Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22096 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week
8. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:46 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 11:44:
I don't see the link really. Using Rift with it's SDK has nothing to do if the game launches from within Steam like any other SDK/dll. To me it is encompassed on the games software itself.

But why make your own SDK when Valve makes one for you that's integrated with the client on 65 million PCs?

I'd imagine that's their line of reasoning.

Like I edited in later, Valve isn't going to try to use their SDK to murder competing SDKs, but if it's an option and it's good, most devs will likely just use the Steam one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2014, 11:41 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 23:05:
edit: At the time it was announced, it raised more than a few eyebrows, choosing to launch in America and not Japan first. But it put Microsoft on the defensive, and didn't get them time to win over America (MS turf, obviously).

The Japanese market's already sown up for them anyway, so better use your smallish launch stock to grab market share in more contested markets.

Sucks for the Japanese fans, but it makes sense business-wise.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV Illustrious Pirates
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 9, 2014, 11:34 Creston

Tim wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 06:36:
Yup i've already played this some time back - it's easy to miss because the main menu tile for me said still said aveline and until i clicked through that i didn't see the freedom cry dlc was there.

D'oh. I never saw it in my main menu, thus assumed it had never been installed yet.

Thanks Tim.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Apple financing Jan 9, 2014, 11:32 Creston

First we fuck you with the price...
Then we fuck you with the financing!

iFuck. By Apple.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Xbone vs PS4 Jan 9, 2014, 11:29 Creston

Summing Up

So what does this all mean?

"It means we really have no clue what we're talking about, and we're just throwing shit out there to try to get clicks!"

News Comments > BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week
5. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 11:25 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 10:52:
An SDK for VR development. Doesnt the Oculus have its own SDK? Why the fuck would Gabe want to muddy the waters, cant believe he is going to try it but it looks like he wants to fuck up Oculus and push his own thing. Douchbaggery....

He is a businessman. He doesn't want valve to be left standing beside the road if VR becomes The Next Big Thing. (which it won't.)

So yeah, he's trying to tie all VR sets into Steam, so in essence Valve gets to decide what becomes standard and what doesn't, and so make sure that their own VR device will be able to compete.

It may seem douchebaggy, but it's just smart business for Valve. And while I'm not sure the "Devices won't get much traction without it" statement is true, it is true that by using an SDK that's tied in with Steam, you automatically open your device up to 65 million potential customers, and that's going to be hard for developers to ignore.

In a way, this is just Valve using Steam's massive share in the market to make sure they get their fingers in every pie. It doesn't seem that much different from what MS did with Windows and IE? (though I don't expect Steam to start trying to kill competing SDKs like MS did with browsers.)

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2014, 11:44.

News Comments > "Stunning" Nitrous Engine Impressions
13. Re: Jan 9, 2014, 11:18 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 10:01:
So... they made an engine that only supports 30% of the market.... according to this -> http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey and think that's a good thing?

I'm assuming you're referring to 30% of the people owning an AMD card? Why makes you think that the engine only supports AMD cards/Mantle?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 18:53 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:33:
How long have we been saying now that Blue should move to an optional sub format like Ars. I'd happily pay $5 a month to go ad free.

IIRC, he asked the forumites about that quite a few years back, and interest wasn't very high.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV Illustrious Pirates
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV Illustrious Pirates Jan 8, 2014, 18:50 Creston

Yet still no sign of Adewale's DLC for the PC.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - CONSORTIUM
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - CONSORTIUM Jan 8, 2014, 18:49 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:33:
Another successful KS! Email I got says humble downloads later today and steam keys, if requested.

Schweeeet

News Comments > AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
45. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 17:30 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:10:
I don't get the fractioning part. It's not like there is going to be BF5 that wont work on NVidia, sure you may have to uncheck Mantle, but it will still play and look good doing so.

Of course it will work, but if you want the benefits of Mantle, you need to have an ATI card. and if you want the benefits of Phys-X (tiny as they are) you need an Nvidia card. And if you want the benefits of G-Sync, you need an Nvidia card. And I'm sure AMD will come up with yet another thing that only benefits their users.

PC Gaming is at its best when technology is being driven forward for everyone, not for the select few who happen to have piece of hardware XYZ in their system.

I'm happy to see advancement anywhere I can get it. I would say Steam OS does more fractioning than this optional feature.

Why? If you have Steam OS, you can still run Windows and vice versa. Nobody is going to be releasing games solely for Steam OS, they will launch games for both. That has no relation to having either an AMD card or an Nvidia card.

38. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:05 Creston

Oh, I'm sure that Mantle works great, just as G-Sync apparently makes everything smooth as silk.

But they're exclusionary, so if you want one, you can't have the other. Why can't they just license the shit to each other, so PC gamers can have both mantle AND G-sync?

Shit like this never does anyone any good.

36. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 15:43 Creston

AMD has Mantle. Nvidia has G-Sync. Which one to choose?

It won't do anyone any good with the PC userbase fractioning again.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 12:57 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:57:
Happy birthday and best of luck Frans.

Yep. All the best, Frans.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 8, 2014, 12:35 Creston

Great app. Cueue the whining about people worried about sex offenders' privacy in 3...2...  

News Comments > EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns
2. Re: EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns Jan 8, 2014, 12:32 Creston

We know that there was some confusion and frustration around this policy when we first announced the event and we understand. We would assure everyone interested in participating that we have no intention to proactively use these measures or make money from your ideas. The measures are simply there for our protection.

Uh-huh...

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
18. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Jan 8, 2014, 00:57 Creston

belowzeros wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:00:
Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:27:
Does this release contain the fix for browser-related freezing on 400 and 500 series cards that was in the beta?

I haven't used new drivers in forever because of the nasty freezing and bsods that started happening on my 560ti. I can't remember what version it started on but it is just stupid.

It's been mentioned here several times before, but switching the power mode to "max power" rather than "adaptive" seems to fix that for most people.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
24. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 00:53 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:33:
PHJF wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:22:
Sound Blaster Z, it was on sale for $60 a couple months ago but runs ~85-100 on the norm.

Second this. Have one. Replaced an older SB card. Sounds great, and the mic is cool.

Yeah, it seems to be the consensus pick at several places I asked. Went ahead and ordered one. Thanks guys.

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:51:
Hang on...it's 2014, and people are buying Creative Labs? Did I step into a wormhole to the past or something?

It seems that right around the time when Windows 7 basically said "Fuck hardware accelerated sound, it's all software now", Creative decided to clean up their act, hired a guy who could actually write drivers, and stopped including 900MB of bloatware in the software suite.

I know, it seems odd, but who knows. I'll let you know how it turns out.

News Comments > The Division Not Coming This Year?
5. Re: The Division Not Coming This Year? Jan 7, 2014, 22:25 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:10:
Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:54:
Somehow I thought this was supposed to be out in the March to May timeframe of this year?

Sucks.

I'm not sure where I'd heard it, but I assumed it was summer/late summer.

Oh well. Like with Watchdogs, if they're going to try and turn it into a strong IP, they need to get the first one right, so folks will come back for any sequels. I'd rather play an awesome game a year from now, than one that sucks but ships this March.

Absolutely. I'll wait a year for it to be awesome.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
14. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:17 Creston

Since we're talking about hardware in this thread, anyone have any advice for a good PC sound card that's reasonably affordable? (~100 bucks at most?)

I think my crappy Realtek is starting to break down or something...

Thanks for any tips!

22096 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo