Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Christopher Kinard

Real Name Christopher Kinard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname necrosis
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 00:06
Total Comments 2004 (Senior)
User ID 16007

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
2. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 10:46 necrosis

Yeah really. I am kind of mad that SE just rolled over on this one.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3
41. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 09:34 necrosis

John Lovitz wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 04:44:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:46:
I never thought I'd say this, but Activision's offering seems more compelling right now (if you like this style game):

BF3:
--Always on DRM
--no dedicated servers
--locked at 30fps
--Can be taken away from you if you stop using origin for 2 years

CODMW3:
--Steam DRM
--Dedicated user run server option
--60 fps target
--you lose it only if Gabe chokes on a meal, and has no will.

o.O

^D^

BF3 is not locked at 30fps
no dedicated servers is not a big deal
I guess your lucky enough that every LAN party you go to has internet.

News Comments > GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
27. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 08:56 necrosis

Wait, wait, wait. GameStop is getting their panties in a knot over a piece of paper in a PC game.

Key word here *PC GAME*.

When in the last 10 years has GameStop given a flying rats ass fuck about PC gaming? Every fucking store I go into has PC games on a 3 foot square rolling cart loaded with busted up and open boxes. New titles? Not unless you preorder, and even then never get enough.

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
38. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 15:39 necrosis

Darks wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:35:
Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:13:
Satoru wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:08:
One time online activation has been extremely effective against games being released before their street date. Pre-street date releases of PC games are pretty much in the minority now. Where as on the console side it's still a major problem.

I'm not sure about that, I think if I go back over the past two years there have been a fair number of pre-release leaks of PC titles with online activation. There's nothing really tying online activation to less pre-release piracy that can't also be the result of a dozen other factors.

I don't agree with your conclusion either, I think if anything it would be more related to the fact that digital distribution has taken over to a large extent that many of the old sources for early PC releases simply aren't around anymore. Most pre-release leaks come from review and retail sources. Publishers have wisened up to this in many ways and delay shipments as long as possible. They've also started using better methods of tracking review copies or sourcing them via DD sites.

The PC AAA side of the industry has largely waned while the consoles became more prevalent. Console games need more advance notice for many reasons so they probably get their copies much sooner and due to their increased popularity it is a lot easier to get your hands on a game pre-release and upload it somewhere.

Your Wrong, HAWX 2. There are no known cracks for that game. Itís one of those games where the Scene has not put a lot of effort into cracking. Again, they sit, wait and buy it when itís cheap.

He's not wrong then, it's not unbreakable it's just that no one cares. The same scheme has been used in other titles and was circumvented.

I disagree Verno, until an actual crack comes out its unbreakable. Thatís a win for Ubi. Try and word it any way you like, but there are no cracks for this game. So, Iím right in what I said. This also leads Ubi to belive their methods are working.
And because there is no solid proof there is a God he must exist? That is basically what you are saying.

People said Game Cube was "uncrackable" because there was nothing out there to run unsigned games for a really long time but it was because no one gave a shit. No one was really putting mass effort into it like they did with XBox and PS2.

Saying something 'is' because there is no proof it 'is not' is just stupid.

News Comments > GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons
23. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 15:34 necrosis

Krovven wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 15:26:
Something I thought of while talking to a friend about this...

I thought GameStop was refusing to sell games that required Steam activation? DoW2, Left4Dead, etc. I guess they realized they were losing money from being so stupid? So instead, now they are trying to block consumers from finding out about OnLive?
There was one Digital Distro that refused to sell Steamworks games (D2D IIRC).

22. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 15:32 necrosis

JayDeath wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 14:32:
I wish Newegg still had brick and mortar stores instead of just the online store. I miss the Newegg that was down the road. *sigh*
Newegg had B&M stores?!

6. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 14:19 necrosis

GameStop sells PC games? That is news right there.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 13:21 necrosis

Tumbler wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 13:05:
Onlive? Oooo, I'm going to play that when I get home! NO! Wait, I can play it right here at work!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH.
$50 for a game that requires the internet and you will never physically own. Net alone zero config options graphically.

Maybe if it was $25. But no way in hell for the same price as a boxed version.

News Comments > From Dust DRM to Change
34. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 08:34 necrosis

The reviews are out. I don't think anyone cares at this point.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 18:01 necrosis

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 16:45:
I may be completely off here, but if the game uses Steamworks security, it won't matter a hill of squash where you bought it from; it won't activate until 12PST.

As I recall, this was an issue with CoD:MW2...

^D^
Yep. I remember hearing about this the following day at work. Bunch of people I know went to midnight sales of the game for PC and got home to find out they could not play for another 3 hours. While anyone who got it for consoles was playing it the second they got home.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
88. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 22, 2011, 00:06 necrosis

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 17:33:
Riker wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 15:33:
Pre-loaded and ready to go. But why, oh why, didn't they release it so we could play it over the weekend? Who the hell comes up with these release/unlock dates??

Games always get released on Tuesdays in the US. It's a logistics thing from the days when we were supposed to give a shit about B&M stores. Why we're still tied to the likes of Gamestop is beyond me.

Creston
I second this.

55. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 21, 2011, 00:23 necrosis

Azriel wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 00:02:
I tried the beta to see if it was a true deus ex sequel and my view is that its more invisible war than deus ex. Spoilers below!

-Spoilers below, read at own risk-
Go fucking troll somewhere else or use the god damned secret tags you inconsiderate ass.

42. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 18:58 necrosis

Krovven wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 18:52:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 18:47:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 18:25:
If you buy a retail box of a game, you can "resell" it. It will be deactivated from your account, and activated for the other person.

Hahahahaha... no sir, it does not work that way.

Just to reiterate...incase you were unclear.

Hahahahaha... no sir, it does not work that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQg8JKo_3ZQ

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 18:57 necrosis

the_culture wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:03:
I got the game early and so far I'm not impressed. **SPOILERS**
Surprised Blue hasten nuked this post.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 15:04 necrosis

spindoctor wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 14:59:
Artificially limit the supply of the game at launch? Just how stupid does EA think we they are?

News Comments > Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal
22. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 13:39 necrosis

Pankin wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:34:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 12:05:
Putting a speedboat in the America's Cup and it's guaranteed victory, but that doesn't mean those sailing are incompetent morons that shouldn't enjoy what they do.

Good analogy, seriously.
But over time when every race is won by the speedboat's the sailors will eventually demand that they are removed.

Even if the sailors are having fun after many races coming in the bottom of the pack all the time and never taking first would wear on them.

The other thing is unless there is a huge icon floating over people using KB&M one really does not know if that person is just better at playing with a controller than they are or if it is someone with a KB&M. This would only frustrate things.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2011, 13:45.

News Comments > Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal
7. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 12:03 necrosis

Dades wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:55:

I've never heard any debate.

It's an oft repeated forum canard that people can become as good with a controller as a mouse and keyboard player. The truth is that people might become good enough to compete against other people using controllers but going up against kb/m users will be disastrous.
I more look at it as there is a 1000 times higher learning curve on using a controller in a FPS vs. a KB&M.

But I do think you are right. On a level field (no auto-aim, larger hit boxes, any of that bullshit) a well trained KB&M user will drop a just as skilled controller user. Simply on the grounds the KB&M user has better control of how fast he can move the camera around. The controller user would be locked into a fixed speed he can look around and if he increases this speed (if even possible) his accuracy will take a hit.

And as for the thing about Microsoft not doing cross platform games where your input device makes a big difference because of the differences in KB&M vs. controller. Ill second that. Wish I had a link to the article. Only cross platform game I know of is FFXI. But being a MMO the input isn't that big a deal.

5. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 11:53 necrosis

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:50:
This will end the debate over "keyboard+mouse vs controller" quickly...

I've never heard any debate.
In fact, Microsoft doesn't allow m+k on the Xbox to prevent an unfair advantage, and any cross-platform game in recent memory (Huxley, Shadowrun) has struggled with finding a way to either nerf m+k (which will piss people off) or add auto-aim to controllers.

Seriously. Never once saw anyone question it outside of imagined arguments on this board.
Yeah really. Just look how bad auto-aim was when using a controller in the PC version of Crysis 2. Or should I say how good it was.

I would like to say I won't hold my breath tho. Valve is not good at doing balance with things like this. Proof is in Portal 2 with the removal of any puzzle challenge that required fast and precise re-aiming of the portal gun. All because a console version was thought of from day one unlike the original Portal.

2. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 11:43 necrosis

pagb wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:41:
This will end the debate over "keyboard+mouse vs controller" quickly...
That was done years ago when Quake 3 came out for Dreamcast. If you downgraded your PC version of Quake 3 to version 1.16 (IIRC) you could play on the same servers.

And remember. It was Epic that said gamepad players of U3 were taking out KB&M players left and right.

News Comments > From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated]
37. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 19, 2011, 10:58 necrosis

---

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2011, 11:08.

2004 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo