Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 19, 2014, 16:46 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 12:20:
When was the last time AMD actually made some money? How do you stay in business when you have lost money every single quarter for at least the last decade?

Or is it just a ploy to write off taxes.

It's imperative that you get your facts straight in order to answer your question...;)

AMD showed a profit last quarter, btw. (Q4 2013.)

Had it not had to pay GF a $213M payment this quarter (the last payment it has to make to GF, btw), the company would have shown a $193M profit *this quarter*, instead of a $20M loss.

So first of all it isn't true that AMD has never shown a profit--the company has shown plenty of profits over the years, has tons of investor confidence, and a plethora of products unmatched by either nVidia or Intel. The *only* place that AMD is lacking at the moment in relation to Intel is the high-end x86 cpu business--in the middle-to-low end sectors (i5 and below, where most cpu sales are made) AMD is every bit the equal of Intel in the cpu business, and AMD really blows Intel away in the gpu business (Intel offers nothing competitive.)

In fact, when it came to choosing the hardware for both Sony and Microsoft's new-gen consoles, nobody came close to what AMD could bring to the table. AMD provided a bang-for-the-buck that nobody could equal (obviously.)

Hopefully, now you understand why AMD is still alive and kicking. Better be glad, too, else that Intel cpu you obviously are running would cost you 2x-4x more than it presently does--if you could even buy it at all. Where Intel's cpu tech would be today without AMD's influence is anybody's guess. My guess: it would not be nearly so good as it is. Even if you don't buy AMD's cpu products (I have owned nothing but AMD since 1999) AMD is still your very good friend in terms of pushing Intel to offer good deals instead of the really bad ones it offered prior to the advent of Athlon so many years ago.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2014, 12:34 WaltC

These articles are written by people who are paid by AV companies to scare you into buying an AV program, no doubt. I've used MSE on several machines over the past decade and it has never let me down. It updates itself an average 1-2 times *per day*, and on the couple of occasions that I picked up something following up an obscure web page link from a search engine, for instance, the real-time component has caught the Trojans *the instant* they hit my system (a few milliseconds after I opened the infected link.) It caught them, immobilized them, removed them and informed me all in the space of a second or two. Great work. I've recommended it for years and never had someone repudiate my advice--seems to work very well for everyone. Has a very light footprint, doesn't clog up your OS and applications with layers of crap and sludge and slow you down, keep other programs from running, etc.

True story: I once tried MalwareBytes. First I ran MSE and scanned C:\. Then I uninstalled MSE and installed the latest MWB and scanned C:\ again, just to see if MWB could find something that MSE could not. At first I was surprised as MWB made this long list of *fifty* or so things it identified as "possible/probable" viruses. So I proceeded to examine each one individually--took up about 45 minutes of my time only to discover that *every single item* MWB flagged was merely a friggin' orphaned text string in the registry belonging to an uninstalled or since-updated program! Just some...registry...text...about as harmful as oxygen, and not one single solitary threat/virus! In other words, MSE gave me the same result *without* the 50 or so false positives MWB gave me (and the wasted time). IMO, the hallmark of a poor av program is that it gives you false positives on a recurring basis to convince you that it is doing something.

MSE has never given me a reason to switch.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2014, 12:02 WaltC

It was another LoonyWorld article...;) You'd think these people would know by now that in order to keep updating an OS--any OS, you name it--you have keep updating it! It's the equivalent of saying that "Microsoft ended support for Windows XP with Service Pack 1!" And then they "ended support for WinXP Svc Pack 1 when they published service pack 2," etc. It's idiotic--just another weirdo Microsoft basher, imo.  

News Comments > Origins Ditches Discs
19. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 11:14 WaltC

It's so like EA not to understand that the files on disks are 100% digital, too. In fact, they are the same files, exactly.  

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
71. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 29, 2014, 10:48 WaltC

OricAtmos wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 08:19:

Edit: oh, and if they hadn't bundled IE with Windows, I wouldn't have been able to download any other browser.

Great point! It's a point I often made long ago--about how supporting Internet connectivity in an OS was very much like including placeholder drivers for most hardware. The response I'd get back was often like:

"Yea, but did they have to support Internet connectivity so well?"

As usual, Microsoft's "sin" in the eyes of some was that its software was "too good" to ship with Windows, because that made it more difficult for companies to compete, so it was "unfair" of Microsoft to offer the consumer any alternatives. The other companies voicing such sentiments were upset that they weren't allowed free reign to sell consumers inferior software--at least, that's how I interpreted their remarks...;) In the eyes of Microsoft's competitors, consumers often simply didn't count.

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
70. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 29, 2014, 10:28 WaltC

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 00:01:
You seem to have forgotten exactly what set off those lawsuits, which is that MS bundled IE into Windows, and then actively made it hard to nearly impossible for other browsers to get installed. So yeah, what they did was pretty bad.

This never, ever was the case--it never happened. Most of us were running Netscape browsers when Microsoft launched IE (Microsoft came very late to the browser party), and Netscape had a huge monopoly percentage of the mainstream browser market--far larger than even IE has today. I ran Communicator right alongside IE for years--never had a moment's trouble installing any other browser. You've gotten bad information or else you've simply misinterpreted something you read. Trust me, Windows put as many barriers up against other browsers as it put up against other word processors, games and paint programs--which is to say, none. Anything to the contrary is pure propaganda--almost as bad as most Apple-speak has always been...;)

Also, iOS is not a monopoly. It's a closed system, sure, but Apple is entitled to do so on its own devices. iOS does not completely dominate the entire smartphone market the way Windows OS did in the 90s.

The Windows OS still completely dominates the PC market--which, btw, even just last year saw the sale of many, many more PCs than tablets--a multiple more, in fact. But it's not because of anything underhanded that Microsoft has done. It's because unlike, say OS X, Windows is far more useful because it supports far more hardware than OS X, and far more software than OS X. That's why I use Windows, anyway--I can do a lot more with it. It's that simple.

Ehm, that is exactly what most people are worried about: What Facebook COULD do now that they bought the Oculus Rift. Because they could turn it into an absolutely worthless piece of shit.

Well, for me, the story is in the FB money used to buy this technology that hasn't yet produced a product and made a penny in profits for $2B. I just read today about Microsoft buying up an entire VR company and a portfolio of patents and schematics for an estimated 100-150 million dollars--and that's way, way less than $2B. Some people became very rich off this FB deal very quickly, and it would be nice to know who...;) Who knows, though, because FB stockholders have got to be a weird bunch of investors in the first place...;)

News Comments > etc., etc.
18. Re: etc., etc. Mar 22, 2014, 08:59 WaltC

How is it that people who are hired by software companies and should know better are the very ones who don't know that Twitter isn't private and that if they want "private" they need to email? Put a soapbox out on the street and make speeches or become a Twit--it's your choice and either one is very, very public. (I'll pass, but thanks just the same.)

Or, hey, how about this--how about making your public comments anonymously so that in case you say something stupid it doesn't blow back on you...? Are people so silly and egotistical that they need something as lame as Twitter to validate themselves as human beings, and if they don't get that cuddly reassurance they might otherwise off themselves?

If the guy wasn't fired, that means he decided on his lonesome to simply quit his job and go from a salary to--as he put it--"no money." So that was his decision apparently. It's for certain "the Internet" didn't fire him...;)

Besides, if this is the kind of thing it takes for him to lose 50lbs he needs to lose for the sake of his health and his family's welfare--then it seems he's coming out smelling like a rose. I mean, if you're dead then a good job and "being liked on Twitter" won't mean a very much, seems to me.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 13:45 WaltC

This article is classified as "stupid filler crapola" designed to generate page hits, imo.

Perhaps Ars will write one about the "perfect" woman: 3 feet tall with a flat head and no teeth...;)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
54. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 19:42 WaltC

Task wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:06:
BitWraith wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:28:

Afraid this is true. Anyone who argues that 3D is alive and well in the home is just trying to defend a bad purchase on their part.

I think its alive as far as gaming goes, but for theater ticket adventures or home theater I never see 3D movies, I hate it, since I wear specs, but when gaming I'm closer to my screen so I don't have to wear specs.

As far as gaming goes, "3d" isn't 3d, it is stereoscopy...:) "3d" as a term is commonly misused to replace "stereoscopy" in games today, and is just a marketing term aimed at confusing the simple-minded (like all marketing aims to do.)

"3d" as it relates to games means a simulated 3d (3 dimensions, width, height, and depth) on a 2d screen, that is most commonly accomplished today with 3-dimensional objects comprised of polygons (which require 3d accelerators that have absolutely nothing to do with stereoscopy, aren't used in movies, don't require glasses, etc.) The first successful and *workable* 3d accelerator was the Voodoo 1, made by 3dfx in the mid to late 90's, which was powered by an API called GLIDE inside of Windows (I owned one.)

Stereoscopy, however, dates from the 1800's, actually, and was first used in the US movie theater in the 1950's, requiring the use of red/blue lensed glasses worn in the theater in order to see the so-called "3d" illusions in the movies. Stereoscopic "3d" as seen in movies has always been more of a fad that comes and goes, usually once a 30-year generation (as the next generation has usually never heard the term and so it seems "new" to them, etc.)

Here's a very good article on stereoscopy (called "3d" in the movie biz, and misnamed "3d" in the gaming biz.)

As "3d" in games actually presents the eye and brain with a real x and a real y, but a simulated z (depth) axis, the 3d illusion in a 3d game never requires glasses with differing lenses because it is presented to the user exactly as the human brain sees depth in real life. In stereoscopy, each lens in the glasses admits lightwaves of differing frequencies so that each eye sees something slightly different from the other eye, and when the brain puts the two images together so that they are intelligible, the result is an illusion of depth that is entirely artificial. Because the brain is responsible for the illusion of depth two functioning eyes are required along with lenses which admit differing lightwaves to each eye. People with vision in one eye as opposed to two cannot see the stereoscopic illusion at all; indeed, even in people with two functioning eyes a side-effect of the brain's work to make the images intelligible causes nausea and other uncomfortable effects for some people, as well.

3d gaming, otoh, requires no lenses and the brain needs not to create an illusion since the illusion of the z axis is created on the screen in the same way that depth exists as a real dimension perceivable by people with two eyes, no special lenses, and quite often even by people with a single eye (who with some training can learn to perceive depth with only one eye.)

Often, too, today, "3d" games employ real 3d gaming technology on top of which a stereoscopic layer is put down so that with the right lenses hopefully two illusions of depth are created. Mathematically speaking, though, the only "true" 3d is *not* created by stereoscopy but by 3d-game technology which requires 3d accelerators (made today by AMD and nVidia, and to a much lesser extent, by Intel, too.)

I have come to often hate the distortions and inaccuracies that marketing creates, and the term "3d game" has been badly abused in that manner ever since stereoscopy has come back for another fad run of limited popularity (a few years ago)...!

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
25. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 23, 2014, 08:44 WaltC

I think it's up to Schafer & Co. to assign whatever value they want to to so-called "non-backers." I rather think he's assigned far too much value to them by getting so upset because of some dumb Internet-think projected his way. I have a healthy interest in the KS projects I back and almost no interest at all in the ones I don't. My interest in projects I don't back is best summed up as: "After it ships, I'll think about picking up a copy. Maybe."

Schafer is in need of learning how not to wear his feelings on his sleeve. If the usual spoiled-brat I-'net mentality of "All your code belong to us" gets wind that he's sensitive, that's when they'll stoke the fires and turn up the heat on the stupid-think...;) What Schafer should say is something diplomatic but firm, like, "We welcome creative input from all parties, but of course are especially attuned to the desires of the people paying us to make this game, our KS backers."

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
69. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 31, 2014, 08:04 WaltC

JSP wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 14:51:

Mmmhmm, now let's hear from developers who AREN'T being paid by AMD to implement it. And you're trying to put words in HardOCP's mouth by taking that out of context -- it doesn't change the results of the tests. That's how CPU tests are done, by minimizing the graphics-related variables as much as possible. AMD CPUs are simply slower than Intel's, it's a fact. Not just in gaming, but all applications; at best they come within spitting distance at video conversion, but everything else is no contest.

AMD themselves know and publicly state that their intent is not to be competing with Intel on the high end of desktop processors, because they simply cannot. They would bankrupt themselves in trying right now. But I guess since that part of the article (basically the entire Conclusion) doesn't serve you and your frail argument, you just ignore it...

Mmmhmm, yea, let's *hear* from the developers who are being paid, first, shall we? Oh, there aren't any? Oh, and they always specifically state in public that AMD is *not* paying them to implement Mantle? Oh, I get it--you've got cotton in your ears or else your reading comprehension isn't so good...;) Or, maybe you think these developers are lying through their teeth? Is that it? Maybe you'd like to talk about which ones are lying...?

Speaking of performance, AMD's IGP's (that's a cpu with an integrated gpu, in case you didn't know) blow Intel's out of the water (this has been true for years) and nVidia makes nothing competitive, either.

As for straight cpus, AMD cpus easily (FX 6xxx and 8xxx, specifically) keep up with with i3's and i5's--no problem, and often out-perform them, while costing about the same, if not less. So, is it your contention that Intel sells no i3's and i5's and that there is no market there? (I doubt you've even thought about the subject that deeply.)

The *only* place where AMD isn't performance competitive is in the top-tier i7 Intel cpu category--you know, the consumer cpus costing $300 and up? (Intel cpus specifically made for people who can't enjoy a game running an AMD cpu at 130fps because they've been brainwashed by propaganda telling them they can't enjoy a game unless they can also run a benchmark telling them they are running that game at 150 fps--on their 30% more expensive Intel cpu. Lol...;) Intel can see these folks coming a mile away--they've got giant "SUCKER" targets painted on their backs.)

And to top it all off, we aren't talking about the fact that in the discrete 3d-card market, Intel doesn't even place and is not in the running, leaving nVidia as AMD's only competitor in that market space.

Your anti-AMD argument is no argument at all, just a load of half-baked Internet flotsam, but I think you already know that.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2014, 14:53 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 13:24:
Good one, Al. I agree, all car companies should be crystal clear on this stuff.

Please don't encourage schmucks like Franken--the guy is as phony as a $3 bill...;) He was always only a mediocre comedian on Saturday Night Live, and he's pretty much a joke in Congress. Everything the guy does is pure political posturing. Ugh. He'll grasp at any "issue" or invent it himself just to draw attention to himself. He is one of the new-breed Obama-styled narcissists, don't 'ya know.

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 10:21 WaltC

*dup*  

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 10:19 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:04:
Im not sure I follow. What is your point? That the Wired article is mostly moronic douchebag drivel that panders to the 'poor' tech companies while painting the big bad wolf government as evil? Im not sure anyone is in disagreement here.

If that's true, then good deal. It just wasn't that obvious from a couple of the posts. I'm probqbly guilty of knee-jerk, because I'm so tired of the idiotic "spying/the sky is falling" articles that our idiot press is so fond of printing these days. Yes, you summed up my sentiments admirably...;)

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 09:58 WaltC

Please don't tell me you believed that moronic NSA article. It was written by a moron. How many times must it be drummed into people's heads that just because it's published on the Internet does not mean that it is true, or even rational, for goodness' sake.

Yea, we live in an age in which people cherish profit--especially the profit coming from page hits generated by an article so full of speculation and rubbish that it would play much better as a skit on Saturday Night Live. Enter the gullible Internet reader who believes everything he reads. Unreal. If someone wrote a "factual" article explaining how Obama turns into a coyote every night and howls at the moon and raids garbage cans until sunup--sure enough, someone reading it would believe it.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
2. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:21 WaltC

I buy lots of games from Steam and like the service, but I'm not blind...;) Sure, if you're a developer, why bother with Microsoft's DRM when you can do Steam's DRM? Steam's is an order of magnitude more effective. It's fairly easy to fool the GFWL DRM, not so trivial to spoof a Steam account, though.  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
49. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 10:08 WaltC

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 05:41:
The problem is that you can do that already. Build a pc/htpc, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, wireless controller, and still have a fully functional computer. Why use steamOS when its just going to take away options rather then add?

It's gratifying to see that most people in this thread know this and understand it pretty well. Still, there are a few outliers who cling to this notion that there's something "different" about "Steambox."

As you say, there's not. These are bog standard, off-the-shelf x86 Windows PCs in every respect *except* for the fact that Windows supports a ton more hardware and ten tons more third-party software than SteamOS. Boot up SteamOS and automatically time-travel backwards ~15 years ago, or so. Really, it's not fair to say even that at the moment because SteamOS is in such a buggy alpha state that it isn't fit for the bathroom, let alone the living room...;)

Of course Valve has announced a lot of "partners" for the Steambox--heh--all any of them has to do is slap a Steambox decal on configurations they already manufacture and there's your "Steambox." This whole thing reeks of a publicity stunt designed simply to market the Steamworks store, frankly. Sometimes I think Gabe's ego is even bigger than he is...;)

Folks who think all this presages some sort of "year of the desktop" for Linux in general are going to be disappointed, yet again. Seems like if you're a Linux enthusiast someone's always jerking your chain, eh?

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
7. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 13:33 WaltC

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 12:54:
The last time I looked at this it was useless because of the way they have it set up. If I am playing Skyrim from my library and somebody else wants to play XCom from my library, too bad. Until that's possible Family Share is a joke.

You have the right of it. As it was with Microsoft prior to Microsoft abandoning any pretext of it, "sharing" is little more than a PR gimmick with very little offered in the way of substance.

News Comments > Friday Tech Bits
2. Re: Friday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2013, 23:34 WaltC

Axis wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 17:59:
Mac Pro article one of the most moronic I've yet to read -- Mac heads... still gladly fooling themselves to this day.

As long as ignorance exists, the Apple Mac RDF (reality distortion field) will, too...;) As it is, the words (ignorance, Mac) are almost synonyms, anyway. It's sad, though, to see ignorant people with enough money to throw away on The Spittoon...! "Apple tax" doesn't scratch the surface of all the "gotcha's" in these products that are deliberately hidden and obfuscated in Mac marketing material and therefore never seen or commented on by the e-zine I'net authors who don't know enough about owning computers (Macs or PCs) over a span of years to make and understand such commentary in the first place. Questions like: "Why is it not a good a idea to spend thousands of dollars on custom computer components with miserly one-year factory warranties?" They don't know the answers and most often cannot even understand such questions...;) There are many more such pertinent questions professional commentators would ask and answer that these people most often never do. Ah, well, Caveat Emptor--a fool and his money, easily parted, etc.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $35 Million
28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:15 WaltC

Schilling has to be rolling over in the ashes of his dead 38 Studios...that's fully *half* the money he borrowed from the RI state government...! Had he not so thoroughly blown his credibility with that misguided effort he would more than likely have had much better success with crowd funding. At any rate, he'd have been better off crowd sourcing either way--win or lose. At least had he not successfully crowd-funded then he'd never have wound up in hock to a clueless state government.

I still think RI should have rolled with 38 Studios for another $75M, if that's what it took--because, bear in mind that this wasn't just *a game* Schilling was trying to develop, it was an entire *game company* based in RI he was attempting to found, a RI company that would have kept hiring and providing jobs for the tiny state for years to come. Considering how much in the way of entitlements RI gives away each year--that provide it no ROI whatever--and considering how many state-funded RI projects routinely go way, way over their original budgets (typical of governments everywhere), RI's reaction was pretty much the same as taking the game company *and* the $75M and just burning them both in a wheelbarrow. Of course, burning through tax-payer money is a normal government function, anyway.

Got a bit side-tracked, sorry...;)

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo