Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 503 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
18. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 19:13 WaltC

Flatline wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 13:54:
Well now we know what they were doing instead of patching the game.

No kidding. Unreal.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
24. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 12:34 WaltC

"Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse."

I interpret that, unfortunately, to mean the reviewer is more comfortable with a console controller than he is a keyboard/mouse...which of course puts many of the other glowing elements in the review in the "slightly doubtful" category because he is acting as if he's never played a decent *computer* RPG until now...although that really seems strange in light of his "gaming for 33 years" comments. That's a couple of years longer than I've been at it, and to this day I can't tell you what a console controller feels like because I've never had any desire to use one...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > New AMD Beta Drivers
6. Re: New AMD Beta Drivers Mar 21, 2015, 12:15 WaltC

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 11:41:
I forgot all about the Explicit Asynchronous bucket method. Will it be a mandatory requirement for devs when developing for DX12 or more like a suggestion though? Because if I can find another 7850 for $100 - $125 then I'd be okay with sitting on them until DX12 unless, by then, 4GB combined is considered a low amount of memory since you would be able to mix and match.

I've got a single HD 7850 2GB, and 40+ games installed @ home, and it runs them all perfectly--even though some are 20-years old...;) So I'm sort prejudiced there--fine product.

The fact that all of these new capabilities will be in the API will mean it'll be a relative cakewalk to produce games using these capabilities--as easy as it is now to program for D3d 9.0c...;) It isn't a question of "suggestions"...more like, "capabilities now possible in the API." It's difficult to imagine developers not using these capabilities immediately-it isn't like they have to write the code from scratch, they just write to the API--development as usual--and the API itself (D3d12) takes care of the grunt work. That's the beauty of the thing. [We could talk about multicore cpu support coming to the API as well, but that's another story. Lots to like just ahead.]

3. Re: New AMD Beta Drivers Mar 21, 2015, 11:19 WaltC

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:57:
I'm debating whether or not I should find a cheap 7850 to put in to Crossfire or sell my 7850 and put that towards a 280X.

If you can still find a 2GB HD 7850, I'd go that route. Normally, I'd advise folks to stay away from multi-gpus (regardless of who makes them) because up to this moment in time no 3d API supports multiple gpus. The IHV's have to write custom drivers that attempt to "fool" the system into seeing a single GPU where there are two or more. That approach is entirely hit or miss for both IHVs and both the SLI and X-Fire camps are full of vast frustration because of it...;)

But, Microsoft is promising what looks to be the biggest advance in D3d in more than a decade with D3d12, and one of the things the new API will support is multiple gpus! First time, ever. All kinds of things are coming to the table for multiple gpus--like for instance, there will be no more need to duplicate videoram--so that when two cards @ 2 gigs each are running, you get *4* gigs of usable videoram, etc. Looks as if the dawn of true multiple gpu power is upon us and finally coming to D3d. If you are considering going multiple gpu there's never been a better time to do it, imo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2015, 10:19 WaltC

France is insane about some things, no doubt about it...;) I recall a few summers back when France had a heatwave and it actually killed some 10,000(!) elderly French residents, all because in its infinite wisdom France had decided to tax home A/C units to the point that only very rich people could afford them. Unbelievable that a government could be so preoccupied with *theories* about what the weather might be in 100 years that it would create conditions today that actually end up killing its citizens. We crawled out of the caves for good reasons...;) Left to its own devices Nature strives endlessly to kill us all--you'd think the French would have some clue about that. But, they don't celebrate free speech, either, go figure. Lots of cultural differences.

I also see that ARS is still rabidly pushing its GW religion...;) Last I saw you could still get the official robes and hoods that are required for their climate-change "meetings"...

1. Re: New AMD Beta Drivers Mar 21, 2015, 10:00 WaltC

These are marked 15.3 and dated 3/19, and the drivers released for Windows10TP 10041 are marked 15.2 and dated 3/11, but the 15.2's are also marked WDDM 2.0 whereas the 15.3's, whether in Win8.1 or Win10, are still WDDm 1.3.

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
32. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 12:10 WaltC

If Valve doesn't do another Half-Life, then what motive would the company have for developing a newer Source engine? I mean, there are lots of very inexpensive 3d-engines circulating these days, so it certainly isn't because Valve expects to make a lot of money selling the engine independently. But if there's a HL3 that makes dramatic and good use of a new Source engine, then that might just stimulate interest in a new Source engine as a salable product.

The fact that Newell is double-talking when it comes to HL3 is both characteristic of Newell in general (if he can confuse a topic rather than clarify it Newell is there with bells on) and somewhat disappointing.

I could care less about multiplayer for HL3, actually--that seems enormously boring to me. The HL story is one with much remaining potential for *single-player* if only Newell and Valve can muster up the energy to talk about it (or even do it?) That seems to be the problem--Valve is spending its time (wasting?) on silly PR projects designed to promote Valve's public hot-air profile (Steam machine, VR, etc.) when the true pot of gold for the company won't be some silly gimmick like that. It'll be a masterful HL3.

Gabe says he's learned a lot--but what he doesn't seem to have learned in all of these years is just how much people loved the HL universe and still care about it. I think that is a remarkable bit of self-deception. If he's not doing a HL3 then the least he could do is say so, sell the IP, and move over for someone to do something with the property.

News Comments > Steam EU Refunds Now Available [Updated]
31. Re: Steam EU Refunds Now Available Mar 18, 2015, 11:47 WaltC

Armengar wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:43:
Overon wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:38:
Can you actually waive your rights away in EU like that? Don't we have some people with legal training that can tell us on these boards?

No, you cannot waive your rights. Whilst I'm no lawyer the very same legislation also stated that box EULA aren't worth the paper they are written on as you haven't opened the box.

The EU has no "Bill of Rights" such as you find amending the US Constitution. Your "rights" in the EU are solely determined by whatever laws are in place at the time, and of course to every law there is an exception--this one being no different. With Steam there are no "open boxes" and if you buy a boxed copy of a Steamworks game and wish to return it, Valve has nothing to do with that--it's between you and the reseller who sold you the boxed game. Valve may have a separate agreement with the box retailer, but that doesn't involve the customer.

Obviously, since customers download the game there is no "open box" rule for Steam to abide by, so all sales would and should be final--as it is fairly easy to mod a Steamworks game so that it doesn't have to run Steamworks when you run the game.

Customers should do due diligence *before* they buy--after they buy it's too late. That includes reading reviews on the software, studying the minimum hardware requirements for the game, etc. If you don't pay attention to those things before buying then you deserve to think you lost your money, imo...;) Because it's entirely your fault.

Best Buy stores in the US *used* to have a 30-day money back guarantee on everything in the store, including software--believe it or not...;) Every day there'd be a line a block long of people who had taken the software home, copied it to disk, and then brought the receipt and box back for a full refund. Of course, Best Buy was losing its shirt to dishonesty and had to rescind the policy which they changed to "open box"--but believe it or not, people would cheat on that, too, and buy cheap shrink-wrap machines which they'd use to re-wrap the boxes after they had made copies for themselves, of course. In the US, at least, that's how "all sales are final" became the rule for software--it wasn't that way in the beginning and is strictly due to the rampant dishonesty of the customer base. Sad, but true.

I agree with people, however, that something needs to be done about the rampant state of buggy game publishing. I'm just not sure what, however. It's just one of those things that game publishers do to themselves that stimulates piracy--if the publishers aren't smart enough to figure that out for themselves then they deserve to be pirated, imo. That may be the only thing that captures their attention--but if piracy dropped to zero tomorrow I'm not sure it would in any way alter a publisher's penchant for releasing very buggy games in this pattern: release six months early; patch for six months, move on to the next game.

News Comments > TITAN X Available
10. Re: TITAN X Available Mar 17, 2015, 20:47 WaltC

If there's any truth to the 390X rumors that show 8GBs of superfast HBM; well, this Titan may well be the circus midget on the day the 390X ships...;) But who really knows what AMD will ship at this point--I certainly don't, but it's for sure I won't be buying anything else until I see what the 390X is all about...! As this Titan from nVidia is no bargain *choke* anyone who takes the plunge befire the competition announces is likely to be sorry he didn't wait.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
10. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video Mar 7, 2015, 18:00 WaltC

It's difficult to tell anything from a video like this...I rather doubt the PC high-res textures will look anything like this. I mean, the main thing is that there are a multiple of millions more mid-to-high-end PCs out there than xBones right now--there's no way CDPR doesn't know this, as much experience as they have. I think it has to do with getting a good video frame-rate for these clips that translates to a decent framerate even over some of the very slow Internet connections that some people will have. I'm looking forward to this game very much--DA:Inquisition so far has disappointed me--so much for pre-shipping cut scenes that look great, right? The pre-shipping previews for DA:Inquisition turned out far better than the game itself, at least so far.  

News Comments > John Carmack's GDC Presentation
10. Re: John Carmack's GDC Presentation Mar 7, 2015, 17:43 WaltC

I thought I'd heard it all...but "mobile VR"?...Oh good grief. "Mobile" is the new n00b buzzword, and as Carmack proves, you can simply attach anything to it (like "VR")to get millions of dollars out of suckers with far more money than brains...;) Carmack might do OK making cell-phone games these days--I'm thinking "Tic-Tac-Toe-Quake"...yea...;)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 07:52 WaltC

ARS as usual is completely wrong...;) There is *nothing* in the current FCC's "Internet Nationalization Rules" that prohibits ISPs from managing traffic or throttling it in times of high congestion. Nothing has even slightly changed in that respect. ARS is getting less accurate and more propagandist by the day, it seems. Accuracy no longer means much on the site--I think they're imitating the Buffington Toast...:D (I had to abandon the site after years as it has lost all pretense of objectivity and accuracy.) It's more or less a troll site these days.  

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
33. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 17:14 WaltC

It's going to be a simple matter of a value proposition. If most developers find that Source 2 meets their needs best, they'll use it. If not, they won't. Ho-humm.

Valve already gets 30% of gross revenue from all the games sold through Steam (presumably.) Badly made games won't sell very well and Valve won't make much/any profit just because they are Steam distributed--the same way it is now for all other games(30% of nothing is still nothing...;)) Steam games that sell well will make Valve a bundle, but that is just like it is now, too.

The only difference here is that Valve is now giving away its engine and tools, the Steam stipulation meaning very little at all since the games can be sold elsewhere simultaneously--where they just might do much better than on Steam (For instance, DRM-less at Gog, etc.)

It sure looks like the only difference here for Valve is that they're now giving Source 2 & tools away for free. There are no guarantees, no set pricing schedules or models to pay Valve for Source 2--doesn't appear that Valve thinks Source 2 will be a money-maker for the company. It's pretty much a freebie, looks to me.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 19:25 WaltC

The dentist story...yes, everyone should realize that if you sign a contract the terms of which violate state law then any terms in the contract that are violations of the law may be freely ignored, even if the party gave voluntary, legal consent to the contract. You cannot "voluntarily" be forced by a contract to break state or Federal law. It's surprising the number of people like this dimwitted dentist who don't understand that. Arrogance often spells ignorance...;)

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
4. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:16 WaltC

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:08:
Not sure why the negativity. If someone is spending $3000 on Star Citizen, surely there is a market for high-end cards.

It's just that for every one who spends $3k there are 100 that won't spend > $300 and another 200 that will only spend less than that...;) In other words, the market for $3k 3d cards (assuming it won't cost even more) is exceptionally small & limited.

News Comments > EA Emeryville Closure Confirmed; Maxis Name Continues
1. Re: EA Emeryville Closure Confirmed; Maxis Name Continues Mar 4, 2015, 19:12 WaltC

No doubt this also had something to do with the Sim City botched launch that entailed several EA execs prevaricating through their teeth about how client computers couldn't run the SC code so they were "forced" to start out with a server-side game design, "always on," etc. Once EA discovered that no one was buying the malarkey, Maxis began to admit that, yes, a client-side, "always off" single-player version of the game was indeed "possible"--etc. I don't know whether the really fabricated commentary originated @ Maxis & the EA execs just lapped it up, or whether it was EA who insisted upon the server-side, always-on game design as a form of DRM. That much truth seems fairly difficult for EA to parse so I doubt it will ever be forthcoming...;)

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
1. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:03 WaltC

Sweeney has become such a nVidia shill of late (or of any company that'll foot the bill)...it's really sad.

No doubt this will also be the most expensive GPU the world has ever seen--"VR" is the new n00b buzzword, it would appear. Good grief...certainly brings out my inner cynic.

You notice how in the industry hardly anything is original anymore: everyone copies everyone else...?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage
9. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Mar 4, 2015, 13:14 WaltC

First game was light-hearted, mostly experimental in that CDPR were only just getting their "sea legs" for game development--I like the game (played it through three times) because it poked fun at itself and was delightfully original.

Witcher 2, a graphics tour-De-force, was a great game in and of itself--more serious, though, with much of the humor in the first game sacrificed on the altar of melodrama. Great game, though--but with a caveat that I'll address next--applies to both W1 & 2.

Poor design bottlenecks that interrupted the flow of both games, I thought--in W1 it was the Hell-dog fight, followed by the Spider Queen cave attack sequence--the game would stop as I save and reload until I could get the timing of my button-presses correct--so that I could get through the sequences.

Second game bottlenecked at the Kracken QTE...! This was a big disruption in the game for many, and again it boiled down to simply pressing the right sequence of buttons at the right times.

That's my only criticism of both Witcher games to date. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with QTEs in a game *provided* the developer writes in a alternate way around the QTE bottleneck for those players who find these events distracting and even frustrating at times.

I hope W3 will be blessedly free of these kinds of bottlenecks and distractions--free of QTE's. Other than that, I don't think Bioware's Inquisition will pan out to be half the game that W3 will be.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 WaltC

I lived in Europe for three years, courtesy of Uncle Sam--in the Mediterranean areas of Greece & Italy, mainly. I enjoyed the vacation, the people were great and I had a lot good times, but when I got back to the states I kissed the ground, I was so happy to be back...;) It's for certain that anyone who thinks they'd rather live somewhere else has no clue at all--there are so many things we as Americans take for granted that simply aren't available in many other Western countries. For instance, in Greece it took me 12 months to get a telephone number and phone through the state-run telephone company, the *only* telephone company--horribly inefficient. Renting a house with central A/C was impossible--I had to buy my own. In England, when you buy a car there are no lots full of cars to choose from and there are no demo drives, even--you pick your car from a catalog and order it, sight unseen. 6 weeks to 6 months is the average wait to drive it off the lot. Oh, and did I mention that people pay VAT taxes *on top* of income taxes...? These are just a few of the differences I noted during my stay in the late '80's.

In Russia, the economics are even worse, not to mention that Putin has Snowden in his pocket (which is why Snowden never releases any negative info on the Russian Federation--only America has free-speech law to protect people against government retaliation for what they say.) It isn't surprising at all that Snowden wants to come home--even to face a trial--and he would not be the first to burn his bridges and then regret it.

But from the time Snowden committed felonies by lying to the government about his background in order to gain employment with an NSA subcontractor....(the least of the felonies he has committed since)...Snowden has made his own bed. Sure, he doesn't really want to sleep in it, but he should have thought about that long ago...

News Comments > how do you Do It?
23. Re: how do you Do It? Mar 1, 2015, 11:35 WaltC

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 01:49:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:50:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:04:
Or worse, one of our congressmen who think you can swallow a pill to get a vaginal exam. The stupid, it hurts.

Or worse, someone who confuses a state representative with a Congressman.

...the stupid, it hurts indeed.

Not everyone knows nor has to know the intricacies of US political naming conventions and positions but if you don't know where you pee from then that is quite another matter.

Exactly...which is why such persons should not believe everything they read on the Internet...;) In fact, nobody should...;)

503 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo