Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 552 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems
22. Re: Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems Jul 1, 2015, 17:19 WaltC

With many games today shipping to millions of players with as many individual PC environments, it pretty much goes without saying that games have to be shipped and patches done later as the problems roll in. It would be impossible for a developer to anticipate and correct every problem and fix it before shipping--it would probably extend development time by several months and they'd still have to patch later.

But this game...from what I've seen this game had glaring problems that would have been noticeable on anyone's PC immediately, so there's no doubt whatever that they knew full well what they were shipping on the PC side of the house and just didn't care. Rather reckless, I have to say...Would have been far better to release the console versions and hold on to the PC version until they could get it right.

I think it's pretty bad when a game developer working on PS4 & xBone programs has to actually pay someone to "port" the game to the PC--because both of the new consoles are little more than pared-down x86 PCs...! Of course, the PS4 doesn't run Windows (xBone runs something very similar to Windows, though)...Even so, it all leads me to believe that the devs for this game weren't qualified, actually. For their sakes I hope the console version are better...

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report Jun 28, 2015, 12:14 WaltC

In game development, the PC separates the men from the boys...;) (Or the women from the girls, or the mature It from the immature It, etc.) Console stuff is so much easier...the end product nowhere near as good. I don't think I'd ever buy a PC game from a developer who had to pay another developer to do a PC port of his console game because he couldn't do it! The funny thing is that it looks like in this case they just hired *another* company unable to properly program a game for the PC...Lol...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 25, 2015, 20:26 WaltC

I guess that's fair, as after all, I banned anything that says "Apple" on it from my house long ago...;)

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 24, 2015, 08:11 WaltC

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 19:44:
Spector's probably right. Just like no one is seriously talking about or supporting 3D Vision or surround gaming anymore, there is a high chance that VR is going to be a thing for a few months when the OR comes out and then will be quickly forgotten about (at least in gaming... fucking Facebook will probably try to use it for other shit).

He's right...When the people who champion VR (not the ones trying to sell it) think about it, they're thinking about something much different from the reality. The whole thing has been hyped so much that they're going to be disappointed on many fronts, I fear.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted
27. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted Jun 22, 2015, 22:18 WaltC

ViRGE wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 20:38:
Well the baseline is the XB1/PS4 now, not the last-gen consoles. So they've been able to bump up the asset quality and complexity significantly.

...and that "baseline" is 100% AMD in both consoles, no nVidia anywhere...;) The specs sound ridiculous...I wonder how much they were paid to dump on AMD hardware in such a public manner...? I hope it was enough to justify pissing off at least 50% of their presumed market for the game...Very poor conduct & even worse business sense.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 11:54 WaltC

A quick interjection...people are constantly befuddled by the relationship between governments & taxes because they naively believe that government is efficient in spending tax dollars. Tax breaks are good because they give government less money to throw away...I mean, if I'm going to throw away my money I'd prefer that I be the one to do it as opposed to the government doing it with my money. Tax-breaks for all kinds of businesses are good because new businesses do what...?...hire people who then pay taxes on the money they earn, etc. Without tax breaks fewer businesses are formed or else fewer employees are hired and fewer taxes are collected by the governments to do whatever-is-noble-&-vote-getting-this-month with. Politicians get to posture and pretend it is their money, etc.

It's unfortunate that some people are really not up on the fact that government programs exist only because of the taxes collected from individuals and businesses not connected to the government--and also because of the money the taxpayers allow their governments to borrow against future tax revenues the non-government population is forced to pay.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2015, 11:38 WaltC

Anyone who hasn't bought a Windows OS in the last several years has minced spaghetti between his ears...;) There's no excuse for not having purchased either Win7 or Win8, imo--no one should have to worry about "Genuine" because everyone should be. Sadly, I know people who don't blink at spending $500 for a 3d card but who won't spend a dime on an OS, even though the OS is what gives their games and gaming hardware some value. Go figure...;) (Well, better them than me, I always say.)  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 11:30 WaltC

Gaming doesn't deserve Cliffy B. Poor gaming....;)

As to Gamasutra...the solution is a simple one...if games (some games) weren't so ridiculously overpriced to start with, there'd be no need for fire sales, and no need for people to wait for them.

No PC game should ever begin life at more than $39.99, imo. The only thing that's toxic are $60 price tags. No developer with half a brain in his head should ever be disappointed that his $59.95 game shot up in copies sold by 7000% when the price per copy hit $9.99, because he's making far more money than he ever would have made @ $59.99. $50-$60 game MSRPs are a hangover from the late 80's when games cost $50 because the market was 100x smaller than it is today. Smart developers today go for volume over price-per-copy every time...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 14, 2015, 18:03 WaltC

Guru 3d did memory tests for Witcher 3 and could not get the game to use 2GBs of vRam even at 4k resolutions...;) Some games are far more optimized and use less vRam than others, obviously.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
20. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 11, 2015, 20:44 WaltC

Well, you know the Oculus is already dead, now. This is just Windows 10 marketing, of course, and the xBone has nowhere near enough power to push an Oculus where it needs to go (for the ten or eleven people that may be foolish enough to buy one...;))

Windows 10 is the best platform for gaming, period--has nothing much to do with the xBone at all. Or the xBone controller. The xBone controller angle is weird-o; Microsoft didn't need to even mention that to give props to Windows 10--obviously "new Windows 10 graphics hardware" has nothing to do with the xBone which isn't new and drastically underpowered as well...;)

Gads, I wish Microsoft would cut out the Apple-level marketing ...it's insulting...;)

News Comments > The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers
3. Re: The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers Jun 11, 2015, 00:01 WaltC

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 23:19:
But no Dragon Wars?

Heh...;) Already have the Amiga version & the DOS version--Amiga version is much nicer...;)

News Comments > The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers
1. Re: The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers Jun 10, 2015, 23:06 WaltC

Great deal...I signed up for the $75 tier that gives me Tides of Numera, Wasteland 2 & of course BTIV--plus more copies of BT1,2 & 3...!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 7, 2015, 20:13 WaltC

Must be a really, really slow week for Steam... Pre-orders for the Steam controller @ # 5? Either it was a really bad week or else the idiot quotient within the larger population is on the rise--Incredible...;) Some people will buy anything apparently...! I bought F:NV two years ago at $5.00 during the Steam Christmas sale...Amazing stuff. (Get the mods for it, however--they improve it greatly.) Apparently Steam's volumes are dropping--possibly the real cause of the just-announced Steam refund policy, you think?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/?

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Trailer
8. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 11:40 WaltC

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:30:

It almost looks too good to the point that I worry about their budget supporting it. Of course, we don't know how much of their own money they're bringing to the table. But I feel pretty confident (based on the videos with the kid, and Fargo's comments) it doesn't feature outside funding.

But hey, I'm along for the ride. I keep seeing stuff like this (specifically gameplay/combat mechanic examples) and the pledge will go up as well.

People often believe that the artistry of a game boils down to the amount of money spent on it...nothing could be further from true...;) This trailer looks great because the crew who put it together knows what it's doing--and is talented enough to make it happen. That's far more important than throwing money at a game. Take a look at EA if you want to see where "How many game developers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" philosophy gets you. It really doesn't matter how much money or how little money you throw at a game--if you don't know what you're doing the rest of it is in vain.

This looks great, so far! I especially liked the Talking Mouth...I had forgotten about them from the first games--so great to see those concepts finally brought to life! This may be the Bard's Tale that lived in my imagination as I played the game back in the 80's! This may even be better.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 2, 2015, 19:47 WaltC

As usual, the "Cruddington Ghost" (my nickname for that propaganda rag) is all wrong about just about everything...;) But, you can't argue with heterophobes, can you?

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 19:44 WaltC

I confess my ignorance of the title, but if this is another D3-like "Let's build our DRM into the structure of the game itself," I'll pass, again. Is it? Anyone know?

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
25. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 19:41 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 17:54:
Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:13:
Anyone else wondering how they are going to fund this game when they are giving away three games. each game cost at least 20 dollars. and there are 11580 backers. times that by 20 and that already over 230 thousand.

Seems like a lot of funding is going to get wasted on a free game promised.

How's it costing them that? They aren't physical products and giving away copies doesn't mean they were going to translate into sales to begin with. That's the argument corps use against piracy and it doesn't work. People will just not buy it instead.

Yes, that's the great thing about successful Kickstarters: when the game ships its development costs have already been paid and from there on out it should all be sweet profit gravy...! I'd wager that 80%-90% of all the people who were going to buy those other games have already purchased them by now. They are losing nothing here, but potentially getting a much better response to this particular Kickstarter.

Console MSRP's of $60 out of the starting gate are just plain *wrong*. $50-$60 for per-copy costs might have made sense in 1990 when there were something like six-million computers in the entire world capable of running 2d games...;) Today there are at least 1.5 billion people running Windows in the world (some version thereof) and out of that at least a solid 60,000,000-120,000,000 "computer gamers" in the market! Charging 1990 prices in 2015 is guaranteed to get you nice fat rates of piracy. But, greed is always short-sighted, isn't it? Some developers and publishers understand the markets today, others don't. But that always been true. Good for InXile!

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Tomorrow
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Tomorrow Jun 2, 2015, 19:25 WaltC

I am upset at the wasted opportunity to take what they learned with M&M X and move ahead in that direction--Heroes of M&M VII is a completely different sort of game with much different mechanics & engine requirements. I thought they made a great start with M&MX, but that should have been the beginning and not the end--there should have been a M&M XI and XII, frankly. Apparently they had to basically take their M&M X work and simply dump it for this project. "A rolling stone gathers no moss," as the saying goes...;) Ah, if only UbiSoft had had the good sense to fund at least three of the M&MX titles--this group might just have created a gem on the second or third attempt. I hate to see game developers suffer because of a publisher's lack of vision and common sense--publishers throw away millions upon millions of dollars by quitting too soon, imo. (I know this is only a setback for the beta--but still, had then done another M&M--non-Heroes--game they'd have shown an amazing amount of progress by now instead having to go back to the drawing board like this.)  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 2, 2015, 19:13 WaltC

I am infinitely saddened every time I read of a young person (James Storey) passing out of our reach. When I was younger I remember my father telling me, "Life is short, son, so make the most of it." I thought at the time that he was being unnecessarily dramatic, if not a bit negative. It's a shame that many of us (like me) have to be a decade or two further along than James before we realize it. But that's just life, I guess.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
19. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 15:54 WaltC

Brumbek wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 13:54:
I almost feel bad for not paying more, but honestly I never played Bard's Tale and never cared much for that genre. But with Legend of Grimlock being AWESOME, I'm glad to support Bard's Tale IV.

I'll have to do something with this Kickstarter...

You should give Bard's Tale II a spin, certainly...In BT1 I can still remember drawing my maps on graph paper--you could not finish the game without doing that...;) It was fun, but I suspect I am far too spoiled to do that again. (Were those maps 20x20 or 22x22 grids?)

I really like inXile. I mean shoot, I even loved their last AAA publisher game Hunted: The Demon's Forge despite it getting slammed by critics and having horrible sales! I still say Hunted was a great game with nice art and interesting lore (and it used Unreal Engine 3, so perhaps Bard's Tale IV will look similar to it!).

If you thought Grimlock was "awesome" then I'd say you think this genre is awesome...;) I think BT2 was my favorite...check them out...!

552 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo