Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22100 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Oculus Rift Support Nears
1. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Oculus Rift Support Nears Jan 15, 2014, 18:00 Creston

It's good to see a lot of devs starting to support it. The only way the thing will really get off the ground is with plenty of dev support.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
2. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 16:18 Creston

Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2014, 13:05 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 12:23:
Who the hell is Jeremy Clarkson?

You utter barbarian...

News Comments > Concursion This Year; Gameplay Trailer Released
1. Re: Concursion This Year; Gameplay Trailer Released Jan 15, 2014, 13:02 Creston

The result of five genres smashing head-first into one another

"is usually nothing good."

I mean, I commend these guys for trying something different, but we've all seen plenty of games that tried to merge two genres and turn out into a game where neither part is very enjoyable.

Five genres? Really?

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Ice and Fire This Month
4. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - Ice and Fire This Month Jan 15, 2014, 13:00 Creston

I have three King's Bounty games on my Steam account, but no idea which to play...

Armored Princess
Crossworlds
The Legend

Should they be played in order? And if so, which?

News Comments > Broken Age Part 1 This Month; Preorders Underway
4. Re: Broken Age Part 1 This Month; Preorders Underway Jan 15, 2014, 12:58 Creston

So is it really just around three hours, as PC Gamer claims?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 12:46 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 12:40:
It makes me wonder if a provider who was willing to not prioritize access, and actually make a big deal about that as a feature, would find themselves with a large opportunity to grab market-share in 2018 when Comcast is no longer forced to do anything.

The thing is that Net Neutrality would never be an issue if there was competition in the market. If four providers treat their customers like shit, but the fifth one is great, everyone would flock to that fifth one if all providers were available on an equal basis.

Since they aren't, and since most markets are a monopoly or a duopoly at best, and are vigorously protected by the lawmakers that get their palms greased, net neutrality becomes an issue, because the companies that own these monopolies are giant pieces of shit that would set your mother on fire if it'd gain them five bucks. So this hypothetical provider couldn't gain market share if it wanted to, since it can't serve those markets.

So yeah, we're fucked. I give it another five years before some cock-ass congressman introduces legislation that says that it's really just fine if AT&T / Verizon randomly overcharges 5% of its customer base on a month to month basis and treats it as a "revenue stream."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 15, 2014, 12:06 Creston

More like someone getting caught for going 85 in a 25, and then saying "BUT THAT GUY THERE WAS GOING 86!!"

The US and China are no different, and fuck our government for pretending otherwise.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
13. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 12:04 Creston

Tom wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 17:40:
Uh huh. And why is it the FCC's job to ban this?

If you read the article, you'd see that they actually say that it is NOT their job to ban this, just to examine the possibility / feasibility from a technological perspective.

As their new chairman states "We are not the Federal Courtesy Committee."

That said, this will get banned by law before it ever becomes an actual reality on US airlines.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2014, 11:53 Creston

Archer Vice was the most glorious five minutes of laugh-out-loud television I've ever seen. It was BRILLIANT.  

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 15, 2014, 11:39 Creston

"The government exist for Americans, not the other way around," Leahy says.

Holy shit, a Senator with common sense! Can every state just vote for him to be their representative?

Okay, so vote out all incumbents except Leahy and Widen.

Dianne Feinstein, chairwoman of the intelligence committee, contradicts Leahy, arguing that the bulk collection of phone metadata has been essential to preventing attacks.

So essential that it stopped exactly one case of four dudes trying to wire some money to a dude in somalia. In 6+ (?) years.

Anyone who votes for Feinstein the next time she's up deserves to have the NSA put a fucking drone on their ass 24/7.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2014, 11:35 Creston

"If I had a hammer."

- the unofficial biography of Jeremy Clarkson.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 11:31 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 11:03:
The question, now, is if they can change this or if they need Congress to.

I don't think they can do much. I may remember a few details wrong, but the FCC only had authority over old telephone companies, basically. So the only way they could pretend their mandate had any teeth was by saying "All of you are in essence telephone companies" to the cablecos and telcos, because otherwise they would have had to have Congress draw up a new law that said they (the FCC) had authority over all these companies. (the telcos and cablecos)

They didn't want to do that at the time, because there were grumblings from Congress that this was nothing but a blatant power grab by the FCC. (Let's face it, good luck getting Congress to sign off on that when 80% of them are blatantly bribed by the likes of AT&T and Verizon.)

I give it a year before those shitbag telcos/cablecos make deals for "prioritized access" to big content providers, and the rest of the internet goes to shit. Then again, at the rate the NSA is going, the entire internet may have devolved into splinternets in less than a year anyway, so :-shrug-:

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2014, 11:21 Creston

Fucking Genachowski and his piss-ant regulation that doesn't do shit.  

News Comments > Next Car Game Early Access
7. Re: Next Car Game Early Access Jan 15, 2014, 11:18 Creston

It looks pretty sweet, but I'll pick it up once it's fully released. No time to play it right now anyway.

Great video though, Spectral.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 16:55 Creston

LurkerLito wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 15:23:
Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 14:49:
LurkerLito wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 12:33:
Just use AnyDVD HD.

Like?!?!
You use slysoft's AnyDVD HD to decode the disc in the drive (it can do it on the fly so no need to even copy it to your HD) http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html It has a trial so you can download it and try it out for 21 days.

Then use VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/ to play the disc that is in the drive.

AnyDVD HD takes care of the encrypted data (ie it decodes the encrypted AACS data) and lets the player play the disc as if it had no encryption. Simple to use and IMHO the best and most flexible solution for DVD/BluRay Playback on a home built PC.

You could go with something like a dedicated BluRay player software you buy but it is less flexible and puts lots of useless crap on your system like extra DRM modules.

Alternatively, use MakeMKV to just rip a copy straight to your drive and watch it from there. last I checked MakeMKV was still free as it was still in beta, though they make you upgrade versions every month.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2014, 14:09 Creston

I watched the 60 Minutes on A-Rod on Sunday, and it's galling to see what MLB is doing.

I have no doubt A-Rod used PEDs, and he deserves to be punished for it. However, his punishment should be the 50 game suspension every first offender gets. That's what's in their collective bargaining agreement.

And MLB basing everything off the confessions of one guy, a guy who they are:

A) Paying the entire legal defense for
B) Paying his entire 'protection' for
C) Agreeing to not sue if he cooperates with them

and yet they're sitting there going "no, this in no way influences his testimony."

What a bunch of horseshit. Fuck Bud Selig.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Onslaught: Play as Mike Myers
8. Play as Mike Myers!* Jan 14, 2014, 14:06 Creston

(* For only $14.99!)

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 14, 2014, 14:04 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 13:33:
The two are related because the government uses them as examples of these agencies preventing terrorism.

Huh. The ACLU should sue the government if they do that, because, like I said, the SCOTUS specifically said "You know, you can't do that. That's not what you're here for."

I'm being diplomatic, because I know some people, including people here, believe this is valid. If you read my post a bit carefully, you'll clearly see where I fall in the argument about how effective these agencies are.

I didn't think you found it a plausible reason, I just couldn't really see what one had to do with the other.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 14, 2014, 13:24 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 12:50:
I see arguments on both sides of how valid a foiling this is, but it's certainly less encouraging than preventing someone operating solely without government encouragement.

Er... how are the two related? Most terrorist plots are averted because someone talked or someone noticed something that seemed suspicious, or because the terrorists left a clue behind. Not because the government talked a guy into becoming a terrorist, then arrested him for being a terrorist. (something which the supreme court itself actually said isn't something the government/the police is allowed to do.)

Simply collecting information on every American citizen and hacking all the major tech giants has, by their own admission, led to exactly zero terrorist plots foiled or averted. But somehow, in some mystical future, that self-same collection will magically allow the NSA to stop the next 9/11? Even though in order to stop such a thing they'd have to cooperate with other agencies, and the one thing the NSA flatout refuses to do is cooperate with other agencies?

This is the NSA pathetically trying to justify its own importance, even though it really has very little reason for existing.

22100 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo