit politician's mouth in Washington, D.C., etc. The more fantastic, incredible, idiotic, and contentious, not to mention foolish the allegation is--you can count on the US News Media to use it as click bait. Morons.

The US press has become a laughing stock over Snowden. While every other civilized Western country is in private chuckling and holding its *nose* whenever the word "Snowden" comes up, morons in this country rush to print the next moronic headline! I'll bet Snowden is *reeling* at the stupidity his little ruse has revealed about the American public and their politicians and their press organizations. Everywhere else around the globe, mention the word "Snowden" and it invokes a belly laugh because the crap he alleges is so far-fetched--no, ridiculous is a much better description of it--that only a moron might ever believe it! Hell, I don't really blame the guy--he can't come home, so he might as well continue to make fools of them for as long as he can. The only thing more pathetic than Snowden himself is the American reaction to the utter garbage the guy continuously spews--he's dumbfounded, I'm sure, that anyone at all believes it.

The lunacy of the whole notion of "spying on Americans playing on-line video games" is so ridiculous that it defies belief! No intelligence agency on Earth would waste its limited time and resources doing things as idiotic as that. Suddenly I feel as though I live in a nation of inbred imbeciles who, like Jethro Bodine, are proud of having "gradeeeated the sixth grade!" Heh...;) It's really quite funny. (I think sixth graders might actually be able to see through all of this nonsense much better, actually. They've yet to learn the fear of their own shadows.)

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
27. Re: dcross@neverwhen.org Dec 9, 2013, 16:55 WaltC

Minuit wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 16:11:
WaltC wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 14:18:
About Valve's shared library thingy--they've already said how that will go. You can share the game with your friend (*one* friend at a time) for *one hour,* after which your friend receives a notice inviting him to also purchase his own copy of the game from Steam. If your friend declines he is cut from the game immediately.

They have also said the opposite. Can you provide some details on this, or is it possible you're confusing Valve with Microsoft or Sony?

Well, the text seems to have changed from my last reading of it...;)I repeated it the way I remembered it from the original announcement. It is still very murky to me. You can share on up to ten devices that you list--but the minute your account is accessed for any game in it, sharing is terminated for all ten devices--or, have I misinterpreted that incorrectly as well? I read it the first time--months ago--to say that if *the shared game* was accessed the borrowing party would find his session terminated. Now I'm hearing that any activity on the main account will terminate the sharing, period. I also distinctly remember something about the "borrower" being asked to purchase the game--after a point--and if not, he's terminated on that session. It's all murky to me--but that's Valve for you (and I like Steam as much as the next guy and own a few dozen steam games.) Newell and company remind me of my wife before I sent her back to the factory for refurbishment--fickle, wishy-washy, and indecisive...;) (Electro-shock is a wonderful palliative--but don't let her hear me saying that!)

I'll wait until the thing is firmed up and available to the public before I make any further comments on it, however.

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
14. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 14:18 WaltC

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 12:21:
Steam also has the ability to see how many hours we have into a game, those I returned were under 2 hours each. Technical issues. Just sayin.

Where is the Friends feature that is supposedly coming to Steam? Allowing us to share games with family/friends. That would be super sweet.

Gog is a great bunch of folks. Late one night I bought the wrong game in a series of games--I bought #3 when I meant to buy #4. Problem was I already owned #3! I never downloaded the game, wrote tech support, got a very nice response even though it was the middle of the night there--was asked to supply transaction details which I provided, and six hours later I was provided access to the game I meant to buy, with the mistaken order removed from my community list of Gog-owned games. I then downloaded the game I had originally intended to purchase. I cannot say enough good things about these people--they really go the second mile for the customer.

About Valve's shared library thingy--they've already said how that will go. You can share the game with your friend (*one* friend at a time) for *one hour,* after which your friend receives a notice inviting him to also purchase his own copy of the game from Steam. If your friend declines he is cut from the game immediately. Also, if the friend of yours who owns the Steam game you are sharing for an hour suddenly decides to start playing his copy of the game, you are immediately asked if you'd like to buy it, etc., and then immediately cut off if you decline, in that case, too.

Perhaps you think that is "sweet," but it's the best that Valve or Microsoft or anyone can do under existing copyright law. Someone's idiotic notion that you'll be able to share entire games with up to ten friends--free--with only one of the ten having to buy the game--was never true from the beginning (which is, of course, why it has not happened anywhere.)

I think it's a gimmick, myself--the best you can say about it is that it will provide a sort of game demo for games that ship without demos. I can't see any other benefit beyond that.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
69. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 2, 2013, 09:48 WaltC

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:53:
Most homes don't even have a pc anymore. Even businesses are started to incorporate tablet apps into their business rather than using laptops. So the only market these guys are in right now are old-school pc enthusiasts who are gamers. So their argument is moot. Those of who care already know, and those of us who dropped laptop/desktop for tablet don't care. Most homes who have tablets and smart phones will buy a console for gaming rather than "reverting back" to the 'ol pc. That's if they even care to play games on their tv than their tablet or phone.

Interesting, as I don't know anyone living in a home anywhere in which no PC exists...;) (I know, you pulled that statistic out of...the box your console came in, right?) BTW, people who "drop" PCs for tablets were never actually PC users in the first place, were they? There are no replacements for PCs being manufactured currently, contrary to popular mythology. And it may go over your head, but laptops with real keyboards are still far more useful/desirable than tablets with added keyboards, covers, and all of those other pieces that you have to buy to try and get close to a laptop's functionality.

What's the point? A tablet is only a good buy for someone who just doesn't need a decent keyboard or a personal computer. It doesn't begin to serve as a replacement for one ( no more than cell phones can replace laptops, etc.) I think that by far tablets will be purchased by people who already have at least one PC because, again like cell phones, tablets are not replacements for PCs. Never were.

68. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 2, 2013, 09:32 WaltC

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:18:
Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 11:57:
All this PC power is pointless if it has to struggle with the pool of molasses that is DirectX.

Doesn't the xbone use DirectX as well?

Heh...;) If D3d is molasses, then OpenGL is a tar pit ...;) Funny! If Mantle works, it will make things even better. To be molasses, D3d seems to handle UltraHD to Eyefinity to 4k gaming pretty well. Gosh, that's right--consoles struggle with the molasses of 1080P, don't they?...;)

12. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 12:07 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 10:04:
I want to hear an AMD rep say this.

I understand your point relative to AMD manufacturing the consoles, but still...

Why should anyone have to say it?...;) I mean, isn't it widely known? During the last 25+ years I've never owned a personal computer that has been less powerful or less adept at playing games than any console on the market. That's never changed in all those years.

You don't have to buy a 290x or a 780ti to significantly outperform a PS4 or an xBone...;) Lol! That'd be like swatting a gnat with a nuke...;) These consoles are at best mid-range PCs in terms of their game performance capabilities, and 1080P pretty much is their max (xBone is really a 720P box.) I've haven't gamed at < 1920x1200 (now charmingly called "Ultra HD") in years, and just *try* Eyefinity or 4k resolutions with either of these consoles...fuggedaboudit...;)

Lots of comments lament the lack of backwards compatibility for both consoles--but hey, with a PC not only can you buy what's coming for the consoles (what's worth buying, that is) and have available a lot of content unavailable for either new console--*but* the amazing thing about the PC is that with Windows you get the *last 25 years of gaming content* at your fingertips!!!! That's a *huge* library of games just waiting on the smart PC buyer--(console buyers not admitted.)

Both consoles are extremely limited versus a PC. But, here's the reality: everything I've just said above goes right over the head of the average console buyer...!...:D There you have it: that's why people buy consoles as opposed to PCs--Windows is "too hard" and so forth *chuckle* As long as people exist who have a hard time understanding the difference between a ram chip and a mouse, you're going to have console buyers to keep Microsoft and Sony, and even AMD, happy...;) I don't see that ever changing, actually.

Edit: I thought I'd add that my computers @ home have been AMD/ATi (3dfx, too) powered exclusively since 1999, in case someone might think I wrote this on behalf of nVidia...;) But AMD sells real computers, too--so it's all good...:D

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2013, 12:12.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 13:47 WaltC

Brazor wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 12:27:
For me the surprise is that Rage is on the list. Yeah I know they had that sale, but. I didn't expect it to help.

I think it's possible that the free RAGE downloads this weekend are included in the "bestselling" totals...;)

The most creative game to ever come out of ID....and it still flopped.

In the scheme of things, how id does versus itself really doesn't count for much--it's how id does versus everyone else that's important... "The most creative game ever to come out of id" isn't saying very much, is it?

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
39. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 14:52 WaltC

BitWraith wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 13:19:
The $3,000 gaming PC is a thing of the past, and it is not a valid argument to be thrown around by the console crowd anymore.

I upgraded recently. I got a pile of stuff - an AMD cpu, new case, power supply, RAM - not top of the line stuff but good enough to run crysis three playable at really high settings - all for $250. A really good Nvidia GPU is only $300. For what you're getting (a workhorse machine that does WAY more than a console can), that's a VERY good deal.

If you're buying a PC for $3,000 bucks, it's your fault for getting ripped.

Well, when he talks about "$3,000" observe that he's talking about buying multiple 3d cards costing between $550 and $1k, depending on the card. And of course you're going to need a corresponding number of monitors--or a very big one. So it's pretty easy to hit $3k without being ripped off in the process. His point is only that if you are among the few who have expensive xFire and SLI systems, then his game will actually take advantage of all that power--because very few games (if any) actually do. His other point was that $3k today will buy you a lot more powerful graphics and game hardware than you might have had a decade ago if you had spent a million dollars on a professional, high-end supercomputer system.

He did not say, in any way, shape, or form, that his game was going to require a $3k system...;) He's just not going to dumb-down the game so that it can be run/sold on consoles.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 11, 2013, 19:33 WaltC

DangerDog wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 13:38:
This makes for a good argument against purchasing "season passes" for yet to be released DLC for games.

That can't be much longer playtime then the demo for Bioshock 1, and there's probably at least 15 minutes of cinematic setup before you're actually playing.

Very few people would judge a movie based on how long it is.

Unless we're talking about some sort of action packed short movie experience at an amusement park I don't see people willing to spend $9 to watch a ten minute short film.

Even more, who is going to spend $60 to watch even a blockbuster movie? Very few. Re: none, probably. Game devs should thank their lucky stars that some customers will accept as little as 30 hours of quality game play for $60. Asking anyone to accept a game extension with an absolute outside limit of three hours of play time for $20 is asking for far too much, imo. Again, I say: let Levine release a 9-hour (if you really beat it to death, that is) BioShock game for $60 and see how many takers he'll get.

Valve screwed the pooch with its "Episodic" game play model which it then could not fulfill--we're all still waiting on HL3 and nobody is interested in another episode. Been there, done that--Valve blew the concept out of the water.

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
22. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 11, 2013, 10:48 WaltC

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 08:53:

They come from using Apple products. Only Apple fanbois are this deluded and drunk on kool-aid.

Yes, the RDF Koolaid is still flowing, apparently...;) I once postulated a theory that Mac-branded CRTs/LCDs fire a gamma-ray burst every time a Mac crashes, which effectively wipes the event from the mind of the suffering Apple customer sitting in front of it. Hence, they have no recollection of their Macs ever crashing, etc. Makes a certain kind of sense...;) Something's going on, for sure! Those of us fortunate enough to be standing off to the side when they crash, know better, however.

503 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo