Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for charles smith

Real Name charles smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wolfen
Email wolfen@wolfenproductions.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2003, 02:58
Total Comments 658 (Apprentice)
User ID 15906

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Rubies of Eventide Goes Live
25. Re: One more Jun 2, 2003, 21:16 Wolfen

I think the most ive had at once was three. So I was paying around 45 bucks a month for online games. Insanity. I realized then, eh screw it, ill play one, MAYBE two at a time. But if I dont play one for more then 2 weeks, I just cancell, becuase most likely I wont go back for the next couple of months or so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: One more Jun 2, 2003, 16:11 Wolfen

=========
of the one hundred and fifteen MMORPGS out there.

Still, offering a free download that you can try is cool. It most definitely beats the "give us 50 bucks, then your credit card number, and then we'll let you play. If you can get on that is."

I might give this a shot, but Galaxies Beta is taking up quite some time (most of it spent in grumbling on their beta boards).

Creston
======

Dont think anyone said thats a bad thing. I like that formula as well. (Didnt a couple others offer a download trial as well?)

Id much rather download, play for a week or two, then decide if its worth getting the full retail version.

Sorta like how Neocron was a waste of my coin. Even if it was 20 bucks (that should of been my frist warning).

15. Re: hmm.. Jun 2, 2003, 15:15 Wolfen

=============
First off, I haven't even looked at the game yet, but might just be me but I find the comments about $15 a month a little unedumacated... You don't have to pay anything for the game. You can try for 10 days. If you like it then you pay just $15. Then you can play it for 40 days. If you still like it pay for one more month. Thats $30. Which I have to say is a hell of a lot cheaper than most MMORPG that come out where you have to buy it first for $50-$60 and then pay monthly.
=========

Rubies of Eventide Pricing for 2003
1 month - $14.95
$35.85 for 3 months ($11.95/m) Save 20% off our standard rate!!
$65.70 for 6 months ($10.95/m) Look, over 25% off!!
$119.40 for a year ($9.95/m)Best deal for almost 35% off at $9.95 a month!!

Straight off the site. Last I checked, a month is still about 30 days.

Also, according to the page (which could be not have been updated for this part) says its still beta. The free download is beta anyways, and doesnt offer the beta on cd anymore. I dont think this game has technically gone retail yet. Either they will stay in a perpetual beta (how honorable to admit the game is never done).

If they continue to say its free out of beta, then its a deal to not have to pay for an online game.

11. Re: hmm.. Jun 2, 2003, 14:41 Wolfen

=====
HAHAHAHA... $14.95.... thats cute.
=====

Thought you might like that.

4. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2003, 14:00 Wolfen

(Begin sarcasm) Ohh goody, I am way to excited to see the all the new complaints about bugs, and patching for this game to. (End sarcasm)

P.S. If you didnt notice, its 15 bucks a month to play. Maybe well here some more complaining about that one to. =P

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 14:02.

News Comments > MMO Patches
47. Re: 10+ years? Jun 1, 2003, 23:48 Wolfen

============
I think we may be on the verge of another game crash, as it did when the Atari 2600-era consoles had too many bad games flooding the market, except this time it will be for the PC. The exodus of developers from the PC platform has already begun. Only a few development houses survived that last round in '84. I'd like to hope that only the "good" game designers that make solid games will live through the next round.
============

I dont really feel there will be a crash. But who knows, could happen.

I definatly wouldnt say the game designers, I would change that to "Publishers" since they are the ones who usually push the products out. Developers generally want more time, lots of time to perfect.

News Comments > NWN: Shadows of Undrentide Gold
3. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 21:24 Wolfen

Thats a tough one. I liked NWN for its (or fair attempt of) true AD&D Rules, and the editing package, which was great.

Though Morrowwind has its own great style as well. The environments were unique, and the game is like a 100 times longer then NWN heh. Its editing tools are fairly great as well.

I like both, but I prefer NWN.

37. Re: Just some random comments May 30, 2003, 19:41 Wolfen

1) It is ridiculous that MMORPGs now get released with SHOWSTOPPER bugs in them. Not only do these people pay 50 bucks for the game, but they pay a MONTHLY fee in order to be able to play the damn thing. If a showstopper bug is in place for two of those months, you're out of 26 bucks for fucked up gameplay. At least with a non MMORPG game, your time after while you wait for a patch to fix the game is free. Not so in a MMORPG. MMORPG creators should be forced to refund monthly fees for every month that a showstopper is in place. (And yes, I'm well aware of the fact that most Eve players are still in their free time).
======
I only agree about the fact that the showstopper bugs should not be released with ANY game.

As far as refunding goes, whos to stop them from cancelling there account untill the problem is fixed? Whos to stop the person from taking the game back to the store for a swap or refund? Only the player (and some possible store polocies)
=====

3) A little offtopic, remember the discussion we had a few weeks ago on here and some of us wondered how many MMORPGs there are, or are in development? PCGamer has done an article on them, and there are currently ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN MMORPGs existing or in development. I think publishers need to stop sniffing so much glue, and realise that his isn't going to work.

====
I see lots of griping in our futures ; )
====

Btw, 5500 people playing during peak hours? So that's what, 10.000 subscribers? Something tells me that unless they get a whole lot more, this game / interactive screensaver is not going to last very long. Now that EA has been the first to just unceremoniously pull the plug on a MMORPG (Motor City Online), and haven't been getting their asses sued, I'm sure that more will follow.

======
I still think its a fun game hehe. If it gets cancelled owell. If not cool. I remember Anarchy Online didnt have a pretty good start at all, nor a good subscriber base, but I know for sure the game has definatly improved since its release, and its subscriber count went up. As for how much up I dont know. But it definatly was alot more stable, and alot more fun.
====

36. Re: Discount Gaming Therapy May 30, 2003, 19:34 Wolfen

Heh. Amen. I know, that no matter what I say. Some ones gonna keep complaining, find another excuse, or twist what I or anyone else says around.

To the one complaining about his baseball game. I never said consoles were perfect. I said they have a much higher standard and expectations before they are allowed to ship the game. Some can slip through the cracks.

31. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 17:14 Wolfen

"
During the beta, EVE had to be patched constantly since every patch would break almost as many things as it fixed.
"

haha. I could believe it.

Ive heard before that its common to have 3 bugs created by fixing just one. Guess it all depends on how good the programmers are to limit the impact of bugs created by fixing one.

On that note. Have a good weekend everyone!

29. Re: No word on what has changed? May 30, 2003, 16:56 Wolfen

====
I concur that Hardware problems will exist as 'new' hardware is constantly developed, but, gameplay issues should be addressed.
====

And as that document shows. They are being addressed. I dont want to get into the whole MMO thing again. But I have to say, mmog's theres just no possible way at this point to afford all the testing it takes to ensure perfection. Ill admit that getting stuck in a zone (if you will) is a bad thing, but it was unexpected obviously. There testers probably (and beta testers) never came across it. Server loads changed, connection types changed, situations changed. Its just going to happen.

If the testers or beta testers did come across it before retail release, and shipped with a bug such as that, then id have to say that wasnt a smart move at all.

But honestly. I just dont you can expect perfection in any shape or form from a game be it hardware, or software, or some form of server load or internect connection issue. Problems will always arise, and in a persistant world, those problems are more severe and generally a bit tougher to resolve.

26. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 16:11 Wolfen

Oh yeah, I totally miss space quest and the old curse of azure bond series. Quest for Glory was quite fun to. Man I miss those games. A shame I cant get them to run on all this new great hardware and os's I have these days right out of the box. ; )

24. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 16:03 Wolfen

"A character getting stuck in a game is HORRIBLE, wether it's UO,EQ or whatever. It has absoltuely gotten worse over the years, without a doubt. Saying things like "Other games have the same problem" is crazy."

Dont think thats a crazy statement. Im simply stating the truth. Now if they didnt even "try" to fix it thats another story.

And yup, bugs have gotten worse. Again, has to do with the huge broad base of different pc combinations developers have to support.

As for rushed. Well, thats a matter I have no credentials to speak about. Personally Id prefer to work on a game as long as it took to make it perfect, but we have deadlines from some one, and whom ever it is that makes those dead lines, im sure has a reason for them. Im guessing, to ensure that the game actually makes a profit, so that they dont spend overly huge amounts of money developing it for 10 years to see no return, and most likely just a loss on the price it costs to actually make the game.

23. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 15:52 Wolfen

======
Wolfen,

I used to play bug free PC games all the time back in the day. Games like Space Quest I,II and III. King's Quest series. Xwing, Tie fighter, TSR D&D Video Games amoung many others. Are they old? Yeah, they are, but they are still created the same exact way, difference being better graphics quality nowadays. PC Graphics boards add a little complexity but they have been out for years now. It's simply called over aggresive scheduling and horrible QA testing. A character getting stuck in a game is HORRIBLE, wether it's UO,EQ or whatever. It has absoltuely gotten worse over the years, without a doubt. Saying things like "Other games have the same problem" is crazy. 'If' people simply didn't buy buggy games, buggy games would not be released. The Publishers would realize that and allow for a true software cycle and not jip on the QA timeline. It's our (game fans) fault that games are continuely released buggy.
===========

Mind you much less complexity in design software wise, and hardware wise. The hardware now compared to then is much broader.

Pretty much back then, it was simple 2d ega vga graphics, and a sound blaster, or midisynths of some sort.

Now youve got about 20-40 different generations of sound cards and video cards, not to mention motherboards, and cpus.

Edit: Not to mention when talking with mmog's an online persistant world with massive game balancing between the hopefull thousands of players, and internect connections.

This comment was edited on May 30, 15:54.

20. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 15:14 Wolfen

Let the good times roll.

18. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 15:07 Wolfen

====
Hurray for progress then huh? Same shit, different game.
====

Haha. Nice. Its pretty rare when any game; mmog or not doesnt actually need a patch. They pretty much always seem to need patching on PC's.

By comparison, when you do a console game (becuae I know some one would bring up a console game as not needing patches 95% of the time) it goes through in house beta testing, then not only that it goes through publisher x2, the publisher and sony, or the publisher and microsoft and so on. Sony has an incredible incredible test team.

PC's on the other hand. They just dont go through that much of a rigurous test. Couple of reasons I can think of off hand is, console is a larger market, meaning more money is made, meaning its not to hard to have so many testers all over the place. PC games make no where near as much.

Then we all know the classic, for consoles, everyone develops for only one specific types of hardware. PC's, you got a ton of different hardwares.

Its just something I personally think we wont be able to get rid of for a very long time. If you want bug free games, stop playing pc games and go buy a console. Just as nice graphics in general, get to sit on your couch with your friends and play, and you pretty much can rest assured, there is a very very remote chance, that game will have any bugs.

Now, were bringing mmog's into consoles. Im sure bugs are finally gonna start becoming commen to that part of the console genre.

We will see I suppose.

Edit: Not to mention, they know for a fact a patch is gonna be near impossible for a console, they gotta get right in the first place. The standards for a console game are much much higher.

This comment was edited on May 30, 15:10.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 14:49 Wolfen

Not all the USA thinks the same as its leaders. Not all of us our businessmen.

15. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 14:44 Wolfen

=========
Well, luckily you don't have this problem then I guess

http://board.eve-online.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30328
=========

I can easily say that eve is not the only game that has had a similiar problem to that.

20. Re: No subject May 30, 2003, 12:02 Wolfen

==== http://video.kavkazcenter.com/fight_in_chechnya/podryvy10.wmv
====

Holy macaroni. Was that american troops? Where was that? That was crazy.

17. Well now... May 30, 2003, 11:34 Wolfen

Now weve gone and done it. Weve become so shallow as humans, that now its just the way it is, the most handsome men on the world have the best sperm. Ever hear about that fear of, the whole world is going to turn beutifull but then just become completely stupid? (Sort of like my spelling)

658 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo