Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for kyleb

Real Name kyleb   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 22, 2003, 21:07
Total Comments 465 (Amateur)
User ID 15902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 17:57 kyleb

Jivaro wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 14:26:
Had MS not dumped original XBOX users basically overnight from Live... and included a Blu-Ray maybe I would have bought one.
Live support for the original Xbox lasted over 4 years after the 360 launch, and Sony didn't even have their first Blu-ray player out until over half a year after the 360 launched.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GeForce GTX TITAN Announced
67. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 20, 2013, 05:47 kyleb

Many games don't require a particularly fast CPU to keep up with a 60hz or even a 120hz refresh rate, they just need a lot of GPU power to do so at very high resolutions with lots of anti-aliasing.  

57. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 17:22 kyleb

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:25:
kyleb wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:23:
For the record, Nvidia'a Scalable Link Interface is vastly different than 3dfx's Scan-Line Interleave.

Now remind me who bought 3dfx?
The first link I posted answers that question.

53. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 16:23 kyleb

For the record, Nvidia's Scalable Link Interface is vastly different than 3dfx's Scan-Line Interleave.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 17:20.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans
7. Re: Far Cry 3 New Feature Plans Feb 18, 2013, 23:40 kyleb

The description actually just suggests the various enemies types will do more damage and/or have more heath:
Single Player: MASTER - A New Difficulty Setting

For those that have already completed the game on Adventurer, Survivor or Warrior settings and are looking for the next bill challenge, the all-new MASTER difficulty setting will be added in an upcoming patch of the game. Seasoned veterans will find themselves challenged by more aggressive wildlife, tougher pirates, and more deadly privateers. Your skills as a master of the Rook Islands will be tested.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 17, 2013, 01:00 kyleb

I've never played Bayonetta, but from what I've seen the PS3 version is rather rough, while the game runs much better on the 360:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 16, 2013, 20:32 kyleb

Nvidia apparently won't have their next generation of hardware out until next year either.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 16, 2013, 15:11 kyleb

Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:48:
Sony has invested money in the team all along.
Sony actually owns Team Ico. Anyway, the last PlayStation exclusive I recall Sony porting to PC is Twisted Metal 2.

News Comments > New Wolfenstein Game?
40. Re: New Wolfenstein Game? Feb 10, 2013, 17:01 kyleb

Mouse scroll doesn't really replace the ability to instantly switch to the desired weapon, nor does the 360 dpad reliably for more than 4 weapons, and opening a menu breaks immersion. That discourages making games were you can swap between more than a few weapons at a time, let alone having a bunch of skills, items, abilities, and menus instantly available across dozens of keys.  

36. Re: New Wolfenstein Game? Feb 10, 2013, 11:42 kyleb

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 11:02:
In some ways, it almost felt like they pushed out a quickie Wolfenstein game with the Singularity engine while they finished working on the latter.
Odd, as their Wolf is based on id Tech 4, while Singularity is UE3.

News Comments > RAGE Tool Kit
62. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 03:05 kyleb

See here for example's sake.  

15. Re: New Wolfenstein Game? Feb 9, 2013, 20:30 kyleb

Ratty wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:09:
Really loved the first one done by Raven.
Raven only did the most recent Wolf game. The previous one was made my Gray Matter, who previously made Kingpin, Quake II: The Reckoning, and the Redneck Rampage and Cyberia games under the name Xatrix, and later merged with Treyarch.

60. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 19:48 kyleb

I wasn't suggesting anyone will retexture the base game. That would be an absurdly large project, and significantly improving the texture quality would require more like a 40-80 GB download. However, some people are bound to make custom maps for the game simply because it's the only one that offers moders the opportunity to work free from the confines of traditional texturing, and while say 4-8 GB is huge for a single map, it's not terribly hard to get a file of such size hosted these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2013, 20:23.

57. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:54 kyleb

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:12:
We know, you're playing catch up with the thread here
No, that's not the issue, I've been reading the thread as it's been going.

Fion wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:13:
The texturing technique relies even more heavily on available memory than traditional texturing, and with consoles that resource is thin at best.
Nah, actually with virtual texturing avalable memory only limits how well the can textures look in the distance, as can be seen in the screenshots here. Making the textures looks notably better up close simply requires more significantly more disk space, and the game is already pushing reasonable limits on that as is. That said, with the toolkit released I'm sure some people will make maps with amazing up close texture detail, but even on a small map such texturing will require multiple gigs of data.

49. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:01 kyleb

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 14:23:
I don't really care, if it was promised or otherwise I think the game could have certainly used it.
The thing is, the game can't rightly use a high res texture pack like has been done for other games, because Rage doesn't use the traditional texturing methods those games do. So it's rather absurd to get upset about what was never reasonably possible, let alone ever actually promised.

45. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:19 kyleb

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 00:49:
He didn't say the words I promise but its in reference to a prerelease interview where they were getting close to release and Carmack mentioned that the PC version would be getting better textures after release.

Yeah, again, I'm pretty sure you're just referring to lame attempts at journalism like this one, which misinterprets what Carmack actually said.

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 00:49:
This lead to him later making a twitter post talking about how they were trying to do some sort of upsampling/detail pass for some of the blurrier ones.
They did that in the 1.2 patch.

18. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 00:39 kyleb

Dev wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:13:
I just googled for info on that promised high res texture pack...
Did you actually find any such promise? I recall people misinterpreting a comment from Carmack to suggest as much shortly after the game came out, but I'm pretty sure no one at id ever actually promised a high res texture pack.

News Comments > Skyrim HD Pack Updated
14. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 12:46 kyleb

Any developer worth their salt knows texture resolution wasn't the issue with Crysis.  

News Comments > Skyrim HD Pack Updated
9. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 05:46 kyleb

And since you do actually need quite a beefy rig to be able to run the game well with this texture pack, if you include it from the start, the people with lesser rigs will get shitty performance.
No, people with lesser rigs just have to use a lower texture quality setting so lower resolution mipmaps are used, like has been done in PC games for well over a decade now. Also, they obviously had the textures in the HD pack before the game released, as the textures in the base game are just downsampled versions of the ones in the HD texture pack.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image?
21. Re: CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image? Feb 1, 2013, 18:19 kyleb

ItBurn wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 16:49:
You are wrong. This is at max details.
No, max details would have detail textures option from the 1.2 patch enabled, the effects of which can be seen in these mouseover examples. Granted, I don't really care for the effect myself, but that is max details. Also, as long as you have a clean running computer and keep the settings in line with your hardware's capabilities, you won't get any notable pop-in.

That said, while the skies in Rage are very pretty in screenshots they are utterly lifeless static skyboxes, while that REDengine3 shot is is almost surely using a fully dynamic sky as that's what CD Project has always done.

465 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo