Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 457 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Financial Results
21. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 21:20 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 12:57:

As for the price, $60 is the going rate at for AAA games currently and has been for the past couple of years. UT games always shipped at the top AAA price. In fact, $60 today is cheaper than the $50 that the original UT shipped at, adjusting for inflation. $50 in 1999 would be $70 today.

Problem is, the PC market for games has grown by at least 500% since 1999--so all of the "inflation" statistics prove themselves entirely bogus. The market is so much larger that a decent game should double or maybe even triple its 1999 grosses. So....today's $60 game *should be* selling for $20-$30 in order for the publishers to gross the same amount of money as in 1999, selling to the same percentage of the market. A discussion of inflation since 1999 without at the same time discussing how much larger today's market is than it was in 1999 is useless.

The market is so much larger that $60 is, imo, a rip-off price. Looking at it honestly, though, $60 price tags for PC games don't hold up very long, fortunately--they reduce very quickly, usually. (A month after Skyrim debuted on the PC for $60 I bought it through a Steam sale for $40.) The people who suffer the most rip-off are console owners as their game prices tend to remain artificially high for lengthy periods of time--PS3 & xb360 each sold a total of ~75M units during their last seven years (for a total of 150M consoles). At the same time, PCs sold at an average rate of 300M per year, for a total of 2.1 Billion PCs sold worldwide compared to 150 Million units for xb360 and PS3 combined. That's why the MSRP's for console games are so slow to drop compared to their PC counterparts--there are a lot fewer of them in the console market than there are gaming PC market (if only 15% of all the PCs sold during that time frame are considered "gaming machines" that's still 315 Million gaming PCs in the market--or roughly double the number of Sony and Microsoft consoles.)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2013, 20:47 WaltC

Apparently it's true, then. Mattress is gone--and to Zynga of all places. Poor fellow--sheesh, what a demotion. I cannot figure out how the guy made such a mess of the xb1 launch, though. It's a real mystery. If that's an accurate reprint of Ballmer's memo (obviously leaked deliberately) then I'd say Steve's got his head so full of buzzwords it's a miracle he can see straight. They're hitting the bong hard at Microsoft these days, it looks like. Good grief. Anyone in the company know how to communicate in plain English these days?

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga
22. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 16:03 WaltC

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:27:
1badmf wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:25:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:21:
Heh, Don Mattrick looks like the kind of tool that would cower before Steve Ballmer, yeah.

I never understood that whole thing anyway. If my boss threw a chair at me, shit would be ON. (and if you're not physical enough to want to fight the guy, then sue the living shit out of him.)

Creston

wait wait... that chair throwing thing actually happened? i thought that was just a rearranging-chairs-on-the-titanic type of joke.

It happened: the guy testified about it.

Yea, it happened according to this guy's statement--he said, she said, isn't it? It doesn't appear there were any witnesses, and the guy who made the statement isn't exactly impartial, is he? Most of all--this is a very minor civil-suit issue, anyway. He does make it clear, though, that Ballmer did not throw the chair *at him*...;) And Ballmer isn't on trial for anything and is accused of nothing. Ballmer's rant as described was addressed at Google, not the employee. That's the way it reads to me, anyhow...

But, this Mattrick rumor has all the earmarks of a rumor (as opposed to a fact.) I mean, "Zynga"? Come on--that's lame! Zynga is all but defunct and right now Mattrick has the credibility of a berserk moose. I mean, I can't even see Zynga hiring Mattrick--for what????

I would not be surprised to see all of these Microsoft phony-baloney's like Mattrick getting the ax at Microsoft, though. Sinofsky couldn't exit quickly enough for me--he looked like a cross between Jean Luc Picard and Bozo the Clown, if you ask me, and thought like one, too.

(More importantly, I'm a member of the Anti-bald League and president of the local chapter. We want to put all the phony baldies away somewhere--will only the real Bald People please stand up! Ballmer needs to watch out--does he shave it--his bald pate!--or doesn't he shave it? That is the question. Better put that razor down, Stevie boy, if you are using it--because if you are, we're coming for you, Stevie!)

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
86. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 20:17 WaltC

NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:37:
To be fair, it might be as easy as flipping a switch for Larry and Don, but the people who actually have to implement all this shit and have no say in the decision making probably now have a lot of crunch time ahead of them. All because these fucktards can't make up their minds. How much? Impossible to say without knowing their development process, but the bitch of development is that it is sometimes harder to remove something than it is to add it.

Nah...;) None of that software was anywhere near remotely done, I'd bet on it. In any event Microsoft would have found it had bitten off way more than it could chew with its boasts of "game sharing" and its threats of DRM everywhere else. Talking about that kind of thing for one console is one thing--when you start talking a million consoles with each group of 10 xb1 owners sharing games--then at most you've got 1 xb1 owner out of every 10 who buys a game! The other 9 people get to play it gratis--free of charge!

That would go over with game devs like a lead balloon, seems to me. Not to even talk about publishers. I don't think the "shared library" thing would ever have worked--and all the customer uproar at present simply provides Microsoft with an excuse to ditch a "feature" they'd never have implemented anyway.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 11, 2013, 14:31 WaltC

Ugly/hideously impractical/horrifically expensive...are words that come to mind when looking at Apple's take on its new Mac Pro. Ugh.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 30, 2013, 20:46 WaltC

...whereas the xbox1 is not (first & foremost a video game console.)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2013, 11:36 WaltC

Good grief. If that's what EA's "CTO" thinks, no wonder the company is so far out of touch with reality. Yea, Maybe "8-10 times faster" than an xBox 360--sure. But Jaguar doesn't come close to even a mid-range, discrete-gpu computer in gaming performance.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
33. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 14:53 WaltC

I liked Beth's allusion to "time"...meaning that, it seems to me, they had no "15-20-hour" game ripoffs anywhere in the planning stages.
Last company I heard publicly remark that it believed its games were "too long" was Gas Powered Games--and look where that strategy put them. Bethesda has the right of it.

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
26. Re: AMD Says No More DirectX? Apr 13, 2013, 13:34 WaltC

Wow..;) The BS in this thread runs deep...;) Microsoft takes its cues on the formulation of D3d versions from AMD & nVidia--of course--as these are the companies who support the APIs with their hardware. The fact is that simply because at this moment in time no one is talking about D3d12 doesn't mean there will never be a D3d 12. Period. That's it. (This thread sounds like something straight out of 1995--except those threads had a lot more pertinent information in them...;)) I guess if there is a way to misunderstand a comment, someone on the Internet will figure it out and do it just to make headlines.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 6, 2013, 12:21 WaltC

And underwear sales will top both Windows and "Apple device" sales. So what? Some people draw really stupid conclusions.  

News Comments > Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated
18. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated Apr 6, 2013, 11:49 WaltC

Patch is apparently not on ModDB, and I can't seem to get it from The Patches scrolls at all--keeps telling me the source is unreadable and to try later--at any rate my normal 25k/s down from TPS does me little good!...;)  

News Comments > Rhode Island Alleges 38 Studios Deception
14. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 14:04 WaltC

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 13:44:
Yeah no business leader would ever commit fraud. No politician would be naive enough to believe a sales-pitch involving new jobs in their state.

That's because no politician would ever commit fraud, eh?....;)

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 12:35 WaltC

Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:33:
Right now tablets aren't productivity tools, they are media consumption devices. The Surface Pro did nothing to change that and it is prohibitively expensive in this economy.

Excellent point! I shall remember it!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 12:31 WaltC

Tom wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 09:41:
It seems like there's a lot of confusion about what to do with these different form factors. It doesn't help that the lines between form factors are constantly being blurred in various ways.

It's good to hear some positive things about the Surface Pro here and there. It got a lot of so-so reviews which, combined with the price, are probably hurting it. Personally I'm looking forward to the next-gen lower power CPUs from Intel that should make a device in this form factor much more appealing. Less heat generation, less bulk, more battery life... mmn.

I really think it's very simple. If you want a portable with a touch screen instead of a keyboard, buy a tablet. If you want a portable with a keyboard, buy a laptop. If you don't need a portable then you're freed up to do some shopping and you can equip it however you like and chances are it will be less expensive than a portable, have many times the computational power and storage capacity, and be so easy to service and upgrade that you can do it yourself with components you can buy from a store shelf. If you don't need a portable, then by all means get a "real computer"...;)

Actually, considering their extremely limited utility, I was surprised to see that Microsoft had sold 1.1m RT tablets as I would have expected interest in such a non-functional device to be close to nil. (Because it doesn't run x86 Windows software and isn't physically compatible with x86 Windows.)

My personal opinion is that the public's interest in tablet form factors is already starting to wane as the limitations of these devices become more obvious and well known. When was the last time you read a tablet review that talked about the things you can't do with it that you routinely do with a desktop/laptop computer? I don't think I've ever read such a review, which is partially why it has taken so long for people to see the many downsides of tablets versus even laptops, let alone desktops.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
62. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 14:55 WaltC

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:31:

Except, of course, that complaining against DRM has worked time and time again. Without complaints and boycotts, Starforce would still be fucking over a huge amount of computers on a daily basis. Without complaining and boycotts, Ubisoft would still be as retarded as EA. Without complaining and boycotts, every game would come with a three-machine activation limit. Without boycotts and complaining, TAGES would still be in use by a large amount of publishers, rather than solely being forced upon legitimate customers by Deep Silver. (Enjoy it when it ships with Saints Row 4, guys...)

DRM is not a given, it's not some unalienable burden that man has to subject himself to like taxes, and it's sure as fuck not time to stop fucking complaining about it.

People do, however, need to realize that complaining about it on a forum while at the same time buying the DRM in question serves no purpose whatsoever. Hello, everyone who bought Diablo 3! (and SimCity!)

Creston

Lots of games these days advertise "DRM-free" as a selling point: everything on Gog.com and the new Tex Murphy Fedora Project just for starters. DRM is not only not a given it's actually a prime reason some games don't sell as well as they should. Some developers get it--some don't. Heck, not only do I pass on DRM, I won't even buy a game that doesn't "save anywhere, anytime"! I pass on console fare.

But deliberately designing an advertised single-player game to require an EA server just to play the game is not really even "honest" DRM, it's just manipulative and sneaky. If they want to change the SimCity advertising to say "Multiplayer only and only on EA servers," fine. That's at least being honest, and honesty is EA's entire problem here. Had they been honest from the beginning they'd have had far fewer sales and the problems might not even have manifested.

I'm still curious about the OS X ram requirements for the game being 2x what they are for Windows--sure sounds like a D3d-to-OpenGL wrapper to me at the moment...;) Wow--that would be something I haven't seen in years--not since my 3dfx days.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
56. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:40 WaltC

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy a single-player game which is dependent on remote servers to run. Why? When the servers go down, either temporarily or permanently, there goes the game and there goes your dough along with it. Even if you don't care about this kind of DRM and can take it or leave it, you ought to care a lot about server dependency. I bought several SimCity games in the past but I surely won't buy this one. And that's exactly why.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
67. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 09:17 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:00:
No they didn't, that's misrepresenting what they said.

"That is just a performance decision," Quigley told IncGamers. "Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities. At some point in the future, especially with mainstream computers become more capable, we could certainly make the city sizes larger."

He said that as a mainstream game, it needs to run on "your dad's PC" as well as yours. But as PCs get more capable, he claims the update will come at some point. "We'll eventually get around to expanding the city size but I canít make any promises as to when."

Not the same as holding it back as a feature.

Doesn't the fact that the game was required to utilize network servers contradict their own statement as you have quoted it? They say they didn't build in bigger cities because current computers weren't powerful enough--then they add that they built the game to run on "Dad's PC". EA ships plenty of games that won't run well on "Dad's PC" *and* that run locally, so if this EA game consumes that much in the way of resources in order to run, then it will quickly clog up and destroy the network that's attempting to run critical parts of the game. Unless EA is using "Dad's PC" for their servers then this statement makes little sense at all. The power of the local computer is not an issue here. The power of EA's network is the issue. Very poor game design, very poor.

It really makes no sense at all for EA to make a game dependent on a network to help run parts of the game--and then talk about the constraints of "Dad's" local computer to explain why they didn't build in bigger cities. The bottleneck here is the network, not the local computers the game is running on.

If EA was really aiming for "Dad's PC" then the game should have been strictly 2d, and the networking model should have been dropped (What if "Dad" is still on dial up?) EA is surely talking out of both sides of its mouth here.

IMO, EA was simply trying to do a Diablo III with this game. They are getting what they deserve for worrying more about piracy than about the quality of their game for paying customers. EA has its priorities exactly backwards.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
61. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 08:41 WaltC

EkimDeLhi wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 01:07:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:36:
Doesn't matter. If Sim City preorder/launch sales break even or generate any profit you will only see more bullshit like this. If the game is a loss for EA you will never see another Sim City again.

As to your second point, it's starting to feel like EA has already killed it.

Hopefully, EA will then sell the IP to someone who can use it to make the kind of game people want to buy.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 5, 2013, 16:51 WaltC

I think instead of a "mammoth-sized game" what he was actually talking was the first-person shooter...at least, that's the way the text reads.

Horror game sounds great--but I won't be interested in 10-hour adventure-horror games, either. I like deep and involved story lines and a minimum of 30 hours of absorbing game play. The 5-10 hour stuff belongs on cell phones and should sell at cell-phone game prices, too.

News Comments > Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter
5. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 21:22 WaltC

Great Stuff!

457 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo