Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23795 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 11:56 Creston

killer_roach wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 00:31:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:00:
Sigh, George RR Martin. He's going to pull a Robert Jordan on his readers, it's pretty much a given at this point.

So does that mean we get Brandon Sanderson to salvage this series too?

Speaking of that, how did that turn out? Has he finished it yet? Anyone read it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 29, 2014, 11:49 Creston

I actually did a double-take when I saw a copy of Hustler magazine in the airport bookstore the other day.

(And it was only partially because of what the two girls on the cover were doing to each other...)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 Creston

But I'm worried police could overdo it, just because someone is involved in a minor shunt, surely it shouldn't mean they should lose their phone."

I would imagine that police just check to see if you were using it, and if they find you were not, they give it back.

Then again, British police are fucking crazy, so who knows...

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. AMA about Kerbal Space Program Jul 29, 2014, 11:42 Creston

"How do I make sweet, sweet love to you for giving me such an awesome game?"

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 11:41 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:40:
Went to feed the dogs, and I noticed a few of the food nuggets had escaped the bucket. My wife was right there, so I held some up, and said "this is how we get ants" - the moment was lost on her. Still enjoyed it though....

That's a terrible, terrible waste of high comedy.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 11:39 Creston

Hey Blue, that Last of Us Remastered ad pops over onto the entire screen, and I can't find a way to get it to leave other than to actually close the browser... I don't mind a pop-over if there's an X to get rid of it, but I don't see one anywhere...

This is on firefox. I'll check with Chrome to see if it behaves the same.

17. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 18:07 Creston

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:06:
Don't you mean "what took him 15"? They haven't gone into territory he hasn't already written...have they (I'm nowhere near current on the show)?

I'd read a report that said that by the end of season 5 they'd have caught up with him (since they're only doing 7 seasons) and from that point they'd realistically be on their own, since his new book is going to take another two to three years at least.

Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good.

*chokes on water*

Yeah, they're really not. The last book was uniformly about 700 pages of absolute shit in which just about NOTHING happens. It's full-on Robert Jordan Syndrome. (who excelled at having entire books be about fucking nothing. I think it took the Aes Sedai army five books to walk back to their tower?)

Don't get me wrong, it's a good story, and (especially at the time it came out), it's a very different kind of fantasy and for that he deserves praise, but his work ethic is just terrible.

I've written things myself, and it's an enormous pain to finish a book, because eventually the joy of writing that story is already gone (as you've already gone over everything in your mind a hundred times at least) and then it's just really irritating work that you're doing.

On the flipside, as a writer who is enormously popular, you owe it to the people who bought your books / your fans to finish your damn story. And while he understandably gets pissed when people say that he'll likely be dead before he ever finishes it, the sad reality is that it's now more likely than not.

And as good as the show is, it couldn't (or at least is extremely unlikely to) have turned out so good if he hadn't written the story for them. Few screenwriters can create a story from scratch that measures up to those books.

Obviously, but the show is also so good because it cuts out a lot of the dead weight from the books. The show is almost razor focused on the main plot and keeps it moving.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
10. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 11:46 Creston

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:41:
And btw, the new experimental build is fully playable.

Ah, okay. Then I stand corrected.

In that case, I don't really have much of an issue with what they're doing. The guy could still try to be less of an asshole to his customers, but eh, that kind of behavior will always come back to bite you in the ass somewhere down the road.

Oh and think about this, if Chris Roberts stated that RSI was working on another game, imagine how much shit he would be getting, this site would explode with vitriol.

Well, but that's kind of my point. SC isn't an early access deal, it's a crowdfunded game, and they have no other income besides the thousands of crazy people who buy heaps of virtual space ships with real money.

At least Facepunch has other income (garry's mod is still selling like butter) and they sold their game as early access, so it's not really a straight comparison.

4. GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 11:38 Creston

I can sort of understand him not wanting to be there. After all, it's gotta be rough watching other people do in five years what you weren't able to do in 15.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 11:45.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 28, 2014, 11:35 Creston

Well true, but sometimes the actual process of discovery can be cool, like when they went after the wreck of the Titanic, or something similar.

Digging through a landfill in New Mexico isn't exactly an Indiana Jones level adventure...

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 28, 2014, 10:54 Creston

I think the fact that they found the old myth of cartridges being buried in the desert to be true is quite interesting, but it's interesting solely as a fact.

I would never spend 90 minutes of a finite life-span watching a fucking movie about it.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
5. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 10:38 Creston

If this bothers you, there is a very simple solution: Never back another project by Facepunch, never buy another one of their early access games.

I'm kind of ambivalent about the scenario. I understand that they can't just keep working on Rust and then only start to think about something else once it finally finishes. I also agree with his point about buying Early Access, it's not the same as a Kickstarter scenario. Had they Kickstarted Rust, I'd have agreed people had a legitimate beef. With Early Access, not so much.

On the flipside, Rust isn't even anywhere close to being finished, and afaik they basically started over completely in an experimental branch that nobody can currently play? In which case, everyone who bought Early Access is stuck with an old version that's not being updated and is nowhere near finished...

Finally, the guy being a major asshole about it is sure to help him get lots more money, because obviously the cliffyb and Phil Fish style of dealing with your customers is something to be emulated.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 10:49.

News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
17. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 23:50 Creston

This has Massive Fail written all over it, but hey, who knows. I'll be cautiously optimistic.

News Comments > The Walking Dead: Season Three Confirmed
10. Re: The Walking Dead: Season Three Confirmed Jul 27, 2014, 23:49 Creston

Great news. I'm glad it's working out well for TellTale.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
15. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 09:51 Creston

harlock wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 09:35:
the developers say they were "influenced" by AC, thats the extent of it

And by "influenced" they mean "We took like 80% of all AC's animations."

News Comments > Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"
29. Re: Crytek secure funds for transition from life to death Jul 26, 2014, 22:40 Creston

El Pit wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 03:37:
I haven't played Crysis 3 yet, it's one of the 500 games on my backlist.

Crysis 3 is really good, but it's sadly waaaaaaay too short. Which is weird, because Crysis 2 is really long (when I played it the first time, there were several times where I thought the game would be over, and it kept on going.)

Crysis 3 also fixes about the only big issue I had with Crysis 2, which is the lack of open areas to fight in. It's definitely worth playing, I had a lot of fun. It's just over in roughly six to eight hours...

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 26, 2014, 22:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 21:20:
Too bad it's not a new expansion.. Dragonfall was decent, but unless the changes are massive it's not worth a replay...

Except it is easily worth several replays, and this is excellent news.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest
6. Re: Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest Jul 25, 2014, 22:43 Creston

Those are all fair points, I just can't help but think that if you saw someone struggling to stay alive and just walked away from him/her in any western country, you'd go to jail for a fairly long time.

When I read NG's last trip to Everest, and how they passed someone who they said was "close to dying", it kinda sent chills through my spine how casual they were about it. I know, people go up there on their own and accept the risk, but on the flipside, there's like 300 climbers passing that person in an hour, and nobody lifts a finger to help. It seems rather callous.

But, I do understand that trying to help could potentially mean putting an entire group of lives at risk, and that that's a tough decision to make.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Early
1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Early Jul 25, 2014, 22:39 Creston

Well, that doesn't happen often.

This looks interesting, but it seems like something that can easily sound great and turn out to be boring to play, so I'll wait for some people to play it and give some opinions on it.

News Comments > Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"
17. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 22:36 Creston

Online publisher. So, they're not going to develop games anymore, or they're just only going to be making online games?

In either case, I'm glad they got funding to continue to exist, so hopefully noone will lose their job.

23795 Comments. 1190 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo