Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Marek Alliksoo

Real Name Marek Alliksoo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Raptor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2003, 16:59
Total Comments 228 (Novice)
User ID 15716

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > F1 2014 & 2015 Announced
12. Re: F1 2014 & 2015 Announced Jul 31, 2014, 15:09 Raptor

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 11:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:32:
Raptor wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:26:

Now it seems to be more about the "flash" and less about substance.

You just summed up every game by Codemasters, ever

Nah, the Colin McRae series was really cool, and they've had other ones. Their F1 used to be pretty good, though I haven't played them in a while.

I remember CMR2 being tons of fun and I still should have it installed actually. (their last good game?)
All the other CMR games after that I thought have not been very good at all.

And yah, as Theglaze wrote then the scale value tuning needs to go.
You set either mm or nm or whatever actual measurable value but not 1-10 or 1-11 or some random scale thinking it's going to make your game sell more. It might be easier to understand at first, but when you're adjusting your front wing then you need to have some kind of a link to reality to advance somewhere and actually have some ties to the real world.

I'm pretty sure the speed on my car for example is also from 1 to 11 - what's 9 in kph?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F1 2014 & 2015 Announced
2. Re: F1 2014 & 2015 Announced Jul 31, 2014, 10:26 Raptor

I hope they bring back a bit more depth to this one and less arcade handholding.

The last one I stopped playing midway through the awfully long "tutorial" sequence.
Customisation was also greatly simplified.
I still hold F1 2001 at the peak of the F1 games since to get good at it I actually had to read one of Ayrton Senna's books where he explains in detail about setting up the cars.

Now it seems to be more about the "flash" and less about substance.

News Comments > New Deus Ex Details?
29. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 18, 2014, 04:05 Raptor

Squirmer wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 22:56:
I think the output of the games industry kinda sucked for a few years through the 2000s, but things are really interesting nowadays thanks to digital distribution and smaller teams. There have always been interesting games along the way so there's always been something worth playing though.

Anyway, point is the original Deus Ex was a better game, so it makes sense to consider why and apply that knowledge to Eidos's next game/s. Hopefully avoiding a travesty like Thi4f in the process (diff teams I know).

E.g. level design. Anyone paying attention would have noticed a difference between the docks map in HR and every other map in HR. The docks map was the most DX-like of all of them, and was way better for it. If they're smart enough to realize that, maybe we'll get some better level design next time.

Ahh, but that's where the technology or "consolitis" as they call it comes in.

DxHR was heavily influenced by the console.
Level design was small and the AI was stuck in "their zones" (just get someone to follow you and see how far they come)

They did try to work around it by compressing things down to still give you those paths or options, but to me it felt like getting a small playground with 3 quite clearly visible toys to play with in every area and having to make a choice between them.

There were tons of other limitations as well and till they get over trying to make the games for consoles (or hopefully the new ones offer more power than my phone) we will never have a true Deus ex game (look at Dx2 - made for consoles = small levels and an IQ drop of a 100)

Then of course the other problem which I fear every time a game gets made for platforms which... say a younger target base.
Simplification and handholding.

They took the things Dx offered and thought "hey, how can we compress things" and then thought "hey, how can we make things very cool with minimal effort required from the player" and of course someone also thought that bossfights would be awesome...

Through answering those questions they ended up with what DxHR had. (and I'm leaving out the gold filter and highlighting here)
Yah we still got hacking, a lot of it actually since they took away so many other things to do that hacking and searching drawers needed to compensate.
Yah we still got our augs, but a lot of them were designed to make the game even easier (or more metal gear solid like) and we lost the skill system to "optimisation".
They pretty much removed emergent gameplay since the choice of tools was so much smaller with rules too clearly defined and restricted by the platform.

And of course finally we also have the writing - one side on the streets just hating the augs for some reason and another side who doesn't...
E-mails were 99% of the time a bore to read, there were probably a few french in-jokes I didn't get and there were references to characters from Dx1 which belongs to the 1% along with some other good E-mails.
The overall story/plot on the other hand... (kinda worked the best when they took/implemented things from Dx1)

The story didn't fit in the Dx universe, it was a prequel, but was more futuristic. I'd like to think of it rather as an alternative universe where some whiny bastard got augmented and didn't ask for it.

So while it still appealed to the 10 year olds in all of us who thought that the takedowns were cool and there was spy shit and hacking and you could explore and talk and do all of those things then in the end to me it lacked the Dx soul & atmosphere - the deep and complex story, the deep and complex gameplay and the proper deus ex universe.

DxHR was a good game, but not by Dx standards, had it been named differently I would have said "hey nice game, has some nice Dx feel to it".
But name it Deus Ex and put in all your anime, MGS, consolitis shit and you get rated by Deus Ex standards.

So get pver trying to make a game for everyone and we might have a deal for the next game, but I think it would also need a different developer, these ones don't get it and Thi4f showed the mentality quite well. Dx is not for the masses.

(and yeah, get off my nostalgia lawn ffs, gonna replay dx1 now)

News Comments > Project CARS E3 Trailer
13. Re: Project CARS E3 Trailer Jun 12, 2014, 06:55 Raptor

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:27:
Ok this look so good it's just effing ridiculous at this point. I hope it plays well with a gamepad because I'm sure as shit not buying a wheel and pedals. Effing amazing trailer! Effing effers!

Good luck playing Richard Burns Rally with a gamepad.

Get wheel and pedals, they don't cost that much and the experience is far superior to sitting on a couch with a gamepad and a fake joystick.

If you want a proper sim you need the tools for it. Otherwise it's best to stick to arcade racers.

News Comments > Witcher Adventure Game Revealed; Witcher 3 in February 2015
12. Re: Witcher Adventure Game Revealed; Witcher 3 in February 2015 Jun 6, 2014, 03:53 Raptor

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 20:46:
Just give me a link I can throw my money at!
(This will actually be a retail order for me, I want all that cool extra stuff in physical form)

Yea, this gives me plenty of time to finish the first 2!@ hahahahah

I also need to re-read the books....They are just sitting on my night stand collecting dust...

Yah definitely get the boxed version!
I love the stuff which came with W2 (map, coin, soundtrack etc)
Need to start upgrading the PC for this one though.

Also - that trailer is insanely awesome.
Can't wait to actually make decisions which affect the game world and story (looking at you Skyrim)

Also what was that other game that recently released a trailer about some inquisition or something?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
8. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 10:22 Raptor

CrimsonPaw wrote on May 23, 2014, 10:10:
<hate>Ugh, this game is going to be the worst because the PC wasn't the lead platform. Sucks that it's coming to consoles and that they probably had to dumb it down.</hate>

Looking forward to playing this on PS4 but wanted to get the inevitable console hate started for everyone.

Well it's true anyways.

[fact]No matter how good a game is when done for the console - would have been tons better if done for a P/fact]

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 13, 2014, 11:23 Raptor

Oi, dat Thief review is Taffin' great and hilarious!

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
27. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Mar 7, 2014, 03:35 Raptor

Poor man's "The Witcher" eh.
They used to be trend setters not follow-up people...

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
113. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2014, 07:47 Raptor

I like seeing cocky, shady and unlikeable people fail and it seems that with this one this holds true.

If a developer is humble and actually shows the willingness to learn or to honor the IP then the reception probably wouldn't be as negative.
However if you grab an IP which already sets some expectations and if you then just want to use the name for some easy money you deserve to fail.

I have no sympathy for these guys and if it really is as bad as the reviews seem to suggest so far then good job.

It's already hard as it is to remain neutral about games you haven't played yet, so sure - maybe it received a bit too much hate about the no-jump stuff and details like that, but if it really has all the classical console issues and at the same time sucks at being a Thief game as well then hopefully it serves as a good example to future profiteers on how not to milk an IP.

DxHR pulled it off mostly through all expectations because it still had enough Dx feel to it and for some reason the "coolness" factor seemed to have outweighed the idiot/shallow writing and lacking/oversimplified gameplay mechanics. (I'm also having a hard time forgetting all of the anime/MGS references)

I'd still like to play this new Thief at some point to see how it is, but for me there are enough signs out there already telling me it's poor attempt.
If you don't want to make a proper Thief game, then don't use the name.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
30. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 11:47 Raptor

This is going to get awesome soon.

I read those quotes as well and thought it was a "theonion" style parody bit, but then I remembered actually having read some of them and the darkness set in...

Now let's say.. that it is actually going to be good for some reason.
What does that say about humanity?
It would only mean that while we know what's right and what's wrong on paper, however we have become so jaded by braindead commercial shit and completely unable to differentiate an actually good game from a bad one due to being drawn in by all the bells and whistles like a 8 year old ipad gamer.
Or that devs wanted to make a mass market console game and were so incompetent at it that they actually created something good? (DxHR sort of did that actually, since the devs sounded like morons and it turned out playable)

Either way it would be just easier if it sucked big time like all the talk seems to indicate so that moral and ethics don't come into question.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 5, 2014, 06:02 Raptor

DrEvil wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 23:47:
Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:25:
That ain't gonna' make a difference. I'd love one of these, but for a grand? LOL!

I'm actually going to have to get a tablet/kb in the next couple of months for work so is there anything good - Android or Windows - in the $500 or less category?

Actually, for ~$1K, they're a phenomenal portable drawing tablet. The next closest thing are Windows 8 tablets from Wacom which are over twice the price or the MacBook-based ModbookPro.

But as a general computing device, you'd have to really value the form factor to make it worth it.

And last I checked that's pretty much the price point were powerful laptop tablets sit at.
Most are based on the Intel atom processors not i5 or i7.
In fact anything that isn't a "nerfed toiletreader" (patented by Apple) costs quite a lot if you want it in a small package.

But yes, a grand is a lot to pay for a tablet sized laptop either way.
Although if it were called mac-something and not include the digitizer then it would be a steal, since that's how the tech world works these days.

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
57. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 17, 2013, 14:55 Raptor

Some of the opinions here are just impossible to agree with, much less see any reasonable logic in them.

It was the same story with getting Alpha access to ARMA III.
I got in for pennies, played the scenarios, tried maps, did MP and tested the editor - then I moved on to other games in the meantime and suddenly the full game was out.
What I did was basically wait for 50% of discount before getting that discount one year after the full release. (or whenever steam usually does a 50% sale)

That's the logic - whether or not you actually want to log bugs you find (as Gray stated)

Why whine about this model? In early access/alpha you can see whether the game even has potential.

At the same time whenever there's some cool footage shown somewhere people are going "ohhh I wish I could play this already!!"
Well you can play it for a smaller price than the full release, but just not the full content yet. You'll still get the full game eventually.

I just can't get my head around why this concept is so hard to grasp since it's not forced on anyone.

Personally I've lost interest in the SA, doesn't seem like a big upgrade - I got tons of gameplay out of the mod (fantastic experiences actually) and I'm too spoiled by ARMA III to go back to the clunkyness of the previous installments.

Also there's this for ARMA III:
BREAKING POINT
I have it installed, but haven't tried it yet (so don't blame me if it sucks, but forums indicate that it's currently better liked than the SA)

News Comments > Ubisoft Restarted Rainbow Six: Patriots Development
11. Re: Ubisoft Restarted Rainbow Six: Patriots Development Dec 14, 2013, 11:21 Raptor

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 03:24:
Eh, Hidden & Dangerous was always better than Rainbow Six

They should just make "Rainbow Six: Vegas 3"

What is wrong with you?
All statements are incorrect.
Hidden and Dangerous was great, but not comparable really.
I still play RvS whenever I want good MP - it still has a strong fanbase and tons of maps being made.
There just isn't anything else to compare it with - ARMA 3 is large scale, but other than that I think there are basically only 2 realistic games available for me at least.

We need to get back to non-arcade shooters eventually!

Also I have good faith in these guys fucking this one up again, so no worries there.

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
59. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 13, 2013, 03:08 Raptor

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 15:04:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:23:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:16:
I did go back and beat Fallout later, but the time limit sucks. It doesn't make any sense either. It's not like *my character* was running out of water... But no, boom, you failed a quest objective so your game is done. Haha. Try again.

No, but your Vault, i.e. the community you're trying to save, IS running out of water. If they run out of water, your quest has failed: simple as that. Kinda hard to miss...

Not that great for a ROLE playing game, though - eh?

Not everybody wanted to be the Overseer's bitch.

Yeah god forbid that a game give your character a reason for being and then connect a failure condition to it! No water chip quest means your character never would have stepped outside the vault to begin with. Freedom is meaningless if there's no consequences for your actions -- see any Elder Scrolls game ever.

Eactly what I was thinking.
I loved the way you actually had a goal and it was urgent - not the usual "you have to save the world fast!" and then wander around collecting apples and doing fetch quests till you get bored and finally decide to do the urgent matter.

And I loved the ending video which showed what happened to the mates I had collected (hopefully not a spoiler, but the deathclaw one saddened me very much at the time)

damn, now I have the Dx syndrome and might need to replay them again...

News Comments > Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax
29. Re: Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax Dec 8, 2013, 13:33 Raptor

Half life 2 wasn't a slip. No HL3 is a slip!
DxHR was a big slip as a Dx game, but otherwise a perfectly good and well polished game on its own.
Fallout 4 will happen anyways at some point, it's just at a too early phase to show or advertise it yet. I hope it will finally use an engine proper for it and that it won't be so buggy.

News Comments > Thief at 15
19. Re: Thief at 15 Dec 2, 2013, 04:05 Raptor

Yah, I don't recall other games letting you hide under a box to sneak past enemies  

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week
19. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week Dec 1, 2013, 18:59 Raptor

Trevellian wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 13:37:
Fixed the "one-hit kill bug" where occasionally damage from a single bullet was applied multiple times

Fucking seriously?

They found a way to fix realism!

News Comments > Thief at 15
11. Re: Thief at 15 Dec 1, 2013, 18:57 Raptor

mlw wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 14:38:
Thief: The Dark Project remains one of my all time favorite games, right there next to Elder Scrolls Arena and Privateer.

These games originally got me excited about PC gaming and hold a very special place.

Upvote for mentioning Privateer.
This game is so rarely talked about that I sometimes think I only played it in my dreams.

Thief of course is legendary as well and as far as I recall, the father of stealth games.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Patched
6. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Patched Nov 28, 2013, 10:39 Raptor

I was about to come in with a funny comment saying "CoD: Ghosts is not even popular with pirates", but I had a look out of interest and it seems at least wen comparing to Battlefield 4, Ghosts is quite popular.

Top Torrent:
CoD:Ghosts
Seeders 2871
Leechers 10739
Downloaded 26225 times

BF4
Seeders 26911
Leechers 4326
Downloaded 10 times?? (checked second most popular and that had 5072)

So maybe this is a good thing?
At the same time I think it's supposed to be an MP game, so why bother pirating ~30 gigs to play for a few hours?

News Comments > FPS Creator Reloaded Beta
3. Re: FPS Creator Reloaded Beta Nov 6, 2013, 12:27 Raptor

Is this what the CoD games are built on?  

228 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo