Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23223 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 14, 2014, 11:01 Creston

Yeah that's a very clever idea. I'm in.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 17:59 Creston

Obviously I only preordered those games where it mattered to me, and where they said they would allow preloads.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 13, 2014, 17:54 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 13, 2014, 16:27:
You're proposing their plan was to:
1) Build a massively complicated in-game economy
2) Release the game with this economy and supposed balance issues
3) Incite the hatred of all their old fans
4) Take as much money as possible from new fans
5) When that money dries up, close the RMAH
6) Rebalance the game
7) Get the old fans to buy it

You think this was on a whiteboard somewhere?

Not only was that VERBATIM on his whiteboard, but Bobby Kotick currently has this face.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
54. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 17:46 Creston

Flo wrote on May 13, 2014, 16:12:
nin wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:30:
Fantaz wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:25:
love the negative press MS is getting today, like for example this one:

Microsoft Just Won't Stop Making the Xbox One Worse

Anytime Microsoft's nose is bloodied, it's a beautiful day!

Why is that? Among all the big corporations you should never trust, I think MS is the lesser evil at the moment.

I'm not sure by what metric MS would ever be at the top of anything, but it's more because of their humongous arrogance at E3 last year, and their subsequent arrogance afterward. See that Mehdi link that nin posted a few posts back. I mean, it just wafts off that fucking page.

53. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 17:45 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on May 13, 2014, 16:19:
Creston wrote on May 13, 2014, 15:53:
Sony is the only one doing well,
Which is why this is a little surprising:
"Sony execs taking 50% pay cut as big losses loom"

The PS4 is just a tiny little part of Sony, that doesn't even really make that much money (especially not in the first few years of its life). The rest of them has been taking a beating for the past five years.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 13, 2014, 15:56 Creston

Government to citizens: "We don't have to pay back our loans. However, if YOU do that, your credit score will be wrecked, and we'll possibly put your ass in jail."

"38 Studios was a bad deal and a bad investment from the very beginning and now Rhode Island taxpayers are being asked to take the hit for bondholders who should have known better,"

No, they should not have known better. They bought GOVERNMENT BONDS. They are supposed to be the most fucking secure investment you can possibly make.

Destroying that trust is a FAR greater risk than the Rhode Island people having to pay 75 million bucks. (Though I do sympathize with you poor schmucks. Vote out every single one of those shit incumbents who signed off on that dumb-ass deal.)

43. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 15:53 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2014, 15:29:
I don't understand this comment. If one is getting it's ass kicked, then it's by definition not healthy. So how can you have "1 console getting its ass kicked is fine when there are two healthy ones?"

He means Sony, MS, Nintendo. MS getting its ass kicked is fine, if Sony and Nintendo are doing well. But since the Wii-U is completely dead, MS struggling to sell units means Sony is the only one doing well, which is not great for the consumer.

Personally I don't think it's that immediate, though. It's good if they all switch places from time to time between generations. The PS3 was the redheaded stepchild last gen, and now they're on top of the pile, while both MS and Nintendo are tumbling. I think the market can bear that.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 15:19 Creston

PHJF wrote on May 13, 2014, 15:09:
When's the last time any of you wanted a video game that was sold out?

Yeah, that's obviously never an issue with digital.

The only reason I sometimes had for preordering was the ability to preload. My internet connection is slow enough that it takes me 2-3 days to download a game, so if I want to play on release day, preordering and getting the preload was worth it.

But since X:Rebirth, I'm not doing that anymore.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 15:17 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:44:
Creston wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:34:

Yeah, I had about 300 hours put aside for playing it, and it wound up being 4. At least it helped me clear some backlog of old games.

Interestingly enough, they released the big 2.0 beta update today, with a lot of new options in it.

How did you "put aside" 300 hours? Did you take a month of vacation or something?

No, basically I'd said "For the next month and a half, I'm playing nothing but X:Rebirth."

32. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 14:34 Creston

nin wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:49:
(from some other comment) "I feel ya. I defended DRM and the Kinect. Pretty much done with that now. There's nothing left to defend and most of us look like asshats."

Why, yes! Yes, you do indeed, MS fanboys/shills/hostages.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:30 Creston

Tumbler wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:45:
Mine was X:Rebirth.. and you can likely guess my current stance on pre-orders

Yeah...that really sucked. I think the hardest thing to deal with is that even if the game worked perfectly the controls on the spaceship and how you traveled between systems was terrible. What stopped me from playing was the constant need to travel on those dumb highway tubes and the fact that I could never look at the map and see where I was going. Plenty of other stuff wrong as well but every time I'd try and look around, explore I couldn't figure out how to understand where I was going and what was around me.

Today's beta update actually changed both those things (the highways and the map.)

No idea how the new stuff works, I'm not subscribed to the beta patches, but maybe... just maybe...

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 13:34 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:12:
It didn't help that I was really hyped for that.... it taught me a valuable lesson. Now I only buy stuff I absolutely want to play

Yeah, I had about 300 hours put aside for playing it, and it wound up being 4. At least it helped me clear some backlog of old games.

Interestingly enough, they released the big 2.0 beta update today, with a lot of new options in it.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 13:25 Creston

Go PS4 price cut, GO!  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 13:22 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:13:
What I mean about choice negating other choice is that it creates fragmentation. We all know what happens with fragmented peripherals on a console - they aren't supported. So now you can choose to buy a Kinect, but unless you plan to use the multimedia functionality it's a poor choice, because it's unlikely any game will ever support it meaningfully. By allowing the option they've completely diminished the value of the original option.

Which is a fair enough point, but what exactly was being done with Kinect when it WAS the only option? Seven months is probably not the biggest time frame in the world to draw a conclusion from, but the reality up to this point is that Kinect was just as worthless as it was on the 360. It was just a stupid gimmick that rarely worked the way it should.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to turn the motivation for stuff around. Don't force a bullshit peripheral on people with some bullshit promise that "awesome games will come out for it!" (They said they would announce really cool Kinect stuff at E3. Somehow, with this SKU being available in 3 weeks, I really doubt they will.)

What they should have done, from the beginning, is buy a studio, and have said studio make the next Halo Kinect. Then, with it being an awesome title, that would drive sales for the device.

It's probably just their sheer arrogance in believing they can still force adoption against people's wishes, but it's also possible that every studio tasked with such a design concept simply says "Dude, can't be done. You can't play games well with Kinect. It just doesn't work."

Retailers indeed did that. But that means there's room in the pricing to play. Retailers likely weren't selling it for a loss.

No, but they were probably selling at wholesale plus a few dollars to cover their administrative costs, because their warehouses were fucking stocked with those Xbones, and they wanted to get rid of them. Best time to do so is when a hot new game comes out, and you just create bundles for them and sell them without losing money.

That's $50 that came out of the price. EA was probably still making their cut for the game, so that's $30 that was added to the cost. Unless Microsoft was taking a bath there, they could have found a way to come close without removing Kinect.

Yeah, but MS doesn't want to. It was purely the retailers that ate that money.

And yes, it's a false dichotomy. But I never said "this is bad for consumers" I said "this isn't a huge win for consumers." A huge win is having Microsoft finally cut Gold fees from streaming. A huge win would have been Microsoft finding a way to cut $100 off the price without sacrificing anything. This is a victory for consumers, it just isn't a huge victory. It isn't Microsoft doing the thing that would unquestionably be best for consumers. It's just them doing something good.

Fair enough, but that happens rarely enough that it's worth being happy about anyway. Although, again, watching MS being forced to swallow its own bullshit again and again and again in the last twelve months has been truly, truly delicious. I should buy an Xbone just to thank them for giving me such entertainment the past year.

News Comments > GOG.com Spring Insomnia Sale
16. Re: GOG.com Spring Insomnia Sale May 13, 2014, 13:14 Creston

I love GOG, but I pretty much already own every old game I've ever wanted to replay, so all these sales are kinda wasted on me.

Which is probably good, you know, seeing as how I have like 150 games left to play.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption Windows Listing Spotted
31. Re: Red Dead Redemption Windows Listing Spotted May 13, 2014, 13:11 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2014, 02:25:
The Half Elf wrote on May 13, 2014, 00:28:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 12, 2014, 23:41:
One of the best games I've ever played. I'd buy it again for a pc version.

One of the few games I purchased roughly 3 times (finally digital) for the 360, and would gladly pony up (HAH get it Lana... cause RDR has like... ponies. Ok I really need to quit watching Archer) for a PC version.

Barry?
Yes, Other Barry?
When on the Archer train, one does not get off.
Other Barry, PHRASING!!

Giggle

I miss Other Barry.

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
15. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 13:10 Creston

Brumbek wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:06:
Bottom line: try a 120/144Hz monitor and it will blow you away and you won't ever want to go back to a lame 60Hz.

I did try one, and honestly, while it is very nice, I didn't feel it was worth the substantial difference in price.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2014, 13:08 Creston

Awww, RIP Mr. Giger.  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2014, 13:02 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:43:
No, choice can be bad. Choice sometimes negates other choices.

What? I... I don't even... what? Before, people had one choice: The Xbone with Kinect for 500 bucks. Now they have two choices. And this is bad in your world?

I will repeat it one more time... WHAT?

Edit: I see you're talking about the Titanfall bundle, which is nice, but if you don't want Titanfall and don't want the Kinect, why would you buy the 450 bundle if you can just get the 399 SKU?

My point, though, is that having them remove the Kinect is a less attractive option than having them just cut the price, which clearly they were capable of doing because they did so with the Titanfall bundle.

They didn't do that. The retailers did.

What would you rather have: a $399 Xbox One with no Kinect or a $399 Xbox One with a Kinect that you aren't forced to use?

Neither. But you're offering a false dichotomy anyway, as this is currently not a valid choice, and likely never will be. Why on earth would MS do that? It's currently 399 without Kinect, or 499 with Kinect and it serves no purpose other than yelling at your TV.

On the off chance that a game comes out with an interesting use of the Kinect, who wouldn't prefer having more stuff in the box for the same price?

People who don't give a shit about it? People who have seen 3+ years of Kinect and have yet to see a single "interesting" use for it? People who are, right or wrong, worried about the NSA spying on them with it?

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 12:57 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:45:
Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:14:
Last pre-order I did was Age of Wonders III. That's the first time in a long time I've done that and now it reminded me exactly why I don't do it.

Mine was X:Rebirth.. and you can likely guess my current stance on pre-orders

Yeah, I'm still fucking pissed over that. 7 months later, and the game is still a giant piece of shit. They're STILL fixing fucking crash bugs! There must have been at least 700 of them.

Hey, they've killed their company with it, so I hope they enjoyed all that preorder money.

23223 Comments. 1162 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo