Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mad Max RW

Real Name Mad Max RW   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mad Max RW
Email madmax_rw2000@yahoo.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2003, 21:40
Total Comments 1732 (Pro)
User ID 15920

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 07:13 Mad Max RW

Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 00:52:
I hope Wasteland 2 is on this list for a long while. Loving the beta and couldn't be happier with KickStarting this one.

One word of warning do not create a custom character portrait nor use them in game until they fix the bug. When you reload the save game your custom character portraits may all go white or light blue. At that point there is a chance that it has caused your save game to break... and you will lose all progress. Not being able to load any of the saved games after that point.

It is a beta... although badass... still a beta, go figure.

There's a temp fix where you can open the saved game file with notepad and type back in the correct portrait name for your character.

Search your char's name then look for:
<portraitName>CustomPortraitFilename</portraitName>
where "CustomPortraitFileName is blank. Type in the file name without the png extension and save.

There's another temp fix for when the game crashes to desktop while loading a save. Quickly start a new game and skip through the starting dialogue by repeatedly selecting "Goodbye". Hit escape and Load your original game. This was the only way I could complete the Rail Nomad area.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 16:09 Mad Max RW

It's not like that money is expanding Brian Fargo's fleet of private jets or renovating his mansion. The game is still in development and has a long way to go. They don't have a publisher around to provide milestone payments. Anything extra they get now means employees are paid for longer and the final game is that much better.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access
9. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access Dec 14, 2013, 15:31 Mad Max RW

This is what it says under the $55 pledge on the Kickstarter page:

THE INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY ALL DIGITAL PACKAGE! You get one digital copy of the game DRM free for PC, Mac or Linux, digital soundtrack, digital concept art book, episodic novella part 1 and 2, and premiere access to an early playable beta on steam. This comes with no physical goods to help with VAT, duty and shipping costs for our international fans!

Not reading isn't a valid excuse. You had more than a year and a half to figure it out.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Screenshots?
15. Re: Alien Isolation Screenshots? Dec 14, 2013, 13:58 Mad Max RW

Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 04:39:
This could be great if it focuses on survival horror and not on shoot-everything-that-moves.

Then prepare to be disappointed.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M
22. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:35 Mad Max RW

Shataan wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:45:
"Currently the problem is the resolution"

That was my whole point. And the resolution is NOT a problem. They have easy access to high rez usable view screens. Their problem is not a technical issue.

It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.

what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3. Better this, than shipping a less than decent display. Sony took the loss, but not they are everywhere.

You're assuming the Oculus Rift, a technology that only failed to sell in the past, will be hugely successful after they go retail. Sony is a much larger company and already had the PS1 and 2 backing them with a dedicated fanbase.

It's going to fail either way. They're trying to minimize the loss now and survive long enough until a couple generations go by. Then we will know if it was worth it.

7. Re: Alien Isolation Screenshots? Dec 13, 2013, 11:15 Mad Max RW

InBlack wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:15:
Well Im not rushing out to preorder it (I didnt with A:CM either) or anything. One other thing to consider. This isnt being done by Randy Pitchford. That can only be a plus right?

No, it's from the makers of Rome 2.

3. Re: Alien Isolation Screenshots? Dec 13, 2013, 09:59 Mad Max RW

At this early point the only excuse for being optimistic about Aliens, Sega, and Creative Assembly is pure ignorance. The leaked images are conveying the same kind of reaction as the early Colonial Marines images. We remember how that turned out, right?  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
11. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 08:13 Mad Max RW

You're paying extra to help make sure the game is finished. It's not like the money is going into their pockets. And they don't have a big publisher to handle expensive QA testing.

If you don't want to pay extra simply wait for the final game to come out and buy it then. It's crazy how this has to be explained over and over and over again for idiots. I doubt the complainers would bother with proper testing and submitting bug reports/suggestions anyway. Hell, barely 20% of the Torment backers took the time to vote in a fucking poll about combat.

News Comments > Terminal Reality Closed?
1. Re: Terminal Reality Closed? Dec 12, 2013, 21:51 Mad Max RW

Well that's a bummer. Terminal Velocity is one of my favorites. It was a shame they never got more recognition back then.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
82. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 20:39 Mad Max RW

Orogogus wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:28:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:16:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:13:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:12:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 18:03:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 17:49:
Health packs and multiple weapons to pick up encourages the player to explore every level. When you just give them everything they need a game quickly becomes a boring run to the finish line for the average person. It's not about "realism" and never was.

It's also not always about exploring and never was. For some games that works. For other games that does not.

Turning quotes around on people only works when I do it.

Also, what I said earlier is something every good level designer from the 1990s onward swears by. Pickups such as healthpacks and more weapons encourages non-linear exploration. Only someone who has no fucking clue about game design would try to argue this fact.

Not every game is about non-linear exploration. Variety is always a nice thing.

Where did I say every game is about non-linear exploration? Do you even know what that is or are you just trying to argue for no reason? Are you drunk?

I don't know, just in the quote tree above you seem to say that every good designer put in healthpacks and weapons to encourage non-linear exploration. -> Good level designers always encourage non-linear exploration. -> Non-linear exploration is always good. I don't think I'm twisting anything around, it doesn't seem hard to see where Beamer is coming from.

In any case, isn't Half Life an extremely linear game? I haven't played Call of Duty, so maybe it really is all corridor -> set piece battle -> corridor, but my recollection of Half Life is that there was generally only one way to go, unlike, say, DOOM or System Shock, where you could pretty easily get lost, especially if they hadn't had the minimaps. It wasn't an exploration game at all, and was full of set pieces like ambushes, boss monsters and helplessly watching people get gruesomely killed.

Ok I can understand the confusion then.

Half Life is packed with "non-linear exploration". Most of the areas in "On A Rail" exist only to find extra health and ammo, which you can skip over entirely. You can miss 75% of that section of the game if you stick to the main path.

Most modern games like the last dozen Call of Duties have nothing like that. The Shadow Warrior reboot did a good job in trying to go back in the right direction.

80. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 20:16 Mad Max RW

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:13:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 20:12:
Health packs and multiple weapons to pick up encourages the player to explore every level. When you just give them everything they need a game quickly becomes a boring run to the finish line for the average person. It's not about "realism" and never was.

It's also not always about exploring and never was. For some games that works. For other games that does not.

Also, what I said earlier is something every good level designer from the 1990s onward swears by. Pickups such as healthpacks and more weapons encourages non-linear exploration. Only someone who has no fucking clue about game design would try to argue this fact.

Not every game is about non-linear exploration. Variety is always a nice thing.

Where did I say every game is about non-linear exploration? Do you even know what that is or are you just trying to argue for no reason? Are you drunk?

78. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 20:12 Mad Max RW

75. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 17:49 Mad Max RW

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta Begins
18. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Begins Dec 12, 2013, 16:35 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 16:21:
Yeah, I fucking hate that betas are pre-sales tool now instead of actually about fixing bugs. If this thing is buggy as shit at release I'll be demanding a refund.

You are incorrect. In the last 2 weeks during the closed beta they released over a dozen patches. So yeah, they are fixing bugs.

What they should have done was limit beta testing to people who pledged over $100. Many are still too stupid to understand what beta means.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2013, 16:55.

15. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Begins Dec 12, 2013, 13:05 Mad Max RW

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 11:49:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 10:41:
The combat is entirely unlike Wasteland 1 and more like FOT's turnbased mode or more recently Shadowrun Returns and XCOM. You can't really compare it to the original game at all.

I hope you really like the combat in Wasteland 2, as it will be the combat mechanic for Torment:Numenera.

I know. I backed it as well and voted for turnbased.

13. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Begins Dec 12, 2013, 10:41 Mad Max RW

Shineyguy wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 10:04:
It's like Wasteland. It may be "like" Fallout Tactics in that you have a team, but like I said, that's like Wasteland. It's nice that you can be zoomed in, or you can pull the camera back all the way to an isometric view.

The combat is entirely unlike Wasteland 1 and more like FOT's turnbased mode or more recently Shadowrun Returns and XCOM. You can't really compare it to the original game at all.

Worldmap exploration and random encounters are very similar to Wasteland 1. Mountains block your movement. Radiation zones can kill. I don't remember having to keep track of water in the original, but it's a nice touch. If the final worldmap size is similar to Fallout it would be a dream come true.

Party control is similar to Wasteland 1. Everybody is an independent character with their own background story and stats to manage. I like the option to write your own biography for custom characters. During combat you control them one at a time much like FOT.

Some random thoughts and things to look for:

My first playthrough I killed every badguy I came across. With the right skills I managed to talk my way out of a couple major battles where previously a fight seemed inevitable.

Scrap is currency. After my first random encounter I didn't realize this and left a fortune behind.

The game seems to want to run in windowed mode because every time it launches I still have the Windows mouse cursor over the main menu. There's also somekinda mouselag or smoothing that feels really awkward.

Shadows are glitchy in certain places with random flickering. It's pretty much the only graphical issue I spotted.

Editing saved games is really damn easy. If you want to go back with maxed out stats and see how certain skills work it's simply a matter of editing an xml file with Notepad or whatever you prefer.

I noticed when I use a custom portrait, save the game, exit, and reload, my character's custom portrait vanished. Fixing it requires opening the saved game with Notepad and re-adding the correct portrait name.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2013, 10:50.

36. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 07:35 Mad Max RW

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 00:53:
Can you give me one example of a FPS game that's been "dumbed down" ?

I'll give several:

Duke Nukem Forever
AvP3
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Every single Call of Duty after the original.
Bioshock 1+2+3
Invisible War

(unless you think that last are role playing games, in any case they are still dumbed down)

News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Details?
5. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Details? Dec 11, 2013, 22:45 Mad Max RW

No more Ron Perlman narrating the intro? Yeah, that sounds impossible unless they really want this to not be considered a Fallout game.  

6. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Begins Dec 11, 2013, 22:42 Mad Max RW

Played a couple hours and so far they totally nailed it. Very hopeful for the final release version. The music is perfect.

I'm definitely getting a "smarter Fallout Tactics" vibe. Also, adding custom portraits couldn't be easier. So relieved.

News Comments > NSA's Game Spying
224. Re: NSA's Game Spying Dec 10, 2013, 17:00 Mad Max RW

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:50:

And besides, why do it so brutally when he can use XO's, many of which have been challenged and defeated by SCOTUS.

Every single one of Obama's executive orders were distractions that accomplished nothing while he went around and used bureaucracies such as the EPA to pass new regulations to get what he wanted anyway.

1732 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo