Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 492 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 07:52 WaltC

ARS as usual is completely wrong...;) There is *nothing* in the current FCC's "Internet Nationalization Rules" that prohibits ISPs from managing traffic or throttling it in times of high congestion. Nothing has even slightly changed in that respect. ARS is getting less accurate and more propagandist by the day, it seems. Accuracy no longer means much on the site--I think they're imitating the Buffington Toast...:D (I had to abandon the site after years as it has lost all pretense of objectivity and accuracy.) It's more or less a troll site these days.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
33. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 17:14 WaltC

It's going to be a simple matter of a value proposition. If most developers find that Source 2 meets their needs best, they'll use it. If not, they won't. Ho-humm.

Valve already gets 30% of gross revenue from all the games sold through Steam (presumably.) Badly made games won't sell very well and Valve won't make much/any profit just because they are Steam distributed--the same way it is now for all other games(30% of nothing is still nothing...;)) Steam games that sell well will make Valve a bundle, but that is just like it is now, too.

The only difference here is that Valve is now giving away its engine and tools, the Steam stipulation meaning very little at all since the games can be sold elsewhere simultaneously--where they just might do much better than on Steam (For instance, DRM-less at Gog, etc.)

It sure looks like the only difference here for Valve is that they're now giving Source 2 & tools away for free. There are no guarantees, no set pricing schedules or models to pay Valve for Source 2--doesn't appear that Valve thinks Source 2 will be a money-maker for the company. It's pretty much a freebie, looks to me.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 19:25 WaltC

The dentist story...yes, everyone should realize that if you sign a contract the terms of which violate state law then any terms in the contract that are violations of the law may be freely ignored, even if the party gave voluntary, legal consent to the contract. You cannot "voluntarily" be forced by a contract to break state or Federal law. It's surprising the number of people like this dimwitted dentist who don't understand that. Arrogance often spells ignorance...;)

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
4. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:16 WaltC

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:08:
Not sure why the negativity. If someone is spending $3000 on Star Citizen, surely there is a market for high-end cards.

It's just that for every one who spends $3k there are 100 that won't spend > $300 and another 200 that will only spend less than that...;) In other words, the market for $3k 3d cards (assuming it won't cost even more) is exceptionally small & limited.

News Comments > EA Emeryville Closure Confirmed; Maxis Name Continues
1. Re: EA Emeryville Closure Confirmed; Maxis Name Continues Mar 4, 2015, 19:12 WaltC

No doubt this also had something to do with the Sim City botched launch that entailed several EA execs prevaricating through their teeth about how client computers couldn't run the SC code so they were "forced" to start out with a server-side game design, "always on," etc. Once EA discovered that no one was buying the malarkey, Maxis began to admit that, yes, a client-side, "always off" single-player version of the game was indeed "possible"--etc. I don't know whether the really fabricated commentary originated @ Maxis & the EA execs just lapped it up, or whether it was EA who insisted upon the server-side, always-on game design as a form of DRM. That much truth seems fairly difficult for EA to parse so I doubt it will ever be forthcoming...;)

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
1. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:03 WaltC

Sweeney has become such a nVidia shill of late (or of any company that'll foot the bill)...it's really sad.

No doubt this will also be the most expensive GPU the world has ever seen--"VR" is the new n00b buzzword, it would appear. Good grief...certainly brings out my inner cynic.

You notice how in the industry hardly anything is original anymore: everyone copies everyone else...?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage
9. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Mar 4, 2015, 13:14 WaltC

First game was light-hearted, mostly experimental in that CDPR were only just getting their "sea legs" for game development--I like the game (played it through three times) because it poked fun at itself and was delightfully original.

Witcher 2, a graphics tour-De-force, was a great game in and of itself--more serious, though, with much of the humor in the first game sacrificed on the altar of melodrama. Great game, though--but with a caveat that I'll address next--applies to both W1 & 2.

Poor design bottlenecks that interrupted the flow of both games, I thought--in W1 it was the Hell-dog fight, followed by the Spider Queen cave attack sequence--the game would stop as I save and reload until I could get the timing of my button-presses correct--so that I could get through the sequences.

Second game bottlenecked at the Kracken QTE...! This was a big disruption in the game for many, and again it boiled down to simply pressing the right sequence of buttons at the right times.

That's my only criticism of both Witcher games to date. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with QTEs in a game *provided* the developer writes in a alternate way around the QTE bottleneck for those players who find these events distracting and even frustrating at times.

I hope W3 will be blessedly free of these kinds of bottlenecks and distractions--free of QTE's. Other than that, I don't think Bioware's Inquisition will pan out to be half the game that W3 will be.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 WaltC

I lived in Europe for three years, courtesy of Uncle Sam--in the Mediterranean areas of Greece & Italy, mainly. I enjoyed the vacation, the people were great and I had a lot good times, but when I got back to the states I kissed the ground, I was so happy to be back...;) It's for certain that anyone who thinks they'd rather live somewhere else has no clue at all--there are so many things we as Americans take for granted that simply aren't available in many other Western countries. For instance, in Greece it took me 12 months to get a telephone number and phone through the state-run telephone company, the *only* telephone company--horribly inefficient. Renting a house with central A/C was impossible--I had to buy my own. In England, when you buy a car there are no lots full of cars to choose from and there are no demo drives, even--you pick your car from a catalog and order it, sight unseen. 6 weeks to 6 months is the average wait to drive it off the lot. Oh, and did I mention that people pay VAT taxes *on top* of income taxes...? These are just a few of the differences I noted during my stay in the late '80's.

In Russia, the economics are even worse, not to mention that Putin has Snowden in his pocket (which is why Snowden never releases any negative info on the Russian Federation--only America has free-speech law to protect people against government retaliation for what they say.) It isn't surprising at all that Snowden wants to come home--even to face a trial--and he would not be the first to burn his bridges and then regret it.

But from the time Snowden committed felonies by lying to the government about his background in order to gain employment with an NSA subcontractor....(the least of the felonies he has committed since)...Snowden has made his own bed. Sure, he doesn't really want to sleep in it, but he should have thought about that long ago...

News Comments > how do you Do It?
23. Re: how do you Do It? Mar 1, 2015, 11:35 WaltC

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 01:49:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:50:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:04:
Or worse, one of our congressmen who think you can swallow a pill to get a vaginal exam. The stupid, it hurts.

Or worse, someone who confuses a state representative with a Congressman.

...the stupid, it hurts indeed.

Not everyone knows nor has to know the intricacies of US political naming conventions and positions but if you don't know where you pee from then that is quite another matter.

Exactly...which is why such persons should not believe everything they read on the Internet...;) In fact, nobody should...;)

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Feb 27, 2015, 23:30 WaltC

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 23:00:

I still have both games, but I've never been able to get them to work anymore. The first NOLF stops working in the third or fourth cutscene because Kate's character never gets drawn and thus for whatever reason the entire cutscene just sits there waiting, and the second one would always fail to launch with some weird-ass .dll error.

I have both games, too, and I've found versions online that work perfectly with Win8.1/10TP...check it out--they aren't difficult to find, which is nice. You've paid for the games once (as I did)--no one will fault you for finding and running a version that runs well in a current OS...;)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 20, 2015, 11:15 WaltC

Yes, there's especially no way to know if the NSA's software is on your hard drive--because Kaspersky never mentioned the NSA or the USA by name--ever. Some lame-brain simply assumed it--and when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me...;) Gods, but people can be stupid...! Kaspersky could have been speaking of any country on earth--including the Russian Federation.

There's also no way to know if aliens have put spyware on your hard drive either, is there?..,..;) Morons...:D

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
13. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 20:02 WaltC

Claims are very believable when you consider that DX11 & earlier are based on code that was only fair at tapping the power of multicore gpus and didn't support xFire/SLI at all (which only came by way of custom driver support from AMD & nVidia)--and those earlier APIs were mostly single-core when it came to cpu support, failing to leverage multicore cpu power. DX12 should provide several times the performance of DX11 & earlier as it will support gpus much better, support multigpus, and support multicore cpus for the first time. 100% + performance improvements are surely possible.

The caveat is that it won't apply to games written for DX11 and earlier, though; it will only apply to game engines written to expressly support these new D3d12 features. D3d is finally catching up to the hardware!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2015, 09:48 WaltC

I wish Apple would do a Steve Jobs parody game...better yet, a "Kim Jong-Un vs. Steve Jobs" action game...!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 09:45 WaltC

Everything that happens in the FCC is pure politics. They are all trying to get their names up in lights. As soon as the vote takes place, should they vote to slap 322 pages of rules on the ISPs, the lawsuits will fly--and the FCC will end up back in court, where they lost the last time they tried this.  

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
10. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:29 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 10:03:
AAhhhh there it is. I was wondering when this was coming, since SteamOS (or any other Linux variant) can't possibly compete with Windows without a platform independent graphics API to rival DirectX. Still I wonder what it will take to convince developers to program games with an alternative API (and hardware manfacturers to support it)? We all know what happened with OpenGL, most developers left it in the dust. It was simpy not cost effective to develop for two APIs. Will definitely be following this with interest.

I hope you understand that Valve isn't speaking of anything "new" here..;) Valve is talking about OpenGL:

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
8. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

If D3d12 lives up to its advance billing, it will be the most important and significant 3d API...well, ever... The API will finally support more than one GPU, more than one GPU core and more than one cpu core simultaneously...! As for Valve, wake me when the percentage of Steam Windows revenue drops below 90% of total Steam revenue & profit...

Valve isn't working hard enough on HL3 if the company has time to waste on pushing an "alternative" OS/3d API.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 17:39 WaltC

Yes, it figures that the Stuffington Post would come out with articles written to try and convince weak minded/willed people to be afraid of the companies that bring them the goods & services they like the most. It's all done for the basest of political motives, too. Yea, the "big bad ISPs" are so *mean* to people--just horrible. Meanwhile politicians keep masquerading as sheep when underneath it all they're just a pack of ravening wolves, ever thirsting for more personal recognition and fame. Ugh. There's no lie about the Internet the government (and the deluded people who think big, overbearing government is their "friend") won't stoop to voicing & repeating if they think it will help them wrest control of the Internet away from the people and give it to the government elitists who think that freedom of speech has to be the first thing to go.

As long as people think and speak like they want them to think and speak, entirely too many professional politicians have no problem with "freedom"--but start thinking and then speaking a different point of view and watch how quickly they want to pass laws and regulations that take away those freedoms. There's no way the national Democrats (and many national Republican politicians) in Washington are actually as dumb as most of them seem to be--theirs is an agenda of subtlety and deception that serves only one purpose above all others: getting them re-elected. No lie or distortion is beneath them, apparently.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 2, 2015, 08:56 WaltC

People are certainly screwed up when it comes to the NFL. The NFL has no influence on anything that isn't professional football, but, man, to read some of these insane articles--you'd never know it. If the "NFL" makes an incorrect/over-the-top public statement which superficially addresses legal issues--you can thank the NFL's lawyers for that. Talk about "evil"...;) Lawyers, now there's an evil most educated people can agree on...;)

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 30, 2015, 19:14 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 18:12:
Break them up, monopolies are not allowed in this country!

If you compete with other companies then you are by definition not a monopoly...;) Also, remember that T-mobile wanted to merge with Sprint but that *the government* said "No." Sprint and T-Mobile explained to the government that Verizon and AT&T were much bigger, much richer companies, and that T-Mobile & Sprint wanted to merge in order to be able to *compete* with Verizon & AT&T--and stay in business themselves, of course. The government said No.

So when in a few years time T-Mobile is no more--& possibly even Sprint, and consumers wind up with less choice than they'd have had had the government approved the merger, you'll know who to thank.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
19. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

Slick wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 21:50:

gee, whoda guessed that an industry which owns a monopoly on a vital service can't regulate itself?

Personally, I'd like them to up the definition of "broadband" to 50Mb/s u&d...;) No question but that 3Mb/4Mb down is woefully insufficient. That said...

Industries cannot be "monopolies"...;) That's like saying "The auto-industry monopoly..." The fact that there's an entire industry to service a particular market proves there is no monopoly there.

And of course...if there was such a thing as a an "industry-wide monopoly" then nobody would be able to get anything *but* 4Mbs down. (I'm enjoying my 50Mb/u&d through Cogent very much, and it costs me less than I used to pay Comcast for 6Mb/512k, amazingly enough. If there was a "4Mb monopoly" I couldn't do that.)

The Internet, much to the consternation of the Democrats, is not a single entity--it's a lot of little autonomous subnets cobbled together into one gigantic "Internet." The Internet will always reject and defeat attempts to impose monolithic controls because of the very nature of the Internet itself--there's nothing monolithic about it.

So...even if you have my connection @ 50Mb/s bi-directional, that does not mean that the *servers* you connect to, the places you download from, or upload to, are going to allow you to download/upload @ 50Mb/s...not at all. That's one of the myths of "net neutrality", that it's the ISP who determines connection/download bandwidth--that's only true of the maximum bandwidth possible. The actual download speed people get in practice is determined by the *server* one connects to--servers not owned by the ISP. For instance, take the Nexus gaming mod site, all non-premium members are capped by the Nexus servers at a maximum of ~950kb/s down--so my 50Mb/s (which should deliver in the neighborhood of 6 MegaBytes/s down) does me no good there, and it has squat to do with the ISP.

The problem with the whole Democrat-party spiel is that 1) because the Internet is not a monopoly and is not monolithic & centralized, it cannot be centrally regulated; 2) the problems that most people encounter in connecting to various servers are problems (slow connections to no connection at all) relative to the independently owned servers they are trying to connect to--and have nothing to do with anything their ISP is doing. Attempts by the government to regulate the Internet as a monolithic entity can only result in changing the asynchronous nature of the Internet and will ultimately *ruin* the Internet we now enjoy--which is why no one wants to screw around with it.

Yes, the FCC has changed its own definition as to what constitutes "broadband." Unfortunately, that means squat as to the status quo. This isn't a "regulation"...it's more of a "declaration" that is meant to sound good politically while accomplishing very little in reality.

492 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo