Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 570 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 20:19 WaltC

"Already gotten more than 2,000" complaints? Lol...;) Good grief there are 100,000,000 people online at any given time of the day, every second of every day--2,000 "complaints" is almost nothing--and here's betting that most of those complaints are from people who think they're being throttled when they're not.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
27. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 15:18 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:22:

GOG doesnt even have a real client. Well thats not right, they have Galaxy but you dont need to use it. Just use the GOG downloader, download your game and all the patches, DLC etc. and you never have to log in again. (Unless you want to download new stuff). It's nothing like Steam, there is no DRM involved. Like I said their Galaxy client is completely optional. (Hell even the GOG downloader tool is optional, you can just follow the links on the page)

Believe it or not, the last two games I bought from Steam, Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3, install with no Steam DRM--Steam doesn't have to be running for the games to play (this is not offline mode, either.) But just like with Gog, you have to upgrade through Steam, and if you are someone into Achievements (I'm not) you have to log in through Steam (GOG has brought Achievements to Galaxy), and if you want the Steam counter to time your play you have to play through the Steam Library interface each session. But just to play the game itself you don't even have to have Steam running...! Kudos to CDPR & Obsidian for setting this up at Steam..! It's a great precedent.

I even copied the Steam folders to a different drive location and they run fine without Steam--you could back them up to disk, etc....It's too bad Steam didn't start this way...but, yes, from now on if a game is available through GOG I'll buy it there because these two games are exceptions to the rule--there are other Steam games that don't require Steam be running, too, but most of them do. GOG has been an excellent influence on the game-publishing ethos. I bought these two games from Steam before I discovered PayPal, so I just lucked out here...

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
27. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 14:35 WaltC

Desalus wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:52:
"As gamers, one of the coolest features coming with Windows 10 is the Xbox app."

Am I missing something or is the Xbox app completely worthless if you don't own a Xbox One? Microsoft makes it sound like PC gamers should be excited about it regardless of whether or not they own a XBONE, but to me it looks like the app is entirely tied into owning the console.

Yea, I know...;) That's a "Major Nelson" site--so of course "Major Nelson" is hyping the xBox. Ugh.

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
26. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 14:30 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:14:
Here is my guide to optimal use of Windows 10 for gamers:

- Do. Not. Install.

Can't agree. Win10 is more backwards-compatible with games than Win7, believe it or not. It's also much better/faster all the way around. If you have peripherals that can run under Win7/8, chances are excellent those drivers will continue to work in Win10 even if you don't own hardware made by reputable OEMs who supply timely driver updates...;)

I've been running it for most of the last year, and have been using it exclusively for the last couple of months (nuked my 8.1 installation)--I have no games that won't run; and I have no hardware that won't run. Grabbing this free update is a no-brainer...!

The desktop is the default and the start-menu is back--you can have tiles on your desktop or not have them--it's your choice. Metro is dead (unless you like Metro, in which case you can call some of it up again.) Best thing I've seen Microsoft do. Ever. And by gosh, it's free (so long as you had enough sense to buy Win7 or Win8 from Microsoft, that is.) Even if you are still holding XP/Vista in your cold, dead fingers, Win10 is worth the price of admission.

This is the only advice I'd give, however: if you don't already own a retail license to a qualifying Windows upgrade OS, then buy a retail license to Windows 10 because the retail license follows you, not your hardware--a retail license survives hardware upgrades like motherboard & cpu swaps, an OEM license does not. A retail license for Win10 is good for pretty much the rest of your life, or until they stop making x86 personal computers entirely (whichever comes first)...!

No reason I can think of for anyone not to get on this bandwagon--it's going to mean that at some point within the next 12 months the only Windows market that will exist to any degree will be the Windows 10 market--and what a boon for software that's going to be! It's going to make software development much easier, etc. I think we are seeing the beginning of a "golden age" of software, not to put too fine a point on it...

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
89. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 16:44 WaltC

Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:58:
As usual I still don't understand why some people post comments filled with incorrect information yet are so sure they are right.
If you really want to be informed instead of just posting emotional nonsense, read this. If not, there is no point in exchanging opinions with someone that doesn't even take the time to check his/her information....

I rather doubt this "issue" is amenable to reason & judgement, but you've certainly tried to interject some of that here, and are to be congratulated for doing so...;) I think it all boils down to a single word:

Impatience...seems to be the only problem at this stage. Unfortunately, it's a common malady in human endeavors.

I'd also add that Pillars of Eternity & D: OS are *both* getting some very cool "Enhanced Edition" treatments and so both games are still actively in development at this time...despite having been released in their initial form months back.

It's a great time to be a gamer...!

I'm not in Star Citizen, myself. But I did get into the Bard's Tale IV KS, and am looking forward to seeing that that in two years...;) Patience, 007, patience...:D

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2015, 13:11 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:01:
Wow on those comments from all the right-wing extremist xtians on that Wiccan article. It boggles the mind that people like that are actually permitted to vote.

Right-wing extremists...?...;) I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks evil spirits inhabit machines is an idiot... Well, anyone dumb enough to hire this fraud, that is. Yep, probably has Masters degrees in Basic Demonology, Advanced Demonology, and "How to Cheat Imbeciles out of their Money"...;) I agree--people who believe in witches probably shouldn't be allowed to vote...!

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2015, 22:30 WaltC

What a bunch unmitigated malarkey. Derek Smart, acting stupid once again, and trying to inject himself into a situation that doesn't involve him at all...;) Figures. I guess this is what being a failure as a developer looks like--it isn't pretty.  

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
17. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 20:34 WaltC

I was never on board with the game because multiplayer space sims are not my cup of tea, but reading some of these posts I'm amazed at the number of people who apparently pledged money they could not afford to pledge, and since the game is taking longer than expected they now want refunds on their pledges...! Amazing stuff...It's very simple...if you don't want to take chances & try to snag a deal on a great game by getting in at the ground floor in the Kickstarter...then don't pledge to a Kickstarter. What could be simpler, right?

Derek Smart...that's a separate topic, really. If it is actually his name, his name is an oxymoron..! Smart? Smart continuously throws off on things he cannot himself ever do--like a Kickstarter, for instance. Can you imagine what would happen if Smart threw a KS...? A fail from day 1. They forced him to take his money back...because he just wanted a forum with a ready-made audience in which to bitch endlessly and peddle his vapoware--and they didn't want to give him one...:D They took that away, and that's just gotta' smart, eh Smart? I'm surprised the guy knows how to spell libel because he sure as heck doesn't know what it means...;) Sheeeesh!

This is a look at the ugly side of Kickstarters...people pledge $100 & think it entitles them to direct the entire game and if things happen they don't like then they want a "refund." Again, nothing in Kickstarter Land is guaranteed--you aren't buying anything when you pledge--you're *pledging,* and *if* everything goes according to plan you'll get what you expect, maybe. If you don't have the cash to risk, don't make the pledge.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 12:17 WaltC

It's not the OS...it's the Internet itself that's a never-ending string of security concerns...;)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 15:07 WaltC

Nadella's simply doing what Microsoft's hundreds of millions (> a billion) of PC customers want--the PC is still far and away the favorite global computing device, hands down. That's because not only is the PC far more powerful than any other "device", it's also far more upgrade-friendly, software friendly, and its bang-for-the-buck blows cell phones out of the water. The primary purpose of cell phones is to make phone calls & the primary purpose of PCs is computing--(You think?) Microsoft lost track of things with Windows 8 but now the company is coming full circle back to where its bread is buttered. What's great about Nadella is that he's a genuine computer software guy--not a hyped-up salesman like Ballard, whose past successes came from simply being at the right place at the right time to enjoy the credit for other people's work--and so erring with Windows 8 was something a Nadella would not have done. Nadella understands why the PC is in no danger of ever fading away and that's a relief...;) (Not even Apple is using the phrase "post-PC" anymore, because that was garbage PR from day 1.)

I'm afraid its Ars that's headed for obscurity, most likely...;)

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
4. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 8, 2015, 21:37 WaltC

Yep, it's a no-brainer...You're going to drop $650 on yesterday's tech, or tomorrow's? HBM is the future, and the potential of the Fury has yet to be tapped, imo. First really exciting tech advance in discrete 3d cards since R300 back in 2002.

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
26. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 17:17 WaltC

Right up through the latest build 10162, Win10x64 has been 100% compatible with my games (I have 40 on Steam & 58 on Gog and ~22 on Origin & some others--some of them are 25+ years old, etc.) They all run--and unlike with Win7/8 I haven't had to use DEP/exceptions on a single one...;) Gog should have no trouble at all...IMO, if you have a desktop this is by far the best OS Microsoft has ever put together...Laptop owners will be largely at the mercy of their laptop manufacturers for their drivers, but really most Win8/.1 drivers should work.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 6, 2015, 22:00 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:15:
I couldn't give a shit about Reddit but Pao has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt she doesn't belong in an executive role. She's a middle-management beancounter at best.

Amen--lower middle management is where she should be, if you'd want her at all--in a place where she can do the least amount of damage by running amok--and you also ought to get your insurance upgraded in case she tries to bring a phony lawsuit against you. She's had time to learn what she did wrong in the last suit--Reddit may not have any money, though...;)

I wouldn't hire her. Who needs the aggravation? I want positive. "me, too, I can!" people--not someone who might turn purple upon hearing an off-color joke that had nothing to do with her in the first place! Keep an eye on Reddit, and watch what happens when companies get serious about all this "PC" crap (and I don't mean "personal computers.") No way can they be "PC" maniacs and make sound, rational decisions at the same time.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 21:48 WaltC

Right now, PCs sell, month in and month out, as many consoles as the xBone & PS4 have shipped combined since their launch. I would not be surprised at all to see PC sales go through the roof beginning in August and for the rest of the year, building momentum as we move towards the Christmas holidays. There is a lot of pent-up demand on the PC side of the market, and the number of people building their own boxes will certainly increase as well.

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales! Microsoft seems simply not to "get it" with the xBone, and that leaves me scratching my head in wonder and bafflement...! How could the company not understand what its console customers want? No point in being in that market if you aren't listening to your customers.

But anyway...people are better off buying PCs than buying either console, no doubt about that, so maybe it's a positive thing that Microsoft missed the console boat. With Windows 10 Microsoft demonstrated that it is capable of listening to its customers--but maybe they are finally coming around with respect to gaming on the PC--D3d12 itself is a strong indicator.

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
18. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 6, 2015, 21:28 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 17:42:
Oh dear, so much for this source of competition. It probably spurred Microsoft to (apparently) get a good performance increase from DX12 but I had hoped Mantle would be more influential than that.

Well, it lit a bonfire under Microsoft's tail, and that was Mantle's entire purpose...there is essentially no reason for AMD to continue with Mantle since Microsoft has picked up every feature & capability in Mantle and incorporated it into D3d12, along with several other capabilities not in Mantle at all.

AMD has no need to compete with Microsoft in 3d APIs--AMD would lose that battle, as would either Intel or nVidia (which is why neither of them has ever attempted it.) Not even with the overwhelming lead 3dfx held with GLIDE was it able to resist D3d in the end. Main reason Microsoft is best suited for the 3d API standard is first that it is important that the API standard for Windows not be proprietary and belong to an IHV, but that it serve everyone's needs; and second, that Microsoft is the preeminent software company in the world and nobody can really hope to compete (if they wanted to) with Microsoft in this kind of arena. D3d has been an excellent 3d API for Windows thus far, and AMD would be foolish indeed to try and "compete" with Microsoft.

Mantle was born with the express purpose of motivating Microsoft in the proper direction with D3d, and that is exactly what happened. No more need for Mantle--it has served its purpose.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
31. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 11:32 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:32:

According to Forbes, the iphone accounts for nearly 70 percent of apple’s revenue. Their tablets, awesome gaming machines, mp3 players, app store and music sales are not even close.
Now on the computer side, apple's market share has crept up to about 13% (+/- 2%). An informal poll shows they outnumber pc's 3 to 1 at any Starbucks.

Forbes is often dead-wrong on technology matters, but that's no different from most non-tech, business-oriented magazines. Apple's Mac market share hovers perpetually around the ~5% mark globally. In the US estimates have it tagged as high as 10%--but that's in the US alone. Globally, Mac market share is in the same place it's been for the last couple of decades. I don't doubt the Starbucks numbers, however, as it's a fact that it would have to be mostly Mac customers who would spend $3 for a cup of java...;)

Basically, if you don't know anything about tech, and you don't want to know anything about tech, you buy an Apple product...;) So, at cocktail parties you can chime into to techie discussions and say, "I've goat a Mac," or "I've got an iPad," which is your price for admission to the immediate social grouping...;) In Apple-oriented groups, knowledge beyond that point is not required.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2015, 11:21 WaltC

iOS? Lol...;) The answer is "get yourself a computer" and join the grown-up world and you'll have all of the choice you could want in everything, browsers, software, hardware (unless you buy a Mac, but that's another story.) IMO, anyone who restricts his web browsing to a friggin' cell-phone deserves all the "Safari" he's gonna' get...;)
Ugh!

News Comments > Independent Tech Bits
9. Re: Independent Tech Bits Jul 4, 2015, 13:40 WaltC

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 01:16:
deqer wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 14:22:
What... you were hoping you could do this system forever? lol...

Get with the times, universities... You can self-teach yourself, using resources on the internet.

Yeah, but that won't get you a job that requires a degree.

If you want to start your own business or make something to sell then teaching yourself on the internet is great. If you want to go out to some corporation and get hired (with a job that has benefits) then you get to compete with everyone who got a degree - even if it came from some profit school.

A lot of HR departments now use automatic filtering and if your application doesn't have the right degree then it gets thrown in the can before a person even looks at it.

The whole system is seriously screwed up.

I'm still not sorry to see scummy profit colleges go away though.

All accredited colleges and universities make gross profits--they get money from tuition, book sales, donations, and the state & Federal governments. So-called "non-profit" colleges just bury the profits in expense reports...;) Salaries, for instance, come directly from gross profits; they're just called "expenses" and not technically "profits." A "non-profit" is a legal scam to avoid paying more taxes.

U of Phoenix is a joke, always has been. It's a mail-order diploma mill and the "degrees" it offers are worthless--which is why they're in trouble--you can only keep that going for so long and then the jig is up. Has nothing to do with "for profit", etc. Another legal scam tied to education.

As to "having the right degree," that's nothing new--job market has always been that way. For non-professionals, it's a scam, of course. Just another scam tied to education. Today things are much worse and I feel sorry for you guys--in my day 10% of high-school graduates when on to college. Today, it's something like ~80% or so, which makes a degree today about as meaningful as a high-school diploma used to be. Even PhD's are fairly routine--especially from places like the "U" of Phoenix...;) At the same time, they're graduating people from high-school who cannot *read*, for goodness' sake...;) Says something about the quality of education these days...

News Comments > Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems
22. Re: Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems Jul 1, 2015, 17:19 WaltC

With many games today shipping to millions of players with as many individual PC environments, it pretty much goes without saying that games have to be shipped and patches done later as the problems roll in. It would be impossible for a developer to anticipate and correct every problem and fix it before shipping--it would probably extend development time by several months and they'd still have to patch later.

But this game...from what I've seen this game had glaring problems that would have been noticeable on anyone's PC immediately, so there's no doubt whatever that they knew full well what they were shipping on the PC side of the house and just didn't care. Rather reckless, I have to say...Would have been far better to release the console versions and hold on to the PC version until they could get it right.

I think it's pretty bad when a game developer working on PS4 & xBone programs has to actually pay someone to "port" the game to the PC--because both of the new consoles are little more than pared-down x86 PCs...! Of course, the PS4 doesn't run Windows (xBone runs something very similar to Windows, though)...Even so, it all leads me to believe that the devs for this game weren't qualified, actually. For their sakes I hope the console version are better...

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report Jun 28, 2015, 12:14 WaltC

In game development, the PC separates the men from the boys...;) (Or the women from the girls, or the mature It from the immature It, etc.) Console stuff is so much easier...the end product nowhere near as good. I don't think I'd ever buy a PC game from a developer who had to pay another developer to do a PC port of his console game because he couldn't do it! The funny thing is that it looks like in this case they just hired *another* company unable to properly program a game for the PC...Lol...;)

570 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo