Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 457 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 12, 2014, 15:21 WaltC

Yes, it's fairly stupid--Netflix has even changed the old "SuperHD 5.1" logo to plain "HD5.1" now, to further confuse the issue (the res is still SuperHD, thankfully.)

Netflix of late is trying to muddy the water on some things...its monthly Broadband "speed" ratings being very questionable, because nowhere in that tally are the ISPs who serve up SuperHD @ and the "up to 15Mb/s" Netflix says the service requires. Netflix' claimed max of ~3.+ Mb/s is not even close to enough to carry SuperHD5.1., so it looks like the company is deliberately leaving those numbers out of its speed ratings--to make ISP service in general appear far slower than it is. I know that my ISP--Cogent--isn't even listed, and my 50Mb/s up & down is far more than enough for the great SuperHD5.1 quality I get from Netflix. Very Odd.)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
14. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:18 WaltC

I find it disturbing because nothing is more boring to me than cartoon, pretend romances in a 3d RPG. Hopefully, this is something that can be easily bypassed completely. Ugh. Dime romance novels are everywhere...not needed inside 3d games, too.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2014, 09:39 WaltC

One of my favorite verses:

It is better to live alone in a small corner of an attic than to live in wide house with a brawling woman.

The Bible truly contains the wisdom of the ages...;)

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
32. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 13:50 WaltC

Task wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 09:46:
I thought GTA is a satire series about the absurdity of society?

It's actually a satire series on the absurdity of a certain class of computer game...;)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 3, 2014, 12:04 WaltC

Who might possibly care *what* North Korea "denies"...? ha-ha...that's funny...;)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 3, 2014, 11:41 WaltC

The data-cap report is really funny when you think about how weird it is...the consumerist mentions "Comcast" while also pointing out that the GAO doesn't ever mention Comcast by name...and then the "report" seeks throw the wireless standard of a 5GB cap on *Comcast* wired cable...;) The stupid, idiotic hate these consumer-oriented people have for Comcast is just plain loony...! Comcast is no angel--unless you want to compare it to AT&T,imo--but it's common knowledge that Comcast's wired xFinity data cap is 250GB/mo (the envy of many a Canadian), and is rarely enforced even at that. My own wired data cap is non-existent (Cogent)--I just don't have one. Spare me the would-be nerds who write these weird articles, please...;)  

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2014, 08:35 WaltC

Orogogus wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 18:03:
The LGBT award is a culture war thing. Some people hate what it represents and WaltC is sure as hell one of them. If this becomes a discussion I think it's just going to be a dogpile.

I was actually trying to think of something non-offensive to say...;) My point was--regardless of whatever mad and zany "culture wars" people think are going on--the halls of a game publisher are not the venue in which they should be waged. I could point out that this particular "culture war" has been lost in every place in which it has been waged since antiquity, but that would really be off topic, completely.

The point is that regardless of what EA's internal "LGBT" policies & slogans may be, such things have no bearing on the quality of the games they publish. My dislike for the company has nothing to do with its irrelevant "LGBT" advocacy or whatever it is--my dislike stems from EA's ignorant-cum-fraudulent statements (through various of its officers) about consoles vs. PCs, DRM dressed up as "always online," etc.

Even if EA suddenly had a social epiphany & put up web sites advocating "freedom from the LGBT thought-police," and "freedom from
atheism.org," it would do nothing to correct what I see as the company's wrong-headed views on a number of issues that strictly involve game publishing. In my view, EA involves itself in irrelevant issues like "LGBT" in order to deflect attention from its professional deficits.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2014, 16:56 WaltC

Yea, too bad EA has such a hard time understanding what makes a great computer game, though. If the company stopped focusing on meaningless garbage like "LGBT" (& and other bizarre psychopathic human rituals) it might actually make great games regularly instead of on the current "fluke" basis. When EA succeeds (DA 1 & 3), invariably, it is despite itself--despite its best efforts to do the opposite. EA has some competition closing in on its decrepit inanity, however: Ubisoft isn't far behind, and in some instances seems bent on becoming just as idiotic a gaming publisher as EA.  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access
12. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access Nov 24, 2014, 23:10 WaltC

Cannot understand the entire "Early Access" sucker-bait approach...it's admittedly only barely alpha-progress in the development schedule--and I'm just not interested in wasting dozens of hours--some record even hundreds of hours(!)--playing a "game" that is NNRFPT (Nowhere Near Ready for Prime Time.) And paying for it, to boot (double entendre is intentional.) Why would anyone want to *pay* for alpha-testing loads of content that may all wind up on the cutting-room floor...?

The "Episodic" statement is immediately a huge disappointment--meaning that the development progress is so gosh-awful slow that the only way they'll ever actually finish the game is to break it up into five installments over--what?--a decade? The raw fact is that if #1 stinks there won't be a #2, let alone a #5. Very poor choice of excuses thus far.

Besides that...all of the noble chit-chat about "community involvement" will only serve to slow the game's development way....down...Massively down...

As many years as Garriott has in the biz and he's saying he now needs the guidance and direction of a generation of n00bs because he's forgotten how to make a great computer game...? Please. Maybe what he means to say is that he never quite got the "great" part down early on and can use all of the help he can get. Sorry if this sounds overly critical--but I expected much more out of this game by now. It's looking more and more like Ultima IX development, with Garriott endlessly vacillating between changes and additions...again! Anything to avoid shipping the final product.

I'm looking forward to *Completed Game* not Early Access to testbed material. Wake me when the game ships--and, oh, gosh, on the single-player side of things I sure hope "Episode One" (ugh!) will allow me to clock a lot more than forty hours of great game play. (Garriott ought to be able to deliver that by now--or he'll never be able to do it.)

No publishers to blame this time, Richard...you're going to own this game 100%. I hope my gut vibes about this are all wrong...and I'll gladly eat my own words! I'd like nothing better than for Garriott to deliver a fabulous game...!

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
54. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 24, 2014, 07:45 WaltC

Generally, the whole *idea* between an off-line and on-line mode is that they offer differences, often major differences, in play.

They are not supposed to "mirror" one another, else there'd be no sense in supporting both modes of play from the start.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2014, 09:54 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 19:07:
At least Tom Wheeler is saying the right things:

"We are going to be sued," he said in a Q&A after the FCC's monthly meeting. "That's the history. Every time in this whole discussion anytime the commission has moved to do something, one of the big dogs has gone to sue... We don’t want to ignore history. We want to come out with good rules that accomplish what we need to accomplish, an open Internet, no blocking, no throttling, no fast lanes, no discrimination, and we want those rules to be in place after a court decision. So we want to be sure we’re thoughtful in the way in which we structure them and we're thoughtful in the way we present what will ultimately be presented to a court."

The road to hell is often paved with the best of intentions...;)

I'll wager that 99.9 out of every 100 people on the Internet who has tried to download from a server that is slow or down believes they've been "throttled" or in some sense screwed by the nasty ISPs. Man, are they going to be pissed when nothing changes. Same for the ones who think their bandwidth is going through the roof (for free, of course) just because the mean, nasty old ISPs don't want them to have it--but political blowhards like Al Franken do, of course, "because they love us" (uh, provided it gets him votes here and there and provides some free publicity)! But, hey, they're surely going to love all of the new taxes that come rolling in--and all of the rate hikes that take place because somebody's (that's you and me) gotta' pay for the lawsuits that will come crashing down like Tsunamis once the restraints are removed! Yea, what's not to like?...;) Let's just go ahead and take a great thing and *really* screw it all up...

Seriously, the FCC is five (5) unelected, appointed guys (last I counted) trying to tell 300,000,000 of us what's best. 'Scuse me for questioning whether any of them can think their way out of a wet paper bag on these issues...;)

(That's why I think that Europe would be much better off breaking up the EU and leaving Google alone...! Compared to the unalloyed power of the EuC, Google is microscopic and utterly inconsequential.)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2014, 04:41 WaltC

Shutting off Congress' water supply would be enormously more effective, and far more satisfying. "No more H20 for the blow-hard do-nothings in Washington!" Sounds like a plan!....  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2014, 04:27 WaltC

Ars Technica promises to stop wasting your time asking you to read inflammatory hit-pieces on Comcast, written to garner page hits, just as if >75% of the US Broadband market is not actually delivered by Comcast at all, and just as if three-quarters of US broadband customers are not even Comcast customers! Honest Injun.

*From the "I'll believe it when I see it," Dept.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
130. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:42 WaltC

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:17:
WaltC wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:05:
This sounds like much more worry about online DRM than it is about technical feasibility.

It does seem odd that there's all this work supposedly being done on the server that would be too time consuming for them to move to the desktop on a forked offline version of the client, yet only a tiny mount of data is actually being transmitted and received during solo mode. Too early to declare SimCity style shenanigans on that though imo.

You know...it's funny...I learn a lot about myself this way at times...;) When Microsoft took away the start menu I thought, "Big deal--I hardly use it, anyway!" And then, I absolutely hated the fact that they'd attempted to take it away! Went right out and tacked on another one. LoL...;) Guess I used it more than I thought--or maybe I just like it there--comfortable--like an old shoe...;) I have a great Internet connection--practically bumped right up against a fiber node--it's great--and it;s fairly inexpensive, too! Yet, I want my darn *off-line mode* of play for my games! It's the principle of the thing, you know? And it makes me seethe when companies start laying out lines of thick PR gobbledegook to explain why it is "necessary" to take something away from me that I'd prefer to keep!

(I'm no xBone customer--computers only, of course--but when they started that stuff about Great server Farms in the sky making local computer hardware resources meaningless--I blew a gasket over that crap! OK, hang on while I down another beta-blocker...! People getting hoodwinked has always set me off the wrong way--I don't like it and I don't think it's either clever or admirable. That's me...;) Dying breed? Sometimes I wonder...)

125. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:29 WaltC

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:10:

They're using the "cloud" argument, in that they need the power of the "cloud" to make the game function - or at least work in the way they envisioned it.

Thanks for the clarification, DangerDog! Shades of the xBone's "Great Transistors In The Sky" Maj. Nelson flim-flam...this is worse than I thought. Or, how about EA's "SimCity" flim-flam as to online-only, which later turned out not to have one shred of truth to it?

Good grief, what malarkey...the "cloud" is just a bunch of servers on the ground...:D (Which is where they've always been.) 100 out of 100 games with both on-line & off-line modes differ from each other in many respects. Saying you don't want them to differ, so you are axing the off-line mode, is saying nothing at all except you have no desire to offer an off-line mode for the game. Period. It doesn't mean a single other thing. There's never been an online game coded that could not possibly have an off-line mode of play unless it is by way of the express will of the developers.

This is the kind of screw up any developer wants to avoid. I hope they handle it correctly by refunding 100% of the retail price of the game from now until the game ships. After that, the refunds should stop--and people will have paid to play the part of the game they claim not to have wanted--the online portion. Seems the only fair way to do it--but even then it isn't a perfect solution.

I wish I could think of a good reason to go "online only" aside from DRM concerns, but I can't.

123. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:12 WaltC

Squirmer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:01:
Wish these gamers would just take it to court instead of insisting it's illegal but never doing anything about it.

Court is no answer at all--unless you like lining the pockets of scurrilous lawyers leeching off the dissatisfaction of the world...;) The answer is: never pay for *anything* until the seller can provide what he promises for your cash. Very simple. Promising A for up-front cash but delivering B is the oldest scam there is! A little common sense goes a long way (no lawyers needed.) (IMO, people who count on lawyers to do their thinking for them deserve whatever rip-offs come their way, and the odds are excellent they'll not only have to live with the scams--but pay their lawyers on top of it!)

120. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:05 WaltC

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:39:
PunkiBastardo wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:53:
Even though I don't like these offline-scraping news, at this point they've put themselves against a wall. They can't really refund the people who have played already or massive amounts of customers are just gonna ask for a refund to their overpriced alpha/beta purchase and get the much cheaper release version in a few weeks.

That's actually a very good point.

Not really...in that case, the refund people *should* be the price of the "much cheaper release version" purported to be released in a few weeks. That's it. That way they've paid for the *beta* software they've played and not for the final release software they have yet to receive. That would be the way to handle it: partial refunds for those who have paid & played but are disappointed in the no off-line mode, out-of-the-blue unpleasant surprise. Seems 100% fair. Those who don't care about off-line won't care about the partial refund.

IMO, the whole thing about "no offline mode" is just plain silly. When you add to the online mode, you simply add what of that that you can to the offline mode and make it available as an off-line-mode only patch. What's the big deal? You are going to make it available online, so you have the data, so just put it into a patch. They know it is possible else they'd never have mentioned it from day one. On-line things that are are *only possible online* won't be available offline--but nobody who is playing the game off-line will expect them to be, will they? OF COURSE the online game will be somewhat different from the offline game--they always are! Red herring Alert!

This sounds like much more worry about online DRM than it is about technical feasibility.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2014, 14:22 WaltC

As usual with something the Democrats want that involves government regulation, the only reason anyone supports it at all is because he thinks he'll be getting something for free (that somebody else will have to pay for--"fat cat, 1%", etc)...;) But, of course, it never works out that way. Take the AT&T Long-Distance telephone company for instance--the one service company regulated "like a utility." It wasn't a "regional" monopoly, it was a national monopoly, and the US Government passed laws to the effect that it was illegal to compete with it--even regionally. The idea was that if the government regulated the cost of long-distance phone service, handling it just like the post office, and protected it from competition--the idea was that service would be great and rates would stay very low and everyone would be happy. Didn't work well at all, as everyone knows...;) Long-distance service in the US has taken thirty years to recuperate. The government had to dramatically reverse itself back in the '80s through deregulation of the industry in order for things to progress to where they are today. Regulation paralyzed the long-distance business in the US for decades.

The Internet, however, is much different from a national long-distance phone service--the Internet is a bunch of decentralized servers all over the world. The ISPs don't own the servers, either. So, a slow/down server before "net neutrality" is still going to be a slow/down server after net neutrality...;) Most people who talk about this issue don't know that, though. They think that net neutrality is going to bring them, personally, a big bunch of goodies and benefits that they don't have now, and that's exactly why they support this thing they call "net neutrality," even though they don't know what it will *really* bring: taxes, lawyers and lawsuits, and ever-degrading service.

Many of these people are too young to remember how bad the old AT&T government-protected monopoly got--just how bad things got and how long they stayed bad before the government finally said "Uncle! OK, we admit we screwed it up and so we're going to deregulate." I for one sincerely hope the Internet is spared the fate of being run by politicians, *shudder*. If that happens you won't have to be satisfied with stories and homilies about "killing the goose that laid the golden egg"--you'll get a ringside seat!

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
157. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:18 WaltC

walrus1 wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 20:37:

In this case he might be very well right. This is a case of fraud and might very well end up in court.

The only people class actions help are the attorneys who bring them...that is, if they can wrangle a settlement out of the company. The only certain thing about it all is that the bilked people wind up with little to nothing at all. Best plan: just don't put yourself in a position to get bilked. But if you've already paid, and you feel the company defrauded you by being less than honest--that is only true if they refuse to refund your money. If they offer you a refund then they haven't damaged you, but you can still sue--just be prepared to lose and eat a big lawyer fee at the end of it...;) Suing is a sucker's game all the way around, imo.

Oh, yea: a "Pledge" to pay is not the same thing as paying. Nor is a "Pledge" any sort of legally binding contract to pay, etc. If you've pledged but haven't yet paid you've lost nothing and certainly can hardly "ask for a refund"...Lol...;)

Only reason I brought this up is that some people are talking about having "pledged" as if they'd paid--once you pay, then the "pledge" is no more...;) If you've paid, then saying you've "pledged $5,000" is using exactly the wrong word--people pledge *before* they pay, and so on.

Anyway--I won't buy an "always-on" game. It's a matter of principle for me. Blizzard lost a D3 sale to me because of that--I'm just not buying the game if I can't play single-player off-line. No sale. Some people won't play a game if it's single-player and *offline* and I suppose I can understand that--but that isn't me.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips
14. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 20:48 WaltC

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:59:
AC4 was also done by Ubisoft Kiev. They basically do ZERO effort when they port shit to the PC. It's the laziest, most comically inept port you can possibly imagine, and Ubisoft keeps handing their games to these fuckers for the PC versions.

I keep scratching the ol' cranium over these things...is everyone at Ubisoft asleep at the switch...are all of them in marketing...don't they care about their products...or like the US Democrat party, do they think we are all too stupid to notice or care?...;)

I'm still marveling at the Uplay-over-Steam thoughtlessness...

457 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo