Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23029 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2014, 11:12 Creston

Seriously, there should be a law against marketoids.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy III Revealed
4. Re: PC Final Fantasy III Revealed Apr 18, 2014, 11:10 Creston

I was just bitching about them needing to re-release FF3 like two days ago. I am MADE of magic! What else do you guys want me to bitch about so it'll happen? Bidding starts at a 16" pizza with 3 toppings!  

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale
1. Re: Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale Apr 18, 2014, 11:08 Creston

How is this? Is it any good?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 17, 2014, 23:49 Creston

Bucknaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!  

News Comments > Steam Guard Scam Warning
6. Re: Steam Guard Scam Warning Apr 17, 2014, 12:33 Creston

It LOOKS similar, sure, but if you fall for that whole "We need the special ssfin file from your steam folder!" crap, well...

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
7. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 11:05 Creston

If he didn't have the rights, how could he have been calling his game Elite:Dangerous all this time?

Even more surprising is that those rights were held by a freaking IT consultancy firm...

Anyway, good for him. He finally seems to have everything together to make another kick-ass Elite game, and I can't wait for it despite my initial skepticism.

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews Apr 16, 2014, 18:43 Creston

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 04:00:
shinchan0s wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 16:33:
Axis wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 13:04:
Shocked that PC gamer got the review pretty much right...

Yeah, I was going in expecting a 85+ score. WTF.

Color me fucking surprised! Has PC Gamer grown a pair lately??

More that Zenimax didn't have much of an ad budget on PC gamer.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 18:38 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 14:16:
I read the first dozen comments of the SC $42M thread, and didn't bother commenting or reading further having just posted 20 or so comments trying to temper the negativity in the SC Trailers thread. I just thought, "Here it goes again. Hate springs eternal." I was pretty much spent. Need a week or so to recharge the ol' batteries before wading into that again.

What baffles me is why you guys keep trying to "temper the negativity." Why? Who cares what people think about it? If it was on the verge of not making its funding goal, I can see why you'd want to help it as much as possible, but it's obviously doing great funding-wise, so why worry about some imbeciles trashing it every chance they get?

Seriously, stop letting trolls / haters get to you that badly.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2014, 18:36 Creston

BobBob wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:29:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:01:
We just need to set all of Hollywood on fire. There's no point to it anymore.

Vote with your dollars. Unplug your TV. Stop going to movies. Go outside and enjoy life. Encourage your neighbors to do the same.

Haven't gone to a movie in years. Sadly, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
31. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2014, 18:30 Creston

BobBob wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 17:05:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:52:
i'm fairly sure noone forced her to stick a toy plane up her hooha.

Are you rationalizing the the act because a woman did it, therefore all women are 'okay with it'?

She chose to stick a plane in her twat, as I'm also pretty sure she chose to have someone photograph it. I'm not sure that we need to be that fucking concerned over how she's being fucking degraded.

The shitheel who put it on Twitter is another matter entirely.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
29. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 18:29 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 17:55:
I mean I rue the day when companies like EA and Square start putting their games up on KS.

I don't care, let them do it. What would an EA kickstarter get? Twenty bucks, from some EA employee's grandma?

But if that's the only way Square will revisit their great games, well, I'll put up some money. (Fortunately it doesn't seem to be, as they're doing pretty well with re-releasing old stuff, even if it's just shitty old PC ports.)

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 18:16 Creston

Fion wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:53:
I don't think I agree with the trait push-back being a bad thing. After all one of the biggest complaints I hear is 'there's nothing to achieve after you unlock all your skills and traits'. Well.. now there is.

Though I do think the levels at which you unlock them now is wonky. Right now it's 1 every 6 levels starting at 30 and 2 every 6 levels after lvl 66. That is convoluted and a lot of people won't understand when they get traits and why. It should have been 1 every 5 levels starting at 20 and 2 at level 80. It's still 14 traits total and much.. much more simple to figure out.

It's even more stupid when you take their explanation for it, that people did not understand that an 11 and 14 traited character wasn't as effective as a 10 and 15 one. Because apparently there were absolute mouthbreathing morons who didn't get that putting one point more into that one trait so it unlocked the next shield was a Smart Thing(tm).

Anyway, according to Vlo, my warrior is now fucked to the tune of 20 levels. THANKS ANET.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 16, 2014, 18:11 Creston

All selfie takers should be kicked in the head! (Unless they're hot girls, then it's totally okay of course! :D)  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2014, 16:52 Creston

BobBob wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:57:
Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:41:

Hahaha you're so wrong, if anything it would prompt even more jokes.

It degrades women. Males who don't realize this are either misogynistic or uneducated.

I'm fairly sure noone forced her to stick a toy plane up her hooha.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 16:49 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 15:32:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:00:
Alright. They need to remake that. For the PS4. With kick-ass graphics, exact same gameplay.

I'll buy that for $60. Shit, I'll Kickstart it for $100.

Don't give Square any ideas...

Why not? It's better than the shit they've been putting out lately...

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 16:40 Creston

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:36:
Actually it came out last night and I played well into the early morning hrs over all my characters. The patch nerfed builds, trait system, buffed bosses, EU is complaining about multi languages in chat, where before they had seprate servers before, all changes point to make a point of improving gem store purchases and gold sinks, it goes on and on. Just go to the forums and read.There really is so much that is negative about the patch being echo'd on the forums and of course it is being ignored,deleted, and infracted. It's not going over well.

To be fair, the forums are always negative.

And it was a big patch, I'd expect some pretty big issues with it at first. The big thing you're mentioning, multiple languages in chat, is kinda the thing I was most worried about: The megaserver.

Vio wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:39:
Negatives in the pack are the pushing back of traits from 11/40/60 to 30/60/80, and for some it will be a negative having to unlock major traits now, there is of course the option to just buy them; but honestly its taking away the ability to experiment with what you like in early levels to get to know your profession.

I agree with that one. I have a lvl 51 warrior, it'll be interesting to see what's happened to him when I log in. My cynical side says they'll have taken his 40 trait points and turned them into the equivalent of 20 trait points

Fion wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:37:
FYI guys, in the previous systems Overflow wasn't server specific. When you entered an overflow you entered a zone populated with people from many different servers at once. Next time your in an overflow in a zone that doesn't have the new system implemented, ask what server everyone is from. You'll see. :)

So my first comment, that megaserver is just a fancy word for overflow is true then. Once the first map is full, you're essentially just back in overflow again. So the ONLY thing megaserver (hopefully) fixes is to get empty mid-level maps a bit fuller. (and we can't judge that yet, because this has only been rolled out on the newb maps, all of which were basically full on TC anyway...)

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 16:34 Creston

Keilun wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 13:51:
Yes and no. Imagine for a second that we have per-homeworld overflows and all the overflows were only 1/4 full. What the megaserver allows now is that all of those overflows that were previously 1/4 full can be combined thereby reducing the number of empty overflows. Removing the artificial restriction of only people from a given homeworld can populate this overflow should allow for more populated overflows. At least that's how I understand it.

In your given scenario, yes. But that's assuming that the numbers luckily add up to where each world has a mostly empty overflow. If it's a scenario where two worlds (just for ease of math) each had one full overflow, and one 3/4 full overflow, and they combine those, they'll have the two full overflows, one more full overflow from the combination, and then one half full overflow. And if you're the guy stuck in the half full overflow, it's still gonna look just as terrible if you're trying to do whatever the next steel barbie / clockwork knight will be.

The entire problem with their system is that it's linear and never, ever rescales. It just fills 200 people (I think) into a map, and then plonks #201 into his own overflow. As opposed to going "I have 201 players, I need two maps, so one map with 101 people and one map with 100" which is how it SHOULD be done.

So yes there will still be some overflows that appear empty, but it should be a lot less than it was before when overflows were homeworld specific.

I hope so, but on the flipside, it might also create more overflows because maps will get fuller much easier now. And again, if you're the poor schlep who gets stuck in overflow #last, you're still shit out of luck.

I think this is better than merging former homeworlds because of that fact that you have a larger pool of players to select to merge into the same zone. The whole concept of a homeworld is an artificial limitation that doesn't lead to the best load balancing strategy.

I'd agree with that if they did, in fact, do any kind of load balancing, but they don't. They just fill tank #1 until it's full, and if they have gas left, they start filling tank #2, then tank #3 etc. And if you're the guy in car #6 who gets 0.01 gallons of gas, you're not going to get very far.

Other scenarios are a zone that's generally dead world-wide. At the very least the few players that do play in that zone will have more company than before rather than multiple copies of that same zone with barely anyone in them.

Right, which is what I said, that that at least seems like a good deal. But on the maps where that emptiness is an issue, the reason they're empty is mostly because there's nothing there that anyone wants to do, and there's just a few people there who are quickly leveling to move on to other, more interesting zones.

I think that table on this page was a good example of how it should generally increase population throughout all zones simply because of the fact that the number of empty duplicates is reduced.

Sure, but I'd point out that those percentages mean nothing without knowing what they're measured against. Are they measured against the emptiest map, or against the fullest? A 220% increase seems incredible, but if it means it went from 5 people to 11 people, it's not that earth shaking.

In any case, I don't want to make it seem as if I think it's a terribly bad idea or anything, I applaud the fact that they're at least trying to do something, and setting all the world bosses to a simple 24 hour routine means my entire guild no longer has to pester the one guildie who knows what's up at all times.

It'll probably take a while to see if it really does work out that way as they're still rolling it out to all the zones. I'm hopeful anyway. It was pretty depressing to see so many empty zones when leveling.

Yeah, we'll what happens. As for the empty zones, if there was something there that interested people, maybe they would be questing there. As it is right now, there's just nothing that competes drop wise against the Frostgorge train or simply zerging the temples in Orr.

I don't understand why drops aren't simply character leveled rather than mostly zone leveled. If my lvl 70 mostly gets lvl-equivalent gear in any map, I'd be all over the place. But despite them saying that it is so, it's still mostly just low level shit that doesn't even give mats from salvaging.

Fion wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 16:25:
Creston the only thing you're missing here in the Megaserver system is that, yes you could end up in just another empty 'overflow' but the new system prioritizes your placement, to help automatically put you in zones were your guild or friends are.

Sure. Unless it's full. Which is exactly how it is now. If five of my guildies are in a map and I'm in overflow, I can join them with the click of a button. Unless it's full. So there's really not that much difference.

As for the whole "Yeah, but it will be prioritized to put you in zones with your guildies and friends and people from your server!"
Great. I already play with guildies and friends and people from my server. You know... on my server.

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 15:04:
Overflow was never restricted to people from one server, though, as far as I know. It's apparently some kind of myth that people have spread for as long as the game's been out, but I always saw the chat in overflow consisting of at least half "what server is this? It's ____ stupid! No it's not, i'm from ____. Well I'm from ____... It's overflow, duh!" Then they all start arguing over what server is the best, etc.

? I've never seen that before, to be honest, but that doesn't mean it's not true. You sure these weren't people that were just guesting, though?

News Comments > Pantheon Development to "Slow Down"
5. Re: Pantheon Development to Apr 16, 2014, 13:06 Creston

Yet Another Brad McQuaid MMO. YABMQMMO.

But ferreals guys, THIS one is going to be the awesome one!

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 13:00 Creston

Alright. They need to remake that. For the PS4. With kick-ass graphics, exact same gameplay.

I'll buy that for $60. Shit, I'll Kickstart it for $100.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
140. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:47 Creston

TheVocalMinority wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:15:
I'm tempted to back SC as a sign of appreciation for the entertainment I get from reading the blues new comments section whenever the game is mentioned.

I'm sure people have backed SC for weirder reasons.

23029 Comments. 1152 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo