Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 581 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
16. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 30, 2015, 11:22 WaltC

jimnms wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 22:03:
Krowen wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 16:52:
You need parental features (specifically Family Safety) enabled on the associated Microsoft account and a family account on the OS, it's not like this happens by accident unless you don't read what you're clicking.

Most people don't bother to read anymore. They've been conditioned over to just scroll to the bottom and hit OK.

Really? They seem able to read every sensational, half-true, exaggerated article on the Internet, though, don't they?...:) But you have a point in that most people simply don't know when they're being suckered with click bait. *cough*

"I read it on the Internet so I know it has to be true!"...

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
11. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 11:26 WaltC

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:11:
I'm still so, so far from the end. The game is ridiculously huge, I know what the "halfway point" is, and I'm not there. It's almost too long of a game, I play it in spurts...might play for 8 hours straight, then not touch it for a few weeks. The amount of dialogue is staggering, although it still feels weird when Geralt says shit out loud that no one would (so the player understands what he's seeing from clues).

Great game, got it free with my video card but gladly would have paid for it. Do the sales represent copies that came with cards?

You got it free with your video card, but the IHV that bundled the game paid for every copy they gave away--not retail, of course, but likely a decent amount. I would assume 6M is the total number for all sales to date. A great summer indeed for CDPR.

As for the length and depth of the game, it seems suitable for an "epic" in every respect. I've also noticed Geralt talking to himself...;) But it was either that or the game just throwing up text, and the guy who does Geralt has an interesting voice, imo...

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
19. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 14:10 WaltC

For me, the only lengthy load from a save is the very first one in a session...that one takes ~60 seconds or so I would estimate--definitely long enough for me to notice...! After that, though, the loads are ~10 secs...They might be building a session cache during the first load...  

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
113. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 21:48 WaltC

I think without a doubt you can always trust Smart to do something really stupid...;)  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2015, 21:36 WaltC

It's really remarkable what cowards the Obama administration officials have turned out to be...here we have the usually cautious & taciturn French falling all over themselves to properly label heroes as heroes (American heroes no less!), parading them through France for a job well done and calling "Islamic religious extremists" the terrorists that they are--when the Obama administration is so frightened about "offending" them with speech that most of the time it's simply speechless in the face of atrocity after atrocity.

What an awful mess this administration has made of the middle east & foreign policy in general--we've had to suffer through the worst Secretaries of State I've ever seen: the greedy, seemingly dishonest Hillary Clinton, and the buffoon John Kerry..! America's foes could not have chosen worse people for that position. This politically liberal stupidity has to end with this lame-duck administration or there won't be much freedom left to worry about in the years ahead.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 22, 2015, 21:17 WaltC

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 16:13:
Axis wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 14:52:
I don't know of 1 reason I should.

Well, it's far better under the hood than 7 is in pretty much every way. Also free but that's a second reason. This is all assuming you're not swallowing all the privacy FUD.

Absolutely right! I find Win7 slow as molasses compared to Win10--feel like I am mired in sludge--just updated the wife's machine from Win7x64 to Win10x64, and thought she'd bought a new box, the GUI was so much snappier!

These days there's a loony under every bed, practically. Must be, listening to the FUD and drivel being mindlessly shoveled between web sites. Some people are scared of their own shadows, seems like. There's not a single thing going on in Windows 10 that anyone has any reason at all to worry themselves over--but, hey, the conspiracy nut jobs abound!

The sheer stupidity is remarkable, really--and people say superstition is dead in the modern age! Ha...;) Not a chance...just replace wood sprites and fairies with the invisible "spies" supposedly found in every modern convenience and gadget--and you wind up with this wonderful "age of rationality" we live in...which is about as rational as crossing yourself and genuflecting before turning on your computer each day...;)

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2015, 16:55 WaltC

Julio wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 15:58:
I pay for all my software (and have no idea what "illegal" hardware is), but here's another reason to dislike Windows 10. The PC is turning into a walled garden.

Wisdom: Not believing everything you read on the Internet. The above article quotes from a Eula...it does not offer a single example of anyone's "pirated" games being disabled by Microsoft...;) A Eula can say anything it likes about anything...doing it, however, is an altogether different proposition...;) Never mistake braggadocio with capability.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 16, 2015, 16:34 WaltC

The "spying" claims are, as usual, utterly sensational and much ado about nothing...;) Propaganda spread by the usual congenitally anti-Microsoft suspects who also see a "Red under every bed," jump twenty feet when spotting their own shadows--pure Milquetoasts, etc.

The absolute worse things you have to fear from Windows 10 are seeing ads for things you might want to actually buy instead ads for things that don't remotely interest you. If you don't like that--use an ad-blocker and you foil the "spymasters" completely. This "spying" fuss isn't so much paranoia from people as it is base stupidity, imo.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
27. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 16:20 WaltC

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:52:
Whatever it may be, TW3 certainly has zilch to do with it. What silly fanboi blabbering. Skyrim is a 2011 old gen game. TW3 is a 2015 current gen game. Four years and one full console gen difference. Any comparison is therefore beyond retarded to begin with.

Yes, not much of a comparison, I'm afraid...what made Skyrim gorgeous were the mods, without which it's a poor-looking game, indeed. I've still got Skyrim + mods installed and still fire it up every so often, but TW3 as released w/o mods is far superior. Going to be a challenge for modders to improve--which will be interesting to watch...;)

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin II Announced
23. Re: Divinity: Original Sin II Announced Aug 12, 2015, 12:43 WaltC

Timing is not great...I think they should have waited until the week after they got the EE out of the door...It's hard to justify financing a sequel when the first game remains unfinished. I think that D:OS is a masterpiece...but this KS doesn't agree with my sense of proper timing.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2015, 17:11 WaltC

Right here in the ol' US of A, got a Cogent ISP--I also get ~11.5MB/s down (& 11.5MB/s UP!), unlimited data cap, unlimited VOIP, & ~250-channel 1080P television (the TV actually receives 1080P from the box--no 480P/720P here), for $50 a month ($ not Euros.) Price includes Gb router & 1080P set-top box monthly rental. To that I add SuperHD Netflix unlimited Streaming & Blu-Ray disk rental for an additional $18.38 per month, and I'm good. Great, really. My independent local ISP is super.

Things have really changed in my neck of the woods in the last couple of years--even Comcast residential is now providing 75Mb/ps down for $42.xx a month, and 105Mb/ps down for $52.00. Deal isn't as good as mine but I think for residential it's not that bad at all, considering that just a couple of years ago the best you could get from Comcast in my area was 6Mb/ps down! Things are definitely looking up here.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 20:19 WaltC

"Already gotten more than 2,000" complaints? Lol...;) Good grief there are 100,000,000 people online at any given time of the day, every second of every day--2,000 "complaints" is almost nothing--and here's betting that most of those complaints are from people who think they're being throttled when they're not.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
27. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 15:18 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:22:

GOG doesnt even have a real client. Well thats not right, they have Galaxy but you dont need to use it. Just use the GOG downloader, download your game and all the patches, DLC etc. and you never have to log in again. (Unless you want to download new stuff). It's nothing like Steam, there is no DRM involved. Like I said their Galaxy client is completely optional. (Hell even the GOG downloader tool is optional, you can just follow the links on the page)

Believe it or not, the last two games I bought from Steam, Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3, install with no Steam DRM--Steam doesn't have to be running for the games to play (this is not offline mode, either.) But just like with Gog, you have to upgrade through Steam, and if you are someone into Achievements (I'm not) you have to log in through Steam (GOG has brought Achievements to Galaxy), and if you want the Steam counter to time your play you have to play through the Steam Library interface each session. But just to play the game itself you don't even have to have Steam running...! Kudos to CDPR & Obsidian for setting this up at Steam..! It's a great precedent.

I even copied the Steam folders to a different drive location and they run fine without Steam--you could back them up to disk, etc....It's too bad Steam didn't start this way...but, yes, from now on if a game is available through GOG I'll buy it there because these two games are exceptions to the rule--there are other Steam games that don't require Steam be running, too, but most of them do. GOG has been an excellent influence on the game-publishing ethos. I bought these two games from Steam before I discovered PayPal, so I just lucked out here...

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
27. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 14:35 WaltC

Desalus wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:52:
"As gamers, one of the coolest features coming with Windows 10 is the Xbox app."

Am I missing something or is the Xbox app completely worthless if you don't own a Xbox One? Microsoft makes it sound like PC gamers should be excited about it regardless of whether or not they own a XBONE, but to me it looks like the app is entirely tied into owning the console.

Yea, I know...;) That's a "Major Nelson" site--so of course "Major Nelson" is hyping the xBox. Ugh.

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
26. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 14:30 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:14:
Here is my guide to optimal use of Windows 10 for gamers:

- Do. Not. Install.

Can't agree. Win10 is more backwards-compatible with games than Win7, believe it or not. It's also much better/faster all the way around. If you have peripherals that can run under Win7/8, chances are excellent those drivers will continue to work in Win10 even if you don't own hardware made by reputable OEMs who supply timely driver updates...;)

I've been running it for most of the last year, and have been using it exclusively for the last couple of months (nuked my 8.1 installation)--I have no games that won't run; and I have no hardware that won't run. Grabbing this free update is a no-brainer...!

The desktop is the default and the start-menu is back--you can have tiles on your desktop or not have them--it's your choice. Metro is dead (unless you like Metro, in which case you can call some of it up again.) Best thing I've seen Microsoft do. Ever. And by gosh, it's free (so long as you had enough sense to buy Win7 or Win8 from Microsoft, that is.) Even if you are still holding XP/Vista in your cold, dead fingers, Win10 is worth the price of admission.

This is the only advice I'd give, however: if you don't already own a retail license to a qualifying Windows upgrade OS, then buy a retail license to Windows 10 because the retail license follows you, not your hardware--a retail license survives hardware upgrades like motherboard & cpu swaps, an OEM license does not. A retail license for Win10 is good for pretty much the rest of your life, or until they stop making x86 personal computers entirely (whichever comes first)...!

No reason I can think of for anyone not to get on this bandwagon--it's going to mean that at some point within the next 12 months the only Windows market that will exist to any degree will be the Windows 10 market--and what a boon for software that's going to be! It's going to make software development much easier, etc. I think we are seeing the beginning of a "golden age" of software, not to put too fine a point on it...

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
89. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 16:44 WaltC

Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:58:
As usual I still don't understand why some people post comments filled with incorrect information yet are so sure they are right.
If you really want to be informed instead of just posting emotional nonsense, read this. If not, there is no point in exchanging opinions with someone that doesn't even take the time to check his/her information....

I rather doubt this "issue" is amenable to reason & judgement, but you've certainly tried to interject some of that here, and are to be congratulated for doing so...;) I think it all boils down to a single word:

Impatience...seems to be the only problem at this stage. Unfortunately, it's a common malady in human endeavors.

I'd also add that Pillars of Eternity & D: OS are *both* getting some very cool "Enhanced Edition" treatments and so both games are still actively in development at this time...despite having been released in their initial form months back.

It's a great time to be a gamer...!

I'm not in Star Citizen, myself. But I did get into the Bard's Tale IV KS, and am looking forward to seeing that that in two years...;) Patience, 007, patience...:D

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2015, 13:11 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:01:
Wow on those comments from all the right-wing extremist xtians on that Wiccan article. It boggles the mind that people like that are actually permitted to vote.

Right-wing extremists...?...;) I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks evil spirits inhabit machines is an idiot... Well, anyone dumb enough to hire this fraud, that is. Yep, probably has Masters degrees in Basic Demonology, Advanced Demonology, and "How to Cheat Imbeciles out of their Money"...;) I agree--people who believe in witches probably shouldn't be allowed to vote...!

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2015, 22:30 WaltC

What a bunch unmitigated malarkey. Derek Smart, acting stupid once again, and trying to inject himself into a situation that doesn't involve him at all...;) Figures. I guess this is what being a failure as a developer looks like--it isn't pretty.  

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
17. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 20:34 WaltC

I was never on board with the game because multiplayer space sims are not my cup of tea, but reading some of these posts I'm amazed at the number of people who apparently pledged money they could not afford to pledge, and since the game is taking longer than expected they now want refunds on their pledges...! Amazing stuff...It's very simple...if you don't want to take chances & try to snag a deal on a great game by getting in at the ground floor in the Kickstarter...then don't pledge to a Kickstarter. What could be simpler, right?

Derek Smart...that's a separate topic, really. If it is actually his name, his name is an oxymoron..! Smart? Smart continuously throws off on things he cannot himself ever do--like a Kickstarter, for instance. Can you imagine what would happen if Smart threw a KS...? A fail from day 1. They forced him to take his money back...because he just wanted a forum with a ready-made audience in which to bitch endlessly and peddle his vapoware--and they didn't want to give him one...:D They took that away, and that's just gotta' smart, eh Smart? I'm surprised the guy knows how to spell libel because he sure as heck doesn't know what it means...;) Sheeeesh!

This is a look at the ugly side of Kickstarters...people pledge $100 & think it entitles them to direct the entire game and if things happen they don't like then they want a "refund." Again, nothing in Kickstarter Land is guaranteed--you aren't buying anything when you pledge--you're *pledging,* and *if* everything goes according to plan you'll get what you expect, maybe. If you don't have the cash to risk, don't make the pledge.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 12:17 WaltC

It's not the OS...it's the Internet itself that's a never-ending string of security concerns...;)

581 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo