Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 423 (Amateur)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles
6. Re: GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles Oct 14, 2014, 16:04 WaltC

It will be interesting to see how well Gog does with this...Linux gamers should have a nice pent-up demand...be interesting to see how they'll react to actually being able to buy some games!...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 14:06 WaltC

Sad, but I've seen it before, and from other companies...it's more console pandering--which always reinforces my life-long decision never to buy a console. Ugh. Getting lied to and manipulated is par for the console PR course. Those poor suckers...

Ubisoft has to be practically idiotic, however, to deliberately hobble the game to run at a lower resolution on the PS4 than is possible simply because of the lower specs of the xBone. The game may well ship @ 900 for the PS4 but it will be interested to see if that is actually *locked* into the game and not adjustable by the user. I'm guessing because it isn't mentioned the PC version won't be locked at that ridiculously low resolution--to do that would be incredibly, astronomically stupid...;) But, it's Ubisoft, so who knows...?

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 17:45 WaltC

Remember kiddies...;)...At the end of the day, 80% of all of the drives did not fail at all during the time span, and that very few people run their hard drives under such a continuous pace and load, 24/7...;) Translated for the consumer, the facts uncovered in these tests need not apply at all to home use...Seagate probably looks worse than it should look under these results if we're talking home use; the other guys look better than they should look under home scenarios. What matters *most* for the consumer with hard drives is surely not the "brand" you buy, but rather the depth and breadth of the factory warranty you get, and the advisability of keeping backups of your critical stuff no matter what HD's you own. Brand matters only insofar as calculating whether the company you buy from will be around long enough to make good on its warranty if called upon to do so.

As far as Americans "loving Apple", well, as an American I am quite pleased to say that Apple doesn't make anything I even like, let alone "love"...;) [Ah, fanpeople and their delusions...:D] You don't have to worry about Apple factory warranties as they are *all* brutishly short...;) [Apple has such faith in its products that it insists you pay extra for what is industry-standard warranty coverage most everywhere else--which explains why, among several other reasons, that the OS X Mac is still the least-loved computer platform on earth...;)]

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 18, 2014, 11:08 WaltC

harlock wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 21:56:

4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Christ Roberts replied. “My hour has not yet come.”...

The only problem with this that I can see is that "Christ Roberts" does not exist. Of course, atheists also do not exist (at least, I personally don't believe in them.) Come and join us at Freedom from Atheism.org !

(This was a half-joking post, and I was surprised to find that "freedom from atheism" organizations do indeed exist! I find that very healthy, actually. Now, all we need do is invent the word "hetereophobia" to apply to homosexuals just as they invented the word "homophobia" to describe heterosexuals!)

Eh?...

Personally, I think people who don't like Robert's continuing fund- raising are just jealous, and that's about the size of it. I mean, if Microsoft can throw away $2.5B on a worn-out Lego blocks game for kiddies, then what's $53M among friends?

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 10:39 WaltC

PBSNewsHour is liberal in political leaning and like all such "news" outlets it is doing its best to report on anything and everything except the ever-unfolding Obama collapse. If the story is ridiculous, incredulous, and utterly unimportant it doesn't matter: it means they can spend less time trying spin/defend the indefensible Obama administration. And there you have it...;)

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 11:42 WaltC

Verno wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 09:46:
I tried to do another playthru but it didn't hold up very well. Once you know whats effective its very hard to artificially challenge yourself and the games writing is subpar so you feel like you're just going through the motions. Some of the pixel hunt puzzles are just silly too.

I do love the combat system and hope that perhaps some modders come up with better campaigns for the game.

Pixel hunt? Hold down the Alt key...

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer
2. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 12:05 WaltC

I've seen maybe three trailers for it in the last few months...the first one impressed me, but the subsequent trailers seem to be bringing new meaning to the phrase "repetitive game play." If this game has a story of some kind and more to it than leap-somersault-grab-pullup-stab-spin-quaff-repeat I admit to being puzzled about that...;)

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
102. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:29 WaltC

The only thing dumber than this would have been Microsoft's purchase of Yahoo!...;) Yahoo! saved them from that mistake--and Yahoo!'s founder cost Yahoo! stockholders a bundle! Close call for Ballmer's nonsense. Should this happen I will think Microsoft has lost its cotton-pickin' mind... (And here I thought the company was on the way back to sanity.)

Microsoft could build a powerful, deeply talented gaming studio with $2B. But Microsoft needs to concentrate on *game development* first and xBox crap a distant second. If they are thinking of doing this to prop up the ailing xBone--good gosh, it's all over--Microsoft has become completely lost.

Giving the money to a one-trick game company specializing in low-priced, Lego-block themed DX6-level graphics games the intellectual equivalent of "Tic-tac-toe for 6-year olds" would undoubtedly prove to the world that Microsoft has been taken over by morons and pretenders. If this utterly ridiculous news turns out to be true...gosh this has got to be just the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Impossible, I'd say, except for how close Microsoft came to throwing away $40B on Yahoo!.

I first saw this rumor published on Joystiq (through a 3rd-party link yesterday), and will say I think the WSJ is blowing its credibility by publishing garbage like this before it's verified. The Joystiq article had no attribution or credibility either. We'll see. I'm getting tired of rumor-mongering.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 08:56 WaltC

I am happy to say that because

a) I don't own any flavor of iPhone and never shall
&
b) The games I play won't run on mobile (toy) platforms, and never shall...

that no, the iPhone6 will not inconvenience or otherwise ruin my life in any way, shape, or form...;)

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 11:08 WaltC

UHD wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:42:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:34:
Task wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 09:46:
I still laugh every time I see that word "Gamergate" as if its somehow anything 'like' Watergate. "One of these things is not like the other one."
So does that mean every time the MSM puts "gate" to the end of something like bridegate, or whatever else it is less of an issue?

No, it means "Watergate" was an actual scandal that had significant real-world consequences, whereas "Gamergate" is inconsequential and only has importance if you get mad when someone you don't know says something vague but negative about your preferred subculture.

Watergate was little more than a Democratically controlled Congress hurling stones at a Republican president who won reelection over a Democrat by a wide margin. It was political clap-trap from day 1. "Gamergate," indeed, is even less--it is less than nothing.

It was really amusing--the liberal press as usual asking stupendously stupid questions, like: "Is this the end of the Republican party?" ...And then later Reagan & the Republicans take Congress and the Presidency, etc. When it comes to "stupid," nobody is dumber than liberal Democrats, imo...;) What morons! They are fantastically delusional.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 20:51 WaltC

Who could forget the eminently forgettable "suck it down" ad campaign about a game of villainous frogs descending like a Biblical plague on a runt and his Wacky-Doodle-Do sword...? (Me, for one.) Ugh.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 8, 2014, 09:39 WaltC

Counting the days until people grow bored out of their minds with cell phones...;)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2014, 11:03 WaltC

Graphics & gaming...and for ATi & AMD...that started about 15 years ago ~1999, roughly. Two companies, 15 years each = 30 years. I would think that is the only way they could come up with this number. AMD had a really nice gaming cpu in 1999, the original Athlon. But ATi, well, ATI really didn't enter the 3d gaming arena in a strong way until R300 in 2002. However, long before 3d gaming came to be, 2d games were very popular, and ATi made some decent 2d accelerators pre-R300 (they also had several attempts at 3d, but they were all pretty poor efforts so I won't count those...;))

Man, this makes me realize just how recent 3d gaming really is...!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 21, 2014, 15:30 WaltC

Great idea (I think) would be to allow any local government anywhere to start up its own municipal broadband, with the proviso that whatever taxpayer funds it spends to do so would be matched by local-government grants of the same amounts to the local cable companies those governments have already licensed to do business in their areas.

I think that's the extent of the private company objections--that they cannot compete with tax-payer subsidized businesses. But that's the problem with the whole Municipal Broadband concept as far as the public is concerned--they think it's yet another Obama-styled promise of something-for-nothing. Once they discover they'll have to pay for it, and how much it will cost them, they may well have second thoughts about the whole thing. Yes, it might wind up being better than what they presently have, but then again, it might wind up being much worse.

In general, though, I favor the idea of municipal broadband (and I vacillate between (R) and (I)...;)) I favor it because it will motivate the private companies like Comcast to get off their duffs and stop spending so much money buying other companies and start upgrading the Internet connection speeds they presently offer to their existing customers.

I have an incredibly good ISP these days (Cogent) and I average 50Mb/s down & up(!), and I do so for the price of Comcast's ~6Mb/s down, 512k up service (which I had previously for about 15 years.) Sadly, I don't think I'm a typical case, though, because I sit 75 feet from my fiber Internet connection and I connect to that via an EWAN. But if people can find the right ISP and get close enough to the fiber (heck, they brought the fiber right into my apartment building!) they'll be able to do the same.

Edit: typos

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2014, 15:36.

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
2. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 10:13 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 10:03:
Still Ugly but in now in 3d. Yay!

Yup, always ugly, always 3d, but soon in stereoscopy, too...;) (Assuming someone cares.)

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
4. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support Aug 16, 2014, 12:35 WaltC

Hard to believe that anyone alive hasn't already updated to 8.1...;) This reminds me of Win7 and service packs--all the numbskulls who refused to go to SVC pck 1 & so forth, because of some obscure principle that made sense to precisely two people (usually people who objected to the idea of paying for their OS, etc.)...!

This is really old news (60 days +) as we are now on 14.7RC3 beta and the decision to drop 8.0 wddm 1.2 support (because wddm 1.3 is better) began two months ago, with the 14.6 betas.

Partly, this silliness is Microsoft's fault, too--since it should have called 8.1 "service pack 1" in the established Windows tradition of service packs--because that is exactly what 8.1 is. This is what happens when marketing people are put in charge of naming technical products--rarely does anything make any sense until you get past the silly marketing.

Like, there are going to be no more "patch Tuesdays" at Microsoft because some marketing hillbilly decided that "update Tuesday" sounds better--so we're getting "update Tuesdays", instead. Predictably, some dumb people are running around screaming "No more patching from Microsoft!" If there's a way to break something that is already fixed, it will be a marketeer who will do it.

News Comments > Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust
3. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 13:38 WaltC

Re-earn my trust? Heh...;) The guy lost that forever when he talked Sweeney into leaving the PC...the very platform that gave him his start. Like the poster before me, I think CliffyB is full of it...he's another "suck-it-down" John Romero sort of nincompoop...We don't need any more of that sort of thing...

We're watching the Peter-Principle at work--CliffyB's apex was with Epic but he hasn't realized it yet...it's all downhill for him now, most likely...The guy's a walking dictionary of cliches..."bitten of more than he can chew," and "disaster waiting to happen," etc.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 20:25 WaltC

"Congress fixing tech problems" has to be right up there with the all-time-great oxymorons...;)  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:34 WaltC

My favorite line: "Seriously, just fuck off..." and then something like, "if you're going to bring this up." The person who wrote this is so stupid that he doesn't realize *he* is the person who brought it up...;)

Troll bait this is...no doubt. But the article itself I think is an excellent and telling expose' on the minds of people who keep telling themselves that console gaming is "just as good" as what's available elsewhere. It allows us to look deeper into the mind of one of those folks than we'll ever want to look again!....Ugh.

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
18. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 15:05 WaltC

I don't know why people throw money after these penny-ante games for which the "developers" claim they can produce for a mere $50k. (Figured out on the back of a napkin at lunch no doubt.) I'd very skeptical of anyone claiming they can do a game for $50G--the people who think these things up believe that asking for a low amount is better sucker bait as more people will be willing to give smaller amounts, etc. Offers to make complex games on next to nothing like this should be viewed with FUD, in my opinion.  

423 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo