Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jarek Forhanon

Real Name Jarek Forhanon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 27, 2002, 12:23
Total Comments 373 (Amateur)
User ID 15637

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Beta Update
25. Re: Tribes Aug 21, 2004, 19:23 Jarek Forhanon

I know everybody may not agree with my view, but is it really too much to ask for T:V to just be tribes 1 with better graphics ???

Actually, that would probably be asking too little. If T:V were merely T1 with better graphics, it would get old. All the roles, tactics, etc, would remain the same. With the introduction of the grappling hook, the useful medium armor, etc, it seems like a lot of new tactics and roles will emerge from T:V. I'm glad to see that. I've played both T1 and T2 for years (including competitive play) and I can honestly say that the most fun I had was when I was learning how to play T1. I'm hoping T:V will be able to replicate some of this novel feeling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Open Beta Soon?
65. Re: the one thing... Aug 18, 2004, 23:01 Jarek Forhanon

What I meant about dumbing down, is the lower player limit, less deployables, less vehicles (goofy looking at that), more static bases.

Most of those are good things. Really, all good competitive matches are 16-man or 20-man anyway. Forces each player to be good at their roles. Less deployables is pretty good, though the lack of portable inv stations has me worried. I also don't like the conversion of mines into a deployable. Seems like that will make them useless. Less vehicles is definitely a good thing, as they took the main focus in T2 and really dragged the game down. As for static bases, no clue what you're talking about. All the bases in all the Tribes games have been static.

News Comments > Evening Previews
8. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2004, 18:59 Jarek Forhanon

Times where I would pilot a bomber with a Bombardier and an outstanding tail gunner with a jammer pack dive bombing and blowing the hell out of the enemy base for an entire game with out being shot down...

That's what I'm talking about =/ Bombers can just hover 10000 ft above your base or flag and spam you with bombs. The only way to kill them is to get a Shrike to fly up there and take them out. Even if you like vehicles, I don't see how you can call them balanced. More examples of vehicle cheapness:

1) Chasing a capper and getting run over by a Shrike.
2) Grabbing the flag and getting run over by a Shrike.
3) Playing HO and getting run over by a Shrike.
4) Trying to grab the flag and getting run over by a tank sitting on the flag.
5) Getting mortar spam from a tank that's hiding behind a mountain and has unlimited ammo to spam you with.
6) Capper grabbing a flag, hopping in a Shrike and flying away.

The only two ways to counter vehicles are with the missile launcher and heavy chaingun fire from multiple players. This = unbalanced.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that T2 sucks. I still play it today. I'm just saying that vehicles suck. If you want vehicles, you should play a Battlefield game or UT2K4. The main mode of transportation in Tribes should be the jetpack on your back.

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2004, 06:25 Jarek Forhanon

Tribes being the first game of it's kind and Tribes II building greatly and perfecting that gameplay.

Err, perfecting it? Base Tribes 2 butchered T1 gameplay =/ It nerfed the physics and speed of the original, making the game feel slow and soupy. They made the vehicles completely overpowered, allowing for cheap offensive and defensive tactics. Tanks sitting on flags, Shrikes running over cappers/light defense, crap like that. In order to compensate for the overpowered vehicles, they also made the turrets overpowered. The Missile Launcher was created as another counter, resulting in every player being forced to carry flares. My main gripe is really with the vehicles, though. In T1, part of the fun of being a capper was discovering and mastering cap routes. In T2, a capper just hops in a Shrike and uses that for momentum. T2 Classic is significantly better than Base T2, but even then, the vehicles remain unbalanced.

Tribes was never about vehicles. It was about fast-paced, exhilarating action. I was hoping that they would totally remove vehicles from Tribes: Vengeance. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, but at least the new vehicles take a backseat in the game. My only concerns for Tribes: Vengeance are the gay-looking trails and the underwhelming sound effects and explosions. Aside from that, I've heard that T:V is even faster than the original, which, in my mind, is the only thing I could ever ask for.

Before anyone asks, yes, I've played both Tribes and Tribes 2 for years. My experience with the original game was much more memorable (though, the process of learning how to ski is memorable in itself).

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 06:28.

News Comments > It Came from QuakeCon, Part 3
10. Re: Aug 13, 2004, 23:33 Jarek Forhanon

Although I'd love to see another System Shock game, I really doubt it'll happen. System Shock 2 didn't exactly sell like hotcakes.

As for DNF (which also stands for Did Not Finish in racing games, hah! I'm so clever), it would be nice if they were spending all this time upgrading to the Unreal 3.0 engine. But I doubt that as well.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 23:35.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source/Half-Life 2 Preloads
121. Re: No subject Aug 13, 2004, 05:43 Jarek Forhanon

You must be a Rebublican, and severly hate ther poor.

Whoa there, I'm Republican and I don't hate the poor. I just think they should be exterminated. Nothing but parasites. >=|

As for game centers, the only reason I can see to actually go to them is if you have a really crappy system or a really crappy internet connection. Of all the LAN places I've been, I've only seen a bunch of 12-year-olds playing CS. Now, if LAN centers were filled with good players playing Tribes, I'd be much more inclined to go. Well, no, not really.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 05:47.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Beta Begins
55. Re: Huh? Aug 13, 2004, 05:33 Jarek Forhanon

ROFL. What a fucking newbie, CS requires no skill? heh heh....

I never said CS doesn't require any skill. I just said that compared to games like Q3, UT and Tribes, it isn't very demanding. Thus, in terms of skill, CS is at the bottom of the barrel.

News Comments > Warner Bros. Buys Monolith
45. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 20:24 Jarek Forhanon

Monolith a good company? Give me a break! They have been releasing junk since that overblown hype called Shogo. The only reason anyone bought their games was hype. If you compare the engine monolith produces with any other game engine of note, LithTech sucks hard.

It seems that you are judging Monolith entirely on the quality of the early LithTech engines. While I agree that those engines did suck, the Jupiter engine was impressive when it came out. It rendered great visuals with a great framerate. Of greater importance than engines is actual game quality. Despite the fact that they used crappy engines, NOLF, AvP2 and Shogo were good games. NOLF2 was great, as was Tron 2.0. In my opinion, gameplay takes precedence over game engines. Just look at Doom 3. Great engine, tired old gameplay.

P.S. Am I the only one who wants another Blood game? Yeah, the sequel was stupid, but I'm sure that another game that sticks closer to the original's roots would be awesome. Caleb > *

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 20:25.

34. Re: Huh? Aug 12, 2004, 05:38 Jarek Forhanon

have seen people switch over to CS from other games and destroy but as we talked about in the previous couple of posts when CS players move to a new game they are down right horrible and can only compare it to their beloved CS.

Well said. Think of it like this: a good Quake or UT player decides (for some strange reason) to start playing CS. Chances are, he'll be a decent player at minimum.

Now, if a good CS player switches to Quake or UT, he'll most likely be horrible. I had a friend who used to play CS and was good. I dueled him on a Q3 map and I believe the final score was 20 to -3, in my favor. We tried to play Tribes, but he couldn't even ski, letalone hit me. In terms of online fps games, CS is simply the bottom of the barrel.

28. Re: Huh? Aug 12, 2004, 03:15 Jarek Forhanon

Hitting targets that are flying through the air at 50 MPH takes considerably more skill than shooting a target in the head as they turn around a corner. As for teamwork, you'll notice that I compared it to the teamwork in Tribes. No game can match that. Not only is teamwork necessary, but so is coordination and synchronization. Cappers will never successfully cap unless they synchronize their grabs and coordinate with HO to clear the flag. It is a thing of beauty to see two cappers coming from opposite directions with a 50 ms delay between the grabs, then seeing the grabber pass the flag to another capper in midair en route to their own flag. Of all the fps games out there, I'd say that Tribes requires the most skill.

P.S. Yeah, I forgot about the shotgun, railgun and machine gun in Q3. But even those require a bit of lead with most pings.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 03:18.

5. Re: Huh? Aug 11, 2004, 23:01 Jarek Forhanon

Counter-Strike is popular among the mainstream because of multiple factors:
1) The game is easy to pick up and play. It doesn't require much skill (just point and shoot). Once you know what the good weapons are and all the good camp spots, you're set.

2) The game runs well on really old systems. A lot of casual gamers don't have hardcore rigs, so CS is really the only active online FPS that they can play.

3) Ping is not a huge factor in CS. Unlike games like UT2k4 and Q3, where each projectile is fully rendered, the projectiles in CS are not. Instead, CS employs instant-hit, direct fire projectiles. As such, lag becomes a lesser factor, as you simply point and shoot at the enemy (things like leading your target or timing are not of great importance). This means that players with 56K modems can play the game and still enjoy it.

CS requires neither the teamwork of Tribes nor the precision and reflexes of Quake. It is the ideal shooter for casual players.

News Comments > Game Movies
5. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2004, 19:36 Jarek Forhanon

Prince of Persia 3D, I believe. Yeah, it was truly crappy. Thankfully, the upcoming sequel doesn't look follow the same path.

News Comments > Competitions
8. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2004, 22:14 Jarek Forhanon

Nope, if she were Korean, she'd be playing Starcraft, not Doom 3. Kornelia is from Hungary. She's also left-handed. So basically, a l33t Quake-playing, left-handed Hungarian girl.

News Comments > BloodRayne Star
2. Worst career choice ever Aug 3, 2004, 17:38 Jarek Forhanon

I really must say that this is the worst career decision that Loken has ever made. I would never be in any movie directed by Uwe Boll, for he is quite possibly the worst "professional" director I've ever seen. Paul Anderson is a much more skilled director, which doesn't say much for Boll at all.

On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how Loken fits into the tight latex/leather outfit.

News Comments > Manhunt Murder?
51. Re: Just A Game = Hypocrisy Jul 29, 2004, 16:32 Jarek Forhanon

I still contend that if the game didn't have the "over the top violence" in the form of the eeeeevil death scenes, it would have gotten much lower reviews.

Perhaps. I was personally disappointed with the violence in the game. I was expecting it to be much more gruesome, yet it still retains the comical feeling from the GTA games (not surprising, since it uses the same engine). But I'm depraved, so maybe it's just me.

Returning to the topic at hand, I can see Manhunt being inspiration for someone who is already unstable. Then again, I can see a lot of things as inspiration for a sociopath. Really, if fictional violence was the cause of homicidal urges, there would be a lot more murder in Japan. Anime tends to be pretty violent and then you have film directors like Takeshi Miike who make films that would likely be banned from most American theaters. This problem with violence is a problem of society, not of entertainment media.
This comment was edited on Jul 29, 16:38.

News Comments > Manhunt Murder?
41. Re: Just A Game = Hypocrisy Jul 29, 2004, 15:04 Jarek Forhanon

I think the only magazine that's called it for what it is was Official X-Box magazine, who saw through the "snuff" and realized that it was a really shitty game. I played it for all of 10 minutes.

Considering that 10 minutes doesn't even get you past the training level, I'd say that perhaps you should play the game more before judging it so harshly. Manhunt is an enjoyable game. It involves a lot of stalking and hiding and can be very intense (partly due to the lack of ingame save). In fact, I'd say that Manhunt is the most suspenseful game I've played since Operation Flashpoint. The main problem with the game is that it goes on for too long. If the game were ten hours long, it would be perfect length, but the game is closer to 20 hours. I had the same problem with Far Cry. Regardless, I really don't see how anyone can call Manhunt a piece of shit. The gameplay is solid and achieves exactly what it set out to do: make the player feel like a killer stalking his prey.

Singles, on the other hand, is a piece of crap. No argument there.

News Comments > No Win98 DOOM 3
98. Re: good riddance ! Jul 28, 2004, 02:27 Jarek Forhanon

I never ever actually went to 98 because all games worked perfect in XP

This isn't entirely accurate. There are still many games that won't work properly (or at all) on XP or 2K. Rune, Soul Reaver, Syndicate Wars, etc. Basically, older, lower profile games probably won't work with NT-based OSes. This is why I still keep my 98SE HD in my system. If you just want to play classics like Duke 3D or Quake, XP should be fine. Otherwise, it's a good idea to keep 98SE standing by.

News Comments > Derek Smart and Freespace 3?
124. Re: Oh yeah... Jul 16, 2004, 03:25 Jarek Forhanon

Hmm, I'd much rather have a game disappear than have it go bad =\ If a franchise dies with a bang, that's good. If it dies through increasingly crappy sequels (ala Tomb Raider), that's a bad thing.

News Comments > War World Declared
5. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2004, 17:57 Jarek Forhanon

Hmm, don't see what the problem with a 3rd person perspective is =\ 1st person and 3rd person both have their merits. 1st person is more immersive and allows for more precise aiming, but 3rd person lets you perform things like rolls, cartwheels, flips, melee combat, etc. I find it fairly silly to write off a game simply because of the viewing perspective =/ From the screenshots, this game has some nice models and textures (though the environments could use some work). My expectations for this game aren't exactly high, but that has more to do with the premise and budget rather than the perspective.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: CWShredder Quits Jul 1, 2004, 04:41 Jarek Forhanon

Hmm, the easiest way to prevent hijackware from infecting you is to simply turn off ActiveX. Without ActiveX, they can't install anything on your computer. In those rare instances where you actually need to have a site install something (like Quicktime or Flash), just turn ActiveX back on. A simple solution to an annoying problem =0

373 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo