Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for charles smith

Real Name charles smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wolfen
Email wolfen@wolfenproductions.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2003, 02:58
Total Comments 659 (Apprentice)
User ID 15906

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2009, 11:18 Wolfen

Wow! Pulled off UGO huh? They are all over the place to.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mac Warhammer Online Released
2. Re: Mac Warhammer Online Released Oct 28, 2009, 16:02 Wolfen

Honestly I was surprised they bothered porting the game to mac at all.  

News Comments > Zenimax Eyeing Valve?
10. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 12:17 Wolfen

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  

News Comments > "Assassin" Trademarked
14. Re: Oct 25, 2009, 21:09 Wolfen

Strike while it's hot and let's show Ubisoft. Someone needs to develop "Ass Ass In" pronto!

Hah! Are you suggesting a pr0n?

12. Re: Oct 25, 2009, 17:09 Wolfen

No they can't. Read that blurb more carefully.

Drr. Yeah. If they go for that lock on the trademark then yes. It all depends obviously how the trademark is classified in the end. Either way, its silly to think of trademarking as such a horrid thing.

Look at it this way. You start a game company. Make a game called "Lactating Titty Wipers" and its a huge phenomenal success. Next thing you see is an iTunes App store filled with "Lactating Titty Wipers" games. None of which are yours and none of which are any good. So now your getting a bad name for your game, people are now cashing in on your games name as well. Overall its hurting your business. That's what these trademarks really help with that I have personally seen. And of course there is probably much more to it beyond that. And of course trademarking doesn't ensure the product will be successful lol.

They cant stop some one from using "Born To Kill: Assassin" or using the word Assassin in a game.

In fact Kxmodes post makes a ton of sense. Its a really good example. Assassin may fall into that category of being far to common.

Edit: We posted same time hehe. So yeah, im not sure where I stand on trademarking with or with out product.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2009, 17:14.

6. Re: Oct 25, 2009, 15:27 Wolfen

Its not that they own the word. Its more like they own the word for a specific field. In this case they get to use it for Entertainment services namely providing an online computer game for others over global and local area networks.

So anyone making an MMO or Multiplayer game in general cant use "Assassin". Movies can still use it, single player games can still use it, television shows can still use it. You can still say it. =)

Dont forget that also trademarks and copyrights do have expirations. So its more like leasing or renting the rights to a word, number or symbol.

Also heres an interesting bit. Im guessing this will apply to this word.

"Is it possible to federally register a mark made up of common or ordinary words?

Yes, if the combination of the words is distinctive. But even if the entire mark is judged to lack sufficient distinctiveness, it can be placed on a list called the supplemental register whereas marks that are considered distinctive (either inherently or because they have become well known) are placed on a list called the principal register. Marks on the supplemental register receive far less protection than do those on the principal register. The benefits granted by each type of registration are discussed in more detail in the next question."
Src: http://www.inc.com/articles/1999/10/14646.html

Ahh yes, and the lease (as i like to call it now heh) is for 10 years. =)

Oh yeah, and yes Velvet Assassin would be safe. Its two words and its distinctive which they most definitely already trademarked / copyrighted.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2009, 15:32.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls V Hint
5. Re: Elder Scrolls V Hint Oct 25, 2009, 15:16 Wolfen

This really shouldnt be a surprise to any of us. Remember the fuss over one guy saying there is no ES in the future and then they came back and said that the statement was pretty much mistaken in meaning and confirmed that eventually they would have another ES?

Anyhow, either way the ES games and FO3 were all pretty good in scope / scale. I spent countless hours in Oblivion and even though I had bought Shivering Isles I didnt play it. I had my fill at that point haha.

Im going to bet they continue to use the same engine but improve upon it just as they did with Fallout 3. The engine isnt bad.

News Comments > Cancelled SimCASTLE and SimMARS Revealed
3. Re: Cancelled SimCASTLE and SimMARS Revealed Oct 13, 2009, 11:20 Wolfen

Awww.. I would think a Sim Mars would be good.  

News Comments > HISTORY Great Battles Medieval Early Release
2. Re: HISTORY Great Battles Medieval Early Oct 10, 2009, 16:21 Wolfen

I think because its actually just the "History" channel they are naming them like the shows. =)  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 9, 2009, 05:45 Wolfen

Eh. Im in the middle on the film. I think the original was better minus the cooler special effects.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 8, 2009, 22:32 Wolfen

Does anyone remember the horrible new time machine movie? Did they totally predict the future?  

News Comments > Audiosurf Patched, New Site, On Sale
4. Re: Audiosurf Patched, New Site, On Sale Oct 1, 2009, 18:46 Wolfen

It makes tracks and places those colored things to the music. Every song is pretty much its own level for the game. The ship in the middle is you obviously and you (depending on the difficulty level and game mode you selected) attempt to dodge or collect the colored blocks.

As long as new music is made, you will always have new tracks to play. Its actually quite fun for a while at first and I though I dont play it as often it is quite easy to go play again and kill a good couple of hours.

News Comments > Jack Thomson Sues Facebook
12. Re: Jack Thomson Sues Facebook Oct 1, 2009, 15:00 Wolfen

Boy, you would of thought this guy got the idea the first time around.  

News Comments > MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors
2. Re: MS Denies EA Buyout Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 10:52 Wolfen

Didnt they also deny the Yahoo rumors when they first came out?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2009, 12:27 Wolfen

Hah, transforminators was funny. =D  

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Sells Well
9. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Well Sep 21, 2009, 13:34 Wolfen

Yeah this game is pretty sick. I think my only real complaint are the boss fights. They get repetitive. The Eve one really pisses me off. I thought I was done. But nope. Here lets do it aaaaaallll over again, but this time were going to throw in a bunch of henchmen. The first time was hard enough for me with them. Ugh. I suck at playing console style games though, so I typically know that what ever is hard for me, is normal for others haha.  

News Comments > Jedi Knight Games Rereleased
27. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 20:55 Wolfen

Yeah. Im on Vista 64 and using the shortcuts provided by steam / install everything works fine for what its worth. Dark Force 2 is just weird though because you cut to windowed mode for the menus and the videos.  

News Comments > Jedi Knight Games Rereleased
8. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 17:20 Wolfen

Actually it seems to perform better in windowed mode lol. I of course immidiatly grabbed this pack. So far so good. If you have issues there are some initial release notes if you go to each games forum (look on the games page in the store and look at the bottom for the forum link). Nothing horrible though. Seems they made sure these would work for most everyone and they point out things they obviously must have seen as very common under tests.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 31, 2009, 15:11 Wolfen

Personally. And this is just me speaking. Not like anyone cares. =P

But I think used game sales are fine. But if the developers want to have a better shot at at least "lowering" the sale of used games they should consider dropping there prices all together. It seems to me that Steam alone has proven quite successful in selling and even at times outselling there own games when they go on these crazy weekend blow out deals.

But, im no business man so what the hell do I know?

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances
13. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 18, 2009, 02:56 Wolfen

Ugh thats to looooong.  

659 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo