Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Christopher Kinard

Real Name Christopher Kinard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname necrosis
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 00:06
Total Comments 2005 (Senior)
User ID 16007

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Details?
8. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 14:47 necrosis

If all this is to be believed it sounds like I am going to skip this like I skipped Starcraft II.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PS3 Steam Details
26. Re: PS3 Steam Details Apr 14, 2011, 09:06 necrosis

necrosis wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 08:57:
Here is my question. If you are playing Portal 2 on PS3 logged into steam and you want to play something on your PC via steam will the PS3 version be kicked out?

Kinda like bullshit Live where if your playing a GfWL game on PC and signed in and you try to use say... anything Live on 360 the PC gets booted out.
Answering my own post here. Taken from a Valve post on the steam forums:

If you are asking about whether your Steam account can be used on PC at the same time as PS3, it can. You can play any of your PC games on your PC and stay connected to Steam while also being connected to Steam with the same linked Steam account on your PS3 for Portal 2. This is different than the single session at a time model Steam has always had on PC/OSX. The model is now one single PC or OSX session, plus one PS3 session at once. If you receive a friends message while signed in on PS3 and PC then it will be broadcast to both locations, same for game invites, etc. One thing that you cannot do here is play Portal 2 with yourself by playing on PC and PS3 and inviting yourself. To play online co-op two separate Steam accounts must be involved.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21763977&postcount=14

25. Re: PS3 Steam Details Apr 14, 2011, 08:57 necrosis

Here is my question. If you are playing Portal 2 on PS3 logged into steam and you want to play something on your PC via steam will the PS3 version be kicked out?

Kinda like bullshit Live where if your playing a GfWL game on PC and signed in and you try to use say... anything Live on 360 the PC gets booted out.

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
40. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 14, 2011, 08:46 necrosis

frag.machine wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 20:32:
My 0.02$ to the game devs:

If this can affect a valid user in a negative way, then simply don't do it. It will scratch your public image, period. It's not worth the brief satisfaction.
Going to the DMV effects me in a negative way. So according to your theory we should not have drivers licensees?

Basically what your saying is if it is not 110% perfect don't do it?

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
12. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 15:40 necrosis

SirKnight wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 15:26:
FreezeStrike wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:31:
Worked on a game; we put in several subtly broken feature that we knew pirates would miss when they generated cracked copies of the game. The game still ran, but you'd hit a non-progression bug after some regular gameplay.

On release day, ~20-30% of our tech forum issues were about the broken features that would only show up in cracked versions. Not only did these people not buy our game, they felt justified in asking the developers, directly, to spend time helping them fix their pirated software.

This reminds me of the FADE system Bohemia Interactive uses in their games (Operation Flashpoint, Arma, ...) where if they detect a pirated copy then the game over time will start to run really slow and wash out becoming unplayable.

I think the algorithm for detecting a pirated version activated a few times with legit copies, which is to be expected I guess. But, the few times this happens is pretty much negligible I'd think.

It would be nice if it were possible to construct a perfect algorithm for detecting pirates and when you do, format their drives. Muahaha! But that's not really possible and so non-pirates would be getting wiped out which would bring all kinds of hellfire on the devs then. Too bad b/c I'd love nothing more than to format an actual pirate's computer. Over and over again.
The problem with systems like FADE it is hard to tell if the game has a false positive or the game is glitching out. I have heard many situations like this and it only bites the developer in the ass.

Game gets pirated before launch, game glitches because its pirated, word gets out that the game is a pile of crap (despite being a pirated copy/leaked copy/beta/alpha), game gets bad press, no one buys game when it legitimately comes out.

15. Re: PS3 Steam Details Apr 13, 2011, 15:33 necrosis

Techie714 wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:07:
WOW, this is REALLY going to PISS OFF the big companies like EA,Activision, etc.

Activision Exec: "Wait so let me get this straight people who buy the PS3 version of Portal 2 are getting a FREE copy for the PC via STEAM"

Activision Exec: "This makes ZERO sense in my mind, these PC Gamers should be paying for a full price copy of Portal 2 on PC too, this is an OUTRAGE!, What the hell is wrong with these...VALVE people, trying to support their customers, promoting the platform, etc...This is bullshit! These PS3/PC Gamers should also be paying a premium rental fee for cross platform! Were in the business of GREED & supporting customers like this is inexcusable!"

Thanks VALVE! =)
*Fixed
To get really technical here its not exactly "free". It just that Valve believes that if you buy a lic to their game that lic should be for all platforms of said game.

Like buying Assassin's Creed and getting the PC, 360, and PS3 versions of the game.

To bad only Valve sees things this way. Nothing like still having to pay full price for a game that comes out 6 months or more after it hits one platform just because it is "new" on another platform.

Personally I just got the PC version despite having a PS3. I just do not EVER see myself trying to play this game with a controller.

2. Re: PS3 Steam Details Apr 13, 2011, 13:48 necrosis

Still not sure why they can not do this the other way around with PSN download codes.  

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Down
49. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Down Apr 13, 2011, 09:08 necrosis

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 04:34:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 03:53:
Technically, the retail version of DAO did have DRM. It was just a rudimentary disc-check + CD-key, though.

I thought that was what I said. Disc-check is copy protection but not DRM. DRM means managing access after the sale digitally.
"Digital rights management (DRM) is a term for access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to limit the use of digital content and devices"

Disk checks are a form a DRM. They regulate and control how you can use their software by requiring the disk to be in the drive after the software is installed. DRM is anything that prevents you from using the software outside the physical requirement of said software (installing it it your hard drive).

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Down
14. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Down Apr 12, 2011, 21:42 necrosis

This reminds me of when Assassin's Creed 2 servers went down last month and Ubi took almost a day or more to even say that there was a problem.  

News Comments > Portal 2 'Boots' Trailer
6. Re: Portal 2 'Boots' Trailer Apr 12, 2011, 15:23 necrosis

Krovven wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 13:28:
Gonna get the PS3 version to get the PC version free from linking Steam/PSN accounts. PS3 has split screen, which will be great for friends coming over.
I thought about that then did some thinking... when am I ever going to want to play this game with a controller.

Just pre-ordered it on Steam.

News Comments > Dragon Age 2 Patch
8. Re: Dragon Age 2 Patch Apr 12, 2011, 15:21 necrosis

Blue wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 14:59:
Techie714 wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 14:41:
Is this the patch the turns it back into the great game DA1 was?

Steam offers that patch here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/47810/
Well played sir!

News Comments > Street Fighter X Tekken PC Announced
3. Re: Street Fighter X Tekken PC Announced Apr 12, 2011, 12:59 necrosis

Anonymous wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:48:
Street Fighter VS Tekken? Who the fuck cares!
Fighting game on PC? Who the fuck cares!

News Comments > GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy
21. Re: GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy Apr 12, 2011, 11:52 necrosis

Tavil wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 10:45:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 10:42:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 10:35:
DRM is generally the first thing I check before a purchase. And if it's not something I like, I find something else to play...
First thing i check before buying something from Steam: Are there cracks and patches to free my game from Steam? If yes, i buy. If no, i wait until i find a crack.

I dont get the hate for Steam from people nowadays.
Sure it used to be pretty terrible, but nowadays Steam is fantastic IMO.I Dont have any problem playing my games through Steam.
Same here. I have no idea why everyone is still sandy vag over Steam still.

News Comments > Portal 2 Concept Art
4. Re: Portal 2 Concept Art Apr 11, 2011, 12:41 necrosis

Zoom wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 10:41:
This whole campaign of cryptographic buzz is very amazing. It's even more amazing that they expect their potential customers to actually use their brains, which is against the usual marketing strategies today...
Yes, the lack of puzzle 'platform' games is really lacking. The closest thing lately was Assassin's Creed. But that was very low on the puzzle part.

To many "BOOM HEADSHOT!" games out there.

News Comments > PC Super Street Fighter IV Speculation
4. Re: PC Super Street Fighter IV Speculation Apr 11, 2011, 10:51 necrosis

Fighting games on PC's are like FPS's on consoles.

They do not belong.

News Comments > Portal 2 Concept Art
1. Re: Portal 2 Concept Art Apr 11, 2011, 10:35 necrosis

Despite not really seeing your character those should be offered as alt skins.

First image, far right == yes please.

...god i'm pathetic.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans
7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 10:53 necrosis

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:52:
necrosis wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:46:
Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:37:
Also, is it me, or did they change Shepard's look?
No idea. I have never used male shep. Definitely won't once I heard how bad the voice actor was compared to fem shep.

I like male better for Paragon, but whenever I go renegade, femshep is absolutely the way to go. Jennifer Hale is FANTASTIC with the renegade stuff.

Creston
Yes. That is the same reason I pick femshep. Maleshep just does not do the sarcastic/asshole responses that well.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans
4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 10:46 necrosis

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:37:
Also, is it me, or did they change Shepard's look?
No idea. I have never used male shep. Definitely won't once I heard how bad the voice actor was compared to fem shep.

News Comments > Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam
13. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 14:13 necrosis

Verno wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 14:09:
Well to be fair it's his job. You don't generally proclaim your competitors offerings to be superior to your own.
But when you do claim yours is superior it is usually a good idea to state why that is.

News Comments > Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam
7. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 14:04 necrosis

"Steam is the most popular, to be sure, but technologically? Let me put it this way. The technology difference between Impulse and Steam is such that any objective developer who looked at the two would overwhelmingly...let's just say the gulf is significant enough that it's not really a 'depends on your point of view' thing."
Could we be any more vague? What does Impulse have that Steam does not? What makes it so different that one would "overwhelmingly" pick Impulse over Steam?

All I can say with GameStop now owning Impulse it will take a cold day in hell for me to buy anything from them now. I refuse to go to their stores because of the pushy sales people ("You want a strategy guide with that?" "No. I actually want to play my fucking game the way it was designed to be played."), their joke of a PC game selection (usually just a floor cart loaded with beat up and opened boxes), selling open products as new, and on the few occasions their crappy trade in price ratio vs what they resell them at.

2005 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo