Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 411 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2014, 11:03 WaltC

Graphics & gaming...and for ATi & AMD...that started about 15 years ago ~1999, roughly. Two companies, 15 years each = 30 years. I would think that is the only way they could come up with this number. AMD had a really nice gaming cpu in 1999, the original Athlon. But ATi, well, ATI really didn't enter the 3d gaming arena in a strong way until R300 in 2002. However, long before 3d gaming came to be, 2d games were very popular, and ATi made some decent 2d accelerators pre-R300 (they also had several attempts at 3d, but they were all pretty poor efforts so I won't count those...;))

Man, this makes me realize just how recent 3d gaming really is...!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 21, 2014, 15:30 WaltC

Great idea (I think) would be to allow any local government anywhere to start up its own municipal broadband, with the proviso that whatever taxpayer funds it spends to do so would be matched by local-government grants of the same amounts to the local cable companies those governments have already licensed to do business in their areas.

I think that's the extent of the private company objections--that they cannot compete with tax-payer subsidized businesses. But that's the problem with the whole Municipal Broadband concept as far as the public is concerned--they think it's yet another Obama-styled promise of something-for-nothing. Once they discover they'll have to pay for it, and how much it will cost them, they may well have second thoughts about the whole thing. Yes, it might wind up being better than what they presently have, but then again, it might wind up being much worse.

In general, though, I favor the idea of municipal broadband (and I vacillate between (R) and (I)...;)) I favor it because it will motivate the private companies like Comcast to get off their duffs and stop spending so much money buying other companies and start upgrading the Internet connection speeds they presently offer to their existing customers.

I have an incredibly good ISP these days (Cogent) and I average 50Mb/s down & up(!), and I do so for the price of Comcast's ~6Mb/s down, 512k up service (which I had previously for about 15 years.) Sadly, I don't think I'm a typical case, though, because I sit 75 feet from my fiber Internet connection and I connect to that via an EWAN. But if people can find the right ISP and get close enough to the fiber (heck, they brought the fiber right into my apartment building!) they'll be able to do the same.

Edit: typos

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2014, 15:36.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
2. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 10:13 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 10:03:
Still Ugly but in now in 3d. Yay!

Yup, always ugly, always 3d, but soon in stereoscopy, too...;) (Assuming someone cares.)

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
4. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support Aug 16, 2014, 12:35 WaltC

Hard to believe that anyone alive hasn't already updated to 8.1...;) This reminds me of Win7 and service packs--all the numbskulls who refused to go to SVC pck 1 & so forth, because of some obscure principle that made sense to precisely two people (usually people who objected to the idea of paying for their OS, etc.)...!

This is really old news (60 days +) as we are now on 14.7RC3 beta and the decision to drop 8.0 wddm 1.2 support (because wddm 1.3 is better) began two months ago, with the 14.6 betas.

Partly, this silliness is Microsoft's fault, too--since it should have called 8.1 "service pack 1" in the established Windows tradition of service packs--because that is exactly what 8.1 is. This is what happens when marketing people are put in charge of naming technical products--rarely does anything make any sense until you get past the silly marketing.

Like, there are going to be no more "patch Tuesdays" at Microsoft because some marketing hillbilly decided that "update Tuesday" sounds better--so we're getting "update Tuesdays", instead. Predictably, some dumb people are running around screaming "No more patching from Microsoft!" If there's a way to break something that is already fixed, it will be a marketeer who will do it.

News Comments > Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust
3. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 13:38 WaltC

Re-earn my trust? Heh...;) The guy lost that forever when he talked Sweeney into leaving the PC...the very platform that gave him his start. Like the poster before me, I think CliffyB is full of it...he's another "suck-it-down" John Romero sort of nincompoop...We don't need any more of that sort of thing...

We're watching the Peter-Principle at work--CliffyB's apex was with Epic but he hasn't realized it yet...it's all downhill for him now, most likely...The guy's a walking dictionary of cliches..."bitten of more than he can chew," and "disaster waiting to happen," etc.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 20:25 WaltC

"Congress fixing tech problems" has to be right up there with the all-time-great oxymorons...;)  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:34 WaltC

My favorite line: "Seriously, just fuck off..." and then something like, "if you're going to bring this up." The person who wrote this is so stupid that he doesn't realize *he* is the person who brought it up...;)

Troll bait this is...no doubt. But the article itself I think is an excellent and telling expose' on the minds of people who keep telling themselves that console gaming is "just as good" as what's available elsewhere. It allows us to look deeper into the mind of one of those folks than we'll ever want to look again!....Ugh.

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
18. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 15:05 WaltC

I don't know why people throw money after these penny-ante games for which the "developers" claim they can produce for a mere $50k. (Figured out on the back of a napkin at lunch no doubt.) I'd very skeptical of anyone claiming they can do a game for $50G--the people who think these things up believe that asking for a low amount is better sucker bait as more people will be willing to give smaller amounts, etc. Offers to make complex games on next to nothing like this should be viewed with FUD, in my opinion.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 20, 2014, 10:08 WaltC

panbient wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 19:12:
I wonder more about why Snowden and his team are so hung up on this drip drop method of releasing information and trying to keep his name in the press.

Like that whole 'they look at nudie pics in the office' release from last week. To my ears that sounds like scraping the bottom of the barrel. By keeping his name in the press for these kind of 'reveals' makes him seem like the conspiracy equivalent to a Kardashian.

Got to remember that Putin owns Snowden at the moment. He is an anti-US propaganda resource for the Russia that Putin wants to rebuild. Snowden has to keep his Russian masters satisfied with a steady stream of [invented] propaganda else they won't keep supporting him--or worse. They're simply using him at the moment. Who knows what will happen to Snowden when Putin tires of him and they decide he'll have more propaganda value to them dead than alive--as in "let's get rid of him and blame it on the US, etc." Sadly, there seems to be no shortage of ignorant people *in the US* who would believe the yarn.

I almost feel sorry for Snowden because of the mess he's gotten himself into. The false employment credentials he manufactured to get his job were about to be found out and he would have most certainly had a criminal court date to worry over (because lying to the Federal government in order to secure sensitive employment is not something the Feds view lightly), so he runs into the arms of what he thinks are the enemies of the US and tries to "turn the tables" on the NSA. He imagines himself "safe" in the arms of these countries about which he knows absolutely nothing. Snowden got snared in the web of his own deceit, with lies that he originally created to secure employment far above what his actual pay-grade should have been (based on his real educational background.) Had he not cheated on his NSA entrance exams, as well, he'd not have gotten his foot in the door. The fact is that before Edward Snowden went to work for the NSA sub-contractor company that hired him, he was already a confirmed liar and a cheat.

If you notice, there's always some silly *negative* nonsense coming out of Snowden--or that his masters are putting out in his name--about some popular or major institution in the US. This time it's Dropbox that he's attacking, for goodness' sake...;)

It's really actually both amusing and ironic: the NSA mythology that Snowden has created paints a picture of the power and efficacy and capability of the NSA as an organization that is leaps and bounds better than what it could ever actually be in reality...;) He's created a 100-foot tall NSA with the yarns he's been spinning--the great majority of which are simply mathematically infeasible because the NSA doesn't have near enough personnel or computer capacity to carry them off, such as the "cradle to grave" minute, detailed monitoring of every American citizen that Snowden alleges takes place in the US. (When I first read that I almost spewed coffee over my computer screen I was laughing so hard! It really is quite an absurd claim which just won't stand up under examination.) Not even the cold-war Soviet Union was capable of such feats at the height of its Iron-Curtain power...;)

In trying to damage the NSA (which never did anything to him except to hire him under the false credentials he gave them), what he's done is actually the reverse. If you can find any intelligence agency on earth that believes anything Snowden's been saying--because most of those services know better--they'll be in awe of the NSA because the agency Snowden has characterized is as powerful as Zeus--while being equally a complete myth at the same time...;)

"O, what a web we weave, when first we practice to deceive..." Snowden is a living example of this principle.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2014, 22:26 WaltC

Pigeon wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 10:23:
What I want to know is, who reads Archie? It's one of those comics that has been around forever, but I've never met someone who has claimed to read it.

Hardly anyone read it even 45 years ago, when I had a friend who read Archie & Jughead and liked it! I didn't mind the comic and had no overt objections to it--it just did nothing for me at all. There were far, far better comics to buy...I never understood why it was popular then and still don't--I actually had no idea it was still around.

So--yea, the owner of the comic finally decides to have Archie ride off into that sunset where retired comic-book characters go, but oh-no, can't have Archie's retirement go gently--oh, no--Archies got to get murdered in a blaze superficial glory--and this is the lunatic idea to polish off Archie? Uh, with so many real needs and causes in the world worth addressing--Archie goes out taking a senseless bullet--not just for "anyone," mind you, but "for a gay"...! Hello? That's it? That's the most heroic ending they could think of? I have to laugh--*no wonder* the Archie & Jughead comics were always so insufferably boring...!

Archie's heroic stand seems utterly belittled to the point of ridicule by the silly if not demeaning "gay" aspect. WTF did that have to do with anything? The sexual morality of the person that Archie took the bullet for has *nothing to do with Archie's sacrifice,* does it? It would have been no less heroic if Archie "took a bullet" for a Eunuch, a prostitute, or--get this--a person whose sexual morality wasn't even mentioned...? Does the sexual morality of the person Archie "took a bullet for" matter in the slightest? It matters not at all, and as far as I am concerned makes a mockery of the fictional "last-stand" of the eternal teenager Archie.

There are some very sick people running around today--poor Archie, what an awful send-off for the fictional character. It's so easy to think of a hundred much more interesting and informative ways to have had that character take his final bow. What a waste of paper and ink.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak
2. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 09:56 WaltC

The gist of it is:

I wanted more money. I didn't get it. So I quit.

Asked about his many embarrassing PC comments over the years. Silence. (At least through as much of it as I could stomach.)

This is most definitely a case of someone who is a legend in his own mind, and if things don't work out--hey, it's not gonna' be *his* fault.

EF

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 8, 2014, 12:31 WaltC

Typical much ado about nothing sensationalism...copper landlines are passe' if not obsolete...anyone who would want to stay on copper needs his head examined as wired digital phone service is far better. Also, under the old POTS regulations, the phone companies can charge much more for the same services you typically pay nothing extra for with digital service--why anyone would want to stay on copper is a complete mystery. I imagine at the bottom of this we'll find some bottom-feeding attorney, no doubt.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
42. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 6, 2014, 11:20 WaltC

Looks like a definite buy...;) I'm a fan of Larian Studios and hope they'll do very well with this. They've got this fellow who goes by the handle of "Raze" who is a literal font of help and info for their various games, and in far more forums than just Larian's. They should give the guy a medal, or something, because I can't recall another game company employee providing so much help to people. He's still helping out folks running Divine Divinity in the Gog forums! Wish all game companies would follow Larian's sterling example.

OTOH, there are publishers like Ubisoft whose game devs seem to think they are above helping out the people who play their games--I recently finished M&MX, and you could jump up and down and scream and yell, ask sincere questions, it didn't matter--the M&MX game devs couldn't be bothered with actually taking part in Ubisoft's own M&MX forum!

News Comments > Far Cry 4 $130 Kyrat Edition Detailed; New Trailer
12. Re: Far Cry 4 $130 Kyrat Edition Detailed; New Trailer Jul 4, 2014, 17:45 WaltC

Beamer wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 16:50:

Only half the PCs on Steam have more than 4GB of RAM, so you'll be waiting a while. UE4 will take advantage of that much RAM, but devs won't be targeting over 4GB for a long, long, long time.

Actually, this year's sleeper Ubisoft product, M&MX, that shipped in mid-January, required 4GBs and recommended 6GBs of ram. I would imagine that "less than half" of the PCs using Steam is quite a sizable number. I think games like M&MX, requiring between 4-8GBs of ram will be coming faster than it might've happened had not both new consoles shipped with 8GBs of ram onboard. Developers are already headed in that direction--which is the *one* good thing consoles have brought to the table recently. The consoles are at a disadvantage, of course, because that 8GBs must be shared with the GPU, whereas PCs have their own separate pools of videoram. For instance, I've got 8GBs system ram & 2GB's video ram, for a total of 10GBs, whereas the consoles must share their 8GB pools of ram between the cpu and the gpu, creating bus contention as just one not-so-hot side-effect. But basically, before we realize it, at least 4GB-6GBs of system ram will be the baseline for a number of upcoming PC titles, imo. Major increases in videoram, required by much higher resolutions, is coming, too, although that might not start happening until 4k resolutions become commonplace--in another year or two. The darn monitors are hardly shipping yet but they've already come way, way down in price...!

As to who might ever pay Ubisoft $129 *in advance* for a game that hasn't yet shipped--I cannot imagine one person ever doing that...;) It reminds me of the old adage: "A sucker is born every minute"...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 15:26 WaltC

Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 12:43:
Really? Strange, as in unexpected? In the US 30% of adults say they take the Bible literally, and believe in creationism and an earth that's less than 10,000 years old. Religion is a very influential factor. Would sexual orientation be an issue at all if the churches weren't banging that drum to their devotees?

Gee, guy, take a look at anatomical charts for men and women and study up on how the human race procreates (how you got here, in other words), and you may just discover the reason homosexuality has been a deviant sexual practice in every civilization on earth since the dawn of recorded history. Long before there were churches, etc.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 24, 2014, 09:56 WaltC

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 01:12:
That AMD story has a neat jab by Intel

We have publicly asked them to share the spec with us several times as part of examination of potential ways to improve APIs and increase efficiencies. At this point though we believe that DirectX 12 and ongoing work with other industry bodies and OS vendors will address the issues that game developers have noted."

Translation: Intel asked, but got nothing from AMD... that's one way to kill an API

Uh...no...;)

On the contrary, Intel was assured by AMD that they could have it when it gets out of beta and hits the 1.x version. *Right now* AMD is not letting anyone have it, except their partners during the beta-testing period. When it hits 1.0 it'll be open to anyone.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2014, 14:37 WaltC

Trashy wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:27:
WaltC wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:48:
Does Linux lack a killer app?

Good gosh no.

It lacks about 1000 killer apps.

I was just thinking it not being Windows was the Killer app..

Seriously I don't know how you people can stand using Windows it's horrible.

I agree with you this much: for most of the people who run a Linux derivative daily, who think that Windows is "horrible," their Linux OS derivative is indeed their "killer app." But that's because they run almost nothing else in the way of software, and the hardware they wish or need to support fills a very short list, indeed...;) Basically, people who prefer Windows do so because of the software and hardware support it provides them that no Linux derivative on earth can come close to matching.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2014, 14:30 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:12:
With current technology we could supply the entire USA with solar plants in Arizona, if we had enough of them. Would probably damage the environment there to have that many, but it's not like we're already damaging the environment with coal and nuclear plants already.

I will say I'm so disappointed in our government for their lack of vision. Instead of pouring money into alternative energies to make us energy independent, we'd rather pour money into the military to protect the sea lanes and questionable regimes for oil. It's impressive that Germany gets something like 15% of its electricity from renewables while we get less than 1%.

The government is not the answer and never has been. That you'd think so is a very peculiar idea,imo...;) Private enterprise will be the entity to provide the answers. BTW, your government has in fact been pouring money into alternative power development--just look at Solyndra and Fisker automotive as a couple of prime examples of where all of this "alternative energy development" money has been going: out of the government's in-the-red checkbook right into the bank accounts of hundreds of dishonest and corrupt individuals who are doing little more than robbing the hen house because "the farmer" (the government) is asleep at the switch mentally--lost in a vast ocean of perpetual delusion and political stupidity.

The government is run by pandering, nearly mewling politicians--Congress is made up primarily of inept lawyers, failed comedians, aging actors, and political hacks. Not to mention the sea of faceless, nameless bureaucrats who actually decide how the money Congress collects through taxation and deficit spending will be spent--none of them are remotely qualified as scientists, engineers, or power-plant designers, etc. (Or obviously they'd not be in Congress full-time to begin with!)

The Federal government has become little more than a corrupt money-grab of gargantuan proportions. But, most of Europe is nuclear powered; which is the cleanest, safest, and most efficient power generation possible with current technology. Amazing that we have people who talk about "power," but are scared out of their minds by nuclear power and think that recycling aluminum cans and so forth will get us where we need to be...;)

Basically, for all of recorded history, the earth's environment has steadily tried its very best to kill off the human race, through disease, famine, earthquakes, volcanoes, horrific weather events (hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons, etc.), and more. The human race has had to painfully crawl and claw its way up against the environment to establish itself in what we might think of as civilization. I'm much more concerned with our survival as a species than I am with idiotic notions of what we might be doing to an environment that has been trying to kill off the human race for millennia. This planet bears not the slightest resemblance to a "greenhouse" and is incredibly more robust than apparently a lot of people think it is. It is both disappointing and disheartening to see how a gaggle of greedy political hacks has convinced so many of such falsehoods. "Mother Earth" would as soon kill us as nurture us, no question about it...;)

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2014, 13:48 WaltC

Does Linux lack a killer app?

Good gosh no.

It lacks about 1000 killer apps.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
12. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 12:56 WaltC

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:54:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:58:
...just...lol...
Most of the Macs use Intel integrated graphics, so it really isn't a platform to consider :p

The Intel Iris 5200 plays many games just fine on my macbook pro. Is it the ultimate gaming rig? Of course not, but I can certainly still game on it.

What you call "gaming" and what I call "gaming" are no doubt two entirely different things...;)

Probably the only Mac sold today that would be capable of running the games I play would be a Mac Pro--and even that is "maybe." And, most of those games would have to be run under Windows via Bootcamp because 95%+ of the games I play are not OpenGL and have not been ported to OS X at all.

Basically, today, building your own box is the only way to go--you can build one that's less expensive than any of the OEMs will build and sell you, and you'll have higher-quality components, with better factory warranties, as well (especially an overpriced brand like Alienware, for instance.) Business is booming in the PC DIY market--just take a gander at the hundreds of options of motherboards, power supplies, gpus, ram DIMMs, hard drives and the like that sell on Amazon. If Amazon wasn't moving a ton of them they wouldn't be listed--indeed, it would be hard to find companies selling PC components individually if there weren't millions of steady buyers globally.

Gaming, of course, is for *desktops*--doesn't matter whether you're talking Macbooks or Windows laptops, desktops are *the* way to go for gaming (not to mention they'll do everything else better, too--with only one exception: running on batteries. Desktops don't that well at all...;))

Intel integrated graphics are the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to the support of games--which is exactly why many Windows laptops feature a second gpu to be used exclusively for gaming--either an AMD or nVidia gpu, alongside the Intel igp. The Intel igp is simply insufficient for any task other than low-power operation on batteries--ie, cell-phone-like gaming support.

411 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo