Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for charles smith

Real Name charles smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wolfen
Email wolfen@wolfenproductions.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2003, 02:58
Total Comments 658 (Apprentice)
User ID 15906

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Just Cause 2
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Just Cause 2 Mar 23, 2010, 21:16 Wolfen

Im enjoying the game. Glad I pre-ordered. Saved a few bucks to. Itll be half off in a couple months probably haha.

If your looking for "were trying to be kind of corny" over the top action in a gigantic open world, this is the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Weekly Top 10
2. Re: Steam Weekly Top 10 Mar 22, 2010, 01:27 Wolfen

Huh. No JC 2 eh? Maybe this is released only games.  

News Comments > Steamworks Microtransactions Planned
16. Re: Steamworks Microtransactions Planned Mar 21, 2010, 16:16 Wolfen

Pankin wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 15:25:
ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 15:00:
Unless you want to be competitive. Your argument was just destroyed. Period. Goodbye.

Sorry ledhead, but my argument stands.

If you want to be competitive, then you must therefore want to make a purchase.

If being competitive is not something you're interested in, then making a purchase is similarly uninteresting to you.

This is all assuming that they are, in fact, making competitive items exclusively for purchase. This would, admittedly, be unfair. I don't mean to spoil the surprise or anything but...life is not fair.

So, in short, lick me.

Wait? When did life become unfair? /s

9. Re: Steamworks Microtransactions Planned Mar 21, 2010, 14:19 Wolfen

spindoctor wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 14:16:
Can someone explain to me how this is different from the existing DLC support?

It can now all be done with out leaving the game. At least, thats what the brochure says.

6. Re: Steamworks Microtransactions Planned Mar 21, 2010, 14:11 Wolfen

NKD wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 14:08:
I demand developers stop creating games and content that I don't want. They must now only make things that I feel are a wise purchase. I hate feeling like I'm missing out because my friends have content that I don't want.

As long as it makes them money, they will keep doing it lol.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2010, 14:07 Wolfen

If that is true... then that is just brilliant. LOL  

3. Re: Steamworks Microtransactions Planned Mar 21, 2010, 14:06 Wolfen

DAMN YOU VALVE!!! I already buy games I dont need because of your sales. Now im gonna have instant access to Microtransactions???!?! Im gonna be broke now. I hate being an impulse buyer. (no pun intended)  

News Comments > Ubisoft Games off UK Steam, DRM Blameless
4. Re: Ubisoft Games off UK Steam, DRM Blameless Mar 20, 2010, 03:04 Wolfen

It does irk me that Valve allows other games to use there own DRM ontop of steams. Thats just lame.  

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Patched
9. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 19, 2010, 19:44 Wolfen

Rigs wrote on Mar 19, 2010, 19:25:
So, how does it rate? My list: (in order...kinda)

Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
Mercenaries 2
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Saints Row 2
Just Cause

I had to download the JC2 demo 3 friggin' times as the first two ended up being corrupt. You'd think that by 2010 they could have found a way to check the integrity of a file before you hit the Download button...
JC2 is good but I'm still fond of GTA4 and Mercs2, even though the latter could seriously be awarded 'Best of Show' in BugFest '09...Far Cry 2 still stands only because it's so easy to get into...and out of...at least on my system...

=-Rigs-=

Not a bad list there. Id almost say id agree with your order here minus Mercs 2 and JC 2 since I never played it. But seeing your list inspires me to believe this could be a cool game.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Patched
4. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 19, 2010, 17:39 Wolfen

So you guys dig the demo huh? I didnt bother getting it. I thought the first game was ok, but the second looks pretty interesting, and improved. So far it appears as if it has made improvements hehe.

Ive been aching for a new good sandbox game thats not GTA.

News Comments > EA on C&C4's "No" DRM
47. Re: You're still a hypocrite. Mar 19, 2010, 00:56 Wolfen

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 19, 2010, 00:47:
Prez wrote on Mar 19, 2010, 00:33:
Steam is not the same as Ubsioft's and now EA's new fandangled DRM.
I don't dispute that. In some ways it is a little better (offline mode), and in some ways it is much worse (universal kill switch).

If my internet connection goes down, I do not get booted out of the game with Steam.
No, but you won't be able to launch another game when you exit the current one if Steam refuses to enter offline mode which it does due to various restrictions.

I can select "Start up in Offline mode" in the Settings and never have to connect to a Steam server to play any of my singleplayer games.
Saying "never" is very misleading as the limits and bugginess of offline mode make its permanence very unlikely.

If Valve goes out of business today, I'm not locked out of any of my Singleplayer games on Steam.
You will be locked out if you ever want to install them on another PC, or on the same PC after a fresh installation of the OS, or if your last login to Steam failed to save the information, or if you want to use another Steam account, etc.

Yes, if you successfully entered offline mode the last time you used Steam and you never change your OS or your Steam files don't change, then you should still be able to play your Steam games offline assuming that the Steam client doesn't screwup as it has historically with offline mode for many people due to bugs. But, that is still pretty restrictive DRM.

I am not denying Steam is DRM; but it is far less obtrusive than the BS Ubisoft and EA are using.
It is more intrusive because at least EA and Ubisoft's DRM only affect games individually. With Steam's DRM, a single failure affects all of your games not just one.

Since half life 2, i have bought roughly 120 games through Steam. In that time span. I have not yet once experienced an issue with not being able to access my game due to Steam being offline, or vanished.

The only problem i had that i can recall of was a recent cdkey not working, which was fixed eventually (steam support can take forever sometimes).

But thats my own personal experience. Im sure others may have some horror stories. I didnt even have trouble with the HL2 release, and that was merely just them getting overloaded with an expected demand, or improper preparation.

45. Re: EA on C&C4's "No" DRM Mar 19, 2010, 00:44 Wolfen

Ya know? One thing about the blues news threads, everyone always seems way to hostile. Makes for some fun reading sometimes though.

33. Re: EA on C&C4's Mar 18, 2010, 20:00 Wolfen

Tom wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 19:34:
Someone looking at review scores should always look at not just the critics, but what the people have to say. Metacritic does a good job here. Assassin's Creed II for the PC has a critic rating of 82 there, but the user score is 2.3 out of 10 with 255 votes. Should be a red flag for anyone thinking of buying this game.

Yeah, this is what I have been doing for a year or so now. Typically the user reviews on there so much more informative in terms of technical issues and drms the games have, and sometimes a more realistic view of the gameplay its self. But yeah. The user feedback there is much better and I always ignore the main critic scores lol. I even was thinking some one should request that we can see those scores in Steam. (User scores that is)

23. Re: You actually love the message just not who is saying it. Mar 18, 2010, 18:35 Wolfen

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 18:20:
Says a guy who uses Steam. Steam also does everyone of these things, and yet you loved HL2 and Valve's other games which use Steam from your posts on this forum. What you really mean, hypocrite, is that you will only bend over and take it from Valve and not EA.

EA is just taking a page from Valve's playbook as most of its fanboys don't realize or admit that Steam uses DRM either.

Wrooooooong. You CAN play your games in Steam with out being online. Its called offline mode. And you dont loose save games. I think at worst, you just dont get "online" features, such as achievments tracked, and multiplayer.

However, there is a form of DRM that Steam uses. BUT, it doesnt suck and its non intrusive to the end user. At least in my experience. The only time Ive had trouble with DRM is when its things like this that absolutely require a connection to the net to play. (and i mean single player so no more goofballs try to compare that to a MMO)

4. Re: EA on C&C4's "No" DRM Mar 18, 2010, 17:00 Wolfen

No doubt. Thats still forcing us to perpetually identify ourselves with risk of loosing ability to play my game, and if i can play, it will be an impaired version (assuming there is a possible offline mode, such as your save games vanish in a lot of Live games using this method).

EA.... Thats DRM. So you shouldn't say zip zero zilch. Except when referencing the value of your stock when every one of your customers gets sick of the DRM dance.

News Comments > Ensemble "Crunch Culture" Follow-Up
1. Re: Ensemble "Crunch Culture" Follow-Up Mar 18, 2010, 14:25 Wolfen

Interesting. This made me think of an episode of "Oz", where the scene break narrator always had neat things to say. One of those was how he liked to flip through all the news channels. Not to find all the news he could, but because every one was lying, but each lie was based on a bit of truth. So if saw enough of the news stories, he could piece together the truth.

So, im looking forward to piecing together the truth on this one lol.

News Comments > NVIDIA's 3D Push
13. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 13:27 Wolfen

Ive tried stereo 3d from edimensional in the past, and ive recently been messing around with nvidias free implementation of anaglyph.

eDimensional's stuff was pretty fun back in the day. I remember playing tons of games in 3d and it was really hard to let it go.

Currently nvidia has added anaglyph capabilities to its drivers so you can get basically a free 3d experience. But as a previous commenter mentioned, the colors get wonky. Like in borderlands, all the green turns orange. Thats to be expected though with such old tech, but it is quite fun to mess around with. A couple of games that looked really good in anaglyph minus the color issues was Dead Space, Trials 2, and Trine. Sexy sexy. Its neat to see what looks like a little diorama in your computer monitor hehe.

Personally Id like to see the 3d continue forward so the technology advances and one day we wont need glasses at a reasonable price.

News Comments > Safety Dance
1. Re: Safety Dance Mar 12, 2010, 12:15 Wolfen

Thanks citibank. You always like to find ways to screw us humans over you evil alien dark spawn.  

News Comments > On Infinity Ward Royalties
10. Re: On Infinity Ward Royalties Mar 12, 2010, 12:11 Wolfen

Beamer wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 11:38:
What's more important to note is that bonuses tend to always be paid at the same time of year, regardless of when the product comes out. As many professionals said when this first happened, there's likely nothing weird about the bonus not yet being paid, it's just waiting for end-of-year, or whenever the bonus time happens to be. And, in most companies, if you leave before then you forfeit your bonus.

Standard in all industries.

Thats pretty much how EA ran it when I worked for them.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Paid DLC Next Month
2. Re: Mass Effect 2 Paid DLC Next Month Mar 11, 2010, 20:49 Wolfen

It better only be like 2 bucks. Hour and a half isnt really much.  

658 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo