Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25328 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again
42. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 13:10 Creston

BitWraith wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 09:45:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 00:39:
LittleMe wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 22:33:
Agreeing with Cutter. The market has spoken clearly on this and people's toleration for poor release quality is at a new low.

Is it? AC:Unity sold fucking freight trains full of copies... There will always be idiots who buy plain broken games then go and defend the game and the publisher everywhere they can, and are perfectly fine with buying something only to have it takes six to twelve months before it even becomes playable.

I bought AC Unity for PC - played it and finished it. I didn't encounter any major game stopping bugs myself.

That's fine, it's not going to hit everyone the same way, but the game was just broken on release, and it sold millions. (though at least ubisoft cleared up most of the initial problems quickly, unlike certain other games.)

The market HAS spoken clearly and the message is "release it in whatever kind of shape you want, we'll just buy it anyway." And then we wonder why publishers release games that are plain broken on release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 13:02 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 02:34:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 00:36:
It's sad news, obviously, but I want them to take their time. I want Witcher 3 to be awesome, and if that takes twelve more weeks, it takes twelve more weeks. I'd have more time to play it in May/June anyway.

(Of course, it's also possible they saw DA:I and looked at their own graphics, and realized their claim that it'd be the best looking RPG ever was under fire. )
Really man? DA:I's graphics are in some cases worse then the alpha release graphics that were showcased over a year and a half ago. Don't even get me started on the plastic models that are used for the medium settings on the graphics option. Ugh.

Because when you're comparing graphics, you... use medium settings? Confused

You'll notice the smiley, I said it mostly in jest, but DA:I is fucking gorgeous, and compared to some of the Witcher 3 videos I've seen (which are obviously affected by Youtube's terrible compression algorithms) it definitely is a serious contender.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2014, 13:08.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2014, 12:54 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 10:13:
For a second there I thought the new PS4 bundle comes with 4 games.

yeah, me too. I was like "WOOOAAAH!"

/sad

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
33. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 12:49 Creston

Arithon wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 10:18:
Those of us who have been playing the game are fairly pleased by the news we get to keep the assets we've traded hard to get since November.

Cheaters will have their accounts wiped if they are found to be using exploits and anyone who wants to "reset" can at any time.

Moaners love to moan.

Half the complaints are based on the absurd notion that there is some kind of finish line. There is NO PRIZE for the first one to a billion credits, no medal for owning the largest ship. It's a sandbox, not a drag race.

Just out of curiosity, would this mean they also don't reset the exploration stuff? As in the guy who first explores solar system A-12345 gets paid for that, and then it can't be explored anymore.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
17. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 12:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:08:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:01:
From what Alan Schumacher said, it didn't seem hopeful that would happen.

I still don't understand why they backtracked on tactics so much, it was one of the best things in the previous games. The AI in this game is pretty idiotic and I guess maybe I wouldn't care so much if the tactical cam was better and the mode itself had queuing but ugh.

They never said, but I imagine it has to do with Frostbite? Maybe it's just very hard to get the engine to queue that stuff up properly?

The hotbar thing is kind of a given considering the console versions have 8 hotbar buttons, they just put a different picture on the interface for it. The rest of the graphical options are courtesy of Dice more than Bioware.

Well, the individually selectable ones, maybe, but Frostbite didn't generate the Fade-Touched textures. We've had thousands of ports where the max textures are what the consoles get, so they deserve kudos for giving us not just Ultra but then even a level above.

I do think the game looks pretty spiffy in terms of visuals but I also want a PC interface and controls that make sense. I hope todays patch is the start of that.

Me too. It's not as if I particularly enjoy the PC controls, although 100+ hours in I don't even think about it anymore other than to get aggravated when I have to do so much fucking clicking when trying to get idiot Varric and idiot Solas out from under that Dragon's legs.

But port wise, it's a fantastic port. We shouldn't just dismiss the port as terrible because the UI is bad.

14. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 12:07 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 11:52:
The annoying thing is their marketing smokescreen pre-release about how the PC version was getting serious attention.

Well, let's be fair here.

- There are a fuckton of graphical options, each individually selectable.
- For most of these graphical options, it can go one or two steps higher than the PS4/bone versions. (They don't have Fade-Touched textures. )
- It supports Mantle.
- It supports 4K.
- It (apparently) supports dual monitors.
- It supports the 1-8 hotkey bar. It's not as great as the previous hotkey bars which were extendable (why the hell that didn't make it over is ridiculous. Playing a mage with just 8 shortcut keys is stupid).

It's just that there wasn't much attention paid to the controls and UI of the PC, but the rest of the PC version is pretty damn awesome. I checked out the bone version on a buddy's bone, and it looked pretty mediocre compared to my "Everything set to MAXXXXXXXXX" PC options.

12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 12:01 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 10:12:
Thanks, I'll wait then. I wonder if expanded Tactics is one of the expanded features.

From what Alan Schumacher said, it didn't seem hopeful that would happen.

Note that the free content will be for the multiplayer, same as they did for ME3. I seriously doubt the SP will be getting any significant free content beyond patches/fixes. (And to be fair, nor should it. There's plenty of content included in the base $60 price.)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Best new Star Wars trailer spoof yet Dec 9, 2014, 11:15 Creston

Old Luke Skywalker

Rotfl

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 9, 2014, 00:47 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 19:25:
It was a speech at a conference, not a court ruling. I don't know anything about him and maybe he has made unconstitutional rulings but he is entitled to his opinion, no?

Of course. The First Amendment protects everyone, even cockbumpers like him. That said, at a time when the entire nation is pissed off over the NSA and their ilk spying on every US citizen, while at the same time doing exactly FUCKING NOTHING to protect our cyber infrastructure, maybe if you are a major policy maker in the US, you shouldn't be talking about how people should just shut the fuck up and take every probe the US government wants to shove up your asshole. With a smile.

Even the majority of the illiterate retards in Congress understand this, so I'd expect a judge to be smarter. Then again, he's 75 years old and probably thinks the Internet is all some DARK VOODOO MAJICS!

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
75. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 9, 2014, 00:41 Creston

Btw, announcements on the forum are saying that tomorrow's patch will feature some of the PC UI improvements that are being worked on.  

19. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 00:39 Creston

LittleMe wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 22:33:
Agreeing with Cutter. The market has spoken clearly on this and people's toleration for poor release quality is at a new low.

Is it? AC:Unity sold fucking freight trains full of copies... There will always be idiots who buy plain broken games then go and defend the game and the publisher everywhere they can, and are perfectly fine with buying something only to have it takes six to twelve months before it even becomes playable.

18. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 00:36 Creston

It's sad news, obviously, but I want them to take their time. I want Witcher 3 to be awesome, and if that takes twelve more weeks, it takes twelve more weeks. I'd have more time to play it in May/June anyway.

(Of course, it's also possible they saw DA:I and looked at their own graphics, and realized their claim that it'd be the best looking RPG ever was under fire. )

74. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 21:34 Creston

DA:I is fantastic for exploration. If you enjoy finding cool stuff to look at and ooh-aah over, this game is amazing. And don't forget to look up in the zones, there's plenty of pretty stuff to see above eye level

As for the difficulty, I play mostly on normal for the zones/trash mobs, but I turn it up to hard for the dragons and the bosses. (And I really only do the normal diff stuff because otherwise I'd have to travel back and get more potions too often.)

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 8, 2014, 15:41 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 14:40:
You can expect the final OR to work with glasses...

I'm not worried about them fitting, I'm worried about being unable to focus on the screen because of astigmatism. But we'll see when it comes out. I definitely need to try it somewhere first.

59. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 15:33 Creston

David wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 13:12:
I find the combat in DA extremely unsatisfying. No matter what class or how powerful the spell or ability or weapon I'm using, it just feels ridiculous at level 20 to still have to hit enemies (even relatively weak ones) over and over and over again before they go down.

? Most stuff I target with a spell either goes down or loses at least 50% health. The only exceptions are things like Pride Demons and Red Templar Captains etc. All the grunts fall like chaff before my magic.

My favorite new tactic is to lightning cage a group of them, plant a fire mine in the middle, then make Cassandra taunt one so he runs to the edge of the cage, triggers it, and gets sucked back into the middle, where he detonates the fire mine and inflicts 6K damage onto all his buddies, which basically either kills most things outright, or has them down to 10-20% health.

42. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 13:07 Creston

Frijoles wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:36:
How's the combat for non-archer classes? The combat for my archer is horrible. I barely even have to face the direction of a mob to shoot them. The combat is worse than an MMO, and the quests I've seen are the same (although I've read that's because I'm in the starter area). I played for a few hours and was bored out of my mind. I'm wondering if it's just that the archer class is shit.

I like the ranged combat, but obviously to each his own. Dual-Dagger rogue might be more your thing. You can get a respec amulet in Haven (from the flag stand at the blacksmith) so you can respec to dual dagger, seeing as how you're already a rogue.

I personally always love mages in DA games, but until you get higher level and have more spells, you'll still be just holding attack for most of the time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2014, 12:31 Creston

Capella wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 17:09:
I lost my best friend today. He went to sleep at 2:45 today after fighting kidney failure. He was only 8 years old. He was so smart I had to put locks on the gates to keep him from opening them. He loved to lean and bark at the birds and go for rides.

I don't want anyone to be sad. I just wanted to tell some one. I don't do Facebook. His name was Shooter and he was loved and is already missed.

I'm so sorry, man.
I've said goodbye to many dogs, and it's heartbreaking each time. The last dog I said goodbye to, I'd only had two weeks. (She showed up on my porch, underfed and nearly freezing, and we took her in and took care of her, only to find out she had Distemper a week later. We fought against it for a week before ending her suffering.) I still felt like shit for weeks after.

But the grief doesn't outweigh all the love and happiness they bring to our lives. I hope you will always remember all the good times Shooter brought you.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 8, 2014, 12:21 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:12:
And he's all over the place

He seems to be suffering from multiple personality disorder, if you ask me. "People should not have to provide photo ID to prove who they are if they want to vote (how else can we let people vote multiple times???)" versus "EVERYONE SHOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT PRIVACY! THE GOVERNMENT OWNS YOUR ASS!"

I am not saying I agree with him, just that the "he should never be near a courtroom again!" seems overkill on one issue for a man considered the most influential non-USSC judge of the 20th century.

Yeah, no. Any judge who apparently does not understand the Fourth Amendment has no fucking business being a court room, and needs to be disbarred immediately. IMMEDIATELY.

34. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:13 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:53:
Axis wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:43:
He basically said They (developers) include "him" in games to attempt to make gay people appear normal and accepted, when they are already normal and accepted - and only serves the developers interest, not gays. There was more but that was the jist of it.

For me, I feel any romance as an rpg line is annoying at best no matter how it's done or who it serves.

That's certainly a fair comment in some respects. In past Bioware games they haven't always handled it well and sometimes it comes off as a bit "we're so inclusive hooray us". That being said they're getting better about it, unlike past games they don't go out of their way to beat you over the head with their sexual preferences or gender identity. That information is there if you want it but characters don't define themselves based on it and it doesn't come off as preachy or self-serving for the dev.

I thought the way they handled it with Dorian was actually pretty well done. You never have a clue that Dorian is gay until it's revealed as being THE major source of discontention between him and his father, who is the lord of a major house in Tevinter where homosexuality is perceived as abnormal and something to be ashamed of.

But then they also ramrod the transsexual crap of Bull's second-in-command down your throat in a way that serves zero purpose and adds literally nothing to the game in any way, shape or form. "Look at us! We're including the transgenders! See how progressive we are!"

Still, at least they're trying, and they're getting better with the gay stuff. It doesn't do anything for me, but I don't mind it being in there now that I can just ignore it. DA2, otoh, pissed me off with it.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2014, 12:23.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 8, 2014, 12:04 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:47:
Posner is actually one of the best judges in the country.

Yeah, any guy who says that we'd be better off selling and buying children on the free market as opposed to the 'system' we have now, and that "the rule of law is an accidental and dispensable element of legal ideology," is a fucking FANTASTIC judge. He's a judge who actually doesn't give a shit about the actual LAW, he just likes debating ideological 'what-if' scenarios and how they could be handled.

He identifies as conservative but gets most decisions "right," meaning that he's pro abortion, pro same sex marriage, anti "war on drugs," etc.

And also thinks that animal cruelty really isn't that big of a deal (despite claiming that he's a cat person), and he "supported the creation of a law barring hyperlinks or paraphrasing of copyrighted material"

But his "obviously I'm exaggerating, but people who are concerned about privacy tend to be people with something to hide" seems to go the wrong way.

Oh what the fuck ever. "Obviously he's exaggerating", MY ASS. He has a history of saying the same fucking thing over and over and over again. To him, people are fucking subjects of the government, and the government should be able to do whatever the hell it pleases. Yeah, no, that's a GREAT fucking judge.

In any case, we'll see how he feels about snooping when Anonymous doxes him and releases all his information on the internet. Hearing him bleat about how his privacy has been violated will be extremely entertaining.

25328 Comments. 1267 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo