Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 639 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2016, 14:05 WaltC

Anything is possible as space is so big it's beyond description. We're all so jaded from watching sci-fi films that we think of the solar-system as a lot smaller and a lot better-known than it actually is. Much like the still-unexplored ocean depths, I guess.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2016, 14:45 WaltC

No possibility of that 200M figure being right...more like 1 million, if they are very, very lucky (pardon the pun.)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
19. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 14:26 WaltC

Been on Win10x64 since October 2014, and since the official release in July I have had 0 major problems--I've got ~185 games installed going back 30 years in age to as new as Witcher 3--and every single on of them runs perfectly. My R9 380 4GB card runs them all with the latest drivers (WDDM2.0.) After Win7 I moved to Win8 for a couple of years before Win10x64...I prefer Win10x64 to any Microsoft OS I've ever used--and I've used them all. Of course, I have a desktop and all my components are hand-picked and made by companies with great track records in driver support--which probably makes a difference, I'd imagine. Also, I'm running the latest build of v1511, build 11099. Running great, no problems.

Nobody has any right to complain about progress, seems to me, since you certainly should have bought either Win7 or Win8 by this late date and you still have ~7 months to upgrade to Win10 for free...it's a no brainer.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 12, 2016, 20:48 WaltC

Musk is getting dry rot on the brain, I think. Lately, his "predictions" keep getting more and more bizarre.  

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Hotfix
5. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Hotfix Jan 12, 2016, 13:15 WaltC

Pre HD7000 cards don't physically support any of d3d12, hence their Legacy status. Nothing arbitrary about it. Doesn't mean you can't continue to use an earlier GPU, though--but of course it won't support any of the newer features because it can't. People complain because they can't run the latest drivers with the latest feature support on their old cards--which I think is silly. You can buy an R9 380 4GB card for ~$200 with exactly the same level of d3d12 hardware support as the $500 FuryX. (An R9 380 4G that runs rings around my old HD5770, too.) Part of the fun is buying new hardware when it hits the right price point, I've always thought. Otherwise, what's the point in gaming?  

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
31. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 14:19 WaltC

People would be idiots--truly--to pre-order these things. They will *not* meet expectations--not even close. Use the money and buy a new GPU or a 2k or 4k monitor, instead. You'll thank me and anyone else who gives you sound advice.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2016, 14:56 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 10:19:
Expensive marketing gimmick on the 18 core Xeon. No game in the world would use that many cores, even the 8 core version is overkill.

Better to spend on graphics cards than waste money on that cpu.

That's just half of it...;) The "all-in-one" design kills it dead. How silly!

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 09:52 WaltC

Actually, Win7 is still more advantageous to Microsoft's bottom line than Windows 10, since 7 still costs $.

(BTW, you can still view the site with your ad-blocker on--just hit "continue"...)

Forbes as usual has no clue. I don't understand why a tech-site would even quote Forbes on technical matters.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 09:58.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2015, 21:45 WaltC

Of course, this article is pure Fudzilla click bait...;)

Aside from that, desktop PCs are far and away still the best computer technology buys going--for consumers, that is. (Companies, of course, prefer to sell tablets and laptops because the profits are much higher--customers pay through the nose.) They are fully upgradable from a hardware standpoint, from the motherboard up. As such they are fully serviceable by the end user if a component needs replacing--just pop out the old and pop in the new. Try that with a laptop or a tablet...uh-oh, pull out your wallet and get ready for some fierce billing. From the standpoint of the hardware itself you cannot beat a desktop PC--especially one you build yourself from hand-picked components--which is why the desktop PC format has got legs like nothing else in the industry. Their consumer friendliness can't be matched, let alone beaten by tablets or laptops.

Wired broadband Internet is incredibly inexpensive, more reliable and more powerful than any wireless Internet connect to date (which smartphones must use)--and the usual data caps for wired, if they exist at all, are close to 100x larger (~300GB) than they are for cell phones (~5GB). My current account has no data cap. Try that with a cell phone...;)

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
16. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 17:02 WaltC

Cl1mh4224rd wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:02:

Valve, who popularized digital distribution and is still an incredible powerhouse in that area, make an admittedly worrisome error and suddenly they're the most incompetent company to have been given a business license. All of a sudden, it's just inconceivable to some people how they could have possibly succeeded to such a degree, going so far as to imply they they are utterly incapable of succeeding on a scale that they've already achieved.

Insanity.

You don't get to where Valve is today without an impressive degree of competence. But, as reality repeatedly points out, no level of competence is immune to error.

I agree with you, of course...but on a very minor, nit-picking note, the term "digital distribution" is one I find annoying because all computer files are "digital"--whether they come via an online download or on a DVD is irrelevant--they are the same files and they are all digital. I prefer the term "online distribution"--which is a superior term, imo, because it is far more accurate & "online" actually has fewer syllable than "digital," too...;) (Therefore easier for the unwashed to remember, lol...)

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
15. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 16:52 WaltC

Armengar wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:06:
Ironically here in the uk it is worse to use paypal. We have quite a lot of laws helpping consumers using credit cards. But paypal proxy uses your credit card so the law wouldnt help you with a steam purchase via paypal.

Paypal is bank, legally, in that situation, and the same CC laws that apply to banks apply to Paypal, of course. Remember that for each PP Steam purchase you get a receipt from PP telling you what was paid for with your money, and you get a receipt from Valve which proves you paid for your merchandise. So, instead of just one receipt from a CC bank--use PP and you have 2 receipts per online transaction.

It's hard for people to accept that in this world and on this planet perfection does not exist--except as a pie-in-the-sky ideal that nobody ever reaches. 100% security & safety is an illusion. We're all mortal! The sooner people realize this the sooner they'll grow up...;) I'm often amazed that there aren't massive online outages every day--and that's because of redundant systems. But even they can fail--as when an error is copied to all of the redundant systems then the backups fail, too. Crap happens...it is inevitable in the human condition.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X
4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 15:47 WaltC

I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro. I can understand, however, people dual-booting these OSes alongside Windows, if they wish to game. Because if you game the very best place to be, bar none, is Windows. There's really no comparison. And it isn't just that the games are so much more plentiful & generally a lot better on Windows (because they aren't ports from another company using OpenGL wrappers, etc.)--the drivers for gaming hardware (like GPUs, etc.) are a lot better and the hardware itself is far more plentiful in the Windows environment.

This isn't to knock other OSes at all--just to comment on the fact that it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

In short, I can see dual-booting OS X or Linux with Windows and gaming on Windows--can't see the value of restricting myself to either non-Windows environment unless gaming is something I can take or leave. I would imagine this is pretty much universal.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Metaverse
1. Re: Christmas Eve Metaverse Dec 24, 2015, 15:27 WaltC

That article about "Internet Freedom" is weird. It forgets that most phone plans include Internet access and not by choice--user must pay for it to get the phone service. Broadband is and always has been completely a matter of choice. And it's so much less expensive than phone Internet connectivity! I haven't had a cap since I left Comcast/AT&T--years ago. Talking about caps--phone Internet service is infamous for 5GB caps, etc. Last of all, the article seems to think that phone service and broadband use two wholly different Internets, or something...;) I frankly gave up on what the author was trying to say--I don't think he knows.

Merry Christmas!

News Comments > French Steam Lawsuit
8. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 18, 2015, 14:14 WaltC

NetHead wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 11:00:
Valve claims ownership of the rights of any user-created content uploaded to Steam.

This monetising mods thing is even more insidious than I thought if they're trying to take ownership of any user created content uploaded to them.

Why upload a mod to Steam if you can upload it to Nexus? Why ever pay for a mod? I won't do either. (That's not to say I wouldn't donate if the author asked and I thought he deserved it.) At any rate, I thought I'd read that Steam quickly cancelled its plans for paid mods, shortly after announcing them--the uproar was fairly loud. Modding is an amateur sport that anyone can participate in--paid mods would likely have destroyed the practice.

I tried Steam mods a couple of years ago and quickly stopped when I realized I could not run a game without Steam checking for and downloading any new version of the mod(s) that might exist--sometimes delaying the start of the game by several minutes and also breaking lots of things. Ugh. No thanks.

But I think the important thing to remember is that nobody is ever forced to use any service, including Steam, whatever the terms. I'm in favor of people using their money with discretion--I'm not in favor of people who accept terms in order to use a service (good outweighing the bad) and then bitch about it and want to sue. That's childish. Don't like a service or a product? Don't use or buy it. That's much smarter than complaining about it and trying to get governments to force a company's hand.

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
5. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Dec 17, 2015, 21:03 WaltC

Where did 15.15 come from...?

I feel like they've gone stark, raving bananas--the first Crimson driver was not released as a beta--presumably, it was therefore a WHQL driver. Except that it wasn't a WHQL driver at all. The second driver released was a beta Crimson driver officially, which supposedly fixed a few things. This third Crimson driver is not a beta driver, but somehow is the exact same driver released as a beta earlier--the second Crimson driver. So the 15.12 WHQL is exactly the same driver as the 15.11.1b Crimson?

Wouldn't it have been better to have left the 15.11.1b driver alone until you had some substantial improvements for the next release? And the original 15.11.1b Catalyst driver release has just vanished--I still have it in my AMD directory. AMD has removed the driver completely--even on the Previous Drivers page the "15.11" drivers are the original Crimsons--and not the original Catalyst drivers. They've taken something exceedingly simple and made a mess of it, imo.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2015, 10:33 WaltC

Wake me when Musk has something to show other than a concept. I've got some cool anti-gravity concepts--but, darn, can't find the investors. I am really tired of hearing Hawking and Musk and Gates drone on and on about "AI's" and "having to leave the planet one day" and "Global Warming" (although that last is mainly Gates)--these guys have all had their noses buried in good science fiction for far too long. I love science fiction, myself, but these guys think the "fiction" part of it is actually "prophesy"--which is where & why they are so confused.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

People have these nutty ideas about Defender being poor simply because it's free and ships with Windows. It's an obvious fact, though, that companies wanting to charge you for an AV/AM program want you to think exactly that. The fact is that you cannot trust the "tests" that are run proving that Defender is great or that it stinks--I've read one of each in the last month...;) Use what you like and what gets the job done for you with a minimum of false positives (ideally none) and that doesn't gum up your system to run like it is mired in molasses...;) Whether it's free or it isn't is, imo, irrelevant. Many of the game and applications problems people have in Windows come from their AV program gumming up their works--I've used Defender since before Microsoft purchased the company and have never seen the need to use anything else. Before that I used Norton's--and what a bloody awful mess that was...!...;)

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
7. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 12, 2015, 14:37 WaltC

Actually, Derek Smart says that his relatives in the Alpha Centauri system (planet AmBorger) report that the Supreme Council has voted to provide whatever funding will be needed to complete the game, since they are satisfied with its progress at last. Smart therefore withdraws all of his charges and objections as he believes the aliens to be an unimpeachable source of truth. (He communicates directly with them through the handy Venusian signal transmitters they installed there for Smart's benefit, via receivers that are attuned to his brain waves, exclusively, during such times as those brain waves exist.)  

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
9. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 21:30 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 20:19:
so this pretty much makes Derek Smart look like an uninformed trouble making ass...

or am i wrong..

There was never any doubt about that. There were only those who knew it, and those who didn't.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 7, 2015, 14:52 WaltC

Yes, Indeed...those were heady days...just as he says! Sort of sad to see them gone in a sense...it was all so new...!

639 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo