Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23493 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 12:38 Creston

Did the Hydrospanner fall on Han's head again?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again
21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again Jun 13, 2014, 12:31 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:17:
Number of Kickstarters I have received on time. ZERO.
Number of kickstarters I have received within a year of the initial projected date. ZERO.

That's just with my piddly $20-$30 pledges.

Imagine a publisher investing millions.
While I don't think publisher's should have creative say... they definitely should be able to demand reasonable deadlines.

And so far, I can't think of one single developer that can adhere to one... even when they set their own.

But a publisher also wouldn't approach a dev with a clear goal for a game, ask for a deadline, then a month later add 10 stretch goals to it and demand it still be delivered on the same release date. (well... a reasonable one wouldn't, anyway.)

Which is basically what some people are saying...

20. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again Jun 13, 2014, 12:29 Creston

PropheT wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 02:54:
I don't see why being clear and upfront about delays is better than not being incredibly wrong about what the original release was supposed to be. If a designer can't accurately guess within a year of their release date I question how they're calculating their budget to pay their people and do everything else during development of their project. The longer the disparity there, the more likely it is that they either fold entirely or cut corners before they can get you what you funded.

Because you are, in essence, asking them to guess how much time it will take to implement an X amount of stretch goals without knowing how much X is going to be.

In every game that I've backed, the delays have been because they are creating a bigger and/or better game, which I have no problem with. Every one of these bigger and better implementations came from stretch goals, which they can't foresee when they set their original release date.

We could argue that maybe they shouldn't do the whole stretch goal routine, but that's a different matter entirely, and (imo) would be foolish of them anyway, as stretch goals bring in a LOT of cash.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
39. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 12:00 Creston

Phasenoise wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:13:
Stretch goal for 47M - Peter Molyneaux joins up to design stretch goals.

That made me choke on my water.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 11:55 Creston

"I'm not superstitious, I'm only a little stitious."

Still a great joke.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 11:48 Creston

So the chief of police has resigned, but that asswipe mayor is still in office. Why? How much more evidence of clear abuse of his power does he need to show?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2014, 11:44 Creston

That Far Cry 4 sharing is pretty damn awesome.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 13, 2014, 11:43 Creston

"So if you allow us to buy DirecTV, we can turn them into a failure too. It's what we do."

Free music with my Prime account? Yes, please.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 6
6. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 6 Jun 13, 2014, 11:38 Creston

"We don't have any."

Seriously, why do people keep making articles out of that lying sack of shit's yammering about how Windows and gaming on Windows is 'critical to Microsoft's success.'

It's not. It never has been. It's not even a footnote on your balance sheet. Why do you need to keep lying about it, Spencer? There aren't many PC gamers who give a shit about MS's efforts into 'gaming' anymore. Just stop pretending already.

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
2. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 11:35 Creston

Normally I'd say "Who cares what name you release something under?" but in the case of Nordic Games, it does make sense. THQ is far more well-known than they are.

News Comments > BF Early Access Possible
9. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 11:33 Creston

Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products

Well that's a first. I guess at least they're making it official now that when you buy a Battlefield title at launch, you're buying something barely worthy of a 'beta' tag.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
8. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 11:32 Creston

If Mac owners want Star Citizen, how about they start ponying up some cash and ask for a stretch goal to include OS/X?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 01:19 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 23:08:
And all of that is exactly why, when I hear this song and dance of "Dragon Age 3 will be better, we swear", I'm instantly skeptical...

I don't know how anyone can trust EA at this point...who are these people who preorder and think "it'll be better this time!"?

Fanboys. There's plenty of them on the bioware forums. People who thought that DA2 was fantastic, and every game should be made like that.

There's no reasoning with idiots like that.

That said, I do think DA3 looks pretty awesome, judging by the probably 2+ hours of video I've seen of it so far, and I am looking forward to it, but I'm not preordering Bioware games anymore. (especially not since most of the 'cool goodies' that came with my ME3 collector's edition were pure utter garbage.)

15. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 12, 2014, 23:19 Creston

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 23:17:
Thanks good sir. Now we shall never speak again!!! j/k

really thanks!

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 12, 2014, 23:17 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 23:10:
I mean really the military brother gets killed at the start and this stuck up, self absorbed no skill brother becomes the great white man chosen by the gods to hunt down an entire island's military, hunt animals, and get high and tattoo'd all within a few days/weeks?

Apparently that was supposed to all be a joke/not real/drug-induced hallucination/"you guys just don't get it, I'm taking the piss at the entire gaming industry with this story!"

(According to the main writer, anyways. The fact that his defense of the story changed on a day by day basis based on what people were saying about it kinda makes me think he actually did mean for it to be serious, and came up with the whole "GUYZ IT WUZ A JOKE, K?!" thing after the fact once he realized how fucking terrible it really was.)

11. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again Jun 12, 2014, 23:10 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 22:52:
Want to make sure I have this straight... inXile did a kickstarter for Wasteland's 2 that hit it's funding goal (by almost 2 times the original goal), and then they did another kickstarter with the same team (that hit 4 times original goal). So they are working on 2 games at one time with the same team and then are pushing back (after several delays) the first game due to money issues because the game has become to large, and affecting the second game with a much larger budget?

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but something just doesn't seem right.

No, that's not really how it went. They did their first Kickstarter for Wasteland 2, which was insanely successful, and basically allowed them to put their entire team on Wasteland 2.

However, once Wasteland 2 was completely designed (ie, all the areas mapped out, all the storyline written, all the dialogue written etc) and ready to be handed over to the guys who were going to build it, they needed to find work to do for their designers. (ie, the Chris Avellone's of the world)

So they came back to Kickstarter and said "We'd like to do Torment, so that while our technical guys and artists and level designers and programmers are finishing Wasteland 2, we can get our design guys to work on the next game, as opposed to having to fire them." (which would have been the alternative.)

In no way, shape or form did they ever hide the fact that Torment was in design, and in design ONLY until Wasteland 2 was finished. Because the technical guys and artists and level designers and programmers they need for Torment are currently working on Wasteland 2.

Also, I have no idea where you're getting the money issues part from. Wasteland 2 has been pushed back multiple times to make it better. They've always been upfront about the why's and why not's. It's a 50+ hour game, it's going to take some time to build and test and get ready.

Once Wasteland 2 is out the door, and design is completely done for Torment, and it gets handed over to the other guys to actually make, InXile is going to go back to Kickstarter to fund their next game, so they can also keep their design guys employed constantly. (as opposed to having to fire them and then try to rehire them if they waited with new KS'ers until the current game was completely out the door.)

I have no issue with it, but I can see why people may not like it. In which case, simply don't back it. However, there is nothing shady going on, or whatever else you think may be happening.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2014, 23:00 Creston

Microsoft should just give up and put out a new SKU. It's getting laughable how pathetically underpowered that box is.  

12. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 12, 2014, 22:58 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 22:50:
I dunno, I'd like to see them continue to expand the game. More ships, more star systems, more stuff to do on planets, more weapons, etc. etc. Hey, if people want to keep supporting the game, why not? $46M sounds like a lot, but there are plenty of AAA titles that go over $100M. I think I recall CoD:MW2 costing $200M.

About 180 million of that was advertising.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 12, 2014, 22:56 Creston

We were INCHES away, but sadly, didn't quite get hard enough.

/shows self out.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Stop FB from using your browsing history Jun 12, 2014, 22:55 Creston

1) Don't use FB.
2) See 1.

23493 Comments. 1175 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo